FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Cringeworthy

Cringeworthy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *e Devil OP   Man  over a year ago

Blantyre

Andy Murray blubbering like a teenage kid in front of the worlds media . Give me strengthen.

Not as if he will have a poor retirement.

No Appologies for this one guys, he needs to man up.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

Lol just seen this.

Ive never liked Murry so i agree with your comment

By *hrekfionaCouple  over a year ago

Leven

Everyone has to retire at some point x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Feel sorry for him.

His whole life has been tennis once you get to the top level money dosn't come into it.

It's about being the best in your feild and obviously he thinks his was cut short.

By *esparate danMan  over a year ago

glasgow

"Feel sorry for him.

His whole life has been tennis once you get to the top level money dosn't come into it.

It's about being the best in your feild and obviously he thinks his was cut short."

Its not a feild its a court

I like Andy Murray but I agree in part with the OP... I think he wants to go out with the applause at Wimbledon.. Which is fair enough.. But imo, if he doesn't think he can play through the pain until then he should either have announced his retirement now as your health is more important an he has kids that I'm sure he wants to be able to run around with.. Or he should play in minor tournaments that don't take as much out of him to keep him ticking over until Wimbledon.

By *wazuluMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

Aye....tough retiring in your 30s with millions in Florida!

I feel sorry for him, you don’t expect your career to be cut short because of your health at any age never mind as young, whilst I may not have his millions in the bank o know how difficult it is to have your life cut short and yes my career was very much of my life and it breaks my heart all time that I can no longer work

"Feel sorry for him.

It's about being the best in your feild and obviously he thinks his was cut short.

Its not a feild its a court "

really?

By *exicolaMan  over a year ago

West Lothian

Not a big fan of Murray but you can't exactly knock him being emotional at having to retire through issues that aren't his making.

glasgow

"Feel sorry for him.

Its not a feild its a court really? "

Im trying to turn over a new leif

By *unCpl1003Couple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Guy loves tennis has sacrificed a lot for it don't think the money comes into it otherwise would have retired years ago

By *ade and VanessaCouple  over a year ago

Central Scotland

Men are allowed to have and show emotions.

Of course he's upset! He's 31! Tennis players are usually at their peak about then and he was most likely expecting another few years to win before winding down. As said already, it's not about the money at that stage, it's about the achievement for something he's spent his while life working towards and now it's over before he really had a choice.

This kind of attitude is why male suicide rates are so high...

V x

"Feel sorry for him.

Its not a feild its a court really?

"

field...Feel better now?

glasgow

"Feel sorry for him.

Its not a feild its a court really?

field...Feel better now?"

Ive never field better

Blantyre

His playing career might be over but he still has a tennis career ahead of him through coaching. Ive never been a fan of him either tbh. Personality of a fence post. If you want to look and call someone a hero that deserves your sympathy but would never ask for it, look at our Doddy Weir. Theres how a real man behaves when faced with a shit hand life can sometimes deal you.

"His playing career might be over but he still has a tennis career ahead of him through coaching. Ive never been a fan of him either tbh. Personality of a fence post. If you want to look and call someone a hero that deserves your sympathy but would never ask for it, look at our Doddy Weir. Theres how a real man behaves when faced with a shit hand life can sometimes deal you. "
yeah I agree with his personality hate his accent lol But it's still his life and what he's worked for all his life.for that to be cut short I feel.sorry for him..same as a young footballer just because they are loaded dosn't make it any easier on them personally.look at John Kennedy playing for celtic...promising career ahead of him then a horrific injury playing for Scotland and boom!! That's the end of that.

"His playing career might be over but he still has a tennis career ahead of him through coaching. Ive never been a fan of him either tbh. Personality of a fence post. If you want to look and call someone a hero that deserves your sympathy but would never ask for it, look at our Doddy Weir. Theres how a real man behaves when faced with a shit hand life can sometimes deal you. "

You say he has the personality of a fence post, but criticise him for getting emotional. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, it would seem.

He is seeing a lifetimes' work and commitment slipping away from him, and all the money in the world won't fill that void.

He has done what no one else in British mens' tennis had done since Fred Perry, twice, won Olympic gold, the US Open, and led Britain to Davis Cup success. He has done that on the court, where he shows his character, not as the shy, uncomfortable person in front of the media.

If you don't like him, fine, but don't mock him for being human.

"His playing career might be over but he still has a tennis career ahead of him through coaching. Ive never been a fan of him either tbh. Personality of a fence post. If you want to look and call someone a hero that deserves your sympathy but would never ask for it, look at our Doddy Weir. Theres how a real man behaves when faced with a shit hand life can sometimes deal you.

You say he has the personality of a fence post, but criticise him for getting emotional. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, it would seem.

He is seeing a lifetimes' work and commitment slipping away from him, and all the money in the world won't fill that void.

He has done what no one else in British mens' tennis had done since Fred Perry, twice, won Olympic gold, the US Open, and led Britain to Davis Cup success. He has done that on the court, where he shows his character, not as the shy, uncomfortable person in front of the media.

If you don't like him, fine, but don't mock him for being human."

well said

He mumbles like a teenager and wimpers like a child. He needs to take a brave pill and be a big boy.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Andy Murray blubbering like a teenage kid in front of the worlds media . Give me strengthen.

No Appologies for this one guys, he needs to man up. "

That is a heartless attitude which disappoints me. Andy Murray is fantastic tennis player and you should be very proud of him. Nobody wishes to give up something they love due to health issues so my heart goes out to him. As others have said its not about the money its about competing in the sport he has dedicated his life to and to have to retire at his age is a devastating blow although a wise decision to make. Its a very emotional time for him and we should all be supporting him instead of slagging him. He has done Scotland very proud over many years so i wish him well in the years to come.

