FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Nc500

Nc500

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Now lockdown is easing I’m looking at doing the 500 I love the west highlands and know them very well but not so sure about the north east .. any tips on places worth seeing .. going in 2 weeks time .. thanks folks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *DW1983Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen, Leeds, Sheffield

There are plenty of places to stop off, such as Smoo Caves which is definitely worth a stop. A trip up to Dunnett Head (the most northerly point on the mainland) is worth the short detour too. There are lots of brown signs for things like standing stones that break up the drive and give a chance to stretch your legs.

Make sure you have accommodation booked in advance as it can be hard to find somewhere, and mobile reception is very limited for much of it so you can't just search online as you go. Likewise make a note of bookings so you're not relying on being avle to access emails to find the name and address of the hotel or B&B.

Plenty of little cafés and eateries to stop off at for coffee and a cake. Beware that there aren't that many choices if you're wanting a sit down evening meal, and don't leave it too late and assume everywhere will be open and doing food at 9pm, but there are some good restaurants to be found.

Even in bad weather it's pretty spectacular, but some of the main roads are single track and get quite busy, so need care and patience at times. Beware of the local wildlife too.

By *ugehandsMan  over a year ago

Fife/ Newcastle

The East Side of the country is rather dull in comparison to the west coast. I tend to hang a right at Betty's hill and head down the Lairg road, a very scenic route that will take you down to Inverness.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It’s very busy.

I know the one you mean I’ve thought about that one as an option thanks

Watch out for local drivers especially on the west side where it’s a lot of single track roads!! They’re local so think they take priority over any other traffic and generally won’t pull in to passing places for anything they consider tourist traffic (campers, caravans, motorbikes etc.). Almost had a few head ons on the motorbike with locals when I did it.

"The East Side of the country is rather dull in comparison to the west coast. I tend to hang a right at Betty's hill and head down the Lairg road, a very scenic route that will take you down to Inverness. "

Went down that once & honestly thought it wasn't going to end! Beautiful scenery but nothing & no one for miles & miles. The kinda road you don't want to break down on

Dunrobin castle is worth a stop at to stretch the legs with a walk around the gardens or castle itself. Then dornoch is a beautiful wee town, the pub called the eagle does bloody good pub food at good prices or if you want something a bit more up market theres dornoch castle hotel. The beach there is absolutely stunning too.

The stacks of duncansby are worth a walk to too, it's not far from john o groats. Love it up that neck of the woods & can't wait to get back up on holiday

By *ossieladMan  over a year ago

Lossiemouth

Channory point, Fyrish monument, Dunbeath harbour and Badbea clearance village are all pretty interesting on the NE coast.

Aww I was at dunrobin castle when I was a wean ( back in the Jurassic era lol) and it was lovely thanks I’ll have a look at those

Will definitely try that road thanks

By *heSofaDestroyersCouple  over a year ago

HereAndThere

Lots of cafes and restaurants still closed and campsite not letting you in with out your own toilets

Strathy point is amazing

By *ikerbob1957Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I started planning a route and got prices for hotels and was astounded by the costs. £130 a night was not seemed excessive.

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

"Watch out for local drivers especially on the west side where it’s a lot of single track roads!! They’re local so think they take priority over any other traffic and generally won’t pull in to passing places for anything they consider tourist traffic (campers, caravans, motorbikes etc.). Almost had a few head ons on the motorbike with locals when I did it. "

So did you stop to ask if they were local or just assume? In my experience it was often the tourists that clearly didn't know how single track roads work, or how to reverse when needed, were the problem

By *aggismuncher69Man  over a year ago

Johnstone

Was up in Applecross yesterday. The roads were amazing and had such a good run apart from a twat in a wee car doing 25max down the pass and would not pull over to let bikes pass. Ignorant twat. You do need to book a table at the Applecross Inn and the food was adequate at best - nothing like the amazing seafood I’ve had there before - still happy to be there though of course!

A few of us planning on heading out soon just all weather dependent

HereAndThere

"A few of us planning on heading out soon just all weather dependent "

Keep us in mind too

"I started planning a route and got prices for hotels and was astounded by the costs. £130 a night was not seemed excessive."

Standard supply and demand. Unless you stay in Inverness there aren’t the budget brands.

By *bostCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

When we did it last year for the 3rd time we detoured after Bettyhill. Had a great time at the Crask Inn. Well worth a visit. Food was great , the hosts were lovely and they have a great selection in the bar.

Any females travelling to Caithness soon?

[Removed by poster at 02/08/20 16:46:57]

By *ossieladMan  over a year ago

Lossiemouth

"So did you stop to ask if they were local or just assume? In my experience it was often the tourists that clearly didn't know how single track roads work, or how to reverse when needed, were the problem"

Being a delivery driver, I drive these roads a lot, and can confirm tourists are more a problem than locals.

Whatever you do do not wild camp they are truly peeved off with the mess people are leaving behind very few b and b open and they are not many up there so make sure you book in advance worth it the _iews are outstanding great roads for motorbikes

"Was up in Applecross yesterday. The roads were amazing and had such a good run apart from a twat in a wee car doing 25max down the pass and would not pull over to let bikes pass. Ignorant twat. You do need to book a table at the Applecross Inn and the food was adequate at best - nothing like the amazing seafood I’ve had there before - still happy to be there though of course!"

I dont buy any food, always supply my own, refuse to give locals my business when they grudge visitors and act as if they own the place, same with Glen Coe, Isle of Skye, I visit but will not pay into economies where you are not welcome.

