FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Glasgow low emissions zone

Glasgow low emissions zone

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *enni White OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

With the zone coming into effect 1st June 23, how will this effect you?

I normally take my car on a night out in town as I don't drink. Makes me.feel safe. But I don't own or cant afford an exempt vehicle.

I also park close on pre drinks nights before heading to CJs. Won't be able to after 1st June.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My car is only a few months old, so thankfully I'm not affected.

How old is your car Jenni?

By *raggle rocks itMan  over a year ago

helensburgh

Doesn't have any effect, all my cars are compliant.

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

We’ve got three cars. Two of them will be banned from the city centre. It’s a pain in the arse.

The ruling on which cars are barred and which aren’t is poorly done, if you ask me. Our car that’s allowed in is more polluting than one of our banned ones, but because it’s more modern it’s okay.

By *utcock61Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Another money making fuckup.

By *lasgowmale35Man  over a year ago

glasgow

I think its a dangerous situation for young clubbers getting home from the city centre, no more safe nightime mum or dad taxi lifts home for the kids. Now taxi companies will no doubt increase the already extortionate prices they are charging, not to mention the creepy, dodgy pirate cabs who are already ripping folk in town. This will lead to folk walking towards the outskirts of the LEZ into dodgy, quiter parts of town for a lift.

Red Flags all round for me.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

My car meets the requirements but the issue will be if they update this in a couple of years and more cars won’t then meet the criteria.

Valid points raised above about the safety of those who get lifts home and for many of us who meet in town for pre-drinks. This may be another nail in the coffin for the hospitality industry that are already struggling. Taxis are struggling to meet the requirements as well so more queues and probably more difficult to get taxis from outside Glasgow to do pick ups in town.

By *irtycumboCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Just another money making scheme and to limit our movement...... If the worlds climate was falling apart then mortgage companies wouldn't be loaning money for 35years etc..... A load of bollocks

By *opetop4UMan  over a year ago

Aberdeen

Not sure if Glasgow is the same but in Aberdeen there will be a two year grace period before any penalties are applied.

By *jezee1000Man  over a year ago

perth

Hiw far out does the zobe extend?? Does it cover the Clyde side?? If I visit the sauna!!

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

There's this thing called a train

By *idden Gem69Woman  over a year ago

north lanarkshire

"There's this thing called a train "

Not everyone lives near train stations and the way the trains have been recently your not guaranteed they will be running

By *ill dance for wineMan  over a year ago

Balloch

I’ve just checked and my car doesn’t meet it! I’m not fecking changing it

Taxis are so bad getting a lift is almost always easier.

Not too fussed about it to be honest, I don’t mind less traffic in the CC (even if my car is not allowed) but I’d never drive through anyway.

Must be a serious pain for people that need to drive in.

Hoping it leads to a serious increase in public transport around the CC. They should have free shuttle buses at night time around the inner city, and taxi ranks around the outskirts of the LEZ

By *hekaiserMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

My car doesn't meet the requirements.

Its a complete faff, one hand Council wants folks to shop in the city centre. On the other habd its slowly preventing motoristsfrom going into the city centre-on street parking has been decreasing, car parks pushed up prices and public transport is unreliable and or expensive.

The LEZ will kill the high street as folks will flock to silverburn/breahead to shop etc

My old classic is ulez exempt thankfully. Tax exempt, mot exempt. Saves way more than the extra fuel it uses and it goes up in value and any increase is tax free. It's also way way more environmentally friendly that any new car basically made of plastic these days. Old cars are the way forward for your pocket and your soul.

By *utdooryoneMan  over a year ago

Stirling

I think it's a good thing. Long term our city centres will be much nicer to be in, faster to get around for most of us and encourage a lot more walking / cycling / public transport. Getting there is going to be hard work and a big change - but I believe we have to force ourselves to do it.

Having seen a few European countries and London centre recently, it blooming works...

I've just changed from a very old car which didn't meet forthcoming regs and was rather old. I deliberately chose a car which would meet regs for a while to come.

"Emission standards for LEZs in Scotland have been set nationally - these are:

• Euro 4 for petrol vehicles

• Euro 6 for diesel vehicles

• Euro IV for heavy duty petrol vehicles such as buses/coaches and HGVs

• Euro VI for heavy duty diesel vehicles such as buses/coaches and HGVs

Vehicles which have been appropriately modified or retrofitted to meet or exceed these emission standards will also be permitted entry to LEZs in Scotland.

For practical purposes, it is generally the case that diesel engine vehicles registered after September 2015, and petrol vehicles registered from 2006 onwards will meet the required LEZ standards"

By *utdooryoneMan  over a year ago

Stirling

"My car doesn't meet the requirements.

Its a complete faff, one hand Council wants folks to shop in the city centre. On the other habd its slowly preventing motoristsfrom going into the city centre-on street parking has been decreasing, car parks pushed up prices and public transport is unreliable and or expensive.

The LEZ will kill the high street as folks will flock to silverburn/breahead to shop etc"

Or they might just catch that electric bus, or ride into town instead? I don't like riding around Glasgow because of all the cars - and know a few folk who *won't* ride, so fewer cars = more 'others'.

See parts of London.

By *assy LassieWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"There's this thing called a train

Not everyone lives near train stations and the way the trains have been recently your not guaranteed they will be running"

I would just drive part way and get the bus or train into cc. Other option is the subway. Did that the other day and it was much less stressful than avoiding bus lanes. Congestion. Overpriced parking.

If they extended subway hrs that could be a shout for taxi etc after a night out

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I am really thick, how do you know if you meet the requirements?

By *oShrinkingVioletWoman  over a year ago

the land of unicorns and fairytales

"There's this thing called a train "

That finishes at 9, 12 on a Friday to Greenock or £50 in a taxi oh and if I get the 12 train I’m then £10 in a taxi from station to my house the 9 train gets me to bottom of hill

I don’t drink I prefer to drive everywhere because of my health and my anxiety for public transport not exactly being inclusive not everyone who has mobility issues gets a blue badge

Lanarkshire

"I am really thick, how do you know if you meet the requirements? "

I'm sure there is a link on some website or other if you type glasgow low emissions zone to the googly thing

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I am really thick, how do you know if you meet the requirements?

I'm sure there is a link on some website or other if you type glasgow low emissions zone to the googly thing"

found it, thank you

Lanarkshire

"I am really thick, how do you know if you meet the requirements?

I'm sure there is a link on some website or other if you type glasgow low emissions zone to the googly thing

found it, thank you "

Welcome

By *larkandlois14Couple  over a year ago

Clydebank

The website to figure out if your car is exempt or not is totally useless. My jeep is "probably" allowed to enter. Who makes this stuff up? Oh wait it's the government

Don't drive in the city centre if your vehicle doesn't match the standards but the busiest motorway in the country passes through the city centre

Cool

glasgow

great point.

