FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > #dontpayuk

#dontpayuk

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anybody seen this trending across social media and Martin Lewis talking about it? Basic premise is that energy companies & government will be forced to take action and address fuel costs if everyone refuses to pay their bills from 1st October.

Would you do it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *tar_buck_1Man  over a year ago

Greenock

I seen this think it's about cancelling your direct debit with your energy supplier, sound good but would it be worth it in the long run ???

By *utcock61Man  over a year ago

glasgow

interesting,watching this.

By *llisonSmksTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayrshire

[Removed by poster at 29/07/22 20:15:04]

"I seen this think it's about cancelling your direct debit with your energy supplier, sound good but would it be worth it in the long run ???"

Yeah, we're being encouraged to cancel everything from 1st October. Simply refuse to pay. Like the poll tax.

"[Removed by poster at 29/07/22 20:15:04]"

Dunno why you deleted but was a good comment

Ayrshire

Something needs to be done about it.

Centrica and Shell announced record profits, and we're the daft bastards that end up lining their pockets.

So I'm definitely considering doing it.

Ayrshire

Typo

glasgow

and when glasgow city employees refused to pay the poll tax their wages got arrested!!

Greenock

9billion in the first quarter alone that's fuckin shocking that should be heavily taxes to give something back to everyone. No one should be making profits like that amount it's shocking

"Something needs to be done about it.

Centrica and Shell announced record profits, and we're the daft bastards that end up lining their pockets.

So I'm definitely considering doing it. "

Yeah, read somewhere that British Gas profits are up 500%. I realise these are businesses and their main objective is to make money for their shareholders. But how much fucking money do you need?

Greenock

Yeah, read somewhere that British Gas profits are up 500%. I realise these are businesses and their main objective is to make money for their shareholders. But how much fucking money do you need?"

the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, if the people get any lower we'll all be in the gutter where they want us.

By *ipmannMan  over a year ago

Cahir

Here in Ireland one company supplying natural gas has reported profit of 74% while raising the price twice in the last two months.

Unfortunately if you cancel your direct debit they will screw you over if you go to sign up again. Corruption of the highest order.

Ayrshire

Centrica is the holding company which British Gas is part of.

They claim the profits are due to the wholesale side of the business but it's always the end user who pays.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Anybody seen this trending across social media and Martin Lewis talking about it? Basic premise is that energy companies & government will be forced to take action and address fuel costs if everyone refuses to pay their bills from 1st October.

Would you do it?"

Have'nt seen it but something needs to be done! I would do it as long as it didnt affect my current contract.

Greenock

Would everyone canceling their direct debit make the energy supplier's reduce their price's I doubt it what do you think!!!

"Would everyone canceling their direct debit make the energy supplier's reduce their price's I doubt it what do you think!!!"

Guessing if everyone refused to pay then they would do something more than they are now.

I've taken all my credit out of mines.

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

They'll screw you on your credit rating and the like. Scottish Power have just tried to hike my DD by £100 pm. Funking likely

It's a great idea, in principle, but for the millions on prepay meters, it won't work. There would need to be a different strategy for them, so they did not lose their supply.

Just like the the poll tax all over again ,lol

glasgow

if you take your credit out your price will go through the roof!!!

By *enAdamsMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yeah, read somewhere that British Gas profits are up 500%. I realise these are businesses and their main objective is to make money for their shareholders. But how much fucking money do you need?

the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, if the people get any lower we'll all be in the gutter where they want us."

The rich will remain healthy and the poor will get sick !!

The energy companies would likely cut us off at some point x

By *mglasMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Id do it. Im also up for getting the pitchforks and flaming torches out if it comes to it. They're taking the james hunt as usual.

By *r Anon1Man  over a year ago

Bathgate

Never mind standing together to force the energy companies to panic. Where were the majority of you all wanting to stand together during Covid or other government manipulation and bribery. ( bet you don't also know that vaccines are being recalled because they've surpassed the 5 deaths as a direct result of taking a vaccine that are counted as acceptable with new vaccines this is in the US BTW. You won't see that on the BBC news.)

The only way to make anything like this work is to stand together no matter what the cost.

Because guaranteed 90% of people will think about their credit history rather than the money they'll save.

