FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Tips for public speaking

Tips for public speaking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So, you're a talented bunch with a diverse range of backgrounds and jobs.

What are you best tried and tested tips for public speaking?

I'll be talking doing this soon and am a toatie wee bit nervous.

I may talk a good game when I've got my stilettos and sussies on but otherwise am a bit feart in these situations.

The usual suggestions have been made - imagine the audience naked, etc. My fear with this is that there will be a total ride in the front row and I'll get distracted, go into "Muff Mode" and launch my knickers like a sling shot at him.

We don't want that.

We want professional, demure and composed Muff.

Suggestions?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *imbobaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Imagine you are Nicola Sturgeon. Scrub that. Imagine you’re Billy Connelly.

Get pissed before hand.

Wear a butt plug. Focus on that.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Preperation is all you can do make sure you know your subject and the audience cater for them all, make them smile nothing wrong with a little banter at the start tends to relax you as much as them into it, the whole naked stuffs pile bollocks imo you don't need eye contact but ensure you speak in the directions around the room moving for them all not holding gazes etc that way your not actually talking directly into faces and put off with expressions

Good luck

"So, you're a talented bunch with a diverse range of backgrounds and jobs.

I may talk a good game when I've got my stilettos and sussies on but otherwise am a bit feart in these situations.

The usual suggestions have been made - imagine the audience naked, etc. My fear with this is that there will be a total ride in the front row and I'll get distracted, go into "Muff Mode" and launch my knickers like a sling shot at him.

We don't want that.

Suggestions?"

Treat it like a first date, show up pissed.

By *ancer36Woman  over a year ago

Stirling

[Removed by poster at 24/08/22 16:59:21]

Stirling

Start with what I would call a ‘grabber’ a personal experience that ties in with the topic your talking about or a quote or something that gets the audience hooked and onboard - make the middle section of the speech informative but don’t overload an audience with jargon or put yourself under pressure to use elaborate vocabulary - try to be clear, concise and deliver the subject in a manner you’d want it to be delivered to you.

Take a pause when needed, and practice reading aloud prior, arrive in good time and take a deep breath.

Finish with a summary and be prepped for questions.

Good luck xx

"Start with what I would call a ‘grabber’ a personal experience that ties in with the topic your talking about or a quote or something that gets the audience hooked and onboard - make the middle section of the speech informative but don’t overload an audience with jargon or put yourself under pressure to use elaborate vocabulary - try to be clear, concise and deliver the subject in a manner you’d want it to be delivered to you.

Take a pause when needed, and practice reading aloud prior, arrive in good time and take a deep breath.

Good luck xx"

Can you do it for me?

There's a tenner and a box of Maltesers in it for you

Stirling

"Start with what I would call a ‘grabber’ a personal experience that ties in with the topic your talking about or a quote or something that gets the audience hooked and onboard - make the middle section of the speech informative but don’t overload an audience with jargon or put yourself under pressure to use elaborate vocabulary - try to be clear, concise and deliver the subject in a manner you’d want it to be delivered to you.

Good luck xx

Can you do it for me?

There's a tenner and a box of Maltesers in it for you "

Haha you’ve got this - as much as I love a Malteser - keep the tenner a buy yourself a celebratory drink when done

Perhaps a starbar instead??

No wait that was another lady wasn't it

Like others have said, preparation helps.

Knowing what you are speaking about will give you confidence, and practice beforehand. Don't just focus on one person, smile, use humour, if appropriate, and use expression in your tone, that should keep your audience interested and hanging onto your every word.

Good luck

"Like others have said, preparation helps.

Knowing what you are speaking about will give you confidence, and practice beforehand. Don't just focus on one person, smile, use humour, if appropriate, and use expression in your tone, that should keep your audience interested and hanging onto your every word.

Good luck

"

Thank you x

The best advice I got for a wedding speech was to smile. I focused on that and it took away the distraction of a room.full of people staring at me.

Bear in mind the audience are just people too. They don't expect perfection so if you do mess up a bit just laugh it off and move on, they'll relate to you and they understand.

