FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Spain > Driving to Spain from Uk

Driving to Spain from Uk

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *v-ts-lover OP   Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I'm hoping to be able to travel to Spain,Costa blanca,via euro tunnel and France by car mid June. What does everyone think the chances are?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

As it stands you’d struggle to drive through France unless you live here or drive a big fuck off wagon.

But best of luck!!!

T

Glasgow

Yes I know defo not just now but I'm praying in a month things will have changed. Thanks for your help ??

By *mmacdheelsTV/TS  over a year ago

Pau France, NOT IN

"I'm hoping to be able to travel to Spain,Costa blanca,via euro tunnel and France by car mid June. What does everyone think the chances are? "

At the moment borders are closed and you will not be allowed to drive through France. You have to wait until 15th June when the government will be making an announcement about when they will be opening the borders. Your best option is a ferry from uk to Spain.

Glasgow

I thought ferries/cruises would be the last to get started back up but I hope I'm wrong. Thanks for your reply ??

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

We are sat waiting to drive from Germany to Spain.

At the moment it is not possible. We cannot drive through France and even if we could we would not be allowed into Spain (even as home owners there)

As said above June 15th is a key date.

However even then it is not guaranteed that there will be full free movement, and if things go wrong with infection rates we could all end up back to square one.

I think your chances of driving down in mid June are pretty slim.

Our most optimistic plan is for early July but we are not loading the car just yet.

Glasgow

Yes I think your estimate for early July is the best we can hope for. Fingers crossed though

By *mmacdheelsTV/TS  over a year ago

Pau France, NOT IN

"I thought ferries/cruises would be the last to get started back up but I hope I'm wrong. Thanks for your reply ??"

Don't forget the ferries also take a lot of commercial traffic so I would think the main routes should still be operating a skeleton service.

By *essysteveCouple  over a year ago

ALICANTE AREA SPAIN

We are aiming to go via Bilbao mid to late July Brittany Ferries are taking booking

"We are sat waiting to drive from Germany to Spain.

At the moment it is not possible. We cannot drive through France and even if we could we would not be allowed into Spain (even as home owners there)

However even then it is not guaranteed that there will be full free movement, and if things go wrong with infection rates we could all end up back to square one.

Our most optimistic plan is for early July but we are not loading the car just yet."

Can you not stick your car on a transporter and fly from Germany.

T

Costa Blanca Spain...

"We are sat waiting to drive from Germany to Spain.

Our most optimistic plan is for early July but we are not loading the car just yet.

Can you not stick your car on a transporter and fly from Germany.

T"

We already have one car in Spain so we could actually just fly to get ourselves there.

It's not so much the car we need as the things we need to carry with us.

Apart from that I think the costs of a transporter would be quite expensive. I've not priced it recently but we thought about it around 10 years ago and were getting quotes of 700/800€ one way then. Add flights to that and it will be well over 1000€.

We can drive for less than 400€ including fuel, tolls, and a couple of hotels.

Ah I see!!

Best of luck getting there.

T

Some areas in Spain ur not allowed into unless u have residency I read-for now

By *inda and TerryCouple  over a year ago

london/Spain

"Some areas in Spain ur not allowed into unless u have residency I read-for now"

or NIE number and when or even if you got here you will have to self isolate for 2 weeks then when you return to the UK another 2 weeks in isolation so unless your coming out here for a couple of months it`s not really worth it.

"Some areas in Spain ur not allowed into unless u have residency I read-for now

or NIE number and when or even if you got here you will have to self isolate for 2 weeks then when you return to the UK another 2 weeks in isolation so unless your coming out here for a couple of months it`s not really worth it."

Greece is looking good then no isolation there

By *ureNotsoCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

How long is the drive from uk to southern Spain or is it quicker and easier to get a Ferry and where to and from ?

