FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Carrot and Stick for a Vax'

Carrot and Stick for a Vax'

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-israeli-bar-offers-free-drink-for-jab-to-tempt-more-young-people-to-get-vaccinated-12222595

"COVID-19: Israeli bar offers free drink for jab to tempt more young people to get vaccinated".

A double bonus go home d*unk but covered lol.

How could we help get more vaccine reticent's through the doors of the Vax Center?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

My personal opinion is to concentrate on those who are ok to have it, a lot of the undecided will probably decide for in time and those that are really against it will never get it.

The bame community are being encouraged by various celebrities and Prince Charles already

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-israeli-bar-offers-free-drink-for-jab-to-tempt-more-young-people-to-get-vaccinated-12222595

"COVID-19: Israeli bar offers free drink for jab to tempt more young people to get vaccinated".

Do we need to at the moment there are plenty that want it so don't know this is where we are up now

How could we help get more vaccine reticent's through the doors of the Vax Center?"

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Better communication and trust building. I feel incentives (or penalties) should be further down the line, if at all.

Empower people with knowledge, get them to be active in their health and proactive in their civic obligation.

This might be Utopian but I think it should be the first and predominant strategy.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I would like to also see social media companies play their part and shut down accounts from anti vax conspiracy theory nutters.

If they can block the news to a whole country like Australia then they can use key words to identify stupid accounts.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"My personal opinion is to concentrate on those who are ok to have it, a lot of the undecided will probably decide for in time and those that are really against it will never get it.

The bame community are being encouraged by various celebrities and Prince Charles already"

This ..

As the process rolls out some people will naturally look again at the reasons they currently have against being vaccinated ..

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

if the roll out is doing better than expected why would we need to so long as we reach the suggested 80%?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"My personal opinion is to concentrate on those who are ok to have it, a lot of the undecided will probably decide for in time and those that are really against it will never get it.

The bame community are being encouraged by various celebrities and Prince Charles already

This ..

As the process rolls out some people will naturally look again at the reasons they currently have against being vaccinated .. "

Peer pressure works wonders too. A group of friends saying "you haven't had it?" with a face can be very persuasive

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Beat em with a big stick or a free condom. See what I did there " condom & stick" very fabby

in Lancashire

This ..

As the process rolls out some people will naturally look again at the reasons they currently have against being vaccinated ..

Peer pressure works wonders too. A group of friends saying "you haven't had it?" with a face can be very persuasive"

Agreed and family members etc..

OMG please please please just listen to yourselves just go back and read what you have wrote? You are saying you bully through intimidation to change peoples minds and even your own families minds? I am so sorry for what you are going through but just because you've chosen to have the vaccine and can't see why others won't want it you can't bully them or intimate them into your (strange) way of thinking. I'm sorry for you and how your mind process works but please listen to what your saying? You want social media to decide how people think and control their minds (not like yours has been controlled) but only if their thinking different from you? This is absolutely disgusting talk in this day of age never have I known so few narrow minded individuals who can't think for themselves but when someone does think for themself (regardless of opinion) they are shot down and wrong for daring to question or think for themselves and think about what is their best outcome of a situation? Never mind that they dare think differently from you because you are doing as everyone else you know is doing and that is following suit as you can't think for yourself and it probably scares you to wonder why people aren't wanting the vaccine. I'm sorry but you are all the wooly people I have heard so much about baaah ramm you baaah ramm you trust me the vax won't save you x Adriana xx

Manchester (she/her)

"OMG please please please just listen to yourselves just go back and read what you have wrote? You are saying you bully through intimidation to change peoples minds and even your own families minds? I am so sorry for what you are going through but just because you've chosen to have the vaccine and can't see why others won't want it you can't bully them or intimate them into your (strange) way of thinking. I'm sorry for you and how your mind process works but please listen to what your saying? You want social media to decide how people think and control their minds (not like yours has been controlled) but only if their thinking different from you? This is absolutely disgusting talk in this day of age never have I known so few narrow minded individuals who can't think for themselves but when someone does think for themself (regardless of opinion) they are shot down and wrong for daring to question or think for themselves and think about what is their best outcome of a situation? Never mind that they dare think differently from you because you are doing as everyone else you know is doing and that is following suit as you can't think for yourself and it probably scares you to wonder why people aren't wanting the vaccine. I'm sorry but you are all the wooly people I have heard so much about baaah ramm you baaah ramm you trust me the vax won't save you x Adriana xx"

Umm...

