FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Sleep Apnea mask

Sleep Apnea mask

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uxomBoobs195 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Rotherham

After months of waiting I've finally got my appointment to get my CPAP machine through for next week.

Any tips and ideas on how to get used to sleeping with it on. At the moment I struggle to have a watch on my rist at night without it bothering me so I'm not sure how I will manage with a mask on my face.

Also, how long did it take for you to see the effects work? I'm so ready to not be so tired all the time!

Tar!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rumalexMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"After months of waiting I've finally got my appointment to get my CPAP machine through for next week.

Any tips and ideas on how to get used to sleeping with it on. At the moment I struggle to have a watch on my rist at night without it bothering me so I'm not sure how I will manage with a mask on my face.

Also, how long did it take for you to see the effects work? I'm so ready to not be so tired all the time!

Tar!"

it takes a bit of getting used to, but you will get there, for me the effects were immediate, from fighting sleep at work i was lively and alert the next day

Good luck with it

By *ichaelsmyMan  over a year ago

douglas

make sure that it is fitted properly and comfortable to wear.

padded for your face

stick with it and you will get used to it

By * F 2018Couple  over a year ago

shropshire

"After months of waiting I've finally got my appointment to get my CPAP machine through for next week.

Tar!"

Hubby goes to be fitted next week for mask....

By *sn3004Woman  over a year ago

N Wilts

Tar!"

I haven’t got one myself but know a few people who have it. Some of them had to persevere for a few weeks and they swear by it, changed their lives so well worth it.

By *aisyandCarlosCouple  over a year ago

fareham

I have now used one for years and it has changed my life dramatically. From getting between 2-3 hours sleep to around 6 hours and all of the benefits.

As has been said persevere.

Use pillows to optimise your sleeping position.

When you have got into the habit of using it nightly, don't be afraid to have the odd night off for instance if you are not working or doing a long drive the next day.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My advice is sit watching TV with it on. It will help get used to it. The main issue I have is of I wake up in the night and its going full tilt. To get back to sleep, hit the ramp button so it reduces the pressure and then slowly builds it back up. Bx

By *eepjoyMan  over a year ago

truro

I have had one for a few years. It took some time getting used to.

If you struggle go back and see the nurse and they can try differant masks.

BTW, mine is referred to/called "Gimpy". This raises eyebrows at times when I refer to using my Gimp Mask every night

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man  over a year ago

Stourbridge

My experience is unfortunately not a good one. I’ve tried repeatedly and even with a built in humidifier I can’t use it because it drys my mouth and throat so much I end up waking every hour to drink. I have given up to be honest.

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man  over a year ago

Stourbridge

Don’t let me put anyone off, unfortunately I can’t use it but that doesn’t mean you can’t

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

My ex used one and found it beneficial immediately. He used to wake many times in the night, have headaches and being tired constantly previously.

It took him a while to get used to it and had to persevere. If you have issues, contact the nurse at the hospital and try different masks. The humidifier meant he didn't have a dry mouth, but getting a good seal was essential.

As a partner it was not a problem for me. Always had a good night kiss and cuddle and then he'd pop it on. It's not noisy or off putting. I met him when he was already used to using it.

By *ittycenMan  over a year ago

south west

Yep same for me re life changing. I would drink two or three energy drinks a day but still needed a nap when I got home from work. Even so, I still lost a really good job due to sleepiness at my desk.

It feels a bit awkward to tell a new partner but inhale been told the hum is quite soothing to others!

I actually find it harder to sleep without it now!

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I’ve had one for 5 years. I also have a humidifier on mine. Get some cotton fabric and cut a hole in the middle to go between your skin & the mask. Wash off makeup & do not apply any moisturiser. It takes a few nights to get used to but you will then sleep well. Always take an extension lead with you when travelling.

Good luck xx

By *fkcpl4groupCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

Best of luck.

Hubby took to his straight away and noticed the difference the same. I used to worry about him being a driver.

By *jleedsCouple  over a year ago

leeds

Iv got one and havnt noticed any differance yet after 6 wks.wife says my moods have changed for the better but still feel knackered on a morning.

By *ooblover66Man  over a year ago

kendal

I have a cpap machine…initially I had the full mask but could not wear it as it felt very restrictive. Since then , which is the 2 years , I have just worn the nasal piece which I find more comfortable .

Just preserve with it. You will have good nights and bad nights. I average about 6 hr 30 mins a night with my mask sleepwise

Interesting. How long did people generally find it took from intial consultation to getting one fitted?

Most cpap machines now are set to your consultants prescription , I have been using mine since October . Programmed depending on the severity of apnoeas per hour example 0 to 5 per hour considered normal , 5 to 15 considered moderate anything over 30 apnoeas per hour considered severe . When initially diagnosed I was 70 apnoeas per hour !!! Within 3 nights of using the machine I was down to 5 . So life changing result for me , I average 7 hours sleep with the mask on now , before treatment I only managed maybe 4 hours sleep a night and was falling asleep at my desk in work .machine is very quiet and one bonus is that it cures snoring too .

