FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swingers Chat > Lol, is it overused???

Lol, is it overused???

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Now that text speak is commonly used , it seems people overuse lol, haha etc when writing messages and posts on here. Often the sentence does not warrant it, and maybe it's just a nervous laugh or some sort of tourettes, I will refrain from ending this post with lol, a smiley face , as it's a very serious matter that needs addressing

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Lol pmsl love it xx

admitedly im not laughing out loud all the time i do use 'lol' however when people can not hear the tone of voice or the way i mean for my messages or text to come across i think that it often helps to indicate the context in which i mean things. Smileys are great for this too

Sometimes they are mis-used I agree. I would like to believe I don't mis-used them in my posts!

"admitedly im not laughing out loud all the time i do use 'lol' however when people can not hear the tone of voice or the way i mean for my messages or text to come across i think that it often helps to indicate the context in which i mean things. Smileys are great for this too"

I agree, it does help to add some sort of emotion to the written word, however before text speak was invented we all seemed to manage ok,

yes it's over used but DILLIGAF

what u suggest we use instead?

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"admitedly im not laughing out loud all the time i do use 'lol' however when people can not hear the tone of voice or the way i mean for my messages or text to come across i think that it often helps to indicate the context in which i mean things. Smileys are great for this too

I agree, it does help to add some sort of emotion to the written word, however before text speak was invented we all seemed to manage ok,"

Before text speak "was invented" as you put it, would we all have been typing messages on an internet forum and needing to use lol/ haha/ etc? Probably not as we would more likely have spoken face to face with people and then they could have seen if we were finding what we/ they were saying and therefore no need for using lol

"I agree, it does help to add some sort of emotion to the written word, however before text speak was invented we all seemed to manage ok,"

i've just grown up with it i guess and its just habit now. (refrains from typing lol on this thread)

My bank lets me send a text message and it'll text back with my balance.

It's a cool feature but I didn't think the 'LOL' was necessary.

I still have pen-pals who are not native english speakers yet we understand the written word to each other without the need for emoticons and text speak.

Seems that every thread I read and go to post on, the same ones are bickering away.

Thank you.... I'm off the forums till playtime is over.

Tayside

Seriously boys! If you want to argue with each other it would be better if it was in PM's as that way the rest of us adults don't have to read it!

"Now that text speak is commonly used , it seems people overuse lol, haha etc when writing messages and posts on here. Often the sentence does not warrant it, and maybe it's just a nervous laugh or some sort of tourettes, I will refrain from ending this post with lol, a smiley face , as it's a very serious matter that needs addressing"

i never use it cant abide it actually .....

I text using long hand, as I can never get my head round text speak!

"Seriously boys! If you want to argue with each other it would be better if it was in PM's as that way the rest of us adults don't have to read it! "

Are you a Mod??

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Seriously boys! If you want to argue with each other it would be better if it was in PM's as that way the rest of us adults don't have to read it! "

this is what happens when people always feel the need to have the last word.......

anyway..... back to the op....

i am guilty of using smiley and emoticons a lot.... but as for actual text speak.. not me at all....

I agree with the poster about getting the "Tone" used. It is so easy to read perhaps a tongue in cheek comment as a sarcastic, or abusive message.

Especially with all the super sensitive's on here!!

By the way (BTW) what do these faces

Mean?? I take them to mean michevious trouble making cheeky... not nasty or angry...

Imust admit i do admire simon for his so blunt comments,always makes me laugh,it needs more like him on here...well done you xx

By *londieddWoman  over a year ago

fife

i detest it!!!

how are you lol? what the fucks funny about that?

i mention in my profile how much i detest it, if i get a message from someone and every other word is followed by it i assume they have a learning difficulty, and therefor not what im looking for so i delete and block.

As I have said before, there is more ways than one to say the same thing, some ways are a lot easier to swallow than others!

I know which way I prefer!

"I agree with the poster about getting the "Tone" used. It is so easy to read perhaps a tongue in cheek comment as a sarcastic, or abusive message.

Especially with all the super sensitive's on here!!

By the way (BTW) what do these faces

Mean?? I take them to mean michevious trouble making cheeky... not nasty or angry..."

I totally agree, they are subjective so can be misleading, I think it's just a lazy way to write, but in the other hand they do have their uses.

