FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Wine

Wine

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eterjamesmc OP   Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Ive drank a bottle of wine every day pretty much for at least the last 15 years. Very few times when i havent. I like a bottle with dinner and if im not having dinner it helps me sleep as im an insomniac. My question is ...is this excessive? My dad reckoned you were only an alcoholic if you drank more than your doctor. Needless to say im bored and wanted some human interaction.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Thats approx £35 a week on wine. Thats £140 a month

glasgow

Yes but i dont always have to buy it myself. Its on my rider!

Glasgow

Guess it depends on how strong the wine is.

glasgow

I drank one that was 11.5 once and was really annoyed!

Glasgow

I would say if u drank a bottle daily for that length of time you maybe have an addiction to it. Try going a few days wine free and see what happens.

glasgow

I do. I dont miss it. I dont get the shakes or dts. I just prefer a day with wine than a day without. Im not physically addicted but probably mentally so. No hangover unless i have an extra glass but that is very rare. I dont drink spirits. I dont drink beer. I think there may be a bit of french in me somewhere!

Glasgow

Oh well just enjoy it then.

glasgow

I think i will.and continue to do so. Opening the second bottle because after 1 hour sleep last night i dont have to get up at 5 tomorrow! Go me!

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

The new govt recommendation is 14 units a week a standard bottle of 12% or 13% is 5 - 6 units so your on at least 35 units a week . I’d say you should look to reduce your input . See someone about it .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The new govt recommendation is 14 units a week a standard bottle of 12% or 13% is 5 - 6 units so your on at least 35 units a week . I’d say you should look to reduce your input . See someone about it . "

10 units in a bottle of wine

Op it's not great for your liver. It's your life though, do as you wish and feel compliments your life.

By *mudg3rMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Worth a blood test to check on your liver, bud. There are no obvious symptoms of a problem until it’s real bad.

And, of course, unlike our other organs, liver can repair itself.

If it's buckfast you're a rip roaring jakeball

By *ittlemissnaughtybutniceWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

You sound like you are bragging OP. It's certainly is excessive! And nothing to be proud of. 1 day without is not going to cause shakes or DTs. But thanks for sharing. Private notes come in handy again.

R

By *ab femWoman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

If you feel you need it to help you sleep then it sounds like a problem. One bottle a day is excessive

Ayrshire

"If it's buckfast you're a rip roaring jakeball "

Seems excessive to me.. But I really hope you don't drive

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Mate

Think about involving a support service in your life. In the nicest way and we all like a drink...if your drinking to sleep, you shouldn't have to.

Hope your future works out.

If your drinking a bottle of wine a day 365 days a year you have a serious problem.

Aside from insomnia which believe it or not may be caused by excessive wine consumption

Your liver, kidney and colon function maybe be severely damaged and although the liver can cure itself, it can’t if it’s getting pickled every day.

Not to mention the sugar content in a bottle may lead to serious diabetes problems

E.K . Glasgow

"The new govt recommendation is 14 units a week a standard bottle of 12% or 13% is 5 - 6 units so your on at least 35 units a week . I’d say you should look to reduce your input . See someone about it .

Op it's not great for your liver. It's your life though, do as you wish and feel compliments your life."

As a non drinker I was just going with the 4 glasses from a bottle about 1.5 units a glass have now seen while in Asda it can be from 8 units and upwards . All wines I’ve tried taste like vinegar to me folk laugh at the faces I pull when I try a sip .

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

In answer to your question - yes. Yes it is. You need help as described above. Good luck.

"The new govt recommendation is 14 units a week a standard bottle of 12% or 13% is 5 - 6 units so your on at least 35 units a week . I’d say you should look to reduce your input . See someone about it .

Op it's not great for your liver. It's your life though, do as you wish and feel compliments your life.

