FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > WHO - Mask advice!

WHO - Mask advice!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Non-medical, fabric masks are being used by many people in public areas, but there has been limited evidence on their effectiveness and WHO does not recommend their widespread use among the public for control of COVID-19. However, for areas of widespread transmission, with limited capacity for implementing control measures and especially in settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre is not possible – such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments – WHO advises governments to encourage the general public to use non-medical fabric masks.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

In another Q&A WHO recommends the continued hand hygiene and SD where possible, ie not to use the masks without the other two strategies.

By *hrobberMan  over a year ago

North West

If it works great if it doesn't no loss to anybody really.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

It would be helpful if people used basic mask hygiene as well, we need how to do it properly posters and everyone should have hand sanitizer easily to hand.

If we can't easily get to hand washing stations then thats the next best thing

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's good to see many on here changing their minds about using face masks. The tide is slowly changing, those who were called idiots or being pissed on for encouraging the use of them months ago maybe we're just using common sense.

It'll even be fashionable in a few more months.

Moral, don't always follow the crowd but listen to your instincts.

"If it works great if it doesn't no loss to anybody really. "

Ever tried wearing glasses and a face covering while driving? I’m amazed we’ve not had some horrific accidents where drivers glasses are steamed up.

WHO have been abysmal with thier information on this,ie the safety on incoming and outgoing flight from china...I cant find the dates but I'm almost certain it took them until march to advise against it. While I am no way a fan of trump. I think WHO needs a big shake up from the top.

"If it works great if it doesn't no loss to anybody really.

Ever tried wearing glasses and a face covering while driving? I’m amazed we’ve not had some horrific accidents where drivers glasses are steamed up."

I only wear tight fit masks and it's not a problem..

Ever tried wearing glasses and a face covering while driving? I’m amazed we’ve not had some horrific accidents where drivers glasses are steamed up."

Why on earth are driving with a mask on. You only need them in crowded or indoor places

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

That's probably why Batman doesn't wear glasses...

I've never looked as I don't wear glasses, but I've seen numerous links to articles explaining how to cope with masks and gkasses.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Ever tried wearing glasses and a face covering while driving? I’m amazed we’ve not had some horrific accidents where drivers glasses are steamed up.

That's probably why Batman doesn't wear glasses...

I've never looked as I don't wear glasses, but I've seen numerous links to articles explaining how to cope with masks and gkasses."

All you need to do is roll up some tissue paper and place it over the bridge of the nose wedged between the mask and nose it works

I only wear tight fit masks and it's not a problem.."

Most masks aren't tight fitting, even most of those supplied to the NHS were initially rejected hence primary reason for the very late roll out for them.

I've a few medical friends at all levels who say anyone wearing glass struggles with steaming up. It's not as if they're sitting in an /C room resting while wearing them.

Even now many supplies are rejected at testing prior to going on to the words.

One consultant commented that the size of ones nose has a big influence to fitting. Few faces have same structure sizes too another need for different size masks.

Most masks aren't tight fitting, even most of those supplied to the NHS were initially rejected hence primary reason for the very late roll out for them.

I've a few medical friends at all levels who say anyone wearing glass struggles with steaming up. It's not as if they're sitting in an /C room resting while wearing them.

One consultant commented that the size of ones nose has a big influence to fitting. Few faces have same structure sizes too another need for different size masks."

Well my glasses don't steam up,so maybe I've got the right masks to fit my face eh...

One consultant commented that the size of ones nose has a big influence to fitting. Few faces have same structure sizes too another need for different size masks.

Well my glasses don't steam up,so maybe I've got the right masks to fit my face eh..."

That's good.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

If you wear glasses just put the mask under your nose instead of over it.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"If you wear glasses just put the mask under your nose instead of over it."

Can't tell if this is a joke or not

Just in case, don't do that. Use some washing up liquid on your lenses, it helps a lot.

"If you wear glasses just put the mask under your nose instead of over it."

Tonbridge

"If you wear glasses just put the mask under your nose instead of over it.

Can't tell if this is a joke or not "

Since I don't cough, talk or spit through my nose I think covering the mouth ticks all the boxes.

Since I don't cough, talk or spit through my nose I think covering the mouth ticks all the boxes."

Sneeze?

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Since I don't cough, talk or spit through my nose I think covering the mouth ticks all the boxes."