That's a bit of a leap. In fact, that leap should be in the Matrix.

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Just give anti vaxxers a Darwin award.

"OMG please please please just listen to yourselves just go back and read what you have wrote? You are saying you bully through intimidation to change peoples minds and even your own families minds? I am so sorry for what you are going through but just because you've chosen to have the vaccine and can't see why others won't want it you can't bully them or intimate them into your (strange) way of thinking. I'm sorry for you and how your mind process works but please listen to what your saying? You want social media to decide how people think and control their minds (not like yours has been controlled) but only if their thinking different from you? This is absolutely disgusting talk in this day of age never have I known so few narrow minded individuals who can't think for themselves but when someone does think for themself (regardless of opinion) they are shot down and wrong for daring to question or think for themselves and think about what is their best outcome of a situation? Never mind that they dare think differently from you because you are doing as everyone else you know is doing and that is following suit as you can't think for yourself and it probably scares you to wonder why people aren't wanting the vaccine. I'm sorry but you are all the wooly people I have heard so much about baaah ramm you baaah ramm you trust me the vax won't save you x Adriana xx"

wow! I said all that in 22 words? who'd have thought?

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Grangemouth

"https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-israeli-bar-offers-free-drink-for-jab-to-tempt-more-young-people-to-get-vaccinated-12222595

How could we help get more vaccine reticent's through the doors of the Vax Center?"

Maybe not have the makers exemot from any prosecution if anything goes wrong. That would encourage me to be a bit more open to it.

If it wasnt rushed through and had some ling term testing i.e a couple of yeats, and wasnt endorsed by a so called government i have no trust in and contempt for, that would help.

If it was actually shown to have a high rate at stopping the virus, that would help.

the fact that they are cant say how actually useful it is os a big issue for me. not inly that i strongly believe the numbers are flawed, as has been confirmed just last week in yankeeland.

But you know get them d*unk and stick a needle in them... so stupid.

Grangemouth

"Better communication and trust building. I feel incentives (or penalties) should be further down the line, if at all.

Empower people with knowledge, get them to be active in their health and proactive in their civic obligation.

This might be Utopian but I think it should be the first and predominant strategy."

tha problem with punishments for not getting it is it open up a can of worms were the goverment can now say, take this jab, take this chitake this fluid or else, fines, jail. that isnt freedom that is sl***ry, *why does fab ban that word ffs?*.

of you think the UK governemnt (and many others are not capable of that behaviour, read some history.

Manchester (she/her)

"Better communication and trust building. I feel incentives (or penalties) should be further down the line, if at all.

This might be Utopian but I think it should be the first and predominant strategy.

tha problem with punishments for not getting it is it open up a can of worms were the goverment can now say, take this jab, take this chitake this fluid or else, fines, jail. that isnt freedom that is sl***ry, *why does fab ban that word ffs?*.

of you think the UK governemnt (and many others are not capable of that behaviour, read some history."

I grew up subject to a vaccine mandate. I also have degrees in history. Further, I'm aware of vaccine mandates and how they operate in several countries.

I reject your hyperbole.

Grangemouth

This ..

Peer pressure works wonders too. A group of friends saying "you haven't had it?" with a face can be very persuasive"

I am surprised a mod is encourage peer pressure?

Generally the uptake is not too bad here.

Yesterday I was offered a vaccine as their were some no shows.

I ask the lady who called me how many didn't turn up.

She said 13 but that was out of 900 appointments booked for that center.

I know certain communities are more reluctant but lots of work is being done to encourage and reassure them.

This ..

Peer pressure works wonders too. A group of friends saying "you haven't had it?" with a face can be very persuasive

I am surprised a mod is encourage peer pressure?"

You do know that even mods have Independent views and opinions and big shock! They are even a human.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Totally agree people, specifically the Vaccine Hesitant (as you can forget anti-vax crowd), need to be communicated with in a respectful adult manner that recognises that some concerns are legitimate.

