FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

For the past 6 months and going through something so horrific that I still can't believe it has happened I came across and have been listening to Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side Of The Moon.

I can honestly say hand on heart that it's gotten me through the hardest time in my life, it's such a wonderful album full of amazing and beautiful songs and I recommend anyone who hasn't listened to it to take the time to do, I promise you you won't regret it.

My question is is there a favourite song/album that you turn to in your hour of need that gets you through that day when all you want to do is give up and end it all once and for all? .

Sorry if this thread is depressing for some but maybe it might allow the stigma of chatting about grief,heartache and loss can maybe help someone who may need it today or tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Individual songs rather than a specific album or style of music does this for me. Been listening to a lot of Prince's older stuff lately though. What a guy....There's a version of The Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony recorded live at the BBC which I listened to over and over when I was feeling a bit shite last year. It's amazing.

You should listen to The Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb. Completely difference from Pink Floyd obviously but brilliant on full blast for dancing and hoovering

"Individual songs rather than a specific album or style of music does this for me. Been listening to a lot of Prince's older stuff lately though. What a guy....There's a version of The Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony recorded live at the BBC which I listened to over and over when I was feeling a bit shite last year. It's amazing.

You should listen to The Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb. Completely difference from Pink Floyd obviously but brilliant on full blast for dancing and hoovering "

Love listening to Prince aswell such a brilliant performer, I will certainly listen to scissor sisters version of comfortably numb though, thanks for the heads up

I can't say I've felt like giving up and ending it all....ever.

So no, I don't have a go to song for that

"I can't say I've felt like giving up and ending it all....ever.

So no, I don't have a go to song for that"

Well I hope you are never in that position but unfortunately some people are.

Like the above poster, never felt like giving up but when I feel like shit "throwing Copper" by Live or any of mettalicas stuff from the late 70s and 80s does the trick.

"Like the above poster, never felt like giving up but when I feel like shit "throwing Copper" by Live or any of mettalicas stuff from the late 70s and 80s does the trick. "

Not a huge fan of Metallica's songs but will definitely give them a listen to.

By *esparate danMan  over a year ago

glasgow

"Like the above poster, never felt like giving up but when I feel like shit "throwing Copper" by Live or any of mettalicas stuff from the late 70s and 80s does the trick.

Not a huge fan of Metallica's songs but will definitely give them a listen to. "

Dont listen to any from the late 70s

Pink Floyd The Wall is my 'go to' album. I found the film on video when I was about 6! I watched it relentlessly growing up and psycho-analysed the crap out of every lyric of every song.

"Pink Floyd The Wall is my 'go to' album. I found the film on video when I was about 6! I watched it relentlessly growing up and psycho-analysed the crap out of every lyric of every song.

"

I would have been 5 years old when the album came out so never heard it fully until only recently but as I am now at 50 I can appreciate every song, every lyric and it's meaning, such an amazing album and the greatest gig in the sky is up there as one of the best songs ever.

"Pink Floyd The Wall is my 'go to' album. I found the film on video when I was about 6! I watched it relentlessly growing up and psycho-analysed the crap out of every lyric of every song.

I would have been 5 years old when the album came out so never heard it fully until only recently but as I am now at 50 I can appreciate every song, every lyric and it's meaning, such an amazing album and the greatest gig in the sky is up there as one of the best songs ever. "

I was still in my maws ovary when The Wall was released (I'm 35)

That album is part of my soul though.

I do love all floyd music but I’d say my go to album is Lionel Richie as it just soothes me and when I was pregnant with my eldes he seemed to enjoy when I listened to it and my son is definitely and old head on young shoulders

By *ye rolls matter!!Man  over a year ago

Glasgow area

If i need to escape reality for a wee while with music its Metallica S&M album for me.

By *ade and VanessaCouple  over a year ago

Central Scotland

I've never listened to it all so will need to give it a play I think.

The Verve's urban hymns was a favourite and still is but will make me cry - sometimes that's what's needed though.

