FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > There's never been a vaccine for a coronavirus

There's never been a vaccine for a coronavirus

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *etsome OP   Man  over a year ago

birmingham

Why would anyone (Whitty) say our only way out of this is a vaccine - if there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus? You could say wen we are throwing more resources at this one - but if something is impossible then the amount of money you throw at it is irrelevant

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

birmingham

and before I get abusive private messages - I know 99% on here are pro lockdown and agree with this unprecedented infringement of civil liberties - but there is a saying that when everyone thinks the same no one is thinking.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

You're the one saying it's impossible and coming up with made up percentages.

Unfortunately the only people that bleat on about their civil liberties are the same ones who can't see that there are social responsibilities attached to them.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

It was impossible to break the 4 minute mile, it was impossible to get to the top of Everest, it was impossible to put a man on the moon. Only ordinary people think things are impossible wheras extraordinary people go the extra mile to achieve something for the first time.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"It was impossible to break the 4 minute mile, it was impossible to get to the top of Everest, it was impossible to put a man on the moon. Only ordinary people think things are impossible wheras extraordinary people go the extra mile to achieve something for the first time."

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Why would anyone (Whitty) say our only way out of this is a vaccine - if there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus? You could say wen we are throwing more resources at this one - but if something is impossible then the amount of money you throw at it is irrelevant"

Because the only way out is with a vaccine. To restart the economy you need confidence and a combination of effective treatment and a vaccine will give that confidence. That’s the reality. Effective treatment is definitely possible and a lot nearer now than it was a few months ago and a vaccine that works or partially work is definitely possible and probably 6 months away. Leaving aside all the conspiracy theories that’s the bottom line for life to return to anything like it was.

For a vaccine to be developed (by big pharma companies) you need 3 things.

1 shit loads of money

2 a really serious disease

3 large market (to some extent see 2)

Examples of other coronaviruses:

Common cold viruses (see 2)

SARS and MERS (See 2 and 3...both quickly mutated to something rather harmless and went away before they spread properly)

Hence none developed.

Here we have all 3. Along with far better methods to sequence RNA and to develop and engineer vaccines much faster.

By *69BANMan  over a year ago

Reading

The OP is a perfect example of Dunning-Kruger.

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Where there’s profit to be made, large and in a relatively short period, anythings possible.

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

I do believe if it's physically possible, and with enough time and money humans can accomplish most things.

I get that a vaccine is the ideal way out, but we have several virus, diseases and illness that have been arou d for decades and there is not a vaccine or cure for those yet. I think unless we strike luck very quickly the best we can hope for is something that minimises the symptoms to make is less of a killer in the valnerable groups, so we could all carry on as normal, and it could be a bit like the common cold. In time I believe if we don't find a cure, we will adapt and it be around the population and we just all live with the threat with reduced symptoms. As with most illness there is always going to be those that end up on the wrong side of it, but without a 100% effective vaccine or cure then it's the realitity.

We already know a safe vaccine can be created. We know it produces antibodies in those vaccinated. The problem, and I suspect it's the problem that will kill the vaccine, is how long that protection lasts & how much protection does it give.

Natural antibodies for covid appear to decline sharply atter 3 - 4 months, although there are indications T cells may persist longer.

It' reasonable to assume vaccine produced antibodies may do the same. If they do, one of two situations could occur :

The vaccine produces partial immunity. It lessens the lenght & severity of the illness but does not prevent infection or onward transmission.

or

The vaccine requires regular boosters to maintain protection.

Both are problematic for the practicality of a vaccine. Can we really afford to build the infrastructure to vaccinate 60 million people every 3-4 months? Would people comply?

There are more reasons than just 'it didn't work' as to why a vaccine may prove impossible. I personally would not bet on one any time soon.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

A vaccine is our best hope despite challenges. A medical problem has also never had this much concentration of money or research thrown at it before.

Just a question regards anti-bodies/immunity and getting covid again or not......I've not seen or found any reports of someone getting it twice.... anyone else?

Manchester (she/her)

"Just a question regards anti-bodies/immunity and getting covid again or not......I've not seen or found any reports of someone getting it twice.... anyone else?"

There were some reports from South Korea early on, but they were likely to be RNA artefacts and thus not true second infections.

There's some preliminary observations coming out of the American medical group that talks to the virologists I listen to... so it's something that needs investigation. (On a This Week in Virology podcast)

In general terms immunity to coronaviruses wane and people are reinfected. Four of the seven human coronaviruses are common colds.

By *FSFCouple  over a year ago

Castleford

"Just a question regards anti-bodies/immunity and getting covid again or not......I've not seen or found any reports of someone getting it twice.... anyone else?"

A UFC fighter has had it twice.

By *az080378Woman  over a year ago

Cromer

"Just a question regards anti-bodies/immunity and getting covid again or not......I've not seen or found any reports of someone getting it twice.... anyone else?

A UFC fighter has had it twice. "

Which UFC fighter is that?

I can only speak for myself, but I need that hope.

I am 35, but I have several health issues that make me high risk. So my options at the moment seem to be to self isolate indefinitely - which is having a severe impact on my mental health - or live normally and risk getting a virus that has a good chance of killing me.

I don't think people who aren't high risk understand how difficult and frightening this is for those of us who are vulnerable.

Right now I cope by telling myself that there will be a vaccine, it might take another 6 months or a year, but it will happen, and I can have it, and life will get back to normal for me.

The alternative just doesn't bear thinking about.

By *exy7Man  over a year ago

Bristol

"and before I get abusive private messages - I know 99% on here are pro lockdown and agree with this unprecedented infringement of civil liberties - but there is a saying that when everyone thinks the same no one is thinking. "

Another civil liberties maniac! Yesterday I felt like driving at 180 miles per hour but I didn’t. I should have done on the ground it’s a civil liberty.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"It was impossible to break the 4 minute mile, it was impossible to get to the top of Everest, it was impossible to put a man on the moon. Only ordinary people think things are impossible wheras extraordinary people go the extra mile to achieve something for the first time."

Oh have to love that statement did you read it or right it ? ?

Only ordinary people think things are impossible wheras extraordinary people go the extra mile to achieve something for the first time.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

there have been some reports of people seeming to have had it twice but in most cases it seems it was more the virus never left and mid way through March it seemed like you could get one strain but then get another. I know they are looking into it as I've been lucky enough to be part of a study.

I still am showing anti bodies months after infection.

Impossible is a challenge. Read

Impossible as I'm possible

By *otfabcouple2017Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

"I can only speak for myself, but I need that hope.

I am 35, but I have several health issues that make me high risk. So my options at the moment seem to be to self isolate indefinitely - which is having a severe impact on my mental health - or live normally and risk getting a virus that has a good chance of killing me.

I don't think people who aren't high risk understand how difficult and frightening this is for those of us who are vulnerable.

Right now I cope by telling myself that there will be a vaccine, it might take another 6 months or a year, but it will happen, and I can have it, and life will get back to normal for me.

The alternative just doesn't bear thinking about. "

My mum and aunt are considered high risk so we have been worried.

Make of this what you will, but my sister works in our city hospital, in dialysis, which had to continue throughout the pandemic - because it had to be active, the ward next door was cordoned off and turned into the shielding ward. The most high risk patients with other underlying health issues.

One the the patients had a surgery at a different hospital,so they were taken and was tested for covid upon arrival. They tested positive.

This resulted in calls back to the ward and as a result everyone had to be tested.

EVERY PATIENT in there tested positive and not one of them or the staff that treat them even suspected they had it.

Now alot of the patients(due to their other illnesses) display some symptoms associated with covid anyways, but these didn't really worsen when they had covid.

