FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Gardening

Gardening

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *MCFUN5 OP   Couple  over a year ago

GLASGOW

I’m an amateur gardener and just wondered what’s the first thing you pro’s do to start getting the garden ready now that it’s spring time?

Last year I had such enjoyment from planting small plants and watching them grow through the summer and I overcame my fear of bees by realising they were just coming in and out of our garden doing their job and not to attack me lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Cut the grass probably

I buy my hanging baskets and pots all ready made

If you are into fruit and veg now is the time to plant. Cut down and back, old bushes and dead stalks to allow regrowth. Bit early for ing but good time to plant

By *earded blossomCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Cutting away most of our garden this year as can't be bothered with it so possibly starting new but installing a bee hive as bees are the only reason I have certain things in the garden

John

"Cutting away most of our garden this year as can't be bothered with it so possibly starting new but installing a bee hive as bees are the only reason I have certain things in the garden

John "

Love wee bees.....burnt several dinners last year as I was distracted out the back trying to save the wee buggers with sugar and water.

GLASGOW

Great tips - I honestly can’t believe how fascinating I found bees last year. Been scared of them stinging me for years and now I’m choosing plants for my garden especially for them

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

The bulbs are coming through, I take particular joy in their flowers. Only thing I've a tree at the back of the garden that gives a beautiful red flower if you treat it nice.

I think that warm weekend and snow last week has given it a wee shock.

GLASGOW

"Cutting away most of our garden this year as can't be bothered with it so possibly starting new but installing a bee hive as bees are the only reason I have certain things in the garden

John

Love wee bees.....burnt several dinners last year as I was distracted out the back trying to save the wee buggers with sugar and water."

Same, I was entranced watching one bury itself inside a peony. Videoed it on slow mo and it was amazing

"I’m an amateur gardener and just wondered what’s the first thing you pro’s do to start getting the garden ready now that it’s spring time?

Last year I had such enjoyment from planting small plants and watching them grow through the summer and I overcame my fear of bees by realising they were just coming in and out of our garden doing their job and not to attack me lol"

I’m the worlds worst gardener lol I decked most of my garden and put a few potted plants out previously my rabbits would eat half of the flowers but now don’t have any they’ve all passed away so see what this year brings, os for me it starts with cutting grass, jet washing the decking and slabs and binning all the neighbours rubbish that seems to get blown into my garden also got a hutch to get rid of and move the shed and build a new shed/shelter of sorts for my motorbike and get an anchor put in, then maybe I might try planting some new bulbs lol oh and need a new bbq the tiles blew off the roof and smashed mine up and my chimney too lol

GLASGOW

"I’m an amateur gardener and just wondered what’s the first thing you pro’s do to start getting the garden ready now that it’s spring time?

Last year I had such enjoyment from planting small plants and watching them grow through the summer and I overcame my fear of bees by realising they were just coming in and out of our garden doing their job and not to attack me lol

I’m the worlds worst gardener lol I decked most of my garden and put a few potted plants out previously my rabbits would eat half of the flowers but now don’t have any they’ve all passed away so see what this year brings, os for me it starts with cutting grass, jet washing the decking and slabs and binning all the neighbours rubbish that seems to get blown into my garden also got a hutch to get rid of and move the shed and build a new shed/shelter of sorts for my motorbike and get an anchor put in, then maybe I might try planting some new bulbs lol oh and need a new bbq the tiles blew off the roof and smashed mine up and my chimney too lol "

Wow that’s quite a To Do list, I hope you enjoy creating a new garden x

By *stonDBS2Man  over a year ago

Kirkcaldy

Grass starts to grow when the soil its in heats up,been mild/warmer than usual for time of year,cut it but not too short,not as short as you would in summertime.

That’s just the back lol then there’s the front but I don’t bother too much with that lol the back is my summer sanctuary when there is sun, oh and my furniture is all teal so needs painted got sick or sanding and oiling each year, hot tub getting filled soon too

GLASGOW

"That’s just the back lol then there’s the front but I don’t bother too much with that lol the back is my summer sanctuary when there is sun, oh and my furniture is all teal so needs painted got sick or sanding and oiling each year, hot tub getting filled soon too "

I love my back garden too although after 4pm we move to our wee front patio usuall with a bottle of red and we get to enjoy the last of the sun til about 8pm x

"That’s just the back lol then there’s the front but I don’t bother too much with that lol the back is my summer sanctuary when there is sun, oh and my furniture is all teal so needs painted got sick or sanding and oiling each year, hot tub getting filled soon too

