FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Password protected files

Password protected files

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *innamon! OP   Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Hi.. im not much good on computers finding my way around or making files..

On my fone and ipad i have an App to add private photos/videos into I use Keep Safe.

I would like to know if there is a similar thing to use on my computer (windows*8 (tho just about to download *8.1 ) over weekend.

I want to move stuff into a password protected file that only I have access too. Any suggestions computer buffs ??

simple instructions would help .thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You could zip the files with winrar and make the file passworded to view or take them out

no matter

hmm if I knew what you were talking about I might I spose .. but I havent a clue ..sorry

I have a thing called Vault on my phone & iPad....I'm sure that you can use on pcs as well....it would be worth a google

yes you can but I am not IT whizz.

However you will find an easy to do guide on youtube or online.

I think you set up the folder and then right click on it and go from there (it will be one of those options!)

We use a program called truecrypt. It allows you to create an encrypted area to store all your private stuff.The instructions that come with the software explain it pretty well.You can find the program online for download by doing a Google search. Best of all its free.

Safehouse Explorer is good. I think zip files no longer carry passwords...current windows can open them without asking

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I have a Mac but followed some simple online instructions to create a disk imaged folder I can only mount with my password. I would imagine you can do something similar on a PC?

no matter

thank you everyone.. will check it out.. or just delete anything I dont want seen I guess

"I have a thing called Vault on my phone & iPad....I'm sure that you can use on pcs as well....it would be worth a google"

St@sh on ipads and. Iphones are good for privacy

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

[Removed by poster at 26/07/14 08:40:40]

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

There are loads of programs which can do this. Have a look at this

http://folder-password-lock.en.softonic.com/

or

http://folder-protection.en.softonic.com/

both are free..... don't forget your password though.

By *lipperyWhenWet!Couple  over a year ago

Rochester

"hmm if I knew what you were talking about I might I spose .. but I havent a clue ..sorry

"

I think that comment is a tell tale

The problem I see being an IT person, is that you are not familiar with the options and the better they are the more complex they get.

A quick and strong solution may be to up date your Windows to Pro (if you don't already have it) which has an option called bitlocker.

This can be run once using a wizard on the laptop and encrypts the whole hard drive, so anything on it is safe. All you have to do is put in a password on boot and then everything runs as normal, switch it off and no one can get to the contents!

Lose or forget the password though and its gone!

It will cost the price of the version upgrade, so not the cheapest option, but it is a very secure, simple, business level solution you can rely on.

Good luck.

By *renchbambi xWoman  over a year ago

Need to know basis

I use KeePass Cin, its really easy to use and very safe.

Be aware with truecrypt as it was compromised a couple of months back

i have dropbox - linked up to the lappy and has password - kids had to set it up for me though (i chose password

Winrar

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple  over a year ago

Manchester Area

"i have dropbox - linked up to the lappy and has password - kids had to set it up for me though (i chose password "

Dropbox is the way to go, simply send your file there and delete the original.... job done

By *corcherMan  over a year ago

Loughborough

No-one is sure what's happening with TrueCrypt right now. Unless you know what you're doing stay away from it. It was(still is) a very good product that let's you create encrypted containers or whole disks. I would recommend it, but unless you're It savy, it's best to pick an alternative.

As others have said, go for Dropbox/onedrive/box.net as they have the bonus of being backed up online. Just make sure you choose a good password.

» Add a new message to this topic