uk looking to move to usa

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

im currently living in uk want to start a fresh live in usa

these the jobs i could do

tree surgeon

bus driver /coach

lorry driver

i want to know where beat oppurtunities are can some one point me in the right direction please thank you

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I believe you have to prove that there is no one already in USA who can do that job

thank u sally have u ever been therw or

By *entlemanFoxMan  over a year ago

North East / London

Hi,

I have lived in the US. To be honest I think you are going to struggle. You will need a work visa aka 'green card'. They are really difficult to get. Without an employment sponsor almost impossible.

The other factor is that the cost of living is much more expensive. One of the biggest issues is healthcare is not free at the point of use.

Have you thought about Canada?

Leeds

A relative with no experience has just gone to work in Australia in an iron mine and is well paid

Leeds

"thank u sally have u ever been therw or "

My daughter and her husband went there in January. Although he has a job waiting for him he still hasn't received his Green Card so he can't work and it could be another six months. My daughter has an Academic visa so he can remain there as her "dependent spouse" until he can start work.

thats amazing guys thanks it hard to try and find a job as im apply from over in wales they dont get back to u at the moment which is difficult . id love to go there though x

By *atssleepanywhereTV/TS  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

If you go to work in the USA you might do better to find work before you go and visit on a work visa for a fixed period. You can't just buy a one way ticket and hope for the best on a tourist visa because you'll likely be stopped at the airport.

The USA has two very common languages one of these is Spanish if you're not fluent in Spanish you will struggle to get work.

If you want to do it properly you need enough money to survive at least a year in one place without working. Apply for a Green card and once you have that you can apply for a social security number in your state.

The American health care system is terrible and over priced. A simple visit to the A&E (Emergency Room) can cost thousands of dollars.

UK qualifications don't really mean that much to most Americans.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"If you go to work in the USA you might do better to find work before you go and visit on a work visa for a fixed period. You can't just buy a one way ticket and hope for the best on a tourist visa because you'll likely be stopped at the airport.

The USA has two very common languages one of these is Spanish if you're not fluent in Spanish you will struggle to get work.

If you want to do it properly you need enough money to survive at least a year in one place without working. Apply for a Green card and once you have that you can apply for a social security number in your state.

The American health care system is terrible and over priced. A simple visit to the A&E (Emergency Room) can cost thousands of dollars.

UK qualifications don't really mean that much to most Americans. "

Not true it depends on the insurance plan you choose. I am a pharmacist in the UK average salary is up to 60k . Here I make 130k with my insurance on anything is covered. 500 dollar deductible. Out of pocket expense weekly is 42 usd. It's how you choose what insurance you want.

By *regoniansCouple  over a year ago

Oundle

Bluntly, unless you marry a US citizen (and even that process is fraught) or are prepared to overstay a visa, you've no chance. Try Canada instead.

By *ay40Man  over a year ago

Kinross

"im currently living in uk want to start a fresh live in usa

tree surgeon

bus driver /coach

lorry driver

i want to know where beat oppurtunities are can some one point me in the right direction please thank you "

Forget the usa unless you have £1 million in savings where you can start a business with 6 employees minimum.

I had a friend relocate to Canada over 20 years back as a tree surgeon but he had a road accident across there and is no longer with us.

If you can find a company who has offices in USA you could apply to work for them and then request relocation, as long as you do not have any convictions/police record.

You cannot even enroll in the green card lottery when you live in the UK

awww no way so my chances are very slim then lol :/

"awww no way so my chances are very slim then lol :/"

Shag a president. That'll get you in.

Oundle

"im currently living in uk want to start a fresh live in usa

tree surgeon

bus driver /coach

lorry driver

i want to know where beat oppurtunities are can some one point me in the right direction please thank you

Forget the usa unless you have £1 million in savings where you can start a business with 6 employees minimum.

I had a friend relocate to Canada over 20 years back as a tree surgeon but he had a road accident across there and is no longer with us.

If you can find a company who has offices in USA you could apply to work for them and then request relocation, as long as you do not have any convictions/police record.