By *eather47Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I thoroughly agree Bluebell he has been a marvellous ambassador for the sport and so he doesnt as some SAY have a great personality ffs what do you want to have any part of your life cur short because of any illness is awful And hip pain is horrendous as any one with it will know So stop this snipping at him

By *rMrsWTFCouple  over a year ago

Arbroath

I feel for him when I was told I couldn't compete anymore due to damage to my knees in fact was told not to even do it as hobby I was totally gutted and it wasn't even my career so I feel his pain

Glasgow

And before i get shot down in flames yes everyone has the right to a opinion but please try and be more humane towards the guy

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

It's been his life forever. Of course the poor guy will be devastated. Different when you quit to let the younger generation in, but he could've had quite a few more years on the tennis court.

By *ickygirl41Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"He mumbles like a teenager and wimpers like a child. He needs to take a brave pill and be a big boy. "

See this attitude, man up, don't blubber like a kid, it's a bit 80's now is it not?

Why reinforce a negative male stereotype when the effect on male mental health is clearly documented.

It was his career, he loved it, he can't do it anymore, that would have me crying.

Maybe a wee bit of space for humanity? Please?

By *irky_coupleCouple  over a year ago

kirky

Try having something you love and has been your life for 25 years taken away through no fault of your own and tell me you won't get emotional and I'll show you a liar.

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Id say you dont know his personality you see his persona. Pr is something they are taught.maybe he tried harder at the sport than making sure he was likeable

I like him and felt sorry for him this morning when I saw the interview.

And I think it's a bit shite to have a pop at anyone when they're showing a bit of emotion and vulnerability. Especially a man.

By *dinburgerMan  over a year ago

Perthshire

Dunblane survivor, immense athlete, huge supporter of women in sport, has so much money he doesn’t have to worry yet tennis remains his whole life, very dry Scots sense of humour that seems to wind some folk up. Gets a bit upset at forced retirement and takes pelters from it from the tedious ‘man up’ brigade who I suspect have never achieved anything close to his success at what they do, or loved anything as much as he loves his sport.

Classy.

Blantyre

I agree with lots of the comments above about it being a devastating time but this guy is also a role model for thousands if not millions of kids. Its another example of the snowflake society. Sorry but its true . He should have came on and been proud of his achievements and proven what a great champion he is and said he will fight on , whether it be at competition or coaching level and inspire young people not come on in front of the world media and snivel and hide behind your hat because you dont like the question or the answer, thats what my 4 year used to do before they were educated that its easier to answer the question honestly and the reality of that answer was never as bad as they thought.

"Men are allowed to have and show emotions.

Of course he's upset! He's 31! Tennis players are usually at their peak about then and he was most likely expecting another few years to win before winding down. As said already, it's not about the money at that stage, it's about the achievement for something he's spent his while life working towards and now it's over before he really had a choice.

V x"

100% agree. The guy loves tennis and has worked hard all his life and it's been taken away prematurely. And it's never good to be premature! I had to finish on a joke! Maybe with a year or twos rest he might find a way back. You never know.

Perthshire

It’s not ‘true’ it’s your opinion. And snowflake is a ridiculous bandwagon jumping word.

Funnily enough he ‘manned up’ plenty times over exhausting hours upon hours on court. Emotion doesn’t mean weak, far from it.

I’m sure in future interviews in his retirement when it’s less raw he’ll look back and discuss his achievements.

"I agree with lots of the comments above about it being a devastating time but this guy is also a role model for thousands if not millions of kids. Its another example of the snowflake society. Sorry but its true . He should have came on and been proud of his achievements and proven what a great champion he is and said he will fight on , whether it be at competition or coaching level and inspire young people not come on in front of the world media and snivel and hide behind your hat because you dont like the question or the answer, thats what my 4 year used to do before they were educated that its easier to answer the question honestly and the reality of that answer was never as bad as they thought. "
totally disagree there devil

So emotion is a sign of weekness?

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"I agree with lots of the comments above about it being a devastating time but this guy is also a role model for thousands if not millions of kids. Its another example of the snowflake society. Sorry but its true . He should have came on and been proud of his achievements and proven what a great champion he is and said he will fight on , whether it be at competition or coaching level and inspire young people not come on in front of the world media and snivel and hide behind your hat because you dont like the question or the answer, thats what my 4 year used to do before they were educated that its easier to answer the question honestly and the reality of that answer was never as bad as they thought. "

Yes should bring back the 50s where good men just died at their work and then next day got up and got on with it.

There is me thinking we had moved on to. Guys allowed to show emotion, its his life, his passion and his obsession. He's done more for this country's profile in the last 15 years than a most.

Snowflake society statement belongs next to every other stupid throw away catch phrase going about these days. Having a mental health issue or caring does not make you soft. It makes you human.

And btw I think he I'd funny as fuck...listen to him

coatbridge

Id say being able to show emotion is manning up its something I would seldom do with loved ones let alone everyone

"

V x"

100% this. The guy is clearly devestated for his own reasons. But nah, he has the personality of a fence post and should just man-up. Imagine "blubbering" in public??

"Id say being able to show emotion is manning up its something I would seldom do with loved ones let alone everyone"

Totally agree. Men should be able to show emotions more without being ridiculed and emasculated for it

Most people have a blub at some time and maybe I'll be blubbing the day i retire but he is the chief correspondent for Blubbers Weekly.

If you think Andy Murray hasn't inspired children then you are clearly letting your dislike of him overshadow the big picture. You know, the more of your posts that I read, the more I wonder how on earth you got accepted on to a children's panel. Your attitude is so stuck in the dark ages it is often appalling

"I agree with lots of the comments above about it being a devastating time but this guy is also a role model for thousands if not millions of kids. Its another example of the snowflake society. Sorry but its true . He should have came on and been proud of his achievements and proven what a great champion he is and said he will fight on , whether it be at competition or coaching level and inspire young people not come on in front of the world media and snivel and hide behind your hat because you dont like the question or the answer, thats what my 4 year used to do before they were educated that its easier to answer the question honestly and the reality of that answer was never as bad as they thought.

