FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > It's a girl thing...

It's a girl thing...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *otandSticky OP   Couple  over a year ago

Poole

...has anyone successfully used ibruprofen to shorten/lighten the flow of your period. I read you have to take a higher dose than normal...I don't want to OD and die a slow agonising death or 'owt like that

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Sounds dangerous to me?

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

Not found anything but will follow this thread with interest

By *itsmcgee4Couple  over a year ago

Central

Nope, if I want to skip a period I can just run two packs of contraceptive pills together. And that was a tip from my doc

There's medication your doc can prescribe especially for that. I have heard ibuprofen helps with it but I take it for period pain which it always helps with for me but not sure about lightening it. See your doc for advice though

Poole

Google it, it is a thing! but I was wondering if anyone had taken a higher dose and do you buy stronger tablets, or take an extra one? I need details before I take more than the recommend dose.

By *hell and jCouple  over a year ago

doncaster

Just go docs get tablets to stop week or so before xx I do esp if due a holiday and no I'm due on xx

By *ensual temptressWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

"Google it, it is a thing! but I was wondering if anyone had taken a higher dose and do you buy stronger tablets, or take an extra one? I need details before I take more than the recommend dose."

I'd take medical advice from your doc not from on line .

Poole

"Nope, if I want to skip a period I can just run two packs of contraceptive pills together. And that was a tip from my doc "

I've got a coil, a copper one...I have used that novothisarone (not sure if that is the spelling) but I bloat out, it isn't hot! I just want a shorter period really, wouldn't mind if I had a hideous few days to get it over with quicker. The doc gave me menfanic acid (again, soz about the spelling) and it worked once, then made it worse after that

Poole

"Google it, it is a thing! but I was wondering if anyone had taken a higher dose and do you buy stronger tablets, or take an extra one? I need details before I take more than the recommend dose.

I'd take medical advice from your doc not from on line . "

I do hear you, but I was wondering if anyone had done it here, that's all

I've done it, yes. And it works for me. But I don't do it often - only once or twice a year.

I have also used higher doses of vitamin C to bring my period on early and it's worked as well. But that only works for 4/5 days in advance at most.

By *ellowbabesCouple  over a year ago

newport/cwmbran

I taken iburpen but for pains hate taking but I did notice shorter flow .but if you want stop it like I have for hoilday reason etc doctor can give you them .mrs

By *esiderataWoman  over a year ago

St Helier

Speak to your gp and maybe try mefenamic acid. Seems to work for me on pains and flo. Good luck op.

"Nope, if I want to skip a period I can just run two packs of contraceptive pills together. And that was a tip from my doc

I've got a coil, a copper one...I have used that novothisarone (not sure if that is the spelling) but I bloat out, it isn't hot! I just want a shorter period really, wouldn't mind if I had a hideous few days to get it over with quicker. The doc gave me menfanic acid (again, soz about the spelling) and it worked once, then made it worse after that"

Mefanemic acid works for me. You can take a 400mg ibuprofen tablet 3 times a day and remain within the bnf guidelines for an adult. Whether it would have any effect on periods I wouldn't have no idea.

Poole

"I've done it, yes. And it works for me. But I don't do it often - only once or twice a year.

I have also used higher doses of vitamin C to bring my period on early and it's worked as well. But that only works for 4/5 days in advance at most. "

Lol to bring it on early once I tried this herbal thing, parsley tea, vit c,hot water bottle, I got terrible pains and wasn't any earlier

I've used Norethisterone plenty of times, it delays your period but you pay for it when you come back on...the cramp is ridiculous. Your GP has to prescribe it though x

"I've done it, yes. And it works for me. But I don't do it often - only once or twice a year.

I have also used higher doses of vitamin C to bring my period on early and it's worked as well. But that only works for 4/5 days in advance at most.

Lol to bring it on early once I tried this herbal thing, parsley tea, vit c,hot water bottle, I got terrible pains and wasn't any earlier "

Oh, haha! No, I never took an herbal thing and I never had any pain (apart from the usual). I read that you just take very large amounts of vitamin C for a few days (if it's only a little earlier than it's supposed to be). It's worked for me and has saved a meet or two

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"I've used Norethisterone plenty of times, it delays your period but you pay for it when you come back on...the cramp is ridiculous. Your GP has to prescribe it though x"

The only time I've ever had PMT was after using that stuff. I'm not sure it was worth it.