Counting Crows' August and everything after has always been a go to and manages to let me have a cry but put me in a far better mood and frame of mind too. I'd forgotten how much I loved it and their version of the blues run the game until I heard a different one in a film just at the weekend

V x

By *ugs and JunkCouple  over a year ago

Bellshill

My go to is Radiohead the bends. Specifically the track fake plastic trees

Mrs

My go to album is The Wall or Pulse

Pulse is a double album recorded live

The second side is Dark Side of the Moon live.

"I've never listened to it all so will need to give it a play I think.

The Verve's urban hymns was a favourite and still is but will make me cry - sometimes that's what's needed though.

Counting Crows' August and everything after has always been a go to and manages to let me have a cry but put me in a far better mood and frame of mind too. I'd forgotten how much I loved it and their version of the blues run the game until I heard a different one in a film just at the weekend

V x"

The Drugs Don't Work makes me cry. Beautiful song.

V x"

I need to give Counting Crows again, haven't heard that in ages but I agree with the Verve they are a great band x

"My go to album is The Wall or Pulse

Pulse is a double album recorded live

The second side is Dark Side of the Moon live. "

Have to agree with you there, Pulse is amazing live

V x

The Drugs Don't Work makes me cry. Beautiful song."

great song even today it still sounds as if it was only released.

"My go to is Radiohead the bends. Specifically the track fake plastic trees

Mrs"

The bends is also one of my all time favourites!

By *hatsmynameagainCouple  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Can't say I've ever felt like giving up but Ride the Lightning by metallica is my go to album.

Been listening to The Offsprings early stuff recently. I forgot how good a band they used to be.

Mr

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Music is solitary each track can mean diffrent things to diffrent people the one form of music that carries nothing for me is generic three beat teenie bop garbage .......baby baby baby ohhhhh

"Like the above poster, never felt like giving up but when I feel like shit "throwing Copper" by Live or any of mettalicas stuff from the late 70s and 80s does the trick. "

Kinda hard to listen to late 70s Metallica stuff..... as they formed in 81

was fortunate to see pink Floyd play DSOTM live in 1974 - incredible experience and a mind blowing album

45 years on I listen to it regularly

wonderful songs like us and them

"Like the above poster, never felt like giving up but when I feel like shit "throwing Copper" by Live or any of mettalicas stuff from the late 70s and 80s does the trick.

Kinda hard to listen to late 70s Metallica stuff..... as they formed in 81 "

My typos are a bit of a running joke. Oops. I. Obviously meant early 80s and nineties. The later stuff isn't as good. I should proof read.

By *erriAnneTV/TS  over a year ago

The shire

Pink Floyd=shite. Music for the non musical and sounds for the deaf!!! Won't be missed when they've gone

"Pink Floyd=shite. Music for the non musical and sounds for the deaf!!! Won't be missed when they've gone "

.......... you should maybe actually listen to them sometime. They are musical geniuses! Roger watters & Dave Gilmour have more talent in thier pinky nails than you'll hope to have in your entire existence

By *ildfire1212Man  over a year ago

fife

Mrs"

Yes definitely my number 1 Album of all time and easily to 10/5 on any national album and probably the best thing about this album and one to fall back on was there was no tragedy or anything that would put a dark cloud on it ,,, however top track

Black star ??

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Wish you were here makes me cry

"Wish you were here makes me cry "

You don't have to wish.. But if I were there you probably would still be crying..

I do have a soft spot for Pink Floyd's Division Bell album and especially high hopes that closes it out. Was introduced to it by a pal and is always one I turn to

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Wish you were here makes me cry

You don't have to wish.. But if I were there you probably would still be crying.. "

You’d make me cry!!! What a bully!

"Pink Floyd=shite. Music for the non musical and sounds for the deaf!!! Won't be missed when they've gone

.......... you should maybe actually listen to them sometime. They are musical geniuses! Roger watters & Dave Gilmour have more talent in thier pinky nails than you'll hope to have in your entire existence "

I think they're shite too . Was scunnered at a young age as my Dad listened to them non stop.

