FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > World Wide > Gran Canaria (& Spanish Countries) Exchange Rates

Gran Canaria (& Spanish Countries) Exchange Rates

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ustusboth2013 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Birmingham

Used my Halifax debit card in Germany last month to get some Euros and with the transaction charge, it worked out to be about €1.31 to the pound.

In the UK used number 1 currency to get some more euros. If you start the transaction online, as opposed to directly in the shop, you get a slightly better rate. About 1.36.

Normally I will use my credit card (mbna) and always pay in Euro (don't convert to GBP as you'll get an additional charge to convert) as with the transaction charge, you get an impressive 1.37.

On my last night in GC, I ran out of euros, and like to have a few in my pocket.

I used my Santander 1,2,3 card, as I thought I was in Spain and might get a better deal. I was frustrated when my cash came out with no inkling before or after what the exchange rate was or if there was a transaction charge.

It would appear that checking my account, there is now charge to withdraw euros from the ATM (Santander ATM in Yumbo) and I got an amazing 1.397 exchange rate!!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

The full commercial rate at the moment is 1.415 which is (if my memory serves me correctly) around 3 or 4 cents better than around a month ago. So that would explain some of the difference.

By *osexyCouple  over a year ago

ST AUSTELL

"Used my Halifax debit card in Germany last month to get some Euros and with the transaction charge, it worked out to be about €1.31 to the pound.

In the UK used number 1 currency to get some more euros. If you start the transaction online, as opposed to directly in the shop, you get a slightly better rate. About 1.36.

Normally I will use my credit card (mbna) and always pay in Euro (don't convert to GBP as you'll get an additional charge to convert) as with the transaction charge, you get an impressive 1.37.

On my last night in GC, I ran out of euros, and like to have a few in my pocket.

I used my Santander 1,2,3 card, as I thought I was in Spain and might get a better deal. I was frustrated when my cash came out with no inkling before or after what the exchange rate was or if there was a transaction charge.

It would appear that checking my account, there is now charge to withdraw euros from the ATM (Santander ATM in Yumbo) and I got an amazing 1.397 exchange rate!!!!"

Santander charge a 1.5% of the value or £1.99 minimum charge. Unless its changed this week

By *ustusboth2013 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Birmingham

"Used my Halifax debit card in Germany last month to get some Euros and with the transaction charge, it worked out to be about €1.31 to the pound.

It would appear that checking my account, there is now charge to withdraw euros from the ATM (Santander ATM in Yumbo) and I got an amazing 1.397 exchange rate!!!!

Santander charge a 1.5% of the value or £1.99 minimum charge. Unless its changed this week "

I'm keeping an eye on my account to see if anything else gets taken out, but typically it is done at the same time.

A quick read would suggest there is no charge if you take out of your 1,2,3 account providing you pay more than £500 per month into it and that the transaction is made in Spain (or Spanish islands) and from a Santander ATM (not others). So this may suggest the charge rate, which is comparable to others.

For convenience I typically use my credit card with a 3% charge (no minimum). Generally offers the best exchange rate in my experience (better than exchanging money or loading up prepay cards), though I do need to review this, as it may have changed.

And definitely withdrawing with Santander has moved the goalposts!

» Add a new message to this topic