FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Struggling at Christmas

Struggling at Christmas

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I sincerely hope this doesn't come across as judgemental or anything but for anyone struggling at this time of year (and let's face it, we all are in some way or another), I thought this thread might be a good way to provide support and help for anyone out there who is going through a rough time.

Morrisons cafes have a scheme called "Ask for Henry" that will allow someone to be provided with a warm meal free of charge in a very discreet way.

I didn't know Morrisons done anything like this so please spread the word and help out as many people as possible. If any other places do something similar, pop them in here to raise awareness!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Asda do an over 60’s deal soup + roll unlimited hot drink for a pound . Only where it’s an Asda cafe not a concession .

By *hy and innocentCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Great post.

Innocent

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Lots of profiles on here have great pictures to peruse . They’ve given me a few warm feelings and increased my blood flow to certain extremities .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

While I'm working and earning a good wage, I'm not struggling OP but I do struggle in other ways. However, I always help out where I can with anyone who is struggling at this time of year x

By *bostCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

This is a great idea. Well done OP.

By *inUpGirlWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Alot of local pubs and cafes are doing warm spaces aswell we're you can go and sit and have a cuppa etc free of charge x

By *othianGuy41Man  over a year ago

Eureka

Good on you op, but see lots of post on FB ect offering things to people who are struggling. But would half the people actually help someone in need? I think most of these posts are to make these people feel good about themselves. I'd genuinely help someone if they genuinely needed help. But I wouldn't say it just for likes. Think people should be more mindful before saying things.

Good thread

For anyone that can and would like to, £5 donation buys meal for homeless in Aberdeen. Friend runs this one, but I believe there are similar schemes in glasgow and Edinburgh

https://www.itison.com/Aberdeen/deals/christmas-dinner-for-a-homeless-person-3

Eureka

"Good thread

For anyone that can and would like to, £5 donation buys meal for homeless in Aberdeen. Friend runs this one, but I believe there are similar schemes in glasgow and Edinburgh

"

Done. Hope it helps someone. I hope others help too.

By *ettercallsaul118Man  over a year ago

Funtown

Although if ever asked for money from someone on the street that's less fortunate if I have it it's there's but I find more often I'll buy them a hot drink and sandwiches from a Greggs. Did this to a few foreign people who sit on corners now but they just pour the drink out and throw the food away.

Eureka

"Although if ever asked for money from someone on the street that's less fortunate if I have it it's there's but I find more often I'll buy them a hot drink and sandwiches from a Greggs. Did this to a few foreign people who sit on corners now but they just pour the drink out and throw the food away. "

Unfortunately there are professional foreign begging gangs. Mostly Glasgow & Edinburgh. I used to help my dad at his stall on the royal mile & the woman (Romanian) would beg all day then a guy would come round & take the money. But more recently they are using animals & even kids who are sedated. I know this from fact because I've seen it! It's absolutely shocking! Has anyone else witnessed this?

[Removed by poster at 14/12/22 23:27:14]

"Good thread

Done. Hope it helps someone. I hope others help too. "

"Although if ever asked for money from someone on the street that's less fortunate if I have it it's there's but I find more often I'll buy them a hot drink and sandwiches from a Greggs. Did this to a few foreign people who sit on corners now but they just pour the drink out and throw the food away.

Unfortunately there are professional foreign begging gangs. Mostly Glasgow & Edinburgh. I used to help my dad at his stall on the royal mile & the woman (Romanian) would beg all day then a guy would come round & take the money. But more recently they are using animals & even kids who are sedated. I know this from fact because I've seen it! It's absolutely shocking! Has anyone else witnessed this? "

Unfortunately yes, my sister is paramedic and has relatively frequent call outs from concerned members of public, really snakes belly low stuff - but you have to consider the chain, it’s very few peoples life choice to do that, 99/100 it is forced on them by local gang leaders, who in turn have family at home in Albania/Romania/wherever being held randsome

By *rBlueEyes35Man  over a year ago

Alva

I feel I'm at the point where I'm going to have to start selling myself off with the amount of debt from bills and repairs.. good to know there are people out there doing their bit and even though I'm struggling I still try help others where I can even if its just a lift somewhere to help.

By *ing_of_the_swingers400Man  over a year ago

edinbugh

This is a really good thread

There are many good groups and schemes all over the country and nobody should be embarrassed to use them, after all we have all had to reach out at some point!

If anyone feels they are finding times tough then feel free to get in touch, it’s good to talk after all

Take care all

By *eamworkboyMan  over a year ago

Irvine

I live in Irvine but am willing to travel to Glasgow area to help out / volunteer with any homeless charities who need a hand out over the festive period, I'm not doing anything else so will gladly donate my time x

By *ax19862002Man  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Relatively comfortable here so able and willing to help as well x

By *andy_FraserTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh

The Morrisons/Henry thing is sponsored by Heinz, so they're doing a little bit too, just Morrisons doing all the groundwork.

I know someone that works in a Morrisons cafe and she said that nobody was taking advantage of it as she thinks some people are too proud to ask.

But the day after it was promted on a national news show, a mini-bus with nearly 20 old folks, rolled up and they all came in and asked for Henry. I hope it wasn't just an old-folks home taking advantage of it.

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

"The Morrisons/Henry thing is sponsored by Heinz, so they're doing a little bit too, just Morrisons doing all the groundwork.

I know someone that works in a Morrisons cafe and she said that nobody was taking advantage of it as she thinks some people are too proud to ask.

But the day after it was promted on a national news show, a mini-bus with nearly 20 old folks, rolled up and they all came in and asked for Henry. I hope it wasn't just an old-folks home taking advantage of it."

Isn't it supposed to be something that's offered with no judgement?

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

"The Morrisons/Henry thing is sponsored by Heinz, so they're doing a little bit too, just Morrisons doing all the groundwork.

But the day after it was promted on a national news show, a mini-bus with nearly 20 old folks, rolled up and they all came in and asked for Henry. I hope it wasn't just an old-folks home taking advantage of it.

Isn't it supposed to be something that's offered with no judgement?"

Maybe they were from a community group where they can meet for a warm space and lunch. I used to work for Morrisons and they were always big on community projects so I don't think they will make a judgement.

Scottish parliament do a similar scheme

You just ask for expenses and everything is free

The company shop in paisley provide discounted foods to people working in emergency services, 3rd sector, ex military and pensioners. Website states who is eligible but the also have another shop called the community shop which is for local people in need.

"Although if ever asked for money from someone on the street that's less fortunate if I have it it's there's but I find more often I'll buy them a hot drink and sandwiches from a Greggs. Did this to a few foreign people who sit on corners now but they just pour the drink out and throw the food away.

Unfortunately there are professional foreign begging gangs. Mostly Glasgow & Edinburgh. I used to help my dad at his stall on the royal mile & the woman (Romanian) would beg all day then a guy would come round & take the money. But more recently they are using animals & even kids who are sedated. I know this from fact because I've seen it! It's absolutely shocking! Has anyone else witnessed this?

Unfortunately yes, my sister is paramedic and has relatively frequent call outs from concerned members of public, really snakes belly low stuff - but you have to consider the chain, it’s very few peoples life choice to do that, 99/100 it is forced on them by local gang leaders, who in turn have family at home in Albania/Romania/wherever being held randsome "

Watched these gangs for years begging walking round corner into a brand new Merc....

» Add a new message to this topic