By *ane DTV/TS  over a year ago

Berlin, Germany

My car meet the current regulations, but I seldom drive into Glasgow cc, especially now the car parking charges have gone up.

I'll shop at Silverburn or Braehead, not the city centre.

As for predrinks, the location is on the edge of the LEZ, not saying exactly where, but its a few minutes walk from a non LEZ parking area.

As for those who say train - there are no trains or buses to where I live after 11pm at night.

Or for those who's minimum wage job is in the cc and starts at 6am... or those in the night time economy who have to travel in the early hours.

The LEZ, nice idea on paper a clusterfuck in application.

By *nstant_classicMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I’d check first. The London ULEZ lets you put in your reg and it tells you if it’s compliant or not, I was pleasantly surprised to find my guzzler Jag was compliant for London.

The Glasgow one pretty much offers fuck all guidance.

By *illie99TV/TS  over a year ago

Central Scotland

Park and ride sounds like the perfect solution.

Just a pity the ride bit probably isn't what I'm thinking of.

By *aptainrandyMan  over a year ago

falkirk

It’s an absolute waste of time and money, city centre is surrounded by motorways no matter which way you go. Pollution levels won’t go down any.

By *aptainrandyMan  over a year ago

falkirk

My understanding of it is-petrol cars registered after 2006 and diesel registered after September 2015 are permitted

By *ugehandsMan  over a year ago

Fife/ Newcastle

As if paying money to drive a vehicle in Glasgows or any other cities Ulez zones will improve air quality or save the planet .

It another tax that will effect the poorest the most.

Glasgow

"As if paying money to drive a vehicle in Glasgows or any other cities Ulez zones will improve air quality or save the planet."

The Glasgow zone isn’t one you can pay a charge to drive in. It’s an outright ban on cars classed as high emissions - with high fines for anyone driving one where they shouldn’t.

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

"My understanding of it is-petrol cars registered after 2006 and diesel registered after September 2015 are permitted "

That's what I got out of it as well. It's all a bit unclear though, because there are exceptions. They're apparently still working on an online tool to know for sure if your car's allowed in.

By *lasgowmale35Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Zone parimeter is from Kingston bridge, along M8 as far as High St, you can travel all the way down High st, to the Broomielaw and along Clyde st, as far as underneath the Kingston bridge and up to Charing Cross.

Anywhere inside this area is the LEZ.

Lanarkshire

That finishes at 9, 12 on a Friday to Greenock or £50 in a taxi oh and if I get the 12 train I’m then £10 in a taxi from station to my house the 9 train gets me to bottom of hill

I don’t drink I prefer to drive everywhere because of my health and my anxiety for public transport not exactly being inclusive not everyone who has mobility issues gets a blue badge "

Surely tho you don't need to get taxi etc all the way home. Park just outside the lez. Taxi back to the car.

Or am I being to compliant to regulations

"Park and ride sounds like the perfect solution.

Just a pity the ride bit probably isn't what I'm thinking of. "

Me and my ex found a park in ride in Ireland I was wondering why he kept going round the roundabout four times before I noticed the park and ride side lol once I seen it he was right in there lol was fun while

It lasted

I don’t drink I prefer to drive everywhere because of my health and my anxiety for public transport not exactly being inclusive not everyone who has mobility issues gets a blue badge

Surely tho you don't need to get taxi etc all the way home. Park just outside the lez. Taxi back to the car.

Or am I being to compliant to regulations "

Got to try and get a taxi which can be anything up to an hour on busy nights and at least a tenner then still got the half hour drive to Greenock ! Makes zero sense

My car is compliant but plenty folk with worse mobility issues than mine won’t be so lucky

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Seems very poorly planned and implemented. Little consideration for those on nmw working shifts outside public transport coverage - how many are going to have to quit CC jobs as a result? And little consideration for public safety, especially for lone women and disabled travelers.

I swear we need the people making these regs have to live them for a month without the benefit (in this case) of a compliant car to use.

It will kill the hospitality and retail industries in the CC not what is needed right now.

I can understand a levy for high emission cars but to ban altogether is crazy!

[Removed by poster at 17/03/23 00:08:02]

Drive a wee banger which I use on a night out so I can avoid the roasters in the taxi queues and on public transport. If I can't get a lift home from a night out I'll be giving the city centre a miss from now on.

Lanarkshire

Or am I being to compliant to regulations

Got to try and get a taxi which can be anything up to an hour on busy nights and at least a tenner then still got the half hour drive to Greenock ! Makes zero sense

My car is compliant but plenty folk with worse mobility issues than mine won’t be so lucky "

Yeah mine is compliant too. Unsure if exemptions for disabled drivers as I haven't looked into it any further than if I'm compliant or not and what area is covered.

My suggestion was only trying to think outside the box. I know how difficult it is getting taxis late in cc.

Just pondering on solutions to the situation

"It’s an absolute waste of time and money, city centre is surrounded by motorways no matter which way you go. Pollution levels won’t go down any. "

Exactly true .. totally ridiculous like every other eco initiative..

By *ighlander80884Man  over a year ago

Inverness

I will no longer be able to drive down from the Highlands and spend a weekend there.

And no, I can't easily get the bus

By *et another guyMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

In concept it's a good idea BUT very poorly consultation or planning. Edinburgh for example has 3 large FREE car parks thank link with public transport no such option in Glasgow.

My car is ok until the next update at least. Public transport is not fit for purpose outside limited hours a much more sensible approach would be to lift restrictions outside the hours of public transport as raised the safety concerns have to be balanced against environmental concerns. Having no public transport and not being able to use mum/dad taxi after hours will put young people in danger

Ayrshire

"I will no longer be able to drive down from the Highlands and spend a weekend there.

And no, I can't easily get the bus "

But you could drive down and park outside the city centre and then use public transport

near Glasgow

"I will no longer be able to drive down from the Highlands and spend a weekend there.

And no, I can't easily get the bus

But you could drive down and park outside the city centre and then use public transport "

Seen the price of parking near the city funny enough all areas 2 miles outside the LEZ are now all parking enforcement area that was not an accident.

Issue still getting a train after 1130 at night and well night bus from Glasgow is the wild west after midnight if you can get one

Ayrshire

I think some people want the moon on a stick

Glasgow

I would just like the Council to do this competently instead of vaguely.

I don’t mind the principle, I’d just like the regulations on what vehicles are/aren’t permitted to be a lot better thought out.

And for my efficient, low-emission, sustainably long-lived classic cars to be allowed in.

near Glasgow

Even more frustrating my work carpark is inside the LEZ and directly affects us basically if we don't show the carpark is justified the employer will remove it catch 22

"In concept it's a good idea BUT very poorly consultation or planning. Edinburgh for example has 3 large FREE car parks thank link with public transport no such option in Glasgow.

My car is ok until the next update at least. Public transport is not fit for purpose outside limited hours a much more sensible approach would be to lift restrictions outside the hours of public transport as raised the safety concerns have to be balanced against environmental concerns. Having no public transport and not being able to use mum/dad taxi after hours will put young people in danger "

And the one out musselburgh way is almost completely empty all the time ...