Yes should bring back the 50s where good men just died at their work and then next day got up and got on with it.

There is me thinking we had moved on to. Guys allowed to show emotion, its his life, his passion and his obsession. He's done more for this country's profile in the last 15 years than a most.

Snowflake society statement belongs next to every other stupid throw away catch phrase going about these days. Having a mental health issue or caring does not make you soft. It makes you human.

And btw I think he I'd funny as fuck...listen to him "

This. Plus he was the butt of many jokes for a long time, when he was not winning and the country couldn't see past Tim Henman. But he kept on going, didn't give up. Now he is being forced to give up, he is still a shining example in my eyes. Even if he wasn't, he's still entitled to be devestated at his career ending and being able to show it publicly is maybe one thing that might help him through it

"He mumbles like a teenager and wimpers like a child. He needs to take a brave pill and be a big boy.

See this attitude, man up, don't blubber like a kid, it's a bit 80's now is it not?

Why reinforce a negative male stereotype when the effect on male mental health is clearly documented.

It was his career, he loved it, he can't do it anymore, that would have me crying.

Maybe a wee bit of space for humanity? Please?"

yup this lets remember its ok to not be ok

as someone who has sever mental health problems I hate when folk tell me to man up and get over it, makes me feel even less of a human being than I already feel, I already feel like a failure as a professional, parent, friend and human being at times without folk stepping on me when I'm already down, but whatever makes the bullies feel better and that's exactly how I see it, its a bullying attitude to pick on the weak to give yourself a boost

wow,,its the mans passion and he has to give it up,no wonder hes upset.

lol people are total arses bout this.

imagine you giving up something you lived for and where passionate about

[Removed by poster at 11/01/19 15:55:56]

[Removed by poster at 11/01/19 16:00:23]

"I agree with lots of the comments above about it being a devastating time but this guy is also a role model for thousands if not millions of kids. Its another example of the snowflake society. Sorry but its true . He should have came on and been proud of his achievements and proven what a great champion he is and said he will fight on , whether it be at competition or coaching level and inspire young people not come on in front of the world media and snivel and hide behind your hat because you dont like the question or the answer, thats what my 4 year used to do before they were educated that its easier to answer the question honestly and the reality of that answer was never as bad as they thought.

If you think Andy Murray hasn't inspired children then you are clearly letting your dislike of him overshadow the big picture. You know, the more of your posts that I read, the more I wonder how on earth you got accepted on to a children's panel. Your attitude is so stuck in the dark ages it is often appalling"

I could not agree more. Well said.

Glasgow

Can anyone evn imagine the pain he must be in He has said he even finds it hard putting socks on being some one who has back pain i can sympathise with him he has done his country the nation proud and has been a magnificent anbassador for the sport heres hoping he isnt doing irreparable damage even trying to carry on

Blantyre

If you think Andy Murray hasn't inspired children then you are clearly letting your dislike of him overshadow the big picture. You know, the more of your posts that I read, the more I wonder how on earth you got accepted on to a children's panel. Your attitude is so stuck in the dark ages it is often appalling"

Jen its not an attitude i have its an opinion only. My childrens panel acceptance was a bit of a mystery to me too. On interview i sat in a room with 12 other " professional " people who all had the same opinion on a particular subject we had a discussion on except me . 12 people would have returned a child to a home because the parents had certain issues we should all accept as part of life. Only myself thought the childs needs should come first, thats why i was sitting the interview in the first place. I see Andy Murray as a role model for these kids and teaching kids that there life is over because of an injury and blubbering on TV is not something a well accredited sportsman should be conceying to young people. I really do have sympathy for the guy but going ott and burying your head in your hat is not teaching young people to overcome challenges, its teaching them whats the point. In my opinion.

The tears were uncalled for.

Andy Murray was a fantastic tennis player who was lucky enough to earn a fantastic living at his chosen sport. His dreams came true but with no shortage or application and hard work along the way.

But seriously, this is not a bolt from the blue, this has been in the pipeline for 18 months or more, he knew this day was a strong possibility and it's become more or a reality over recent time. It's not like he was suddenly told before the press conference that his career was ending.

So I respect him for what he's done, but there was no need for tears regarding a decision which he knew he had to take for some time. He's had an amazing career, it's not like John Kennedy as another posters alluded to, cut down early in his career, career ending tackle and the career and all the money that would have went with it taken from you in an instant. That's sad! Not some guys who's had a stellar career and been knighted. Grow up Andy!

Careful, he'll say you're baiting him.

If you think Andy Murray hasn't inspired children then you are clearly letting your dislike of him overshadow the big picture. You know, the more of your posts that I read, the more I wonder how on earth you got accepted on to a children's panel. Your attitude is so stuck in the dark ages it is often appalling

Jen its not an attitude i have its an opinion only. My childrens panel acceptance was a bit of a mystery to me too. On interview i sat in a room with 12 other " professional " people who all had the same opinion on a particular subject we had a discussion on except me . 12 people would have returned a child to a home because the parents had certain issues we should all accept as part of life. Only myself thought the childs needs should come first, thats why i was sitting the interview in the first place. I see Andy Murray as a role model for these kids and teaching kids that there life is over because of an injury and blubbering on TV is not something a well accredited sportsman should be conceying to young people. I really do have sympathy for the guy but going ott and burying your head in your hat is not teaching young people to overcome challenges, its teaching them whats the point. In my opinion. "

Despite him clawing his way to the very top of his profession, yeah he gives up way too easily The man overcame the dunblane tragedy and years of being laughed at by the media every time he lost a game. But yeah, he gives up way too easily...

