FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Tits

Tits

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orders Couple OP   Couple  over a year ago

Kelso

We moved house over two years ago from the countryside to the edge of town.

Since then we've noticed a serious lack of birds in the garden. The garden is a fair size and backs on to a small wooded area with pastureland and more trees behind. It has therefore surprised us how few birds there have been.

However, this week there have been quite a few: tits, spuggies, starlings, blackbirds and pigeons. Has anyone else noticed a change in the pattern?

ps apologies to those expecting a post about different tits. Couldn't resist

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mithy4uMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

"We moved house over two years ago from the countryside to the edge of town.

Since then we've noticed a serious lack of birds in the garden. The garden is a fair size and backs on to a small wooded area with pastureland and more trees behind. It has therefore surprised us how few birds there have been.

However, this week there have been quite a few: tits, spuggies, starlings, blackbirds and pigeons. Has anyone else noticed a change in the pattern?

ps apologies to those expecting a post about different tits. Couldn't resist "

put some raisins out the blackbirds love them!! Cant what listening to them singing away! I’ve not hit any tips to entice tits however! Covid seen to that haha

By *andragTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

Cats

Kelso

ps apologies to those expecting a post about different tits. Couldn't resist put some raisins out the blackbirds love them!! Cant what listening to them singing away! I’ve not hit any tips to entice tits however! Covid seen to that haha "

We've had the bird feeder out for ages. It's only started being used recently. Weird eh?

Kelso

"Cats"

It's a possibility but cats are still about yet the birds are visiting now!

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

[Removed by poster at 13/04/21 20:38:54]

Central Borders

Stop scaring the tits away

Hope you're both keeping well x

By *uiceTerryMan  over a year ago

Perth

Only here for the comments.

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Excuse my ignorance but, what are spuggies?

Kelso

"Stop scaring the tits away

Hope you're both keeping well x"

They must have got used to me at last. We are both very well, thanks, and hope you are doing really well too xx

Central Borders

"Excuse my ignorance but, what are spuggies?"

House sparrow i believe. I know my birds

Kelso

"Excuse my ignorance but, what are spuggies?"

More commonly known as sparrows

Kelso

"Only here for the comments. "

And you're very welcome especially when you comment about that lol

Kelso

"Excuse my ignorance but, what are spuggies?

House sparrow i believe. I know my birds "

Not seen any laverocks or pianots though. The local names are dying out which is a shame.

By *ering SeaMan  over a year ago

Penicuik

Finches, tits, wood pigeons, magpies, sparrows, thrushes, blackbirds, seagulls.

Feeders are busy in morning and evening.

The only pattern I’ve noticed is the frenzy starts around March and carries on through till July before tailoring off again.

Kelso

"Finches, tits, wood pigeons, magpies, sparrows, thrushes, blackbirds, seagulls.

The only pattern I’ve noticed is the frenzy starts around March and carries on through till July before tailoring off again. "

Maybe we'll start seeing something similar from now. It's just been so nice to actually see them in the garden at last.

By *ering SeaMan  over a year ago

Penicuik

"Finches, tits, wood pigeons, magpies, sparrows, thrushes, blackbirds, seagulls.

The only pattern I’ve noticed is the frenzy starts around March and carries on through till July before tailoring off again.

Maybe we'll start seeing something similar from now. It's just been so nice to actually see them in the garden at last. "

I’ve noticed it’s about team work. The smaller birds dismantle the suet balls and nuts then the larger ones hoover up

Kelso

Maybe we'll start seeing something similar from now. It's just been so nice to actually see them in the garden at last.

I’ve noticed it’s about team work. The smaller birds dismantle the suet balls and nuts then the larger ones hoover up "

I've had fab meets like that!!!

Central Borders

I’ve noticed it’s about team work. The smaller birds dismantle the suet balls and nuts then the larger ones hoover up

I've had fab meets like that!!! "

Would you not prefer bird watching?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I see plenty of wildlife outside my kitchen window, squirrels, swifts and blue tits. It's nesting season now for the blue tits and they are at my window every day for food. Cheeky wee things tap on the window with their beaks and claws chirruping away lol x

By *wiftieeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

I put bird feeders out between the clocks changing, the place is full of tits, chaffinches, sparrows, a lone woodpecker, a robin, blackbirds, and flamin jackdaws.