If you think about it park and ride has been around for a very long time but a lot of people still want to know they are in control of their journey from A to B and not relying on someone else or public transport, I know for me the anxiety of someone else being in control freaks me right out it’s so irrational but so debilitating and folk just don’t get it unless they experience this for themselves, when my ex used to borrow my car and I had to get train to Glasgow and with one train an hour if I didn’t get out work bang on time the chances of catching it were slim but I had kids to get home to and when I’d get to the station and I’ve just missed it and seeing in pull away there’s many a time I’ve ended up a hysterical heap on the floor and having to get someone to drive from Greenock into Glasgow to get me

Yet other times I can jump on a plane and happily fuck off and be cool, although last year a car went on fire in motorway and my plenty of time suddenly became last minute running around and complete panic stations so bad I had to get wheeled to gate I physically couldn’t walk the pain from the anxiety was so bad thankfully was a four hour flight so plenty of time to relax and a few painkillers before having to navigate the other side

Less people are venturing out the way they used to social anxiety has increased tenfold since covid more bodies on already crammed public transport services is going to out so many people off

By *iercedyvonneTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

This is nothing to do with emissions.

I've driven an electric car for 6 years now.

In that time there are actually fewer charge points now. Yes, fewer.

If they were wanting to reduce emissions you'd think they would try and encourage electric cars.

It's all stick and no carrot.

near Glasgow

"This is nothing to do with emissions.

I've driven an electric car for 6 years now.

In that time there are actually fewer charge points now. Yes, fewer.

If they were wanting to reduce emissions you'd think they would try and encourage electric cars.

It's all stick and no carrot."

Agree the infrastructure is appalling and poorly managed needs one common app or simple card or phone payment option to charge.

For me the cost is an issue I can't afford the huge purchase price and used is a lottery with battery life and price is scary.

Glasgow

I'm fully behind reducing emissions.

You just have to sit on the hills around Glasgow on a sunny day and see the brown haze over the city.

Public transport is atrocious and they are literally doing nothing about it. It is actually worse than it was a few years ago.

If they bothered to sort public transport then people would use it.

Just even extending the hours of service would be an easy start.

For example, my teenage kids were at a concert at the O2 Academy the other day. No underground service when the concert finished but the station is literally next door.

No joined up thinking.

Glasgow

"

Agree the infrastructure is appalling and poorly managed needs one common app or simple card or phone payment option to charge.

For me the cost is an issue I can't afford the huge purchase price and used is a lottery with battery life and price is scary."

Actually, in Scotland, most charge points are under the Chargeplace Scotland scheme - just one card/app. It is great but sadly I am seeing that fewer new chargers are part of the scheme.

Agreed about price but it is improving all the time. Battery life isn't an issue these days. That was with early EVs.

Glasgow

Yvonne’s right that carrot would work better than stick. What we need is brilliant public transport that’s cheap for everyone to use.

But that costs money.

What would also be nice (but only of use to the relatively wealthy) is universal electric charging standards and points readily available all over the streets (I’d retrofit them into lamp-posts if it were me).

But that costs money.

What we get is the cheapest option, which happens to also be the one the Government are happy to release funding for: putting up signs and cameras to enforce a fine for higher emission vehicles, plus a bunch of cycle lanes.

By *ast RolloMan  over a year ago

glasgow west

ulez will kill the city centre all ready retailers are moving out to other places , yes it might look nice but when the pubs and eateries close and are not there it is a ghost own, as for getting home after a night out that is bad enough now let alone when they start all this crap

Ayrshire

Are there really that many people driving to the city centre when they're going to the pub or out for food?

"Are there really that many people driving to the city centre when they're going to the pub or out for food?"

Yeah I find it harder to get a space on the evenings and weekends than during the day a lot of the time

Ayrshire

"Are there really that many people driving to the city centre when they're going to the pub or out for food?

Yeah I find it harder to get a space on the evenings and weekends than during the day a lot of the time "

Who's doing all the drinking then?

near Glasgow

Public transport has never recovered from the covid cutbacks as says underground shuts early even the 02 arena served by dedicated rail link can't sync trains with events or have capacity.

I have to cut short nights in the town to get last train as taxi is a small mortgage due to zone charging.

How do they expect pubs and clubs to function if no pick ups allowed no forethought. Yet the biggest pollutants trucks and buses are exempt.

Principle is fine but needs refined too early to impose I think.

For the record I would support park n ride if there was a service to match opening times in the town. I effectively do that just now but limits how early I can go in for example

Glasgow

"Who's doing all the drinking then?"

You can fit more than one person in a car.

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

The transport infrastructure is shocking out here in the sticks. I think Glasgow's is pretty good but if it stops and 11pmish then they are only encouraging cars into the city centre. If I go to Glasgow for the day it would cost me about £35 to get there and back because I have to get a taxi after the train.

We need a proper integrated transport system with the technology to pay for a journey using all forms qfor public transport.

But for it to work properly we need the staff and ensure their safety is at the forefront.

The park n ride in Edinburgh seems better as you can leave a car overnight and up to 3 days without paying for it.

Glasgow

"Are there really that many people driving to the city centre when they're going to the pub or out for food?"

Yes. I don't live near a train station or on a bus route so would need to drive anyway, at least to the station. Local taxis are expensive and suck.

It's much more pleasant and easier just driving all the way. I'd like to use public transport but it simply isn't good enough.

Their response isn't to improve public transport - it is to make driving worse until public transport is the better option.

If both options are terrible then I'll just go to Braehead or the like for my shopping and to the West End for nights out. Driving of course.

Yes. Can't recall the last time I actually drank alcohol in town. Always take the car at night.

By *enni White OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

Having looked I to the LEZ more since I posted it seems its a gradual change planned over long term.

First phase sees only the most polluting vehicle being band. This will narrow down and additional phases come in in the future.

near Glasgow

Yes my car will be banned next revision effectively only be EVs mine is euro 6

By *arkyp_321Man  over a year ago

East Kilbride

"Yvonne’s right that carrot would work better than stick. What we need is brilliant public transport that’s cheap for everyone to use.

But that costs money.

What would also be nice (but only of use to the relatively wealthy) is universal electric charging standards and points readily available all over the streets (I’d retrofit them into lamp-posts if it were me).

But that costs money.

What we get is the cheapest option, which happens to also be the one the Government are happy to release funding for: putting up signs and cameras to enforce a fine for higher emission vehicles, plus a bunch of cycle lanes."

Cycle lanes…clean,cheap, efficient, safe transport …what’s not to like ?

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Yvonne’s right that carrot would work better than stick. What we need is brilliant public transport that’s cheap for everyone to use.

But that costs money.

But that costs money.

