FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > USA > Assault weapon ban.

Assault weapon ban.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-gun-control-parkland-school-shooting-anniversary/

I don't see this going anywhere. Not when both sides voters are buying them like crazy.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Would you be in favour of a ban? Or restrictions on ownership?

Genuinely interested as I seem to remember you being keen shooters.

Neither it is a popular sporting rifle. I have shotguns that do the same exact thing. AR is not the problem. I am for mental health checks.

We are to huge handgun fans. Handguns are used more in mass shootings then . " Assault rifles ".

"We are to huge handgun fans. Handguns are used more in mass shootings then . " Assault rifles "."

Not

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This discussion is so silly. Assault weapons are already banned. This ban is for single-fire rifles that resemble the appearance of assault weapons. Also, assault weapons would be terrible for mass shootings. They are designed for a combatant to use for cover fire or suppressive fire while advancing on a defended position. Fully automatic machine guns are the terrifying aspect prospects weapon to use in a mass shooting. Those are also banned. I would say the next most dangerous weapon to use in a mass shooting would be a shot gun, which would be much more deadly and not included in a weapons ban on rifles that look like assault rifles. Neither assault weapons nor fully automatic machine guns are being used in mass shootings in recent memory.

"This discussion is so silly. Assault weapons are already banned. This ban is for single-fire rifles that resemble the appearance of assault weapons. Also, assault weapons would be terrible for mass shootings. They are designed for a combatant to use for cover fire or suppressive fire while advancing on a defended position. Fully automatic machine guns are the terrifying aspect prospects weapon to use in a mass shooting. Those are also banned. I would say the next most dangerous weapon to use in a mass shooting would be a shot gun, which would be much more deadly and not included in a weapons ban on rifles that look like assault rifles. Neither assault weapons nor fully automatic machine guns are being used in mass shootings in recent memory. "

I run a vr80 shotgun shotgun in 3 gun competition. It is not a banned weapon. It's is 10 times more devastating then a standard AR. People are going full retard over this debate . Uneducated .

It is because the weapon looks like a military grade weapon. People fear the unknown.

By *orky2Man  over a year ago

parkdean resort

Mrs Korky and I took the opportunity to fire some handguns at an indoor range in Las Vegas. Being Brits, it's not something that would be easily available to us back at home and we decided to give it a go just so we could say we've done it and know what it's like. When they wound the targets back so we could both see how we'd done, Mrs K's one had a fantastic grouping of hits around the,'nads area! (mental note to self.....!)

"Mrs Korky and I took the opportunity to fire some handguns at an indoor range in Las Vegas. Being Brits, it's not something that would be easily available to us back at home and we decided to give it a go just so we could say we've done it and know what it's like. When they wound the targets back so we could both see how we'd done, Mrs K's one had a fantastic grouping of hits around the,'nads area! (mental note to self.....!) "

Lol sounded like fun. Did you enjoy shooting ?

By *orky2Man  over a year ago

parkdean resort

It was certainly different, but I'll never let Mrs K get her hands on a gun again...... She's too accurate!

"It was certainly different, but I'll never let Mrs K get her hands on a gun again...... She's too accurate! "

Haha

"It was certainly different, but I'll never let Mrs K get her hands on a gun again...... She's too accurate!

Haha "

It's our culture.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

It's our culture. "

And with the current make up of the Supreme Court I cannot see there being any room for change.

As a personal view I always thought that the SC was wrong when it downplayed the first part of the 2nd amendment: "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

If there isn't some form of registration, how can the militia be called out effectively if required?

"

It's our culture.

And with the current make up of the Supreme Court I cannot see there being any room for change.

As a personal view I always thought that the SC was wrong when it downplayed the first part of the 2nd amendment: "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

If there isn't some form of registration, how can the militia be called out effectively if required?

"

Registration at local gun clubs. Plenty of ways to assemble.

By *un KnightsCouple  over a year ago

South West

The idea of banning any form of gun in the US is totally misplaced.

The genie is out of the bottle with regards to the number of guns in circulation.

Picking any type to ban will merely have them dissappear and make criminals of honest citizens. The real criminal fraternity will always have access to and use of firearms legal or not.

Just think of prohibition and how it failed.