These people are the people deemed most at risk from Covid, they are already very unwell, and in alot of cases elderly. Yet not a single of them even knew they had it.

This was 5ish weeks ago now, and as of now, ALL of them have recovered from covid(they are still very unwell due to other health issues) and not one of them died or even suffered any symptoms more than they usually do.

They have been re tested several times since(there also been several families concerned if the lose their loved ones now or sometime soon in the future that covid may get listed as cause of death,which families don't want if covid was not the cause - so I wonder how this will play out and it may get some media attention)

There were over 60 patients, so whilst not massive, it seems a reasonable sample size.

It would seem unlikely that if covid was as bad as we were made to believe, that NONE would even know they had it,let alone none would die.

My sister and her work friends do question as to whether this is anywhere near as serious and deadly as the media has portrayed. Now with the recent admittence of inflated figures, its definitely something to think about.

Don't get me wrong, my mum and aunt are not well, so we still act like it could be serious, but I suspect it isnt as bad as we have been led to believe, and whilst me and my sister still exercise all precautions, we aren't as worried as we were. My sister is a worrier too, but the hospital situation has changed her opinion a little.

Given that we don't at this point have clear answers about alot of things,i think everyone is entitled to act how they feel is best for them during this. They

If you want to wear a mask, wear one, if you don't, then don't wear one. There are arguments for and against,the WHO have made arguments for and against. And the information has changed several times.

The isn't a definitive answer at the moment , whether you believe there is or not,so do as you feel best, and don't chastise others if they do differently.

Again make of this info what you will, we were really surprisedby those events,but glad we knew,helped relieve some worry. So thought you might like to know

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

History shows that humans wouldn't have survived this far without masks and vaccines.

Breaking on Sky News. Russia ready to role out a vaccine that has gone through all stages of clinical trials......

Watch this space?

"Breaking on Sky News. Russia ready to role out a vaccine that has gone through all stages of clinical trials......

Watch this space?"

Would you be a volunteer?

I would straight away for Oxford vaccine.....Russia? I'll wait and see I think. Rolling out there from October apparently.

"I would straight away for Oxford vaccine.....Russia? I'll wait and see I think. Rolling out there from October apparently."

Yeah military and doctors first...I wonder if it mandatory

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Breaking on Sky News. Russia ready to role out a vaccine that has gone through all stages of clinical trials......

Watch this space?

Would you be a volunteer? "

I dont think they have much option of being a volunteer in russia.

Watch this space?

Would you be a volunteer? I dont think they have much option of being a volunteer in russia. "

I cant get the umbrella's out of my head

By *he James gangCouple  over a year ago

NEWTOWNABBEY

"and before I get abusive private messages - I know 99% on here are pro lockdown and agree with this unprecedented infringement of civil liberties - but there is a saying that when everyone thinks the same no one is thinking. "

There's one thing disagreeing about medical issues but when you bring civil liberties into the picture, that's when people think, is he for real!

Civil liberties, human rights, stop when it comes to spreading diseases. Wearing a raincoat on a warm sticky day, is unpleasant but you do it to stay dry. Now it's your right not to wear a raincoat but you know it makes sense. That's self interest! Just think of others for a change and wear a mask. Doctors and nurses don't complain like small children at having to wear a mask. Grow up. Capeesh!

"We already know a safe vaccine can be created. We know it produces antibodies in those vaccinated. The problem, and I suspect it's the problem that will kill the vaccine, is how long that protection lasts & how much protection does it give.

Natural antibodies for covid appear to decline sharply atter 3 - 4 months, although there are indications T cells may persist longer.

It' reasonable to assume vaccine produced antibodies may do the same. If they do, one of two situations could occur :

The vaccine produces partial immunity. It lessens the lenght & severity of the illness but does not prevent infection or onward transmission.

or

Both are problematic for the practicality of a vaccine. Can we really afford to build the infrastructure to vaccinate 60 million people every 3-4 months? Would people comply?

There are more reasons than just 'it didn't work' as to why a vaccine may prove impossible. I personally would not bet on one any time soon."

salisbury

More people die of smoking related health issues, when will they ban it? There's more chance of you hitting a pedestrian in your car than you giving Corona to someone else, when will they ban driving?

By *ensualguy70TV/TS  over a year ago

Renfrew

Mmm so this vaccination is the hub to giving us our rights, and liberties i take it???

Renfrew

"More people die of smoking related health issues, when will they ban it? There's more chance of you hitting a pedestrian in your car than you giving Corona to someone else, when will they ban driving?"

No of course not, too much money to lose sothe Government arent going to want to do that

Renfrew

"and before I get abusive private messages - I know 99% on here are pro lockdown and agree with this unprecedented infringement of civil liberties - but there is a saying that when everyone thinks the same no one is thinking.

There's one thing disagreeing about medical issues but when you bring civil liberties into the picture, that's when people think, is he for real!

Civil liberties, human rights, stop when it comes to spreading diseases. Wearing a raincoat on a warm sticky day, is unpleasant but you do it to stay dry. Now it's your right not to wear a raincoat but you know it makes sense. That's self interest! Just think of others for a change and wear a mask. Doctors and nurses don't complain like small children at having to wear a mask. Grow up. Capeesh!

"

Well i heard plenty of nurses complainibg of light headedness through wearing masks all day. Then they asked if they coukd take my bloods, i said not whilst you are feeling light headed.

i was forced to take that horrid test before my op, oh guess what results hadnt come back by the time i was entering theatre, so that just secured for me this is a scam

I’m intrigued by these families I read about on the internet, who are concerned that if a family member dies that Covid is on their death certificate when they don’t think it should.

My mother had several underlying health issues and finally passed away. Sepsis was mentioned on her death certificate because it was sepsis that proved too much for her body to cope any longer.

Surely Covid is just the same.

Nope

By *on12xxMan  over a year ago

leeds

Not thinking look in the mirror

"More people die of smoking related health issues, when will they ban it? There's more chance of you hitting a pedestrian in your car than you giving Corona to someone else, when will they ban driving?"

My spider senses tell me you made up the hitting pedestrians bit.

Manchester (she/her)

"I’m intrigued by these families I read about on the internet, who are concerned that if a family member dies that Covid is on their death certificate when they don’t think it should.

My mother had several underlying health issues and finally passed away. Sepsis was mentioned on her death certificate because it was sepsis that proved too much for her body to cope any longer.

Surely Covid is just the same."

It seems to be doing the rounds that it's one of many reasons why we should ignore public health and assume we'll be fine.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

"It was impossible to break the 4 minute mile, it was impossible to get to the top of Everest, it was impossible to put a man on the moon. Only ordinary people think things are impossible wheras extraordinary people go the extra mile to achieve something for the first time.

Oh have to love that statement did you read it or right it ? ?

Only ordinary people think things are impossible wheras extraordinary people go the extra mile to achieve something for the first time.

"

I wrote it...it seemed apt.

"You're the one saying it's impossible and coming up with made up percentages.

Unfortunately the only people that bleat on about their civil liberties are the same ones who can't see that there are social responsibilities attached to them.

"

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont think 50000 die from road accidents in 6 months so I'd challenge your stats there

"Just a question regards anti-bodies/immunity and getting covid again or not......I've not seen or found any reports of someone getting it twice.... anyone else? there have been some reports of people seeming to have had it twice but in most cases it seems it was more the virus never left and mid way through March it seemed like you could get one strain but then get another. I know they are looking into it as I've been lucky enough to be part of a study.

I still am showing anti bodies months after infection. "

I dont get these reports about decreased numbers of antibodies 3 month later.