You cannot even enroll in the green card lottery when you live in the UK "

$500K if you invest in a target area. Incredibly when we applied the Flats on Seattle's south side was one of them.

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

I've got quite a few.family and friend living in Canada and that seems the place to go.

By *atssleepanywhereTV/TS  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"

Not true it depends on the insurance plan you choose. I am a pharmacist in the UK average salary is up to 60k . Here I make 130k with my insurance on anything is covered. 500 dollar deductible. Out of pocket expense weekly is 42 usd. It's how you choose what insurance you want.

Wow that's really expensive. What you essentially have is insurance in name only any you'covering your treatment costs out of pocket in addition to your other living costs while you are sick. Many Americans self medicate because they can't afford care. "

Oundle

"

Wow that's really expensive. What you essentially have is insurance in name only any you'covering your treatment costs out of pocket in addition to your other living costs while you are sick. Many Americans self medicate because they can't afford care. "

Earlier you said it would be difficult to get a job without Spanish language skills. Incorrect, I just checked the main agency site for Salem OR, of 6,197 job ads, just 652 openings even mention Spanish. Away from the West Coast, Florida and the border states there is even less demand for Spanish.

As for healthcare, to say that the system is terrible is also an ill-informed generalism. Since 2010 the Federal Assistance programme and Medicaid can (I stress can) provide cover for the poorest Americans even with underlying health issues. Even someone on the equivalent of the UK mean salary of £31k per annum would have most of the premia paid by the government. Sadly, and here I don't disagree, the vast majority of "Americans" without any cover are undocumented aliens, and for obvious reasons.

My family has experienced healthcare in the US - and yes, we were insured - and I can only say the healthcare there is first class: no wait times, same day assessments, and extensive checks that we couldn't believe. My son has a condition which underwent a full day long assessment which lasted 10 minutes here. When I was ill with unexplained sweats, I was seen the same afternoon and underwent 2 hours of every test imaginable.

Many of the healthcare plans cover the ever burgeoning substance abuse problems and also include social care costs. My premium was $440/month admittedly with the deductible covered by my employer. Roughly the same as you'd pay in National Insurance (excluding employer contribution), the premia are tax deductible in a country with lower income tax and I'd argue lower cost of living especially housing.

As for things like cancer: 5 year survival rates in the US are 10-50% better (depending on type of cancer) than the UK pre-covid, and 4 of the top 5 cancer treatment centers worldwide are in the US. The world's leading authority on autism is based in Salem and at OHSU in Portland.

Sweeping statements are so easy to make. Oh and by the way, my wife works in the NHS.

"

Wow that's really expensive. What you essentially have is insurance in name only any you'covering your treatment costs out of pocket in addition to your other living costs while you are sick. Many Americans self medicate because they can't afford care.

Earlier you said it would be difficult to get a job without Spanish language skills. Incorrect, I just checked the main agency site for Salem OR, of 6,197 job ads, just 652 openings even mention Spanish. Away from the West Coast, Florida and the border states there is even less demand for Spanish.

As for healthcare, to say that the system is terrible is also an ill-informed generalism. Since 2010 the Federal Assistance programme and Medicaid can (I stress can) provide cover for the poorest Americans even with underlying health issues. Even someone on the equivalent of the UK mean salary of £31k per annum would have most of the premia paid by the government. Sadly, and here I don't disagree, the vast majority of "Americans" without any cover are undocumented aliens, and for obvious reasons.

My family has experienced healthcare in the US - and yes, we were insured - and I can only say the healthcare there is first class: no wait times, same day assessments, and extensive checks that we couldn't believe. My son has a condition which underwent a full day long assessment which lasted 10 minutes here. When I was ill with unexplained sweats, I was seen the same afternoon and underwent 2 hours of every test imaginable.

Many of the healthcare plans cover the ever burgeoning substance abuse problems and also include social care costs. My premium was $440/month admittedly with the deductible covered by my employer. Roughly the same as you'd pay in National Insurance (excluding employer contribution), the premia are tax deductible in a country with lower income tax and I'd argue lower cost of living especially housing.

