FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Business and friendship

Business and friendship

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anyone any experience. Helped a mate giving him a good stable job and he’s well looked after but just takes the absolute pish now tbh can see it ending badly. Anyone else had this dilemma

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Anyone any experience. Helped a mate giving him a good stable job and he’s well looked after but just takes the absolute pish now tbh can see it ending badly. Anyone else had this dilemma "

Ohh dear, it's like lending money to family, very often ends in tears. Don't do it

You have to be pragmatic about the situation, tell him what you need to say, if it ends badly at least you can keep your head held high, you helped out he took the piss and you had to say something . If he doesn't like it then it's pretty much tough titty.

Never give a job to a friend. Always ends badly, they think they can get away with loads more but you end up looking the idiot because you’ve introduced them to the position so it falls on you when they don’t pull their weight. Makes it harder to give them the old P45 too because they dig their heals in, best thing to do is sit them down and treat them like any other employee not pulling their weight, be honest with them. You don’t owe them any favours, sack them if necessary, you’ve a business to run.

"Anyone any experience. Helped a mate giving him a good stable job and he’s well looked after but just takes the absolute pish now tbh can see it ending badly. Anyone else had this dilemma "

Not going to write a big huge rant cause it’s still going on

I sold a business to my best pal last September and that shit is still going on !!!! It can work but you gotta be smart about it !!! I made a big mistake but one way it will be resolved but that’s the friendship over !

It’s like business and pleasure.....

They should never mix

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Your kidding yourself pal. The bottom line is the guy is not your mate. Bin him from your work and your life, he is a hanger on.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Your kidding yourself pal. The bottom line is the guy is not your mate. Bin him from your work and your life, he is a hanger on."

It’s funny though we treat our guys well won’t go into it and get nothing back won’t make the same mistake again

He's a shite pal, get him sacked.

You've done what you thought was right and helped him out, he should be grateful and should be trying to prove himself.

Instead he's just being an ungrateful arsehole and ripping the piss.

You wouldn't let anyone else away with it, so don't let him x

By *ikerbob1957Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I thought I had a friend who helped me buy a business a few years ago. Turned out he was best mates with the seller so I got properly stitched up.

i found out what was going on after I bought the business and read the email exchange between the two of them on one of the shop's computer detailing how to get me to buy the business at an inflated price by falsifying figures.

Friends are for drinking with and having a laugh. Friendship and business should be kept well apart.

First lesson in business

Never mix the two.

Same goes with business partnerships,

Know a friend went into partnership with a college friend who then pissed off to Japan with over £100 grand of company monies leaving him in debt

By *exylicksMan  over a year ago

airdrie

Treat them like everyone else. I sacked my son as he was pissed and started shouting bigotry, he ended up getting arrested for the incident and disrespectful to staff to boot and he has been brought up better than that. Give him a warning explain what you need him to stop doing or actually do and explain that next time its on his head so if he does step out of line it is his fault not yours. I still have friends I've worked with and had to lay off for different reasons, they still respect me as I have them realise they took decision out of my hands.

I had a business with my best friend of 25 years things started off great but after 3 years of business I found out he was taking money and lying about things! Obviously not all “friends” will be like that but he was and it took me 25 years to notice!

By *hav02Man  over a year ago

Glasgow/London

Business is business, if he's taking the pish, he needs a warning, regardless of who he is to you. If the friendship falls apart, then remember that the problem was with your friend, not you. Good luck

Never go into business with family or friends from my experiences

My opinion is different from the rest on here

I employ friends and family. They are well warned before they start that the business comes first because it’s what feeds and clothes my family. If I need to make decisions that’s correct for the business that they don’t like then that’s their problem not mine.

It works for me. Having friends or family around the business helps in the hard times. They put in more effort when you need it. I’ve had fall outs but I don’t hold grudges. I’ve always been a someone that says what I think anyway so people have always known where they stand.

I’m also involved in a couple of other businesses with my friend of 30 years and they also run smoothly.

Don’t treat friends or family any different from other employees. Don’t see them as different and there won’t be an issue.

» Add a new message to this topic