FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Costco mandatory face shields for those exempt from masks

Costco mandatory face shields for those exempt from masks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *litterbabe OP   Woman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Costco have sent emails out saying that those exempt from wearing a mask must now wear as face shield. As far as I can make out there is no exemption from wearing one or the other.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction so long as it doesn't provide too much distress for those who have a medical need or do not understand the concept of covering their face.

I thought it was and interesting step and I imagine many other places will follow suit.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

yes to us it is a proper step

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

"Costco have sent emails out saying that those exempt from wearing a mask must now wear as face shield. As far as I can make out there is no exemption from wearing one or the other.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction so long as it doesn't provide too much distress for those who have a medical need or do not understand the concept of covering their face.

I thought it was and interesting step and I imagine many other places will follow suit."

Are you saying that those exempt from wearing a mask MUST wear a face shield ?

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away.

hiding from cock pics.

"Costco have sent emails out saying that those exempt from wearing a mask must now wear as face shield. As far as I can make out there is no exemption from wearing one or the other.

I thought it was and interesting step and I imagine many other places will follow suit.

Are you saying that those exempt from wearing a mask MUST wear a face shield ?"

That is how the email seemed to read for me.

It is Costco saying it, of course, not me.

Nottingham

"

I know its them... just wondering how they could make that compulsory.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

This is not actually a positive thing. Shields are designed for a totally different purpose and should only be worn in conjunction with a mask.

Government advice from 4th December:

Face visors or shields:

A face visor or shield may be worn in addition to a face covering but not instead of one. This is because face visors or shields do not adequately cover the nose and mouth.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own#:~:text=A%20face%20visor%20or%20shield,the%20nose%20and%20mouth.

Shields used on their own have been linked with INCREASING Covid spread, as when droplets hit the shield, they are forced out directly downwards and sideways. Switzerland and Germany have confirmed outbreaks linked to the use of shields without masks.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200806-are-face-shields-effective-against-covid-19

hiding from cock pics.

This is copy and pasted from the email.

Face covering requirements with added face shield requirement for exempt members

Effective 23.12.20, we will require all members, guests and employees to wear a face covering (that covers the nose and mouth) at all Costco warehouse locations. Entry to Costco will only be granted to those wearing a face mask or a face shield. Children under the age of 11 are exempt. Please note that the additional requirement to wear a face shield for children over the age of 11 does not affect the requirement in Scotland for children age 5 and over to wear a face covering

Costco has had a face covering policy in effect since 24.04.20, but members who could not wear a face mask due to a medical condition were exempt. This is no longer the case. If a member/guest has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask, they must instead wear a face shield. The use of a face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing. Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises.

Whilst this updated policy may seem inconvenient for some, we believe that the added safety is worth any inconvenience. Our goal is to continue to provide a safe shopping environment for our members and guests, and to provide a safe work environment

for our employees.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Louie Silveira

Vice President and Country Manager

Costco UK & Iceland

By *ownhouseTwosomeCouple  over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"

I suppose as a private business, they can make anything compulsory?

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

There will always be someone who will argue the point

But it’s their shop and their rules I don’t see any problem really but some will make it a problem just to be awkward!

Nottingham

"This is copy and pasted from the email.

Face covering requirements with added face shield requirement for exempt members

Effective 23.12.20, we will require all members, guests and employees to wear a face covering (that covers the nose and mouth) at all Costco warehouse locations. Entry to Costco will only be granted to those wearing a face mask or a face shield. Children under the age of 11 are exempt. Please note that the additional requirement to wear a face shield for children over the age of 11 does not affect the requirement in Scotland for children age 5 and over to wear a face covering

Costco has had a face covering policy in effect since 24.04.20, but members who could not wear a face mask due to a medical condition were exempt. This is no longer the case. If a member/guest has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask, they must instead wear a face shield. The use of a face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing. Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises.

Whilst this updated policy may seem inconvenient for some, we believe that the added safety is worth any inconvenience. Our goal is to continue to provide a safe shopping environment for our members and guests, and to provide a safe work environment

for our employees.

Louie Silveira

Costco UK & Iceland"

Hmmmm interesting.

Face shields are not fit for purpose if worn alone.

The exempt from face masks goes further than not being physically able to wear one , its something covering the face that some cant handle.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"This is copy and pasted from the email.

for our employees.

Louie Silveira

Costco UK & Iceland

Hmmmm interesting.

Face shields are not fit for purpose if worn alone.

The exempt from face masks goes further than not being physically able to wear one , its something covering the face that some cant handle."

North West

I suppose as a private business, they can make anything compulsory? "

They can indeed, but they say it's to make things safer? But shields used on their own are worse than nothing at all - they're actually detrimental to Covid spread. I have no problems with businesses mandating whatever, but it needs to be safe and this is actually the opposite.

Nottingham

"There will always be someone who will argue the point

But it’s their shop and their rules I don’t see any problem really but some will make it a problem just to be awkward!"

I hope that comment isnt aimed at me.

I'm not arguing the point im pointing out that the exemption is for not being physically able to wear a face covering.

Mandatory wearing of a face shield is a face covering. Makes no sense .

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Interesting. I have started to struggle with wearing a mask recently will have to to time my shops at cost co as quite like the concept.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"

Simple, no face covering, no entry.

E

"Interesting. I have started to struggle with wearing a mask recently will have to to time my shops at cost co as quite like the concept. "

Have you tried a different type of mask? I make my own because I can't breathe in the flat types.

I thought it was and interesting step and I imagine many other places will follow suit."

Do they have facilities for ordering online or by phone?

I agree with trying to keep people safe.

I suppose there are other shops people can go to that allow no masks.

hiding from cock pics.

Costco do offer online ordering and delivery although I believe it's not available for every product they stock.

North Bucks

"Interesting. I have started to struggle with wearing a mask recently will have to to time my shops at cost co as quite like the concept.

Have you tried a different type of mask? I make my own because I can't breathe in the flat types. "

Yeah I find the disposable the ones the best but hate the waste. The material ones sit too tight and cause my issues to raise up. Will make do

"Interesting. I have started to struggle with wearing a mask recently will have to to time my shops at cost co as quite like the concept.

Have you tried a different type of mask? I make my own because I can't breathe in the flat types.

Yeah I find the disposable the ones the best but hate the waste. The material ones sit too tight and cause my issues to raise up. Will make do "

My mate recommended the disposable types too.

Search for 'make shaped face mask' - I find that type easier. Made a bit bigger than your face it curves and sticks out and doesn't cling to the face so much. Like a duck bill.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I thought a couple of studies have shown face shields to be completely ineffective?

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

I can fully understand costco's decision. I think it's to stop people pretending to be medically exempt. I've seen so many people not Wearing them, who really could.

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

"I thought a couple of studies have shown face shields to be completely ineffective?"

There are face shields specifically designed for working with food so I guess they have to offer some protection.

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

Yeah I find the disposable the ones the best but hate the waste. The material ones sit too tight and cause my issues to raise up. Will make do "

You don't need your issues raised up.

Seriously though, why is there not a version of the transparent mask that can cope with these issues?

hiding from cock pics.

Yeah I find the disposable the ones the best but hate the waste. The material ones sit too tight and cause my issues to raise up. Will make do

My mate recommended the disposable types too.

Search for 'make shaped face mask' - I find that type easier. Made a bit bigger than your face it curves and sticks out and doesn't cling to the face so much. Like a duck bill. "

I found a few places selling the pleated ones but made out of material, maybe they would work for you?

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

Urrrr just draft, face shields don’t do the same thing.... utter nonsense

"

How about the fact that they're a private company and it's their property? Just a thought.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Seems a good reason to avoid them. I think national standards that everyone understands are much more preferable. The reasons that people don't need to wear masks are diverse and imposing mandatory coverings that don't acknowledge this diversity are disreapectful to many.

Won't renew membership there, if they insist on this

ribble valley

Perhaps, they are just trying their best, to protect their employees. People complain about unsafe employment with places where masks aren't mandatory.

I'm not so how they are going to get away with that.

People are not exempt from wearing a mask they are exempt from wearing a face covering.

A shield is a face covering and unless worn with a mask fairly pointless.