As a non drinker I was just going with the 4 glasses from a bottle about 1.5 units a glass have now seen while in Asda it can be from 8 units and upwards . All wines I’ve tried taste like vinegar to me folk laugh at the faces I pull when I try a sip . "

You need to buy better wine if that’s the case

By *TBSMan  over a year ago

close enough

Tea, you need tea.

Michael, head barman Dundee Temperance Movement.

By *ortland51Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Loving all the addiction experts on this thread.

Glasgow

"Loving all the addiction experts on this thread. "

I've actually been on the receiving end of the "1 bottle a night"!

R

E.K . Glasgow

"Loving all the addiction experts on this thread.

R "

I’ve seen how long term alcohol use damages someone .

Glasgow

"Loving all the addiction experts on this thread.

R

I’ve seen how long term alcohol use damages someone . "

I couldn't care less how it damages them! It's the damage it does to everyone else.

R

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

"Loving all the addiction experts on this thread. "

Presumably you’ve no idea what any of our experiences in this area are - who we are, what we do, what we know? Or maybe you weren’t being sarcastic?

Hate to ask this but do you even still have a liver? x

I think if you need to ask this question the issues are far deeper than just a bottle a night

glasgow

Prior to having major dental work in vietnam 6 months ago i underwent a full and comprehensive medical . I was better than average in every function and test result. No , i dont know how either!

"Prior to having major dental work in vietnam 6 months ago i underwent a full and comprehensive medical . I was better than average in every function and test result. No , i dont know how either! "

A medical in Vietnam totally legit doctors there my friend I'd go with that

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

"I do. I dont miss it. I dont get the shakes or dts. I just prefer a day with wine than a day without. Im not physically addicted but probably mentally so. No hangover unless i have an extra glass but that is very rare. I dont drink spirits. I dont drink beer. I think there may be a bit of french in me somewhere!"

Don’t drink spirits? Shots of tequila don’t count

"I do. I dont miss it. I dont get the shakes or dts. I just prefer a day with wine than a day without. Im not physically addicted but probably mentally so. No hangover unless i have an extra glass but that is very rare. I dont drink spirits. I dont drink beer. I think there may be a bit of french in me somewhere!

Don’t drink spirits? Shots of tequila don’t count "

I prefer turpentine it seems to have the desired effect of tequila and a hellava lot cheaper

Think he wanted someone to ask him about the rider comment. He must be a celebrity.

Anyway. Little and often can't hurt. Can it? :-/

In some countries a glass of wine each evening with a meal is normal and they’re usually only 4% , a bottle each evening perhaps a bit excessive, my own personal opinion is even if it’s every Friday night you have a bottle then that’s a habit, if it’s now and then with no real pattern to it then I don’t see a problem with it. I’d much rather enjoy a cuppa tea tbh I’m not a great fan of alcohol and think it’s the worst drug out there

And don’t forget when you’re home and you’re out with us lot at cjs etc it’s way more than a bottle of wine you’re knocking cause you’re always rolling ?!? But the job you do and the people you work for that’s a short lived lifestyle for many of them ? They don’t tour 365 days a year and look how many burn out after a few years, tbh most chefs I know are alcoholics

glasgow

[Removed by poster at 28/06/19 22:33:27]

glasgow

Ever been to vietnam my friend? They put the uk to shame!

"Ever been to vietnam my friend? They put the uk to shame!"

Yes my friend I actually have ( two years ago ) and trust me as beautiful a place as it was I’ll take my chances here going private

glasgow

If you know the place why throw shade? As a son of a doctor im aware of the quality of service in this country whether public or private. I would rather go to the top dentists and doctors in vietnam than go private in the uk. Thats my choice. Yours is yours.

"If you know the place why throw shade? As a son of a doctor im aware of the quality of service in this country whether public or private. I would rather go to the top dentists and doctors in vietnam than go private in the uk. Thats my choice. Yours is yours. "

My choice is also not to soften a bottle of vino each evening and then ask our advice!! I think your thread is a reach out tbf not that you’d admit it but hey ho

Glasgow

"If you know the place why throw shade? As a son of a doctor im aware of the quality of service in this country whether public or private. I would rather go to the top dentists and doctors in vietnam than go private in the uk. Thats my choice. Yours is yours. "

And as the son of a doctor you should be well aware of the recommended safe alcohol limits & the strains alcohol excess puts on the health service.

