FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Possible gov pilot - The army will covid test every resident of Redcar (also 2 others)

Possible gov pilot - The army will covid test every resident of Redcar (also 2 others)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *J OP   Couple  over a year ago

Teesside

Possible government pilot - The army will covid test every resident of Redcar and also 2 other undisclosed council areas in the UK.

Local news coverage at -

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/we-army-coming-in-council-19182991

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Obviously they can only test people with their consent

It's the only way to get on top of things, to find all the asymptomatic people etc.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oooo iv been wanting to vent rage and grief for months how exciting

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Who are the two people not from Redcar that will be tested?

"Who are the two people not from Redcar that will be tested?"

What ?

It clearly says 2 other undisclosed councils.

North West

"Who are the two people not from Redcar that will be tested?"

Karen and Ron off FB

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

"Obviously they can only test people with their consent

It's the only way to get on top of things, to find all the asymptomatic people etc."

and lock them up ?

North West

"Obviously they can only test people with their consent

It's the only way to get on top of things, to find all the asymptomatic people etc.

and lock them up ?"

Obviously, set up special detainment centres in the Yorkshire Dales. Maybe stick 'em on a P&O ferry in the North Sea

The correct answer is ask them to isolate for the 14 days to stop them infecting others, per the law.

Will the squaddies be tooled up?

Jumping out of choppers with their squad leader shouting'GO GO GO!'..?

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

And hor auf oder ich werd schieben.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

So every resident of Redcar will have to stay at home while they wait for their test results ?

Leeds

I have just seen that they are 30 minute saliva tests.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

I guess that"news" paper just got more advertising revenue clicks today than the last 20 years

Teesside

"I guess that"news" paper just got more advertising revenue clicks today than the last 20 years "

I work in that council directly with the people involved in the discussions. I knew about this before it broke in the local news but waited until there was 1 local news source to quote before posting.

Hopefully I've enough respect in the forums from other members that they would know I wouldn't post fake news or drum up click bait for a local news site.

This is a specific new goverment strategy actively been looked into right now. If it gets the green light which I believe it will then it will quickly become national news.

I posted it because whatever you believe regarding covid as a strategic choice by the government itself its worth discussion.

KJ

the wetlands

"I guess that"news" paper just got more advertising revenue clicks today than the last 20 years

I work in that council directly with the people involved in the discussions. I knew about this before it broke in the local news but waited until there was 1 local news source to quote before posting.

Hopefully I've enough respect in the forums from other members that they would know I wouldn't post fake news or drum up click bait for a local news site.

This is a specific new goverment strategy actively been looked into right now. If it gets the green light which I believe it will then it will quickly become national news.

I posted it because whatever you believe regarding covid as a strategic choice by the government itself its worth discussion.

KJ"

Did anyone say you posted fake news ? Did anyone accuse you of click baiting ?

But it's probably true they got more clicks today than in years #sarcasm

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

Help me out here, Government plot to achieve WHAT, exactly?

Besides a clear picture of COVID infection rates in Redcar.

Teesside

"I guess that"news" paper just got more advertising revenue clicks today than the last 20 years

KJ

But it's probably true they got more clicks today than in years #sarcasm "

Considering that's the main news outlet for all of the teesside area its not just a website its our local paper which covers approx half a million people I don't think a link on a swinging thread with 15ish replies is going to break any visitor records lol

Besides that was literally all your input to this thread.

Considering you believe the state of the pandemic is purely down do rule breaking covidiots i'd have though the possible of sending the army in would have been right up your street

Teesside

"Help me out here, Government plot to achieve WHAT, exactly?

Besides a clear picture of COVID infection rates in Redcar. "

That's the question what's is the aim of this strategy.

To get a true picture of infection across a town? It may also give results on the true number of asymtomatic people as many won't get tested normally.

Interested in other people's opinions to see what other benefits such a strategy may have? Or not?

KJ

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

Have we got enough people left in the Army for this?

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"Help me out here, Government plot to achieve WHAT, exactly?

Besides a clear picture of COVID infection rates in Redcar.

That's the question what's is the aim of this strategy.

To get a true picture of infection across a town? It may also give results on the true number of asymtomatic people as many won't get tested normally.

Interested in other people's opinions to see what other benefits such a strategy may have? Or not?

