FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Will we lose (not) our marbles?

Will we lose (not) our marbles?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *obleton OP   Man  over a year ago

THE STICKS

With the EU finalising its negotiation position ahead of the EU UK trade talks starting next month, Greece has thrown in a final clause said to be related to getting the British Museum to return the Elgin Marbles.

It's not a big deal, or shouldn't be considering they are stolen property anyway, but it does highlight the nature of international negotiations and the extent to which all 27 EU members will want something for themselves out of any eventual deal.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Give them back

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Give them back"

Ya, get barr't 'em and charge the Greeks for the storage & upkeep...!

Eva

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"With the EU finalising its negotiation position ahead of the EU UK trade talks starting next month, Greece has thrown in a final clause said to be related to getting the British Museum to return the Elgin Marbles.

It's not a big deal, or shouldn't be considering they are stolen property anyway, but it does highlight the nature of international negotiations and the extent to which all 27 EU members will want something for themselves out of any eventual deal."

I think that you are correct.

Being in a group a lot of disputes, either real or imagined, are not highlighted because there is far more benefit in working together.

Once we leave the group then every gripe that will play well for domestic politics or provides a marginal benefit will be raised.

More things to make sensible discussion harder to have.

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Has anyone been in some of the major museums in the world in London, Paris, New York, Amsterdam, Berlin, Edinburgh , Madrid , Milton Keynes ?? Pretty sure I’ve seen artefacts from all over the world in said museums . Should all that stuff be repatriated too ?

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"Has anyone been in some of the major museums in the world in London, Paris, New York, Amsterdam, Berlin, Edinburgh , Madrid , Milton Keynes ?? Pretty sure I’ve seen artefacts from all over the world in said museums . Should all that stuff be repatriated too ?"
. I suppose it all depends on wether or not it has been stolen

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

The irony is that, if Lord Elgin hadn't brought the marbles back, then they probably would have been destroyed.

You can kick around the issue of being stolen as much as you like. Elgin did have some permissions but they were different times to today.

Personally, let Greece have them back. Show exactly what good Europeans we really are.

belfast/holywood

"Has anyone been in some of the major museums in the world in London, Paris, New York, Amsterdam, Berlin, Edinburgh , Madrid , Milton Keynes ?? Pretty sure I’ve seen artefacts from all over the world in said museums . Should all that stuff be repatriated too ?. I suppose it all depends on wether or not it has been stolen "

And all artefacts in museums worldwide ?. How did they end up thousands of miles away?. We’re they all bought ?. Bill of sale ?. Proof of sale ?

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"Has anyone been in some of the major museums in the world in London, Paris, New York, Amsterdam, Berlin, Edinburgh , Madrid , Milton Keynes ?? Pretty sure I’ve seen artefacts from all over the world in said museums . Should all that stuff be repatriated too ?. I suppose it all depends on wether or not it has been stolen

And all artefacts in museums worldwide ?. How did they end up thousands of miles away?. We’re they all bought ?. Bill of sale ?. Proof of sale ?"

. No idea really , I suppose they might have been bought , there might be a bill ,there might be proof of sale ,or they could have been stolen ,,I see the question is , if stolen , should the item be returned ?

belfast/holywood

Possession is nine tenths of the law

"Possession is nine tenths of the law "

So if you stole something from a friend you'd get to keep it because you possess it? Well ... it's some sort of argument.

belfast/holywood

"Possession is nine tenths of the law

So if you stole something from a friend you'd get to keep it because you possess it? Well ... it's some sort of argument."

Google is great. Start typing “possession is”.... and the rest is self explanatory. We’re not talking about stealing from friends are we ??

So if you stole something from a friend you'd get to keep it because you possess it? Well ... it's some sort of argument.

Google is great. Start typing “possession is”.... and the rest is self explanatory. We’re not talking about stealing from friends are we ??"

Hey if you possess it, nothing else matters. Apparently.

belfast/holywood

Google is great. Start typing “possession is”.... and the rest is self explanatory. We’re not talking about stealing from friends are we ??

Hey if you possess it, nothing else matters. Apparently."

Exactly. Bit like marriage. Men possess the woman. Simples

» Add a new message to this topic