FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > EU

EU

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I may have missed it but the EU seem to have been very quiet during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Given the huge implications I would have thought they would be ploughing financial aid into their member states.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Check the facts before you write something

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

The ECB has released some EU750 billion to help the situation.

"I may have missed it but the EU seem to have been very quiet during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Given the huge implications I would have thought they would be ploughing financial aid into their member states."

Completely correct. You've missed it.

"I may have missed it but the EU seem to have been very quiet during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Given the huge implications I would have thought they would be ploughing financial aid into their member states.

Completely correct. You've missed it."

Nah scaremongering

OP You won get over it.

Or did you

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

So you missed the part about the ECB financial stimulus or EU having a 30 day shutdown of its external borders? The 30 day shutdown is being complicated by the Common travel agreement with Ireland. #justbrexitcomplications.

Maybe you should change your news sources op.

Given the huge implications I would have thought they would be ploughing financial aid into their member states."

What part of 'I may have missed it' do people struggle to understand

"What part of 'I may have missed it' do people struggle to understand "

"What part of 'I may have missed it' do people struggle to understand "

I know it's a tad embarrassing for you.

You've looked a dick and you can't edit the damn post.

"What part of 'I may have missed it' do people struggle to understand

You've looked a dick and you can't edit the damn post. "

The 'I may have mised it' bit is a clue as to me maybe having missed it, ie: I didn't see anything about it on the news. I apologise if that is too complicated for your brain.

Derry

"

The 'I may have mised it' bit is a clue as to me maybe having missed it, ie: I didn't see anything about it on the news. I apologise if that is too complicated for your brain."

Your original post

Given the huge implications I would have thought they would be ploughing financial aid into their member states"

So let me get this right, you're claiming you made a post to comment on what you missed? It didn't occur to be a responsible being and check some reliable news sources.

From here, you came across as trying to be a dick and succeeding in that.

"What part of 'I may have missed it' do people struggle to understand

You've looked a dick and you can't edit the damn post.

The 'I may have mised it' bit is a clue as to me maybe having missed it, ie: I didn't see anything about it on the news. I apologise if that is too complicated for your brain."

The interesting point here is around how many people consume news that omits the positive aspects of the EU. As it's part of their bias and or agenda.

And if people had received a more balanced view. We wouldn't be in the middle of the brexit cluster fuck.

"

The 'I may have mised it' bit is a clue as to me maybe having missed it, ie: I didn't see anything about it on the news. I apologise if that is too complicated for your brain.

Your original post

Given the huge implications I would have thought they would be ploughing financial aid into their member states"

So let me get this right, you're claiming you made a post to comment on what you missed? It didn't occur to be a responsible being and check some reliable news sources.

From here, you came across as trying to be a dick and succeeding in that. "

'I may have missed it' too complicated for you too? There is no major outlet news coverage on this. I still haven't seen it so am only taking people on their word that it is true.

Fairplay if they have, but when was this announced? How is it being distributed? Do they release funds based on a country's economic situation or per capita?

So, no, I haven't made myself look a dick. People who can't understand a simple sentance have though.

And I know I spelt sentence wrong before anyone tries to pull me up on it

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

What are the sources that you've been seeking your information from? They'll have their own news scope and agenda, potentially a political bias too.

Derry

"

Your original post

From here, you came across as trying to be a dick and succeeding in that.

'I may have missed it' too complicated for you too? There is no major outlet news coverage on this. I still haven't seen it so am only taking people on their word that it is true.

Fairplay if they have, but when was this announced? How is it being distributed? Do they release funds based on a country's economic situation or per capita?

So, no, I haven't made myself look a dick. People who can't understand a simple sentance have though."

It was covered by all the major news outlets before and on the 17/3 Similarly the stimulus from the ECB was also covered by the same news outlets. Using a search engine along with reliable news sources will help with what else you don't know.

By *ondoctorMan  over a year ago

birmingham

Wow,arent we all including me,getting nasty with each other,think we all need a break from even this lifestyle and lets get over it,and love thy neighbour when the sun comes out.....stay safe x

I may have missed it but has there been a outbreak of a new virus recently? I went to the supermarket and everything had gone, now I find all the bloody pubs have closed. What is going on

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"Wow,arent we all including me,getting nasty with each other,think we all need a break from even this lifestyle and lets get over it,and love thy neighbour when the sun comes out.....stay safe x"

It's a nice sentiment, but if people are going to start a topic maybe they could spend literally 30 seconds on google first to check their facts.

"Wow,arent we all including me,getting nasty with each other,think we all need a break from even this lifestyle and lets get over it,and love thy neighbour when the sun comes out.....stay safe x

It's a nice sentiment, but if people are going to start a topic maybe they could spend literally 30 seconds on google first to check their facts."

It's interesting from a sociological point of view. Helps to explain why so many people voted Brexit.

"Wow,arent we all including me,getting nasty with each other,think we all need a break from even this lifestyle and lets get over it,and love thy neighbour when the sun comes out.....stay safe x

It's a nice sentiment, but if people are going to start a topic maybe they could spend literally 30 seconds on google first to check their facts."

30 seconds, find bbc link and post it. Go!

It's a nice sentiment, but if people are going to start a topic maybe they could spend literally 30 seconds on google first to check their facts.

30 seconds, find bbc link and post it. Go!"

Do you know what irony is? I think you don't know.

Ahh it's good to see the virus hasn't stopped petty arguments and people finding ways of belittling others while staying on the right side of an enforced holiday

Derry

Do you know what irony is? I think you don't know. "

Immeasurable levels of irony.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

The french police are threatening to go on strike if they don't get more face masks now that will really help keep people off the streets.

"The french police are threatening to go on strike if they don't get more face masks now that will really help keep people off the streets. "

Rhubarb can grow in the dark, but it's leaves grow yellow and the stems are bright red.

near ipswich

"The french police are threatening to go on strike if they don't get more face masks now that will really help keep people off the streets.