KJ "

That must be the main aim. Maybe see how track and trace works if they know pretty much who is infected at a particular time.

the wetlands

KJ

Considering that's the main news outlet for all of the teesside area its not just a website its our local paper which covers approx half a million people I don't think a link on a swinging thread with 15ish replies is going to break any visitor records lol

Considering you believe the state of the pandemic is purely down do rule breaking covidiots i'd have though the possible of sending the army in would have been right up your street "

Keep your hair on

KJ

Considering you believe the state of the pandemic is purely down do rule breaking covidiots i'd have though the possible of sending the army in would have been right up your street "

Don't feed the trolls, his only thing in life all day everyday is on here trolling.

Can I ask what's the overall concept, is it to determine the actual spread in the area for use in modelling?.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

It’s now on the BBC, not much except the following

A mass coronavirus testing programme will be rolled out across Redcar in North Yorkshire, with all residents being offered a test whether they have symptoms or not.

Sites will be set up with the help of the Army after the town was chosen for the pilot alongside two others areas

The town's Conservative MP, Jacob Young, backed the move and said testing would begin on 23 November.

He said the tests offered would use saliva samples rather than swabs, with results available within half an hour.

Mr Young told BBC Radio Tees that Redcar had been "picked out of a hat" of similar-sized towns and the government would work alongside the council and the Army to "massively increase testing capacity".

"Ultimately, we're going to get a better understanding of who has Covid and who doesn't," he said.

Teesside

KJ

Considering you believe the state of the pandemic is purely down do rule breaking covidiots i'd have though the possible of sending the army in would have been right up your street

Don't feed the trolls, his only thing in life all day everyday is on here trolling.

Can I ask what's the overall concept, is it to determine the actual spread in the area for use in modelling?. "

I've had a rare day working at home most of today but I'm back in the main office tomorrow so I hope to find out more about the strategic reasons behind it. If I do Ill post

I do believe one of the goals is to try and get a true understanding of what percentage of people are actually asymptomatic.

Some research already suggests it could be as high as 80% asymptomatic.

Imagine if that even higher?

Maybe that data can the further inform how many of the population have may have had covid already? That would then help with assessing how far away the country is from some level of herd immunity?

Just my thoughts

KJ

Sounds like a great experiment, I hope all the people will get tested.

"Sounds like a great experiment, I hope all the people will get tested. "

It will be all who have spare time to visit a test centre.

Teesside

[Removed by poster at 29/10/20 19:45:15]

Teesside

"Sounds like a great experiment, I hope all the people will get tested.

It will be all who have spare time to visit a test centre."

I've been told they hope it will include doorstep rapid tests with max 30 minute results. Also large workplaces will do pre shift tests.

The army is involved man power wise to ensure as many people are reached as is possible.

I've family and friends in Redcar and everyone I've chatted to so far are all up for it and want the test. Especially if its just done on the doorstep.

KJ

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I've been told they hope it will include doorstep rapid tests with max 30 minute results. Also large workplaces will do pre shift tests.

The army is involved man power wise to ensure as many people are reached as is possible.

I've family and friends in Redcar and everyone I've chatted to so far are all up for it and want the test. Especially if its just done on the doorstep.

KJ

"

I think it’s a great idea

North West

KJ

I think it’s a great idea "

It's definitely the way forward

Teesside

KJ

I think it’s a great idea

It's definitely the way forward "

Just spoke to a colleague they aren't planning cold door knocks but are looking at ways to get tests to people's doorsteps for those who are happy with that or can't get out etc.

It seems its all in flux atm and the details are still been thrashed out.

I agree it could yield important data if its done right.

KJ

Leeds

What percentage of people taking the test would they be happy with ?

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I misread the subject as “govt plot” not “govt pilot”!

I’ve just started to assume tinfoil hats in this forum. Apologies for (my) confusion.

Yes, this is a good idea and cannot be anything but a good idea imo.

By *orthern PowerhouseMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Who is to say it won't be compulsory? It wouldn't surprise me if people refusing were hit with 14 days isolation. But then again why would people refuse a test with all that has already happened it makes sense to test everyone no exceptions.

KJ

"

That's good to know that they will come to you.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"Will the squaddies be tooled up?

Jumping out of choppers with their squad leader shouting'GO GO GO!'..? "

No he will be shouting TEST TEST TEST or was that the WHO at the beginning of this in March

Leeds

"why would people refuse a test with all that has already happened it makes sense to test everyone no exceptions. "

Some families can't afford two weeks quarantine with no income and some people's mental health can't cope with two weeks not going outside

"why would people refuse a test with all that has already happened it makes sense to test everyone no exceptions.