R

glasgow

Mebbes aye mebbes naw. I was bored and wanted to know others opinion from outwith my small circle which has different rules granted. As the killie fans sing theres only one way of life and thats jerome!

"Tea, you need tea.

Michael, head barman Dundee Temperance Movement. "

glasgow

Miss naughty. I appreciate your comment but again as the son of a doctor i have used the nhs probably 3 times in my life. Unrelated to wine. X

glasgow

I do need tea!

Tbf in all honesty I think you need help as this post has gone!! I don’t think alcohol is the answer and definitely not the route of the problem so I suggest a wee chat with the doc and maybe a wee counselling session lad

glasgow

Oh yes. Johny? I may have made some bad life choices over the years but you know what? I dont live in Larkhall! Lol!

Tbf neither do I !! I left the Vegas of south Lanarkshire and moved to the Clyde valley but postcode only shows as Larkhall

I think the term is functioning alcoholic.

You say your dad is a doctor? What's his opinion on someone drinking a bottle of wine every. single. day.

Not something he'd recommend, I'm sure.

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Simple answer yes its way to much

"Tbf neither do I !! I left the Vegas of south Lanarkshire and moved to the Clyde valley but postcode only shows as Larkhall "

The last I checked - the Clyde Valley was in South Lanarkshire.

This is not a dig btw.

glasgow

Yay! Ill go with functioning alcoholic! Ive got a label!

"Yay! Ill go with functioning alcoholic! Ive got a label!"

each to their own but you know me I’m not the biggest fan and happily teetotal for the most part, seen it wreck lives far too many times and see even now people existing and not really living because of it, no real valuable relationships to speak of, might not happen overnight but often before you know it life becomes empty and all that’s left is the alcohol. At end of the day you’re the only person who can decide when enough is enough and how much is too much, anyone with any kind of habit or addiction has to admit it to themselves and want to do something about it

When you are home I can sit and give you a full on lecture about it if you want lol

"Yay! Ill go with functioning alcoholic! Ive got a label!

each to their own but you know me I’m not the biggest fan and happily teetotal for the most part, seen it wreck lives far too many times and see even now people existing and not really living because of it, no real valuable relationships to speak of, might not happen overnight but often before you know it life becomes empty and all that’s left is the alcohol. At end of the day you’re the only person who can decide when enough is enough and how much is too much, anyone with any kind of habit or addiction has to admit it to themselves and want to do something about it

When you are home I can sit and give you a full on lecture about it if you want lol "

That sort of life is also what turns many to the drink in the first place.

Glasgow

"Yay! Ill go with functioning alcoholic! Ive got a label!"

Absolutely nothing to be proud of!!!

R

Yes it's excessive.

After reading through the thread and many peoples thoughts and OP’s reaction to some of these responses and I’ve now cane to my own conclusion!!!!

OP I don’t actually think you’re looking for advice I think you’re an actual rip roaring jakeball that needs help from others not what is on FAB can provide!!

Harsh it may sound but ......

If your asking for advice on a topic like this, more possible you've asked yourself many times. And the right answer can only honestly be given by you if its in your own thinking.

Plus your body will give you the best answer at some point.

Hoping its the latter.

I'm more interested in why you are asking. It could be possible that you think you have a problem.

You said you can go without it for days. What's the longest you have went without a drink.

Not being able to sleep without a drink could be symptoms of addiction.

At the end of the day if you are happy and you aren't hurting anyone, including yourself, keep doing what you want to do.

Ayrshire

This thread is completely pointless you don't want to hear the answer.