What we get is the cheapest option, which happens to also be the one the Government are happy to release funding for: putting up signs and cameras to enforce a fine for higher emission vehicles, plus a bunch of cycle lanes.

Cycle lanes…clean,cheap, efficient, safe transport …what’s not to like ?"

Not a way to get home after a night out though, it’s illegal to cycle if inebriated also.

Public transport needs to have extended hours for sure and more capacity. A real lack as has been said of joined up thinking. As a lone woman it’s far from ideal. Shuttle buses would be a great addition. Maybe not even needed frequently between say 11pm and 3am, aim for bulk of them to be running at pub and club tipping out times.

Lots of folk capable of enjoying a great night out without an alcoholic drink it’s not a necessity - though can be fun.

I totally agree this is going to kill the businesses in the city centre which are already struggling which is extremely foolish and short sighted from an economic point of _iew.

Extra public transport would also create jobs.

East Kilbride

But that costs money.

But that costs money.

Cycle lanes…clean,cheap, efficient, safe transport …what’s not to like ?

Not a way to get home after a night out though, it’s illegal to cycle if inebriated also.

Public transport needs to have extended hours for sure and more capacity. A real lack as has been said of joined up thinking. As a lone woman it’s far from ideal. Shuttle buses would be a great addition. Maybe not even needed frequently between say 11pm and 3am, aim for bulk of them to be running at pub and club tipping out times.

Lots of folk capable of enjoying a great night out without an alcoholic drink it’s not a necessity - though can be fun.

I totally agree this is going to kill the businesses in the city centre which are already struggling which is extremely foolish and short sighted from an economic point of _iew.

Extra public transport would also create jobs. "

Agreed about cycle lanes and night time economy, but was thrown into the convo as something negative, when it’s a positive contribution to transport strategy …

Glasgow

"Cycle lanes…clean,cheap, efficient, safe transport …what’s not to like ?"

I’ve nothing against them as part of a joined-up transport strategy. (But we don’t have a joined-up transport strategy because only the cheapest bits are getting funded.)

Cycle lanes are great for fit, healthy people travelling short distances.

Technically I could follow cycle lanes all the way from home to work, but that would take me three hours each way, in all the Scottish weather … so to hell with that idea.

What did people do before they had cars…

East Kilbride

"Cycle lanes…clean,cheap, efficient, safe transport …what’s not to like ?

I’ve nothing against them as part of a joined-up transport strategy. (But we don’t have a joined-up transport strategy because only the cheapest bits are getting funded.)

Cycle lanes are great for fit, healthy people travelling short distances.

Technically I could follow cycle lanes all the way from home to work, but that would take me three hours each way, in all the Scottish weather … so to hell with that idea."

Why are they for fit and healthy ? That’s nonsense ! So because it’s not suitable for your commute it’s not appropriate for anyone else ? Do you know what the average car journey length is ?

Glasgow

Talk about jumping to conclusions …

I didn’t say they’re no good for anyone. I said they’re not a solution for me. I already said I think cycling infrastructure is a good thing as part of a broader transport strategy.

Not everything is self-centred all the time.

East Kilbride

"Talk about jumping to conclusions …

I didn’t say they’re no good for anyone. I said they’re not a solution for me. I already said I think cycling infrastructure is a good thing as part of a broader transport strategy.

Not everything is self-centred all the time."

Yep, it’s good to have a range of transport options, cheap buses, trains and cycle infra …I’m pleased that you think they are part of the solution for all (not just young and fit) ….no self centre here !

Glasgow

My comment about fit and healthy was about not everybody being able to ride a bike. Cycling isn’t suitable for all. Plenty of people have mental or physical reasons (even just old age or poor health) for not being able to get on a bike, or go far on one.

East Kilbride

"My comment about fit and healthy was about not everybody being able to ride a bike. Cycling isn’t suitable for all. Plenty of people have mental or physical reasons (even just old age or poor health) for not being able to get on a bike, or go far on one."

Like not all can drive a car ? I know folk who can’t walk far but can cycle for miles and is essential for their mobility and mental health…e-bikes are a game changer for many.

By *iCurious4WomenMan  over a year ago

Inverclyde

"Just another money making scheme and to limit our movement...... If the worlds climate was falling apart then mortgage companies wouldn't be loaning money for 35years etc..... A load of bollocks "

Well said.

Glasgow LEZ zone

The LEZ zone will use the M8 as boundaries. If you come off the M8 east at the Royal infirmary the LEZ zone is on your right. Castle st, High St and Saltmarket will make the East boundary.

Note you can drive down those roads.

West bound traffic: (coming over the Kingston Bridge from the southside of Glasgow)

Bothwell St off ramp LEZ zone

St George’s road exit( underneath Charing x) is outside the LEZ zone.

What does it mean for you.

The cameras are on 24 hours a day and 365 days of the year.

It’s an automatic £30 fine. Which increases to £60 after 14 days.

I hope this helps

Ayrshire

"What did people do before they had cars…"

Got annoyed about something else curtailing their social life

My main concern is the safety aspect when travelling home from a night out.

There was a phone in on BBC Scotland a few weeks ago when they were discussing sexual harassment of women on public transport. If this can happen on a busy train in rush hour and people do nothing, do you really think women will be any safer on a bus or train at midnight?

By *ebastian-MarnieCouple  over a year ago

paisiey

As well as taxis there’s building companies that may not be able to afford to upgrade their vans to carry out work in the city centre.

Also what about all the mechanical plant machinery on building sites in the city centre, do they have to be compliant?

Ayrshire

"My main concern is the safety aspect when travelling home from a night out.

There was a phone in on BBC Scotland a few weeks ago when they were discussing sexual harassment of women on public transport. If this can happen on a busy train in rush hour and people do nothing, do you really think women will be any safer on a bus or train at midnight?"

Whilst I get your concern, do you perhaps think you're letting fear limit how you live your life?

The majority of women are likely using public transport without issue

More pollution is caused by Glasgow City centre one way system and Bus and taxi only routes. Your forced to take a tour of the whole city centre to travel a couple of blocks.

For example try getting to George Square from the Radisson on Argyle Street.

"My main concern is the safety aspect when travelling home from a night out.

There was a phone in on BBC Scotland a few weeks ago when they were discussing sexual harassment of women on public transport. If this can happen on a busy train in rush hour and people do nothing, do you really think women will be any safer on a bus or train at midnight?

Whilst I get your concern, do you perhaps think you're letting fear limit how you live your life?

The majority of women are likely using public transport without issue "

No. I don't think I am.

Begining to wonder if my choice to buy a house outside if hlasgow is a wise one

Berlin, Germany

Hidden away in the small print...

"A scheme surcharge means that the penalty amount will double with each subsequent breach of the rules detected in the same zone."

near Glasgow

"Hidden away in the small print...

"A scheme surcharge means that the penalty amount will double with each subsequent breach of the rules detected in the same zone.""

Yep now the money making element is exposed.