As for things like cancer: 5 year survival rates in the US are 10-50% better (depending on type of cancer) than the UK pre-covid, and 4 of the top 5 cancer treatment centers worldwide are in the US. The world's leading authority on autism is based in Salem and at OHSU in Portland.

Sweeping statements are so easy to make. Oh and by the way, my wife works in the NHS."

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS  over a year ago

doncaster

I'd suggest Canada is the best way to go

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

get published in the arts and you might just get a lovely 0-1 lifetime visa for being an individual with extraordinary ability or achievement .... just like mine

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"If you go to work in the USA you might do better to find work before you go and visit on a work visa for a fixed period. You can't just buy a one way ticket and hope for the best on a tourist visa because you'll likely be stopped at the airport.

UK qualifications don't really mean that much to most Americans.

Not true it depends on the insurance plan you choose. I am a pharmacist in the UK average salary is up to 60k . Here I make 130k with my insurance on anything is covered. 500 dollar deductible. Out of pocket expense weekly is 42 usd. It's how you choose what insurance you want."

Is a deductable what we call an excess? So if you need medical care, you pay the first $500?

By *hriscaroline36Couple  over a year ago

Treharris

You dont need $1million, you can open a business for around $60-100k and get a visa, also none of the visas require 6 employees, the EB-5 which requires a $500-900k investment requires you create 10 fulltime jobs for American residents, the E2 visa which is the one I state above requires your business plan has room to hire at least 1 American worker as you initially grow and then more as you keep expanding. Its very possible to move to the usa on a legitimate visa

Oundle

"You dont need $1million, you can open a business for around $60-100k and get a visa, also none of the visas require 6 employees, the EB-5 which requires a $500-900k investment requires you create 10 fulltime jobs for American residents, the E2 visa which is the one I state above requires your business plan has room to hire at least 1 American worker as you initially grow and then more as you keep expanding. Its very possible to move to the usa on a legitimate visa"

But the visa you are referring to confers no right of residency beyond the life of the business. So if your business fails you could easily be forced to leave the US. Similarly there is no guarantee of continuing residency for your children.

By *hriscaroline36Couple  over a year ago

Treharris

"You dont need $1million, you can open a business for around $60-100k and get a visa, also none of the visas require 6 employees, the EB-5 which requires a $500-900k investment requires you create 10 fulltime jobs for American residents, the E2 visa which is the one I state above requires your business plan has room to hire at least 1 American worker as you initially grow and then more as you keep expanding. Its very possible to move to the usa on a legitimate visa

But the visa you are referring to confers no right of residency beyond the life of the business. So if your business fails you could easily be forced to leave the US. Similarly there is no guarantee of continuing residency for your children."

Yes that is true, but providing the business is in operation and growing there are a number of avenues you can look into to convert into a GC

1. EB1C as you have proven your success

2. EB2NIW same reason as above

3. EB-5 You've hit $1m in revenue and hired 10 employees

4. Have a spouse convince and employer to sponsor them for eb2/eb3 as they get a work permit from the day you enter the USA and employers are much more likely to sponsor if you're already there.

5. Kids get an Esucation visa while still in Uni - then if in country for more than 5 years and prior to thier 16th birthday they qualify for the DACA exemption

By *aki_teenMan  over a year ago

london

Always wanted to move from uk to usa, but that was a dream that i know will never come true, as i do not have the amount of money they need to give me any kinda of visa to live there. Good luck, hope you get to usa

By *exanthemMan  over a year ago

North

Look if you really want to move to a country that is true capitalist, offers tremendous amount of opportunities with work hard and earn hard , US is the right choice. With US dollar is now almost in parity with GBP, many people are thinking about it. Many people crib about medical system in US, but when you have a right insurance, either from your pocket or through your employer, you are sorted. Unlike NI, top end medical insurance premium cost is fixed, it does not increase as you earn more. So if you make 100k or Millions, your and top end medical insurance cost you the same.

Salary: Sky is the limit with low tax, so you save more. Stock options and bonuses runs into multi 100ks or in Millions, unlike UK where these are in lower side of 3 or 4 digits. PAYE worker make more money in US even after paying medical insurance and taxes than average UK worker.