"I can fully understand costco's decision. I think it's to stop people pretending to be medically exempt. I've seen so many people not Wearing them, who really could. "

The nhs should snap you up. With your ability to diagnose just by sight they could save a fortune on scanners.

"I can fully understand costco's decision. I think it's to stop people pretending to be medically exempt. I've seen so many people not Wearing them, who really could. "

Can you please explain to me how you know that that person could wear a mask just by looking at them?

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Yep, seems a nice move for the greater good if you can eliminate a few fakers from their store.

I follow the science, face masks on their own are intuitively probably ineffective although I personally doubt there is conclusive evidence that they make transmission worse, the reference above certainly doesn’t say that,

ribble valley

"I can fully understand costco's decision. I think it's to stop people pretending to be medically exempt. I've seen so many people not Wearing them, who really could.

The nhs should snap you up. With your ability to diagnose just by sight they could save a fortune on scanners."

Are you kidding me! I've even spoke to people who pretend they are exempt, when their not. They have said that in these very forums

"I can fully understand costco's decision. I think it's to stop people pretending to be medically exempt. I've seen so many people not Wearing them, who really could.

Yep, seems a nice move for the greater good if you can eliminate a few fakers from their store.

I follow the science, face masks on their own are intuitively probably ineffective although I personally doubt there is conclusive evidence that they make transmission worse, the reference above certainly doesn’t say that,"

Show to eliminate the few fakers people who genuinely can not wear a face mask are now going to be denied access to services and goods. Absolutely disgusting.

The nhs should snap you up. With your ability to diagnose just by sight they could save a fortune on scanners.

Are you kidding me! I've even spoke to people who pretend they are exempt, when their not. They have said that in these very forums "

Yet another one making assumptions! Would you like to describe what somebody who cannot wear a face covering looks like please?

By *mmixtapeCouple  over a year ago

middle earth

I believe the research said they are completely ineffective if the person wearing has covid, but they are ok at protecting against it. Hence why they are supposed to be worn in conjunction with a normal mask

ribble valley

Are you kidding me! I've even spoke to people who pretend they are exempt, when their not. They have said that in these very forums

Yet another one making assumptions! Would you like to describe what somebody who cannot wear a face covering looks like please?"

It's not an assumption, unless you're claiming this doesn't happen?

Yet another one making assumptions! Would you like to describe what somebody who cannot wear a face covering looks like please?

It's not an assumption, unless you're claiming this doesn't happen? "

So again please can you tell me what a person who cannot wear a face covering looks like because you said you have seen them.

ribble valley

So again please can you tell me what a person who cannot wear a face covering looks like because you said you have seen them."

OK. People who I personally know who tell me this is what they do! They seem to look like everybody else.

So again please can you tell me what a person who cannot wear a face covering looks like because you said you have seen them.

OK. People who I personally know who tell me this is what they do! They seem to look like everybody else. "

Exactly! So I stand by what I said that is in assumption. You have no idea if the person in the supermarket that looks perfectly healthy to you is genuinely medicly exempt or not so this is exactly why people to just keep their distance and then nose out.

ribble valley

OK. People who I personally know who tell me this is what they do! They seem to look like everybody else. "

I've only used this excuse once, to get petrol when I'd forgotten my mask.

westerham

I follow the science, face masks on their own are intuitively probably ineffective although I personally doubt there is conclusive evidence that they make transmission worse, the reference above certainly doesn’t say that,

Show to eliminate the few fakers people who genuinely can not wear a face mask are now going to be denied access to services and goods. Absolutely disgusting."

Not sure how you figure that? Any home (including yours) or business can withdraw a presumed right of access. In fact for years I couldn’t even get a Costco membership so took my business elsewhere, it didn’t particularly upset me.

Or people can wear a visor. No scandal here.

OK. People who I personally know who tell me this is what they do! They seem to look like everybody else.

I've only used this excuse once, to get petrol when I'd forgotten my mask. "

Then you are part of the problem and cause issues for people who are genuinely very vulnerable because the main reason somebody cannot wear a mask is because they have learning difficulties, Severe mental health illness or are on the autism spectrum.

ribble valley

Exactly! So I stand by what I said that is in assumption. You have no idea if the person in the supermarket that looks perfectly healthy to you is genuinely medicly exempt or not so this is exactly why people to just keep their distance and then nose out."

Good thinking! If anyone comes near me, I'll kick off big time if there not wearing a mask!

Show to eliminate the few fakers people who genuinely can not wear a face mask are now going to be denied access to services and goods. Absolutely disgusting.

Not sure how you figure that? Any home (including yours) or business can withdraw a presumed right of access. In fact for years I couldn’t even get a Costco membership so took my business elsewhere, it didn’t particularly upset me.

Or people can wear a visor. No scandal here. "

There are quality and discrimination laws in this country and to refuse somebody entry simply because they cannot and legally have an exemption to wearing a face covering is breaking that law as they are being refused service based on disability.

Exactly! So I stand by what I said that is in assumption. You have no idea if the person in the supermarket that looks perfectly healthy to you is genuinely medicly exempt or not so this is exactly why people to just keep their distance and then nose out.

Good thinking! If anyone comes near me, I'll kick off big time if there not wearing a mask! "

Or you could be a compassionate and decent human being and just remove yourself from the situation.

By *hickennchipsWoman  over a year ago

up above the streets and houses

It’s better than wearing nothing I guess, but not as effective as a mask

"

It's compulsory in a number of test centres already.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

I guess the issue is that its not possible to differentiate between someone who has a genuine exemption and a shithead who just claims to be.

"I guess the issue is that its not possible to differentiate between someone who has a genuine exemption and a shithead who just claims to be.

"

It's just a really unfair situation for those genuinely who cannot wear one for various reasons.

Everyone is tarred with the same brush and it is horrible.

It's compulsory in a number of test centres already. "

No it isn't for example children do not have to wear them at test centres.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"I guess the issue is that its not possible to differentiate between someone who has a genuine exemption and a shithead who just claims to be.

It's just a really unfair situation for those genuinely who cannot wear one for various reasons.

Everyone is tarred with the same brush and it is horrible."

Yes it is unfair.

It's the tedious minority at the root of the problem as always.

By *ilthyboy888Man  over a year ago

Liverpool

exemptions can be a HIDDEN disability ,people can be disabled without you knowing ,deaf , asthma even panic attacks ,its not your business or anyone elses ,thats why we have the disability act of 2010 to stop discrimination of hidden disabilitys

"I can fully understand costco's decision. I think it's to stop people pretending to be medically exempt. I've seen so many people not Wearing them, who really could. exemptions can be a HIDDEN disability ,people can be disabled without you knowing ,deaf , asthma even panic attacks ,its not your business or anyone elses ,thats why we have the disability act of 2010 to stop discrimination of hidden disabilitys "

Exactly and some of the exemptions that are listed are people with severe anxiety, Autism, PTSD and Panic attacks just to name a few. So you can immagine what damage challenging somebody with those conditions could do.

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

"

They can make it compulsory and do it legally, we have a few small shops in our town where masks are now compulsory. It started with one shop owner whose wife is at risk who couldn’t afford to close but was worried about the increased risk to him as a result of customers not wearing masks. He put a sign on the door saying that customers without masks would not be served, explaining why. After a couple of weeks of not having any challenges a number of the surrounding shops have done the same. I think once the precedent is set by a big company like Costco many others will follow.

By *iobhan123Woman  over a year ago

Deal

We have made it mandatory for patients to wear a visor, if mask exempt

"I can fully understand costco's decision. I think it's to stop people pretending to be medically exempt. I've seen so many people not Wearing them, who really could. exemptions can be a HIDDEN disability ,people can be disabled without you knowing ,deaf , asthma even panic attacks ,its not your business or anyone elses ,thats why we have the disability act of 2010 to stop discrimination of hidden disabilitys

Exactly and some of the exemptions that are listed are people with severe anxiety, Autism, PTSD and Panic attacks just to name a few. So you can immagine what damage challenging somebody with those conditions could do."

it would be easier if the exempt wear the green lanyard or carry an official card. as a shop worker it is very frustrating to see groups of mostly tradesmen without masks and when you ask if they need one they all claim immunity. its not uncommon to be sworn at and to be told to mind my own business. its not like its a big ask to wear it for their 20min shop considering I have to wear mine all day whilst lifting 2 or 3 tons of stock.