Rhubarb can grow in the dark, but it's leaves grow yellow and the stems are bright red."

thanks for that but not looking to grow rhubarb think you need the horticultural thread.

"The french police are threatening to go on strike if they don't get more face masks now that will really help keep people off the streets.

Rhubarb can grow in the dark, but it's leaves grow yellow and the stems are bright red.thanks for that but not looking to grow rhubarb think you need the horticultural thread. "

Oh I thought we were just all saying random shizz that had nothing to do with the thread.

near ipswich

Rhubarb can grow in the dark, but it's leaves grow yellow and the stems are bright red.thanks for that but not looking to grow rhubarb think you need the horticultural thread.

Oh I thought we were just all saying random shizz that had nothing to do with the thread.

"

And theres me thinking france was in the eu.

Rhubarb can grow in the dark, but it's leaves grow yellow and the stems are bright red.thanks for that but not looking to grow rhubarb think you need the horticultural thread.

And theres me thinking france was in the eu. "

Rhubarb grows in the EU.

near ipswich

Rhubarb grows in the EU."

your knowledge astounds me.

Rhubarb grows in the EU.your knowledge astounds me."

Thank you.

Do you know what irony is? I think you don't know. "

You couldn't find the link in 30 seconds then?

You couldn't find the link in 30 seconds then? "

Can you do it? I don't think so

Can you do it? I don't think so "

I didn't set myself the challenge I set it for someone else, you butted in.so feel free to find it on BBC News in 30 seconds. If you can't I will know by the lack of response

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Can you do it? I don't think so

I didn't set myself the challenge I set it for someone else, you butted in.so feel free to find it on BBC News in 30 seconds. If you can't I will know by the lack of response "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51955389

Fill your boots.

That's not technically the EU is it. That is only for countries in the Eurozone, so does not cover all EU member states.

So looks like my first post stands.

"That's not technically the EU is it. That is only for countries in the Eurozone, so does not cover all EU member states.

So looks like my first post stands. "

No, it doesn’t

"That's not technically the EU is it. That is only for countries in the Eurozone, so does not cover all EU member states.

So looks like my first post stands.

No, it doesn’t "

Yes it does.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

This is on the Commission website. Where were you looking?

If you search "EU commission Coronavirus" it's the first result.

Risk Assessment

The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) is an EU agency aimed at strengthening Europe's defences against infectious diseases.

The ECDC’s key role is to assess the threat from a scientific viewpoint. It produces rapid risk assessments and provides epidemiological updates. It also provides technical support by issuing various specific guidance for how to respond to the outbreak, including on surveillance, preparedness and response planning and laboratory support.

The latest risk assessment and Questions & Answers on COVID-19, including medical information and advice on prevention, are available under the respective links.

European Team of scientific experts

The European Commission launched on 17 March 2020 an advisory panel on COVID-19 composed of epidemiologists and virologists from different Member States to formulate EU guidelines on science-based and coordinated risk management measures. The panel, which was created following a mandate by EU Member States, will be chaired by the Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen, and co-chaired by Stella Kyriakides, Commissioner for health and food safety.

The panel will provide advice to the Commission on the following:

Formulation of response measures to be addressed to all Member States

Identification and mitigation of significant gaps and inconsistencies in measures to contain the spread of COVID19, including in clinical management and treatment

Prioritisation of health care, civil protection and other resources as well as support measures to be organised or coordinated at EU level

Subsequently, recommendation of policy measures for addressing and mitigating long-term consequences of COVID-19.

Requests for medical equipment: Italy on 26 February and Spain on 16 March requested through the EU Civil Protection Mechanism additional protective material, in particular medical masks. The Commission has relayed these requests to all Member States to mobilise offers of assistance. This initiative complements the Commission coordination activities with Member States in the area of joint procurements for urgently needed supplies

On 19 March, the European Commission decided to create a strategic rescEU stockpile - a common European reserve - of emergency medical equipment, such as ventilators, protective masks and laboratory supplies to help EU countries in need. The Commission will finance 90% of the stockpile and the latter will be hosted by one or several Member States. The hosting State will be responsible for procuring the equipment. The Emergency Response Coordination Centre will manage the distribution of the equipment to ensure it goes where it is needed most.

The initial EU budget of the stockpile is €50 million, of which €40 million is subject to the approval of the budgetary authorities.

Repatriation Flights

The Commission is helping Member States to co-ordinate assistance and consular repatriation operations to EU citizens worldwide. Once a Member States activates the EU Civil Protection Mechanism, the Commission’s Emergency Response Coordination Centre (ERCC) coordinates all actions with the European External Action Service and with Member States in EU capitals. It can also co-finance transportation costs up to 75%. Non-EU citizens can also benefit from this assistance. To date, more than 1.800 citizens have been repatriated via the EU Civil Protection Mechanism.

In the following days, Germany, Belgium and Latvia, with EU support, are organising repatriation flights to bring back EU citizens stranded in countries such as Georgia, Egypt, Morocco, The Philippines, Tunisia and Argentina.

Earlier this week, two Austrian flights, also under the EU Civil Protection Mechanism, brought back 604 EU citizens from Morocco.

The European Civil Protection Mechanism has so also facilitated the repatriation of EU citizens to Europe from Wuhan, Japan, Oakland and Morocco since the beginning of the COVID outbreak.

Map of coronavirus crisis management

Assistance to China: At the outset of the COVID-19 outbreak, the Commission also coordinated and co-financed the delivery of emergency medical supplies to China through the EU Civil Protection Mechanism. Over 56 tonnes of personal protective equipment (protective clothing, disinfectant and medical masks) have been delivered to China, provided by France, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Estonia, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovenia.

Funding: The Commission has mobilised more than €400 million to boost global preparedness, prevention and containment of the virus. With this contribution, the EU will support the World Health Organization (WHO), in particular the global preparedness and response global plan. We will also boost pharmaceutical development and research projects on epidemiology, diagnostics, therapeutics and clinical management. Moreover, under the “Corona Response Investment Initiative”, the Commission proposes to release €7.5 billion of investment liquidity to deal with the fallout of the Coronavirus crisis.