Maybe it teaches kids that showing your emotions does not make you a 'wimp' or a 'snowflake', if a top sportsman can do it then it's okay for them to? Rather than holding it all in then hanging yourself. Just a thought.

But no. These kids will learn it's not okay to show their feelings. Because people like you will be voicing their opinions on how Andy Murray showing his emotions was 'cringey' and he should 'man-up'.

Tbh honest though, if you can't handle seeing a grown man cry, if it makes you so uncomfortable then I'd suggest it's you that's the 'snowflake'.

Blantyre

Jen its not an attitude i have its an opinion only. My childrens panel acceptance was a bit of a mystery to me too. On interview i sat in a room with 12 other " professional " people who all had the same opinion on a particular subject we had a discussion on except me . 12 people would have returned a child to a home because the parents had certain issues we should all accept as part of life. Only myself thought the childs needs should come first, thats why i was sitting the interview in the first place. I see Andy Murray as a role model for these kids and teaching kids that there life is over because of an injury and blubbering on TV is not something a well accredited sportsman should be conceying to young people. I really do have sympathy for the guy but going ott and burying your head in your hat is not teaching young people to overcome challenges, its teaching them whats the point. In my opinion.

Despite him clawing his way to the very top of his profession, yeah he gives up way too easily The man overcame the dunblane tragedy and years of being laughed at by the media every time he lost a game. But yeah, he gives up way too easily...

Maybe it teaches kids that showing your emotions does not make you a 'wimp' or a 'snowflake', if a top sportsman can do it then it's okay for them to? Rather than holding it all in then hanging yourself. Just a thought.

But no. These kids will learn it's not okay to show their feelings. Because people like you will be voicing their opinions on how Andy Murray showing his emotions was 'cringey' and he should 'man-up'.

Tbh honest though, if you can't handle seeing a grown man cry, if it makes you so uncomfortable then I'd suggest it's you that's the 'snowflake'. "

Your using the Dunblane massacre to strengthen an argument about a guy crying on TV because he has to retire through injury . Cmon. Dunblane and my appointment as a childrens panel member, next it will be Lockerbie as hes from Scotland to say its all those things combined. I never once saud i couldnt handle it i said i was cringing watching it. As said before it never came as a shock to him , he knew it way before this press conference so in my eyes it was all for the cameras.

Tbh honest though, if you can't handle seeing a grown man cry, if it makes you so uncomfortable then I'd suggest it's you that's the 'snowflake'.

Your using the Dunblane massacre to strengthen an argument about a guy crying on TV because he has to retire through injury . Cmon. Dunblane and my appointment as a childrens panel member, next it will be Lockerbie as hes from Scotland to say its all those things combined. I never once saud i couldnt handle it i said i was cringing watching it. As said before it never came as a shock to him , he knew it way before this press conference so in my eyes it was all for the cameras. "

Would it have been different for you if it had been a woman crying?

Your using the Dunblane massacre to strengthen an argument about a guy crying on TV because he has to retire through injury . Cmon. Dunblane and my appointment as a childrens panel member, next it will be Lockerbie as hes from Scotland to say its all those things combined. I never once saud i couldnt handle it i said i was cringing watching it. As said before it never came as a shock to him , he knew it way before this press conference so in my eyes it was all for the cameras. "

You said him crying would teach kids how to give up too easily. I was pointing out all the reasons he has not given up easily. But that doesn't really matter. It doesn't matter if it's Andy Murray crying on screen or any other sportsman. Male suicide rates are far higher than females exactly because men have traditionally been told to keep it in, don't show your emotions, don't be a 'snowflake', man-up. And you are perpetuating this by sharing your views that it's 'cringey' seeing a sportsman cry. However devestated he may be. Talking about it to the cameras brings on tears, he must be doing it for the cameras. Because men don't cry do they?

It's not just you, I'm disappointed to see other guys on the thread perpetuating the same tired nonsense. Things need to change if male mental health and suicide rates are to fall. And it starts with letting me know they can let their emotions out, they can talk about what is hurting them. Without muppets like you telling them to 'man-up'

The last line!

Your using the Dunblane massacre to strengthen an argument about a guy crying on TV because he has to retire through injury . Cmon. Dunblane and my appointment as a childrens panel member, next it will be Lockerbie as hes from Scotland to say its all those things combined. I never once saud i couldnt handle it i said i was cringing watching it. As said before it never came as a shock to him , he knew it way before this press conference so in my eyes it was all for the cameras.

The last line! "

So what does he actually gain from crying "for the cameras" then? As has been pointed out, the guy is a fucking millionaire, so why worry what people think?

The last line!

So what does he actually gain from crying "for the cameras" then? As has been pointed out, the guy is a fucking millionaire, so why worry what people think?"

Feck, that's twice I've agreed with Doggy today.

A sure sign of the apocalypse!

Well an OPEN for is all about different opinions.

I'd say the majority think him showing emotion on tv or on court shows true feelings and shows others it is ok to let your guard down no matter what folk think.

And as for pulling his cap down to hide his face ...so if he shows it he's doing it for the cameras

But if he's trying to hide behind his cap he's acting like a child?

Erm?

Blantyre

You said him crying would teach kids how to give up too easily. I was pointing out all the reasons he has not given up easily. But that doesn't really matter. It doesn't matter if it's Andy Murray crying on screen or any other sportsman. Male suicide rates are far higher than females exactly because men have traditionally been told to keep it in, don't show your emotions, don't be a 'snowflake', man-up. And you are perpetuating this by sharing your views that it's 'cringey' seeing a sportsman cry. However devestated he may be. Talking about it to the cameras brings on tears, he must be doing it for the cameras. Because men don't cry do they?