Second, If you live in Tax efficient states, you save more, especially Texas or Florida.

Best Uni: Although they are expensive, but nothing can beat Harvards, MITs, Whartons, Stanfords and Yales of the world

True Multicultural: don’t have to explain this

Kids: if they are born in US, they are US citizen, Unlike UK, they don’t have to wait for their Parents to get ILR which normally takes 5 yrs time.

Weather: You have lots of choices, but be careful with Tornadoes and Hurricanes

Food: Umm, delicious - especially when you are looking for variety and range. Don’t think everyone gobbles up fat and cheese all the time.

Social security: None, you eat what you kill unlike UK, you won’t find much support if you are jobless

Crime: It’s high, but pick a place with low crime rate just like what you do in UK when you buy it rent a house.

"A relative with no experience has just gone to work in Australia in an iron mine and is well paid"
Australia are crying out for trades in the mining industries,do a few years there then move.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

My husband worked in US for a number of years.

He worked for a large company who sorted almost everything.

Without this backup it would be extremely difficult. Healthcare, accommodation, visas and travel all has to be sorted.

Don't expect to receive anywhere near the amount of annual leave we expect in the UK, 2 weeks per year if you are lucky.

I'd nip into an agency in the UK and ask their advice. Wouldn't recommend jumping a cheap flight and trying your luck.

Whatever you do remember to plan, plan, plan and when you have finished planning start planning all over again.

Best of luck.

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS  over a year ago

doncaster

"A relative with no experience has just gone to work in Australia in an iron mine and is well paid Australia are crying out for trades in the mining industries,do a few years there then move. "
Australia is a much better choice than the USA in my opinion

"Look if you really want to move to a country that is true capitalist, offers tremendous amount of opportunities with work hard and earn hard , US is the right choice. With US dollar is now almost in parity with GBP, many people are thinking about it. Many people crib about medical system in US, but when you have a right insurance, either from your pocket or through your employer, you are sorted. Unlike NI, top end medical insurance premium cost is fixed, it does not increase as you earn more. So if you make 100k or Millions, your and top end medical insurance cost you the same.

Salary: Sky is the limit with low tax, so you save more. Stock options and bonuses runs into multi 100ks or in Millions, unlike UK where these are in lower side of 3 or 4 digits. PAYE worker make more money in US even after paying medical insurance and taxes than average UK worker.

Second, If you live in Tax efficient states, you save more, especially Texas or Florida.

Best Uni: Although they are expensive, but nothing can beat Harvards, MITs, Whartons, Stanfords and Yales of the world

Kids: if they are born in US, they are US citizen, Unlike UK, they don’t have to wait for their Parents to get ILR which normally takes 5 yrs time.

Food: Umm, delicious - especially when you are looking for variety and range. Don’t think everyone gobbles up fat and cheese all the time.

Social security: None, you eat what you kill unlike UK, you won’t find much support if you are jobless

Crime: It’s high, but pick a place with low crime rate just like what you do in UK when you buy it rent a house. "

you are correct if you concentrate on your loved ones and not the general" socialistic " behavior you can achieve anything you goals require.

"Look if you really want to move to a country that is true capitalist, offers tremendous amount of opportunities with work hard and earn hard , US is the right choice. With US dollar is now almost in parity with GBP, many people are thinking about it. Many people crib about medical system in US, but when you have a right insurance, either from your pocket or through your employer, you are sorted. Unlike NI, top end medical insurance premium cost is fixed, it does not increase as you earn more. So if you make 100k or Millions, your and top end medical insurance cost you the same.

Crime: It’s high, but pick a place with low crime rate just like what you do in UK when you buy it rent a house. you are correct if you concentrate on your loved ones and not the general" socialistic " behavior you can achieve anything you goals require. "

people in the UK are huge socialists compared to here.

By *exanthemMan  over a year ago

North

It’s personal choice as to where one wants to live - but weighing all the options always helps.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Crime: It’s high, but pick a place with low crime rate just like what you do in UK when you buy it rent a house. you are correct if you concentrate on your loved ones and not the general" socialistic " behavior you can achieve anything you goals require. people in the UK are huge socialists compared to here. "

Blimey. And the UK is right wing and uncaring as fuck.