Poole

Lol to bring it on early once I tried this herbal thing, parsley tea, vit c,hot water bottle, I got terrible pains and wasn't any earlier

Oh, haha! No, I never took an herbal thing and I never had any pain (apart from the usual). I read that you just take very large amounts of vitamin C for a few days (if it's only a little earlier than it's supposed to be). It's worked for me and has saved a meet or two "

It was some Angelica root thing and tasted so vile...I was trying to shift my pattern to fit in a night of naughtiness lol the things we do

By *unguya2zMan  over a year ago

coventry..ish

"...has anyone successfully used ibruprofen to shorten/lighten the flow of your period. I read you have to take a higher dose than normal...I don't want to OD and die a slow agonising death or 'owt like that "

I took ibuprofen for a long term shoulder injury,I found that I couldn't get a stiffy

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

I opted for the merina coil. I've not had a period in years.

Poole

"I opted for the merina coil. I've not had a period in years. "

That sounds awesome, but I don't think it's the same for everyone, Knowing me it would go the opposite way :o)

Ibuprofen dosent always agree with other medication,if you are taking any.

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

"I opted for the merina coil. I've not had a period in years.

That sounds awesome, but I don't think it's the same for everyone, Knowing me it would go the opposite way :o)"

the first 6 months were a bit unpredictable but after that its been fine. I would avoid ibuprofen at all costs. Norithsterdone (spelling) from the gp used to work for me.

As a long term pcos sufferer (diagnosed at 19)I can offer what I've been told over the years.

If you are having a heavy flow avoid hot baths and ibuprofen as the muscle relaxing properties of both encourage the flow rather than slow it down. Alcohol is the same.

You can take norithisorone (sp?) to stop a period but be warned you'll probably have an awful one after.

The coil can work for some but you should have an appointment with reproductive health first.

Things that work for me are yoga, lots of fluids and paracetamol to take the edge off any pain.

Being a woman sucks

That sounds awesome, but I don't think it's the same for everyone, Knowing me it would go the opposite way :o)"

I had on off spotting on the mirena for the whole 18months I had it in, was gutted it didn't really help me. I've now got the implant in my arm and after the first few months it's settled down to maybe 3 incredibly light spotting days a month. Bloody love it!

I use the depoprovera jab which I now get on prescription and administer to myself...not bled since being on it...didn't gain weight nor suffer pains..only thing I will say is don't use it of you plan on having children as it causes some delays getting out of system after prolonged use.

Didn't know that worked ?

That sounds awesome, but I don't think it's the same for everyone, Knowing me it would go the opposite way :o)

I had on off spotting on the mirena for the whole 18months I had it in, was gutted it didn't really help me. I've now got the implant in my arm and after the first few months it's settled down to maybe 3 incredibly light spotting days a month. Bloody love it!"

I had the mirena but it was a nightmare. Frequent bleeding and weight gain, mood swings. I lasted 16 months then had it removed. I now just use withdrawal method with my husband.

I had on off spotting on the mirena for the whole 18months I had it in, was gutted it didn't really help me. I've now got the implant in my arm and after the first few months it's settled down to maybe 3 incredibly light spotting days a month. Bloody love it!

I had the mirena but it was a nightmare. Frequent bleeding and weight gain, mood swings. I lasted 16 months then had it removed. I now just use withdrawal method with my husband."

Admittedly I have gone up a dress size on the implant, with no discernable change in my diet. Good job I'm happy being wobbly lol!

"I use the depoprovera jab which I now get on prescription and administer to myself...not bled since being on it...didn't gain weight nor suffer pains..only thing I will say is don't use it of you plan on having children as it causes some delays getting out of system after prolonged use.

. "

I tried that. I bled for 6 months!! Never again

I have the mirena coil too in almost 5 years I've had 3 periods it doesn't stop the periods of all women though. X

"I use the depoprovera jab which I now get on prescription and administer to myself...not bled since being on it...didn't gain weight nor suffer pains..only thing I will say is don't use it of you plan on having children as it causes some delays getting out of system after prolonged use.

I tried that. I bled for 6 months!! Never again "

12 months here, it was so deeply unpleasant.