I've already cancelled my direct debit and told Scottish Power I'm not paying anymore bills until they reduce the prices.

So who's joining me ??

Don't just think about doing it ... do it.

Why don't we all get together in a small room limit of 2 blokes ,and just huddle together through the winter

Until your gas and electricity get cut?

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

"Until your gas and electricity get cut?"

You can't be cut off straight away, the power companies need to offer you a range of payment options. And I think if you have weans they can't knowingly cut you off.

Ifs n buts tho..you know just like the poll tax 1 way or another you will end up paying more.

By *illnatMan  over a year ago

wherever i need to be

Best advice if you do do it… put the money aside that you would normally pay… it would take one hell of a lot of people to not pay to make a dent in most of the big 5 bottom lines but they will come after you.

At least if it’s in an account somewhere you can pay it later.

The fear would be that that 40 or 50 smaller energy companies go bust and all the complications that come with it and supplier of last resort etc along with the possible job losses.

By *ndiiiMan  over a year ago

Paisley Scotland

Until your gas and electricity get cut?

You can't be cut off straight away, the power companies need to offer you a range of payment options. And I think if you have weans they can't knowingly cut you off.

You said it....a range of payment options NOT reduced prices.....

By *oShrinkingVioletWoman  over a year ago

the land of unicorns and fairytales

I’m already in dispute with edf over my bills, I’ve got three bills overlapping dates some as many as 24 days overlapping being charged once is bad enough but three times on the same day is ridiculous, getting texts and emails threatening to put me on a prepayment meter and going to debt collectors go for it see if I care anymore, get the energy ombudsman on the phone complain and keep causing as much grief as you can till they do something about it, they get loads of massive fines for any issues the ombudsman has to step in with. Check your bills make sure they’re not overcharging you and I’m on a smart meter but they’re still messing up

By *oversfunCouple  over a year ago

ayrshire

Our fixed tarrif ends on aug 8th have spoke to scottish power as our payment was going up 210 per month so have cancelled direct debit from the 8th and will pay monthly for what we use,not sure how it will work out but will see how it goes

By *uckylamondMan  over a year ago

Durham

Essentially this is like refusing to pay the cab driver because petrol has gone up. The profits are being made downstream where the raw fuel is extracted.

By *hrills_n_spillsCouple  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

For anyone interested in how price gouging is flaming a 2nd wave of inflation, Unite union has produced an good 24 page pdf based on ONS figures.

Basically unregulated capitalism is running amok. Low wages are part of the design.

I'm genuinely not interested in any one political party (I despise them all actually), but am interested in how any political figure who appears across the spectrum who has radically different ideas that could change our course is crushed by our openly right wing mainstream media.

By *adbury girlWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Our fixed tarrif ends on aug 8th have spoke to scottish power as our payment was going up 210 per month so have cancelled direct debit from the 8th and will pay monthly for what we use,not sure how it will work out but will see how it goes"

I’m on a fixed tariff till October 23 that’s when I will cancel my DD and just pay my bills monthly so I’m not building up credit with them

"Until your gas and electricity get cut?

You can't be cut off straight away, the power companies need to offer you a range of payment options. And I think if you have weans they can't knowingly cut you off. "

That's what the guy on the video was saying that I watched.

By *40ffCouple  over a year ago

lala land

"Centrica is the holding company which British Gas is part of.

They claim the profits are due to the wholesale side of the business but it's always the end user who pays."

This can't be true with France making laws that mean they only had a 4% rise compared to ours shows there is 100% no need for the rise we have had and as normal that are just talking rubbish xx

By *4Fun11Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

My feelings are that we can shout and scream and protest all we want but it’s not gonna change anything. The rich have always gotten richer and the poor have always suffered.

Interesting that had we not got in bed with the greens then cambo could well progressed now and we would have additional supply on our doorstep of gas, this would of helped reduce costs to consumer.

"My feelings are that we can shout and scream and protest all we want but it’s not gonna change anything. The rich have always gotten richer and the poor have always suffered. "

I honestly do not know how those who can actually improve thus situation for everyone but would rather take the £ can sleep at night. Weans will be cold this winter in their own homes. It's shameful.

In the west.