"The best advice I got for a wedding speech was to smile. I focused on that and it took away the distraction of a room.full of people staring at me."

I'll mind and put my teeth in then

"Bear in mind the audience are just people too. They don't expect perfection so if you do mess up a bit just laugh it off and move on, they'll relate to you and they understand. "

Cheers Mrs.

Sure I'll feel a sense of achievement once it's done.

By *igGs19Woman  over a year ago

Castle Douglas

Nothing I'd add to the speaking tips above, anything I'd say had been said.

Only thing I'd add, you said yourself that the sussies and heels give you confidence. You need to find an appropriate alternative for your armour. Obviously don't know your context, if you're a uniform wearer then your sorta stuck with that. Otherwise - don't wear a suit if it's going to make you feel self conscious and have you adjusting it constantly, or don't wear a dress if you're going to be forever pulling at the hem, etc. My personal go-to is a colourful striped knee length dress, 3/4 length suit jacket, and heels. I feel feminine but strong in it, it covers the lumps and bumps, it's formal enough with the jacket, but the dress and pop of colour mean it's not too boring and blaaaah office look. I can stand up in multi agency liaison group meeting in that and feel confident in it. Personally like to hold on to the feeling of femininity (working in a male dominated environment- they feel more uncomfortable than me if I'm wearing a dress and they're all in suits).

Don't be afraid to have notes or pointers, just make sure they're not so verbose that you get lost in them, there's nothing worse than confidently getting partway through a talk, looking up to finish a sentence to the room, then looking back down and having to uhm and eeeh for a minute til you find where you were! Totally puts you off for the rest of your talk.

If nothing else, I find if a feign confidence hard enough, I eventually settle into it and nobody is any the wiser!

By *4Fun11Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I used to wear my glasses so that I couldn’t see everyone staring at me. But now I take it all in my stride.

As said above, know your subject and be prepared for questions oh and don’t waffle.

If you don’t know something then say you don’t know but that you’ll get back to them on that point.

Good luck

I’m doing this tonight but the first time I did it I was utterly petrified and hurtled through my presentation with hardly a breath .

Over time I’ve learned to slow down enjoy it like you would talking to friends. Remembering that the audience are keen to hear what you have to say helped too (I know I do when I’m IN the audience). Pace yourself,make eye contact with folk, engaging your audience is key and fun. Also time yourself beforehand.

You’ll be fantastic I’m sure

If you are anything like me, I feel nervous as all holy hell leading upto it and once I start my sense of humour comes through and I just in to autopilot.

My only advice is to imagine you are talking to one person in the audience and if you lose your train of thought just be ho est and say that.

By *ark EdgeCouple  over a year ago

Stirling

Follow the 6Ps, prior practice prevents piss poor performance. Practice out loud, talk through the whole speech and stick to the plan.

By *lexanderSupertrampMan  over a year ago

Gourock

Confidence is key, if they believe you are an authority on the subject and know your stuff then they'll buy it.

I've been winging it for years at work.

We don't want that.

Suggestions?"

My job is actually public speaking beat advise is write your speech down then practise saying it out loud when you do that you'll hear bits that you like and don't like. You will also know how long your speech is and it will stay in your head.

I always focus on really knowing the opening bit and when you nail that you get confidence.

Also stick to your personality I have no crack so I don't try and be funny

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

Are you confident with the topic?

What will you be using to keep you on track, cue cards or PPT?

Don't use tech you are unfamiliar with.

Whatever you use just have short bullet points rather than sentences. If you use sentences you can get tongue tied and the audience will read that rather than pay attention to you, even if you are down to your heels and nylons, oooooft.

Images speak a 1000 words and they allow you to love your hands to point things out.

I always speak to them first by asking them some questions and put them at ease as well, then you have started building a rapport with them.

As has been said above don't overload the audience with jargon, technical words or words you don't know the full meaning of or find them difficult to pronounce.

They are a bit like essays.