Forgot to add , I had my machine and mask delivered within 2 days by a company rep who fitted the mask and showed me how to operate the equipment in my home , followed up with a phone call to see how I was getting on etc . My machine sends data back every so often which is monitored by the equip company to ensure it’s doing what it supposed to do . Hope this helps

By *ory_xWoman  over a year ago

42 Wallaby Way Syndey

I forced my self to wear it for 6 hours the first night. After that it was easier. It makes a massive difference though.

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple  over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Used to have one. I'd you have windy pets, don't have them in the same room. The most vile experience of my life, it's not just the sense of smell that gets affected

By *pace_Cowboy_BrumMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Just had a sleep study test after going to docs about my snoring. Had been advised by colleague that she used to snore heavily and was then diagnosed with sleep apnea and the Cpap machine was massive help once sorted.

My results came back as unlikely to have sleep apnea so not sure where I proceed now but here's hoping the mask has the benefits that majority above describe.

For me ( Bob) it took a couple of days. It’s life changing. I felt tired for 20 years blaming it on shift work. Now I sleep like a log. Regularly clean your mask and hose. Clean the humidifier tank and put fresh water in daily. If the mask leaks over your nose use a cotton wool make up remover pad under the mask to bridge the mask over the nose. I use mine when camping, on holiday in fact everywhere if I’m sleeping else where. Good luck with it

"Interesting. How long did people generally find it took from intial consultation to getting one fitted? "

A week. The doctor picked up on my sleep apnea on a Thursday on my HGV re- medical. Sleep over at hospital for the test the following Monday and cpap machine issued on Thursday. Can’t complain. My doctor is one of the best tbh.

By *ory_xWoman  over a year ago

42 Wallaby Way Syndey

It took 8 months to get my machine after diagnosis. No humidifier on it though.

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

My son has a Resmed™ CPAP unit and it's been a life-saver for his malacia and weakened Trachea. It does take a little getting used to but perseverance is key.

Good luck OP. Wishing you long and peaceful nights of comforting slumber.

I've had one 3 ish years. Hated it at first but has taken time to find what works. The upside is I feel a lot better and more energy. Not falling asleep mud conversation and

Anymore.

By *attybMan  over a year ago

worcester

Hi there yeah I’ve had my cpap mask 11 years now takes some getting use to but again it takes time and effort to get used to it watch tv with it on wear it when chilling and gently get used to it try different masks if you can and see what happens

By *ebootCouple  over a year ago

Telford

Absolutely changed my life (for the better) almost instantly.

Some tips if I may - there’s the nose only covering, or full face - I struggle with the nose only one, so try both and see which works best for you.

If you can get the humidifier with it I absolutely recommend it.

No matter how well you maintain it, they will degrade, pipes will split or straps will break eventually - keep one in use and one held back for immediate replacement - if I go one night without it I feel absolutely awful, and it can take two/three days for the clinic to get one to you.

If like me you travel a lot and sleep in different places a lot, so are constantly packing it up and unpacking it - watch the wires on the transformer- they’re weak as hell and can very soon start splitting and break away - keep a close eye on this, and as soon as you see it starting to split, prefer a new one - again going 2/3 days without a power pack is not fun.

On travelling - many hotel chain plug sockets (especially premier inn) are awfully placed - get a small extension lead to pack with it - the range is great.

Keep a spare packet of filters too - they can fall out sometimes and get lost (depending on the model)

Hope that helps

By *ebootCouple  over a year ago

Telford

The part about degrading and keeping a spare one - I was referring to the masks - should have clarified that

By *aznshaneCouple  over a year ago

St Annes

"Iv got one and havnt noticed any differance yet after 6 wks.wife says my moods have changed for the better but still feel knackered on a morning."
you may not be on the right pressure, the hospital can adjust it x

By *eepgliderMan  over a year ago

Chacewater

Friend (f) and I known a couple of guys who have CPAP machine. Not associated with "sexy" for us but know it's a technical miracle. Have to make up separate bed in separate room for those guests. They both fuck well. Just glad they are okay.

By *iss DevilWoman  over a year ago

Bedford

I have just been diagnosed with severe obstruction sleep apnea and offered CPAP treatment. Hopefully I won't need to wait for the treatment and will get on with it.

By * F 2018Couple  over a year ago

shropshire

Tar!"

Hubby has had one for about a month now

Took a little while to get use to but so much better for wearing it

Some machines have a chip that tells the hospital how many hours and when it has been used by email ,but the after care is nonexistent in my case , as long as the machine keeps working should be ok. Tricky to set up the reservoir for moisture ,so gave that up.

» Add a new message to this topic