FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > NC 500

NC 500

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iimon OP   Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Has anyone done the NC 500?

• Wondering how long is a good time to spread it over?

• Rough idea of what you spent?

• Must do places and attractions?

Thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have dine so many times before it became a recognised route, personally 2 wks, to fully appreciate the area and what is there. Book your sites or bb or hotels as everywhere is busy.

Cost depends how your doing it but min few hundred to a thousand pounds.

Get the guide online lists all the places

Lots of FABulous thread on this if you search the forum. Great hints and tips which I’m noting so following with interest

glasgow

"I have dine so many times before it became a recognised route, personally 2 wks, to fully appreciate the area and what is there. Book your sites or bb or hotels as everywhere is busy. "

That’s great, thanks

glasgow

"Lots of FABulous thread on this if you search the forum. Great hints and tips which I’m noting so following with interest "

I’ll have a look for them. Thank you

Great trip I done it a month ago with some fab friends on the motorbikes

By *bostCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

We did it over 5/6 days for our honeymoon. To be fair we could have taken a fortnight at least. It’s God’s country and you’ll want to stay there forever. So beautiful.

I’d head up via fort william. Longer drive but nicer scenery than the A9

"I’d head up via fort william. Longer drive but nicer scenery than the A9"

Having just come down the A82 it was beautiful but a nightmare for driving takes much longer than you realise and I have done this many times the amount of traffic this year is insane with English hols starting its going to get a whole lot worse. Just as a caution

By *bcums3Couple  over a year ago

lanarkshire

Doing this in a week

How long does it take?

7 days is not long enough to appreciate all that this fantastic part of Scotland has to offer. To be honest 1 month would not be long enough either. However, 7days is enough to cut your teeth, experience it for yourself, get hooked and then begin to plan your return trip. My first time I done it solo in 3 days, starting on 26th December, to experience it as a driving route only. I have since returned many times either on the fully route or part of it.

Some must do’s include - Durness in the north west for smoo caves and the zip line. Would recommend sango sands camp site as a base as it has fantastic on site facilities including bar and restaurant. For lunch we stopped and ‘Cheese and toasted’ road side van for the best toastie in Scotland. One day here should be enough.

Ullapool provides a great base for the west side. Large town with great amenities although just a few miles out Ardmair campsite offers stunning views of the idealistic surroundings. If walking is your thing then a few days here could be easily filled exploring the rugged coastline. Including what I believe to be the best beach in Scotland, rivalling any in a Thomas Cook brochure.

Also worthy of a mention is the road to applecross for the rest of nerve, John O’groats, and (although strictly not on the NC500) Skye for breath taking scenery and amazing restaurants.

Costs

I could not recommend camping enough. If you have all the gear, 1 night will cost you £20 for a small tent in the most northerly parts. Take a car and budget for at least 1000 miles if driving from the central belt. Ofcourse you could make it as cheap or expensive as you want - camp van hire is very dear and pitching up is increased. Hotel stays and evening meals not around a camp fire will add additional costs.

Try it. You can’t go wrong, but do not expect to visit once and experience everything. You will however love it and with the knowledge you gain, you will be able to refine your second trip.

Depends on what you want to do & how long you want to spend in your chosen places. Last August & this May/June myself & a couple friends went to Poolewe. The first time we did a few day trips including driving the Bealach na ba to Applecross. The second time we had two day trips & did a lot of local stuff.

Do your research & you’ll get the best experience

"I’d head up via fort william. Longer drive but nicer scenery than the A9

Having just come down the A82 it was beautiful but a nightmare for driving takes much longer than you realise and I have done this many times the amount of traffic this year is insane with English hols starting its going to get a whole lot worse. Just as a caution "

If you do it up the way on the right days you miss most of the traffic it’s always more of a bottle neck coming down

lanarkshire

"How long does it take?

7 days is not long enough to appreciate all that this fantastic part of Scotland has to offer. To be honest 1 month would not be long enough either. However, 7days is enough to cut your teeth, experience it for yourself, get hooked and then begin to plan your return trip. My first time I done it solo in 3 days, starting on 26th December, to experience it as a driving route only. I have since returned many times either on the fully route or part of it.

Some must do’s include - Durness in the north west for smoo caves and the zip line. Would recommend sango sands camp site as a base as it has fantastic on site facilities including bar and restaurant. For lunch we stopped and ‘Cheese and toasted’ road side van for the best toastie in Scotland. One day here should be enough.