"We have made it mandatory for patients to wear a visor, if mask exempt"

Except there is no such thing as mask exempt, it is face covering except.

North West

"We have made it mandatory for patients to wear a visor, if mask exempt"

May I ask why, when all the evidence is that a visor used without a mask is likely to contribute to Covid spread, rather than the opposite? Govt advice is that visors are not mask substitutes. Visors are for protecting the wearer's eyes against splashes from droplet generating procedures (ie- protect the healthcare worker from the patient, not the other way around). Germany and Switzerland have documented Covid outbreaks caused by visor wearing without masks

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-swiss-visor/swiss-doctor-pans-plastic-visors-after-covid-19-hits-restaurant-workers-idUKKCN24F25J

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/visors-verdict-they-don-t-work-and-may-actually-spread-coronavirus-1.4375916

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-plastic-visors-could-increase-risk-of-coronavirus-transmission-study-finds-12062704

By *iguy for funMan  over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

There are quality and discrimination laws in this country and to refuse somebody entry simply because they cannot and legally have an exemption to wearing a face covering is breaking that law as they are being refused service based on disability. "

interesting question and i'm not sure i know the answer to this. as previous people have commented they are private property and to a degree have right to refuse entry to whoever they want, as does any other private property that may operate as businesses for example pubs that reserve the right to serve. obviously if you are a business then telling/articulating to people they aren't coming in because they have a disability is one thing. the owner simply saying "you're not coming into my house because i don't like you/want you in" is another. i can see and understand both points.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

A good move others should enforce this.

There are quality and discrimination laws in this country and to refuse somebody entry simply because they cannot and legally have an exemption to wearing a face covering is breaking that law as they are being refused service based on disability.

interesting question and i'm not sure i know the answer to this. as previous people have commented they are private property and to a degree have right to refuse entry to whoever they want, as does any other private property that may operate as businesses for example pubs that reserve the right to serve. obviously if you are a business then telling/articulating to people they aren't coming in because they have a disability is one thing. the owner simply saying "you're not coming into my house because i don't like you/want you in" is another. i can see and understand both points."

Private property or not, The law is very clear if you provide goods or a service you can't refuse those to someone based on disability.

Yes they are private property but They would not be allowed to refuse some service if they where gay or black for example, The discrimination of people with a disability hidden or otherwise is exactly the same.

By *avenTinaCouple  over a year ago

Southport

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away."
if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?

Just wear a F@&@ing mask for gods sake, is it such a problem, how long will you be in the shop?

If I owned a shop you would NOT get in without wearing one !

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?"

Exactly.

Noone ever has the answers to that question they just demonise people the cant wear one.

"Just wear a F@&@ing mask for gods sake, is it such a problem, how long will you be in the shop?

If I owned a shop you would NOT get in without wearing one !"

There is a reason there is an exemption list!

Is that so you can further spread the disease?

I suffer with Asthma and it is not easy for me to breath with a mask on but for the short time I am in a shop I WILL wear a mask and so should every one else.

Please explain why anyone should be exempt because I am at a loss to understand !

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Just wear a F@&@ing mask for gods sake, is it such a problem, how long will you be in the shop?

If I owned a shop you would NOT get in without wearing one !"

My local shop does not enforce it and allways busy it is a discrace

"Is that so you can further spread the disease?

I suffer with Asthma and it is not easy for me to breath with a mask on but for the short time I am in a shop I WILL wear a mask and so should every one else.

Please explain why anyone should be exempt because I am at a loss to understand !"

If you looked it up actually somebody who has asthma is not exempt automatically.

The main people who are exempt are people with autism, Severe mental health illness And learning difficulties so I am not sure why you should be at a loss because everybody should educate themselves on this.

If I owned a shop you would NOT get in without wearing one ! My local shop does not enforce it and allways busy it is a discrace"

Because it is very clear in the government guidelines the only people that can and should enforce this are the police.

Or people can wear a visor. No scandal here. "

but there is disability discrimination, which is illegal, my partner is exempt and also my autistic children, luckily 99% of time im with them, so anybody tuts, they have me to deal with, no one has ever dared say anything to me as they get told to F.O.C when they tut.

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?

Exactly.

Noone ever has the answers to that question they just demonise people the cant wear one."

Because people still wander around without wearing one. We all know that a fart can get through underwear and jeans but it doesn’t stop us from wearing them !

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?

Exactly.

Noone ever has the answers to that question they just demonise people the cant wear one.

Because people still wander around without wearing one. We all know that a fart can get through underwear and jeans but it doesn’t stop us from wearing them !"

You are showing a lot of a ignorance here and if you actually went had a look at the very small list of exemption you would understand why.

Educate me please, where can I find the said list ?

By *oasted cheese sandwichMan  over a year ago

Nearby

Could just have a 'mask exempt' time for those who cant wear them, then enforce for the rest of the day.

Problem solved , easy

"Could just have a 'mask exempt' time for those who cant wear them, then enforce for the rest of the day.

Problem solved , easy"

I have been saying this for months and it would solve a lot of anxiety on both sides.

"Educate me please, where can I find the said list ?"

It's a little known website called gov.uk!

It is also Asthma UK, The nhs And many other well known and official websites.

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

Good thinking!

If anyone comes near me, I'll kick off big time if there not wearing a mask! "

I just avoid none coverers like the plague in shops.

So as I said, I suffer from Asthma, but for the short time I am in the shop /supermarket I wear a mask ....... Do I make a reasonable case ?

And what about those who refuse to wear a mask declaring it is against their civil rights, where are we then ?

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?"
Well one reason could be cos of the flu/cold season have started.

"So as I said, I suffer from Asthma, but for the short time I am in the shop /supermarket I wear a mask ....... Do I make a reasonable case ?

And what about those who refuse to wear a mask declaring it is against their civil rights, where are we then ?

"

You have been given information, You have been given websites to look at, If you choose not to educate yourself that's on you but then you really shouldn't have an opinion if you are not going to find out the information.

Also as previously stated asthma is not a reason on its own to be exempt unless told by your medical professionals not to wear one.

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?Well one reason could be cos of the flu/cold season have started."

But covid is not the cold or flu.

So are you saying that if someone was to wear a mask they would suffocate collapse and die ?

How ridiculous would that be ?

A mask, at best, would help prevent germs invading ones mouth, so how would not wearing one be better for ones health ?

You are not convincing me with your argument !

By *avenTinaCouple  over a year ago

Southport

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?Well one reason could be cos of the flu/cold season have started."
flu, colds and covid didn’t realise they were the same

North West

"So are you saying that if someone was to wear a mask they would suffocate collapse and die ?

How ridiculous would that be ?

A mask, at best, would help prevent germs invading ones mouth, so how would not wearing one be better for ones health ?

You are not convincing me with your argument !"

Masks are not designed to stop germs invading ones mouth. They're to reduce the number of germs you, the wearer, splatter into the surroundings. All the germs that can get into the body via the mouth can also enter via the eye and so any droplets that do make it out are able to enter another person via the eye (which the mask doesn't cover). That's why medics wear fully fitted safety goggles when working with possible or confirmed Covid cases (as well as a single use mask).

quite funny I've been working at a busy shopping centre asking people to wear masks.. if they exempt i give them a sticker.. funny when they say I've got asthma.. i often say.. well id be really careful in here without a mask..

But is rather have a lie than woman who just said so its my choice and stormed in and im not allowed to lay hands on them

d

All the more reason for everyone to wear a mask!!!!!!!!

I rest my case .

[Removed by poster at 23/12/20 00:34:35]

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?Well one reason could be cos of the flu/cold season have started.flu, colds and covid didn’t realise they were the same "
Yes almost the same they are.

North West

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?Well one reason could be cos of the flu/cold season have started.flu, colds and covid didn’t realise they were the same Yes almost the same they are."

Absolutely incorrect

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?Well one reason could be cos of the flu/cold season have started.flu, colds and covid didn’t realise they were the same Yes almost the same they are.