It's not just you, I'm disappointed to see other guys on the thread perpetuating the same tired nonsense. Things need to change if male mental health and suicide rates are to fall. And it starts with letting me know they can let their emotions out, they can talk about what is hurting them. Without muppets like you telling them to 'man-up' "

Muppets ? Plz refer to last post re abuse.

Kids dont see that part of a sportsman , ie what they have went through to get where they are, they see a sportsman crying on tv because he got injured and his life is over, its far from over i assure you. .

Blantyre

The last line!

So what does he actually gain from crying "for the cameras" then? As has been pointed out, the guy is a fucking millionaire, so why worry what people think?"

Nothing Doggy, thats what made it cringeworthy to me.

It's not just you, I'm disappointed to see other guys on the thread perpetuating the same tired nonsense. Things need to change if male mental health and suicide rates are to fall. And it starts with letting me know they can let their emotions out, they can talk about what is hurting them. Without muppets like you telling them to 'man-up'

Kids dont see that part of a sportsman , ie what they have went through to get where they are, they see a sportsman crying on tv because he got injured and his life is over, its far from over i assure you. .

"

You're just not listening are you. Nothing new there though. And yes I think any man looking down on another because he has the courage to show his emotions is being a muppet. How come it's okay for you to call Andy Murray 'cringey' and part of the 'snowflake generation' who needs to 'man-up' and that's okay. But I say you are a muppet and that means I've lost the argument as I have nothing constructive to say? You really do make me shake my head in wonder. Haul yourself out of the dark ages and take a look around. Men can 'be' emotional nowadays. And I for one am thankful for it.

The last line!

So what does he actually gain from crying "for the cameras" then? As has been pointed out, the guy is a fucking millionaire, so why worry what people think?

A sure sign of the apocalypse!"

Give it time....you'll be talking shite on another thread if I look around

The last line!

Nothing Doggy, thats what made it cringeworthy to me. "

To me that makes it genuine.

The last line!

A sure sign of the apocalypse!

Give it time....you'll be talking shite on another thread if I look around

Who? Me or the other one?"

Fuck sake....don't tell me there are two of you?

coatbridge

Theres a diffrence between knowing something and publicly saying it.

unfortunatly in todays media driven society he couldnt just say nothing as he would have been dammed for that.

the guy has done nothing but focus almost his whole life in the persuit of his dream......then faced upto the fact he is losing what has been all he has known.

ive been in the unfortunate position of knowing something and coping with it but thesecond I had to put words to it to people every emotion bursts through at once.

To be fair andy murray really wont give a flying fuck what folk on a swingers site think he knows the truth of the matter.

Blantyre

You're just not listening are you. Nothing new there though. And yes I think any man looking down on another because he has the courage to show his emotions is being a muppet. How come it's okay for you to call Andy Murray 'cringey' and part of the 'snowflake generation' who needs to 'man-up' and that's okay. But I say you are a muppet and that means I've lost the argument as I have nothing constructive to say? You really do make me shake my head in wonder. Haul yourself out of the dark ages and take a look around. Men can 'be' emotional nowadays. And I for one am thankful for it. "

Jen you need to read the thread sll the way through.

Not once have i said people with mental health issues should man up or anything like it.

Not once have i said its not ok for MEN to cry or show emotion.

I have said in Andy Murray's case it was cringey and not a good look from a man who has achieved the top level of his sport and should be looking to enspire others, that in my opinion does not mean go on world tv and hide crying behind a hat making out it was all for nothing, his life us not over, its just a new chapter.

"Theres a diffrence between knowing something and publicly saying it.

unfortunatly in todays media driven society he couldnt just say nothing as he would have been dammed for that.

the guy has done nothing but focus almost his whole life in the persuit of his dream......then faced upto the fact he is losing what has been all he has known.

ive been in the unfortunate position of knowing something and coping with it but thesecond I had to put words to it to people every emotion bursts through at once.

To be fair andy murray really wont give a flying fuck what folk on a swingers site think he knows the truth of the matter."

ffs kola...here's me thinking he was reading all these?

coatbridge

"Theres a diffrence between knowing something and publicly saying it.

To be fair andy murray really wont give a flying fuck what folk on a swingers site think he knows the truth of the matter.ffs kola...here's me thinking he was reading all these? "

maybe he is ........and wiping away the laughter tears with $100 bills

By *eep.Man  over a year ago

Just a background character

This thread is cringeworthy. Plus ça change.

"This thread is cringeworthy. Plus ça change."
agreed some folk just dig their heels in way too hard.

"

I have said in Andy Murray's case it was cringey and not a good look from a man who has achieved the top level of his sport and should be looking to enspire others, that in my opinion does not mean go on world tv and hide crying behind a hat making out it was all for nothing, his life us not over, its just a new chapter. "

Andy Murray is a MAN. And yes he can influence other MEN. And saying him crying was 'cringey' and 'not a good look' pretty much IS saying it's not ok for MEN to cry or show emotion. Do you even stop and think before you type??

Anyway I'm not going to keep on arguing, I've said my piece. I'm happy to see plenty on the thread agree with me. I will let you have the last word, I know how much you like that

"

I have said in Andy Murray's case it was cringey and not a good look from a man who has achieved the top level of his sport and should be looking to enspire others, that in my opinion does not mean go on world tv and hide crying behind a hat making out it was all for nothing, his life us not over, its just a new chapter.

Andy Murray is a MAN. And yes he can influence other MEN. And saying him crying was 'cringey' and 'not a good look' pretty much IS saying it's not ok for MEN to cry or show emotion. Do you even stop and think before you type??

Anyway I'm not going to keep on arguing, I've said my piece. I'm happy to see plenty on the thread agree with me. I will let you have the last word, I know how much you like that"

He is a man! So he's an adult! An adult who has been able to keep his emotions in check in the white hot heat and the world spotlight when serving for grand slams!