Ullapool provides a great base for the west side. Large town with great amenities although just a few miles out Ardmair campsite offers stunning views of the idealistic surroundings. If walking is your thing then a few days here could be easily filled exploring the rugged coastline. Including what I believe to be the best beach in Scotland, rivalling any in a Thomas Cook brochure.

Also worthy of a mention is the road to applecross for the rest of nerve, John O’groats, and (although strictly not on the NC500) Skye for breath taking scenery and amazing restaurants.

Costs

I could not recommend camping enough. If you have all the gear, 1 night will cost you £20 for a small tent in the most northerly parts. Take a car and budget for at least 1000 miles if driving from the central belt. Ofcourse you could make it as cheap or expensive as you want - camp van hire is very dear and pitching up is increased. Hotel stays and evening meals not around a camp fire will add additional costs.

Try it. You can’t go wrong, but do not expect to visit once and experience everything. You will however love it and with the knowledge you gain, you will be able to refine your second trip. "

This trips a family one so planning to fit in what we can!..hoping the next trips without the kids..loads of advice thank you xx

Did last week in a MH, 4 folk Took our time over 11 days. Spent £1000 with petrol, campsites, attractions and food etc

Get the little pocket nc500 map of Amazon. It's great and has campsites and attractions listed.

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

It's busy.

For instance Sango Sands has stated on face book that booked until September except for a few turn up on day pitches that don't have electricity.

It can be difficult finding places to sit in to eat as a lot are booked a week in advance.

The shops are suffering the same resupply issues as elsewhere so a lot of bare shelves.

It is better than last year as more places are open and more facilities in place to deal with the increased numbers but it's still the same road with difficult sections in places.

lanarkshire

Booked in for camping at Dornoch, using this as a base to explore from there can’t wait!!…

"Booked in for camping at Dornoch, using this as a base to explore from there can’t wait!!… "

Lovely place my pal is in embo

Tain

"Booked in for camping at Dornoch, using this as a base to explore from there can’t wait!!… "

Lots to do in the area.

By *ighland fling69Man  over a year ago

Inverness ish

I see you like dolphins, come to Ullapool and there is a good chance to see them just now if you go on a boat tour. Can come visit me too xx

lanarkshire

"Booked in for camping at Dornoch, using this as a base to explore from there can’t wait!!…

Lovely place my pal is in embo "

Camping close to the beach apparently embo beach is stunning

"Booked in for camping at Dornoch, using this as a base to explore from there can’t wait!!…

Lots to do in the area.

"

Id give Dunrobin a miss, overrated, expensive and the steps down to the garden are a bloody killer if you have dodgy knees

lanarkshire

Lots to do in the area.

Id give Dunrobin a miss, overrated, expensive and the steps down to the garden are a bloody killer if you have dodgy knees "

Tain

Camping close to the beach apparently embo beach is stunning "

There are 3 beaches.

North of Embo

Between Embo and Dornoch

South of Dornoch

The Highland Larder has recently opened at Dornoch beach but other than that the 3 beaches have no facilities.

No toilets, cafes or shops.

lanarkshire

There are 3 beaches.

North of Embo

Between Embo and Dornoch

South of Dornoch

The Highland Larder has recently opened at Dornoch beach but other than that the 3 beaches have no facilities.

No toilets, cafes or shops."

Thankfully this time we are taking the posh camping option and booked on a site plenty of facilities , amusements & bar lol good base to start

Tain

There are 3 beaches.

North of Embo

Between Embo and Dornoch

South of Dornoch

Thankfully this time we are taking the posh camping option and booked on a site plenty of facilities , amusements & bar lol good base to start "

Grannies?

Are the facilities open? They've had to shut a few times due to positive covid in staff.

lanarkshire

There are 3 beaches.

North of Embo

Between Embo and Dornoch

South of Dornoch

Thankfully this time we are taking the posh camping option and booked on a site plenty of facilities , amusements & bar lol good base to start

Grannies?

Are the facilities open? They've had to shut a few times due to positive covid in staff."

Seems to be so far

Minimum a week, but realistically 2 weeks, so much to see and do It would take too long to list it all.

There are 3 beaches.

North of Embo

Between Embo and Dornoch

South of Dornoch

Grannies?

Are the facilities open? They've had to shut a few times due to positive covid in staff."

Grannies is actually in embo my pals house is right next door to it gorgeous beaches there and the water is awesome there’s a wee wumin goes out wild swimming for hours every day

By *othighlander2Man  over a year ago

North Inverness

And in embo they have opened the cafe that sells ace cakes!!

lanarkshire

"And in embo they have opened the cafe that sells ace cakes!!"

» Add a new message to this topic