Absolutely incorrect "

They are abit diffeent, covid and the flu share a lot of the same symptoms.

North West

"That is good, just cos someone is exempt, doesnt mean that they are exempt from the virus, so it is a catch 22 in away. if wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading why is the infection rate increasing?Well one reason could be cos of the flu/cold season have started.flu, colds and covid didn’t realise they were the same Yes almost the same they are.

Absolutely incorrect They are abit diffeent, covid and the flu share a lot of the same symptoms."

Not really. Covid has a potential impact on every body system, but especially the cardiovascular system. Flu is almost exclusively respiratory. Every systemic disease that causes an immune response causes the generic symptoms of temperature. These are non specific symptoms. In terms of the causal agents, flu and Covid are entirely different and have very different impacts on the body.

Absolutely incorrect They are abit diffeent, covid and the flu share a lot of the same symptoms.

Not really. Covid has a potential impact on every body system, but especially the cardiovascular system. Flu is almost exclusively respiratory. Every systemic disease that causes an immune response causes the generic symptoms of temperature. These are non specific symptoms. In terms of the causal agents, flu and Covid are entirely different and have very different impacts on the body."

We have to agree and disagree on this one.

By *ookMan  over a year ago

london

Just wear a f@c ki n g mask! ( or visor) Even if your exempt!!! Why wouldn’t you??? Protect others from you and yourself from others... if you were in a plane and oxygen masks dropped would you refuse to put the mask on because of underlying medical condition/excuse? ... no I don’t think so. It’s more important than ever now so make it law... and no it’s unbelievably actually not mandatory!

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Just wear a f@c ki n g mask! ( or visor) Even if your exempt!!! Why wouldn’t you??? Protect others from you and yourself from others... if you were in a plane and oxygen masks dropped would you refuse to put the mask on because of underlying medical condition/excuse? ... no I don’t think so. It’s more important than ever now so make it law... and no it’s unbelievably actually not mandatory! "

Exactly this!

It has been proved that wearing a mask does not restrict the oxygen that you need to breath even though some keep sighting this.

Personally if I was running a shop then it would be a mask only policy full stop!

For every person with a genuine medical condition who struggles to wear a mask there is someone who just won't wear one because they're a selfish ignorant prick. I don't think anyone on here is being unsympathetic towards those with genuine medical issues but we all know there are LOTS who fall into the other category and we shouldn't be expected to turn a blind eye because it's seen as "sticking your nose in".

westerham

interesting question and i'm not sure i know the answer to this. as previous people have commented they are private property and to a degree have right to refuse entry to whoever they want, as does any other private property that may operate as businesses for example pubs that reserve the right to serve. obviously if you are a business then telling/articulating to people they aren't coming in because they have a disability is one thing. the owner simply saying "you're not coming into my house because i don't like you/want you in" is another. i can see and understand both points.

Private property or not, The law is very clear if you provide goods or a service you can't refuse those to someone based on disability.

Yes they are private property but They would not be allowed to refuse some service if they where gay or black for example, The discrimination of people with a disability hidden or otherwise is exactly the same."

Disability discrimination law is written very much in terms of “reasonable provision”. The obvious example would be an old church or museum that can’t provide wheelchair access without ripping out 500 years of history.

If for example Costco has assessed the situation and found that 20% of customers aren’t wearing a mask, whereas the number of people who should be medically exempt is only 5%, then they will argue it reasonable “greater good” to mandate face coverings for everyone, or no entry.

They will be attempting to balance health and safety provision (not exposing them to unnecessary risk) for all mask wearing customers versus reasonable provision to avoid disability discrimination.

Ultimately a judge would need to decide, but I’d bet strongly Costco are in the right here.

london

"For every person with a genuine medical condition who struggles to wear a mask there is someone who just won't wear one because they're a selfish ignorant prick. I don't think anyone on here is being unsympathetic towards those with genuine medical issues but we all know there are LOTS who fall into the other category and we shouldn't be expected to turn a blind eye because it's seen as "sticking your nose in"."

Sorry I am unsympathetic... if you can’t wear a mask wear a visor! No excuses. No confusion and no arguments if everyone masks up washes hands, removes thumb up bum and takes mind out of neutral...

By *ilthyboy888Man  over a year ago

Liverpool

If your so caring about peoples health ,why do you not care about peoples disability exemtions . Your only caring about you an your fears of catching something .so much so that you dont care about other peoples excuses

North West

"For every person with a genuine medical condition who struggles to wear a mask there is someone who just won't wear one because they're a selfish ignorant prick. I don't think anyone on here is being unsympathetic towards those with genuine medical issues but we all know there are LOTS who fall into the other category and we shouldn't be expected to turn a blind eye because it's seen as "sticking your nose in".

Sorry I am unsympathetic... if you can’t wear a mask wear a visor! No excuses. No confusion and no arguments if everyone masks up washes hands, removes thumb up bum and takes mind out of neutral... "

But visors alone are worse than nothing at all. Govt. advice is that visors are not a mask substitute. I posted multiple links earlier in this thread to this effect.

Due to my wife being Asmara sufferer she will wear a mask but doesn't have she now wears a face shield instead when she has go to doctors or dentist sometimes shopping but I won't let her out now not until it's all safe so I do all the shopping now

london

Sorry but a mask prevents spittle... spittle spreads the disease with the new variant spreading much faster... I don’t care about excuses indeed as a visor does not limit breathing! My 89 Mum wears one and she’s just had surgery for breathing so no fucking excuses! If your exempt for whatever reason to wearing over mouth mask then wear a visor... if it’s 50 pc effective then that’s better than nothing isn’t it... ? Also stops people from thinking your a totally selfish fuckwit for not wearing one. Can’t really argue with that can you...but sure some will and then bitch and moan when it gets much much worse.

North West

"Sorry but a mask prevents spittle... spittle spreads the disease with the new variant spreading much faster... I don’t care about excuses indeed as a visor does not limit breathing! My 89 Mum wears one and she’s just had surgery for breathing so no fucking excuses! If your exempt for whatever reason to wearing over mouth mask then wear a visor... if it’s 50 pc effective then that’s better than nothing isn’t it... ? Also stops people from thinking your a totally selfish fuckwit for not wearing one. Can’t really argue with that can you...but sure some will and then bitch and moan when it gets much much worse. "

Excuse me, you rude individual. I wear a mask. But the simple facts are that visors are not mask substitutes. No amount of swearing and calling people fuckwits is going to change that. Covid outbreaks in hospitality venues in Switzerland and Germany were identified as caused by waiters wearing visors only. The only customers infected were the ones served by visor wearers vs no infected customers served by mask wearers.

The science is simple. Wear a mask. Wear a visitor plus a mask. But do not wear a visor on it's own.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200806-are-face-shields-effective-against-covid-19

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

To quote from the link above:

"Face visors or shields

A face visor or shield may be worn in addition to a face covering but not instead of one. This is because face visors or shields do not adequately cover the nose and mouth."

By *anarkshirelassCouple  over a year ago

lanarkshire

"Just wear a f@c ki n g mask! ( or visor) Even if your exempt!!! Why wouldn’t you??? Protect others from you and yourself from others... if you were in a plane and oxygen masks dropped would you refuse to put the mask on because of underlying medical condition/excuse? ... no I don’t think so. It’s more important than ever now so make it law... and no it’s unbelievably actually not mandatory! "

A very simple but excellent example.

North West

"Just wear a f@c ki n g mask! ( or visor) Even if your exempt!!! Why wouldn’t you??? Protect others from you and yourself from others... if you were in a plane and oxygen masks dropped would you refuse to put the mask on because of underlying medical condition/excuse? ... no I don’t think so. It’s more important than ever now so make it law... and no it’s unbelievably actually not mandatory!

A very simple but excellent example. "

Yes, a piece of cloth placed over the nose and mouth is identical to a hollow plastic device that feeds a direct flow of oxygen in a dire emergency (life and death). Absolutely the same thing

westerham

"Sorry but a mask prevents spittle... spittle spreads the disease with the new variant spreading much faster... I don’t care about excuses indeed as a visor does not limit breathing! My 89 Mum wears one and she’s just had surgery for breathing so no fucking excuses! If your exempt for whatever reason to wearing over mouth mask then wear a visor... if it’s 50 pc effective then that’s better than nothing isn’t it... ? Also stops people from thinking your a totally selfish fuckwit for not wearing one. Can’t really argue with that can you...but sure some will and then bitch and moan when it gets much much worse.