*Tell them what you are going to say

*Say it

*Tell them what you've said

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Such a hard thing to do. Here are my tips (this lot won’t believe me but I used to be really painfully shy and awkward until I had a job where I had to do this stuff almost bloody weekly!)

Comfortable but smart clothes that you won’t feel need faffing with as poster before said. Don’t be wearing new shoes or bra on the day!

I would say no caffeine beforehand, not everyone will agree BUT something sweet can be good as adrenaline can make your blood sugar drop, needn’t be unhealthy some fruit would be good, lubricates the mouth too.

Breathe - seems obvious, few of us know how to properly and when nervous we can unconsciously slip into shallow breathing which can make the voice squeaky. Breathe right down into the diaphragm, slow deep breaths in through nose out through mouth. Few before and if during your feel yourself waffling or speaking to quickly a breath can help you reset.

Instead of imagining the audience naked imagine it’s full of friends. If you’re really struggling use the ballet dancers trick, pick a spot on the back wall directly in front of you and focus on that.

If you want memory joggers I would say key words only not swathes of quotes on half size index cards in bright colours so they’re easy to quickly glance at and read.

At the end smile and say thanks for listening/their time.

It is nerve wracking but you will get through it honest

By *ane DTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow.

Depends what you are talking about, are you giving a power point too?

If you are - don't talk to the screen, talk to the room. If you can get into the space early and have someone at the back of the room to hear if you are pitching right.

You don't want to pitch to the front and the back won't hear you.

Be confident, deep breath, you know the stuff you are presenting...

We don't want that.

Suggestions?

My job is actually public speaking beat advise is write your speech down then practise saying it out loud when you do that you'll hear bits that you like and don't like. You will also know how long your speech is and it will stay in your head.

I always focus on really knowing the opening bit and when you nail that you get confidence.

Also stick to your personality I have no crack so I don't try and be funny "

Ma crack is all I've got!

The breathing point makes sense....many moons ago when I last did something like this I remember having that problem.

Cheers

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Please dont sing....

Practice what your going to say. Then practice it again.

If it is formal and your nervous, do not venture into joke land. Keep it precise and to the point.

Have a glass of water to hand. It buys you time if you lose your place

Set out that questions come after the talk. Hold the room.

Be prepared to remind cross talkers that you are speaking.

Pick a point at the back of the room to talk to. Stand face your audience, it opens the lungs and projects your voice.

Have place cards as conversation starters as opposed to A4 paper (people turn of at a speach) if you can.

Practice and practice and practice.

"Please dont sing....

Practice what your going to say. Then practice it again.

If it is formal and your nervous, do not venture into joke land. Keep it precise and to the point.

Have a glass of water to hand. It buys you time if you lose your place

Set out that questions come after the talk. Hold the room.

Be prepared to remind cross talkers that you are speaking.

Pick a point at the back of the room to talk to. Stand face your audience, it opens the lungs and projects your voice.

Have place cards as conversation starters as opposed to A4 paper (people turn of at a speach) if you can.

Practice and practice and practice.

"

No singing involved thankfully

It’s all in the mind really, all the doubt, over thinking etc, all our own self mind games.

You know you can do it, so, go do it

Then, when done and you know you did really well from my advice, il have a pm with a date and time

"It’s all in the mind really, all the doubt, over thinking etc, all our own self mind games.

You know you can do it, so, go do it

Then, when done and you know you did really well from my advice, il have a pm with a date and time "

Cocky young whippersnapper!

By *ac995Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Leave the ego at home

Don’t take it too seriously.

Let things flow

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

There are alot of good pointers above. I'll add a few..

Deep breaths steady the nerves.

Be passionate about the subject.

A6 cards with easy read bullet points.

Number the cards so you keep on track.

Timing is everything. 10min presentation will need no more than 4 slides / 4 bullet point cards maybe even less.

Keep your head up when speak and project your voice to the back of the room..

Have fun and remember the audience wants you to succeed......

