FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > In this day and age ....70/80s sexism

In this day and age ....70/80s sexism

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Watched YouTube last night , with my dsughters mid teens and early 20s... showed the Benny Hill , they were horrified.....as much as I still found it funny , I did feel slightly uncomfortable..... does this still apply or is there still a place for BH and the old Carry on films

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Was talking about this with my brother just the other day after he'd been watching love thy neighbour. I think its probably for the best if the shows were left in the past where they belong. Points of view would need a 24/7 channel for all the outraged and offended if such shows were aired now

Totally agree with you , I think if you don’t remember you don’t learn , they compared BH to be as outrageous as “upskirting” and being male I never looked at it from that angle ,

As a female I still think there funny.some folk take things way to seriously

Ffs calm down and have a laugh again!

The world is way to scary a place so a bit of bum pinching ain't gonna ruin the world

"As a female I still think there funny.some folk take things way to seriously

The world is way to scary a place so a bit of bum pinching ain't gonna ruin the world"

It might ruin the faces of the men that think it's okay to do it though

The world is way to scary a place so a bit of bum pinching ain't gonna ruin the world"

Refreshing angle lol I think our generation didn’t take the tv as personally as today’s generation do , I can separate the BH crude humour from life , too may blurred lines for too many nowadays

I ment on the telly as in Benny hill sketches.

Do it on real life your on a register.although I do think getting upset over a worki wolf whistling at you is taking it a tad far

Lol

The world is way to scary a place so a bit of bum pinching ain't gonna ruin the world

It might ruin the faces of the men that think it's okay to do it though"

Not a thing I ever do but if our paths ever cross ......Noted

Some look to be offended no matter what.

Reminds me of the other night I was watching a 're run of only fools

Old uncle said that's not fair..del boy replies neither is Frank brunos Arse !and you don't hear him complaining!yes i laughed as its funny

Is it correct and would you get away with it now..definatly not!.

But it was funny

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

A lot of stuff on tv in days gone by would never be allowed now.

Ive saw a few shows recently and often wondered how they ever got away with some of the stuff that was aired.

One that springs to mind love thy neighbour.

Or rising damp

"Or rising damp "

Haha.

Rigsby using “jungle bunny”

Only Fools and Horses has a few things that some would consider offensive.

Not a thing I ever do but if our paths ever cross ......Noted "

I'm curious...why were you showing them Benny hill in the first place?

"Reminds me of the other night I was watching a 're run of only fools

Old uncle said that's not fair..del boy replies neither is Frank brunos Arse !and you don't hear him complaining!yes i laughed as its funny

Is it correct and would you get away with it now..definatly not!.

But it was funny

"

"A lot of stuff on tv in days gone by would never be allowed now.

Ive saw a few shows recently and often wondered how they ever got away with some of the stuff that was aired.

One that springs to mind love thy neighbour.

"

love thy neighbour looking back is cringey , regardless of the clever twist to make Eddie Boith look stupid ,

Not a thing I ever do but if our paths ever cross ......Noted

I'm curious...why were you showing them Benny hill in the first place?"

We love The Thick of It , Partridge , clever sit coms, should them 70s bad programming I grew up with , I didn’t do a Clockwork Orange and prise their eyes open and force feed lol

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

Shows shouldn't be erased from history, they're of their time and we need to accept that if we ever get around to viewing them. For a recent example look at all the controversy around Friends when it was released on Netflix. There was outrage over it being homophobic, transphobic, sexist and for it's fat shaming.

Ultimately we'd be going down the road of having censors decide every few years which tv shows, films, books etc no longer comply with modern standards and social norms and therefore have to be erased. That would be a very dangerous path to go down.

"Shows shouldn't be erased from history, they're of their time and we need to accept that if we ever get around to viewing them. For a recent example look at all the controversy around Friends when it was released on Netflix. There was outrage over it being homophobic, transphobic, sexist and for it's fat shaming.