Excuse me, you rude individual. I wear a mask. But the simple facts are that visors are not mask substitutes. No amount of swearing and calling people fuckwits is going to change that. Covid outbreaks in hospitality venues in Switzerland and Germany were identified as caused by waiters wearing visors only. The only customers infected were the ones served by visor wearers vs no infected customers served by mask wearers.

The science is simple. Wear a mask. Wear a visitor plus a mask. But do not wear a visor on it's own.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

"Face visors or shields

A face visor or shield may be worn in addition to a face covering but not instead of one. This is because face visors or shields do not adequately cover the nose and mouth.""

The science is far from simple or conclusive re visors versus masks

Worth reading this meta study:

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/infectionpreventionandcontrolguidance/ppe/useoffacemasksbythegeneralpublic/Current%20evidence%20on%20the%20use%20of%20face%20coverings.pdf

With reference to waiters, this extract is relevant:

“Using an optical technique to visualise airflow density, they found that while both masks and visors reduced front flow of air with coughing by more than 90%, visors produce significantly more

intense leakage jets laterally and inferiorly compared to masks. This is a significant hazard in situations where the wearer is standing near a seated person, and would suggest that visors are less effective than masks at limiting spread of droplets contained in exhaled air. The authors advised that visors should be curved below the chin to prevent significant downward flow and risk of viral transmission.”

In retail environments, you are NOT generally standing over a seated person.

This meta study identified considerable evidence that visors reduced transmission BUT not as well as close fitting masks.

North West

"Sorry but a mask prevents spittle... spittle spreads the disease with the new variant spreading much faster... I don’t care about excuses indeed as a visor does not limit breathing! My 89 Mum wears one and she’s just had surgery for breathing so no fucking excuses! If your exempt for whatever reason to wearing over mouth mask then wear a visor... if it’s 50 pc effective then that’s better than nothing isn’t it... ? Also stops people from thinking your a totally selfish fuckwit for not wearing one. Can’t really argue with that can you...but sure some will and then bitch and moan when it gets much much worse.

"Face visors or shields

A face visor or shield may be worn in addition to a face covering but not instead of one. This is because face visors or shields do not adequately cover the nose and mouth."

The science is far from simple or conclusive re visors versus masks

Worth reading this meta study:

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/infectionpreventionandcontrolguidance/ppe/useoffacemasksbythegeneralpublic/Current%20evidence%20on%20the%20use%20of%20face%20coverings.pdf

With reference to waiters, this extract is relevant:

“Using an optical technique to visualise airflow density, they found that while both masks and visors reduced front flow of air with coughing by more than 90%, visors produce significantly more

intense leakage jets laterally and inferiorly compared to masks. This is a significant hazard in situations where the wearer is standing near a seated person, and would suggest that visors are less effective than masks at limiting spread of droplets contained in exhaled air. The authors advised that visors should be curved below the chin to prevent significant downward flow and risk of viral transmission.”

In retail environments, you are NOT generally standing over a seated person.

This meta study identified considerable evidence that visors reduced transmission BUT not as well as close fitting masks. "

The conclusions from the literature reviews there are that cloth masks are superior to visors in all studies and points out multiple flaws in extrapolating many of the visor studies into the real world.

There's no doubt that visors provide protection to the WEARER against droplets striking the eyes etc - that's why healthcare workers wear them for aerosol/droplet generating procedures. However, cloth masks/face coverings were not recommended by the Govt to protect the wearer. The idea is to reduce transmission of viral laden droplets from the wearer to the people around them. None of the studies cited in that document suggest visors are useful for reducing transmission from the wearer and in fact suggest a detriment (especially when at differing heights).

In the conclusion, it states:

"Where visors are used they should cover the entire face (above the eyes to below the chin and wrap around from ear to ear) and be correctly applied."

Have you seen the visors being worn by members of the public? I've never seen one that meets these specifications. Most of them are a wobbly sheet of acetate, stuck into a bendy headband. They're next to useless.

london

Oh dear.... apologies for swearing but needs must sometimes. I’m not going to argue about masks verses visors... they both do same thing.... ideally wear both ( as doctors and nurses do) and this rude individual suggests that we all need to wear one or both if you prefer...I think nearly everyone would agree. It should be law end of and hopefully will. To the older festively dressed exempt experts stay well and have a lovely Christmas.

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

That shows me that Cost Co do not understand how covid-19 spreads and the entering Cost Co is potentially walking into a dangerous environment.

A face shield does not stop any but a few respiratory droplets from escaping the confines of the shield. If the person is standing close to unwrapped fruit, meat or vegetables the droplets could be directed downwards on to them. A shield could also direct the droplets rearwards to a person approaching from behind.

By *erdy NancyWoman  over a year ago

East Devon

At least can buy biodegradable ones now!

North West

"Oh dear.... apologies for swearing but needs must sometimes. I’m not going to argue about masks verses visors... they both do same thing.... ideally wear both ( as doctors and nurses do) and this rude individual suggests that we all need to wear one or both if you prefer...I think nearly everyone would agree. It should be law end of and hopefully will. To the older festively dressed exempt experts stay well and have a lovely Christmas. "

1) Masks and visors do not do the same thing.

2) If you're referring to me as older, exempt and festively dressed, one of those is true. Yes, I'm wearing a Santa suit. Otherwise, I'm 35 (not old) and wear a mask every time I go to the shops etc. I am not exempt.

3) It is law to wear a face covering in indoor public places, unless you are exempt. The law and associated guidance is here (I already shared twice on this thread): https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

Not being exempt (or being exempt) does not change that visors are unsuitable as mask substitutes.

"Oh dear.... apologies for swearing but needs must sometimes. I’m not going to argue about masks verses visors... they both do same thing.... ideally wear both ( as doctors and nurses do) and this rude individual suggests that we all need to wear one or both if you prefer...I think nearly everyone would agree. It should be law end of and hopefully will. To the older festively dressed exempt experts stay well and have a lovely Christmas. "

The person you are referring to is actually younger than you so I am not sure who you are calling old.

By *om and LisaCouple  over a year ago

gateshead

There's a guy around our way has made a bit of a name for himself.

He's a gamer/streamer and sits for hours with an Xbox headset on.

Claims autism to avoid wearing a mask.

Bunch of cunts if you ask me.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Nice. Their shop, their staff, their rules.

Bham

That shows me that Cost Co do not understand how covid-19 spreads and the entering Cost Co is potentially walking into a dangerous environment.

A face shield does not stop any but a few respiratory droplets from escaping the confines of the shield. If the person is standing close to unwrapped fruit, meat or vegetables the droplets could be directed downwards on to them. A shield could also direct the droplets rearwards to a person approaching from behind.

"

If the person was medically exempt, they wouldn't be wearing a face mask anyway, so those few droplets would be free to land wherever. At least they'd be caught with a visor. Masks reduce not eliminate spread, so a visor while not as effective as a mask would be preferential over nothing.

"

They can indeed, but they say it's to make things safer? But shields used on their own are worse than nothing at all - they're actually detrimental to Covid spread. I have no problems with businesses mandating whatever, but it needs to be safe and this is actually the opposite."

say at the moment 50/50 are in masks or not... and a big number of the nots are claiming exemption because they just cant be arsed wearing one (we’ve all witnessed folk around us in the shops, sniggering to security at the door about their asthma exemption knowing fine well its just because they cant be challenged)

so now those folk have 2 choices mask or visor, the masks are cheaper, smaller, more readily available so more convenient and they will probably just stick a mask on , the folk who genuinely cant wear the mask will have to wear a visor or shop elsewhere

so now maybe costco has gone from 50% masks / 50% nothing to 90% masks / 10% visors ... which is less safe?

until they know the uptake of masks and visors and do the research you really cant know that statistically they are making it less safe

Bham

"

They can indeed, but they say it's to make things safer? But shields used on their own are worse than nothing at all - they're actually detrimental to Covid spread. I have no problems with businesses mandating whatever, but it needs to be safe and this is actually the opposite.

say at the moment 50/50 are in masks or not... and a big number of the nots are claiming exemption because they just cant be arsed wearing one (we’ve all witnessed folk around us in the shops, sniggering to security at the door about their asthma exemption knowing fine well its just because they cant be challenged)

so now those folk have 2 choices mask or visor, the masks are cheaper, smaller, more readily available so more convenient and they will probably just stick a mask on , the folk who genuinely cant wear the mask will have to wear a visor or shop elsewhere

so now maybe costco has gone from 50% masks / 50% nothing to 90% masks / 10% visors ... which is less safe?

until they know the uptake of masks and visors and do the research you really cant know that statistically they are making it less safe "

Great points.

