FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Jumped a red light !

Jumped a red light !

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *owboy Bebop OP   Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yesterday, jumped a red light (at 3 way traffic lights) into path of oncoming vehicle, tried to blame driver of the vehicle, who braked to avoid me, cut up a further car and continued on like king of the road. I also have no insurance in case of accident and pay no road tax .

How many have already guessed I'm a cyclist !

This happened to me yesterday ! Do we think that cyclists should have insurance or possibly have penalty points put on driving license's ( if they hold one) ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yesterday, jumped a red light (at 3 way traffic lights) into path of oncoming vehicle, tried to blame driver of the vehicle, who braked to avoid me, cut up a further car and continued on like king of the road. I also have no insurance in case of accident and pay no road tax .

How many have already guessed I'm a cyclist !

This happened to me yesterday ! Do we think that cyclists should have insurance or possibly have penalty points put on driving license's ( if they hold one) ?"

Just maybe, they don't pay road tax as it was abolished in 1937!

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan  over a year ago

Glasgow West

Cyclists use the roads, they should be subject to the same requirements as motor vehicle users.

Before any cyclists say that they also own a car/motorbike, well, if I owned a car and a motorbike/ second car, I'd have to pay VED on both, and extra insurance on any subsequent vehicle.

If a cyclist causes an accident, and damages my car, and I get injured, who pays my compensation, and my repair costs, without resort to legal action?

Oh, and if they want cycle lanes, they should cough up for them too.

"Cyclists use the roads, they should be subject to the same requirements as motor vehicle users.

Before any cyclists say that they also own a car/motorbike, well, if I owned a car and a motorbike/ second car, I'd have to pay VED on both, and extra insurance on any subsequent vehicle.

If a cyclist causes an accident, and damages my car, and I get injured, who pays my compensation, and my repair costs, without resort to legal action?

Oh, and if they want cycle lanes, they should cough up for them too."

I'm sorry, but you seem to be under the mis-apprehension that vehicle excise duty pays for the roads! It doesn't. The up keep of the roads comes from the heneral taxation of population, which includes cyclists and indeed pedestrians. The VED is based on vehicles emissions! A bike has no emissions hence no VED.

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

The current system is that, if a cyclist has home insurance and is liable, then their home insurance can be claimed on.

My parked car was hit by a cyclist causing £1800 of damage but, as he had no home insurance, mine took a hit.

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

Edit: my motor insurance

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

"Cyclists use the roads, they should be subject to the same requirements as motor vehicle users.

Oh, and if they want cycle lanes, they should cough up for them too.

I'm sorry, but you seem to be under the mis-apprehension that vehicle excise duty pays for the roads! It doesn't. The up keep of the roads comes from the heneral taxation of population, which includes cyclists and indeed pedestrians. The VED is based on vehicles emissions! A bike has no emissions hence no VED. "

In actual fact, if everyone stopped driving cars the country would be bankrupt in a couple of years thanks to the loss of income from VED, fuel duty, VAT, insurance tax and loss of vat from Part sales too. A bit like if we banned smoking and drinking. The amount spent on roads is less than VED raises so that doesn't fly either

As a professional driver I think there's enough room for everyone in the road if we are nice to each other and courteous then there should be no problem

I have jumped many a red lights but only when there is no other traffic on the road

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Cyclists dont pay road tax as it isnt motorised transport if using a car or other motor vehicle you are using a public highway therefore need to obey the rules. our system is setup that pedestrians have all the rights not the motorist like many a driver seems to presume

Had 2 in one day just join the road from junction on my left, no hesitation or stop, just pulled out onto road.

Bit like a pedestrian walking along the pavement, sees the pedestrian - crossing and just steps out, its heart stopping stuff.

even some predestination demands I must be on the road why

when I'm on a cycle path

he gave me abuse for it totally pathetic on some people shows no respect for others

any cyclist who jumps a red light deserves to be splattered all over the road would they do it in a car I don't think so, and now some government wanker is trying to have a law where any cyclist hit by a car it automatically becomes the fault of the car driver can see a good few riots starting if that's the law can you imagine the fun if a cyclist hits a car then says oh its ok your to blame lol lol

By *ussymufferMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I have seen police on there bikes going along the pavement if any other adult done that on a bike they would have something to say and hand out a fixed fine

By *ane DTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow & Surrounds

Like drivers, there are good and bad cyclists.