"Interesting that had we not got in bed with the greens then cambo could well progressed now and we would have additional supply on our doorstep of gas, this would of helped reduce costs to consumer.

"

We wouldn't see the gas from Cambo for years yet, all the infrastructure still needs to be put in place.

In the west.

"My feelings are that we can shout and scream and protest all we want but it’s not gonna change anything. The rich have always gotten richer and the poor have always suffered.

I honestly do not know how those who can actually improve thus situation for everyone but would rather take the £ can sleep at night. Weans will be cold this winter in their own homes. It's shameful."

It's not just weans that will be cold this winter, there will be plenty of people in work and the elderly who will have to choose between eating and heating.

"My feelings are that we can shout and scream and protest all we want but it’s not gonna change anything. The rich have always gotten richer and the poor have always suffered.

I honestly do not know how those who can actually improve thus situation for everyone but would rather take the £ can sleep at night. Weans will be cold this winter in their own homes. It's shameful.

It's not just weans that will be cold this winter, there will be plenty of people in work and the elderly who will have to choose between eating and heating. "

I know. My first thought went to wee yins though. Horrible to think of wee pensioners cold and alone.

By *adbury girlWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I honestly do not know how those who can actually improve thus situation for everyone but would rather take the £ can sleep at night. Weans will be cold this winter in their own homes. It's shameful."

Because the kind considerate govt we have are putting provisions in place so they don’t get cold without them even having to work for it so it’s a win win for everyone - that’s how they sleep at night

By *ane DTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow & Surrounds

It won't be any of our politicians that's for sure. Too many enjoy the gravy bus.

German cities are now switching of building lights, turning off fountains, banning portable AC, heaters and removing hot showers and reducing heating in public facilities.

It's going to be a hard winter.

In the west.

It's not just weans that will be cold this winter, there will be plenty of people in work and the elderly who will have to choose between eating and heating.

I know. My first thought went to wee yins though. Horrible to think of wee pensioners cold and alone."

Being alone could make it even more dangerous as they may develop hypothermia, it already happens though, if there is no one around to check on their well-being.

By *incsladyandscotsmanCouple  over a year ago

North fife

It's a shocking situation. These profits the energy companies are currently harvesting will need to be used to cover the bad debt that is coming their way.

It's clear they have ripped us off under the guise of costs rising uncontrollably and our inflation problem is a big part of their pricing strategy.

Ultimately an organisation will be toppled by cash flow it will be interesting to see what happens best...one thing is for sure something needs to be done. I cannot afford what is coming...I'd rather pay honourable companies whats due them before energy companies.

In the west.

I heard a German journalist on the radio this morning saying her father has told his children that he is limiting them to one hot shower per day, if the want another shower it will have to be cold.

The Germans seem to be paying a higher price than us for being reliant on Russian energy.

I was driving so I may have misheard a bit of it.

By *inkylad69Man  over a year ago

bellshill

[Removed by poster at 30/07/22 11:44:16]

bellshill

*************** WARNING ***************

For anyone considering this please don’t just jump on the band wagon hoping this will force or bring change. This might be the only option for some people who have no choice however if you have a choice please consider the unchangeable damage this will bring to you for the next 6 years!

Energy providers report you successful and unsuccessful monthly payments to credit reference agencies so missing payment as this movement encourages “might” cause change to help the worse off more by energy company’s it itself will have no impact on the governments policy making ether way but it will definitely hurt your credit file.

Having these missed payments on your credit file can have bigger consistencies than some people realise as this will follow you for the next 6 years and the reason for it will not matter to anyone you apply for credit with! This could mean you might get rejected for borrowing weather that is a credit card, loan, mortgage, bank account or car finance just to name a few and even if you are still accepted you will be categorised a higher risk customer so for that 6 years you will pay a higher interest rate than you would have before which specially on larger things such as loans, mortgages and car finance can result in paying thousands more.

