FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > X Smokers

X Smokers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Looking for an advice from x-smokers and non-smoker no best way to quit.

Stopped before but struggling to do it again,do really wanna quit.

Any advice would be helpful.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've just recently stopped....cold turkey basically but so far so good

Tried cold turkey but just didn't work

friend of mine stopped with pills he got from doc...apparantly blocks receptors in the brain or something so nicotine has no effect making smoking completely pointless

By *he Original TTMan  over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"Looking for an advice from x-smokers and non-smoker no best way to quit.

Any advice would be helpful."

Try electronic cigarettes - I found the hardest thi.g was knowing what to do with my hands. I have been a non-smoker now for 4 weeks using them.

This way has no real downside - you get the nicotine and the taste, but with no smells or icky gum to get rid of. Also a lot cheaper long term than smoking or gum/patches etc.

Good luck and keep at it. Will power is the most important thing though. You have to WANT to give up!

"friend of mine stopped with pills he got from doc...apparantly blocks receptors in the brain or something so nicotine has no effect making smoking completely pointless"

Do you know what they are called and if there is any side effects?

"Looking for an advice from x-smokers and non-smoker no best way to quit.

Any advice would be helpful.

Try electronic cigarettes - I found the hardest thi.g was knowing what to do with my hands. I have been a non-smoker now for 4 weeks using them.

This way has no real downside - you get the nicotine and the taste, but with no smells or icky gum to get rid of. Also a lot cheaper long term than smoking or gum/patches etc.

Good luck and keep at it. Will power is the most important thing though. You have to WANT to give up!"

Cheers Teletubbie

"friend of mine stopped with pills he got from doc...apparantly blocks receptors in the brain or something so nicotine has no effect making smoking completely pointless

Do you know what they are called and if there is any side effects?"

not offhand but can find out and post

We both. Stopped with patches for about a week then they iratated me so ditched them tbh I think u need to be in the right frame of mind to do it we gave been off them 5 and a half years good luck x

"friend of mine stopped with pills he got from doc...apparantly blocks receptors in the brain or something so nicotine has no effect making smoking completely pointless

Do you know what they are called and if there is any side effects?"

Ther are called Champix, you have to get them on prescription from your doctor

i stopped 6 yrs ago with champix, they worked really well for me but you really need to want to stop as well.good luck xxx

By *tu231Man  over a year ago

lenzie

i also quit 6 years ago on them

Like most things they can effect people differently..my bro in law was almost suicidal on them..couldnt go out the house. But obviously they do work for most. I went for hypnotherapy and stopped for over a year but like others say its all will power and you must want to stop. Good luck

"i stopped 6 yrs ago with champix, they worked really well for me but you really need to want to stop as well.good luck xxx"

I quit using champix too stop date was dec 16th 07 and i managed to get through xmas n new yr with out a fag and I was a heave smoker but as Taz says you got to want to stop 1st

Good luck

I beleive doctors cant prescribe champix anymore due to the adverse side affects lol.

When i stopped i just went cold turkey and found it really easy. Managed to convince myself if i smoked a cigarette i would be sick lol. Good luck

By *cotsmacCouple  over a year ago

glasgow

if you register at a chemist they give you the patches every week, they also give you other methods to quit, all on prescription, no need to go to the docs just drop in to them plus they also give you good advise on the best way to stop...

By *ethany10Couple  over a year ago

falkirk

I stopped for 18 years by cold turkey, stupidly I started again three years ago. Seemed like a good idea at the time

Get the book The easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr (no not the speccy comedian lol)

Thanks to all for your advice and the good luck wishes

Think my main problem is the lack of will power to beat it but i'm going to my best.

Cheers all

By *bzguyMan  over a year ago

Aberdeen and shire

without a doubt Champix from your doctor , i have been stopped for 6 months now and beleive me i had the breaking strain of a kitkat i have tried everything to no avail Champix all the way mate , its a magic bean

By *anictechCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow - ish ;-)

Don't put the pressure on yourself to become a non smoker, one day at a time.

Your simply a smoker who isn't smoking today, if you have a smoke tomorrow? cool, simply start stopping again the next day.

You didn't need any help learning to starting to smoke, so you shouldn't need any lessons in how to stop? It's in you, just make the decision!

Read up on understanding the cravings and how they manipulate you.

Good luck XxX MT

I tried all things that help, but kept going back to smoking, then dug my heels in and tried cold turkey with a very simple goal/aim. Was told that if you can get to 2weeks without smoking, it then felt and became easier.

Managed it,,,just, and the 2 week thing certainly felt right, cravings were less, energy up etc.

» Add a new message to this topic