There should however be some mental health checks though that is not without its own problems. Crimes of passion and suicide are mostly unplanned spur of the moment acts and so hard to prevent once a firearm is in the home and easily accessible.

There is sadly no perfect solution though mandatory training would help prevent some of the idiots mishandling accidents.

This would also help create jobs in the training and range industries.

As for banning guns based on their look... Well we all know that is either uninformed lack of subject matter or a position taken for political advantage. It certainly has no place in factual evidence based decisions.

"The idea of banning any form of gun in the US is totally misplaced.

The genie is out of the bottle with regards to the number of guns in circulation.

Picking any type to ban will merely have them dissappear and make criminals of honest citizens. The real criminal fraternity will always have access to and use of firearms legal or not.

There should however be some mental health checks though that is not without its own problems. Crimes of passion and suicide are mostly unplanned spur of the moment acts and so hard to prevent once a firearm is in the home and easily accessible.

There is sadly no perfect solution though mandatory training would help prevent some of the idiots mishandling accidents.

As for banning guns based on their look... Well we all know that is either uninformed lack of subject matter or a position taken for political advantage. It certainly has no place in factual evidence based decisions. "

Handguns are the real issue. Not ARs. But people see a AR as the deciding factor of mass shootings when they are not.

South West

"

Handguns are the real issue. Not ARs. But people see a AR as the deciding factor of mass shootings when they are not."

When an active shooter goes on a spree with an AR type platform there can be a large number of fatalities.

The press feed on these events and then the people are given the impression that everyone is dying due to this type of gun. Banning them will cure the problem.

With the number of fatal gun involved deaths a year in the US compared to the number of spree killings it quickly becomes obvious that yes handguns are killing the majority. One by one on a daily and not very newsworthy manner.

It is when all is said and done still a largely academic discussion because as said we do not believe you will ever be able to remove guns from circulation in America.

On a cherrier note we love you Tshirts and the body in them.

"

Handguns are the real issue. Not ARs. But people see a AR as the deciding factor of mass shootings when they are not.

When an active shooter goes on a spree with an AR type platform there can be a large number of fatalities.

The press feed on these events and then the people are given the impression that everyone is dying due to this type of gun. Banning them will cure the problem.

With the number of fatal gun involved deaths a year in the US compared to the number of spree killings it quickly becomes obvious that yes handguns are killing the majority. One by one on a daily and not very newsworthy manner.

It is when all is said and done still a largely academic discussion because as said we do not believe you will ever be able to remove guns from circulation in America.

On a cherrier note we love you Tshirts and the body in them. "

Hubby and I changed alot of people's perceptions on firearms. People that never fired one. We invite them to get a clear picture on the different types. M1garand 8mm mauser with clips. Then shot gun with 00buck. Then AR platform and pistols. They all see why the AR is liked. It's is fear of unknown that drives people's perceptions.

South West

On a two way range situation when close quarters (think home invasion) an untrained shooter with a 12gauge would worry me far more than the same with an AR.

But it is funny that my VR 80 is not considered a assault rifle. Yet it is a shotgun on a AR platform.

South West

We are not hands on familiar with the VR80 but in definition terms to make it a rifle it would have to have a rifled barrel with lands and grooves. This is probably the reason it is still a shotgun.

It does look interesting though and I would like to compare itbto a more traditional 3 gun shotgun.

"We are not hands on familiar with the VR80 but in definition terms to make it a rifle it would have to have a rifled barrel with lands and grooves. This is probably the reason it is still a shotgun.

It does look interesting though and I would like to compare itbto a more traditional 3 gun shotgun. "

I use it for comp. It has the familarity and ergonomics of my AR. Easier to practice with it a fun gun.

By *reeneggsandsamMan  over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

Some of my favourite you tube channels are gun tubers, and having fired a lot of calibres in the UK and shot most of my life (I choose not to now) I believe that the US's gun culture is here to stay. And so are the guns. If you think about the sheer number of guns in the US, if they stopped importing and making guns tomorrow, it would still take 200 years for guns to go away.

There's so many guns in the US I believe that some " assault weapons ban" would barely even scratch the surface. As had been said before, it's the un legislated guns in the hands of the criminals and crazies that are the problem.