"Whatever you do do not wild camp they are truly peeved off with the mess people are leaving behind very few b and b open and they are not many up there so make sure you book in advance worth it the _iews are outstanding great roads for motorbikes "

YOU are in Scotland, you can Wild Camp where ever you choose

people should know their rights

down load "the Scottish Outdoor Access Code" and know your rights, you can simply ignore "Private road" signs, No Access signs that have been put up by people who do not know the Law of Scotland

just make sure you know your rights and bin or take home all litter.

The people who are ‘wild camping’ could do with familiarising themselves with the etiquette. They give those who have camped for many years without issue a bad name.

These are small communities who have remained Covid free and in areas where health services aren’t on their doorstep.

I’m interested to know how someone can tell it’s a local not a visitor refusing to reverse without interaction. A lot of people have never driven single track roads before doing the NC500.

I think communities are asking folk to respect what is their home.

I’m not into wild camping as I prefer the comfort of a hotel or bandb .. I am well aware if the laws in Scotland around wild camping .. yeah it is stunning up there I have driven and ridden the roads on the west for over 30 years but it’s been over 30 years since I did the north east all I was asking for was some suggestions for that area .. not a lecture on the does and fonts of travelling in Scotland

Thanks I’ll give that a look

By *eaf44Man  over a year ago

near Inverness, and wick sometimes

"Whatever you do do not wild camp they are truly peeved off with the mess people are leaving behind very few b and b open and they are not many up there so make sure you book in advance worth it the _iews are outstanding great roads for motorbikes

down load "the Scottish Outdoor Access Code" and know your rights, you can simply ignore "Private road" signs, No Access signs that have been put up by people who do not know the Law of Scotland

just make sure you know your rights and bin or take home all litter."

you cannot wild camp wherever you choose, only where the code says you can!

By *imbob85Man  over a year ago

inverness

"Whatever you do do not wild camp they are truly peeved off with the mess people are leaving behind very few b and b open and they are not many up there so make sure you book in advance worth it the _iews are outstanding great roads for motorbikes

just make sure you know your rights and bin or take home all litter."

you can’t go where ever you like there are rules and bit off common senses is need, and make sure you clean up after your self

just home from 400mile plus bike ride, roads are nose to tail with traffic all round Glen Coe, fort william, Oban etc

good on the bike, but I think I would be bored shitless on 4 wheels.

HereAndThere

[Removed by poster at 03/08/20 19:05:03]

HereAndThere

"just home from 400mile plus bike ride, roads are nose to tail with traffic all round Glen Coe, fort william, Oban etc

"

That’s not the NC500 route

By *rivextrMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Did it a few years ago, it was amazing a mUst see

"just home from 400mile plus bike ride, roads are nose to tail with traffic all round Glen Coe, fort william, Oban etc

That’s not the NC500 route"

I think I know that lol as I am local

you really think the NC500 route is any better, trust me it is much worse, fool on you if you think its going to be quiet.

HereAndThere

That’s not the NC500 route

I think I know that lol as I am local

you really think the NC500 route is any better, trust me it is much worse, fool on you if you think its going to be quiet. "

Did it last week and the road was fairly quiet much less that we expect!

"Watch out for local drivers especially on the west side where it’s a lot of single track roads!! They’re local so think they take priority over any other traffic and generally won’t pull in to passing places for anything they consider tourist traffic (campers, caravans, motorbikes etc.). Almost had a few head ons on the motorbike with locals when I did it.

So did you stop to ask if they were local or just assume? In my experience it was often the tourists that clearly didn't know how single track roads work, or how to reverse when needed, were the problem"

Good point and apologies for the generalisation however having grown up in Inverness and north I’m quite familiar with the roads on the NC500 and how some drivers behave. You are quite right though, tourists can be worse but on my last trip it was the locals. Even had a few pull up alongside and tell me to get out the way even though they were the ones that had driven past the passing place and should have stopped in or opposite. Thankfully I was on a motorbike so didn’t need to reverse ha ha

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

"Watch out for local drivers especially on the west side where it’s a lot of single track roads!! They’re local so think they take priority over any other traffic and generally won’t pull in to passing places for anything they consider tourist traffic (campers, caravans, motorbikes etc.). Almost had a few head ons on the motorbike with locals when I did it.

So did you stop to ask if they were local or just assume? In my experience it was often the tourists that clearly didn't know how single track roads work, or how to reverse when needed, were the problem

Good point and apologies for the generalisation however having grown up in Inverness and north I’m quite familiar with the roads on the NC500 and how some drivers behave. You are quite right though, tourists can be worse but on my last trip it was the locals. Even had a few pull up alongside and tell me to get out the way even though they were the ones that had driven past the passing place and should have stopped in or opposite. Thankfully I was on a motorbike so didn’t need to reverse ha ha "

To be fair summer is a recipe for disaster on single track - you have tourists that don't know how to use them and locals that barely look at the road and then the few of us in between that are trying to be conscientious getting from A to B!

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Please keep it civil. Posts removed.

By *outhessex14Man  over a year ago

basildon

Going in a couple of weeks on my motorbike, looking forward to the NC500, just a long ride up haha

A NEW overnight caravan/campervan site has been established in Golspie, it has emerged.

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/site-provided-at-golspie-for-motorhomes-to-park-up-overnight-208869/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

"A NEW overnight caravan/campervan site has been established in Golspie, it has emerged.

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/site-provided-at-golspie-for-motorhomes-to-park-up-overnight-208869/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook"

Article some what over reaches.

What has been provided is two portaloos at the bottom of Ben Bhraggie.

» Add a new message to this topic