By *ouise and jamieCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

Dark side is an amazing album as is pulse, I’m a massive fan of pink floyd and was lucky enough to go to Earl’s Court 1994 for the division bell tour where they played the full dark side of the moon ?? set, has to be one of the best gigs I’ve ever seen.

"Wish you were here makes me cry

You don't have to wish.. But if I were there you probably would still be crying..

You’d make me cry!!! What a bully! "

You'd either cry with laughter... Or cry "wtf am I doing here with him" (probably the latter to be fair).

By *hatsmynameagainCouple  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Kinda hard to listen to late 70s Metallica stuff..... as they formed in 81

My typos are a bit of a running joke. Oops. I. Obviously meant early 80s and nineties. The later stuff isn't as good. I should proof read. "

Hardwired is really good as is death magnetic.

Only album in my opinon thats not very good was St Anger.

Mr

By *anon6dMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

jeezo someone else knows live. How that band was not big in the UK I'll never know. Great album one of my all time fav album .

"Like the above poster, never felt like giving up but when I feel like shit "throwing Copper" by Live or any of mettalicas stuff from the late 70s and 80s does the trick. jeezo someone else knows live. How that band was not big in the UK I'll never know. Great album one of my all time fav album ."

Yip... I love it.. Secret samhedi was not bad just not as epic.

Edinburgh

"Like the above poster, never felt like giving up but when I feel like shit "throwing Copper" by Live or any of mettalicas stuff from the late 70s and 80s does the trick. jeezo someone else knows live. How that band was not big in the UK I'll never know. Great album one of my all time fav album .

Yip... I love it.. Secret samhedi was not bad just not as epic. "

throwing copper is the only one I listened too. Have you heard Alive by pearl jam. It's on the rounds just now. I thought it was live at first when I heard it.

Dark Side Of The Moon is incredible...Time is my favourite off that album, really dies send shivers down my spine. The Division Bell is another favourite of mine too, listen to the track Marooned & Coming Back To Life, Gilmour’s guitar work is sublime.

Other albums I gravitate to time and time again are The Smashing Pumpkins “Siamese Dream” & Massive Attack’s “Mezzanine” album.

By *hilhendersonMan  over a year ago

aberdeen

dark side is a awesome album..i remember when i was young and my uncle came to stay with us for a wee bit..i came home from school one day and he had it on...i came in just as time started..it had a huge effect on me .i mustve been about 9 or 10 and i can remember thinking"thank fuck.someone else gets it!!, someone else feels this way too"..

i have to say though..the scissor sisters version of comb numb...gads...they should have their nipples wired to the mains and beaten with a knotted rope for doing that..in saying that i hate the original version too..the wall sounds too moany for me

"Like the above poster, never felt like giving up but when I feel like shit "throwing Copper" by Live or any of mettalicas stuff from the late 70s and 80s does the trick. jeezo someone else knows live. How that band was not big in the UK I'll never know. Great album one of my all time fav album .

Yip... I love it.. Secret samhedi was not bad just not as epic. throwing copper is the only one I listened too. Have you heard Alive by pearl jam. It's on the rounds just now. I thought it was live at first when I heard it.

"

No I will have a listen.. Do like pearl jam though.

By *ade and VanessaCouple  over a year ago

Central Scotland

So many good songs and albums on this thread

By *erriAnneTV/TS  over a year ago

The shire

"Pink Floyd=shite. Music for the non musical and sounds for the deaf!!! Won't be missed when they've gone

.......... you should maybe actually listen to them sometime. They are musical geniuses! Roger watters & Dave Gilmour have more talent in thier pinky nails than you'll hope to have in your entire existence "

I have listened and still think theyre shite. How the hell would you know what I hope to have in my existence???