As you breathe out, you will emit small amounts of nasal secretion, which might contain virus. This will then end up on the outside of the mask, which you may then touch to adjust or remove mask, thus contaminating your hands. This is one of the reasons why mask wearing by untrained people could cause harm as well as good. People work in medical and pharmaceutical settings, where masks are compulsory, no exemptions, and manage to wear masks. It's all about the fit.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

You do breath through your nose though

Leicestershire

You hsd me right up to 'I think'...

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

You need to cover your nose with your mask or face covering.

My position changed when I read about the evidence changing.

My masks are elasticated, so reasonably tight fit.

And the washing up liquid on glasses definitely helps.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I wear glasses for certain tasks, so did find they steamed up when wearing a mask.

But whilst at hospital recently for an appointment, a nurse and a consultant each supplied a remedy.

Put a small patch of Elastoplast or medical microfibre tape over the bridge of your nose, then put your mask on, then put on the glasses.

The tape provides comfort, plus as a rougher surface, acts to stop the glasses slipping, and as the spectacle lenses are laid over the mask, there's no steaming up problems.

I've looked online and seen hundreds of "hacks" to avoid glasses steaming up. I've not come across any that work for me.

What might work for one person doesn't seem to work for someone with a different shaped face, different glasses or different mask.

"Non-medical, fabric masks are being used by many people in public areas, but there has been limited evidence on their effectiveness and WHO does not recommend their widespread use among the public for control of COVID-19. However, for areas of widespread transmission, with limited capacity for implementing control measures and especially in settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre is not possible – such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments – WHO advises governments to encourage the general public to use non-medical fabric masks.

"

yeah science is amazing! I mentioned this the other day and the mob came for me because despite the scientific evidence that always has been and still is that masks do absolutely nothing to stop the spread and actually could lead to more people catching the virus through complacency and touching the mask which is gathering particles all day on the outside people still think they are like a magical barrier protecting them.

"Non-medical, fabric masks are being used by many people in public areas, but there has been limited evidence on their effectiveness and WHO does not recommend their widespread use among the public for control of COVID-19. However, for areas of widespread transmission, with limited capacity for implementing control measures and especially in settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre is not possible – such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments – WHO advises governments to encourage the general public to use non-medical fabric masks.

yeah science is amazing! I mentioned this the other day and the mob came for me because despite the scientific evidence that always has been and still is that masks do absolutely nothing to stop the spread and actually could lead to more people catching the virus through complacency and touching the mask which is gathering particles all day on the outside people still think they are like a magical barrier protecting them. "

Ffs, limited evidence does not mean no evidence.

It's not about the mask protecting the wearer.

By *exyFusionCouple  over a year ago

Near to you

"... yeah science is amazing! I mentioned this the other day and the mob came for me because despite the scientific evidence that always has been and still is that masks do absolutely nothing to stop the spread and actually could lead to more people catching the virus through complacency and touching the mask which is gathering particles all day on the outside people still think they are like a magical barrier protecting them. "

Here’s some science proving they DO work.

https://www.providence.org/news/uf/619927061

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

yeah science is amazing! I mentioned this the other day and the mob came for me because despite the scientific evidence that always has been and still is that masks do absolutely nothing to stop the spread and actually could lead to more people catching the virus through complacency and touching the mask which is gathering particles all day on the outside people still think they are like a magical barrier protecting them. "

That's not what the science says.

Tonbridge

A Norwegian study showed that 200,000 people would have to wear surgical grade masks to prevent just 1 covid infection. It's just a propaganda thing to ramp up the fear and make people think they are doing something.

It's also easier for the government to appease the people who say if it saves just one person then it's worth doing than argue that it's of little benefit.

"A Norwegian study showed that 200,000 people would have to wear surgical grade masks to prevent just 1 covid infection. It's just a propaganda thing to ramp up the fear and make people think they are doing something.

It's also easier for the government to appease the people who say if it saves just one person then it's worth doing than argue that it's of little benefit."

I call BS. All that says to me is that it prevents one infection, cos only one person is infected. Of course I'm only going on words on a forum.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"A Norwegian study showed that 200,000 people would have to wear surgical grade masks to prevent just 1 covid infection. It's just a propaganda thing to ramp up the fear and make people think they are doing something.

It's also easier for the government to appease the people who say if it saves just one person then it's worth doing than argue that it's of little benefit."

And of course you have a link to that study?

scotland

Found it....

scotland

Population of Norway is 5.4m

200,000 is 1/27th of the population. Therefore, if all the population wore masks it would prevent 27 cases.

Yesterday in norway there were 10 cases so working on a 7-10 days contagious period (lets go for 10) that would suggest 100 active cases. If masks prevent 27 out of 100 then that's 27%.