Actions to tackle the current outbreak of the novel coronavirus

€47.5 million for 17 shortlisted research projects

A better understanding of COVID-19 and its spread is essential in order to detect the disease, treat and protect patients and ultimately control the epidemic. This is why on 30 January 2020, the European Commission launched a request for expressions of interest entitled 'SC1-PHE-CORONAVIRUS-2020: Advancing knowledge for the clinical and public health response to the [COVID-19] epidemic' with a budget of €47.5 million.

European Virus Archive

The European Virus Archive - GLOBAL (EVA-GLOBAL or EVAg) is a virtual collection for human, animal and plant viruses, that provides researchers with the necessary material for diagnosing coronavirus infection. It was awarded €12.2 million in 2015,

European Virus Archive website

Project details

Story: Coordinated global virus collection to boost disease control

Versatile Emerging infectious disease Observatory (VEO)

This new project received a €15 million EU grant in January 2020 for diagnostics and data mining, including the use of social media.

VEO website

Project details

MOnitoring Outbreak events for Disease surveillance in a data science context (MOOD)

In January 2020, this new project received €14 million to focus on data mining and providing epidemic modelling.

MOOD website

Project details

Global research collaboration for infectious disease preparedness network (GLoPID-R) network

The Commission is working with other research funders through GLopid-R. This network is mobilised to facilitate a rapid and effective response to this outbreak, through the coordination of research agenda and addressing priority research needs. The EU grant to support this network is €1.3 million.

GLOPID-R website

Project details

The EXSCALATE platform

One of the outcomes of the EU funded project Antarex. It is fully operational at the Italian Supercomputer in CINECA, analysing COVID-19 proteins based on data available from the scientific community in order to accelerate the search of an effective therapy against the pandemic virus.

Project website

Project details

HPC Centre of Excellence for Computational Biomolecular Research (BioExcel)

The applications of this centre or excellence can be used for on-demand, large-scale virtual screening of potential medical compounds such as small molecule drugs, antibodies etc. The applicability depends on the specific case of pandemic cause.

Project website

Project details

EuroHPC Joint Undertaking

The access policy of this joint undertaking foresees prioritised and immediate access to its supercomputers for emergencies - as is the case in pandemic crises.

Corona Response Investment Initiative

The Corona Response Investment Initiative will be directed at

the health care systems

SMEs

labour markets

other vulnerable parts of our economies

In order to quickly direct €25 billion of European public investment to deal with the fallout of the Coronavirus crisis, the Commission will propose to relinquish this year its obligation to request refunding of unspent pre-financing for European structural and investment funds currently held by Member States.

Thanks for that, confirms nothing on mainstream news outlets. So I am vindicated.

Took them until the 17th March to do pretty much fuck all in the greater scheme of things.

West London

"Thanks for that, confirms nothing on mainstream news outlets. So I am vindicated.

Took them until the 17th March to do pretty much fuck all in the greater scheme of things."

News outlets?

Who cares about news outlets?

You are not vindicated. You had a rant.

You were wrong. You are incapable of accepting that.

So be it. Carry on

"Thanks for that, confirms nothing on mainstream news outlets. So I am vindicated.

Took them until the 17th March to do pretty much fuck all in the greater scheme of things.

News outlets?

Who cares about news outlets?

You are not vindicated. You had a rant.

You were wrong. You are incapable of accepting that.

So be it. Carry on "

If you read the thread from the top down you will notice that at no point have I had a rant. You will also note mainstream news outlets is important to this thread. You will also notice that I was prepared to accept being wrong, but I wasn't.

As for the commission website? I don't get my news from there. Lets be honest; what kind of sad twat would even bother reading it? Fuck me, their life must be shit if thats how they spend their spare time

On that note I bid you farewell

West London

..and there is the abuse when you are called out

Actually the EU have been busy. You posted a thread specifically about EU activity but didn't look at the organisation directly.

All that you have highlighted is that they don't self-publicise and you don't look for information thoroughly.

You wanted to be spoon fed by news organisations that you distrust

and there Ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of what happens when you only use biased news organisations

"and there Ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of what happens when you only use biased news organisations "

That's what I think is the interesting thing to come out of this thread.

There have been a lot of interesting pieces written about the certain sections of the UK media and their bias against the EU. Interesting to see it's still happening even though they "won".

"and there Ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of what happens when you only use biased news organisations

There have been a lot of interesting pieces written about the certain sections of the UK media and their bias against the EU. Interesting to see it's still happening even though they "won".

"

If you've campaigned on a bed of lies then surely you'd feel obliged to continue.

West London

"and there Ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of what happens when you only use biased news organisations

If you've campaigned on a bed of lies then surely you'd feel obliged to continue. "

Strictly speaking, this isn't lying, it's omission.

Tantamount to the same thing of course if you only proclaim negatives and ignore positives of vice versa.

"..and there is the abuse when you are called out

Actually the EU have been busy. You posted a thread specifically about EU activity but didn't look at the organisation directly.

All that you have highlighted is that they don't self-publicise and you don't look for information thoroughly.

You wanted to be spoon fed by news organisations that you distrust "

Who's been called out? I have made a statement, and that statement is correct. Not my fault if people can't understand it.

I certainly haven't knowingly insulted anyone either.

Also turns out my secondary point was proved right as well.

"and there Ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of what happens when you only use biased news organisations "

What the biased BBC, ITV and Sky News? The bastards

Who's been called out? I have made a statement, and that statement is correct. Not my fault if people can't understand it.

Also turns out my secondary point was proved right as well."

So your main point is that you missed some news?

Yeah. 2nd one was that so did all major news outlets. 3rd one, while I remember, the news I missed is that the EU have done pretty much fuck all in the greater scheme of things.

Fortunately governments all over Europe are doing plenty, which is the important news.

West London

Also turns out my secondary point was proved right as well."