To be clear I support the concept not the blunt implementation without viable alternatives being subject to proper consultation and agreement.

Think we all agree public transport needs to improve to support the night life. As said it would be logical to suspend LEZ when trains and wider bus network stops this would reduce the peak hours traffic, but allow the much reduced traffic to serve after midnight eh taxi and private cars etc.

In addition Glasgow needs to identify park and ride area to make it viable.

There needs to be a stepped transition not a full ban until infrastructure has caught up

By *llblueMan  over a year ago

Irvine

Not everyone lives near train stations and the way the trains have been recently your not guaranteed they will be running"

near Glasgow

Not everyone lives near train stations and the way the trains have been recently your not guaranteed they will be running "

Plus after 1130 trains no good to me so limits a night out.

Yea im ok and tend to drive on Glasgow nights out due to never wanting to stop and having to get a train at 2315. At that time swinging comes to life hehe

By *andy_FraserTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Being that I'm not from the Glasgow area, I wasn't aware of this, till it was mentioned here.

The only real question I have is, how did the Edinburgh zonal stuff get rejected 10 or so years ago, but this hasn't, or is it purely cause they've used the environmental reasoning?

East Kilbride

"Being that I'm not from the Glasgow area, I wasn't aware of this, till it was mentioned here.

The only real question I have is, how did the Edinburgh zonal stuff get rejected 10 or so years ago, but this hasn't, or is it purely cause they've used the environmental reasoning?"

It’s primarily a health issue, particulates from exhaust and tyre dust are known to be dangerous…obv bad for environment too, but that’s secondary.

By *ancy38Woman  over a year ago

galway

"As if paying money to drive a vehicle in Glasgows or any other cities Ulez zones will improve air quality or save the planet.

The Glasgow zone isn’t one you can pay a charge to drive in. It’s an outright ban on cars classed as high emissions - with high fines for anyone driving one where they shouldn’t."

What about eu cars. And how are the fines enforced?

By *rgoodnbadMan  over a year ago

greenock

"What did people do before they had cars…"

Probably frequented the many pubs and clubs in their home towns that are now no more.

By *ntonio24888Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Best way to use an Uber lol

By *itonthesideWoman  over a year ago

tenerife

"What did people do before they had cars…

Probably frequented the many pubs and clubs in their home towns that are now no more. "

While i totally agree with all the comments about the safety of people, lack of transport and what about the flipping people that work city centre during unsociable hours (its not all about social life)

This does put an interesting spin on it … will it recreate a market for local pubs and restaurants? Taking business away from big city centre chains but back into small businesses? Not overnight obviously … but look at the local cafes and markets that popped up when everyone started working from home so it is true that the market has acway of filling the gaps

By *urtie SanchezMan  over a year ago

glasgow

Another scam to fleece drivers. How do they keep the bad air out if its windy

It’s about local emissions

Glasgow

"It’s about local emissions "

Unfortunately it's not, it's about control..... Wait a few years and you will be unable to fly places

By *urtie SanchezMan  over a year ago

glasgow

"It’s about local emissions

Unfortunately it's not, it's about control..... Wait a few years and you will be unable to fly places "

Goverments run like any other business and have to male more profit each year so bring out crap like this

Unfortunately it's not, it's about control..... Wait a few years and you will be unable to fly places "

That’ll be why…the Govt has just reduced the levies on local flights.

By *awhide69Man  over a year ago

ayr

Nice MOT tester tells you your car meets all government guidelines . Why are the local government then imposing LEZ areas around the country . Fleece the car owners they are an easy target. Time to stand up against this daylight robbery .

My car is OK but I can understand why they are doing it but just means that people will think twice about going to Glasgow and will look at other areas to shop, meet or play.

By *otbeefandonionsCouple  over a year ago

Bathgate

"Being that I'm not from the Glasgow area, I wasn't aware of this, till it was mentioned here.

The only real question I have is, how did the Edinburgh zonal stuff get rejected 10 or so years ago, but this hasn't, or is it purely cause they've used the environmental reasoning"

Edinburgh lez enforcement starts June 2024

By *inkyropecoupleCouple  over a year ago

carluke

My vehicle will not be compliant and here’s my dilemma.

I don’t consider the number of miles I do each year to be excessive (less than 8k) my vehicle is 12 years old and will see me through the rest of my lifetime having only done 30 odd thousand so far. It’s also practical for my needs.

If I changed it to a compliant vehicle, ignoring the ridiculous cost to do so, I wonder if the emissions to build a compliant vehicle (and recycle my old one) would be more or less than the emissions I would create using my current vehicle?

You don’t need to buy a new car and don’t need to scrap your old one…

Glasgow

"If I changed it to a compliant vehicle, ignoring the ridiculous cost to do so, I wonder if the emissions to build a compliant vehicle (and recycle my old one) would be more or less than the emissions I would create using my current vehicle?"

Low emission zones are only about one thing: improving the air quality in a city centre. This one’s about Glasgow City Council trying make Glasgow city centre a nicer/safer place to breathe.

Your theoretical new car wouldn’t be built (nor your old one recycled) in the middle of Glasgow. So that’s not a consideration.

Glasgow

"

Low emission zones are only about one thing: improving the air quality in a city centre. This one’s about Glasgow City Council trying make Glasgow city centre a nicer/safer place to breathe.

"

Sadly, it's nothing to do with that. If it were then why are there fewer EV charge points than there were 6 years ago? Cost isn't an excuse as there has been lots of funding available.

Why have they introduced costs for charging that are greater than what it costs at home?

Why is public transport so awful with no attempts being made to improve it?

Why are the most polluting cars (classic ones) exempt?

Air quality would get better naturally as people replace their older vehicles. (16% of all cars sold last month were EVs and 20% hybrid for example). With some incentives to help it along, an LEZ isn't necessary.

Glasgow

"Sadly, it's nothing to do with that."

No, you’re wrong there. It *is* to do with that. It’s just a pretty crap way of trying to achieve it.

By *ay40Man  over a year ago

Kinross

I drive a fully compliant Euro 6 Toyota Hilux 2.8

Just checked and it is compliant for all UK cities

wasnt Glasgow voted the 3rd Dirtiest City in the World.....

lol and they want clean air in those filthy streets.

By *inkyropecoupleCouple  over a year ago

carluke

A good point which then turns the theoretical into more of an ethical choice.

Ie. Would I be happy to pollute other areas to make a city centre’s air cleaner?

By *alia2000Man  over a year ago

Gran canaria

Just wait until 15 minute neighbourhoods kick & a western style CBDC 'chinese social credit system' & carbon allowance takes hold

Ah the conspiracy theories are here

Glasgow

"Ah the conspiracy theories are here "

I nearly got a full house there. Just need something about the great reset and I can call bingo.