Add in some hand washing, social distancing etc...

Muck off anti fog treatment

It’s a spray for glasses goggles etc definitely stops glasses steaming up

Tonbridge

[Removed by poster at 02/08/20 17:59:38]

It's also easier for the government to appease the people who say if it saves just one person then it's worth doing than argue that it's of little benefit.

I call BS. All that says to me is that it prevents one infection, cos only one person is infected. Of course I'm only going on words on a forum. "

As it turns out, I was on the right track. Norway govt doesn't recommend masks due to the low rate of infected and the ability to stick to SD and handwashing.

Slim, you should be a politician!

I call BS. All that says to me is that it prevents one infection, cos only one person is infected. Of course I'm only going on words on a forum.

As it turns out, I was on the right track. Norway govt doesn't recommend masks due to the low rate of infected and the ability to stick to SD and handwashing.

Slim, you should be a politician! "

And that's not a compliment.

Tonbridge

Population of Norway is 5.4m

200,000 is 1/27th of the population. Therefore, if all the population wore masks it would prevent 27 cases.

Yesterday in norway there were 10 cases so working on a 7-10 days contagious period (lets go for 10) that would suggest 100 active cases. If masks prevent 27 out of 100 then that's 27%.

Add in some hand washing, social distancing etc...

"

27 cases a week or 4 a day. 5.4 million people wearing 20 million masks a day (if you follow guidance) to prevent 4 people a day catching covid. With a 1% case fatality rate that prevents about 1 death a month. 25p per mask and that's a cost of one million pounds a day or 25 million pounds per life saved.

Ah slim...I always read it as "SL"

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Ah slim...I always read it as "SL" "

Tonbridge

I would say we have a low rate of infection, about 1 in 4000 people in the UK currently has the disease.

Ah slim...I always read it as "SL" "

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

Are you serious? You genuinely believe not covering your nose is acceptable?

Crazy.

Tonbridge

Since I don't cough, talk or spit through my nose I think covering the mouth ticks all the boxes.

Crazy. "

Air and water vapor comes out of you nose not viruses.

The reason masks cover the nose and mouth in hospital is because the surgical mask is design to prevent you breathing in the virus. That is not the case with face coverings.

North West

Crazy.

The reason masks cover the nose and mouth in hospital is because the surgical mask is design to prevent you breathing in the virus. That is not the case with face coverings."

What has been written here is complete codswallop. Respiratory viruses DO come out of your nose and surgeons wear masks to minimise the risk of pathogens from THEIR nasal and oral secretions infecting a patient. They wear eye protection to protect their eyes from spurting blood and body fluids. Note, this refers to well fitted, surgical grade masks, not an old t-shirt cobbled together by your Aunty Pat.

Tonbridge

Crazy.

The reason masks cover the nose and mouth in hospital is because the surgical mask is design to prevent you breathing in the virus. That is not the case with face coverings.

What has been written here is complete codswallop. Respiratory viruses DO come out of your nose and surgeons wear masks to minimise the risk of pathogens from THEIR nasal and oral secretions infecting a patient. They wear eye protection to protect their eyes from spurting blood and body fluids. Note, this refers to well fitted, surgical grade masks, not an old t-shirt cobbled together by your Aunty Pat. "

No, they wear the mask to prevent them from breathing in an infection. If it was to prevent them infecting the patient then there wouldn't be a valve to allow the wearer to breath out without it being filtered. In hospital it is assumed the patient is infected already and it is the carer who is being protected.

Secondly the virus is present in the aerosols you expel, not in the air you breathe out.

North West

Crazy.

What has been written here is complete codswallop. Respiratory viruses DO come out of your nose and surgeons wear masks to minimise the risk of pathogens from THEIR nasal and oral secretions infecting a patient. They wear eye protection to protect their eyes from spurting blood and body fluids. Note, this refers to well fitted, surgical grade masks, not an old t-shirt cobbled together by your Aunty Pat.

No, they wear the mask to prevent them from breathing in an infection. If it was to prevent them infecting the patient then there wouldn't be a valve to allow the wearer to breath out without it being filtered. In hospital it is assumed the patient is infected already and it is the carer who is being protected.

Secondly the virus is present in the aerosols you expel, not in the air you breathe out. "

https://www.cochrane.org/CD002929/WOUNDS_disposable-surgical-face-masks-preventing-surgical-wound-infection-clean-surgery

Tonbridge

Crazy.