My understanding was when your body gets infected with a virus .

It creates antibodies to fight off and kill said virus.

Once the virus has gone most of those antibodies die off because the threat is no longer there.

But the t cells remember the virus make up.

So when the virus tries to reinfect the body the antibodies multiply in numbers and kills it off before it gets a foothold again.

So its natural that 3 month after infection you would have less antibody as the threat is not there.

"Just a question regards anti-bodies/immunity and getting covid again or not......I've not seen or found any reports of someone getting it twice.... anyone else? there have been some reports of people seeming to have had it twice but in most cases it seems it was more the virus never left and mid way through March it seemed like you could get one strain but then get another. I know they are looking into it as I've been lucky enough to be part of a study.

I still am showing anti bodies months after infection.

I dont get these reports about decreased numbers of antibodies 3 month later.

My understanding was when your body gets infected with a virus .

It creates antibodies to fight off and kill said virus.

Once the virus has gone most of those antibodies die off because the threat is no longer there.

But the t cells remember the virus make up.

So when the virus tries to reinfect the body the antibodies multiply in numbers and kills it off before it gets a foothold again.

So its natural that 3 month after infection you would have less antibody as the threat is not there."

Makes sense.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"We already know a safe vaccine can be created. We know it produces antibodies in those vaccinated. The problem, and I suspect it's the problem that will kill the vaccine, is how long that protection lasts & how much protection does it give.

or

There are more reasons than just 'it didn't work' as to why a vaccine may prove impossible. I personally would not bet on one any time soon."

This is on the scientific money

"The OP is a perfect example of Dunning-Kruger."

Think you mean ‘government’ not OP. There’s no need to insult people

The arrogance of (most) human beings is absolutely astounding.

Let's say a vaccine cannot be found, then what do we do. The biggest casualty of all this is the entertainment industry. If we cannot entertain ourselves then what is the point.

This post isnt asking for alternative ways we can find entertainment. It's asking are you prepared to sacrifice the life we had before this virus forever.

Oh and whilst we are all distracted the coral reefs are still dying and deforestation all over the world.

Oxygen is only finite. Something to think about.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

Watch this space?"

Two things wrong on that, 1 Russia the country that poisons it says, 2 Sky News that gets all its headlines form randomly picking words from a hat.

Craggy Island

Watch this space?

Two things wrong on that, 1 Russia the country that poisons it spys. 2 Sky News that gets all its headlines form randomly picking words from a hat. "

Spy's.

Still no vaccine for previous strains, H1N1, SARS, etc... But we learn to adapt so a vaccine is desirable but not essential, most of these viruses become weaker over time or we build up a natural immunity. The human body is an incredible thing

North West

"Still no vaccine for previous strains, H1N1, SARS, etc... But we learn to adapt so a vaccine is desirable but not essential, most of these viruses become weaker over time or we build up a natural immunity. The human body is an incredible thing "

H1N1 is an influenza virus. SARS and SARS-COV-2 are coronaviruses. Totally and utterly different things, different genetic material, intracellular behaviour etc. Chalk and cheese.

"The arrogance of (most) human beings is absolutely astounding.

Let's say a vaccine cannot be found, then what do we do. The biggest casualty of all this is the entertainment industry. If we cannot entertain ourselves then what is the point.

This post isnt asking for alternative ways we can find entertainment. It's asking are you prepared to sacrifice the life we had before this virus forever.

Oh and whilst we are all distracted the coral reefs are still dying and deforestation all over the world.

Oxygen is only finite. Something to think about. "

The latest rover that NASA sent to Mars has a little gadget that turns CO2 into Oxygen .

So it may not by finate anymore.

Craggy Island

The only virus that was cured was small poxs found only though milk maids that used to get cow poxs as they never caught small poxs.

So don't hope for a vaccine, just like wearing masks it all government spiel to make people more confident.

The WHO should have stop this at Wuhan but tried to cover it up with the Chinese government.

"and before I get abusive private messages - I know 99% on here are pro lockdown and agree with this unprecedented infringement of civil liberties - but there is a saying that when everyone thinks the same no one is thinking.

Another civil liberties maniac! Yesterday I felt like driving at 180 miles per hour but I didn’t. I should have done on the ground it’s a civil liberty. "

Not sure how this is relevant.

I agree that we should question why our civil liberties are being changed. If you don’t ask, read, think then that makes you a sheep. It doesn’t mean I’m not going to wear a mask, for example but at the same time, I’m not going to accept everything without due consideration and research. Medical experts and government officials can’t seem to stay consistent, or to the rules even

I have the right to question. Looking through the COVID threads on here, it’s clear where the majority stand and the minority are quickly snuffed out. Members shouldnt worry they’ll get abusive messages. You do have to worry when we have to restrict our challenges and questioning of authority. Which can of state are we in then!?

The latest rover that NASA sent to Mars has a little gadget that turns CO2 into Oxygen .

So it may not by finate anymore."

Off to do some research. Thank you for that.

By *rincess PhoenixWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

I've had it and luckily as I don't have any underlying health issues I didn't have to be hospitalised or put on a respirator but it was a very nasty illness I was very ill for a couple of weeks and 4mths on I'm still suffering with fatigue and shortness of breath.

I am hoping it can't be caught twice but will do whatever I can to reduce my risk and the risk to others

"I've had it and luckily as I don't have any underlying health issues I didn't have to be hospitalised or put on a respirator but it was a very nasty illness I was very ill for a couple of weeks and 4mths on I'm still suffering with fatigue and shortness of breath.

I am hoping it can't be caught twice but will do whatever I can to reduce my risk and the risk to others "

I'm going for a antibody test in a weeks time...but doctor told me if it comes back positive, that I still need to take all the necessary precautions as I'm taking now.

It seems if you've had it once...your far from invincible against it...

Manchester (she/her)

Another civil liberties maniac! Yesterday I felt like driving at 180 miles per hour but I didn’t. I should have done on the ground it’s a civil liberty.

Not sure how this is relevant.

I agree that we should question why our civil liberties are being changed. If you don’t ask, read, think then that makes you a sheep. It doesn’t mean I’m not going to wear a mask, for example but at the same time, I’m not going to accept everything without due consideration and research. Medical experts and government officials can’t seem to stay consistent, or to the rules even

I have the right to question. Looking through the COVID threads on here, it’s clear where the majority stand and the minority are quickly snuffed out. Members shouldnt worry they’ll get abusive messages. You do have to worry when we have to restrict our challenges and questioning of authority. Which can of state are we in then!? "

Anyone can question. No one should be getting abusive messages.

But some questions are more informed than others. Sometimes opinions are just nonsense.

There's actual bodies of knowledge underpinning what we know about health, contagion, human behaviour, etc.

By *he James gangCouple  over a year ago

NEWTOWNABBEY

When people say, research it, do they mean Google it, talk to your mate in the pub, or read the 'lancet' or other peer reviewed article's in the relevant medical journals. Just saying.

North West

"When people say, research it, do they mean Google it, talk to your mate in the pub, or read the 'lancet' or other peer reviewed article's in the relevant medical journals. Just saying. "

I mean read the Lancet etc, but we can't link to peer reviewed journals on here. Just YouTube, Wikipedia etc.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"The OP is a perfect example of Dunning-Kruger."

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Why would anyone (Whitty) say our only way out of this is a vaccine - if there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus? You could say wen we are throwing more resources at this one - but if something is impossible then the amount of money you throw at it is irrelevant"
So negative so sad

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"When people say, research it, do they mean Google it, talk to your mate in the pub, or read the 'lancet' or other peer reviewed article's in the relevant medical journals. Just saying. "

Manchester (she/her)

"When people say, research it, do they mean Google it, talk to your mate in the pub, or read the 'lancet' or other peer reviewed article's in the relevant medical journals. Just saying.