Glasgow

Unfortunately it's not, it's about control..... Wait a few years and you will be unable to fly places

That’ll be why…the Govt has just reduced the levies on local flights. "

Aye just now..... But wait, planes will be part of it soon enough...... They have made electric cars too expensive for normal folk to buy and then make it so normal folk can't travel by car to these areas because we arent electric.... Only a matter of time

Sorry in this conspiracy who is it that’s making the electric cars too expensive? Is it the Government who are offering incentives to purchase them and install home chargers?

Are you sure it’s not the raw material cost because people seem to think they need huge cars with even greater range pushing up the prices? Combined with the sheer demand from a whole host of industries for cobalt and lithium? Or how about that manufacturers enjoy greater margins on their BEVs?

Reality is personal transport has been heavily subsidised by the tax payer for decades while public transport has been neglected. Ironic that so much of our public transport was privatised, meanwhile car manufacturers continued to receive massive amounts of state funding by the back door.

By *o and peepCouple  over a year ago

falkirk

Are classic cars exempt though I see nothing saying that in the Glasgow blurb

London yes but Glasgow I don’t think so

I also don’t think there are fewer charge points certainly not in my experience

As for price to charge why shouldn’t it be more expensive it’s there for your convenience and costs money to run

Gran canaria

What's a conspiracy theory? You don't even know the definition of the term lol

So government legalisation is a conspiracy theory? You maybe want to email the government & inform them as it's on their own .gov.com website ya loon

Gran canaria

"Ah the conspiracy theories are here

I nearly got a full house there. Just need something about the great reset and I can call bingo."

The Great reset is a conspiracy theory? So Matt Hancock, Boris, world leaders promoting it are all conspiracy theorists? ??

Gran canaria

Please define a conspiracy theory for me?

Without resorting to alt right sources, please provide evidence.

We used to have “15 minute cities”, the car and large shopping developments destroyed them.

Gran canaria

"

Sadly, it's nothing to do with that. If it were then why are there fewer EV charge points than there were 6 years ago? Cost isn't an excuse as there has been lots of funding available.

Why have they introduced costs for charging that are greater than what it costs at home?

Why is public transport so awful with no attempts being made to improve it?

Why are the most polluting cars (classic ones) exempt?

Air quality would get better naturally as people replace their older vehicles. (16% of all cars sold last month were EVs and 20% hybrid for example). With some incentives to help it along, an LEZ isn't necessary."

There's no point trying to educate them you would be as well talking to a brick wall..

I get the feeling with this lot of it's not bottle fed to them on the BBC then it doesn't exist

Yes. Love it.

Glasgow

"Yes. Love it. "

Bingo! Nice. It’s ages since I won a prize.

To be honest, I also get me opinion…I mean news from Laurence Fox. Being divorced by Billie Piper just adds legitimacy

Gran canaria

"Without resorting to alt right sources, please provide evidence.

We used to have “15 minute cities”, the car and large shopping developments destroyed them. "

What's "alt right?" What Marxist dogmatic are you getting your information from?

I don't think you know anything about the concept of 15 minute cities & what it really entails.

How will you feel when your Bank card doesn't work outside a certain district or post code? How will you feel when you're unable to visit your dying mother who may live in a different town cause you can't afford the penalty charge to leave your designs living zone?

https://twitter.com/KalsElaine/status/1645862384899350528?t=PvsGvo00Ie2Xm8SlDqj4HQ&s=09

Please. Do continue.

Glasgow

"I don't think you know anything about the concept of 15 minute cities & what it really entails."

Oh, the irony.

Glasgow

"Are classic cars exempt though I see nothing saying that in the Glasgow blurb"

It's quite clear on the website - cars over 30 years old are exempt

"

Glasgow I don’t think so

I also don’t think there are fewer charge points certainly not in my experience"

As an EV driver for 6 years now, in Glasgow CC this is absolutely the case as one point got taken out in a car crash and was never repaired.

"

As for price to charge why shouldn’t it be more expensive it’s there for your convenience and costs money to run "

Yes, but going from free to expensive in one move isn't exactly encouraging EV usage and therefore less pollution.

I noted on Friday that there was only one EV parked where I used to park. People now either not going into town or using the multi storeys instead so council losing out on on-street parking £

perth

I drive my wife through to the bus station for a bus down south , coupke times a year. Can’t do it any more!! They tell me to use the p&r outside the city…. Halbeathand ferrytoll!! Miles away and no buses run from them that get to Glasgow bwfore 08:00.

Not sure how we will do it next time .

falkirk

"It's quite clear on the website - cars over 30 years old are exempt"

Try typing any older car into the search all the ones I done came back as not exempt even 1 from the 70s !

1 damaged chargepoint not being replaced is hardly the same as saying less chargepoints

We are in falkirk and 10 more came online this week

As for the charges we got a good run of free charging I personally got 25k free miles it can't stay free forever!

If you have driven evs for 6 years you have had many years free

If you’re coming from Perth, Shields Road subway is just off the motorway. Walk up from Buchanan Street.

Berlin, Germany

"I drive my wife through to the bus station for a bus down south , coupke times a year. Can’t do it any more!! They tell me to use the p&r outside the city…. Halbeathand ferrytoll!! Miles away and no buses run from them that get to Glasgow bwfore 08:00.

Not sure how we will do it next time . "

Park at Cowcaddens Underground - get tube to Buchanan street or an Uber.

perth

Thought ciwcaddens was inside the zone .

Berlin, Germany

"Thought ciwcaddens was inside the zone . "

Sorry, meant St Georges X.

Blonde moment

By *aucySue52Woman  over a year ago

glasgow

This is a concern for me too although I drive an older car and cannot afford a new car .

I did the calculator online and it says my car is exempt hoping that to be the case as I drive in the evenings as I live rurally where there is no buses after 11 and prefer to drive .

It does seem to be a money making scheme

Glasgow

Good to see that the official vehicle checker is now online. (Nothing like leaving it ’til the last minute, eh?)

Bad to see that it contradicts the original statements about which EU emissions categories they were going to base it on.

My cars that were originally meant to be permitted are now not. My cars that were originally meant to be barred are now permitted. Bizarre.

By *ieryfireMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"This is a concern for me too although I drive an older car and cannot afford a new car .

I did the calculator online and it says my car is exempt hoping that to be the case as I drive in the evenings as I live rurally where there is no buses after 11 and prefer to drive .

It does seem to be a money making scheme "

It is money… and by encouraging people to buy newer cars/electric perhaps, generates more money and pushing unreliable public transportation = money. Oh, it’ll expand and who knows engulf all of Glasgow. I’ll say it, give it a year or 2, if it generates millions, guaranteed that they’ll expand the window.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

Covid has already cut down the number of people coming into town. My office had 600 people in it and now about 20-30 work in the office on a daily basis. We all work from home. Looking at the car park under the office, most of the building is the same. 8 floors and probably only 100 or so people in the building. The LEZ will probably stop a few more from driving in.

It’s already affecting local businesses as fewer people buy lunch or shop at lunch times.

