FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Arranging Socials: what are the obstacles?

Arranging Socials: what are the obstacles?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've been lurking for some time and have noticed something of a pattern.

People seem really keen to have socials - some even go as far as to arrange them - but 9 times out of 10 something goes wrong, no-one turns up or someone notifies the venue that "some degenerate types" are on their way and they get barred.

Are people just very unlucky, or is there some simple solutions for arranging informal socials? Anyone got any tips?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"I've been lurking for some time and have noticed something of a pattern.

People seem really keen to have socials - some even go as far as to arrange them - but 9 times out of 10 something goes wrong, no-one turns up or someone notifies the venue

"

9/10 no idea where your figures are coming from but that certainly isn't the case.

Yes there have been a few sabotaged nights but more have gone ahead than been cancelled or sabotaged and I've never known any of the organisers to arrange the socials and no one has turned up.

Although I think there have been a few trying to arrange drinks that haven't happend.

"

9/10 no idea where your figures are coming from but that certainly isn't the case.

"

Well, I wasn't using a sociologically approved methodology, it was just an impression gleaned from some of the posts.

"

Well, I wasn't using a sociologically approved methodology, it was just an impression gleaned from some of the posts. "

As said most socials do go ahead.

Yes I've seen a few advertise drinks and a lot of them never happen not really sure why tho

By *ky HookMan  over a year ago

Dundee

You want a simple free Social that people can attend? Organise a drinks night.

No outlay, post it aprox 4-6 weeks in advance as 'Town' Drinks Night.

Pick a venue that has corners you can occupy as a group, finding suitable venue means doing a bit of pub visiting on Fri & Sat nights, shame that eh!!!

Pick a pub youd like to drink in if no one does show.

Open your messages cause some people wont post on the thread but will mail you direct.

Keep venue to yourself until the morning of the Social

Mail everyone who has said they are going (dont mail those who originally said yes then cancelled before hand) with venue.

Turn up early so you can book the corner you want.

If you have any funny fealings about folk who have asked or know them and know they could cause hassle me I wouldnt give them the venue but that would be your choice.

Good Luck organising your first event, hope I can make it and bope Im not classed as a troublemaker and am allowed

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Defo wouldnt say 9 /10

Some great socials have went ahead over the years,

Organised few many years ago where one was doomed when someone called the venue/put it down to jealousy , seems to be more these days getting doomed or threatened and will stick to my instincts ,tread on someone's toes on here and they willl get you (some just hate others having fun )Some also think if another has a sucessful night it will ruin there top dog status.

They will be caught one day

I love to know who these top dog people are.

Can't speak for any of the other organisers but I organise socials because I enjoy doing them,I enjoy seeing people coming together and having a good time and making new friends simple as that.

Is topdog .topcats canine cousin

I would say all organisers enjoy them hence why they organise them

"I would say all organisers enjoy them hence why they organise them "
Exactly!!

"Is topdog .topcats canine cousin "
yip nothing but a big pussy

"You want a simple free Social that people can attend? Organise a drinks night.

Pick a venue that has corners you can occupy as a group, finding suitable venue means doing a bit of pub visiting on Fri & Sat nights, shame that eh!!!

Open your messages cause some people wont post on the thread but will mail you direct.

Mail everyone who has said they are going (dont mail those who originally said yes then cancelled before hand) with venue.

If you have any funny fealings about folk who have asked or know them and know they could cause hassle me I wouldnt give them the venue but that would be your choice.

Good Luck organising your first event, hope I can make it and bope Im not classed as a troublemaker and am allowed "

This sounds like the beginning of a plan - not sure if I'm the person to take it on, but I'm starting to think I should think about it! lol

"You want a simple free Social that people can attend? Organise a drinks night.

If you have any funny fealings about folk who have asked or know them and know they could cause hassle me I wouldnt give them to the venue but that would be your choice.

Good Luck organising your first event, hope I can make it and bope Im not classed as a troublemaker and am allowed

This sounds like the beginning of a plan - not sure if I'm the person to take it on, but I'm starting to think I should think about it! lol "

Go for it you can only try sure many who want to attend will xx

Having recently just taken on our first social for Christmas, its both exciting and nerve racking at the same time. Its an opportunity to meet new people, but more than that its about getting people together , some newer members , or others in with the foundations of fab lol, to mix and allow themselves to be seen in a public place possibly showing they are genuine and become verified whilst having an enjoyable night out.

For us its not about us being popular or top dog its about taking pleasure from seeing friends and future friends having a good night . A time to have a laugh with like minded people without the worry of what might go wrong.

Id like to hope that the people who've sabotaged nights out in the past or tried to, have given it some reflection and realised their behaviors' were selfish, childish and wrong.

Personally speaking its not about spoiling OUR night out , more its the time ,effort and expense people have gone to to prepare for these nights. Time off work , outfits, hotels, babysitters etc to end up it being pulled or ruined. That's the saddest part of it, and i for one could never be that spiteful to anyone no matter whether i got on with them or not.

Good luck if you go ahead with it and discretion is the biggest key i'd say . If your gut tells you no then stick with it , its not often wrong

"Having recently just taken on our first social for Christmas, its both exciting and nerve racking at the same time. Its an opportunity to meet new people, but more than that its about getting people together , some newer members , or others in with the foundations of fab lol, to mix and allow themselves to be seen in a public place possibly showing they are genuine and become verified whilst having an enjoyable night out.

For us its not about us being popular or top dog its about taking pleasure from seeing friends and future friends having a good night . A time to have a laugh with like minded people without the worry of what might go wrong.

Id like to hope that the people who've sabotaged nights out in the past or tried to, have given it some reflection and realised their behaviors' were selfish, childish and wrong.

Personally speaking its not about spoiling OUR night out , more its the time ,effort and expense people have gone to to prepare for these nights. Time off work , outfits, hotels, babysitters etc to end up it being pulled or ruined. That's the saddest part of it, and i for one could never be that spiteful to anyone no matter whether i got on with them or not.

Good luck if you go ahead with it and discretion is the biggest key i'd say . If your gut tells you no then stick with it , its not often wrong

"

Totally agree with all you've said,if people have issues with an organiser then be big enough in taking it up with them and not spoil for innocent people attending and having gone to a lot of expense.

Also with regards to sabotaged socials be 100% with proof as innocent people have gotten the blame in the past so if there is no hard fact proof don't spread it around xx

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Have noticed a few threads started about socials....

They simply dont go ahead due to bad organisation or simply lack of interest!

The Glasgow, Ayr and Stirling ones seem to do ok....

By *rox and ammoCouple  over a year ago

north ayrshire

Just been to Ayrshire social was a great night due to the hard work put in by organization of event nothing to get caught at a load of people who think the same way having

A night out

By *aucy MikeCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Been to a couple in Edinburgh and met some great people at them. Sx

» Add a new message to this topic