It can also make you permanently sterile as well. (That wasn't a problem for me - but it's a smallprint side affect that isn't often told to women.)

i've taken double doses of ibuprofen,pre menopause they were very heavy for a year or two....my doc said that was fine as long as you take omeprazole as well as the ibuprofen can be really tough on your stomach lining....but but see if you can get the omeprazole on prescription, it really really expensive over the counter!

Ibrufen is very hard on the stomach I know cos I have to take stomach protection tabs cos I take painkillers every day. I think personally you would shouldn't be so careless with medication.

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

Interesting, I've never heard about using Ibuprofen like that, and believe me I thought I'd researched every trick in the book. Am not sure I'd want to try it though, would be a bit nervy like you OP. I am intrigued by the higher dose of Vitamin C though - and will look into that.

I use Norethisterone to postpone my period sometimes but you do have to be regular apparently to get the timing right. I've also read that if you take it once your period's started it can slow it down and/or lessen the flow though I can't speak from personal experience. I do find Norethisterone useful, obviously, but it can make you feel rather bloated and it certainly brings on murderous PMT. And I lie to my doctor an awful lot about the number of 'holidays' I take, as an excuse for wanting it ...

Poole

I have a copper coil, no hormones involved, I'm on no medication at all, and my child bearing days are over...it would just be good to have a shorter period, I would happily have it all in 3 hideous days rather than a bit over a week...i think I will go for a long run then lie in a hot bath, jacked up on parsley, Angelica and vitamin C and orgasming my arse off...maybe that will help lol (it doesn't sound to bad, more like an evenings entertainment)

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

Try Apple cider vinegar you can drink it or get it in tablet form. I found that it helped to stop the flow.

Poole

"Try Apple cider vinegar you can drink it or get it in tablet form. I found that it helped to stop the flow.

"

Mmmm....I wonder if actual cider has the same effect

Thanks, will look into that

I used nothiserone or whatever its called and i had a huge hormonal hissy fit and Fred didn't know what had hit him. The after affects were pretty grim to but I would use again to ensure I had a more comfortable holiday.

Having suffered PCOS in the past I'm very loathe to frequently mess up my cycle.

I'm due to get this done and was hoping this would be the case. I'm glad you've confirmed it stops them altogether x

By *ndigo40Woman  over a year ago

secret town

"...has anyone successfully used ibruprofen to shorten/lighten the flow of your period. I read you have to take a higher dose than normal...I don't want to OD and die a slow agonising death or 'owt like that "

Best to get in touch with a professional

It's an anti inflammatory. To lighten you need hormones to change body balance. And excessive will just block you up elsewhere

There are loads of options now for no periods . Injections. Mini pill. Implant or coil.

ive taken norethisterone (sp) to delay when i know we had a big party to attend

Ibroprofin erodes your stomach lining. There's better options

Yep me too. I used to take postan and something else to stave off the frankly near death experiences I had . Ibuprofen cooks your kidneys...

just,,, nooooooooooooooooo

By *reemindCoolMan  over a year ago

between Barnsley and Wakefield

as it is very similar to aspirin I can not see that working and it is quite nasty on your stomach,

dodgy stuff

By *manda63Woman  over a year ago

Southampton

Ask your gp about the depo injection. No periods and no problems for me, just get it every 11-12 weeks. Ive never taken anything to alter periods without gp advice

"Nope, if I want to skip a period I can just run two packs of contraceptive pills together. And that was a tip from my doc

I've got a coil, a copper one...I have used that novothisarone (not sure if that is the spelling) but I bloat out, it isn't hot! I just want a shorter period really, wouldn't mind if I had a hideous few days to get it over with quicker. The doc gave me menfanic acid (again, soz about the spelling) and it worked once, then made it worse after that

Mefanemic acid works for me. You can take a 400mg ibuprofen tablet 3 times a day and remain within the bnf guidelines for an adult. Whether it would have any effect on periods I wouldn't have no idea. "

You can take 800mg 4 times a day and still be within the dose on the packet. (3200mg)

Youd be hardpressed tp actually od on ibuprofen unintentional

Stay well clear of ibuprofen, too many take excess amounts and end up with ulcers which can perforate and lead to internal bleeding.