So to cry about something which he had known is on the cards for almost 2 years was going to finish his career, no tennis player comes back from this to play at their highest level. So he hasn't been able to adjust to this possibility in 2 years??? What are you suggesting by saying it's ok to cry about that 2 years later? It's old news, he wasn't told yesterday his career was over and he'd lose everything.

Are you suggesting he's got a problem with coming to terms with reality? It is he a "Man" in a child's body? Because it was emotionally immature and nothing else in my book.

I get when he cried at Wimbledon, thats ok, he lost and he wanted it so badly and that's ok that's emotional. That press conference was just cringeworthy and I don't agree with He devil much. I'm not saying it was staged, but he let himself down in my book, and if that's how he gets on he comes across as self centred, selfish and ungrateful for the opportunities and privileges he's had and his own achievements.

But the press love the hype and interest has suddenly rocketed in the Australian open when many casual/Wimbledon tennis fans wouldn't have batted and eyelid and he might have gone off unnoticed.

By *owboy BebopMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Only in Scotland, could a former World No 1 get criticised, for being emotional when retiring.....let’s all criticise him for being successfull, for being a millionaire and for having to give up something he loves. FFS this country and its inhabitants!!!

"Only in Scotland, could a former World No 1 get criticised, for being emotional when retiring.....let’s all criticise him for being successfull, for being a millionaire and for having to give up something he loves. FFS this country and its inhabitants!!! "

You're right! He's the first sportsman ever had to give up his chosen sport. Why don't you guys have a national day of mourning?

Everyone can cry together! Ffs

Nothing wrong with a man, or anyone else for that matter showing a bit of public emotion over something they are passionate about. He is one of our greatest sportsman ever,worked hard to achieve what he did and the man up comments are a little sad and an outdated attitude to have in my opinion.

It's a shame that he has had to give up his career, something he gave his whole life to. He did his country proud and he survived a terrible massacre in his home town when he was very young. He's achieved so much and he's still young. If he feels he can't go on because of his pain through his injuries then that's his choice. He has the money to put to other projects so good luck to the guy x

By *owboy BebopMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I think everyone has made thier view clear.... but is he Scotland’s Greatest Ever Athlete ??? Yes from me... are there any other serious contenders ?.... should this be a new thread?.....what should I have for my dinner ?....

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

Andy Murray can shed a tear over a lost career. He’s grown up in a town that lost 16 children and a teacher in the Dunblane school shooting where both Andy and Jamie were pupils at the time.

Andy Murray reached world no 1 ranking against everyone’s expectations. He’s battled the media and his lack of personality. He may not have the charisma of McEnroe or Federer but he’s carried the weight of more than just a tennis career for most of his life.

Give the guy a break. If you were cut down in your prime I’m sure you’d all find it difficult to hold it together at a press conference.

"Andy Murray can shed a tear over a lost career. He’s grown up in a town that lost 16 children and a teacher in the Dunblane school shooting where both Andy and Jamie were pupils at the time.

Andy Murray reached world no 1 ranking against everyone’s expectations. He’s battled the media and his lack of personality. He may not have the charisma of McEnroe or Federer but he’s carried the weight of more than just a tennis career for most of his life.

Give the guy a break. If you were cut down in your prime I’m sure you’d all find it difficult to hold it together at a press conference. "

Well said!

"I think everyone has made thier view clear.... but is he Scotland’s Greatest Ever Athlete ??? Yes from me... are there any other serious contenders ?.... should this be a new thread?.....what should I have for my dinner ?...."

Only other contender I can think of is Chris Hoy

while neither agree or disagree whether he should man up or not surely his retirement is not headline news, not with everything else that is going on, ie Brexit, job loses etc etc.

experts the lot of you

By *imbobaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"while neither agree or disagree whether he should man up or not surely his retirement is not headline news, not with everything else that is going on, ie Brexit, job loses etc etc. "

It is headline news for many of the points raised here. One of the greatest Scottish/British sportsmen of recent time.

Couple of points to add - yes he has been injured for over a year and spent that time recovering and trying to get back to form. It is NOW that he has started to accept that he cannot do that but has had to be in a positive if frustrating place during his attempt to recover that form. So yes, this acceptance is still raw for him. That’s what you saw on camera coming out.

Personally, I’m a very keen tennis player as are my kids - the inspiration and pride that he has given us all - across the tennis playing community and beyond - is immense. I include Jamie and Judy in that too.

As to his personality - fencepost? No. He is dry humoured true and monotoned but funny, whitty and thoughtful and kind.

As to the money? He deserves all that he’s won and made and whilst I’d settle for a fraction of it I’d not begrudge hime for being wealthy.

Can’t believe some of the comments that have been made here and sparked me to jump in to have to defend this man. Shame. Let the man have a greet ffs.

it truly is cringeworthy ,,,,,,this thread

By *stonDBS2Man  over a year ago

Kirkcaldy

"His playing career might be over but he still has a tennis career ahead of him through coaching. Ive never been a fan of him either tbh. Personality of a fence post. If you want to look and call someone a hero that deserves your sympathy but would never ask for it, look at our Doddy Weir. Theres how a real man behaves when faced with a shit hand life can sometimes deal you.

If you don't like him, fine, but don't mock him for being human."

Well said, i have grown up watching many super players over the years,the last thing i ever would of considered was watching a Scotsman win Wimbledon!!

Its to be proud of, a story that will be told for decades to all and especially (like Andy) to be conveyed to future "Andy Murrays" in Scotland where we never in our wildest dreams ever imagined a scot winning at wimbledon.