Edinburgh

Yip... I love it.. Secret samhedi was not bad just not as epic. throwing copper is the only one I listened too. Have you heard Alive by pearl jam. It's on the rounds just now. I thought it was live at first when I heard it.

No I will have a listen.. Do like pearl jam though. "

yeah tell me what you think.

By *eep.Man  over a year ago

Just a background character

Search for 'Foo Fighters Times Like These Acoustic' (on you tube).

You won't regret it

By *ikilovesCCouple  over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

Yes a true classic that tarzan, we were fortunate to see them in concert many years ago

If I'm needing a cheering up though, anything 80's would do me lol

By *ad bod000Man  over a year ago

Evanton

Pink floyd the best band I've ever seen live

Dark side of the moon is one of their best albums

If you are looking for an amazing but sad song, it would be Hurt by Johnny Cash for me.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Deep Purple - Child in Time. Played it constantly during the beeak up with me and my partner of 25yrs. Was well aware of the hurt i was causing to those i loved most but i could not stay any longer and had to go. We only live once and sometimes we have to be selfish and put our own needs first.

"Search for 'Foo Fighters Times Like These Acoustic' (on you tube).

You won't regret it

"

You won't regret it

"

Travis got me through a tough time , also short stories by Jon and Vangelis , Fleetwood Mac when needing uplifted

Love pink Floyd and I have my original record still play when lyinging a dark room loud

Dark Side of the moon is my favourite album.of all time.

The live version of Great Gig in The Sky on Th Pulse Album/DVD has Sam Browne singing it and it's truly spine tingling.

So many more great albums and songs but recently Kate Tempest- Let Them Eat Chaos has been an incredibly moving album. A bit leftfield but it's of our time and place.

?

You won't regret it

Travis got me through a tough time , also short stories by Jon and Vangelis , Fleetwood Mac when needing uplifted

Love pink Floyd and I have my original record still play when lyinging a dark room loud "

Wouldnt mind a chance in hearing that original record one night lol

"If you are looking for an amazing but sad song, it would be Hurt by Johnny Cash for me."

Heard it for the 1st time last night, have to say it is an amazing song by one of the all time great artists

Mrs"

Never felt like jacking it in, and I turn to different music for different moods, but agree with this. Radiohead, The Bends is my no.1 album.

"For the past 6 months and going through something so horrific that I still can't believe it has happened I came across and have been listening to Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side Of The Moon.

I can honestly say hand on heart that it's gotten me through the hardest time in my life, it's such a wonderful album full of amazing and beautiful songs and I recommend anyone who hasn't listened to it to take the time to do, I promise you you won't regret it.

My question is is there a favourite song/album that you turn to in your hour of need that gets you through that day when all you want to do is give up and end it all once and for all? .

Sorry if this thread is depressing for some but maybe it might allow the stigma of chatting about grief,heartache and loss can maybe help someone who may need it today or tomorrow.

Thanks for reading."

I bought all the re-issued studio albums a couple of years ago and have been listening to them a lot, they’re not getting me through a bad time, but that have been taking me back to some good times and bringing back a lot of good memories

I love me a bit of Floyd, but my choice would be "Wish you were here". As for Waters, the wall & the final cunt, I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. I hate those albums, and wish he'd got help for his issues instead of makin them.

"For the past 6 months and going through something so horrific that I still can't believe it has happened I came across and have been listening to Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side Of The Moon.

Thanks for reading."

If you like that album you should search for "Roger Waters" - "In the flesh" album, and listen the the amazing voice of Katie Kissoon singing Mother.

also Doyle Bramhall II plays amazing guitar, mind blowing

if you buy full in the flesh cd, you also get dvd with it

Thanks for reading.

If you like that album you should search for "Roger Waters" - "In the flesh" album, and listen the the amazing voice of Katie Kissoon singing Mother.

also Doyle Bramhall II plays amazing guitar, mind blowing

if you buy full in the flesh cd, you also get dvd with it"

Actually the best version of mother by a long way, that was quite a line up for the in the flesh tour

» Add a new message to this topic