If the person was medically exempt, they wouldn't be wearing a face mask anyway, so those few droplets would be free to land wherever. At least they'd be caught with a visor. Masks reduce not eliminate spread, so a visor while not as effective as a mask would be preferential over nothing. "

agreed ... visors are not creating droplets that didnt already exist from non mask wearers so at worst they do nothing but they cant be more dangerous

If the person was medically exempt, they wouldn't be wearing a face mask anyway, so those few droplets would be free to land wherever. At least they'd be caught with a visor. Masks reduce not eliminate spread, so a visor while not as effective as a mask would be preferential over nothing. "

I don't know what people don't understand it is not mask exempt it his face covering exempt.

There are many complex reasons that are not normally obvious as to why somebody could not wear mask or visor!

"There's a guy around our way has made a bit of a name for himself.

He's a gamer/streamer and sits for hours with an Xbox headset on.

Claims autism to avoid wearing a mask.

Bunch of cunts if you ask me. "

And can you please tell me how you can be so sure he doesn't have autism?

Bham

If the person was medically exempt, they wouldn't be wearing a face mask anyway, so those few droplets would be free to land wherever. At least they'd be caught with a visor. Masks reduce not eliminate spread, so a visor while not as effective as a mask would be preferential over nothing.

I don't know what people don't understand it is not mask exempt it his face covering exempt.

There are many complex reasons that are not normally obvious as to why somebody could not wear mask or visor!

"

They should wear a sunflower lanyard then. There might be some deep seated psychological trauma that prevents them from wearing a mask, the people I see are usually geezer geezer blokes. Probably those who deny Covid and think they'll easily beat it.

And a visor is basically a big pair of glasses, I'll bet they'll wear a pair of sunglasses in the summer.

They should wear a sunflower lanyard then. There might be some deep seated psychological trauma that prevents them from wearing a mask, the people I see are usually geezer geezer blokes. Probably those who deny Covid and think they'll easily beat it.

And a visor is basically a big pair of glasses, I'll bet they'll wear a pair of sunglasses in the summer. "

That is an awful comment.

I think you need to educate yourself on the reasons as to why somebody is exempt from wearing a mask all the information is available on the government website.

People do where Langyards but they still get abuse, Unfortunately it is attitudes like this that cause people that are exceptionally vulnerable and already marginalised to feel even more so.

You only need to look at some of the disgusting comments and attitudes about people that have disabilities either ones that you feel are valid or not.

Unfortunately this virus has brought out the very worst in so many.

Bham

And a visor is basically a big pair of glasses, I'll bet they'll wear a pair of sunglasses in the summer.

I think you need to educate yourself on the reasons as to why somebody is exempt from wearing a mask all the information is available on the government website.

People do where Langyards but they still get abuse, Unfortunately it is attitudes like this that cause people that are exceptionally vulnerable and already marginalised to feel even more so.

You only need to look at some of the disgusting comments and attitudes about people that have disabilities either ones that you feel are valid or not.

Unfortunately this virus has brought out the very worst in so many."

You're still not getting my point. The people that I see are not vulnerable. I am clinically extremely vulnerable, I would qualify to be exempt from wearing a mask, but I wear one because it is for the good of myself and others. The people I have seen, without a mask, have not been wearing lanyards, they are groups of lads, 20 something's in the alcohol aisle, buying up a lot of booze, all without any masks.

If it is one person in a group, and everybody else is wearing a mask, or a person on their own, it's understandable and they may have a valid reason for not wearing one.

If it's a whole group not wearing one, the statistical chances of them all having a phycological post-traumic reason for not wearing a face covering is very slim.

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

If it’s a problem then don’t go to Costco

Simples

By *xtrafun4youMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

This is a good idea. But I do think face makes are good. Semi hides your identity. A leaves a odd secret thing for kinkyness.

By *inkySeeKinkyDoWoman  over a year ago

'tween PontyCarlo & CasVegas in West Yorks

Frontline NHS workers wear them day in day out for hours on end.

Some of them are on the autism spectrum. Some of them have disabilities. Some of them suffer with anxiety. Some of them have PTSD.

They dont have a choice in the matter and do it to protect you.

The very least we can do is return the favour for an hour in a shop to protect the other human beings who stock the shelves, serve us at tills, and also risk their own and their families safety for us.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Frontline NHS workers wear them day in day out for hours on end.

Some of them are on the autism spectrum. Some of them have disabilities. Some of them suffer with anxiety. Some of them have PTSD.

The very least we can do is return the favour for an hour in a shop to protect the other human beings who stock the shelves, serve us at tills, and also risk their own and their families safety for us."

This!

ribble valley

"Frontline NHS workers wear them day in day out for hours on end.

The very least we can do is return the favour for an hour in a shop to protect the other human beings who stock the shelves, serve us at tills, and also risk their own and their families safety for us."

Absolutely spot on. A lot of people forget this.

North Bucks

I have autism. I wear a mask and have done since the requirement to do so.

Sometimes especially with other factors going on around me I get to my absolute limit with the mask and one day will remove it in order to stop me having a bigger issue I will then revert to a lanyard. If that makes me a “c*nt” so be it.

I don’t have to explain how it makes me feel but try and imagine a constant feeling on the edge of panic and temper boiling away inside you.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"I have autism. I wear a mask and have done since the requirement to do so.

Sometimes especially with other factors going on around me I get to my absolute limit with the mask and one day will remove it in order to stop me having a bigger issue I will then revert to a lanyard. If that makes me a “c*nt” so be it.

I don’t have to explain how it makes me feel but try and imagine a constant feeling on the edge of panic and temper boiling away inside you.

"

U must do what is best for u! Take care xx

Like others are saying I understand where Costco are coming from. They're trying to do the 'right thing' or at least be perceived to be doing that. And that's understandable. However, under the law which is written very clearly and succinctly on Gov.UK they cannot enforce this, merely request, so the email/letter they have sent out can disregarded by their customers should they wish to do so.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

U must do what is best for u! Take care xx"

I thought the take home message from the virus forum is that you have to do what's best for others, doing what's best for you is behaving selfishly.

Bham

"Like others are saying I understand where Costco are coming from. They're trying to do the 'right thing' or at least be perceived to be doing that. And that's understandable. However, under the law which is written very clearly and succinctly on Gov.UK they cannot enforce this, merely request, so the email/letter they have sent out can disregarded by their customers should they wish to do so. "

It's their shop, they can choose who they let in and who they don't let in and serve. So they can enforce it.

Also Premises where face coverings are required should take reasonable steps to promote compliance with the law.

The police can take measures if members of the public do not comply with this law without a valid exemption

Unfortunately this virus has brought out the very worst in so many.

You're still not getting my point. The people that I see are not vulnerable. I am clinically extremely vulnerable, I would qualify to be exempt from wearing a mask, but I wear one because it is for the good of myself and others. The people I have seen, without a mask, have not been wearing lanyards, they are groups of lads, 20 something's in the alcohol aisle, buying up a lot of booze, all without any masks.

If it is one person in a group, and everybody else is wearing a mask, or a person on their own, it's understandable and they may have a valid reason for not wearing one.

If it's a whole group not wearing one, the statistical chances of them all having a phycological post-traumic reason for not wearing a face covering is very slim. "

this

i get where you are coming from lorna jo but for every person being marginalised for not wearing a mask for a legitimate reason, there are 15 covidiots that just cant be arsed with one or are trying to prove a point about how they cant be controlled ... its not the legitimate folk this is aimed at but they will end up penalised by it

ashford

U must do what is best for u! Take care xx

I thought the take home message from the virus forum is that you have to do what's best for others, doing what's best for you is behaving selfishly."

