FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > fire alarms

fire alarms

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

i was in our office today for a meeting and the powers that be decided on a fire drill.alarm goes so we all go outside. all over and inside we go.2 minutes later alarm goes again (false alarm) but we went out again as always treat them as real thing. back iside we go. then off it goes again so outside again. but funny thing but seriuos thing i noticed.only about 1 third of the office staff bothered to go out the third time has anyone ever noticed how complaicent folk are when it comes to things like this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

It was Mr Me that posted the above

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yep, ppl are very complacent with repeat alarms. They'd rather ignore what could be a real one rather than go stand in the cold for a few minutes while the building gets checked.

As a Facilities Manager of a large building we used to run fire tests twice yearly.

Now I informed the Fire people conducting the tests to inform me ALONE as to when they were coming in to run the evac test.

Previously he would inform the Chief Exec who in turn would inform his PA (The office gossip)

When the alarm went off it was "Its only a test" scenario.

Brings me to the big question If it wasn't a test when do they finally evacuate.

The actual answer to that question on a Fire Assessment questionairre is simple

when their arse is on fire.

People can be so fuckin stupid.

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I'm a fire warden in our building, and trust me, nobody ignores the alarm!

Having said that, after two drills in 10 minutes, I can understand the "cry wolf" mentality.

By *eatherWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

WHEN A FIRE ALARM GOES OFF GET OUT IF ITS A DRILL GET OUT IF ITS NOT GET OUT OR ELSE HOPE YER INSURANCE POLICIES ARE PAID UP FUNERALS ARE EXPENSIVE

I don't much mind dickheads risking their own lives by ignoring what might or might not be a false alarm. These kind of people should be taken out of the gene pool.

What I object to is when the fireys turn up to a genuine call and the headcount comes up short. Then they have to put their own lives at greater risk than if the building is known to be fully evacuated

I don't much mind dickheads risking their own lives by ignoring what might or might not be a false alarm. These kind of people should be taken out of the gene pool.

What I object to is when the fireys turn up to a genuine call and the headcount comes up short. Then they have to put their own lives at greater risk than if the building is known to be fully evacuated

By *oDownEasyMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

I have no problem with fire alarm tests;a nice break from work,EXCEPT when it is pissing down with rain!Im sure our safety people took pleasure in testing them then,although they swear they didnt!

Shame people Im on the phone to dont appreciate being cut off, but tough on them!Years ago I did have a client who would not shut up & let me go, despite a (real) bomb warning taking place.

"WHEN A FIRE ALARM GOES OFF GET OUT IF ITS A DRILL GET OUT IF ITS NOT GET OUT OR ELSE HOPE YER INSURANCE POLICIES ARE PAID UP FUNERALS ARE EXPENSIVE "

Well said!!!

all our group did get out. and i dont care how unpopular it might make me . will be dropping an e.mail to health and safety in the morning about it.

» Add a new message to this topic