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan  over a year ago

Glasgow (visiting London)

If you’re being asked to talk to an audience, it’s because someone believes you’re the best person for the job. Trust their judgement. You’ve got this.

By *imbobaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Ffs all this useful info makes my butt plug suggestion make me sound like a school boy. Just bat your eye lids.

I've done similar talks to a large groups and it's already been said , be prepared and try enjoy it , be yourself it's only other people you are talking to , something you probably wouldn't think twice over if it was a cjs night full of newbies, you'd be right in there lol.

Rob shyder says "you can do it"

By *lways_horny999Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Watch Alan Partridge he will guide you, don't pierce your foot on a spike tho

Can’t really add too much to the great suggestions above, all I can say is remember you share something with the audience. You’re all human. I’m rooting for you!

We don't want that.

Suggestions?"

Practice loads and when speaking id say dont look at faces look just above peoples heads or a few points in the room to glance at (unless u want to make eye contact lol that puts me off a tad tho). Take your time and I swear once you get the flow going you'll ace it ...I think you'll be grand you sexpot x

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

Definitely no caffeine before you go out.

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Breathe. As vamp said breathing deep from inside will get you through.

If you are nervous before you present, rest a finger across your top lip, under your nose and concentrate only on your breathing, feeling the exhale on your finger. This simple breathing technique will help settle the pre talk nerves.

Good luck x

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan  over a year ago

Glasgow (visiting London)

Miss Muff now has so many helpful tips to remember, she’ll end up forgetting her actual talk!

"Breathe. As vamp said breathing deep from inside will get you through.

If you are nervous before you present, rest a finger across your top lip, under your nose and concentrate only on your breathing, feeling the exhale on your finger. This simple breathing technique will help settle the pre talk nerves.

Good luck x"

Makes mental note not to scratch bumhole before using this technique

We don't want that.

Suggestions?

Practice loads and when speaking id say dont look at faces look just above peoples heads or a few points in the room to glance at (unless u want to make eye contact lol that puts me off a tad tho). Take your time and I swear once you get the flow going you'll ace it ...I think you'll be grand you sexpot x "

By *tarburst babydollCouple  over a year ago

Dingwall

4 double vodkas

By *otmale5Man  over a year ago

glasgow

. Hi Muff ,tried to message you directly.

Not sure what your topic is or who your directing the talk to.. a professional presentation is different to a speech..

in any case .. imagine you talk is a steam train.

1. The engine.. is the start.. it pulls the carriages. It presents the audience with a reminder of why they are here and out lines your talk . It’s the intro.

2. Each carriage is the subject broken down into points of the talk..

3. The guards car at the rear . Is the end speech.. which is a summery of the talk and conclusion.

If you tell me more I may be able to help further .. regards Hotmale

By *otmale5Man  over a year ago

glasgow

[Removed by poster at 25/08/22 10:04:13]

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Who do you admire?

Someone that talks well.

Imagine being them.

In terms of impact, if you think your delivery/style is over the top, then you're probably pitching it just about right.

If you can pull a Superman/Wonder Woman pose before you go on, that works too.

Face the fear and do it anyway.

Be great.

Edinburgh

By *evils PuddingCouple  over a year ago

Paisley

Only read a few posts so apologies if it's mentioned, but practice practice practice. And depending on the type of speaking it is, adapt to the style that suits. If it's professional I'd go with the Maggie Thatcher slow and assertive tone (accent not important.) If it's less formal fling in some annecdote that shows personality. Most importantly, the audience generally don't know if you get something wrong or miss something out.

Ffs...after reading all this I'm ready to take on the world!

Away to ask Nicola Sturgeon for a square go.

In the west.

I'm in a meeting just now where my manager is presenting. If you want to see how not to do it, I will invite you in.

Practice, practice, practice is the key.

If you're worried about talking too fast or too slow, record yourself and listen to it and see if that is problem. It'll help you identify areas in your talk that you think need to be more clear or areas you think you could work on.