I mean read the Lancet etc, but we can't link to peer reviewed journals on here. Just YouTube, Wikipedia etc. "

I'm not always equipped to read journals (paywalls plus I don't always have the knowledge to interpret them), but I go to reputable science communicators and ask people who are more qualified than me (and recognise the limitations in my understanding). I certainly don't Google it or read any old source.

Civil liberties

There's countries still under dictatorship in this day and age where you're not allowed to breathe without permission and will get shot or tortured just for being the wrong race/sex/religion but trying to be kept safe and alive by a government that cares about the wellbeing of its people is an infringement of civil liberties sure, pal

Manchester (she/her)

"Civil liberties

There's countries still under dictatorship in this day and age where you're not allowed to breathe without permission and will get shot or tortured just for being the wrong race/sex/religion but trying to be kept safe and alive by a government that cares about the wellbeing of its people is an infringement of civil liberties sure, pal "

There are issues with how this has happened, the inappropriate use of parliamentary powers, etc. That's concerning.

But icky masks I wanna go to the pub is just trivial nonsense.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There have been many firsts in the short history of homo sapiens, where naysayers were shown to be wrong. Just because something wasn't done before could mean that there wasn't the expertise, cumulative wisdom, motivation, technology or many other aspects of life that didn't produce it.

We have new motivation now that this virus is accepted as a new substantial threat to life in the way that the common cold coronavirus wasn't, for example. We also have new technologies, in the forms of computational power and RNA and other vaccine developments. Lots of drivers to now do something different to the past.

This doesn't mean that we will have 1 or more vaccines in the next few weeks but we've achieved already what many naysayers would have said we couldn't. 3 vaccines in final stage trials. Tens of thousands of people are being given these new vaccines as we speak.

The world is now interconnected in ways that it wasn't just a few years ago. The Spanish flu had travel but not at the level today, which allows a new disease infection to be in all continents in a couple of days. This virus is a type of coronavirus but is unique. Others mutate more rapidly than this does, making it more suitable for a vaccine. Money talks too. Many saw the creation of a vaccine for this global driver of economic catastrophe as a viable big money earner - hence almost 200 vaccine options in development in less than a few months.

Things can be unprecedented and some people are both open to this as well as work to achieve great new things. Not all people share those positive traits

"When people say, research it, do they mean Google it, talk to your mate in the pub, or read the 'lancet' or other peer reviewed article's in the relevant medical journals. Just saying.

I mean read the Lancet etc, but we can't link to peer reviewed journals on here. Just YouTube, Wikipedia etc.

I'm not always equipped to read journals (paywalls plus I don't always have the knowledge to interpret them), but I go to reputable science communicators and ask people who are more qualified than me (and recognise the limitations in my understanding). I certainly don't Google it or read any old source."

Knowing this lady personally, I'd listen to what she says. Very intelligent person.

Off to do some research. Thank you for that. "

Done some reading up on this. The Amazon is due to be all but decimated by 2080. Coral Reefs 2055.

This technology would take over 100 years to produce the amount of oxygen required for Luxembourg for only one year. All sources I've read say it just isn't sustainable.

Done some reading up on this. The Amazon is due to be all but decimated by 2080. Coral Reefs 2055.

This technology would take over 100 years to produce the amount of oxygen required for Luxembourg for only one year. All sources I've read say it just isn't sustainable.

"

I totally understand what you are saying but this thing that NASA are prototyping is just the start of that technology.

Obviously I am not saying the destruction of the amazon or coral reefs is ok.

Just stating they are prototyping new technologies for turning carbon dioxide to oxygen.

Another civil liberties maniac! Yesterday I felt like driving at 180 miles per hour but I didn’t. I should have done on the ground it’s a civil liberty. "

Yeah, while civil liberty is a nessesary part of life, I think most who advocate it are jobsworths and unable to think for themselves and the bigger picture, a bit like all those numbskull protestor marching about tearing about our history and increasing the spread of the virus

"Civil liberties

There's countries still under dictatorship in this day and age where you're not allowed to breathe without permission and will get shot or tortured just for being the wrong race/sex/religion but trying to be kept safe and alive by a government that cares about the wellbeing of its people is an infringement of civil liberties sure, pal

There are issues with how this has happened, the inappropriate use of parliamentary powers, etc. That's concerning.

But icky masks I wanna go to the pub is just trivial nonsense."

Yep, and people are obsessed with that nonsense as it's the reach of their lives.

However doesn't change the fact that people are having their ability to be entertained removed. That is a very concerning development.

Yeah, while civil liberty is a nessesary part of life, I think most who advocate it are jobsworths and unable to think for themselves and the bigger picture, a bit like all those numbskull protestor marching about tearing about our history and increasing the spread of the virus "

Other than Bristol, where else did this happen in the UK.

Not a fan of revisionist history.

I totally understand what you are saying but this thing that NASA are prototyping is just the start of that technology.

Obviously I am not saying the destruction of the amazon or coral reefs is ok.

Just stating they are prototyping new technologies for turning carbon dioxide to oxygen. "

It's interesting, I'll give you that. I like learning new things and this gave me the opportunity to, so thank you

Manchester (she/her)

"Civil liberties

Yep, and people are obsessed with that nonsense as it's the reach of their lives.

However doesn't change the fact that people are having their ability to be entertained removed. That is a very concerning development. "

Oh of course. I'm not trivialising big changes. Just, we need to do the work to drive infections down, think of everyone.

"Civil liberties

However doesn't change the fact that people are having their ability to be entertained removed. That is a very concerning development.

Oh of course. I'm not trivialising big changes. Just, we need to do the work to drive infections down, think of everyone."

I think we are tbh, the concern is now its like the govt is negging us almost. They realise that brexit + a 2nd wave would be disasterous for the UK. They estimate 5 million of us have had it which leaves 61 million of us that haven't. A 2nd wave plus seasonal influenza could have disasterous consequences.

It's just the beginning, we are at the start of this pandemic

"It's just the beginning, we are at the start of this pandemic "

I agree, but it's what economic actions our government will take that concerns me.

I think that we wont see a vaccine for it in our lifetime like other vaccines that should of cured other things 30 or 40 years ago that still havent been developed, they should focus more on how to live with it but to minimise the symptoms and it seems that the asthma inhalers could be the answer for it

"I think that we wont see a vaccine for it in our lifetime like other vaccines that should of cured other things 30 or 40 years ago that still havent been developed, they should focus more on how to live with it but to minimise the symptoms and it seems that the asthma inhalers could be the answer for it "

Yeah I don't think a vaccine will ever be found, more realistic is finding medication to minimise the effect once infected

"I think that we wont see a vaccine for it in our lifetime like other vaccines that should of cured other things 30 or 40 years ago that still havent been developed, they should focus more on how to live with it but to minimise the symptoms and it seems that the asthma inhalers could be the answer for it "

I disagree, as no other illness has had anywhere near the money being thrown at it,all around the world...

Manchester (she/her)

"Civil liberties

Oh of course. I'm not trivialising big changes. Just, we need to do the work to drive infections down, think of everyone.

I think we are tbh, the concern is now its like the govt is negging us almost. They realise that brexit + a 2nd wave would be disasterous for the UK. They estimate 5 million of us have had it which leaves 61 million of us that haven't. A 2nd wave plus seasonal influenza could have disasterous consequences. "

Oh yes. I blame the government first and foremost for crappy messaging, poor action, not taking responsibility. But on here it's like, people seem to be proud of spitting in the face of public health. No. We need to pull together, you know?

