FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > ThunderVest for Dogs

ThunderVest for Dogs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andy_Fraser OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Has anyone tried one of these with their dog?

I know results will vary from dog to dog, and if they're scared of loud noises, then that's still likely to set them off.

But my dog is basically petrified to do anything now once it gets dark. He thinks that darkness means loud noises.

I basically don't wanna spend £35 if it's not gonna work in any way.

Thank you in advance.

Mandy

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I havent tried one on my dogs but have you introduced your dog to a DAP diffuser (Dog Appeasing Pheromone)? I used to have a collie who was petrified of the noise of fireworks, gunshots, bees buzzing etc and using one of these made a huge difference to him. I believe you can now buy DAP collars as well which may help with your dogs anxieties outside the house.

Using the diffuser inside 24/7 then use the collar outside to keep anxieties at bay.

One thing to try before you buy the vest thing is (and im saying this not knowing size of your dog) get a tshirt or jumper from a charity shop that will be a snug fit on your dog and try that on the dog. It will need some adapting probably to 'fit' but will give you some indication if the dog would tolerate wearing something restrictive.

Bit too late to use the DAP,tbh. Thunder shirts can work well in a lot of dogs. For seriously bad cases this close to the events, consider Sileo from the vet.

"Bit too late to use the DAP,tbh. Thunder shirts can work well in a lot of dogs. For seriously bad cases this close to the events, consider Sileo from the vet."

Its never too late to use the DAP as the dogs anxieties wont magically disappear the minute the 5th of November is over if its associating its fear with darkness.

By *arymore1Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I have heard good reports, my friend has one for her very nervous Shepherd, works a treat, fortunately my boy was brought up near a Country estate, fireworks sound like popppers to him

[Removed by poster at 31/10/16 16:31:19]

"Bit too late to use the DAP,tbh. Thunder shirts can work well in a lot of dogs. For seriously bad cases this close to the events, consider Sileo from the vet.

Its never too late to use the DAP as the dogs anxieties wont magically disappear the minute the 5th of November is over if its associating its fear with darkness. "

DAP has its place in therapy but it won't settle the majority of dogs suffering from noise phobia this close to fireworks night. It should be used alongside therapy.

Edinburgh

So I bought a "ThunderShirt" I got the brand names messed up.

He was a bit reluctant to go outside when I was home, but I got him out. While he was out I laid the ThunderShirt down ,and he sniffed it and seemed fine with it. I put it on him, and right away he seemed to relax. He's been back outside of his own accord, so it's now just a case of waiting to see how he is over the course of the night.

Mandy

We tried a Thunder Shirt on our Collie a couple of years ago after two weeks of fireworks left her a wreck and virtually house bound. Unfortunately it made no difference at all to her. Now at this time of the year we visit the vet for canine Valium it helps to calm her but she is still clearly terrified. The best remedy we found is to invite my nearly deaf father on who watches the TV at full volume LOL

give your dog a treat any time there's a bang and PLAY with your dog,,take their mind of it,

dogs love play its fun,,dog love fun.

good luck,x

Edinburgh

Well there's been nags going on for the last 45 minutes, and although he sees the occasional flash, he's really not bothered by them.

Only worrying thing is he's been rather placid and dopey since the ThunderShirt was put on him. I think it sorta makes the dogs a bit submissive.

Mandy

By *ugs and JunkCouple  over a year ago

Bellshill

"Has anyone tried one of these with their dog?

I know results will vary from dog to dog, and if they're scared of loud noises, then that's still likely to set them off.

But my dog is basically petrified to do anything now once it gets dark. He thinks that darkness means loud noises.

I basically don't wanna spend £35 if it's not gonna work in any way.

Thank you in advance.

Mandy"

I've tried it plus the dap collar, vet prescribed sedatives & calming sprays. None of them worked for me.

The adaptil plug calms him a bit but other than that I just need to sit with him & make sure he has places to hide.

Sorry it's not more positive. Hate this time of year

» Add a new message to this topic