Ultimately we'd be going down the road of having censors decide every few years which tv shows, films, books etc no longer comply with modern standards and social norms and therefore have to be erased. That would be a very dangerous path to go down."

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

Benny Hill was crap then, never saw the appeal at all.

By *ockyjockyMan  over a year ago

G63 countryside

Banning or censoring anything in retrospect can be a dangerous game. It is the old "terrorist v freedom fighter" argument. It all depends which end of the telescope you are looking through.

I don't want to open the debate on whether Voltaire said it or not, but tend to agree with the quote: "While I may totally disgree with your view, I will defend to the death your right to say it!"

Banning anything seems to ultimately create more ammunition for the bigots, racists, sectarianists etc etc and cause more problems than the "ism" you were trying to support or defeat.

I grew up watching Carry On films ....my gran had the box set. Only one we weren't allowed to watch was Carry on Cleo. Still never worked out why haha

I was surprised by an article on the news the other day of a pub not letting women drink at the bar pre 1975

"Banning or censoring anything in retrospect can be a dangerous game. It is the old "terrorist v freedom fighter" argument. It all depends which end of the telescope you are looking through.

I don't want to open the debate on whether Voltaire said it or not, but tend to agree with the quote: "While I may totally disgree with your view, I will defend to the death your right to say it!"

Banning anything seems to ultimately create more ammunition for the bigots, racists, sectarianists etc etc and cause more problems than the "ism" you were trying to support or defeat."

"I was surprised by an article on the news the other day of a pub not letting women drink at the bar pre 1975 "
my local bar had a big lounge adjoined and the ladies who were drinking in the bar with say there husband had to go next door to the lounge says the “public bar “ didn’t have a ladies loo until forced to in the mid 80s

By *hav02Man  over a year ago

Glasgow/London

I never watched Benny Hill but the carry on films were funny, for their time. Some might consider them offensive now.

Censorship seems to be spiralling and a new generation of entitlement is growing. Just my opinion though.

Definitely, the earlier comment about crap or not is immaterial, humour is to the individual, but some say female objectification isn’t ,just wanted others view

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

Not really sexism related, but I thought it would be a good idea to watch the goonies with my son a few years back. It was my all time favourite movie when I was his age. Bloody hell, the swearing in there is crazy! Got a few looks from the boy in a way like "mum!! I shouldn't be hearing these things!!!!". Didn't have any recollection of the language used in that movie.

"Not really sexism related, but I thought it would be a good idea to watch the goonies with my son a few years back. It was my all time favourite movie when I was his age. Bloody hell, the swearing in there is crazy! Got a few looks from the boy in a way like "mum!! I shouldn't be hearing these things!!!!". Didn't have any recollection of the language used in that movie. "

I noticed that when I watched this again recently and was surprised.

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

"Not really sexism related, but I thought it would be a good idea to watch the goonies with my son a few years back. It was my all time favourite movie when I was his age. Bloody hell, the swearing in there is crazy! Got a few looks from the boy in a way like "mum!! I shouldn't be hearing these things!!!!". Didn't have any recollection of the language used in that movie.

I noticed that when I watched this again recently and was surprised. "

Made me wonder if swearing was more "normal" back in the eighties and we didn't really notice it at the time

"Not really sexism related, but I thought it would be a good idea to watch the goonies with my son a few years back. It was my all time favourite movie when I was his age. Bloody hell, the swearing in there is crazy! Got a few looks from the boy in a way like "mum!! I shouldn't be hearing these things!!!!". Didn't have any recollection of the language used in that movie.

I noticed that when I watched this again recently and was surprised.

Made me wonder if swearing was more "normal" back in the eighties and we didn't really notice it at the time"

I think that's probably true

"I was surprised by an article on the news the other day of a pub not letting women drink at the bar pre 1975 "

Where I live nobody drank at the bar pre 1975 as it was a dry town

As a retired door steward I sometimes wish it still was

» Add a new message to this topic