Those people need reassurance and plain English explanations as to how the vaccines have been developed, why quick isn’t cutting corners, why it is ok that big pharma are exempt from being sued in future, and some statistical comparison showing the level of risk from Covid vs the vaccines.

Anyone supporting the idea of a “stick” is frankly being an idiot and as out of line as the anti vax crowd!

Manchester (she/her)

This ..

Peer pressure is one of many tools used in communities trying to encourage behaviour.

I find the idea that this is outrageous to be... bizarre. It's literally how anything works. How do we get people to do a thing we believe is beneficial (or not do a thing which is harmful)? Discussion, incentives, peer pressure, potentially punishment. This isn't sinister, it's how society functions with literally anything.

By *hromosexualsCouple  over a year ago

Near Abercynon

I think most right minded folks will take it, and in the end that’s more than likely going to be good enough. You’ll always get the conspiracy theorists, just let them crack on... they will be safe because most of us will be responsible.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Israel is also introducing a 'Green Pass', which will allow the vaccinated to visit bars, clubs etc. Since news was made of this, vaccination rates have picked up, after dwindling. This is a carrot, which will benefit those who get it and a stick to those who refuse. I know the UK government has resisted calls for passes etc but private organisations could still use them but need an official scheme to validate who has had the jab.

Manchester (she/her)

"Israel is also introducing a 'Green Pass', which will allow the vaccinated to visit bars, clubs etc. Since news was made of this, vaccination rates have picked up, after dwindling. This is a carrot, which will benefit those who get it and a stick to those who refuse. I know the UK government has resisted calls for passes etc but private organisations could still use them but need an official scheme to validate who has had the jab. "

I've heard Germany is doing similar. I imagine that UK passes will be needed if only for international travel.

The bame community are being encouraged by various celebrities and Prince Charles already"

This for me too. If someone doesn't want it I'll have their place in the queue.

Grangemouth

This ..

Peer pressure is one of many tools used in communities trying to encourage behaviour.

I find the idea that this is outrageous to be... bizarre. It's literally how anything works. How do we get people to do a thing we believe is beneficial (or not do a thing which is harmful)? Discussion, incentives, peer pressure, potentially punishment. This isn't sinister, it's how society functions with literally anything."

Evidence and education. pulling a face and making them feel stupid or inferior is not the way.

Grangemouth

"I think most right minded folks will take it, and in the end that’s more than likely going to be good enough. You’ll always get the conspiracy theorists, just let them crack on... they will be safe because most of us will be responsible."

Why does someone who is reluctant to have a dodgy pharma company inject them with a not very well tested vaccinex make them a consirapcy theorist?

in Lancashire

That's one irrelevant to what you've actually read response/rambling..

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I think most right minded folks will take it, and in the end that’s more than likely going to be good enough. You’ll always get the conspiracy theorists, just let them crack on... they will be safe because most of us will be responsible.

Why does someone who is reluctant to have a dodgy pharma company inject them with a not very well tested vaccinex make them a consirapcy theorist?"

*Facepalm*

in Lancashire

This ..

You've clearly read that wrong, where does it say by any contributor they are encouraging?

Manchester (she/her)

This ..

I find the idea that this is outrageous to be... bizarre. It's literally how anything works. How do we get people to do a thing we believe is beneficial (or not do a thing which is harmful)? Discussion, incentives, peer pressure, potentially punishment. This isn't sinister, it's how society functions with literally anything.

Evidence and education. pulling a face and making them feel stupid or inferior is not the way.

"

And yet when you responded to my initial post, talking about education, communication, and empowerment, you suggested that my answer would lead to the subjugation (dodging banned word) of the British population.

Sometimes arguments are utterly ridiculous and contradictory, I'm afraid.

in Lancashire

How could we help get more vaccine reticent's through the doors of the Vax Center?

Maybe not have the makers exemot from any prosecution if anything goes wrong. That would encourage me to be a bit more open to it.

If it wasnt rushed through and had some ling term testing i.e a couple of yeats, and wasnt endorsed by a so called government i have no trust in and contempt for, that would help.

If it was actually shown to have a high rate at stopping the virus, that would help.

the fact that they are cant say how actually useful it is os a big issue for me. not inly that i strongly believe the numbers are flawed, as has been confirmed just last week in yankeeland.

But you know get them d*unk and stick a needle in them... so stupid."