It is your fault if nobody can understand what your saying

Perhaps your ego won't let you admit it? That seems to be the case quite often.

When you bid farewell to make a dramatic point, it does rather undercut the effect when you come back.

Just saying

By *revaunanceCouple  over a year ago

Exeter

All this attitude, wow.

OP, I typed ECB into google. The first entry was the English Cricket Board, the second entry was this:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/blog/date/2020/html/ecb.blog200319~11f421e25e.en.html

Now, is there anything else you haven't taken any notice of but want to ask about? You know, in case you missed it

"All this attitude, wow.

OP, I typed ECB into google. The first entry was the English Cricket Board, the second entry was this:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/blog/date/2020/html/ecb.blog200319~11f421e25e.en.html

Now, is there anything else you haven't taken any notice of but want to ask about? You know, in case you missed it "

The thread isn't about the ECB

Exeter

"30 seconds, find bbc link and post it. Go!"

Searched BBC ECB (could have got some very different results though!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cnx753jen3zt/european-central-bank-ecb

Now you can keep up

When you bid farewell to make a dramatic point, it does rather undercut the effect when you come back.

Just saying "

Came back for my own entertainment as I knew you would want to get the final word in. I was right, again I'll bet anything you want that you feel the need to again

On that note I am definitely leaving as my initial post remains valid. The EU have essentially done very little, in the greater scheme of things, for their member states.

Exeter

"The thread isn't about the ECB"

No, it's about the EU. The ECB happens to be a large part of the EU, perhaps you'd like this quote from their website: "The ECB is an official EU institution at the heart of the Eurosystem as well as the Single Supervisory Mechanism for banking supervision".

So it looks like you simply missed the EU doing something days before your original post.

West London

Just saying

Came back for my own entertainment as I knew you would want to get the final word in. I was right, again I'll bet anything you want that you feel the need to again

On that note I am definitely leaving as my initial post remains valid. The EU have essentially done very little, in the greater scheme of things, for their member states."

Of course I'm back Mr Ego.

Having made tour second dramatic exit I am excited about seeing your second triumphant return.

Wrong repeatedly but utterly unable to accept it.

The information is there. The EU have been busy, you just seem to be struggling with the internet

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Yes the EU are busy using this issue as an excuse for greater powers of control, how blind fo these people be that this is not the time.meanwhile many countries are sticking two fingers up and keeping supplies to themselves rather than letting others in the club have them.

"Yes the EU are busy using this issue as an excuse for greater powers of control, how blind fo these people be that this is not the time.meanwhile many countries are sticking two fingers up and keeping supplies to themselves rather than letting others in the club have them."

This is amazing. This post should be preserved for history classes in the future when they look back at this time. "Yes kids, people really did believe this kind of thing".

"Yes the EU are busy using this issue as an excuse for greater powers of control, how blind fo these people be that this is not the time.meanwhile many countries are sticking two fingers up and keeping supplies to themselves rather than letting others in the club have them.

This is amazing. This post should be preserved for history classes in the future when they look back at this time. "Yes kids, people really did believe this kind of thing"."

You forgot about the unicorns

West London

"Yes the EU are busy using this issue as an excuse for greater powers of control, how blind fo these people be that this is not the time.meanwhile many countries are sticking two fingers up and keeping supplies to themselves rather than letting others in the club have them."

This is absolutely possible.

What is your source of this information?

bournemouth

"Yes the EU are busy using this issue as an excuse for greater powers of control, how blind fo these people be that this is not the time.meanwhile many countries are sticking two fingers up and keeping supplies to themselves rather than letting others in the club have them.

What is your source of this information?"

It was an article from a european news agency on the news feed on my phone yesterday.

Basically the EU want power to have total control on how all countries react to these sort of crises, from central organisation of supplies to ordering lockdown etc etc.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

I remember reading in early March that France, Germany and some other euro countries were restricting essential equipment being exported to other EU countries desperately in need.

More recently there were reports of Italy receiving emergency supplies from China, as support from the EU was not

forthcoming .

West London

I remember reading in early March that France, Germany and some other euro countries were restricting essential equipment being exported to other EU countries desperately in need.

More recently there were reports of Italy receiving emergency supplies from China, as support from the EU was not

forthcoming .

"

If there is a shortage of supplies how can support from the EU be "forthcoming"?

That really is a nonsense isn't it?

West London

It was an article from a european news agency on the news feed on my phone yesterday.

Basically the EU want power to have total control on how all countries react to these sort of crises, from central organisation of supplies to ordering lockdown etc etc."

Which "news agency" reports that the EU " wants power to have total control"?

here

forthcoming .

If there is a shortage of supplies how can support from the EU be "forthcoming"?

That really is a nonsense isn't it?"

More recently there were reports of Italy receiving emergency supplies from China, as support from the EU was not forthcoming .

Basically the EU want power to have total control on how all countries react to these sort of crises, from central organisation of supplies to ordering lockdown etc etc.

Which "news agency" reports that the EU " wants power to have total control"? "

Also waiting to see this answer.

I'll stake my house and a 12 pack of bog rolls on this being bollocks.

Basically the EU want power to have total control on how all countries react to these sort of crises, from central organisation of supplies to ordering lockdown etc etc."

Did you get that information from the same place as the ‘80% need to get the virus before winter ‘ source.

West London

forthcoming .

More recently there were reports of Italy receiving emergency supplies from China, as support from the EU was not forthcoming .

"

Is there any particular reason you just repeated the same thing?

Shall I do the same?

I will rephrase it as well. The supplies do not exist. The EU cannot provide what does not exist.

Unless you think that there is a way that they can. If so, please share. It would solve a lot of problems for a lot of people

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I did see some Doctors from Cuba being sent to Italy to help.

West London

"I did see some Doctors from Cuba being sent to Italy to help. "

They are apparently a international award winning team on pandemic medical treatment.

It's strange how Cuba ended up with this particular skill but there you go.

Good of them, and the Chinese to help.

Soft power. Foreign aid.