I love my back garden too although after 4pm we move to our wee front patio usuall with a bottle of red and we get to enjoy the last of the sun til about 8pm x"

I’m really lucky my garden gets the very early morning sun right up till evening because of the size of it so there’s always sun somewhere in the garden I’ve seen myself sunbathing from 10-6 in the middle of the garden at height of the good weather and not having to move very much apart from readjust the sun lounger

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"That’s just the back lol then there’s the front but I don’t bother too much with that lol the back is my summer sanctuary when there is sun, oh and my furniture is all teal so needs painted got sick or sanding and oiling each year, hot tub getting filled soon too

I love my back garden too although after 4pm we move to our wee front patio usuall with a bottle of red and we get to enjoy the last of the sun til about 8pm x"

Nothing better than after a good day in the garden when the sun is shining...sitting back with a comfort drink and thinking....Aye that looks good hehe

By *irth VaderMan  over a year ago

Kintore

Cut the grass but not too low just yet. Get rid on all the leaves left from autumn and scarify your lawn with a springbok (wire) rake or machine.

I use my mower to remove the residual leaves from the garden.

Aeriate your lawn with a garden fork to allow better drainage if your lawn is susceptible to standing water.

I know where to find my honey this year then

Treat ur borders/shrubs like your self GMC - a wee gentle manicure for budding will be prefect!

applying some fert to your lawn won't do it any harm either

GLASGOW

"I know where to find my honey this year then

Treat ur borders/shrubs like your self GMC - a wee gentle manicure for budding will be prefect!

applying some fert to your lawn won't do it any harm either "

You’re too cute

Thank you for the tips. Are the lambs on their way? X

By *lik69Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Well spring is about , I would suggest good bit of pruning, cut back but not to close make all growth even in height and we tidy up . Now you have to think about irrigation most important so any grove or divits that need attention I would do so nice clean channels , them I would temporarily cover with cotton or linen pants but not to tight , circulation is just as important. Then you are guaranteed a nice summer bush

Beach G garden tip

I’m not much into gardening, in fact I’ve slabbed my window boxes

GLASGOW

"Well spring is about , I would suggest good bit of pruning, cut back but not to close make all growth even in height and we tidy up . Now you have to think about irrigation most important so any grove or divits that need attention I would do so nice clean channels , them I would temporarily cover with cotton or linen pants but not to tight , circulation is just as important. Then you are guaranteed a nice summer bush

Beach G garden tip

"

Grass got its first cut of the year back during the god weather at the end of February, mosskiller down then and forked front and back lawns then too, ready for the real grass cutting season!

By *atureMale321Man  over a year ago

Moray

Just back from B&Q planted out some hanging baskets ! Not sure if they are well hung but think they will do the job ??

By *ortland51Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Not in to gardening, but did recently spend 12 weeks on gardening leave. It was bliss!

By *eiaorganaWoman  over a year ago

Dundee

Following with interest, I have no clue about gardening and really need to overhaul mine. Just want to rip it all out and start again.

I start by picking up all the dog shit accumulated over the winter.

Surprisingly I'm not in a huge rush to start that chore....

I always service the ‘wifes’ lawnmower and buy her some grass feed!

"I start by picking up all the dog shit accumulated over the winter.

Surprisingly I'm not in a huge rush to start that chore...."

You're best doing it when they're still frozen. Just scrape the wee walnut whips right up in a oner and into the bin.

You're best doing it when they're still frozen. Just scrape the wee walnut whips right up in a oner and into the bin."

Oh aye, I'm well aware of this. But I'll still put it off till spring time every single year.

By *irth VaderMan  over a year ago

Kintore

"Following with interest, I have no clue about gardening and really need to overhaul mine. Just want to rip it all out and start again."

I’d offer to help but I’m too old

By *eren and LuthienCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Omg I love my garden

Have done the first cut of the year and Scarified to have a beautiful green lawn and get rid of any s. Getting all the plugs ready to go into greenhouse and start to pick out plants for all my planters baskets and Rock garden.

By *nnesMan  over a year ago

dundee

Just get everything ready clean your pots and trays if you have some heat bring your seeds on dig your patch over and get ready for planting early April to early to be planting anything yet

By *nnesMan  over a year ago

dundee

I grow dahlias and sweet peas mostly for shows

GLASGOW

You're best doing it when they're still frozen. Just scrape the wee walnut whips right up in a oner and into the bin."

Love this lol x

GLASGOW

"Just get everything ready clean your pots and trays if you have some heat bring your seeds on dig your patch over and get ready for planting early April to early to be planting anything yet"

Great tips - thank you x

» Add a new message to this topic