"I think that we wont see a vaccine for it in our lifetime like other vaccines that should of cured other things 30 or 40 years ago that still havent been developed, they should focus more on how to live with it but to minimise the symptoms and it seems that the asthma inhalers could be the answer for it

Yeah I don't think a vaccine will ever be found, more realistic is finding medication to minimise the effect once infected "

We already have that, Hydroxychloroquinine and zinc has shown great success at curing covid.

Manchester (she/her)

"I think that we wont see a vaccine for it in our lifetime like other vaccines that should of cured other things 30 or 40 years ago that still havent been developed, they should focus more on how to live with it but to minimise the symptoms and it seems that the asthma inhalers could be the answer for it

Yeah I don't think a vaccine will ever be found, more realistic is finding medication to minimise the effect once infected

We already have that, Hydroxychloroquinine and zinc has shown great success at curing covid.

"

Hydroxychloroquinine is a failed hypothesis being kept alive for political reasons.

Hydroxychloroquinine is a failed hypothesis being kept alive for political reasons."

Ironically been disproven by several American based studies.

"Civil liberties

I think we are tbh, the concern is now its like the govt is negging us almost. They realise that brexit + a 2nd wave would be disasterous for the UK. They estimate 5 million of us have had it which leaves 61 million of us that haven't. A 2nd wave plus seasonal influenza could have disasterous consequences.

Oh yes. I blame the government first and foremost for crappy messaging, poor action, not taking responsibility. But on here it's like, people seem to be proud of spitting in the face of public health. No. We need to pull together, you know?"

The brexit split still exists and for the most part is being used to dictate attitudes towards the pandemic. Like two rival gangs the UK atm. I am a big believer that public health should not be politicised.

"

Yes and it is good that they are doing research on it as well. I think in september we will know about it

Hydroxychloroquinine is a failed hypothesis being kept alive for political reasons."

Yes, it's for political and financial reasons.

HCQ is a successful drug but it's too cheap to make big profits for the pharma companies.

Also, one of the stipulations to getting emergency approval for a covid vaccine is there must be no adequate, approved and available alternative.

That's why HCQ is dismissed although it works, as they wouldn't be able to push for this vaccine otherwise.

Hydroxychloroquinine is a failed hypothesis being kept alive for political reasons.

HCQ is a successful drug but it's too cheap to make big profits for the pharma companies.

Also, one of the stipulations to getting emergency approval for a covid vaccine is there must be no adequate, approved and available alternative.

That's why HCQ is dismissed although it works, as they wouldn't be able to push for this vaccine otherwise.

"

From the WHO website.

On 17 June 2020, WHO announced that the hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) arm of the Solidarity Trial to find an effective COVID-19 treatment was being stopped.

The trial's Executive Group and principal investigators made the decision based on evidence from the Solidarity trial, UK's Recovery trial and a Cochrane review of other evidence on hydroxychloroquine.

Data from Solidarity (including the French Discovery trial data) and the recently announced results from the UK's Recovery trial both showed that hydroxychloroquine does not result in the reduction of mortality of hospitalised COVID-19 patients, when compared with standard of care.

Would you like me to get more sources or is that enough.

Yes and it is good that they are doing research on it as well. I think in september we will know about it "

I'll throw this in and let you decide if it's good or not

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xO6dLyJhZWA

"

Please stop getting your data from Twitter and Facebook reposts. There is not some global conspiracy theory where the "elite" are suppressing treatments, faking a global pandemic or using it to rebalance global population. Please apply some common sense (although I appreciate this is seemingly in short supply at the moment). This pandemic helps no politician, sector of the economy or member of the public. Everyone is losing right now, so please stop thinking this is being done for the benefit of some shadowy underground cabal.

Manchester (she/her)

Please stop getting your data from Twitter and Facebook reposts. There is not some global conspiracy theory where the "elite" are suppressing treatments, faking a global pandemic or using it to rebalance global population. Please apply some common sense (although I appreciate this is seemingly in short supply at the moment). This pandemic helps no politician, sector of the economy or member of the public. Everyone is losing right now, so please stop thinking this is being done for the benefit of some shadowy underground cabal."

*Standing ovation*

Yes and it is good that they are doing research on it as well. I think in september we will know about it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xO6dLyJhZWA"

Hate the source

Hate the Doctor.

From the WHO website.

On 17 June 2020, WHO announced that the hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) arm of the Solidarity Trial to find an effective COVID-19 treatment was being stopped.

The trial's Executive Group and principal investigators made the decision based on evidence from the Solidarity trial, UK's Recovery trial and a Cochrane review of other evidence on hydroxychloroquine.

Data from Solidarity (including the French Discovery trial data) and the recently announced results from the UK's Recovery trial both showed that hydroxychloroquine does not result in the reduction of mortality of hospitalised COVID-19 patients, when compared with standard of care.

Would you like me to get more sources or is that enough. "

No more sources needed, that's great thanks

It shows that they are doing everything they can to dismiss the HCQ cure.

The very trusted WHO too

Please stop getting your data from Twitter and Facebook reposts. There is not some global conspiracy theory where the "elite" are suppressing treatments, faking a global pandemic or using it to rebalance global population. Please apply some common sense (although I appreciate this is seemingly in short supply at the moment). This pandemic helps no politician, sector of the economy or member of the public. Everyone is losing right now, so please stop thinking this is being done for the benefit of some shadowy underground cabal."

China is predicting economic growth in the next quarter .

Just saying

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xO6dLyJhZWA"

You will always get those that are for and against a thing as well.

Please stop getting your data from Twitter and Facebook reposts. There is not some global conspiracy theory where the "elite" are suppressing treatments, faking a global pandemic or using it to rebalance global population. Please apply some common sense (although I appreciate this is seemingly in short supply at the moment). This pandemic helps no politician, sector of the economy or member of the public. Everyone is losing right now, so please stop thinking this is being done for the benefit of some shadowy underground cabal.

China is predicting economic growth in the next quarter .

Just saying "

It's not hard though, considering how much their economy retracted.

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too "

But if you've read what they've said the decision was based of a UK and French study. Are you saying you don't trust our own scientists?

People need to start reading all the information given to them and not just cherry pick what suits there agenda.

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

But if you've read what they've said the decision was based of a UK and French study. Are you saying you don't trust our own scientists?

People need to start reading all the information given to them and not just cherry pick what suits there agenda. "

I totally trust our scientists, to dismiss the effectiveness of HCQ .

This is very important as there's not much money to be made in HCQ and it could stop a vaccine being distributed as we have a cure for covid.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

People need to start reading all the information given to them and not just cherry pick what suits there agenda. "

It doesn't suit the "anti" narrative though... Its much much easier to keep peddling unfounded rumours than go to the hassle of reading or researching

Manchester (she/her)

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

People need to start reading all the information given to them and not just cherry pick what suits there agenda.

It doesn't suit the "anti" narrative though... Its much much easier to keep peddling unfounded rumours than go to the hassle of reading or researching "

Quite.

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

This is very important as there's not much money to be made in HCQ and it could stop a vaccine being distributed as we have a cure for covid."

OK ill play along. What current peer studies have you read that support the use of this drug. If you don't trust any of our Doctors or scientists to tell the truth, then surely you should never visit them when you get sick?.

I'm looking forward to reading youre sources.

So all these governments around the world are putting their countries heavily into debt to help line the pockets of big pharmaceutical companies.

Well obviously not the pharmaceutical companies who make these so called wonder cures for Covid, they’re not in on the big pay day.