Sick of all that! People will say whatever they think people want to hear on here but in reality what they do who knows? And yes in this instance he must do what is best for him!! X

By *ensual massagerMan  over a year ago

Bolton

The nhs should snap you up. With your ability to diagnose just by sight they could save a fortune on scanners."

You're absolutely right. Why waste millions on scanners and doctors when there are people about who can diagnose whether or not you are falsely claiming to be exempt whether they are or not

Actually I am exempt don't make an assertion

Ridiculous.

ashford

"Actually I am exempt don't make an assertion "

Unfortunately people make all kinds of assertions! Those in glass houses and all that! Some even bully here! X

Ridiculous.

"

Why is it ridiculous? They have a duty of care to protect their staff and customers. The rat lickers are making up excuses not to wear them. The other thing is; if you have a condition that makes wearing a mask impossible; should you really be out bulk shopping in Costco.

Ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? They have a duty of care to protect their staff and customers. The rat lickers are making up excuses not to wear them. The other thing is; if you have a condition that makes wearing a mask impossible; should you really be out bulk shopping in Costco.

"

Protect them from what? The off chance someone might be carrying a bug inside them? Are you proposing taking away all freedom on the off chance something

might happen?

Bolton

I'm a member of Costco as is a couple of friends and none of us have received any mail from Costco. Perhaps it's targeted at certain people

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

"I'm a member of Costco as is a couple of friends and none of us have received any mail from Costco. Perhaps it's targeted at certain people "

I’m not sure what the inference in your post is getting at but I have received the email from Costco and I wear a mask.

Ridiculous.

Protect them from what? The off chance someone might be carrying a bug inside them? Are you proposing taking away all freedom on the off chance something

might happen?"

The decision would have been made following a risk assessment. Risk assessments are based on what might happen

As for personal freedom; it’s not being taken from us. Brexit will take more freedoms from us and they will be permanent

North West

agreed ... visors are not creating droplets that didnt already exist from non mask wearers so at worst they do nothing but they cant be more dangerous "

It's the fact visors concentrate the stream of droplets eg from speaking, into a downward and sideways stream. It's the funnelling effect that's dangerous.

By *he shaggersCouple  over a year ago

vancouver island

They will just refuse admission

hiding from cock pics.

"I'm a member of Costco as is a couple of friends and none of us have received any mail from Costco. Perhaps it's targeted at certain people "

It is clearly stated as an update on their website additionally, which of course applies to everybody whether they received an email or not.

If you arrive and and do not want to wear a mask, claiming you didn't receive your or your friends email, I feel they will stick to their policy and not admit you entrance.

According to the papers though, the email was sent out to every member, maybe it went into your spam file?

Bolton

"I'm a member of Costco as is a couple of friends and none of us have received any mail from Costco. Perhaps it's targeted at certain people

I’m not sure what the inference in your post is getting at but I have received the email from Costco and I wear a mask."

I made a statement not an inference. Read it again. I made no inference whatsoever.

Bolton

Ridiculous.

might happen?

The decision would have been made following a risk assessment. Risk assessments are based on what might happen

As for personal freedom; it’s not being taken from us. Brexit will take more freedoms from us and they will be permanent "

Ah, now the Brexit argument. Very apt

Bolton

"I'm a member of Costco as is a couple of friends and none of us have received any mail from Costco. Perhaps it's targeted at certain people

It is clearly stated as an update on their website additionally, which of course applies to everybody whether they received an email or not.

If you arrive and and do not want to wear a mask, claiming you didn't receive your or your friends email, I feel they will stick to their policy and not admit you entrance.

According to the papers though, the email was sent out to every member, maybe it went into your spam file?"

Ah, 6 members into spam folder?

I have NEVER said that I would go ANYWHERE not wearing a mask or face covering. You're making an assumption by my statement

ashford

Ridiculous.

might happen?

As for personal freedom; it’s not being taken from us. Brexit will take more freedoms from us and they will be permanent

Ah, now the Brexit argument. Very apt"

But very true? X

[Removed by poster at 24/12/20 11:01:14]

"Actually I am exempt don't make an assertion "

sure ye are

Bolton

"I can fully understand costco's decision. I think it's to stop people pretending to be medically exempt. I've seen so many people not Wearing them, who really could. exemptions can be a HIDDEN disability ,people can be disabled without you knowing ,deaf , asthma even panic attacks ,its not your business or anyone elses ,thats why we have the disability act of 2010 to stop discrimination of hidden disabilitys

Exactly and some of the exemptions that are listed are people with severe anxiety, Autism, PTSD and Panic attacks just to name a few. So you can immagine what damage challenging somebody with those conditions could do.

it would be easier if the exempt wear the green lanyard or carry an official card. as a shop worker it is very frustrating to see groups of mostly tradesmen without masks and when you ask if they need one they all claim immunity. its not uncommon to be sworn at and to be told to mind my own business. its not like its a big ask to wear it for their 20min shop considering I have to wear mine all day whilst lifting 2 or 3 tons of stock."

A lot of people with disabilities do not want to openly display the fact that they are. It coukd add to their anxiety. Some may be happy to wear a lanyard or card but I know a few who definitely don't want an open display of their disability.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was vilified for parking in a disabled day at a supermarket. He had had 4 heart attacks and was entitled to display his blue badge but one guy thought he looked OK and had a right go at him.

I've been into many places and seen people not wearing masks but it's not up to me to question why. I comply with the law and so do the majority. It's the ones who have a mask under their chin or letting their nose be out that are worse. They're obviously not exempt unless stupidity qualifies

Bolton

Ridiculous.

might happen?

But very true? X"

Hardly. Depending which side of the Brexit side you're on.

Let's hope it is permanent

Actually I am exempt don't make an assertion

ashford

According to the papers though, the email was sent out to every member, maybe it went into your spam file?

Ah, 6 members into spam folder?

I have NEVER said that I would go ANYWHERE not wearing a mask or face covering. You're making an assumption by my statement "

Happens all time in here people make assumptions! I wear mine every dam 7 hr shift I do in supermarket and if I go anywhere I need one! I not meeting! But as to what I think about all this is another matter! U really are not allowed any other opinion other than the majority here! So I keep them to myself! Been berated and bullied here all to often! And yes I know covid is real! My eldest daughter had it and was quite Ill but as to what's going on on the back of covid I think is something else imo! I'm allowed an a opinion b 4 u all jump! Lmao! X

Ridiculous.

might happen?

Ah, now the Brexit argument. Very apt"

The Brexit Bill allows for Workers amd Human rights protected under EU law to be removed.

But you would have known that when you made the comment

ashford

Ridiculous.

might happen?

The Brexit Bill allows for Workers amd Human rights protected under EU law to be removed.

But you would have known that when you made the comment "

Yes sadly this true x

it would be easier if the exempt wear the green lanyard or carry an official card. as a shop worker it is very frustrating to see groups of mostly tradesmen without masks and when you ask if they need one they all claim immunity. its not uncommon to be sworn at and to be told to mind my own business. its not like its a big ask to wear it for their 20min shop considering I have to wear mine all day whilst lifting 2 or 3 tons of stock.

A lot of people with disabilities do not want to openly display the fact that they are. It coukd add to their anxiety. Some may be happy to wear a lanyard or card but I know a few who definitely don't want an open display of their disability.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was vilified for parking in a disabled day at a supermarket. He had had 4 heart attacks and was entitled to display his blue badge but one guy thought he looked OK and had a right go at him.