I actually think you started the thread to try and sound cool and it backfired

"This thread is completely pointless you don't want to hear the answer.

I actually think you started the thread to try and sound cool and it backfired "

Let’s not be to hasty here he might have some vino left that we can have

Ayrshire

Let’s not be to hasty here he might have some vino left that we can have "

Face facts, you're going to Tesco to get the carry oot

"This thread is completely pointless "

Aren't most really?

Let’s not be to hasty here he might have some vino left that we can have

Face facts, you're going to Tesco to get the carry oot"

Eh why do I have to go again it’s your turn

Ayrshire

"This thread is completely pointless

Aren't most really?"

If that's what you think what's the point in using the forums

Aren't most really?

If that's what you think what's the point in using the forums "

They're fun!

Ayrshire

Aren't most really?

If that's what you think what's the point in using the forums

They're fun!"

I think the dude wanted attention and not help with his buckfast addiction but I think he came to the wrong forum for that

I actually think you started the thread to try and sound cool and it backfired "

Like a broken pencil?....pointless

glasgow

You lot are THE most humourless people ! Why so serious?

coatbridge

[Removed by poster at 30/06/19 18:50:33]

coatbridge

"You lot are THE most humourless people ! Why so serious?"
alcholism affects more than the alkie.

The fact your asking points to you know the answer your attempt at shooting folk down who dared to say what you hoped not to hear would also get folks backs up

Ayrshire

Says the only d*unk guy at the party

By *essica jamiesonWoman  over a year ago

edinburgh

"Ive drank a bottle of wine every day pretty much for at least the last 15 years. Very few times when i havent. I like a bottle with dinner and if im not having dinner it helps me sleep as im an insomniac. My question is ...is this excessive? My dad reckoned you were only an alcoholic if you drank more than your doctor. Needless to say im bored and wanted some human interaction."
The liver is a very strange organ " im talking from experience i lost my parents thru alcoholism age 53 and 59, i remember my mum drank daily for yrs and she was able to do her every day things! Then bang! She work up jaundised it was awful the whites of her eyes were yellow! The smell was horrendous of the body breaking down! She died the next day! U see in my parents case there were no belly pains no illness at all it just happens the liver gives up and its too late! No sign of liver failure b4 hand! So u may think 1 bottle is ok im still alive i feel ok the next day! But the damage is being done quietly, id quit the drinking now give ur liver a chance to repair itself before u pass away....

Cause the least funny thing in the world is an alcholic.

edinburgh

"You lot are THE most humourless people ! Why so serious?

Cause the least funny thing in the world is an alcholic.

"

lol lol seeing someone laying dead thru drinking is sooooooo funny,why so serious? Cant believe u actually sent that...

You actually having a giraffe here OP ??

The reason people are posting what they have been is because maybe just maybe they’ve had dealings with alcoholics in their personal life and seen the effects close hand!!

For you to state that we’re humourless says it all tbf and good luck with the whole new liver thing as that’s the way it’s heading lad !!!

"I think the dude wanted attention and not help with his buckfast addiction but I think he came to the wrong forum for that "

Please don’t blame the buckfast. Those lovely monks put their heart and soul into its creation.

Blame that awful md 20/20 stuff. Devils urine

edinburgh

"I think the dude wanted attention and not help with his buckfast addiction but I think he came to the wrong forum for that

Please don’t blame the buckfast. Those lovely monks put their heart and soul into its creation. I remember 20/20 lol when i see it in my wee shop my belly does a wee flip remembering being violently ill drinking it! And also merrydown cider! Ahhhhh nooooo!! Lol

Blame that awful md 20/20 stuff. Devils urine "

"I think the dude wanted attention and not help with his buckfast addiction but I think he came to the wrong forum for that

Please don’t blame the buckfast. Those lovely monks put their heart and soul into its creation.

Blame that awful md 20/20 stuff. Devils urine "

I think in all honesty I’d rather drink the urine

» Add a new message to this topic