It is however Americas problem and not the rest of the world. S

"Some of my favourite you tube channels are gun tubers, and having fired a lot of calibres in the UK and shot most of my life (I choose not to now) I believe that the US's gun culture is here to stay. And so are the guns. If you think about the sheer number of guns in the US, if they stopped importing and making guns tomorrow, it would still take 200 years for guns to go away.

There's so many guns in the US I believe that some " assault weapons ban" would barely even scratch the surface. As had been said before, it's the un legislated guns in the hands of the criminals and crazies that are the problem.

It is however Americas problem and not the rest of the world. S

"

Gun sales soared since the beginning of the pandemic and civil unrest. The only weapon I see getting banned is ghost guns. I am perfectly fine with that.

By *atonMan  over a year ago

barnet

As for banning guns based on their look... Well we all know that is either uninformed lack of subject matter or a position taken for political advantage. It certainly has no place in factual evidence based decisions. "

Absolute the u.s. is reaping the repercussions of its own madness

As for banning guns based on their look... Well we all know that is either uninformed lack of subject matter or a position taken for political advantage. It certainly has no place in factual evidence based decisions. Absolute the u.s. is reaping the repercussions of its own madness "

We fine it is the I'll informed that are the problem.

By *ykmwyldTV/TS  over a year ago

Belpre

I don't agree with an assault weapon ban, it's a pointless move at best. The military look of an assault weapon has no practical bearing what so ever. There are many rifles that aren't classified as assault rifles that are just as dangerous, can shoot just as many rounds per minute, and are even more accurate in many cases.

So, what's the point of an assault weapon ban, other than to just make gun enthusiasts angry, and to pacify gun control advocates,

Absolutely none !

"I don't agree with an assault weapon ban, it's a pointless move at best. The military look of an assault weapon has no practical bearing what so ever. There are many rifles that aren't classified as assault rifles that are just as dangerous, can shoot just as many rounds per minute, and are even more accurate in many cases.

So, what's the point of an assault weapon ban, other than to just make gun enthusiasts angry, and to pacify gun control advocates,

Absolutely none !"

I agree it's absurd but the general public sees military carrying a similar weapon and the fear gets instilled in them. Just like everything else it is understanding that fear before you condemn it.

By *eachlife49Man  over a year ago

ocean

No ban look what happened when they banned booze

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Remember that there was an assault weapons ban... and it was a bipartisan assault weapon ban, that was signed under the Clinton administration...

It lasted for 10 years.... it lapsed under the bush administration

All Biden wants to do is reinstate that ban... it’s not radical because we have been here before

2A gives you the right to bear arms..... but it doesn’t give you the right to bear any arms you want! For example automatic weapons are banned for a reason!

I am still awaiting a reasonable argument as to why a civilian should own an AR-15..... I am still awaiting a reasonable answer

There is common sense gun control measures that should not be controversial.... removing the gun show loophole for example! Proper background checks and extending the period to do such checks! Banning extended magazine rounds (why do you need 30 bullets for a gun that 6-10 bullets would not achieve!)

If people want more control over a woman’s body than they do over a gun... you know things are messed up!

If you need a military type assault weapon to hunt... then stick to fishing!

By *unnyPairCouple  over a year ago

Seminole

Not everyone should own a gun, therefore background checks are necessary. Not everyone should be able to vote, drive, or practice medicine either. Nothing wrong with background checks that work except that those who wish to own a gun, vote, drive or practice medicine will figure out a way to do it anyway if they know they shouldn’t be allowed to.

More people shot in the city of Chicago on the same day this immigrant went psycho In Colorado.

Colorado shooter used a AR15 style pistol. Not AR15. 10 dead

Atlanta's shooter used 9mm pistol 8 dead.

Where does a standard AR15 come in to play ?

Both are concealed hence the ease of not being seen with it. Pistols are the issue.

By *urham 3 riversMan  over a year ago

Co. Durham

"We are not hands on familiar with the VR80 but in definition terms to make it a rifle it would have to have a rifled barrel with lands and grooves. This is probably the reason it is still a shotgun.

It does look interesting though and I would like to compare itbto a more traditional 3 gun shotgun.

I use it for comp. It has the familarity and ergonomics of my AR. Easier to practice with it a fun gun."

yes practice for when you use an AR !!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/america-s-rifle-why-so-many-people-love-ar-15-n831171

So people have a clue.

» Add a new message to this topic