FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Getting used to life after education

Getting used to life after education

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm finishing my honours degree in 4 months, nervous about life after 7 years of primary school, 6 of high school and 4 of uni. The job search is on but wondering how other people found life after leaving education?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *autious CoupleCouple  over a year ago

home

"I'm finishing my honours degree in 4 months, nervous about life after 7 years of primary school, 6 of high school and 4 of uni. The job search is on but wondering how other people found life after leaving education?"

It was that long ago we forget

By *uitar_antiheroMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I'm still in education, 11 years of uni & counting...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I'm still in education, 11 years of uni & counting..."
11 years ! What u training to be lol

"I'm finishing my honours degree in 4 months, nervous about life after 7 years of primary school, 6 of high school and 4 of uni. The job search is on but wondering how other people found life after leaving education?"

Totally in the same place as you there haha.

I'm just politely ignoring the fact that I'll soon have to be a grown up...

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

My sons 25 and still at uni but final few months now just hope all his hard work pays off for him too ..but looking like he'll be going abroad for work

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

From looking at jobs, looks like going abroad can be a sensible option! Personally, I'll take any experience in industry that I can get!

Glasgow

"I'm still in education, 11 years of uni & counting...11 years ! What u training to be lol "

2 honours degrees & now onto a PhD haha. It was never the plan but hey ho. Post grad courses can be good if you're struggling for work

Good luck to you , hopefully you will achieve your goals . Then start paying taxes etc lol

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"I'm still in education, 11 years of uni & counting...11 years ! What u training to be lol

2 honours degrees & now onto a PhD haha. It was never the plan but hey ho. Post grad courses can be good if you're struggling for work"

yeah my son has his honours degree now doing his phd

the best education you can get isn't from school or uni but from living life in the real world itself

By *olly Gentle GiantMan  over a year ago

Glenrothes

If you can shag and shit - you'll be fine.

Well, in business its all about screw the customer and shit on the competition!

By *rallvalCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"the best education you can get isn't from school or uni but from living life in the real world itself"

..... unless you want to be a doctor.

the real world is nothing like what you hope it to be unless you put the effort in to make it!

A degree is only a tool for showing you can learn at a higher level than A levels.... why would you do 2 or 3 degrees or phds, what ever they are? surely do one, show you have a higher learning ability then get a job?

Glasgow

"A degree is only a tool for showing you can learn at a higher level than A levels.... why would you do 2 or 3 degrees or phds, what ever they are? surely do one, show you have a higher learning ability then get a job?"

I did one, finished & there were no jobs in that sector. Ended up taking a job with promise of progression. That never happened so I made the decision to retrain at uni. Finished my 2nd degree during the recession, jobs were thin on the ground at best. I never EVER considered a PhD till the uni called me up with an offer. So I took it on.

Just saying, I've not spent all this time at uni just for the hell of it.

What do you want to be when you finally leave school? lol

Fuck me i just looked, your 31??? pmsl you could retire soon without ever working if you play your cards right lol

Glasgow

"Fuck me i just looked, your 31??? pmsl you could retire soon without ever working if you play your cards right lol "

Hahaha. Well I've done a wee bit of teaching at the uni so perhaps lecturing. Or a job in research. Though if work came up in what I did my last degree in I'd love to go do that.

& to the OP, I hope you get a job related to your studies. All the best mate

"What do you want to be when you finally leave school? lol"

A professor?! :-/

A professor isnt a job, its a title ......

My understanding was you get that title if you teach long enough at a uni... :-/ and do all the bits that that job demands.....

Or is it that they hand out that title to any Tom Dick Harry?

Yup hand it out to lots of people. You dont need to teach to be a professor,if you teach, your a teacher. What does a professor do that a teacher doesnt? Do you need 2 degrees to be a prof??

In much of the world, including most Commonwealth nations (such as the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand) and northern Europe professor is reserved only for the most senior academics at a university, typically a department chair, or an awarded chair specifically bestowed recognizing an individual at a university or similar institution. A professor is a highly accomplished and recognized academic, and the title is awarded only after decades of scholarly work and/or practise.....

Professors are qualified experts who generally perform the following:

manage the teaching, research and publications in their department (in countries where a professor is head of a department),

conduct lectures and seminars in their specialty (i.e., they "profess"), such as the fields of mathematics, science, humanities, social sciences, education, literature, music or the applied fields of engineering, design, medicine, law, or business;

perform advanced research in their fields.

provide pro bono community service, including consulting functions (such as advising government and nonprofit organizations);

teach campus-based or online courses adopting instructional technology;

mentor young aspiring academics (graduate students);

conduct administrative or managerial functions, usually at a high level (e.g. deans, heads of department, librarians, etc.).

Glasgow

"In much of the world, including most Commonwealth nations (such as the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand) and northern Europe professor is reserved only for the most senior academics at a university, typically a department chair, or an awarded chair specifically bestowed recognizing an individual at a university or similar institution. A professor is a highly accomplished and recognized academic, and the title is awarded only after decades of scholarly work and/or practise.....

Professors are qualified experts who generally perform the following:

manage the teaching, research and publications in their department (in countries where a professor is head of a department),

conduct lectures and seminars in their specialty (i.e., they "profess"), such as the fields of mathematics, science, humanities, social sciences, education, literature, music or the applied fields of engineering, design, medicine, law, or business;

perform advanced research in their fields.

provide pro bono community service, including consulting functions (such as advising government and nonprofit organizations);

teach campus-based or online courses adopting instructional technology;

mentor young aspiring academics (graduate students);

conduct administrative or managerial functions, usually at a high level (e.g. deans, heads of department, librarians, etc.).

"

The question is....would that get me laid??

Probably :-/ lol

Like you, i did wikipedia, i didnt copy and paste though. you forgot to copy the bit about professional sports people who are non academics but can get the title of honoury professional. Nor the titles you can buy online.Oh it also said they should have things published...That is not a teaching post, thats a publishing post.

So any way, what do you want to be a professor in??

Glasgow

Good to know.

Sorry this thread seems to have been hijacked! Back to the OP now.

Back to school for you sunny lol

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

As the brother of someone who spent so long at uni, EVERYONE knew him by his first name (even the car park guy lol), I can tell you he found it very daunting coming to the end of his phd as well. But he was lucky enough to be asked to lecture in the states for 3 months - that was 10 years ago and he now has a wife, 2 kids and a great job in Maryland working at the uni on a joint project with NASA! Not bad for my jumped up twerp of a little brother lol

Don't give up hope if you struggle, there are plenty of opportunities out there for you. Just take them when they present themselves to you. It may not be what you really wanted but it could lead to something you'd never even dreamed of!

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

"My sons 25 and still at uni but final few months now just hope all his hard work pays off for him too ..but looking like he'll be going abroad for work "

It's hard to wave him off, but he knows you love him and I'm sure he loves you so you just have to pack some pics in his case if he goes

Besides, if he goes somewhere nice and hot, free holidays! Lol b

» Add a new message to this topic