FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Scotish money

Scotish money

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ikeC81 OP   Man  over a year ago

harrow

I am an Englishman that has been North of the border twice in last 2 months, the first time I got some scotish notes from my bank in Glasgow. When I got back I had to go back to bank to cash them as hardly anywhere would take them

So this time I took some English notes with me, and also asked when paying for something in cash which wasn't often, I said could you give me the change in English notes if you have them.

Now this topic came up at cjs last night, and it does appear to be a xenophobic attidute of shopkeepers in the south not accepting Scotish money; it was interesting that every place I spent English cash in Glasgow was more than welcome to accept it

Anyway what's other people's thoughts on it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We'll take anyone's money pal

By *earded blossomCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Everywhere will take the notes, it's wither or not you tell them properly to take them, if you hand it over with a face of fear then they'll use any old excuse to refuse Scottish money, I have a guy a grand last week for something, he made one comment and graciously took the cash.... as I said it's down to the person handing over the cash. Legal Stirling tender

John

By *andCforfunCouple  over a year ago

Inverness

Argue the toss because they will take them

Glasgow

It's legal tender they can't refuse

K x

By *estless nativeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

Yeah you are correct that it could be looked on as xenophobia and in many cases you would be right.

But its worth bearing in mind that Scottish bank notes do not need to be accepted anywhere (even in Scotland) except by the bank who issued them.

near Glasgow

"It's legal tender they can't refuse

K x"

The phrase "legal tender" refers specificly to currency deemed acceptable to a court for the repayment of debts, it has nothing to do with the currency you use to pay for goods and services.

Glasgow

Sorry legal currency... didn't realise this was a nitpicking thread

K x

near Glasgow

"Sorry legal currency... didn't realise this was a nitpicking thread

K x"

View it as nitpicking if you wish, then again you could also view it in the way it was intended, to provide information on the legal standing of Scottish banknotes.

Anyhoo have a nice day.

By *lue4youCouple  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

K x"

Nah, nit-picking would be pointing out the missing "t" in Scottish, and god knows I do love my tea

This gets my goat lol. It's legal tender full stop. Make offer to pay with valid currency. If refused walk out with goods. That always works.

Glasgow

"This gets my goat lol. It's legal tender full stop. Make offer to pay with valid currency. If refused walk out with goods. That always works. "

Done this down south before... they could hardly take the petrol back out my car

K x

Glasgow

K x

Nah, nit-picking would be pointing out the missing "t" in Scottish, and god knows I do love my tea "

need better emojis

K x

K x

Nah, nit-picking would be pointing out the missing "t" in Scottish, and god knows I do love my tea "

Ohh did someone mention tea

By *andy_FraserTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh

It comes from the issue that was rife 15-20 years ago where the majority of fake £20 notes were Bank of Scotland ones. The whole attitude has just got really bad since.

I once read an article that stated that English notes are in fact not legal tender in Scotland. There's an article on Scotbanks about it.

I once got caught out years ago when in London with over £400 in Scottish note, and the only place that would take them was a Spar near my hotel. Luckily the manager was nice enough to take them all and switch for English notes.

Mandy

If it's pounds sterling then it's valid anywhere in the UK. I've had this problem in England and I just took my perfectly good hard earned money elsewhere, and told them that. A newsagent 3 shops down accepted it no problem so it was their loss.

Also, after handing over a Scottish tenner to a shopkeeper in Blackpool. He informed me that it was only worth £8 in England. I swiped ot back out of his hand as quick as a big cat and told him politely that was bullshit. I did the same as before, took it to his neighbour and had no problem. The look on his face was priceless as he protested he was joking but the damage was done.

By *hav02Man  over a year ago

Glasgow/London

The phrase "I'll hav ye knoo it's legal tender pal" is purely for English shopkeepers refusing Scottish money .

We were in Torquay last week and I'd taken a load of our money out the bank before we left.

We had no issues at all.

One girl in McD's had to check with a few folk, but was promptly told by the manager that as long as it says sterling, it's legal tender.

And in the bar at the complex, I had an interesting discussion with the woman serving me about Scottish notes. She loves them but doesn't see them very often x

By *rionycdTV/TS  over a year ago

East Kilbride

Legal Position

The legal position with regard to Scottish Banknotes is as follows:

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament.  However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland.  In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.

HM Treasury is responsible for defining which notes have ‘legal tender’ status within the United Kingdom and the following extract from Bank of England’s website may help to clarify what is meant by “legal tender” and how little practical meaning the phrase has in everyday transactions.

“The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.”

(Ref.www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm.)

It is also interesting to note that, if the strict rules governing legal tender were to be observed in a transaction, then the exact amount due would need to be tendered since no change can be demanded.

The majority of banknotes circulating in Scotland are issued by Scottish banks.  Scottish notes circulate and are accepted quite freely in Scotland and, for the most part, they are also readily accepted in England & Wales, although branches of Scottish banks there may not issue them.  However, you should not rely absolutely on Scottish notes being accepted outside Scotland and this is particularly true when travelling abroad.  Our general advice would be not to carry large amounts of banknotes of any description and to make use of facilities such as travellers’ cheques, credit/debit cards and ATM cards for access to funds whilst abroad.