I didn't think we could vaccinate a virus as viruses mutate, hence why antibiotics don't work for them?

"I didn't think we could vaccinate a virus as viruses mutate, hence why antibiotics don't work for them? "

Why didn’t someone drop this bombshell before.

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

This is very important as there's not much money to be made in HCQ and it could stop a vaccine being distributed as we have a cure for covid.

OK ill play along. What current peer studies have you read that support the use of this drug. If you don't trust any of our Doctors or scientists to tell the truth, then surely you should never visit them when you get sick?.

I'm looking forward to reading youre sources. "

I am pro science. I do trust the doctors to tell the truth, especially the ones who've successfully treated and cured covid patients with HCQ.

Unfortunately a lot of these doctors are being silenced.

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

This is very important as there's not much money to be made in HCQ and it could stop a vaccine being distributed as we have a cure for covid."

Rubbish, if HCQ was effective, there would be nothing to stop the manufacturer raising the price under the guise of needing to ramp up production facilities, they would also have immediate orders for around 7 billion doses as governments would be looking to dose everyone in the world even if it was just precautionary to get all the asymptomatic carriers. The unfortunate truth is, that despite initially showing possible positive signs, the drug has now been proven not to have any significant benefit and in turn comes with the risk of unwanted side effects.

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

I am pro science. I do trust the doctors to tell the truth, especially the ones who've successfully treated and cured covid patients with HCQ.

Unfortunately a lot of these doctors are being silenced."

Still haven't provided me with any sources. Speaks volumes.

Will someone take that fishing rod off telfordave. His nets getting full.

"I didn't think we could vaccinate a virus as viruses mutate, hence why antibiotics don't work for them? "

You absolutely can create vaccines for viruses. Polio is a prime example. Antibiotics are to treat bacterial infections not viral ones. Both virus and bacteria can mutate, this often does not render a vaccine or treatment inert, although it depends on the type and severity of the mutation.

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

Rubbish, if HCQ was effective, there would be nothing to stop the manufacturer raising the price under the guise of needing to ramp up production facilities, they would also have immediate orders for around 7 billion doses as governments would be looking to dose everyone in the world even if it was just precautionary to get all the asymptomatic carriers. The unfortunate truth is, that despite initially showing possible positive signs, the drug has now been proven not to have any significant benefit and in turn comes with the risk of unwanted side effects. "

^^^^^^This.

"Will someone take that fishing rod off telfordave. His nets getting full."

Always happy to inform people, especially ones who believe politicians, news media, newspapers would never ever tell a lie

"Will someone take that fishing rod off telfordave. His nets getting full.

Always happy to inform people, especially ones who believe politicians, news media, newspapers would never ever tell a lie "

See the term to inform usually means you have provided information. You don’t appear to be doing so.

Manchester (she/her)

Always happy to inform people, especially ones who believe politicians, news media, newspapers would never ever tell a lie "

I'm not sure the only alternatives are believe everything the government says or fall into the conspiracy deep end.

I've been encouraging ignoring the government for months. (No that doesn't mean breaking social distancing or skipping masks)

Always happy to inform people, especially ones who believe politicians, news media, newspapers would never ever tell a lie

See the term to inform usually means you have provided information. You don’t appear to be doing so."

I've already explained why the cure HCQ has to be dismissed.

One of the stipulations to getting emergency approval for a covid vaccine is there must be no adequate, approved and available alternative.

Manchester (she/her)

See the term to inform usually means you have provided information. You don’t appear to be doing so.

One of the stipulations to getting emergency approval for a covid vaccine is there must be no adequate, approved and available alternative.

"

You got any... evidence?

You got any... evidence?"

Yes of course, here's evidence HCQ is being dismissed...

From the WHO website.

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

"

Yep, which is because it doesn't actually work!

Manchester (she/her)

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

Yep, which is because it doesn't actually work!"

... Anything can be twisted to fit the narrative.

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

Yep, which is because it doesn't actually work!"

Yes that is the narrative that's being pushed, that HCQ doesn't work, so they can claim the fast tracked vaccine is the only solution .

Or as Bill Gates calls it, the vaccine is the "final solution".

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

Yes that is the narrative that's being pushed, that HCQ doesn't work, so they can claim the fast tracked vaccine is the only solution .

Or as Bill Gates calls it, the vaccine is the "final solution"."

Seriously, please just stop. Go to your internet favourites and delete them. You are not educating anyone on "the real truth" like you think you are. You are spreading ridiculous nonsense and are being taken in by other conspiracy theorists because their version of events sounds much more exciting than the actual truth. HCQ doesn't work like you think it does, nothing our government can do would stop other countries using it right now if it did and all of a sudden, we'd find ourselves as the only country in the world still with Covid. And as for your ludicrous reference to Bill Gates, it just shows how far down the rabbit hole you have fallen. People are trying to help you out of it, but you need to accept their help first.

North West

We vaccinate against tons of viral infections. Measles, mumps, rubella, polio, hepatitis (various), rotavirus, influenza, HPV, chickenpox/shingles (given to older people). That's just the NHS routine list over a person's lifetime. There are many other viral illnesses we can vaccinate against, eg for foreign travel.

Antibiotics specifically disrupt mechanisms by which bacteria replicate and so antibiotics are not effective against viruses. We do have some anti viral treatments but all of these simply suppress the virus, either until the body clears it naturally eg Tamiflu for influenza OR are taken long term to suppress an infection eg HIV drugs, acyclovir for herpes (which you don't get rid of once you have).

North West

Oh and PS: bacteria mutate too. Example - acquisition of antibiotic resistance genes by some types of bacteria.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

A vaccine for corona virus or a vaccine for Covid 19?

You know how vaccines work? First you need something to vaccinate against.

Chris Whitty, leading expert in his field, is probably correct.

E

(Nurse Rtd)

birmingham

"Why would anyone (Whitty) say our only way out of this is a vaccine - if there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus? You could say wen we are throwing more resources at this one - but if something is impossible then the amount of money you throw at it is irrelevant

E

(Nurse Rtd)"

Covid19 is a coronavirus. There has never been a vaccine for a coronoavirus

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

Seriously, please just stop. Go to your internet favourites and delete them. You are not educating anyone on "the real truth" like you think you are. You are spreading ridiculous nonsense and are being taken in by other conspiracy theorists because their version of events sounds much more exciting than the actual truth. HCQ doesn't work like you think it does, nothing our government can do would stop other countries using it right now if it did and all of a sudden, we'd find ourselves as the only country in the world still with Covid. And as for your ludicrous reference to Bill Gates, it just shows how far down the rabbit hole you have fallen. People are trying to help you out of it, but you need to accept their help first."

How can you help me?

Please help me, I'm begging you

"Why would anyone (Whitty) say our only way out of this is a vaccine - if there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus? You could say wen we are throwing more resources at this one - but if something is impossible then the amount of money you throw at it is irrelevant

E

(Nurse Rtd)

Covid19 is a coronavirus. There has never been a vaccine for a coronoavirus"

We have never had this particular Corona virus to try to vaccinate against either. Are you suggesting we shouldn't try and make one?

North West

E

(Nurse Rtd)

Most circulating coronaviruses cause mild disease, so vaccine research hasn't been cost effective. SARS stopped circulating before they found a vaccine so they stopped. MERS has been localised to mainly very sparsely populated places and so perhaps there has been limited impetus for research into that too.