I've been into many places and seen people not wearing masks but it's not up to me to question why. I comply with the law and so do the majority. It's the ones who have a mask under their chin or letting their nose be out that are worse. They're obviously not exempt unless stupidity qualifies "

common sense tells you that unfortunate as it may be, if the disability impedes them from wearing a mask , that already is an open display... the missing mask from the face ... so what difference does a lanyard that affords them the exemption make in these circumstances

i honestly do understand where people are coning from trying to protect vulnerable people from abuse or an uncomfortable situation or the trauma of wearing the visor or whatever , but the harsh cold truth of life is short of wrapping people in bubble wrap and locking them up at home, we actually cannot protect everyone from everything unfortunate bad or uncomfortable that they may come across in life... all we can do is put in place systems designed to help them (ie the lanyard) and allow them the choice for themselves if they will to partake or not

[Removed by poster at 24/12/20 11:40:17]

london

"If your so caring about peoples health ,why do you not care about peoples disability exemtions . Your only caring about you an your fears of catching something .so much so that you dont care about other peoples excuses "

Yes I am slightly afraid of catching something... I care about myself, my family and friends... so should everyone. The way you do it is by wearing a mask. Socially distancing. Washing hands and most importantly using your brain. Excuses to me are exactly that ... excuses. If people genuinely can’t wear a mask, then a visor in my view is better than nothing. This does not impact on exemptions, doesn’t require you to advertise disability or require you to wear a lanyard. And yes I do want to protect myself from unmasked individuals coughing over me in tescos... no mask no entry... no excuses.

ashford

"If your so caring about peoples health ,why do you not care about peoples disability exemtions . Your only caring about you an your fears of catching something .so much so that you dont care about other peoples excuses

Yes I am slightly afraid of catching something... I care about myself, my family and friends... so should everyone. The way you do it is by wearing a mask. Socially distancing. Washing hands and most importantly using your brain. Excuses to me are exactly that ... excuses. If people genuinely can’t wear a mask, then a visor in my view is better than nothing. This does not impact on exemptions, doesn’t require you to advertise disability or require you to wear a lanyard. And yes I do want to protect myself from unmasked individuals coughing over me in tescos... no mask no entry... no excuses."

x

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

I’m not sure what the inference in your post is getting at but I have received the email from Costco and I wear a mask.

I made a statement not an inference. Read it again. I made no inference whatsoever. "

So who are the ‘targeted people’ that you suggest in your statement? You must have had someone in mind to make such a comment.

"Like others are saying I understand where Costco are coming from. They're trying to do the 'right thing' or at least be perceived to be doing that. And that's understandable. However, under the law which is written very clearly and succinctly on Gov.UK they cannot enforce this, merely request, so the email/letter they have sent out can disregarded by their customers should they wish to do so.

It's their shop, they can choose who they let in and who they don't let in and serve. So they can enforce it.

Also Premises where face coverings are required should take reasonable steps to promote compliance with the law.

The police can take measures if members of the public do not comply with this law without a valid exemption "

No. That is not the case. Where I work (we deal often with vulnerable adults) we had to go through this with the proverbial fine tooth comb when the rules were first introduced as many of my employees and clients fell into this grey area. However I understand why you have replied as you have as its a common misunderstanding as the media etc... have generally implied that if you don't comply and wear a mask then you will be fined. The situation is you self-certify if you are unable to wear a mask and if you can't you may choose to carry a lanyard or sign saying a such but you have NO legal obligation to do so.

As it was explained to us eventually by our local council's legal team is its a bit like a private golf club and they may have a rule that all gents must adhere to the club rule that they wear a tie in the bar. Ok, its private and that's enforceable. However, they still have to make sure that bar is accessible by say wheelchair users. So if the wheelchair user, adorned in his club tie, is unable to access the bar then his Human Rights 2011 are infringed. This falls under the same umbrella in that you can't ask a person to wear a mask if it is a detriment to them. Case in point at worst the wheelchair user only goes thirsty whereas a mask could be potentially fatal. So that is why the law exists as it does.

Now you're going to ask 'well what's the point of the law if at the very core of it is its up to everyone's personal discretion anyway?' well, you'll have to ask the law makers that. But that - as per GovUK as last updated 4th Dec 2020 - is the law.

Ridiculous.

might happen?

As for personal freedom; it’s not being taken from us. Brexit will take more freedoms from us and they will be permanent "

Just because it might happen doesn't mean it will and yes our freedom is being taken from us.

Why will brexit take more freedom?

You seem to fall into the camp that thinks freedom and personal choice should be removed for the greater good.

The collective is all and individuality should be crushed. Is that your belief?

london

Onlyme...in Edinburgh you have clearly watched braveheart too many times lol. Try to avoid putting words into other people mouths... and watching braveheart. Ohhh and don’t forget to wear a mask or visor if you go to Costco.

"Like others are saying I understand where Costco are coming from. They're trying to do the 'right thing' or at least be perceived to be doing that. And that's understandable. However, under the law which is written very clearly and succinctly on Gov.UK they cannot enforce this, merely request, so the email/letter they have sent out can disregarded by their customers should they wish to do so.

The police can take measures if members of the public do not comply with this law without a valid exemption

No. That is not the case. Where I work (we deal often with vulnerable adults) we had to go through this with the proverbial fine tooth comb when the rules were first introduced as many of my employees and clients fell into this grey area. However I understand why you have replied as you have as its a common misunderstanding as the media etc... have generally implied that if you don't comply and wear a mask then you will be fined. The situation is you self-certify if you are unable to wear a mask and if you can't you may choose to carry a lanyard or sign saying a such but you have NO legal obligation to do so.

As it was explained to us eventually by our local council's legal team is its a bit like a private golf club and they may have a rule that all gents must adhere to the club rule that they wear a tie in the bar. Ok, its private and that's enforceable. However, they still have to make sure that bar is accessible by say wheelchair users. So if the wheelchair user, adorned in his club tie, is unable to access the bar then his Human Rights 2011 are infringed. This falls under the same umbrella in that you can't ask a person to wear a mask if it is a detriment to them. Case in point at worst the wheelchair user only goes thirsty whereas a mask could be potentially fatal. So that is why the law exists as it does.

Now you're going to ask 'well what's the point of the law if at the very core of it is its up to everyone's personal discretion anyway?' well, you'll have to ask the law makers that. But that - as per GovUK as last updated 4th Dec 2020 - is the law."

i think judges would find this quite a bit less clear cut and harder to rule on than not making it possible for someone in a wheelchair to get access

suffering past trauma that is triggered when you wear a mask for example isnt actually a disability that would be protected under the act

the most likely scenario is it never even makes it to court for being ridiculously petty and a waste of court time

they have had to make things law to deter people from shrugging them off, but if people could pull together and follow a more love thy neighbour approach for want of a better term and just wear one if they are able, then there wouldn’t have had to be a law in the first place

london

Now you're going to ask 'well what's the point of the law if at the very core of it is its up to everyone's personal discretion anyway?' well, you'll have to ask the law makers that. But that - as per GovUK as last updated 4th Dec 2020 - is the law.

i think judges would find this quite a bit less clear cut and harder to rule on than not making it possible for someone in a wheelchair to get access

suffering past trauma that is triggered when you wear a mask for example isnt actually a disability that would be protected under the act

the most likely scenario is it never even makes it to court for being ridiculously petty and a waste of court time

they have had to make things law to deter people from shrugging them off, but if people could pull together and follow a more love thy neighbour approach for want of a better term and just wear one if they are able, then there wouldn’t have had to be a law in the first place

"

Well said girl in lingerie ( whom is actually blocked by mutual agreement). Please have a word with only me in Edinburgh... he will be the one with the blue face and big sword.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Do you know for sure that they are faking medical exemption? If so, how did you arrive at this conclusion? I'm assuming you went round asking people for their exemption reasons, thus prying into their confidential medical histories when it's actually none of your business.

Do you know for sure that they are faking medical exemption? If so, how did you arrive at this conclusion? I'm assuming you went round asking people for their exemption reasons, thus prying into their confidential medical histories when it's actually none of your business. "

Well said.

ashford

Do you know for sure that they are faking medical exemption? If so, how did you arrive at this conclusion? I'm assuming you went round asking people for their exemption reasons, thus prying into their confidential medical histories when it's actually none of your business. "

Exactly! To many people into other peoples business up there on their moral high ground! X

ribble valley

Yes, I do know for for sure. I personally know them and they admitted it.

Do you know for sure that they are faking medical exemption? If so, how did you arrive at this conclusion? I'm assuming you went round asking people for their exemption reasons, thus prying into their confidential medical histories when it's actually none of your business.

Exactly! To many people into other peoples business up there on their moral high ground! X"

Well said again.