Secondly the virus is present in the aerosols you expel, not in the air you breathe out.

https://www.cochrane.org/CD002929/WOUNDS_disposable-surgical-face-masks-preventing-surgical-wound-infection-clean-surgery"

Interesting that the study you cite has the following key results:

All three studies showed that wearing a face mask during surgery neither increases nor decreases the number of wound infections occurring after surgery. We conclude that there is no clear evidence that wearing disposable face masks affects the likelihood of wound infections developing after surgery.

Crazy.

Secondly the virus is present in the aerosols you expel, not in the air you breathe out. "

If you think all surgical masks have valves, you'd be wrong.

By the way, are you involved in health care in some small way?

Tonbridge

There was study done of aerosol emission during breathing and speaking. If you want to find it search for

'Aerosol emission and superemission during human speech increase with voice loudness'

There are charts of particles emitted per second by different types of breathing and speaking. To sum it up, nasal breathing produced zero particles per second compared with saying aah loudly producing up to 40 particles per second.

I'm guessing this was the study that caused the government to ban music in pubs to stop people talking loudly. It's a shame they didn't also mention that it shows you don't need to cover your nose.

North West

Slimmatureguy, have you heard of droplet transmission and are you aware that droplets of snot can emanate from your nose, often very rapidly? It's known in English as sneezing. It's a very well known and accepted form of spread of respiratory viruses, including SARS-COV-2. Cover your nose.

By *ensualguy70TV/TS  over a year ago

Renfrew

Blimey havent you been reading the news we have had a sharp increase in road accidents due to steaming up glases whilst wearing a mask, they called it covid19

Tonbridge

"Slimmatureguy, have you heard of droplet transmission and are you aware that droplets of snot can emanate from your nose, often very rapidly? It's known in English as sneezing. It's a very well known and accepted form of spread of respiratory viruses, including SARS-COV-2. Cover your nose. "

I have heard of sneezing, it's something I might do once a week, sometimes brought on by bright sunshine.

1. Government advice is to sneeze into the crook of your elbow. I have plenty of warning if I'm going to sneeze so this not difficult to do.

2. I don't know about you but I sneeze though my mouth.

North West

"Slimmatureguy, have you heard of droplet transmission and are you aware that droplets of snot can emanate from your nose, often very rapidly? It's known in English as sneezing. It's a very well known and accepted form of spread of respiratory viruses, including SARS-COV-2. Cover your nose.

I have heard of sneezing, it's something I might do once a week, sometimes brought on by bright sunshine.

1. Government advice is to sneeze into the crook of your elbow. I have plenty of warning if I'm going to sneeze so this not difficult to do.

2. I don't know about you but I sneeze though my mouth."

If you sneeze, it definitely involves your nose to some extent. Most people sneeze entirely through their noses. Sneezing into your arm is the last solution if you don't have a tissue or other thing to cover your nose. Like it or not, droplets that contain snot will leave your nose and may be infectious.

I used to work in pharmaceutical industry, in sterile clean rooms where drugs for IV infusion were made. There was ZERO to protect me from - this wasn't a virology lab, it was just pure raw ingredients for medicines. Why did I have to be DOUBLE masked, double visored, wear sterile clothing that covered every inch of skin, double gloved? Answer - to prevent contamination of the sterile drugs by bacteria and viruses. It was so clean in there, you could have licked the floor and eaten your dinner off, no chance of getting sick (but I'd have been sacked). We had to pass two exams in putting on all the sterile clothing and PPE before we could work in there, for heavens sake! That's how seriously it was taken. If I touched the mask in the wrong place whilst putting it on, I'd fail the exam. If I touched my mask after putting it on, I'd fail. And if I didn't cover my nose, I'd have been laughed out of the room. And failed.

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

I sneeze due to hayfever, i ware masks in shops but thats it not that its doing any good ,

"I sneeze due to hayfever, i ware masks in shops but thats it not that its doing any good ,"

But if you were Asymmetric plus the pollen...you would not know what you were sneezing out...

*Asymptomatic

Why wear a mask in your car if your on your own ?

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

I bought medical rated masks from medisave. Thinking may as well protect myself aswel as others if wearing a mask is mandatory.

No.

It doesn't

By *ancs_tgirl_38TV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

And so it begins

Masked man raids building society in Leeds, stealing "substantial" amount of money

Leicestershire

"And so it begins

Masked man raids building society in Leeds, stealing "substantial" amount of money "

I'm surprised it took this long really...