Poole

Mefanemic acid works for me. You can take a 400mg ibuprofen tablet 3 times a day and remain within the bnf guidelines for an adult. Whether it would have any effect on periods I wouldn't have no idea.

You can take 800mg 4 times a day and still be within the dose on the packet. (3200mg)

Youd be hardpressed tp actually od on ibuprofen unintentional "

Thank you

I am aware that I could get medical advice from my doctor, but he is a man and I'm sure has never tried to make his period go quicker, I just wanted to ask if anyone had tried it, did it work and how much did they take, was the stomach pump painful (lol...kidding about the last bit) I did read somewhere about taking gelatin to stop it temporarily, just imagine waiting for that big red jelly to melt...kind of gross!

Just found this, I haven't sent this article before

http://www.theaccessproject.org/ibuprofen-stop-your-period/

Poole

"Stay well clear of ibuprofen, too many take excess amounts and end up with ulcers which can perforate and lead to internal bleeding. "

I think you don't take it for extended periods (excuse the pun) and always with food, of course you have to be sensible, but once in a while a 9 day period is neither fun nor convienient

"Stay well clear of ibuprofen, too many take excess amounts and end up with ulcers which can perforate and lead to internal bleeding.

I think you don't take it for extended periods (excuse the pun) and always with food, of course you have to be sensible, but once in a while a 9 day period is neither fun nor convienient"

Taking it when there is no medical need can still do it, i had a three week one once and never resorted to it.

Go to your docs if they are that bad you may not be on the right birth control,

Poole

"Stay well clear of ibuprofen, too many take excess amounts and end up with ulcers which can perforate and lead to internal bleeding.

I think you don't take it for extended periods (excuse the pun) and always with food, of course you have to be sensible, but once in a while a 9 day period is neither fun nor convienient

Taking it when there is no medical need can still do it, i had a three week one once and never resorted to it.

Go to your docs if they are that bad you may not be on the right birth control, "

I have a copper coil, which suits me fine, I don't want to take hormones, Im happy, just this month I would rather not bleed for any longer than I have too!

I have a copper coil, which suits me fine, I don't want to take hormones, Im happy, just this month I would rather not bleed for any longer than I have too! "

I think on your head be it, if you get an ulcer you cant take any nsaids ever again and then stuck on ace inhibitors for life... i know from experience, a week of using them and i was coughing up blood!

I have a copper coil, which suits me fine, I don't want to take hormones, Im happy, just this month I would rather not bleed for any longer than I have too!

I think on your head be it, if you get an ulcer you cant take any nsaids ever again and then stuck on ace inhibitors for life... i know from experience, a week of using them and i was coughing up blood! "

which is why several people have said you need to take protective medication as well!..i was advised by a gynae specialist to take it; if you are taking a higher dose just for a few days with something like omeprazole/nexium you are not going to get an ulcer! it can be very debilitating to have very heavy flow, and a simple solution like ibuprofen has a lot less side effects than something that messes with your hormones.

Poole

"

I think on your head be it, if you get an ulcer you cant take any nsaids ever again and then stuck on ace inhibitors for life... i know from experience, a week of using them and i was coughing up blood! "

That sounds nasty, sorry that happened to you. I wasn't going to take them for a week, 2 or 3 days tops when the worst of it is over...I've taken them on occasion before with no issues at all for genuine reasons...lol, you guys are making me sound like a junkie, I rarely drink, eat healthy, I don't smoke, I take regular exercise...All I was doing was asking if anyone had used it with success, I guess that is a no...I was only asking!

Poole

"

which is why several people have said you need to take protective medication as well!..i was advised by a gynae specialist to take it; if you are taking a higher dose just for a few days with something like omeprazole/nexium you are not going to get an ulcer! it can be very debilitating to have very heavy flow, and a simple solution like ibuprofen has a lot less side effects than something that messes with your hormones."

That is exactly what I was thinking, thank you Did your gynae say how much to take? x

[Removed by poster at 27/02/17 00:18:34]

"

which is why several people have said you need to take protective medication as well!..i was advised by a gynae specialist to take it; if you are taking a higher dose just for a few days with something like omeprazole/nexium you are not going to get an ulcer! it can be very debilitating to have very heavy flow, and a simple solution like ibuprofen has a lot less side effects than something that messes with your hormones.