The feeders go away from April, where have all the tits, chaffinches and sparrows gone?

By *imbobaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Loads of bird activity around here. But the geese have all migrated.

By *reen31Man  over a year ago

Hawick

Loads of deer, pheasants about the now to.

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

ps apologies to those expecting a post about different tits. Couldn't resist "

I believe I watched a TV show on this subject a few yrs ago.

The conclusion was built up areas cause food gluts and larger more aggressive birds drive off birds that are seen in a more natural setting (seagulls are seen as more of a nuisance than pigeons)

Kelso

I've had fab meets like that!!!

Would you not prefer bird watching? "

That would make me an ornilogithist. No, an orthinologist. No, a word bother lol

Kelso

"Loads of deer, pheasants about the now to. "

Our garden really is a wildlife desert then!

Kelso

ps apologies to those expecting a post about different tits. Couldn't resist I believe I watched a TV show on this subject a few yrs ago.

The conclusion was built up areas cause food gluts and larger more aggressive birds drive off birds that are seen in a more natural setting (seagulls are seen as more of a nuisance than pigeons) "

That was my conclusion too as there are loads of crows about from the wood. That's why I'm surprised that we're now seeing more other birds.

Kelso

"Loads of bird activity around here. But the geese have all migrated. "

Bloody Geese. It's probably Brexit that caused that!!!

Kelso

"I put bird feeders out between the clocks changing, the place is full of tits, chaffinches, sparrows, a lone woodpecker, a robin, blackbirds, and flamin jackdaws.

The feeders go away from April, where have all the tits, chaffinches and sparrows gone?

"

They've migrated from your garden to ours lol

By *ero666Man  over a year ago

fife

When tits and finches are in nesting season,they will feed mostly caterpillars and insects to there young,they will mostly feed on what is local to the nest,if no young,they will travel to wherever there is a food source

Kelso

"When tits and finches are in nesting season,they will feed mostly caterpillars and insects to there young,they will mostly feed on what is local to the nest,if no young,they will travel to wherever there is a food source "

That must be it. More caterpillars and/or insects around now.

By *jezee1000Man  over a year ago

perth

Wife started putting fed out weeks ago and not a bird came. 2 weeks later it’s only crowsand pigeons . Not a single small bird Puzzled

Kelso

"Wife started putting fed out weeks ago and not a bird came. 2 weeks later it’s only crowsand pigeons . Not a single small bird Puzzled"

Hopefully you'll start to get some appearing too. We're still not getting lots but at least we're getting some.

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

A lot of the smaller birds reliant on insects have been badly in decline. So the corvids are increasingly their numbers by adapting their diet well.

Unless insects start increasing I doubt feeders are going to help numbers greatly.

Kelso

"A lot of the smaller birds reliant on insects have been badly in decline. So the corvids are increasingly their numbers by adapting their diet well.

Unless insects start increasing I doubt feeders are going to help numbers greatly."

That would make sense although you'd maybe expect the birdfeeder to be an oasis for them in that case.

By *uffinMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

There are a number of buzzards this year so far..

We have also had a bird flu epidemic

Kelso

"There are a number of buzzards this year so far..

We have also had a bird flu epidemic"

Seems like there should have been an avian vaccination programme too. I reckon there's a joke about corvid there somewhere.

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

"A lot of the smaller birds reliant on insects have been badly in decline. So the corvids are increasingly their numbers by adapting their diet well.

Unless insects start increasing I doubt feeders are going to help numbers greatly.

That would make sense although you'd maybe expect the birdfeeder to be an oasis for them in that case. "

They are kinda, most people are quite hap hazard with them though so birds that become reliant starve and diseases can spread through them easily. They aren’t totally bad though. Just not a solution for the birds I think.

Kelso

That would make sense although you'd maybe expect the birdfeeder to be an oasis for them in that case.

They are kinda, most people are quite hap hazard with them though so birds that become reliant starve and diseases can spread through them easily. They aren’t totally bad though. Just not a solution for the birds I think."

Yep, have heard about that before. Really now is the time that feeders shouldn't be the main source.

» Add a new message to this topic