Not such a terrible thing sometimes although as Europe has a space program they probably shouldn't be offered any help

near ipswich

"I did see some Doctors from Cuba being sent to Italy to help.

They are apparently a international award winning team on pandemic medical treatment.

It's strange how Cuba ended up with this particular skill but there you go.

Good of them, and the Chinese to help.

Soft power. Foreign aid.

Not such a terrible thing sometimes although as Europe has a space program they probably shouldn't be offered any help "

They have both sent doctors to Iran too nice to see the world coming together.

here

forthcoming .

Shall I do the same?

I will rephrase it as well. The supplies do not exist. The EU cannot provide what does not exist.

Unless you think that there is a way that they can. If so, please share. It would solve a lot of problems for a lot of people "

The supplies did exist, but Germany and other Eu countries were not forthcoming in sending any of them to the most corona ravaged Eu country. It fell to the Chinese to step in and provide much needed emergency support ...

West London

forthcoming .

Shall I do the same?

Unless you think that there is a way that they can. If so, please share. It would solve a lot of problems for a lot of people

The supplies did exist, but Germany and other Eu countries were not forthcoming in sending any of them to the most corona ravaged Eu country. It fell to the Chinese to step in and provide much needed emergency support ...

"

...and your source is?

here

forthcoming .

Shall I do the same?

...and your source is?"

FT.com - "Italy wonders where Europe’s solidarity is as corona virus strains show - Germany blocks exports of medical supplies to Rome and ECB president shakes market confidence"

West London

forthcoming .

Shall I do the same?

...and your source is?

FT.com - "Italy wonders where Europe’s solidarity is as corona virus strains show - Germany blocks exports of medical supplies to Rome and ECB president shakes market confidence"

"

Is this mentioned in the article anywhere? So you think that in a time like this resources should go to the wealthiest or the most in need?

Germany’s health minister signaled that Berlin could ease restrictions going forward, particularly to its European partners.

“I take this issue of European solidarity very seriously and am therefore certain there will be authorizations soon to export masks to certain countries,” Health Minister Jens Spahn said at a news conference in Berlin on Monday. “We’re not categorically against exports but want to understand what happens, because previously it was so that masks went not where they were most needed but where most was paid.”

bournemouth

forthcoming .

Shall I do the same?

...and your source is?"

The new york times

here

"

Is this mentioned in the article anywhere? "

what is it you are asking?

" So you think that in a time like this resources should go to the wealthiest or the most in need? "

most in need - every little helps

"Germany’s health minister signaled that Berlin could ease restrictions going forward, particularly to its European partners.

“I take this issue of European solidarity very seriously and am therefore certain there will be authorizations soon to export masks to certain countries,” Health Minister Jens Spahn said at a news conference in Berlin on Monday. “We’re not categorically against exports but want to understand what happens, because previously it was so that masks went not where they were most needed but where most was paid.”"

i think this is from another source. not in the piece i read.

if support, however large or small, is now flowing to the EU countries in desperate need, thats all that matters.

Exeter

"...and your source is?

The new york times"

A few posts ago you said it was FT.com!

https://www.ft.com/content/d3bc25ea-652c-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

West London

"...and your source is?

The new york times

https://www.ft.com/content/d3bc25ea-652c-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5"

No, that was someone else to be fair.

They did say it was a European publication though.

Anyone can make a mistake.

West London

Still waiting on your source for this...

West London

There are two people arguing against the EU but saying opposite things.

One that the EU is trying to take control of every country and one saying that they are not forcing countries to work together enough.

Curious.

It is amazing that brexiters are constantly trying to blame and accuse the EU of something that is not true.

I am sure they miss the EU very much. They quickly began to miss

bournemouth

"...and your source is?

The new york times

https://www.ft.com/content/d3bc25ea-652c-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5"

No I didnt that must have been someone else ft is behind paywall

bournemouth

"...and your source is?

The new york times

Anyone can make a mistake."

No the euro one was about the eu( one of the top bods at least) wanting more power to control things in this sort of situation, he was criticising the way different countries were doing different things.

bournemouth

"It is amazing that brexiters are constantly trying to blame and accuse the EU of something that is not true.

I am sure they miss the EU very much. They quickly began to miss "

What the euro army that isnt going to happen but is, so much evidence yet so much denial

"It is amazing that brexiters are constantly trying to blame and accuse the EU of something that is not true.

What the euro army that isnt going to happen but is, so much evidence yet so much denial"

The euro army will never happen, you were fed lies and you believed them . How is the ‘80 % need to catch the virus before winter ‘ theory going?

West London

"...and your source is?

The new york times

Anyone can make a mistake.

No the euro one was about the eu( one of the top bods at least) wanting more power to control things in this sort of situation, he was criticising the way different countries were doing different things."

So which is it?

The EU "failing" because they want more power or because they haven't got enough power?

Still so reference for your assertion on "top EU bods"

What the euro army that isnt going to happen but is, so much evidence yet so much denial"

Just a general FYI the daily mail doesn't count as "Evidence".

What does this have to do with helping fight the pandemic? Should Euro Army soldiers shoot people who break the quarantine rules?

bournemouth

What the euro army that isnt going to happen but is, so much evidence yet so much denial

The euro army will never happen, you were fed lies and you believed them . How is the ‘80 % need to catch the virus before winter ‘ theory going? "

Try doing some research there are plenty of quotes from officials/politicians etc stating that's what they want, several people have posted links to them before, if you dont want to look then that's up to you.

bournemouth

Just a general FYI the daily mail doesn't count as "Evidence"."

Not sure what the DM has do with it, there are plenty of european reports of direct quotes from those in the power loop

West London

The euro army will never happen, you were fed lies and you believed them . How is the ‘80 % need to catch the virus before winter ‘ theory going?

Try doing some research there are plenty of quotes from officials/politicians etc stating that's what they want, several people have posted links to them before, if you dont want to look then that's up to you."

Forget the "EU army" that nobody could be compelled to join.