I get the lack of sympathy in these tough times, he wont be filling in a "ability to work" form ever, to criticise the "way he talks",lack of perky upbeat after match interviews etc, he aint the worst, these feckin thick as shite obviously at the end of the day, the gaffer said, the boys done well,footy players that earn more in a week regardless if play pish or brilliant yet take your money via season tickets or gate tickets, those wee tits irritate me way more !,,

I like Andy Murray,was sad to watch that today. Really hope he becomes a commentator now at Wimbledon.

Best Andy Murray quote

Who will you be supporting in the world cup Andy?

Anyone playing England.

Blantyre

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

"

And i have outdated views. Lets hear you criticise those comments or are they ok because he won wimbledon. ???

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

And i have outdated views. Lets hear you criticise those comments or are they ok because he won wimbledon. ???

"

Lighten up sweet cheeks

Even the grinch ain't that grumpy

By *ade and VanessaCouple  over a year ago

Central Scotland

I don't really get the football thing. I just like that the weekend after they won Wimbledon, he and Jamie were back in Dunblane and taking their granny to the hairdressers. Also, their granny is adorable and doesn't mind a feral toddler chatting to her at a coffee morning. Then again, I might have liked the grannies of a few on here so I probably shouldn't judge someone based on that...

Bit of a bummer your denied further progress at such a young age with your dream but man up your Scottish YRS!!.. ..your Made fae girders. Gee yer mum a wee cuddle why not but skip the social media pr shit......Just saying

"while neither agree or disagree whether he should man up or not surely his retirement is not headline news, not with everything else that is going on, ie Brexit, job loses etc etc.

It is headline news for many of the points raised here. One of the greatest Scottish/British sportsmen of recent time.

Couple of points to add - yes he has been injured for over a year and spent that time recovering and trying to get back to form. It is NOW that he has started to accept that he cannot do that but has had to be in a positive if frustrating place during his attempt to recover that form. So yes, this acceptance is still raw for him. That’s what you saw on camera coming out.

Personally, I’m a very keen tennis player as are my kids - the inspiration and pride that he has given us all - across the tennis playing community and beyond - is immense. I include Jamie and Judy in that too.

As to his personality - fencepost? No. He is dry humoured true and monotoned but funny, whitty and thoughtful and kind.

As to the money? He deserves all that he’s won and made and whilst I’d settle for a fraction of it I’d not begrudge hime for being wealthy.

Can’t believe some of the comments that have been made here and sparked me to jump in to have to defend this man. Shame. Let the man have a greet ffs. "

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

"

To be fair half of Scotland would probably say same thing. I'm in that camp and do say it to my partner who is English. He takes it in the good fun it's intended.

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

"

yes yes you do have outdated views.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

yes yes you do have outdated views. "

Us English can take a joke or two. He is not the first to say stuff like that and wont be the last. Its hardly gonna kill us and never once put me off his outstanding talents.

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

Us English can take a joke or two. He is not the first to say stuff like that and wont be the last. Its hardly gonna kill us and never once put me off his outstanding talents."

he said it in jrst yo tve english reporters and everyone laughed..just had to look at the love he was shown when he won Wimbledon id say if folk took what he said to heart they wouldn't have supported him.

Just when folks argument isn't getting through they dig their heels in deeper.

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

Us English can take a joke or two. He is not the first to say stuff like that and wont be the last. Its hardly gonna kill us and never once put me off his outstanding talents."

Exactly my partners family rip it out of me because I'm Scottish and can't understand a word I say... Do I take offence.... No I just give them pelters back... Think it used to be called banter.. No malice in it.

Blantyre

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

Us English can take a joke or two. He is not the first to say stuff like that and wont be the last. Its hardly gonna kill us and never once put me off his outstanding talents. he said it in jrst yo tve english reporters and everyone laughed..just had to look at the love he was shown when he won Wimbledon id say if folk took what he said to heart they wouldn't have supported him.

Just when folks argument isn't getting through they dig their heels in deeper. "

Yep its funny when some people make a comment and not when others make the same comment. A thread a wee while ago during the world cup forum users were slaughtered for out dated comments like we support anyone that is playing england. As for diggung heels in , twice this comment has been used ?? Oldie i have NO argument to push through ?? I have agreed with all the comments on here multiple times lol. In my OPINION , him hiding behind a hat crying fake tears was cringeworthy, no argument would change that view and i cant dig my heels in any deeper either. You can only agree or disagree as some have done. Everyone else has added mental health, dunblane tragedy, its ok to be a man and cry and incredibly my appointnent to the childrens panel ( wtf ??? ) to strenthen what was never debateable. I expected pelters for those opinions of course but some forum users thought my opinion warranted abuse. Really ? Or speak about things that had nothing to do with the subject, bans or childrens panel again really. ???

Devil no views should warrent abuse on here

That we agree on.

My point was the majority of posters on here are saying he was showing his emotions for finally having to admit to the world he can't continue..yes he knew it for a while but we have all had something happen and kept it to yourself but the min you say the spoken words out loud boom!! It becomes real and that's what I think happend to him

Yup you disagree and that's ok to and to be fair devil unlike some of these posts you didn't retaliate to name calling and belittling so..Agree to disagree.

Perthshire

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

Us English can take a joke or two. He is not the first to say stuff like that and wont be the last. Its hardly gonna kill us and never once put me off his outstanding talents. he said it in jrst yo tve english reporters and everyone laughed..just had to look at the love he was shown when he won Wimbledon id say if folk took what he said to heart they wouldn't have supported him.

Yep its funny when some people make a comment and not when others make the same comment. A thread a wee while ago during the world cup forum users were slaughtered for out dated comments like we support anyone that is playing england. As for diggung heels in , twice this comment has been used ?? Oldie i have NO argument to push through ?? I have agreed with all the comments on here multiple times lol. In my OPINION , him hiding behind a hat crying fake tears was cringeworthy, no argument would change that view and i cant dig my heels in any deeper either. You can only agree or disagree as some have done. Everyone else has added mental health, dunblane tragedy, its ok to be a man and cry and incredibly my appointnent to the childrens panel ( wtf ??? ) to strenthen what was never debateable. I expected pelters for those opinions of course but some forum users thought my opinion warranted abuse. Really ? Or speak about things that had nothing to do with the subject, bans or childrens panel again really. ???"

