FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swingers Chat > computer technician??

computer technician??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

HELP

My external hard drive which has all my family photos as well as all my 'fab' ones has kicked the bucket

When I plug it in it says drive f needs to be formatted before u can use it. Obv I don't wanna do that as I will lose all the stuff on it.

I could prob put it into a computer shop but .............

Any advice or tips or offers of help greatly appreciated

Lou xxxx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I had this but cant remember how i fixed it but sure it was something simple im sure i googled it

"I had this but cant remember how i fixed it but sure it was something simple im sure i googled it"
try it in a diffrent computer first

"I had this but cant remember how i fixed it but sure it was something simple im sure i googled ittry it in a diffrent computer first "

I have it did the same thing last week and I finally got it working again but been plugging and unplugging and rebooting for 2 hours and getting nowhere xx

Agree with swingerdelight..google it

By *reybearMan  over a year ago

medway

Hi, this my thing (geek mode on) and unfortunately means that the hard disk has failed..... There are people who can recover data but its bloody expensive and of course they will see it... The best suggestion I have is that as there are 2 parts to an ext hdd the drive itself and the interface that if you remove the drive from the enclosure you may be lucky and still have the data... If this makes no sense contact me and I'll see if I can help

it sounds like the master boot record has been lost. if you Google how to fix a damaged mbr you should be able to repair it. just make sure you dont format it as you will loose the files. I do data recovery and if you are at a loss let me know and I can sort some programs for you to recover your files without you having to send it away.

Dave

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

There is software you can download to recover your data from the drive. Was it originally all in one partition or did it show as multiple drives?

This is one thing I do like about Fabs.... people do try and help others.

Keep it up

"it sounds like the master boot record has been lost. if you Google how to fix a damaged mbr you should be able to repair it. just make sure you dont format it as you will loose the files. I do data recovery and if you are at a loss let me know and I can sort some programs for you to recover your files without you having to send it away.

Dave"

Also, if it's FAT formatted, try plugging it into a Mac rather than a PC and see if that can read it, I've had success with similar problems doing this when it's been recognised on one but not the other for some reason (Both ways round). I know it's clutching at straws but worth a go

OK - I'm not very good at this so here goes

I don't want to start taking it apart if i can help it. It used to show up on the computer as f drive (or jk harddrive) and I tried googling it but they were talking about device manager and unchecking yellow ticks etc etc and there are no yellow ticks to uncheck xx

If all else fails try a hard drive caddy so it will make the drive us connectable usually works

Yep it sounds buggered to me but if it did it last week n u salvaged, it surely that should have rang alarm bells to back up all the things u didn't want seen n all the priceless family pics incase it happened again, but good luck trying to sort it

"Yep it sounds buggered to me but if it did it last week n u salvaged, it surely that should have rang alarm bells to back up all the things u didn't want seen n all the priceless family pics incase it happened again, but good luck trying to sort it "

It eventually came up and asked me if I wanted to scan and fix - which i did and then it worked fine - I was in a rush as we were heading out and this is the first time i've had a chance to look at it again

how old is the drive? and what size? are we talking the size of a DVD case or the size of a baccy tin?

In Your Bush

Go into my computer. Right click drive f and there will be an option to scan and repair somewhere. Sorry cant be more specific I'm on my phone

"how old is the drive? and what size? are we talking the size of a DVD case or the size of a baccy tin?"

it's about 4 years old and its just a bit bigger than an iphone xx

you could try a new caddy for it before going down the data recovery route. go on eBay and buy a 2.5" Sata usb caddy. you can then remove the drive from your old one and put it into the new one. it's one big plug so there is nothing you can get wrong once you have the drive out of the old caddy. it's only 5 quid or so on eBay so not an expensive item if it doesn't work.

"Go into my computer. Right click drive f and there will be an option to scan and repair somewhere. Sorry cant be more specific I'm on my phone"

it only gives me the option to scan and when i click that it says F:/ is not accessable data Error(cyclic redundancy check)

xx

In Your Bush

"Go into my computer. Right click drive f and there will be an option to scan and repair somewhere. Sorry cant be more specific I'm on my phone

it only gives me the option to scan and when i click that it says F:/ is not accessable data Error(cyclic redundancy check)

xx"

Try another caddy then it could be the board inside and run chkdsk/F

"Go into my computer. Right click drive f and there will be an option to scan and repair somewhere. Sorry cant be more specific I'm on my phone

xx"

this is going to sound odd but it somtimes works take the drive caddy apart get a clean makeup brush and clean all the dust of the circuit board then try it again as it only takes little bit of dust to short it out

If its just a normal hard drive thats in an enclosure then take it out and try changing the enlosure that its in..so many people diagnose this or that when it can be something so simple.