It's a distraction.

Where is the reference to the EU wanting to take control over the Coronavirus?

How do you square that with the other poster saying that the EU is failing because it apparently doesn't have enough control to compel members to do things?

Not sure what the DM has do with it, there are plenty of european reports of direct quotes from those in the power loop "

Sounds legit.

West London

Not sure what the DM has do with it, there are plenty of european reports of direct quotes from those in the power loop

Sounds legit. "

In fairness, senior individuals in the EU have suggested the idea.

That is a long way from it being EU policy, it actually happening or any member state agreeing to it. They certainly couldn't be compelled.

It's pure speculation. Just like the Brexit unicorns

Try doing some research there are plenty of quotes from officials/politicians etc stating that's what they want, several people have posted links to them before, if you dont want to look then that's up to you."

‘Plenty of quotes’ ? You do realise that an EU army can only happen If every single member state agrees to it, if we had stayed we could have stopped it .

Try doing some research there are plenty of quotes from officials/politicians etc stating that's what they want, several people have posted links to them before, if you dont want to look then that's up to you.

‘Plenty of quotes’ ? You do realise that an EU army can only happen If every single member state agrees to it, if we had stayed we could have stopped it . "

And we're back around to the original theme of the thread.

Brexiteers with half of the information. Or with crucial parts missing.

West London

The irony builds. The UK doesn't want to join in an EU medical equipment purchasing scheme because Brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-medical-equipment-eu-brexit-a9424631.html

"The irony builds. The UK doesn't want to join in an EU medical equipment purchasing scheme because Brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-medical-equipment-eu-brexit-a9424631.html"

The time will come that Johnson and the Tories will pay for their stupidity. Of course there will be fools here who will support this imbecile.

you guys will chat about anything no matter how much nonsense

reminds me of that programme years ago

Jackanory

near ipswich

"The irony builds. The UK doesn't want to join in an EU medical equipment purchasing scheme because Brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-medical-equipment-eu-brexit-a9424631.html"

A good job to the eu procurement process is to slow.Spain just like italy do not have enough ppe.1 in 10 of health workers in spain now have the virus.The eu has only procured 10% of what is needed across the eu members.

West London

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-medical-equipment-eu-brexit-a9424631.htmlA good job to the eu procurement process is to slow.Spain just like italy do not have enough ppe.1 in 10 of health workers in spain now have the virus.The eu has only procured 10% of what is needed across the eu members. "

So slow?

How are we doing with our PPE supplies? How about the US?

What do you actually expect?

Magic?

near ipswich

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-medical-equipment-eu-brexit-a9424631.htmlA good job to the eu procurement process is to slow.Spain just like italy do not have enough ppe.1 in 10 of health workers in spain now have the virus.The eu has only procured 10% of what is needed across the eu members.

So slow?

Magic?"

No idea about the US dont live there, can only go by my daughter who is a nurse things are alot better at her hospital since the army have got involved in the supply line.

here

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-medical-equipment-eu-brexit-a9424631.htmlA good job to the eu procurement process is to slow.Spain just like italy do not have enough ppe.1 in 10 of health workers in spain now have the virus.The eu has only procured 10% of what is needed across the eu members.

So slow?

Magic?No idea about the US dont live there, can only go by my daughter who is a nurse things are alot better at her hospital since the army have got involved in the supply line. "

That would be the british army, not the Eu one ?

near ipswich

So slow?

Magic?No idea about the US dont live there, can only go by my daughter who is a nurse things are alot better at her hospital since the army have got involved in the supply line.

That would be the british army, not the Eu one ? "

correct.

"you guys will chat about anything no matter how much nonsense

reminds me of that programme years ago

Jackanory "

Yet here you are, reading and commenting

West London

So slow?

Magic?No idea about the US dont live there, can only go by my daughter who is a nurse things are alot better at her hospital since the army have got involved in the supply line. "

So what is your actual point?

Have we done better, worse or about the same as any other country?

It appears that you don't know yet despite no points of reference the EU weren't good enough according to you

West London

So slow?

Magic?No idea about the US dont live there, can only go by my daughter who is a nurse things are alot better at her hospital since the army have got involved in the supply line.

That would be the british army, not the Eu one ? "

Odd post, as there is no EU army

here

So slow?

Odd post, as there is no EU army "

The recipient seemed to like it . You didn’t - that’s ok

West London

So slow?

The recipient seemed to like it . You didn’t - that’s ok "

"The recipient" on an open thread?

There isn't an EU army though. That is true right?

here

So slow?

There isn't an EU army though. That is true right? "

It was a piss take - you didn’t get it - that’s ok

West London

So slow?

It was a piss take - you didn’t get it - that’s ok "

It was a piss take. It wasn't funny or interesting.

The EU don't have an army, right?

You can answer that can't you, just can't bring yourself to

Just to check is the EU failing because they aren't bossing member countries enough or are you outraged about them trying to take control like the other poster?

Difficult to know why they're at fault for everything today

here

So slow?

Just to check is the EU failing because they aren't bossing member countries enough or are you outraged about them trying to take control like the other poster?

Difficult to know why they're at fault for everything today "

Why so serious all the time ?

You couldn’t just leave it at a piss take that you didn’t find funny or interesting.

near ipswich

So slow?

Difficult to know why they're at fault for everything today "

Think you will find it was directed at me and yes i found it funny but your false outrage at a joke is duly noted if it makes you happy.

West London

So slow?

You couldn’t just leave it at a piss take that you didn’t find funny or interesting.

"

There was no outrage.

I actually repeated a question which you avoided answering previously and have done again.

Always a good dodge though, saying that you're just fooling around whilst anybody who questions you is serious and humourless.

Mwah

West London

So slow?

Difficult to know why they're at fault for everything today Think you will find it was directed at me and yes i found it funny but your false outrage at a joke is duly noted if it makes you happy. "

Ah. Sweet.

The thing about an open thread is anyone can comment. That's true right?

Not outraged. Just asking if there is an EU army.