By *ustKeepSwinging999Couple  over a year ago

Basingstoke

Wearing your mask with your nose out is like wearing your trousers with your dick hanging out over the top of the belt.

From what I've seen, people touch there face much more because the wearing off them. Either adjusting them, because there face is hot or sweaty, or taking them on or off just after getting out of the shops.

A device that makes you touch your face more seems worse than pointless.

"From what I've seen, people touch there face much more because the wearing off them. Either adjusting them, because there face is hot or sweaty, or taking them on or off just after getting out of the shops.

A device that makes you touch your face more seems worse than pointless."

God that's a old one...that was the reasoning they give in the beginning.

But it turned out they said it as there was not enough PPE to go around

It's not 'an old one'. Its what I see when im out and about.

[Removed by poster at 04/08/20 13:06:39]

"It's not 'an old one'. Its what I see when im out and about."

I bet all the clever feckers not wearing one never touch thier faces eh

"It's not 'an old one'. Its what I see when im out and about.

"

I'm not sure about that, I just see people wearing there masks touching there face a lot.

I'm not sure about that, I just see people wearing there masks touching there face a lot."

Ok...I dont though

I'm not sure about that, I just see people wearing there masks touching there face a lot.

Ok...I dont though "

That's definitely good for you. I was sharing an observation, not accusing anyone.

Ok...I dont though

That's definitely good for you. I was sharing an observation, not accusing anyone."

Ah and there was me thinking you were just a anti-masker...bugger me I got that wrong eh

Ok...I dont though

That's definitely good for you. I was sharing an observation, not accusing anyone.

Ah and there was me thinking you were just a anti-masker...bugger me I got that wrong eh"

anti masker?? Im just happy to put my pants on the right way round.

Ok...I dont though

Ah and there was me thinking you were just a anti-masker...bugger me I got that wrong eh

anti masker?? Im just happy to put my pants on the right way round."

And I have a black washable mask, that I use as a blindfold at work for a better nap. So im definitely pro mask.

By *etsomeMan  over a year ago

birmingham

The evidence on face mask didn't change. Its just that pressure was placed on WHO to change their advice. As Wanksock admitted it is all about giving people more confidence - not about doing something that will have any effect

"The evidence on face mask didn't change. Its just that pressure was placed on WHO to change their advice. As Wanksock admitted it is all about giving people more confidence - not about doing something that will have any effect"

So WHO changed their opinion for the world wide use of masks on the basis of Matt Hancock.

Righty oh.

Crazy.

If you think all surgical masks have valves, you'd be wrong.

By the way, are you involved in health care in some small way? "

I guess not but no surprise.

By *etsomeMan  over a year ago

birmingham

"The evidence on face mask didn't change. Its just that pressure was placed on WHO to change their advice. As Wanksock admitted it is all about giving people more confidence - not about doing something that will have any effect

So WHO changed their opinion for the world wide use of masks on the basis of Matt Hancock.

Righty oh."

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/letters/sammy-wilson-right-there-no-need-compulsory-masks-shops-2929727

By *moothCriminal_xMan  over a year ago

Redditch

"In another Q&A WHO recommends the continued hand hygiene and SD where possible, ie not to use the masks without the other two strategies. "

Family of 8 in a tesco self checkout bay yesterday. 6 kids squeezed in. People are thick. We should still be having 1 person 1 trolley or 2 st most. Peoplenhave entirely quit SD and it makes my blood boil

"The evidence on face mask didn't change. Its just that pressure was placed on WHO to change their advice. As Wanksock admitted it is all about giving people more confidence - not about doing something that will have any effect

Righty oh.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/letters/sammy-wilson-right-there-no-need-compulsory-masks-shops-2929727"

Links without context should be deleted.

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

No.

It doesn't "

Glad of the mask thing not just for covid I work with a guy who spits everywhere when he talks visor and mask is a blessing without causing him offence lol

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

Righty oh.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/letters/sammy-wilson-right-there-no-need-compulsory-masks-shops-2929727"

Hmnn, Sammy Wilson is a bigoted creationist troll who's opinions on public health should be pitied and not repeated. I'm disappointed but not surprised.

"Glad of the mask thing not just for covid I work with a guy who spits everywhere when he talks visor and mask is a blessing without causing him offence lol"

Haha I've met a few feckers like that

Ok...I dont though

anti masker?? Im just happy to put my pants on the right way round."

You and me both mate...but you dont have to worry about the dress

I know someone that used a McDonald's paper napkin to cover their mouth when they went into a petrol station, and it was accepted as a face covering

» Add a new message to this topic