By *coobyroo218Couple  over a year ago

Guernsey

As said try an another caddy for it and see what happens.

This should be a lesson to all, always back up else where, we all have cameras of some description and download pics from all sorts of devices but when the storage device packs up you loose everything, well ok there are places that can get the data but do you really want them to see the special pics you have of yourself or with others??

I back up three times, learned the hard way, all my pics both from my photography and our special pics are on the pc the lap top and an external hard drive, I even every now and then but not always got o disc aswell.

Good luck with recovering the pics

P

Try a different data cable first, if that fails

Easeus Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition

A google search for "data recovery" will yield plenty

There is other free software for data recovery just make sure you recover to a separate drive

Or download a linux distribution and use it as a live CD to browse the drive

"As said try an another caddy for it and see what happens.

This should be a lesson to all, always back up else where, we all have cameras of some description and download pics from all sorts of devices but when the storage device packs up you loose everything, well ok there are places that can get the data but do you really want them to see the special pics you have of yourself or with others??

I back up three times, learned the hard way, all my pics both from my photography and our special pics are on the pc the lap top and an external hard drive, I even every now and then but not always got o disc aswell.

Good luck with recovering the pics

P"

With 3 kids in the house it's a bit more difficult to have naughty pics everywhere xx

accessoriescommand prompt right click run as administrator chkdsk j:/f

J being the drive letter

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

The data can be retrieved but it's not necessarily an easy task unfortunately. If you're up for it then you can mount the drive in Linux and use dd to try to retrieve the files - Linux might seem strange if you've not used it before however. Alternatively look for something called Hiren's Boot CD, which comes with some data recovery tools built-in.

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

...another thought - try the demo version of Disk Genius. It won't retrieve the files it can recover but it will tell you if they can be recovered so you can decide whether to buy it or not.

Got messaged by a lovely fabber who talked me thro fixing the cache and i have now managed to back up all the files onto my little netbook and am now in the process of backing up again onto my laptop.

the hdd does seem to be working now but backing up just in case.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to try and help - ur a good bunch - cheers xxx

Glad to hear u fixed it n have managed to back up the important stuff like those priceless family pics xxx

In Your Bush

"Got messaged by a lovely fabber who talked me thro fixing the cache and i have now managed to back up all the files onto my little netbook and am now in the process of backing up again onto my laptop.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to try and help - ur a good bunch - cheers xxx"

Cool now bin it lol

Can anyone help me out ? My pc starts up , a few things flash up on screen then it starts all over again .like a stuck record .. Looks like a trip to pc world is on the horizon !

By *reybearMan  over a year ago

medway

Gary glitter thought that was a good idea too!

Rebooting PC:

This is probably a duff driver issue. What have you installed recently? Start PC in safe mode. Right click on my computer and select properties or go through control panel. Look at devices delete any where there are multiple drivers listed. And any that are showing any errors. Then reboot see what happens.

Hard drive issue.

Buy another one today. Whilst its working make a copy. And use the old one to make a regular backup copy of the new one. You should always have at least one backup.

Ok thanks for the info , will try it

"Got messaged by a lovely fabber who talked me thro fixing the cache and i have now managed to back up all the files onto my little netbook and am now in the process of backing up again onto my laptop.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to try and help - ur a good bunch - cheers xxx"

Nice one, glad you're sorted

[Removed by poster at 30/09/12 01:47:28]

Glad it's sorted. Make sure you have a backup in future though. An online solution like mozy or carbonite is good, or buy a NAS with multiple hard drives so you have some redundancy.

M

"Can anyone help me out ? My pc starts up , a few things flash up on screen then it starts all over again .like a stuck record .. Looks like a trip to pc world is on the horizon ! "

Which will cost you an arm and a leg so go somewhere else

A NAS should not be regarded as a backup strategy. Even a NAS can fail.

"A NAS should not be regarded as a backup strategy. Even a NAS can fail."

I wasn't suggesting it as a backup, just an improvement over a single hard drive. NAS and a backup strategy is what I have.

M

Hi, I'm having exactly same problem as you, what did you do to resolve, bought a new hard drive, just want to retrieve files from the one thats no longer working

I have a couple if drives that I regularly back up to. I also write on them the date I purchased them so I know roughly when it might be time to buy a new one. I also backup some stuff onto a cloud service like Dropbox for added assurance. Obviously there's certain things I wouldn't upload on there because of the risks of it being hacked.

My dog ate my phone and managed to bite the memory card in half. 2 years worth of real life and sex memories ;-( digital is so flimsy. Its great we can cut out the photo developer from our kinky photographing these days, but its sad there are no wallets of eternal glossy photos anymore. I feel yr pain huni xxx

» Add a new message to this topic