By *ack4funlondonMan  over a year ago

headingley

I did it last year. I got the train to France then solid driving took me about two days down to Marbella. It’s quite expensive with Tolls and watch the speed cameras in France. They got me.

By *inda and TerryCouple  over a year ago

london/Spain

"How long is the drive from uk to southern Spain or is it quicker and easier to get a Ferry and where to and from ?"

we haven`t driven all the ways but from what we have been told there`s not a lot of difference in time but we normally get the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbo takes 24 hours then drive down to Malaga about another 10 hours.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"How long is the drive from uk to southern Spain or is it quicker and easier to get a Ferry and where to and from ?"

Not sure which ferries are running into northern Spain now but check out Brittany ferries to Bilbao/Santander.

From Santander to Costa Blanca is 8/9 hours via Burgos/Madrid/Albacete depending on how lucky you are with the Madrid ring road. Beware though, those ferries are much more (and I mean much more) expensive than the standard Dover/Calais run.

From Calais there are a couple of options.

You can take the well trodden path via Paris (Ugh!) Clermont Ferrand/ Milau bridge then to Perpignon/Barcelona and on to wherever your final destination is. Note: The AP7 from Tarragona onward is now toll free.

Alternatively you can cut west from Calais via Ruen/Le Mans/Bordeaux then cross the border at San Sebastian/Irun. Cut the corner off by heading to Pamplona then Zaragoza then you can cut another big corner off by heading to Valencia via Teruel. (Google maps is your friend) That bit is also toll free.

From Calais to Costa Blanca is roughly 20 hours plus stops.

By *ookinginspainMan  over a year ago

bromsgrove

It was on bbc last nite!!! Greece at moment not takeing uk tourists..lol..!!!!!

Glasgow

Out of the 2 routes you have suggested, which one would you recommend, or prefer

By *exy BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde

We've done both of the French parts and much prefer Clermont to Milau and Barcelona rather than the west coast of France.

The A75 from Clermont to Beziers is free.

Zaragoza to Madrid and then south to the coast is a stunning route and can be almost toll free.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

i wouldnt bank on flights either got an email from ryanair telling me flights to resume in june 20 minutes later got another email from them telling me my flights in july had been canceled and to claim a refund or change the flights.

By *ifty69Man  over a year ago

north tyneside

Best route, santander the drive

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Out of the 2 routes you have suggested, which one would you recommend, or prefer"

Most direct is probably the Paris/Clermont Ferand route.

The westerly route is more scenic and was a bit cheaper on the tolls. But since the freeing up of most of the AP7 there probably isn't much in it now.

The Zaragoza to Valencia section via Teruel is a great road in Spring/Summer/Autumn. However be careful in the winter, it crosses some very high ground and they can and do get snow up there.

Glasgow

Thanks for the info. Another thing I'm wondering, is there a check point crossing France into Spain? Is it possible to get to Spain without being stopped?

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Thanks for the info. Another thing I'm wondering, is there a check point crossing France into Spain? Is it possible to get to Spain without being stopped? "

Before the Virus there were no checks between France and Spain. It was no different to England/Wales.

At the moment the borders are closed to all but essential travel.

How long that will last is open to debate. Some are saying 15th June but that is by no means certain.

For more info look here.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

By *ookinginspainMan  over a year ago

bromsgrove

Euro weekly paper is saying mainland borders closed untill 15th june..but possible non spanish if they have full resedentia paperwork!! Stay safe...x

By *r and Mrs PenguinCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

As far as I am aware, to come through france to spain you need french paper work of sorts. At the mo, if u get through its 2 weeks straight isolation here in spain with only trips to supermarket, docs, pharmacy or other very needed supplies.

You also need proof of why u are entering spain.

I commute usually every 2 weeks for work back and forth uk and spain. Been here since 17th march and looking like I'll be here until end june.

Even tho hubby and kids are here, there is no guarantee I will be allowed back in as yet as I'm not resident and still british national.

Mrs p xxx

» Add a new message to this topic