Lastly doing your talk while looking in the mirror. I know that's a bit out there but it helps you get used to speaking to someone and looking them in the eye (even if it is yourself) and if you're still nervous at the end of it, say Candyman 5 times looking in the mirror and see if he'll help you out

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

You are obviously what we would call a subject matter expert but don’t presume all of your audience has the same knowledge or experience. Don’t talk in acronyms. Not everyone will know what they stand for. Have a slide that explains them or give them out in full and then give the acronym. I lose interest when I haven’t a clue what they are going on about.

Practice sticking to your time limit and if appropriate leave time for questions.

You’ve got this.

By *ndiiiMan  over a year ago

Paisley Scotland

Know the topic.

Good introduction.

Speak slowly and clearly ensure you can be heard by everyone.

Time your speech .

Refer to notes.

For the butterflies gently rub your palms with your middle finger it honestly helps.

Good luck.c

Believe what you are saying, speak with confidence and authority.

If you stumble, own it and acknowledge it.

I am better presenting to a large crowd than a small crowd.

From experience a percentage of your audience will have zoned out before you speak, a percentage are there because they ‘have to’ ie not through choice.

If it goes badly it’ll be forgotten about, how many attendees will you see again?

Above all you were chosen/selected because of your abilities. Many were not

Edinburgh

We should start a consultancy firm.

By *pertoMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

As somebody who makes a living standing on stage, and also teaching people to do the same there are a few things.

There is a very real difference between a good talk and somebody who is good at talking. I've heard a lot of great speeches fall flat because the delivery wasn't there and I've seen people capture a room full of people without having anything worthwhile.

Generally it's far better to work from bullet points rather than a completely written talk. It's maybe good to write a few out full and just practise how you get from point A to point B but on stage have bullet points because that way your memory is being jogged rather than watching someone painfully look through the script to find the place. Bullet points allow you to come across as more confident and be more natural, which in turn makes you feel more confident.

Practise. Practise. Practise. Practise in front of the mirror. You'll hate yourself. Film yourself. You'll hate yourself. Watch it back the next day with fresh eyes and ears. You'll hate yourself but you'll bizarrely find things you hated that you actually like. Critique it and look at your body language and composure during it then go work on improving that to what you want.

Record it and listen to it back while you are driving, doing the dishes or whatever. It's amazing how much of the information you'll retain just by having it constantly in the background. If you can pull yourself out of bed at 4am and deliver the information then you know the information!

Run the talk to yourself when you are out and about. You'll look crazy (and hate yourself for it) but in doing it you will get over the hurdle of doing it in front of people.

Go for a walk and just run the talk. Go for a walk and wear several more layers than you are used to do and run the talk. You are going to feel a lot warmer than normal on stage so that allows you to get used to what that feels like. The more used to it you are the less it becomes a thing.

Do it straight after a workout, or sex, when you are really warm and more than a bit sweaty.

The more you've run it the more it becomes just a thing you are able to talk about. It's a big hurdle for people to get up and face an audience. It's weirdly vulnerable and so exposed but strangely at this stage in my life I'm actually far more comfortable with an audience in front of me rather than anything else and I've always been the quietest of quiet ones to friends and family.

You got this!

"As somebody who makes a living standing on stage, and also teaching people to do the same there are a few things.

There is a very real difference between a good talk and somebody who is good at talking. I've heard a lot of great speeches fall flat because the delivery wasn't there and I've seen people capture a room full of people without having anything worthwhile.

Generally it's far better to work from bullet points rather than a completely written talk. It's maybe good to write a few out full and just practise how you get from point A to point B but on stage have bullet points because that way your memory is being jogged rather than watching someone painfully look through the script to find the place. Bullet points allow you to come across as more confident and be more natural, which in turn makes you feel more confident.

Practise. Practise. Practise. Practise in front of the mirror. You'll hate yourself. Film yourself. You'll hate yourself. Watch it back the next day with fresh eyes and ears. You'll hate yourself but you'll bizarrely find things you hated that you actually like. Critique it and look at your body language and composure during it then go work on improving that to what you want.