That is exactly what I was thinking, thank you Did your gynae say how much to take? x"

i really cant remember exactly, it was the higher strength ones though,and not some massive amount..i think twice the dose twice in a day...maybe ask a pharmacist, quicker than going to the doc's..they should be able to advise..if you get a lot of pain as well it might be worth asking your doctor about naproxen,which is the same type of drug but stronger, you take that from a couple of days before, as well as during, and need omeprazole with that too..this is just reminding me that there are some advantages to menopause after all! hope you find some relief that suits you!

"

I think on your head be it, if you get an ulcer you cant take any nsaids ever again and then stuck on ace inhibitors for life... i know from experience, a week of using them and i was coughing up blood!

That sounds nasty, sorry that happened to you. I wasn't going to take them for a week, 2 or 3 days tops when the worst of it is over...I've taken them on occasion before with no issues at all for genuine reasons...lol, you guys are making me sound like a junkie, I rarely drink, eat healthy, I don't smoke, I take regular exercise...All I was doing was asking if anyone had used it with success, I guess that is a no...I was only asking!"

What people are saying is be careful, its a horrible thing and it affects what you can eat drink etc, even some fruit and veg i cant have anymore which is awful!

If you google inbuprofen issues there has been a lot of going on recently and they are calling for it to be a prescription only drug as people arent advised properly (like myself) and the outcomes are horrid!

Maybe look into some of the herbal remedies first and give it a go before trying that, id just hate for anyone else to have problems when it can be prevented.

9 days is horrid though I understand that my new implant caused a lot of problems when I first had it and i hated it but found beppy sponges to help get on with life and play whilst still on (with the guys consent) x

Poole

I have looked into the herbal remedys, tried a few, I thought the beppe sponge might be a good idea when I heard about them in here, but I am scared of not getting it out, I have short fingers and a tilted womb, oh god shoot me now!

Poole

"

That is exactly what I was thinking, thank you Did your gynae say how much to take? x

i really cant remember exactly, it was the higher strength ones though,and not some massive amount..i think twice the dose twice in a day...maybe ask a pharmacist, quicker than going to the doc's..they should be able to advise..if you get a lot of pain as well it might be worth asking your doctor about naproxen,which is the same type of drug but stronger, you take that from a couple of days before, as well as during, and need omeprazole with that too..this is just reminding me that there are some advantages to menopause after all! hope you find some relief that suits you!"

Thanks again ?? I am 46 and have got this far without hormones, I have been told by a doctor that the copper in the coil causes this reaction sometimes, weighing up the pros and cons it is still the best method for me...thanks for all the input Guys x

i take a heap of meds for back problems- maxed out on 240 mg codeine a day and 1000 mg naproxen (ant- inflammatory) plus omeprozole to protect the gut - im almost 55 and still have regular monthlies so i can pretty much say that that kind of medication will not lessen your flow - just go see your doc or chat to your family planning clinic staff

I'm off for an abalation later, have read very good things about it, so hoping it helps me!

"Stay well clear of ibuprofen, too many take excess amounts and end up with ulcers which can perforate and lead to internal bleeding. "

You would need to be on it for a long time ever day for a chronic conditon for that to occur and in such a case youd be presvribed somethinf lile omprezole to take with it to protect your stomach

"I'm off for an abalation later, have read very good things about it, so hoping it helps me! "

Let me know how it goes. I'm going for that doing hopefully later in the year x

You would need to be on it for a long time ever day for a chronic conditon for that to occur and in such a case youd be presvribed somethinf lile omprezole to take with it to protect your stomach"

I took it for a week and got an ulcer which was bleeding as most people just buy it over the counter and arent told to take omprezole with it, a lot dont eat enough or anything with them either as they think it will be ok.

Im speaking from an actual experience not just some google medical check

"i take a heap of meds for back problems- maxed out on 240 mg codeine a day and 1000 mg naproxen (ant- inflammatory) plus omeprozole to protect the gut - im almost 55 and still have regular monthlies so i can pretty much say that that kind of medication will not lessen your flow - just go see your doc or chat to your family planning clinic staff "

Yeah. I took ibuprofen on prescription for quite a while when I injured myself.

It didn't change my periods.

» Add a new message to this topic