Crime: It’s high, but pick a place with low crime rate just like what you do in UK when you buy it rent a house. you are correct if you concentrate on your loved ones and not the general" socialistic " behavior you can achieve anything you goals require. people in the UK are huge socialists compared to here.

Blimey. And the UK is right wing and uncaring as fuck."

More individuality here. I take care of my loved ones and my interests to achieve that goal. Why should I care about someone's life choices 3000 miles away.

golden fields

Crime: It’s high, but pick a place with low crime rate just like what you do in UK when you buy it rent a house. you are correct if you concentrate on your loved ones and not the general" socialistic " behavior you can achieve anything you goals require. people in the UK are huge socialists compared to here.

Blimey. And the UK is right wing and uncaring as fuck.

More individuality here. I take care of my loved ones and my interests to achieve that goal. Why should I care about someone's life choices 3000 miles away. "

Not saying you should.

The right wing here have little empathy for other humans too.

Oundle

To lighten the mood on this one, a female colleague of mine originally from Oldham met her 2B at a company conference in Longbeach. He was from La Palma CA and eventually they decided to marry as soon as all her papers were sorted. On her Virgin flight out to LA for the wedding, who should be sitting in the adjacent aisle seat but Russell Brand, who was dating Katie Perry very publicly at the time. God's gift to himself personified. He pestered her virtually the whole flight trying unsuccessfuly to get her to join the mile high club with him. Knob. Made for a laugh at the wedding, mind.

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

I'm on my second stint of living in the US. The first was 10 years, and now I've been here nearly 3.

You will not get a visa to do a manual job. A previous poster was correct that unless you are applying for a specialist visa, the company hiring you will have to show that no American is available for the job. That's not going to happen unless it's a very specialist job. Most companies other than large multi-nationals have no clue about the visa process and just avoid the hassle of foreign workers altogether.

Depending where you want to live, the cost of living can be much higher or lower than the UK. Taxes are typically similar to the UK, but you don't get anything in the way of benefits. Medical insurance, if not subsidised by your employer, can be 1k a month. Even with the best of coverage you still have to pay excesses and fees for your treatment.

Salaries can be high if you're high level white-collar or blue-collar in a big city union, but the average is around $35k a year.

If you're determined, your only realistic path to legal manual employment is to get a Green Card by marriage. They still take years to be issued, but you can work while you wait. The other option is investing in your own company, but you have to lock in a minimum of $500k.I had a running business that made more than that but I was still denied and investor's visa because I couldn't show that much of my cash was invested.

Don't come here on a tourist (ESTA) visa and think you can wotk for cash. Companies are frequently audited looking for illegal workers and if you're kicked out, you're unlikely to ever get in again.

Other than paying the lawyer fees, I got no help with setting up again here. You're going to have a very hard time at the beginning because everything from loans, vehicle insurance and getting approved for renting a flat depends on your credit score. The first time I came to the US I couldn't even get a store card for the first 4 years, despite earning 6 figures.

Look at Australia or Canada. They're much more welcoming to foreigners.

That's about it. Happy to answer any specific questions if anyone has any.

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

Plane to Mexico and walk in

"Plane to Mexico and walk in"
you will get bused to NYC.

"Plane to Mexico and walk in"
you will get bused to NYC.

golden fields

"Plane to Mexico and walk inyou will get bused to NYC."

That sounds great to me.

"Plane to Mexico and walk inyou will get bused to NYC.

That sounds great to me."

lol your close then look us up

By *urbigAdventureCouple  over a year ago

Lake City

Just plan to come early summer and work the wheat harvest. There are literally hundreds of Brits here now doing that very thing. If you are on FB check out Deibert Harvesting they hire from the UK every year. Maybe this will give you a pathway to achieve your goals.

golden fields

"Plane to Mexico and walk inyou will get bused to NYC.

That sounds great to me. lol your close then look us up "

Absolutely!

I was there in May.

» Add a new message to this topic