Some families can't afford two weeks quarantine with no income and some people's mental health can't cope with two weeks not going outside "

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

If the tests are valid and have had independent review etc, the question must surely be about whether it's the right focus for investment of time and money.

Ee desperately need to get our £12 billions test and trace system working, which is causing thousands of people every week to continue to cause huge volumes of new infections. Fixing this is priority.

Teesside

"If the tests are valid and have had independent review etc, the question must surely be about whether it's the right focus for investment of time and money.

Ee desperately need to get our £12 billions test and trace system working, which is causing thousands of people every week to continue to cause huge volumes of new infections. Fixing this is priority. "

Sadly the government greased the palms of their family and mates with the serco track and trace contracts.

A national track and trace programme isn't enough, the tories hubris in not given track and trace contracts and powers to local authorities (who know there areas intimately) was a mistake from the get go.

It's to late to impact the 2nd wave but a 3rd wave maybe averted if more of the 12 billion you talk of is directed to the right services.

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Council-leaders-call-for-local-track-and-trace-systems/51177

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/11/plans-to-hand-contact-tracing-to-england-local-authorities-come-too-late-covid

KJ

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"If the tests are valid and have had independent review etc, the question must surely be about whether it's the right focus for investment of time and money.

Ee desperately need to get our £12 billions test and trace system working, which is causing thousands of people every week to continue to cause huge volumes of new infections. Fixing this is priority.

Sadly the government greased the palms of their family and mates with the serco track and trace contracts.

A national track and trace programme isn't enough, the tories hubris in not given track and trace contracts and powers to local authorities (who know there areas intimately) was a mistake from the get go.

It's to late to impact the 2nd wave but a 3rd wave maybe averted if more of the 12 billion you talk of is directed to the right services.

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Council-leaders-call-for-local-track-and-trace-systems/51177

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/11/plans-to-hand-contact-tracing-to-england-local-authorities-come-too-late-covid

KJ"

It should have stayed within local government and the NHS, rather than being a massive £12 billions outsourcing ruination of our services. There's £3 - £4 billions on top of this that's unaccounted for too.

By *j48Man  over a year ago

Wigan

Why don't the government and health bodies just accept that it (the virus) transmits exactly like flu... It's unstoppable

Focus needs to be on measures to be in place to attempt to treat people with major issues who've caught it.. That is also impossible. Not enough doctors, nurses nor beds..

It can't nor will be eradicated ever.. Just have to live with the risk.. It's here and no amount of lockdowns, borrowed money or some miraculous vaccine is going to stop it...

People can only die once so unfortunately it'll finish off the most vulnerable over time and then by the fact there are less vulnerable left deaths rates will lower and the critically ill numbers will also decrease..

When numbers are continually relatively low, nobody will bat an eylid.. Just has they haven't with all the other diseases, flus and pneumonia that kill people day in day out

Teesside

KJ

It should have stayed within local government and the NHS, rather than being a massive £12 billions outsourcing ruination of our services. There's £3 - £4 billions on top of this that's unaccounted for too.

"

It's so blatant and corrupt they must be laughing in all our faces.

At the same time they fight Andy Burnham over 5 million, refuse the school meals extention, and drop the 80% furlough with a poor substitute to replace it.

KJ

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

Track and trace is of little use unless people have the right mindset to eradicate the virus. I saw scenes of young people in Nottingham out at pubs on TV, the evening before the local lockdown which was put in place because it's a high risk area seemingly shouting in each others faces as they partied. They are not going to be bothered.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Possible government pilot - The army will covid test every resident of Redcar and also 2 other undisclosed council areas in the UK.

Local news coverage at -

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/we-army-coming-in-council-19182991"

i am so tempted to say test them for what....

i think they should start by counting fingers and toes......

the wetlands

"Possible government pilot - The army will covid test every resident of Redcar and also 2 other undisclosed council areas in the UK.

Local news coverage at -

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/we-army-coming-in-council-19182991

i am so tempted to say test them for what....

i think they should start by counting fingers and toes...... "

Any detectable level of intelligent life ?

Sorry couldn't resist

By *0shadesOfFilthMan  over a year ago

nearby

Angela Merkel (PhD) physics admitted Germany can’t account for 75% transmissions. Uk said track and trace is poor, only 15% of results returned in 24hrs. The government have left it too late now they are in trouble, again, despite having had 6 months to plan and prepare for the second wave the world knew was coming.

» Add a new message to this topic