FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Spain > Tenerife strange place!

Tenerife strange place!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *exleybuffboy OP   Man 14 weeks ago

sidcup

I will probably attract a lot of criticism on here, but I just want to put it out there that Tenerife is a weird place. I disliked how everything in the big resorts was geared to the brits. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and no one in the service industry wanted to or appreciated being spoke to in Spanish…then the resorts…Cristianos, Américas were soulless and benidormy with no real identity. Adeje was nicer. The teide national park was the best bit. The weather was excellent but overall I wouldn’t return

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *urhiddendesireCouple 14 weeks ago

Darlington

You seem surprised the big resorts were geared for British tourists when over 40 per cent of foreign tourists visiting Tenerife are British .

2.3 million visit each year

The next largest group are Spanish with just over 800,000 follows by German tourists with just over 600,000 per year

By *exleybuffboy OP   Man 14 weeks ago

sidcup

Thanks ONS

By *urhiddendesireCouple 14 weeks ago

Darlington

"Thanks ONS"

Google could have been your friend

Congratulations

You’ve found the ‘stick’ you yearned for

By *ustpaul21Man 14 weeks ago

Carlisle

"Thanks ONS

Google could have been your friend

Congratulations

You’ve found the ‘stick’ you yearned for "

Hahaha

Great comeback.

I go to Tenerife four times a year .

The only thing I found strange about it was how alcohol brewed in the U.K. imported to the Canaries is actually cheaper than the U.K.

By *lfinlancsMan 14 weeks ago

bury

Going to the Brit places and complaining it’s British??? … get out of the Brit places and they will enjoy you speaking Spanish all day long there’s places in Tenerife you’d not hear English .., research helps …

By *orrivonCouple 14 weeks ago

North

We tend to go to the north side of the island. Not quite as reliable with the weather but much prettier and much more Spanish. M managed a tryst with a totally non-English speaker when there last. She said it was amazing. Didn’t have a clue what they were saying to each other!

By *nked_coupleCouple 14 weeks ago

Durham

Tenerife is much bigger than Las Americas etc! You can't go to the tourist ares and complain its touristy! It's a stunning island for those who actually step out of their comfort a teeny bit

By *ale4FunCouple 14 weeks ago

Tenerife

OP - absolutely entitled to your own opinion however we go to Tenerife multiple times a year and it never fails to live up to our expectations! Having said that we did our research and stay in a quiet area, and if we want a night out with the Brits we know where to find it! Same in Benidorm for that matter

By *obc123Man 14 weeks ago

NW

Santa Cruz is a really elegant city, equal to anything on the mainland, there are plenty of traditional historic villages like San Andrés too.

The great thing about the Canary Islands is that there’s something for whatever your reason for visiting is.

By *omdomUkMan 14 weeks ago

chester

First thing I do is go to anywhere where the Brit’s don’t go to. We’re the most hated tourists in Europe for good reason. I go on holiday to get away from it! The swinging scene is massive over there, you just need a few courtesy words in Spanish and it’s a whole new world

By *ale4FunCouple 13 weeks ago

Tenerife

"First thing I do is go to anywhere where the Brit’s don’t go to. We’re the most hated tourists in Europe for good reason. I go on holiday to get away from it! The swinging scene is massive over there, you just need a few courtesy words in Spanish and it’s a whole new world "

Ola!

By *otlovefun42Couple 13 weeks ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"First thing I do is go to anywhere where the Brit’s don’t go to. We’re the most hated tourists in Europe for good reason. I go on holiday to get away from it! The swinging scene is massive over there, you just need a few courtesy words in Spanish and it’s a whole new world

Ola! "

It's Hola, but the H is silent.

By *otlovefun42Couple 13 weeks ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"First thing I do is go to anywhere where the Brit’s don’t go to. We’re the most hated tourists in Europe for good reason. I go on holiday to get away from it! The swinging scene is massive over there, you just need a few courtesy words in Spanish and it’s a whole new world "

You've obviously not been to Arenal on Mallorca.

It's like Benidorm on steroids but German and Dutch.

By *erry bull1Man 13 weeks ago

doncaster

I stay at the hotel sabila in adeje

There are plenty of Spanish bars and restaurants to visit if you look around plus the island has more to offer than los christianos

By *ustusboth2013Couple 13 weeks ago

Birmingham

"I will probably attract a lot of criticism on here, but I just want to put it out there that Tenerife is a weird place. I disliked how everything in the big resorts was geared to the brits. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and no one in the service industry wanted to or appreciated being spoke to in Spanish…then the resorts…Cristianos, Américas were soulless and benidormy with no real identity. Adeje was nicer. The teide national park was the best bit. The weather was excellent but overall I wouldn’t return"

Although your opinion has been challenged and correctly so by others, I would also say that whilst you could visit more remote or less ‘touristy’ areas of Tenerife and get a ‘proper’ culture fix and spoken in Spanish, I haven’t shared your experience in these areas.

My experience is quite the opposite. Firstly, we love liveliness as well as tranquility on my vacations. With this, we choose Gran Canaria for adult vacations and then Tenerife for family holidays.

As such, Las Americas and Los Cris are our choice of resorts as it caters for our family group.

One of the first things I ask is do you speak English. From there, it’s either Spanish, English, or Spanglish. And occasionally a mash up of other languages if we can’t find the right words.

I’ve never experienced a single person in the service industry or otherwise to not want or appreciate speaking in Spanish. Quite the opposite. Culturally, we’ve had interesting conversations how Canarians speak Spanish different to the mainland, and even each island has its own dialect.

So I’m not sure how your conversations go but that’s how I lead my conversations and they’ve always been appreciated and fluid with no awkwardness.

Then with any tourist area, be it Tenerife, Spain, Turkey or otherwise. I would challenge that they are soulless or have no identity. They cater for a market and naturally they diversify from other areas of the country, which helps drives their economy (though I know there is news about this recently with a negative connotation). That’s their identity. But you’ll appreciate that there are local people that live in these areas and there are local hangouts. If you explore off the beaten track, then I think you’ll find some gems even within these areas.

In terms of criticism, I would question your rationale for posting these comments. And I say this with the utmost of respect, as I do enjoy a forum for debates and opposing opinions. But from my perspective, it’s a little naive that such a person who appears to enjoy culture and exploring such differences would choose a tourist area in the first place for a holiday.

La Gomera for your next trip maybe?

By *exleybuffboy OP   Man 13 weeks ago

sidcup

No I was thinking Guantanamo Bay.

By *exleybuffboy OP   Man 13 weeks ago

sidcup

Look everyone, I’ll admit I didn’t do my research well enough. I didn’t have a rental car to explore enough. Ok? But I managed to meet and shag a sexy German tourist! lol!! The trip was worth it.

» Add a new message to this topic