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

Seriously, please just stop. Go to your internet favourites and delete them. You are not educating anyone on "the real truth" like you think you are. You are spreading ridiculous nonsense and are being taken in by other conspiracy theorists because their version of events sounds much more exciting than the actual truth. HCQ doesn't work like you think it does, nothing our government can do would stop other countries using it right now if it did and all of a sudden, we'd find ourselves as the only country in the world still with Covid. And as for your ludicrous reference to Bill Gates, it just shows how far down the rabbit hole you have fallen. People are trying to help you out of it, but you need to accept their help first.

How can you help me?

Please help me, I'm begging you"

I've given you the first step. Delete the favourites you have for the sites you clearly frequent where you are getting your "information" from. I would then highly recommend getting some formal scientific training, biology would be a good start, maybe following up with some basic medical training. The open university is an excellent resource allowing you to study whilst still working. Then start reviewing fact checking sites such as fullfact and Snopes (I cannot post links without infringing site rules). These will allow you to start to identify hoaxes that are circulating on the internet. Often there are many similar ones with only a few details changed. Sometimes the basic structure is copied over to many different topics. There are also many reputable scientific sites you can go to that are independent of the government such as New Scientist and the Lancet.

birmingham

"Why would anyone (Whitty) say our only way out of this is a vaccine - if there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus? You could say wen we are throwing more resources at this one - but if something is impossible then the amount of money you throw at it is irrelevantSo negative so sad"

Or realistic?

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

"

So again. You've cherry picked information that fits your agenda and posted it out of context. Before I posted this above I'm willing to bet you were never even aware of this statement from the WHO.

Ask yourself why you are thinking the way you do?

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

Unfortunately a lot of these doctors are being silenced."

Any names of these Dr's who have been silenced?

If anti bodies disappear after 3 to 4 months then how do all other vaccines work. The body will produce less but still have the ability to produce more if the virus reappears in the body that is how a vaccine works, By giving the body the armoury to fight an infection.

North West

"If anti bodies disappear after 3 to 4 months then how do all other vaccines work. The body will produce less but still have the ability to produce more if the virus reappears in the body that is how a vaccine works, By giving the body the armoury to fight an infection."

Other diseases result in longer lived immunity and so the vaccine mediated immunity lasts longer. That's why booster doses vary in the period between them depending on the level of immunity that particular vaccine gives.

Most coronaviruses in general give weak humoral immunity (the type of immunity that results in antibody production) and SARS-COV-2 is no different. We have, over our lifetimes, probably better infected and reinfected with other circulating coronaviruses, some of which cause heavy cold symptoms that are indistinguishable from the more common rhinovirus or adenovirus colds.

North West

*probably BEEN infected

God, I wish you could edit posts on here!

By *69BANMan  over a year ago

Reading

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

Any names of these Dr's who have been silenced? "

There was Dr Who, Dr Seuss, Doc Holliday, Dr Nick (off The Simpsons), and House MD.

By *az080378Woman  over a year ago

Cromer

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

There was Dr Who, Dr Seuss, Doc Holliday, Dr Nick (off The Simpsons), and House MD. "

Don't bring House into this!!!!

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

Moronic comparison. Smoking is a personal choice, you dont get a choice in catching covid.

[Removed by poster at 02/08/20 19:56:16]

From the WHO website.

The very trusted WHO too

There was Dr Who, Dr Seuss, Doc Holliday, Dr Nick (off The Simpsons), and House MD.

Don't bring House into this!!!! "

House would have already had a vaccine!

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

How can you help me?

I've given you the first step. Delete the favourites you have for the sites you clearly frequent where you are getting your "information" from. I would then highly recommend getting some formal scientific training, biology would be a good start, maybe following up with some basic medical training. The open university is an excellent resource allowing you to study whilst still working. Then start reviewing fact checking sites such as fullfact and Snopes (I cannot post links without infringing site rules). These will allow you to start to identify hoaxes that are circulating on the internet. Often there are many similar ones with only a few details changed. Sometimes the basic structure is copied over to many different topics. There are also many reputable scientific sites you can go to that are independent of the government such as New Scientist and the Lancet."

Thank you so much, I've deleted all my favourites and bookmarked sites. They were all conspiracy rubbish pages. I'm ashamed to say I even believed them

The conspiracy nutters have been going on for decades about Jeffrey Epstein having some island, inviting VIPs and underage girls.

It's all tin hatted nonsense of course but has caused harm, including the suicide of poor Jeffrey.

Now they've arrested Ghislaine Maxwell just because she had met Epstein.

Would you march with me for the release of innocent Ghislaine?

I will just read Snopes as you've kindly advised me. It's sponsored by the wonderful George Soros so I know it will be 100% facts.

North West

Let's take care not to go down the anti Semitic route, eh Dave? Because that what all the anti-George Soros stuff is.

Ordinary people also go the extra mile and achieve extra ordinary things. It's then that others think they're extraordinary people. Extraordinary people have also faced the wall and said it's impossible and then someone else has managed it.

"Let's take care not to go down the anti Semitic route, eh Dave? Because that what all the anti-George Soros stuff is. "

I just said the wonderful George Soros, I'm a huge admirer of the man and his philanthropy.

I hope you are not anti-George Soros.

North West

"Let's take care not to go down the anti Semitic route, eh Dave? Because that what all the anti-George Soros stuff is.

I just said the wonderful George Soros, I'm a huge admirer of the man and his philanthropy.

I hope you are not anti-George Soros.

"

My Granny always told me that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Appropriate, don't you think?

I just wonder what took you to this place. You don't seem very happy there. Let's say you are right (which I don't think you are) what can you personally do with this knowledge to affect change. Other than say you were right.

You got any... evidence?

From the WHO website.

How can you help me?

I've given you the first step. Delete the favourites you have for the sites you clearly frequent where you are getting your "information" from. I would then highly recommend getting some formal scientific training, biology would be a good start, maybe following up with some basic medical training. The open university is an excellent resource allowing you to study whilst still working. Then start reviewing fact checking sites such as fullfact and Snopes (I cannot post links without infringing site rules). These will allow you to start to identify hoaxes that are circulating on the internet. Often there are many similar ones with only a few details changed. Sometimes the basic structure is copied over to many different topics. There are also many reputable scientific sites you can go to that are independent of the government such as New Scientist and the Lancet.

Thank you so much, I've deleted all my favourites and bookmarked sites. They were all conspiracy rubbish pages. I'm ashamed to say I even believed them

The conspiracy nutters have been going on for decades about Jeffrey Epstein having some island, inviting VIPs and underage girls.

It's all tin hatted nonsense of course but has caused harm, including the suicide of poor Jeffrey.

Now they've arrested Ghislaine Maxwell just because she had met Epstein.

Would you march with me for the release of innocent Ghislaine?

I will just read Snopes as you've kindly advised me. It's sponsored by the wonderful George Soros so I know it will be 100% facts.

"

There is a saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. When you truly understand a topic (such as how virus' work) you then understand how ridiculous the conspiracy theories around then are. I'm not going to sit and analyze every single item you believe and why its right or wrong. There is no one on the planet that is wrong about everything and likewise being right about something doesn't mean you are about everything else. But if you want to proclaim facts about something, then you should have a decent base knowledge on the subject, or accept that what you believe may be wrong and that you simply held an incorrect opinion. Simply taking a convincing sounding argument as truth with no underlying understanding is a dangerous thing. It leaves you open to manipulation and misinterpretation.

The South

E

(Nurse Rtd)

I know Covid 19 is a Corona Virus.

Do you know why there's never been a vaccine for Covid 19?