Is there one?

Good that you've noted is it? Why though? Should I feel threatened?

here

So slow?

There was no outrage.

I actually repeated a question which you avoided answering previously and have done again.

Always a good dodge though, saying that you're just fooling around whilst anybody who questions you is serious and humourless.

Mwah "

The comment was a piss take, with a subtle nod to the comments made earlier in the thread by another member about the Eu army (factual or otherwise, which I didn’t comment on)

You didn’t find it funny

West London

So slow?

There was no outrage.

Mwah

The comment was a piss take, with a subtle nod to the comments made earlier in the thread by another member about the Eu army (factual or otherwise, which I didn’t comment on)

You didn’t find it funny

"

Does an EU army exist though? Do you think that there might be one that nobody knows about?

"Just to check is the EU failing because they aren't bossing member countries enough or are you outraged about them trying to take control like the other poster?"

More interested in that answer than you repeating yourself in a loop

here

So slow?

There was no outrage.

Mwah

You didn’t find it funny

Does an EU army exist though? Do you think that there might be one that nobody knows about?

"Just to check is the EU failing because they aren't bossing member countries enough or are you outraged about them trying to take control like the other poster?"

More interested in that answer than you repeating yourself in a loop "

“Just to check is the EU failing because they aren't bossing member countries enough or are you outraged about them trying to take control like the other poster?"

I think the Eu are neither failing or doing a fantastic job. I am certainly not outraged - I commented in the thread that I had read a news piece about the response by individual Eu countries to the request from Italy for urgent support.

West London

So slow?

There was no outrage.

Mwah

You didn’t find it funny

“Just to check is the EU failing because they aren't bossing member countries enough or are you outraged about them trying to take control like the other poster?"

I think the Eu are neither failing or doing a fantastic job. I am certainly not outraged - I commented in the thread that I had read a news piece about the response by individual Eu countries to the request from Italy for urgent support.

"

Oh. Then I apologise. You were making a completely neutral comment, that was incomplete, as you have no position on the EU?

Got it

here

So slow?

There was no outrage.

Mwah

You didn’t find it funny

Oh. Then I apologise. You were making a completely neutral comment, that was incomplete, as you have no position on the EU?

Got it "

Correct

West London

So slow?

There was no outrage.

Mwah

You didn’t find it funny

Got it

Correct "

Have you ever made a positive comment about the EU?

near ipswich

Hopefully the eu will end the regulations today where its still requires the airlines to fly ghost flights just to keep their routes.A total waste of money and adding to air pollution lets hope they see sense that would be positive.

"Hopefully the eu will end the regulations today where its still requires the airlines to fly ghost flights just to keep their routes.A total waste of money and adding to air pollution lets hope they see sense that would be positive."

Excellent post. Back to the theme of misinformed brexiteers.

If you wish to remain a misinformed brexiteer. Stop reading

The European commission made the decision to suspend this ruling on 10th March.

near ipswich

"Hopefully the eu will end the regulations today where its still requires the airlines to fly ghost flights just to keep their routes.A total waste of money and adding to air pollution lets hope they see sense that would be positive.

"

You better tell the bbc that then because they were on the tv half hour ago saying that was one of the 3 things they are voting on today.

"Hopefully the eu will end the regulations today where its still requires the airlines to fly ghost flights just to keep their routes.A total waste of money and adding to air pollution lets hope they see sense that would be positive.

You better tell the bbc that then because they were on the tv half hour ago saying that was one of the 3 things they are voting on today. "

Interesting. So now suddenly you like the BBC.

near ipswich

I like any media that tells the truth and thanks i have just checked the facts.It was called for on the 10th of march as you rightly said but unfortunately for you it has not been acted on.So i stand by my comment i hope they see sense and act on it.Seems you are the bearer of mis information not me.

"I like any media that tells the truth and thanks i have just checked the facts.It was called for on the 10th of march as you rightly said but unfortunately for you it has not been acted on.So i stand by my comment i hope they see sense and act on it.Seems you are the bearer of mis information not me. "

Good hustle.

Brexit benefit?

near ipswich

"I like any media that tells the truth and thanks i have just checked the facts.It was called for on the 10th of march as you rightly said but unfortunately for you it has not been acted on.So i stand by my comment i hope they see sense and act on it.Seems you are the bearer of mis information not me.

Good hustle.

Brexit benefit?"

Its that a sorry i was wrong and i jumped on your post to quick because you wanted brexit? I was actually saying something good about the eu and you still couldnt see it and we are supposed to be the blinkered ones. But your post has highlighted how slow the eu is to act on something that was called for and i wouldnt have known that if not for you thanks.

"I like any media that tells the truth and thanks i have just checked the facts.It was called for on the 10th of march as you rightly said but unfortunately for you it has not been acted on.So i stand by my comment i hope they see sense and act on it.Seems you are the bearer of mis information not me.

Good hustle.

Brexit benefit?Its that a sorry i was wrong and i jumped on your post to quick because you wanted brexit? I was actually saying something good about the eu and you still couldnt see it and we are supposed to be the blinkered ones. But your post has highlighted how slow the eu is to act on something that was called for and i wouldnt have known that if not for you thanks. "

I assumed you were just doing the usual EU bashing thing for the sake of it when it appears that they're already making this specific change

As I got that wrong. Of course. I apologise.

near ipswich

No problem.

West London

"I like any media that tells the truth and thanks i have just checked the facts.It was called for on the 10th of march as you rightly said but unfortunately for you it has not been acted on.So i stand by my comment i hope they see sense and act on it.Seems you are the bearer of mis information not me. "

What is your expectation at the speed that an organisation should act?

15 days from proposal to legislation that effects multiple companies and jurisdictions outside the EU. Requires some consultation and organisation unlike Trump's announcement.

Also not the single most important piece of legislation as it has no direct health impact.

Other legislation has been passed which does have an impact.

We have been waiting 5 days for a proposal on self-employed pay from the UK which is having a direct impact on health.