For guidelines regarding the "legal tender" status of coins please follow the link for the Royal Mint.

By *hav02Man  over a year ago

Glasgow/London

If you read bank of England website, only royal mint coins are "legal tender" in Scotland. Not even Scottish notes are "legal tender" in Scotland because they are issued by retail banks, not central banks. ie. It's as good as monopoly money

It also states that acceptance of notes is at the discretion between the two parties concerned...

By *oolsGoldxWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

K x

View it as nitpicking if you wish, then again you could also view it in the way it was intended, to provide information on the legal standing of Scottish banknotes.

Anyhoo have a nice day."

Ffs someone's crabbit

By *rofguyukMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Lived in Northern Ireland for a few years and it's the same situation with their currency being issued by different banks. I had a woman in a bank in Surrey somewhere tell me that they weren't a "burea de change" when tried to lodge them rather than argue the toss every time I went to spend them.

I complained to the manager and she obviously had to take them.

Northern Ireland like Scotland will take anyone's money!

When I go south to work I always take a Scottish tenner. Morrisons in WSM is the best so far for knocking it back....then I get a wee chuckle out of being offended ...

I also do the same with NI money in Scotland ....gives me a wee chuckle lol

By *ussymufferMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I have had problems in Weston super mare shops tesco is the biggest offenders I like to fill the car with diesel then see whst they say

"If you read bank of England website, only royal mint coins are "legal tender" in Scotland. Not even Scottish notes are "legal tender" in Scotland because they are issued by retail banks, not central banks. ie. It's as good as monopoly money

It also states that acceptance of notes is at the discretion between the two parties concerned... "

This is why any bank that issues notes (other than bank of england) must hold a deposit with bank of england that covers the value of every note they have in circulation or in atms

By *ortland51Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I've heard that if Scotland becomes independent, some English shopkeepers won't even accept our Chip & Pin or contactless payments...

Was in blackpool a week and they took my scots cash no fuss. Tourists places the exception?

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Just because is says I Promise To Pay The Bearer x amount on the bank note doesn't mean a shop MUST accept it.

It's up to the individual seller what he/she accepts.

The I Promise bit was introduced for the Bank of England . . they are the only ones bound by that promise.

You could pay in sheep , hazelnuts or potatoes if you wish as long as the recipient agrees.

By *ighlander80884Man  over a year ago

Inverness

They are not as used to handling Scottish notes and are more afraid they may be a fake, I have heard of some places that if the staff accept a note and its fake they foot the bill!

Like many others, I always deliberately take Scottish bikes south as I love to argue, especially if I've just eaten or used something, generally they will accept it no matter what then.

By *anbrCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"This gets my goat lol. It's legal tender full stop. Make offer to pay with valid currency. If refused walk out with goods. That always works. "

This! Have done this before and always had it accepted!

Use Scottish notes when in England to pay for taxis, if they don't accept then thanks for the free trip

Sometimes like to be really cruel and find some northern Irish notes for the giggle

By *istress Pillow PrincessWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

i can't seem to spend my monopoly money anywhere

By *ittle DancerWoman  over a year ago

Leslie, Glenrothes

I've never had a problem spending Scottish notes in England.

By *ifes journeyCouple  over a year ago

scotland

"I've never had a problem spending Scottish notes in England. "

Nor me and I work in England (live in Scotland)

(Mr)

By *alkirkbairnMan  over a year ago

Grangemouth

Happened to me in London at a bar next to the prem Inn I was at. Round of drinks came to 9.97 or something like that. Handed over a tenner and said keep the pence change. Bar guy kicked up a fuss about the note but I just ignored and took my drinks. Within minutes the guy appeared at the table saying I still had to pay, waving my note about like it's diseased.

Luckily some tables next to me joined the cause and said if anything he owed me money lol led to the manager coming over who very reluctantly accepted it just to end the conflict.

You are incorrect, Scottish notes are not legal tender in England, only notes issued by the Bank of England are legal UK tender, this is why when you go abroad the exchange rate for Scottish notes is less than English ones.

Scottish notes are issued by various banks for example Bank of Scotland notes, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale. They are only legal in Scotland but most places in a England will still accept them.

Never had a note refused down south although I have had to press my case a couple of times.

In one branch of Tesco the supervisor grudgingly took my Scottish £20 muttering that they'd seen a lot of fake Scottish notes.

When they tried to pay me in BofE notes I countered with "Can I have the change in Scottish notes please? We've had a lot of fake English notes recently." He didn't crack a smile.

I also save up Scottish £1 notes to take south with me. Loads of fun paying with these, too

"Use Scottish notes when in England to pay for taxis, if they don't accept then thanks for the free trip

Sometimes like to be really cruel and find some northern Irish notes for the giggle"

I usually use my Scottish notes in the pub

They tend to take them after I have had a sip from my pint

I think places rather than Blackpool, Corby, Carlisle etc where they don't see many Scottish notes it is just lack of education on their part.

I had a Scottish fiver refused by a shop keeper in Portsmouth who told me he did not know if it was legal or not.

Funny enough before I left for Portsmouth a shop keeper in Greenock told me the town was over run by fake English five pound notes as the design was changing and the fakers were selling them for £ 5 for 5.

I wish I had bought some

» Add a new message to this topic