Not fake tears.

What abuse did you get on here then? You need to man up and not be such a snowflake.

Blantyre

"Best Andy Murray quote

Anyone playing England.

Yep its funny when some people make a comment and not when others make the same comment. A thread a wee while ago during the world cup forum users were slaughtered for out dated comments like we support anyone that is playing england. As for diggung heels in , twice this comment has been used ?? Oldie i have NO argument to push through ?? I have agreed with all the comments on here multiple times lol. In my OPINION , him hiding behind a hat crying fake tears was cringeworthy, no argument would change that view and i cant dig my heels in any deeper either. You can only agree or disagree as some have done. Everyone else has added mental health, dunblane tragedy, its ok to be a man and cry and incredibly my appointnent to the childrens panel ( wtf ??? ) to strenthen what was never debateable. I expected pelters for those opinions of course but some forum users thought my opinion warranted abuse. Really ? Or speak about things that had nothing to do with the subject, bans or childrens panel again really. ???

Not fake tears.

What abuse did you get on here then? You need to man up and not be such a snowflake. "

The kind tgat gets removed from a thread bud.

Blantyre

"

"

I hope he will be seen around the world crying tears of joy this time , perhaps sending the RIGHT message to young people that you CAN actually overcome tough times instead of sending a false message that life is over after a tragic event or injury.

A wee snippet from the media.:

Andy Murray says winning a doubles title five months after thinking his career might be over is more special than many of his singles wins.

Murray and Feliciano Lopez beat Joe Salisbury and Rajeev Ram 7-6 (8-6) 5-7 10-5 in the Queen's final on Sunday.

Former world number one Murray had a hip resurfacing operation - from which no-one has ever returned to play singles - in January.

"I've won with a metal hip. It is mental really," the 32-year-old said.

Murray had the resurfacing operation - where the femur head is smoothed and capped with metal - just 157 days before he returned to competitive action at the west London club last week.

That came shortly after he broke down in tears at the Australian Open, saying he thought he would not be able to continue playing if he had the operation

He has learned the hard way what a bitch the media can be so tends to be tight lipped. He is a competitor for whom being second is failure- which is required to be the success he is- so it matters hugely to him to win, so much that that’s when his guard falls.

Anyone who saw him hug his terrier and cry when talking about his primary school saw in to the real Andy. Otherwise, the public will never actually ‘know’ him.

By *ortland51Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Absolutely delighted for him, very arguably Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson, his achievements have been phenomenal and it's great to see him back competing.

You've clearly never thought you'd have to give up something you love...

Blantyre

"You've clearly never thought you'd have to give up something you love..."

"Thought" being the key word here, sinderella. Hes just proven my original point of posting this thread 24 weeks ago. He is a role model and he went on tv blubbering away hiding in his hat, look at him now . All happy that hes fought through his injury and won another tournament. As i said 24 weeks ago , his life in tennis was far from over. Ps whilst i dont like the guy i still congratulate him on his latest achievement. Lets hope he now comes back and every tournament he enters and win or lose, he is humble enough to admit he was wrong 24 weeks ago by bubbling about his life being over . Now that would be an inspiration to young people and would get my respect . With millions in the bank he wont really care if hes respected or not anyway though .

"You've clearly never thought you'd have to give up something you love...

"Thought" being the key word here, sinderella. Hes just proven my original point of posting this thread 24 weeks ago. He is a role model and he went on tv blubbering away hiding in his hat, look at him now . All happy that hes fought through his injury and won another tournament. As i said 24 weeks ago , his life in tennis was far from over. Ps whilst i dont like the guy i still congratulate him on his latest achievement. Lets hope he now comes back and every tournament he enters and win or lose, he is humble enough to admit he was wrong 24 weeks ago by bubbling about his life being over . Now that would be an inspiration to young people and would get my respect . With millions in the bank he wont really care if hes respected or not anyway though . "

I'm pretty sure his life will go on just fine whether you respect him or not

By *tsallthesame77Woman  over a year ago

edinburgh

I’m sorry but WHAT!!!!

I can only imagine the amount of pain he was in, but having watched a relative who was a professional sports person have to give in admit defeat and give up their career that was their life a lot sooner than they’d have liked, it was not cringeworthy at all.

When you’ve done nothing else since such a young age, it’s hard not get emotional about it. They are humans not robots.

"Andy Murray blubbering like a teenage kid in front of the worlds media . Give me strengthen.

No Appologies for this one guys, he needs to man up. "

This, plus all the bollocks about ‘snowflake society’ is a fantastic illustration of a massive problem. Telling a man to ‘man up’ for daring to have emotions, for feeling anything, and for showing it is tragic.

Be some out-of-date Neanderthal if you like, but get over thinking that you can tell others how to feel or act. It has nothing to do with you. ‘Snowflake’ use is usually an excellent indicator of narrowmindedness and a desire to impose a way of thinking on others.

Good on him for caring and for showing it. It has nothing to do with his bank account, retirement option etc. Telling someone infinitely stronger, fitter and more successful to ‘man up’ is cringeworthy.

Well said. The OP comes across as jealous and envious of his wealth tbh.

This was indeed a thread that lived up to its name. I'd hoped not to see it again.

By *uzzy-LogicMan  over a year ago

Fochabers

I feel bad for him, it's hard when something that is such a large part of your life and sence of identity is taken away from you by injury or illness.

It's part of his life that he will miss for a long time. Just cause he has millions doesn't take away from his feelings, it will make it easier to deal with though.

» Add a new message to this topic