FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Economics vs Medicine?

Economics vs Medicine?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *evensnipe OP   Man  over a year ago

Rhyl

Economics vs Medicine? Apparently these are the words said by Sir Patrick Vallance FRS FMedSci FRCP British physician, scientist, and clinical pharmacologist to the government committee...........“The evidence is, as far as you can get very firm evidence on this, is essentially a minute at two metres contact is about the same as six seconds at one metre.

“That gives you an idea of why the two-metre rule becomes important.”

I will continue to follow the sort of science that makes sense in terms of protecting everyone, myself included, given by someone with a medical background rather than Hancock who has a degree in Philosophy and an MPhil in Economics. Apparently these are the words said by Sir Patrick Vallance FRS FMedSci FRCP British physician, scientist, and clinical pharmacologist to the government committee...........“The evidence is, as far as you can get very firm evidence on this, is essentially a minute at two metres contact is about the same as six seconds at one metre.

I will continue to follow the sort of science that makes sense in terms of protecting everyone, myself included, given by someone with a medical background rather than Hancock who has a degree in Philosophy and an MPhil in Economics.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

I'm assuming this is for social distancing inside?

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

Except that in France they use 1m (and in the supermarkets about 500mm from my experience) and the infection rate is still dropping like a stone.

So whilst you might be more likely to catch it at 1m than 2m, it would appear that you have a minuscule chance of catching it at 1m so 2m is overkill.

Why does the UK have work everything out for itself? Why can't the scientists just say 1m works elsewhere so we will go with 1m in the uk?

By *69BANMan  over a year ago

Reading

"Economics vs Medicine? Apparently these are the words said by Sir Patrick Vallance FRS FMedSci FRCP British physician, scientist, and clinical pharmacologist to the government committee...........“The evidence is, as far as you can get very firm evidence on this, is essentially a minute at two metres contact is about the same as six seconds at one metre.

I will continue to follow the sort of science that makes sense in terms of protecting everyone, myself included, given by someone with a medical background rather than Hancock who has a degree in Philosophy and an MPhil in Economics. Apparently these are the words said by Sir Patrick Vallance FRS FMedSci FRCP British physician, scientist, and clinical pharmacologist to the government committee...........“The evidence is, as far as you can get very firm evidence on this, is essentially a minute at two metres contact is about the same as six seconds at one metre.

I will continue to follow the sort of science that makes sense in terms of protecting everyone, myself included, given by someone with a medical background rather than Hancock who has a degree in Philosophy and an MPhil in Economics."

Nothing like a good copy and paste to show not knowing what's going on.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

You don’t need a science degree to know to keep away from people who might have a contagious virus , 1m , 2m , just don’t snog too many strangers and you’ll be fine

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

That'll be the 2 metre 'rule' that Robert Dingwall, of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG), said there has ‘never been a scientific basis for two metres’, naming it a ‘rule of thumb’. He also said that it was ‘conjured up out of nowhere’.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The point being is that

Weather its 1m 2m 3m 4m or 5m we all have to make our own judgement in how close we stand to the next person.... Protect the elderly and at risk groups let the rest of us live our life's

Let's get out there start spending again and save people jobs

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"The point being is that

Weather its 1m 2m 3m 4m or 5m we all have to make our own judgement in how close we stand to the next person.... Protect the elderly and at risk groups let the rest of us live our life's

Let's get out there start spending again and save people jobs "

Bracknell

"That'll be the 2 metre 'rule' that Robert Dingwall, of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG), said there has ‘never been a scientific basis for two metres’, naming it a ‘rule of thumb’. He also said that it was ‘conjured up out of nowhere’.

"

So you are saying that we should use a scientific paper then. There is that per from the US that was shown on the BBC that showed the spray from a sneeze could travel 8 m when inside. Therefore I guess you are advocating an 8 m distance for inside

By *exy7Man  over a year ago

Bristol

[Removed by poster at 15/06/20 12:21:48]

Bristol

[Removed by poster at 15/06/20 12:22:29]

Bristol

Because the UK can never do like anybody else. This is another example of British exceptionalism. The same goes with the app. Other countries have an app that functions well but the UK had to come up with its own one. The result is a big fuck ip and no app is in sight. It’s the same for everything.

It’s worth mentioning that although it is 1m in France, face masks are compulsory. But hey, the French probably don’t have a common sense that is as great as the brilliant and world beating British common sense....

Bracknell

"That'll be the 2 metre 'rule' that Robert Dingwall, of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG), said there has ‘never been a scientific basis for two metres’, naming it a ‘rule of thumb’. He also said that it was ‘conjured up out of nowhere’.

"

Just googled Robert Dingwall. In April he says there is evidence for 1 m distancing but not for 2 m distancing. Then in May he suggests it should be 1.5 m distancing - sounds plucked out of the air to me

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Just googled Robert Dingwall. In April he says there is evidence for 1 m distancing but not for 2 m distancing. Then in May he suggests it should be 1.5 m distancing - sounds plucked out of the air to me"

I'm no scientist but have 2 kids doing science A levels.... Surely establishing how far and how much of an aerosol travels is something you could establish in a day with a bunch of kids in a school lab.... Why there is so little clarity on this simple but fundamental fact is very strange.

Additionally how much of the virus is transmitted through touch and how much through aerosol. Come on scientists earn your corn.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

1 or 2 metres should be none now, all experts around the world agree this virus is going to be around for a few year's. So people have to make there mind up what to do and take it away from people who will still be paid no matter what happens. Millions of jobs are on the line now so we can't leave it to the rich I'm ok lot, and put it backed to people who live in the real world.

Bristol

"1 or 2 metres should be none now, all experts around the world agree this virus is going to be around for a few year's. So people have to make there mind up what to do and take it away from people who will still be paid no matter what happens. Millions of jobs are on the line now so we can't leave it to the rich I'm ok lot, and put it backed to people who live in the real world. "

We elect politicians to make decisions and do their best for the country and its citizens. This is not for me to decide what’s best for me and people I hang around with. It’s their job to make informed decisions. Nobody should make their mind up ( not there). The clowns we have at the top should show a bit of leadership and take responsibility.

» Add a new message to this topic