I guess you just have to decide on what you think is more important.

near ipswich

come on mate get real the only country in the eu to get a grip with self employed at the moment is Belgium so not a very good example.

West London

"come on mate get real the only country in the eu to get a grip with self employed at the moment is Belgium so not a very good example. "

You've missed the point completely.

You are not impressed by the EU taking 15 days to introduce legislation to end ghost flights when there are more critical matters to deal with.

Again, what is your expectation? How quickly should they have consulted, written the legislation and introduced it? Should it have taken priority over coordinating and funding virus research?

You don't seem to mind the UK (or any other country) taking as long to deal with self-employed pay which does have a direct medical impact.

What takes priority and what should be of more concern?

near ipswich

no im not this is an eu rule for airlines using eu airspace its not applicable to airspace outside the eu for airlines not in the eu.It was the usual eu protectionist policy and so have been halted sooner.

West London

"no im not this is an eu rule for airlines using eu airspace its not applicable to airspace outside the eu for airlines not in the eu.It was the usual eu protectionist policy and so have been halted sooner."

Why do you think that it only effects EU airlines?

Is it protectionist to force airlines to give up unused slots to competitors? Could you explain how it is protectionist?

I'm not sure how that relates to what is a priority and how soon you expect legislation to be written and passed.

No doubt you will avoid answering

West London

"Coronavirus: Boris Johnson blames administrative error for failure to sign up to EU equipment help scheme"

I thought that they aren't actually doing anything though?

Boris Johnson blames administrative error for failure to sign up to EU coronavirus equipment help scheme

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-eu-equipment-nhs-a9429001.html

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"Check the facts before you write something "

When the fuck has he ever done that? LOL

Going into the current crisis, Italy’s debt-to-GDP ratio was 134 percent. Spain’s and France’s were close to 100 percent and their bonds are in very poor standing. Will one of these or more consider going out on its own and create another exit?

The Great Depression showed one clear lesson and that is that when international leadership fails, it is replaced by the destructive, non-cooperative behavior of national governments.

Are we on the verge of watching the EU unravel?

"Going into the current crisis, Italy’s debt-to-GDP ratio was 134 percent. Spain’s and France’s were close to 100 percent and their bonds are in very poor standing. Will one of these or more consider going out on its own and create another exit?

The Great Depression showed one clear lesson and that is that when international leadership fails, it is replaced by the destructive, non-cooperative behavior of national governments.

Are we on the verge of watching the EU unravel?"

No.

Where do you get this rhubarb from?

"Going into the current crisis, Italy’s debt-to-GDP ratio was 134 percent. Spain’s and France’s were close to 100 percent and their bonds are in very poor standing. Will one of these or more consider going out on its own and create another exit?

it already has, we were first to leave

others will shorty follow

many on here will say it will never happen,

the exact same ones that said Trump & Boris would never be president & PM

sit and watch the EU unravel, yes it wont happen over night, but be patient through the years it WILL happen.

it already has, we were first to leave

others will shorty follow

many on here will say it will never happen,

the exact same ones that said Trump & Boris would never be president & PM

sit and watch the EU unravel, yes it wont happen over night, but be patient through the years it WILL happen."

No it won’t, just like we won’t run out of fuel, your predictions are hilarious

Bet you said that with Trump, Boris and Brexit too

how are your predictions, typical of most on here

"Bet you said that with Trump, Boris and Brexit too

how are your predictions, typical of most on here"

I always said Boris and Trump would win, I was wrong about Brexit though. So, lets pretend that the EU will collapse, when do you think it will happen and why will it be beneficial to England ?

I always said Boris and Trump would win, I was wrong about Brexit though. So, lets pretend that the EU will collapse, when do you think it will happen and why will it be beneficial to England ? "

Was right about Trump, Boris and Brexit and that the Sterling wouldn't collapse, that the banks wouldn't all move from London. I've said for quite a few years that the EU was cracking beyond repair. It started when Greece wanted to leave. The money, time and energy that the EU spent to block the UK leaving demonstrates it's fragility.

No.

Where do you get this rhubarb from?"

Please elaborate on your eloquent reply as to why you consider this "rhubarb"?

I always said Boris and Trump would win, I was wrong about Brexit though. So, lets pretend that the EU will collapse, when do you think it will happen and why will it be beneficial to England ?

Was right about Trump, Boris and Brexit and that the Sterling wouldn't collapse, that the banks wouldn't all move from London. I've said for quite a few years that the EU was cracking beyond repair. It started when Greece wanted to leave. The money, time and energy that the EU spent to block the UK leaving demonstrates it's fragility."

You didn’t answer the question, try again

I always said Boris and Trump would win, I was wrong about Brexit though. So, lets pretend that the EU will collapse, when do you think it will happen and why will it be beneficial to England ? "

I dont really give 2 fucks about England, same as they dont give 2 fucks about Scotland

as for EU collapse, it has already started soon as UK withdrew.

I dont really give 2 fucks about England, same as they dont give 2 fucks about Scotland

as for EU collapse, it has already started soon as UK withdrew."

Lol.

Some people eh!

as for EU collapse, it has already started soon as UK withdrew."

So, you couldn’t answer either question? No surprise there then

West London

So is your logic that a high debt to GDP ratio means that a country will want to leave the Euro and the institutions of the EU so that it can increase it's borrowing further at higher rates and pay to replicate a wide range of regulatory agencies?

I agree with your second point. Economic hardship leads to selfishness and hostility. This generally exacerbates problems.

It ended with a world war which dealt with unemployment between manufacturing equipment and sending people to fight. Perhaps China is being set up as the next enemy? I can see it happening already.

Breaking up the EU will not fix this. Of course, Brexit will not solve any of the problems that it has been claimed that it will either.

It's really just a matter of waiting to see if people can be persuaded to vote against their own interests.

They often are. Democracy is given away as often as it is stolen.

So far watching the UK has had the opposite effect to encouraging the breakup of the EU.

» Add a new message to this topic