Record it and listen to it back while you are driving, doing the dishes or whatever. It's amazing how much of the information you'll retain just by having it constantly in the background. If you can pull yourself out of bed at 4am and deliver the information then you know the information!

Run the talk to yourself when you are out and about. You'll look crazy (and hate yourself for it) but in doing it you will get over the hurdle of doing it in front of people.

Go for a walk and just run the talk. Go for a walk and wear several more layers than you are used to do and run the talk. You are going to feel a lot warmer than normal on stage so that allows you to get used to what that feels like. The more used to it you are the less it becomes a thing.

Do it straight after a workout, or sex, when you are really warm and more than a bit sweaty.

The more you've run it the more it becomes just a thing you are able to talk about. It's a big hurdle for people to get up and face an audience. It's weirdly vulnerable and so exposed but strangely at this stage in my life I'm actually far more comfortable with an audience in front of me rather than anything else and I've always been the quietest of quiet ones to friends and family.

You got this! "

Cheers .

Was parked up at lunch time in a park talking to myself in the car and got a few odd looks

Skelped it oot the park yesterday even if I do say so myself!

Thanks for all the tips. Made a nice change from the kind I'm usually offered on here.

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Skelped it oot the park yesterday even if I do say so myself!

Thanks for all the tips. Made a nice change from the kind I'm usually offered on here. "

Well done Muffy. On fire!!!!

I never had any doubt that you would be amazing. Well done.

By *ighlander81Man  over a year ago

Hamilton

Following in from what a few folks have said preparation is key and knowing what your subject is as much as you can but for me having been in a band and on stage in focus for a long time is knowing the belief that you’re not there by chance you’ve been recognised with the ability so draw that through it will help your confidence.

By *Electricity1Man  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

When Practicing, do it with a mirror in front of you. This way you can analyse and correct your own posture, body language and facial expressions.

In the west.

Thanks for all the tips. Made a nice change from the kind I'm usually offered on here. "

Well done.

Did you get it, if it was a job?

By *vanabeusedTV/TS  over a year ago

somewhere

Sent you a couple of ideas in a message x

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

That’s brilliant well done!

By *assy LassieWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Well done!

Try not to speed up, very easy to do so through nerves. Good luck.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

Well done. Never doubted your ability. You’ll be looking forward to the next one now.

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

I like to start with the conclusion as it forces people to follow. Avoid jargon, visual prompts mainly and preparation. Prep includes any side topics if possible.

By *ocalfun888Man  over a year ago

Angus DD8 Areas

You could always just do a spud from trainspotting

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"Skelped it oot the park yesterday even if I do say so myself! "

Always knew you would.. xx

By *unshineaftertherainMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Good luck xx

Can you do it for me?

There's a tenner and a box of Maltesers in it for you "

#thelighterwaytoenjoychocolate

Take your time, as folk have sausage, know your audience first, don't ficus on the front row, and do learn your script, don't read straight off it, mice your hands about , remember the audience will be nervous for you.

"Take your time, as folk have sausage, know your audience first, don't ficus on the front row, and do learn your script, don't read straight off it, mice your hands about , remember the audience will be nervous for you."

Folk have sausage?

Should I have some too to calm the nerves beforehand?

"Take your time, as folk have sausage, know your audience first, don't ficus on the front row, and do learn your script, don't read straight off it, mice your hands about , remember the audience will be nervous for you.

Folk have sausage?

Should I have some too to calm the nerves beforehand?"

Oooft spell check how did said turn into sausage,need a word with my phone, the mind boggles, but hey it may work ,

You've got this Miss Muff.

Visit the venue, room etc where you'll be doing your speech too. Visualise you talking, have notes to hand but only key words/phrases like a mind map.a speech is always better when it doesn't sound too polished but more you know your subject already. Don't be afraid to take time to compose yourself, have some water if need time to think. And maybe a wee 10min mindfulness breathing exercises before you go on.

Good luck

» Add a new message to this topic