By *londieddWoman  over a year ago

fife

"Now that text speak is commonly used , it seems people overuse lol, haha etc when writing messages and posts on here. Often the sentence does not warrant it, and maybe it's just a nervous laugh or some sort of tourettes, I will refrain from ending this post with lol, a smiley face , as it's a very serious matter that needs addressing

i never use it cant abide it actually ..... "

me neither, i think a lot of people use it as a cover up for their inability to spell and use correct grammar

it's just easier, ye it's overused, but whats' the alternative? It could be lazy writting, but it's a forum, not a uni essay, or your job....I would never dream of putting lol on a c.v for instance....but on here i dnt see any harm, if you dont like it dnt use it......and i ent sensative, i just asked why?....but 4get i crnt be arsed. and _abio i love getting the last word in

Im sure we all have our own interpritations of what the emoticons (smilies) mean..

I think that a picture can sometimes speak louder than words and can sum up quite nicely what a person is 'thinking/feeling' in regards to a message by just including one.

eg. - blushing.. either through being embarrassed or flattery

Those who like to have the last words don't cut any mustard in my book! It is not a personality trait that appeals to me.

Give it another 20 years and vowels will be defunct too

"Those who like to have the last words don't cut any mustard in my book! It is not a personality trait that appeals to me. "

i really like it, i wish every1 wanted the last word....the world would be a better place

"Now that text speak is commonly used , it seems people overuse lol, haha etc when writing messages and posts on here. Often the sentence does not warrant it, and maybe it's just a nervous laugh or some sort of tourettes, I will refrain from ending this post with lol, a smiley face , as it's a very serious matter that needs addressing"

lol, you cannot be serious?

Better place for what?

More egomaniacs who believe they are better than anyone else?

Yeah right!

lolwut?

"Now that text speak is commonly used , it seems people overuse lol, haha etc when writing messages and posts on here. Often the sentence does not warrant it, and maybe it's just a nervous laugh or some sort of tourettes, I will refrain from ending this post with lol, a smiley face , as it's a very serious matter that needs addressing

lol, you cannot be serious? "

Deadly serious, or am I???

John McEnroe, my favourite tennis player, and I still think he is HOT now!

By *eeking Maid MarianMan  over a year ago

Sherwood Forest N Notts

I am totally in agreement with BlondieDD.... I detest the expression. I am even seeing the (to my mind) dreaded "L"-word used in formal correspondence and regularly in e-mails within Blue-chip organizationsn.

Whatever next?

Mike

DN22

Do phones come with this speak test available as predicted because if mine doesnt recognise a word it asks me to spell it and stores for future use.

I assume everyone using text speak has to load it into their own dictionary which must take an age so its not exactly time saving. Certain words - lyk, for example is it that much more easy to key in than like?

Im afraid my brain would have to be completely rewired to get round this language - it has no rules

As for smileys and LOL's theyre there for lack of body language where you would give a smile were you face to face so give out a social message incase something is taken wrong way - which is very easy to do.

By *oDownEasyMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

In forums and PMs here I think lol & its ilk have yjeir place,especially as we are unable to use bold,italics, etc to convey meaning with properly spelt words. It is hard enough to convey a "witty" meaning in writing without causing offence, without them it would be even worse.

Andy x

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

* sigh *

Ok, can people just ignore each other or take their tiffs to a more private place please.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Seriously boys! If you want to argue with each other it would be better if it was in PM's as that way the rest of us adults don't have to read it!

Are you a Mod??"

No, but anyone can ask people can they take their rows private, as it spoils it for other posters.

[Removed by poster at 31/07/11 17:04:59]

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

LOL

"LOL"

Haha, now that made me pmsl.

I've noticed people adding emoticons and "lol" to acerbic posts to "soften" them: I'm never fooled!

Lol is overused: it's one thing receiving message with "lol" from my kids. From the company solicitors?!!

I wasn't impressed!

Tayside

"Seriously boys! If you want to argue with each other it would be better if it was in PM's as that way the rest of us adults don't have to read it!

Are you a Mod??

No, but anyone can ask people can they take their rows private, as it spoils it for other posters."

Thanks, that saved me coming back to post it myself, LOL

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Are you a Mod??

No, but anyone can ask people can they take their rows private, as it spoils it for other posters.

Thanks, that saved me coming back to post it myself, LOL "

LOL

The one that gets right on ma tits is folks saying A S A P, easier n quicker to just say "soon as"!!

And a singular "?" in response,show stoppers, always, (ohhh had huge urge to end this with the much debated item just then), still do,help!!

» Add a new message to this topic