FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Unwanted Txt messages

Unwanted Txt messages

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Since upgrading to a site supporter we have been inundated with advertising txts.

the txts are from 81404 and read " FreeMsg: Get Vids of hot sxy girls in your area by texting BABE to 81404 now! These girls do the nastiest things. Adbuyer 01212590047 2 opt out txt stop Free24hr.

I seem to recall a number of people in chat room complaining about a similar subject.

We have reported to ICO... but would like to know if there is a link between this site and these adverts, as we only use this particular number for contacts on here !!

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i havent had any and i only use the one moby for everything

hi,

i have recently been getting similar texts myself,hadn't made the connection but i upgraded my supporters status a few weeks ago and didn't receive the messages previously.

Im a site supporter. Never had them.

Forum Mod

Have a read of this thread on the same subject admin answers at the bottom x

http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/43591#last

Same here just delete them never never reply to them it's a pain, nice to know your number is safe NOT if you upgrade think we'll pass next time n just change our number

* gEtS baCk iN cOffiN * -|-

Yes there is a link, we get the same messages and got one again today and only time we've used said sim is for here

which network you on ive only just up graded on orange and had no problems at all

We have just started getting them too and we are certain our number must have been sold on by fab as we have only just got this phone and NO one has the number the only time we used it is to become a site supporter here

By *ustyWoman  over a year ago

inverclyde

no problem here

Forum Mod

This is the explanation that admin gave last time this subject came up........

Hi guys

Apologies for the delay we've been waiting on our premium text processor and they've been checking this out carefully.

Here's what we've found.

1. No marketing messages have been sent by them to any mobile numbers that they've checked. As we said earlier, by law (data protection act), the mobile numbers people have used to upgrade can't have been passed to other companies, either by them or us (and we can confirm we don't get people's mobile numbers as part of the upgrade process; if there is an issue we need to ask the user for their number and can then perform a lookup).

2. We can also confirm that the 89333 code which the messages came from is not used or operated by our aggregator, which rules out the possibility of some sort of cockup (our number which folks text "swing" is different, 89398 and the number we text back on, 79069; neither are linked to the 89333 number).

There are a number of possibilities how a small number of user's numbers could have ended up with these 89333 people texting, from skulduggery on the site (i.e. someone registering a profile and soliciting numbers) to issues at one of the networks, to gathering from another source.

The premium text regulator has a website at:

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk

On this is can be seen that the operators of the 89333 service are called WIN. They have an obligation to tell people how their number has been acquired for marketing purposes and they can be contacted using the details below. We would urge anyone who has received a marketing text from 89333 (i.e. people in the thread above!) that they believe they didn't sign up for their service or opt in to their marketing texts to contact them and ask where they got their number from.

WIN (Wireless Information Network) Ltd

1 Cliveden Office Village

Lancaster Road

High Wycombe

HP12 3YZ

01494 750 500

customerservices@winplc.com

If after a reasonable period you don't get any joy, you can submit a formal complaint through the phonepayplus website above. Let them know the exact message you received, the number you received it to and the number it came from.

Looking online it seems that the 89333 people have been at this kind of thing before e.g. see this message on the vodafone website about spam:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Spam-Texts-won-t-STOP/m-p/628499

We're closing this thread so that this message from us remains the last and most obvious on the thread. If you still have any problems or queries contact us directly and we'll see what we can do (or start a new thread).

Admin x