FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Computer Nerds - Help sought

Computer Nerds - Help sought

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When I use my laptop at work, I have to use my mobile as a hotspot. For whatever reason, this changes my location (only on this site) from where I am in the central belt to Birmingham... Done all the obvious stuff like clear history/cache/cookies and manually set my default location in the settings, but ultimately, 9 times out of 10, it still changes

Any simple solutions?

TIA

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *namCarasCouple  over a year ago

dundee

[Removed by poster at 11/12/21 20:19:12]

By *namCarasCouple  over a year ago

dundee

"When I use my laptop at work, I have to use my mobile as a hotspot. For whatever reason, this changes my location (only on this site) from where I am in the central belt to Birmingham... Done all the obvious stuff like clear history/cache/cookies and manually set my default location in the settings, but ultimately, 9 times out of 10, it still changes

Any simple solutions?

TIA"

simple …. move to birmingham!

By *eterjamesmcMan  over a year ago

glasgow

Have you tried switching it off and switching it back on again?

Not sure I could cope with that accent... lol

Yeah, tried that... seems to be an IP issue

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"When I use my laptop at work, I have to use my mobile as a hotspot. For whatever reason, this changes my location (only on this site) from where I am in the central belt to Birmingham... Done all the obvious stuff like clear history/cache/cookies and manually set my default location in the settings, but ultimately, 9 times out of 10, it still changes

Any simple solutions?

TIA"

Early retirement.

By *ohnBh0yMan  over a year ago

LANARKSHIRE

Any simple solutions?

TIA"

Some devices using an action called Group Policy automatically detect a setting. In order that it uses this setting it would most likely have a certificate (That would be my guess).

Most large organisations would have this setup.

It may even be something as simple as when in range of the wifi, it automatically connects.

By *cottish_switchMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I could get *really* technical with the explanation but I won't.

Greatly simplified, when you connect the site looks up the internet address you're connecting from in a database and uses that to guess your location.

Mobile providers typically have a few masive 'endpoints' where all the traffic comes out to the internet - that's what's causing what you're seeing.

Nothing you can really do about it I'm afraid.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

are you using a VPN ?

if you are the VPN will show your location as a different place when its on

By *enaciousGuy73Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

VPN and business will dictate location.

Also, I wouldn't be using works Internet access to log on to here.

Potential for disciplinary action if and when they check, which by default will be monitored and checked regularly.

By *hrobbermanMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

It will simply be your Internet Provider's base of operations. Their hub if you like. I weould be very careful if using your work computer to come on here. The mood in this country you'd lose more than a laptop.

» Add a new message to this topic