Had terrifying near miss last November.

10pm pitch black, streetlights failed.

Driving towards on ramp for Clydeside expressway.

Out of side road 5yrds away appears cyclist. Just got breaks on in time. Cyclist on black bike, no lights, black lycra and a black f'n balaclava. Not a care in the world. Only thing with colour was his ipod earphones!

I perish to think what would have happend if I'd hit him.

As a keen cyclist and road user (I pay the top rate of VED before anyone starts), I see far too many arseholes in their little tin boxes thinking they're invulnerable.

I don't jump red lights (except maybe at pedestrian crossings if it's properly clear), but I've had far too many road users cut me and my mates up, try to run us off the road, even throw objects at us. It's fun when they don't realise there's traffic ahead and a 6'2 guy on a bike that will do over 30 on the flat no problem is bearing down on them to have a chat.

Treat a cyclist the same as you would a motorbike or moped, or even another car and we'll all get on fine. On the flip side, I've had plenty of cars wait patiently behind us on a road where it's a little narrow, and I'll happily wave them through when I get that extra bit of visibility on the road.

Cycles are classed as pedestrian transport....

I get so angry when they jump lights into my or anyone elses path when driving. If they use the road they should follow the Highway Code. They should have to sit a test of sorts as we car drivers do before we drive. There should be insurance for cyclists like we have to pay motor insurance. There should be a tax so they can get cycle lanes like we as car drivers are meant to get improved roads.

This would ensure the safety of them and make them more responsible for their actions. Because see if God forbid I hit one that jumped a red light into my path I would be going after them for damages against my car and any injury they cause me by trying to brake to avoid them.

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan  over a year ago

Glasgow West

"I don't jump red lights (except maybe at pedestrian crossings if it's properly clear

"

Try that in your car, and enjoy the 3 points & £60 fine. If you shouldn't do it in your car, don't do it on your bike.

"I don't jump red lights (except maybe at pedestrian crossings if it's properly clear

Try that in your car, and enjoy the 3 points & £60 fine. If you shouldn't do it in your car, don't do it on your bike."

one set of rules for everyone!

Normally at traffic lights/pedestrian lights, that's when cyclists become pedestrians and walk across the junction then get back on their bikes when they over the junction, rather than wait and be a road user. Rips my knitting.

every 1 as a rule

but if they break it well then

By *ussman1Man  over a year ago

Paisley

Folks,have look at The road Traffic Act, Cyclists can be charged and taken to court.

"Folks,have look at The road Traffic Act, Cyclists can be charged and taken to court.

"

if they break the law bust most of them don't

Absolutely.. you shouldn't cross the red light even at a pedestrian crossing, the only reason I do it is to make it easier for the cars behind me to get going. If there's someone crossing, I wait just like everyone else has to.

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen cars going through the crossing when there's no one there...

"Normally at traffic lights/pedestrian lights, that's when cyclists become pedestrians and walk across the junction then get back on their bikes when they over the junction, rather than wait and be a road user. Rips my knitting."

Don't knit whilst driving then!

"Folks,have look at The road Traffic Act, Cyclists can be charged and taken to court.

if they break the law bust most of them don't "

Thats a lie lol

By *ikerbob1957Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

It is an offence for a cyclist ro run a red light and it is a non-endorsable ticket. There is also a charge of dangerous cycling and, I believe, d*unk in charge of a bicycle.

Dont get me wrong, nowt but admiration for men, women brave enough to jump on a bike on our busy roads.

There in lies the problem, the roads get busy!!

Laws and by-laws, im no caring too much about that, its the specifics of everyone not injuring, crashing, pissing each other off etc.

Dont use mbile phones while driving?

Cyclists, people in cars do, and if some numb nuts texting while your minding your own business, at best expect a close shave.

All im saying is, ffs, dont compound the problem by Not Stopping at junctions, not using cycle paths when theres one for you!!

I got knocked off my motorbike, no great speed, toodling thru town, leathers, boots, helmet, impact nearly peirced my thigh on handlebar end, helmet protected my head certainly, still had a feckin bruised sore head !! Lycra and polystirene on top of yer heed? That you bullet proof then? Nope, not at all, so look and dont assume we see you.

» Add a new message to this topic