I’ll still drive in for the pre-drinks socials as long as my car meets the requirements. The changes will affect theatres as well as pubs, restaurants and clubs.

If you have a car that doesn’t comply with the new regulations, but you have a blue badge, this won’t affect you

By *4Fun11Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Doesn’t effect my day to day car but I won’t be able to take my van in, not that I ever take my van into town anyway.

East Kilbride

"Without resorting to alt right sources, please provide evidence.

We used to have “15 minute cities”, the car and large shopping developments destroyed them.

What's "alt right?" What Marxist dogmatic are you getting your information from?

I don't think you know anything about the concept of 15 minute cities & what it really entails.

How will you feel when your Bank card doesn't work outside a certain district or post code? How will you feel when you're unable to visit your dying mother who may live in a different town cause you can't afford the penalty charge to leave your designs living zone?

https://twitter.com/KalsElaine/status/1645862384899350528?t=PvsGvo00Ie2Xm8SlDqj4HQ&s=09"

Jeez, conspiracy theorists are out !!!!

Kinross

"With the zone coming into effect 1st June 23, how will this effect you?

I normally take my car on a night out in town as I don't drink. Makes me.feel safe. But I don't own or cant afford an exempt vehicle.

I also park close on pre drinks nights before heading to CJs. Won't be able to after 1st June."

Hopefully all the shops, retail, hospitality in these areas will shut down and councils will then realise how effective this really is.

I have a Toyota Hilux 2.8 diesel 4x4 which can drive freely through these zones as it is Euro 6.2 but I will boycott these zones anyway, F*ck them.

By *ubbyandHisHotwifeCouple  over a year ago

Glasgowish

well i’ve learned something new today, when i go to gigs in town mainly why i go in, my pal has a blue badge

we’re cooking with gas - fuck you LEZ bastards i’ll roar my guzzling diesel jeep around town still

East Kilbride

You know these measures aren’t put in place to piss people off….they are actually to improve the health of those who live and work in the area. It’s remarkably arrogant and selfish to see some of the responses (ie. I’ve got a big polluting diesel to damage other people’s health) …not a good look.

Glasgow

"You know these measures aren’t put in place to piss people off….they are actually to improve the health of those who live and work in the area."

Except they aren't.

If they wanted this then they would encourage EV usage or improve public transport.

People just won't go into town and that won't help those who live or work in town one bit.

falkirk

"You know these measures aren’t put in place to piss people off….they are actually to improve the health of those who live and work in the area. It’s remarkably arrogant and selfish to see some of the responses (ie. I’ve got a big polluting diesel to damage other people’s health) …not a good look."

Problem is though people feel they are being forced to comply with a rule they don't think we need

If they were charging people a daily rate like in London then it would be a choice and those who want to comply can but it's not it's forced compliance I have 2 compliant vehicles but I rarely drive in any of Scotlands cities

East Kilbride

Folk can use compliant vehicles (inc ev), and/or public transport, cycle, walk, taxi …... you do not/ should not have a ‘right’ to cause excessive pollution impacting people’s health.

"You know these measures aren’t put in place to piss people off….they are actually to improve the health of those who live and work in the area.

Except they aren't.

If they wanted this then they would encourage EV usage or improve public transport.

People just won't go into town and that won't help those who live or work in town one bit."

Glasgow Council cannot improve public transport as they are not allowed to. It’s privatised remember. They aren’t also here to lobby for the car industry.

What they are here for is addressing excessive pollution, especially using solutions that can be implemented quickly.

By *owboy BebopMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I do understand the new to get polluting vehicles off the road, but wonder how green it really is to scrap usable older non compliant vehicles with new vehicles.

From what I understand on EVs batteries are only really good for around 7 years, and as the battery is 50% cost of the new car, I suspect that many of these vehicles will be also scrapped.

I do agree with the point above about a daily reasonable charge ( will help weekend shoppers, gig goers etc) but this seems not punative for the council.

I fear that this will drive many more people away from Glasgow CC, with more businesses shutting down, more job losses and less rates for the council to invest in services.

Feels very much as the whole thing is being driven by very myopic greens, who are holding the coalition strings.

Apologies for length of this message.

Glasgowish

"I do understand the new to get polluting vehicles off the road, but wonder how green it really is to scrap usable older non compliant vehicles with new vehicles.

From what I understand on EVs batteries are only really good for around 7 years, and as the battery is 50% cost of the new car, I suspect that many of these vehicles will be also scrapped.

I do agree with the point above about a daily reasonable charge ( will help weekend shoppers, gig goers etc) but this seems not punative for the council.

I fear that this will drive many more people away from Glasgow CC, with more businesses shutting down, more job losses and less rates for the council to invest in services.

Feels very much as the whole thing is being driven by very myopic greens, who are holding the coalition strings.

Apologies for length of this message."

You are right tho

I go into the city centre rarely prob less than 5-10 times a year normally i would have had no issue paying a congestion charge as a one off but to effectively ban me is ridiculous

I could change my car for something smaller and more “PC” but since i live quite rurally i need my 4x4 it’s used a lot in winter plus i have a brood of kids so i need 7 seats so to “upgrade” my car i need to spend at least 30k extra that i don’t have nor need right now my XC90 is great

Public transport, i would need to drive over 10 miles to access a train station, to then get into town but if after 11pm i can’t get back to my car, so i mainly go in for gigs meaning i miss the end of them

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

Bulk of the charges will be passed on to businesses in the city center.

Know quite a few trades that travel into London and just put the congestion charges onto the bull over the year

Kinross

"You know these measures aren’t put in place to piss people off….they are actually to improve the health of those who live and work in the area. It’s remarkably arrogant and selfish to see some of the responses (ie. I’ve got a big polluting diesel to damage other people’s health) …not a good look."

you need to educate yourself on those big polluting diesels

actually some of the 2.8, 3 litre engines have the cleanest emission's you can get. a large diesel which is rated Euro 6.2 is very clean on emissions hence the 6.2 rating.

Kinross

"well i’ve learned something new today, when i go to gigs in town mainly why i go in, my pal has a blue badge

we’re cooking with gas - fuck you LEZ bastards i’ll roar my guzzling diesel jeep around town still "

The Blue Badge holder receives a form to complete stating a max of 3 registrations of vehicles that can be exempt.

You cant just stick the blue badge on the dashboard and drive through. The registrations have to be added on the form.

what 4x4 do you drive? your sounding better all the time, a country girl who loves country music and drives a 4x4 perfect

perth

My emission are so low I only pay£20 but it’s 2012?so not exempt .

Usually run wife to bus station but can’t any more. Need to get bus from halbeath but none that get ne to Glasgow fir 07:30 .

Only thing I can do is try to get the same bus at Hamilton bus station . Then the cafe in bus station and multi story car park lose my revenue

Glasgow

Yeah, I have a car in the ultra low emissions tax band which is banned from the zone. Awkward.