"Still no vaccine for previous strains, H1N1, SARS, etc... But we learn to adapt so a vaccine is desirable but not essential, most of these viruses become weaker over time or we build up a natural immunity. The human body is an incredible thing

H1N1 is an influenza virus. SARS and SARS-COV-2 are coronaviruses. Totally and utterly different things, different genetic material, intracellular behaviour etc. Chalk and cheese. "

That's not the point, the point I was making is that these viruses still exist but we have adapted as we must do with covid 19.

Manchester (she/her)

"Still no vaccine for previous strains, H1N1, SARS, etc... But we learn to adapt so a vaccine is desirable but not essential, most of these viruses become weaker over time or we build up a natural immunity. The human body is an incredible thing

H1N1 is an influenza virus. SARS and SARS-COV-2 are coronaviruses. Totally and utterly different things, different genetic material, intracellular behaviour etc. Chalk and cheese.

That's not the point, the point I was making is that these viruses still exist but we have adapted as we must do with covid 19."

Why must we adapt? Vaccines exist.

Should we have just adapted to smallpox?

That's not the point, the point I was making is that these viruses still exist but we have adapted as we must do with covid 19.

Should we have just adapted to smallpox?"

I don't agree that we must adapt, but I accept we might have to. Who here is prepared to live like this for a year. 2 years. 10 years.

I don't think I am.

Manchester (she/her)

I don't agree that we must adapt, but I accept we might have to. Who here is prepared to live like this for a year. 2 years. 10 years.

I don't think I am. "

Oh of course.

But I think there's a difference between "there's no guarantee of a vaccine" and "meh. Won't be a vaccine. Tough shit"

I don't think I am.

Oh of course.

But I think there's a difference between "there's no guarantee of a vaccine" and "meh. Won't be a vaccine. Tough shit""

Massive difference. I'd want to hear we had exhausted a lot of avenues first.

birmingham

E

(Nurse Rtd)

We have never had this particular Corona virus to try to vaccinate against either. Are you suggesting we shouldn't try and make one? "

I don't think we should say we can only go back to normal when we have a vaccine - because we may never have a vaccine

birmingham

E

(Nurse Rtd)

Do you know why there's never been a vaccine for Covid 19?"

Because it's difficult (possibly impossible) to make vaccines for coronaviruses

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

There are vaccines for use in cattle against Corona viruses, obviously those are for use against different strains than covid19.

But it shows that it is possible to produce effective vaccines, whether those being developed against cv19 will is not yet known

birmingham

"It was impossible to break the 4 minute mile, it was impossible to get to the top of Everest, it was impossible to put a man on the moon. Only ordinary people think things are impossible wheras extraordinary people go the extra mile to achieve something for the first time.

Ordinary people also go the extra mile and achieve extra ordinary things. It's then that others think they're extraordinary people. Extraordinary people have also faced the wall and said it's impossible and then someone else has managed it.

"

So that's what our futures depend on? Count me out of such wishful thinking

Manchester (she/her)

So that's what our futures depend on? Count me out of such wishful thinking"

What's the alternative? Letting people die and/or develop disability which might be long term or permanent?

What's the alternative? Letting people die and/or develop disability which might be long term or permanent?"

A lot of peoples understanding of the long term effects of the virus when you suffer severe symptoms and survive are very poor.

Personally I feel a middle ground, but we have already come massive leaps and bounds in how we treat and contain this in 6 months.

You’re just going to ignore that before the polio vaccine, polio was a thing?

Manchester (she/her)

What's the alternative? Letting people die and/or develop disability which might be long term or permanent?

A lot of peoples understanding of the long term effects of the virus when you suffer severe symptoms and survive are very poor.

Personally I feel a middle ground, but we have already come massive leaps and bounds in how we treat and contain this in 6 months. "

Agreed. We've learned a lot, we've had time to contain.

Doesn't mean we stop looking.

Manchester (she/her)

You’re just going to ignore that before the polio vaccine, polio was a thing? "

Polio is still a thing, alas.

North West

Polio is still a thing, alas."

But generally not a thing where there is a high level of vaccine uptake. Only 3 countries are considered polio endemic and all have serious issues with vaccine uptake (Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria)

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/does-polio-still-exist-is-it-curable

Manchester (she/her)

Polio is still a thing, alas.

But generally not a thing where there is a high level of vaccine uptake. Only 3 countries are considered polio endemic and all have serious issues with vaccine uptake (Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria)

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/does-polio-still-exist-is-it-curable"

Yes. Not high enough. Issues exist.

But we forget because people have vaccinated.

By *rbrooksMan  over a year ago

birmingham

What's the alternative? Letting people die and/or develop disability which might be long term or permanent?"

yes - i coud be one of them. We can't permanently hide from life and its risks

Manchester (she/her)

yes - i coud be one of them. We can't permanently hide from life and its risks"

We manage risk all the time. That's why we have time to argue online.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"There are vaccines for use in cattle against Corona viruses, obviously those are for use against different strains than covid19.

But it shows that it is possible to produce effective vaccines, whether those being developed against cv19 will is not yet known"

Presumably cowvid 19

Should we have just adapted to smallpox?"

Vaccines don't exist yet for H1N1 SARS or covid 19. H1N1 and SARS have been around for years without a successful vaccine being created.

E

(Nurse Rtd)

We have never had this particular Corona virus to try to vaccinate against either. Are you suggesting we shouldn't try and make one?

I don't think we should say we can only go back to normal when we have a vaccine - because we may never have a vaccine"

Exactly. Vaccines can take years to develop.

The South

E

(Nurse Rtd)

Because it's difficult (possibly impossible) to make vaccines for coronaviruses"

Nope.

I've already given you the answer.

E

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

"

Is it a bit like nobody ever having tried making a vaccine for PloppyBottom21 ?

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

Vaccines don't exist yet for H1N1 SARS or covid 19. H1N1 and SARS have been around for years without a successful vaccine being created."

To be fair SARS and H1N1 disappeared off the radar and no-one was that interested in a vaccine. No money to be made. They might have another go now, as governments will be looking to head off all possible virus threats.

There is trial which successfully reinfected monkeys that had the disease for a second time. No trial to re-infect humans has been done yet.

There is some evidence to suggest reinfection could occur but as of yet no case studies to prove it.

The answer will come with time as subsequent infections would probably need a loss of immunity and or mutation in the virus. We are too early in the spread to have encountered this.

"Just a question regards anti-bodies/immunity and getting covid again or not......I've not seen or found any reports of someone getting it twice.... anyone else?

There is trial which successfully reinfected monkeys that had the disease for a second time. No trial to re-infect humans has been done yet.

There is some evidence to suggest reinfection could occur but as of yet no case studies to prove it.

The answer will come with time as subsequent infections would probably need a loss of immunity and or mutation in the virus. We are too early in the spread to have encountered this. "

Incorrect. Kayla Braxton of WWE fame had it once in March. Tested negative in April, Then positive again in June.

The answer will come with time as subsequent infections would probably need a loss of immunity and or mutation in the virus. We are too early in the spread to have encountered this.

Incorrect. Kayla Braxton of WWE fame had it once in March. Tested negative in April, Then positive again in June. "

As others have stated previously there are a number of reports of people with multiple infections. To date none have been able to be proven to be that.

We have had patients who where positive, swabbed negative and then subsequently swabbed positive again. The time period you mention is also notorious for false negative testing, guidelines for testing where changed after this point due to the amount of inaccurate test results.

For clarity I’m neither saying people can or can’t be reinfected. I’m stating the well voiced view that at this moment it’s an unknown quantity, there’s no conclusive case studies to show it as a certainty.

salisbury

"

Dont think 50000 die from road accidents in 6 months so I'd challenge your stats there"

I didn't say killing pedestrians...