Your decision will not only impact yourself it will also impact anyone you share credit with so if you share bank account or credit related service with say partner, parents, children which can be common just understand your decision will have the same impact on there credit file as you are linked together so if ether of you have negative markers like this placed on you it will be placed on them also even if they are not named on the account with the energy supplier. Even if you don’t share accounts or credit with anyone it can put a black mark on the address itself where as long as you live there anyone else under that address will still get impacted when there address is checked

But like I said this is a personal choice and those who simply can’t afford it will have no choice and this is the best or only option they have there is no shame in that but for those who potentially can afford it and my just be an inconvenience as would need to dip into savings or cut but on luxuries then please make the decision with a balanced view of positive and negative outcomes of your decision.

A lot of people might know all of this and don’t intend to come of as condescending ect I just know there are a lot of people that maybe are not a clued up on this type of thing and just wanted to make this point incase it can help even 1 person.

bellshill

Watch GMB video on YouTube from yesterday the activist pushing for change from these companies and government couldn’t actively recommend this movement because she is still traumatised with her past experience of not paying which isn’t as simple as cutting off supply her door got knocked in do they could install pre payment meters

Shameful situation as you say Miss Muff kids and elderly this winter will be so badly affected. Hope things do change greed of these big companies is overwhelming

Aberdeenshire

"*************** WARNING ***************

For anyone considering this please don’t just jump on the band wagon hoping this will force or bring change. This might be the only option for some people who have no choice however if you have a choice please consider the unchangeable damage this will bring to you for the next 6 years!

Energy providers report you successful and unsuccessful monthly payments to credit reference agencies so missing payment as this movement encourages “might” cause change to help the worse off more by energy company’s it itself will have no impact on the governments policy making ether way but it will definitely hurt your credit file.

Having these missed payments on your credit file can have bigger consistencies than some people realise as this will follow you for the next 6 years and the reason for it will not matter to anyone you apply for credit with! This could mean you might get rejected for borrowing weather that is a credit card, loan, mortgage, bank account or car finance just to name a few and even if you are still accepted you will be categorised a higher risk customer so for that 6 years you will pay a higher interest rate than you would have before which specially on larger things such as loans, mortgages and car finance can result in paying thousands more.

Your decision will not only impact yourself it will also impact anyone you share credit with so if you share bank account or credit related service with say partner, parents, children which can be common just understand your decision will have the same impact on there credit file as you are linked together so if ether of you have negative markers like this placed on you it will be placed on them also even if they are not named on the account with the energy supplier. Even if you don’t share accounts or credit with anyone it can put a black mark on the address itself where as long as you live there anyone else under that address will still get impacted when there address is checked

But like I said this is a personal choice and those who simply can’t afford it will have no choice and this is the best or only option they have there is no shame in that but for those who potentially can afford it and my just be an inconvenience as would need to dip into savings or cut but on luxuries then please make the decision with a balanced view of positive and negative outcomes of your decision.

A lot of people might know all of this and don’t intend to come of as condescending ect I just know there are a lot of people that maybe are not a clued up on this type of thing and just wanted to make this point incase it can help even 1 person.

"

Excellent post. I do believe in the spirit of collective consumer power but the reality is far different.

Aberdeenshire

"Interesting that had we not got in bed with the greens then cambo could well progressed now and we would have additional supply on our doorstep of gas, this would of helped reduce costs to consumer. "

Can't agree with that. I've been in oil and gas my whole career, but unfortunately the industry I'm in needs to be responsibly wound down and emergency investment in other sources should be an absolute priority.

More oversight/control in corporate revenue / profits and a government controlled transfer of the wealth streams from corporations etc to public infrastructure and workers wages. No more funneling of wealth offshore / politicians friends.

All the PEER REVIEWED data available suggests we are in unavoidable trouble. Without indulging in doomism, our retirements, our children and grandchildren can't now escape the mad max esque hellscape predicted by 2040 / 2050.

We can lay the foundations now of the best chance of a survivable route. Business as usual can only be seen as unimaginative twaddle.

Despite all that I'm not a green looney, more a casual observer, certainly dont have all the answers but its undeniable capitalism got us into this, capitalism will not get us out of this.

By *unguy1969ABCMan  over a year ago

Stirling

Everyone should cancel their direct debits to both gas and electricity suppliers, but still put the money aside to pay your bill when it comes in. The monies better off in your bank than in theirs. I also don't use Shell petrol stations for anything. Their still screwing us at the pumps to.

» Add a new message to this topic