Glasgowish

"well i’ve learned something new today, when i go to gigs in town mainly why i go in, my pal has a blue badge

we’re cooking with gas - fuck you LEZ bastards i’ll roar my guzzling diesel jeep around town still

The Blue Badge holder receives a form to complete stating a max of 3 registrations of vehicles that can be exempt.

You cant just stick the blue badge on the dashboard and drive through. The registrations have to be added on the form.

what 4x4 do you drive? your sounding better all the time, a country girl who loves country music and drives a 4x4 perfect "

My friends aware and i’m prob the only car that will reg her BB

due to a stroke she can’t drive herself so in her chauffeur lol

currently a XC90 joys of rural life

Glasgowish

"Yeah, I have a car in the ultra low emissions tax band which is banned from the zone. Awkward."

and this shows the lunacy in the whole thing

By *clayairMan  over a year ago

ayrshire/glasgow

It’s all about the money and don’t let anyone kid you on about clean air

Glasgow

"and this shows the lunacy in the whole thing "

I’m all for the idea of it. I just think the implementation is shit.

East Kilbride

"You know these measures aren’t put in place to piss people off….they are actually to improve the health of those who live and work in the area. It’s remarkably arrogant and selfish to see some of the responses (ie. I’ve got a big polluting diesel to damage other people’s health) …not a good look.

you need to educate yourself on those big polluting diesels

actually some of the 2.8, 3 litre engines have the cleanest emission's you can get. a large diesel which is rated Euro 6.2 is very clean on emissions hence the 6.2 rating."

——

You kind of give yourself away from the following post you made ! Diesels emit some of the most harmful toxins which embed deep within the lungs …try reading the research in this.

East Kilbride

"I do understand the new to get polluting vehicles off the road, but wonder how green it really is to scrap usable older non compliant vehicles with new vehicles.

Apologies for length of this message.

You are right tho

I go into the city centre rarely prob less than 5-10 times a year normally i would have had no issue paying a congestion charge as a one off but to effectively ban me is ridiculous

I could change my car for something smaller and more “PC” but since i live quite rurally i need my 4x4 it’s used a lot in winter plus i have a brood of kids so i need 7 seats so to “upgrade” my car i need to spend at least 30k extra that i don’t have nor need right now my XC90 is great

Public transport, i would need to drive over 10 miles to access a train station, to then get into town but if after 11pm i can’t get back to my car, so i mainly go in for gigs meaning i miss the end of them "

Hadn’t realised it was ‘PC’ to ensure we protect people’s health ?

glasgow

shame one of the busiest strech of motorways is beside it,meh.

falkirk

From what I understand on EVs batteries are only really good for around 7 years, and as the battery is 50% cost of the new car, I suspect that many of these vehicles will be also scrapped.."

Ev batteries have an 8 year warranty and I have 1 that's 11 years old still works perfectly reality is ev batteries will last the life of the vehicle in most cases just like engines and gearboxes last the life of the vehicle in most cases

Well this is what happens when you put crackpots in government

By *iCurious4WomenMan 41 weeks ago

Inverclyde

Members of the public in London and other places in the UK are removing these cameras. Has this been done in Glasgow yet? The council is a disgrace for implementing this. They obviously didn't come up with the idea. Similar things are being done across the world, at the same time. There is clearly a global agenda at play.

By *et another guyMan 41 weeks ago

near Glasgow

I still think the concept is reasonable but the lack of infrastructure and support is shocking and the proposed removal of night buses is further evidence this policy has not been fully researched and resourced prior to implementation

By (user no longer on site) 41 weeks ago

"I still think the concept is reasonable but the lack of infrastructure and support is shocking and the proposed removal of night buses is further evidence this policy has not been fully researched and resourced prior to implementation "
totally agree

By *uietbloke67Man 41 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"I still think the concept is reasonable but the lack of infrastructure and support is shocking and the proposed removal of night buses is further evidence this policy has not been fully researched and resourced prior to implementation "

When will the infrastructure and the perfect timing be there though, time is of the essence and air quality affects us all.

I get there will be lovers, however the biggest winners will be the air quality in the city for reside to and visitors.

By (user no longer on site) 40 weeks ago

I do a lot of infrastructure legal planning and land owner negotiations for the utilities and I can promise you the electric car thing will cripple the grid. They are way way behind in upgrades and finding more faults in supply cabling due to the increasing demand. It very definitely is the latest corporate driven society conditioning fad .. recycling batteries just isn't happening, there's a raft of pollution problems at the end of electric car use that many so called environmentally concerned people haven't a clue about, but as they are sheep they follow the mantra pedalled out by social media. Charging electric cars needs to be paid for at a higher rate to pay for the grid infrastructure, as it's them that need it and are causing the need for accelerated rebuilds on the transmission network. The ban on diesel and petrol engines will be renaiged on that much is certain. There's a whole host of industries that will require diesel for decades and decades as there's nothing even remotely close to being as practical or energy intense storage as diesel. The gov needs to step in and continue to explore in the north sea for the sake of our economy and everybodys living costs. The planet will be fine.

[Removed by poster at 31/07/23 08:36:11]

"I do a lot of infrastructure legal planning and land owner negotiations for the utilities and I can promise you the electric car thing will cripple the grid. They are way way behind in upgrades and finding more faults in supply cabling due to the increasing demand. It very definitely is the latest corporate driven society conditioning fad .. recycling batteries just isn't happening, there's a raft of pollution problems at the end of electric car use that many so called environmentally concerned people haven't a clue about, but as they are sheep they follow the mantra pedalled out by social media. Charging electric cars needs to be paid for at a higher rate to pay for the grid infrastructure, as it's them that need it and are causing the need for accelerated rebuilds on the transmission network. The ban on diesel and petrol engines will be renaiged on that much is certain. There's a whole host of industries that will require diesel for decades and decades as there's nothing even remotely close to being as practical or energy intense storage as diesel. The gov needs to step in and continue to explore in the north sea for the sake of our economy and everybodys living costs. The planet will be fine. "

"I do a lot of infrastructure legal planning and land owner negotiations for the utilities and I can promise you the electric car thing will cripple the grid. They are way way behind in upgrades and finding more faults in supply cabling due to the increasing demand. It very definitely is the latest corporate driven society conditioning fad .. recycling batteries just isn't happening, there's a raft of pollution problems at the end of electric car use that many so called environmentally concerned people haven't a clue about, but as they are sheep they follow the mantra pedalled out by social media. Charging electric cars needs to be paid for at a higher rate to pay for the grid infrastructure, as it's them that need it and are causing the need for accelerated rebuilds on the transmission network. The ban on diesel and petrol engines will be renaiged on that much is certain. There's a whole host of industries that will require diesel for decades and decades as there's nothing even remotely close to being as practical or energy intense storage as diesel. The gov needs to step in and continue to explore in the north sea for the sake of our economy and everybodys living costs. The planet will be fine. "

Need to reopen the coal mines too. Think how many jobs we would get back.