Read today's report in the Lancet, it's encouraging for those who have also had queries about efficacy etc..

I think at the moment we don't know who is actually going to have the vaccine because some that were reluctant to begin with have now changed their mind.

The will get some That will refuse no matter what.

The vast majority are reluctant and I think when the role out is complete for everybody have a look and see what groups of people haven't had it if we have enough for herd immunity it wont be a problem, If we don't then yes maybe the stick approach will be needed.

Manchester (she/her)

"I think at the moment we don't know who is actually going to have the vaccine because some that were reluctant to begin with have now changed their mind.

The vast majority are reluctant and I think when the role out is complete for everybody have a look and see what groups of people haven't had it if we have enough for herd immunity it wont be a problem, If we don't then yes maybe the stick approach will be needed."

I get that. And I agree.

I'm not sure how this went off the rails here

"If we want people to do X thing, how do we go about it?" Techniques include education, communication, peer pressure, incentives, penalties.

... I'm not sure anyone discussing the OP seriously is suggesting that a) penalties are the first step or anywhere near warranted any time soon, or b) we're going to destroy democracy or whatever to get everyone jabbed.

... It's just a discussion of how to encourage compliance with what is seen (by many) as a public good

Forum Mod

East Sussex

This ..

I'm not encouraging peer pressure or discouraging it. It is being used though, it's why they've asked Romesh Ranganathan and others to appeal to the bame community and what keeps most of us in line with the rest of society.

The views I express on the forum are my own and have nothing to do with the site as long as they're are permitted within site rules.

Grangemouth

"I think most right minded folks will take it, and in the end that’s more than likely going to be good enough. You’ll always get the conspiracy theorists, just let them crack on... they will be safe because most of us will be responsible.

Why does someone who is reluctant to have a dodgy pharma company inject them with a not very well tested vaccinex make them a consirapcy theorist?

*Facepalm*"

i have considered your balanced argument and realise you are probably a victim of both main stream media, and lack of any sort of research.

please tell me which part of my conment made you want to hit yourself in the face (not advised)

Grangemouth

This ..

I'm not encouraging peer pressure or discouraging it. It is being used though, it's why they've asked Romesh Ranganathan and others to appeal to the bame community and what keeps most of us in line with the rest of society.

The views I express on the forum are my own and have nothing to do with the site as long as they're are permitted within site rules."

You said peer pressure works wonders, how is that not encouraging it?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Give them to shop workers and when anyone reaches over and gets too close... Jab them.

Manchester (she/her)

*Facepalm*

i have considered your balanced argument and realise you are probably a victim of both main stream media, and lack of any sort of research.

please tell me which part of my conment made you want to hit yourself in the face (not advised)

"

"I think at the moment we don't know who is actually going to have the vaccine because some that were reluctant to begin with have now changed their mind.

The vast majority are reluctant and I think when the role out is complete for everybody have a look and see what groups of people haven't had it if we have enough for herd immunity it wont be a problem, If we don't then yes maybe the stick approach will be needed.

I get that. And I agree.

"If we want people to do X thing, how do we go about it?" Techniques include education, communication, peer pressure, incentives, penalties.

... I'm not sure anyone discussing the OP seriously is suggesting that a) penalties are the first step or anywhere near warranted any time soon, or b) we're going to destroy democracy or whatever to get everyone jabbed.

... It's just a discussion of how to encourage compliance with what is seen (by many) as a public good "

I was chatting to someone on the forums Off the back of the thread that was talking about why certain communities or certain people wouldn't have a vaccine.

This poster told me initially he was reluctant because he had been given a lot of false information on social media and by friends or WhatsApp groups.

He had a chat with another friend who was quite knowledgeable and was able to intelligently and knowledgeably explain the pros and cons to him and he felt more enabled to make an informed choice.

I think this is all any of us want is for people to make an informed choice and not be put off through false or fake information or simply because they don't understand it or are scared.

Manchester (she/her)

I get that. And I agree.

... It's just a discussion of how to encourage compliance with what is seen (by many) as a public good

I was chatting to someone on the forums Off the back of the thread that was talking about why certain communities or certain people wouldn't have a vaccine.

This poster told me initially he was reluctant because he had been given a lot of false information on social media and by friends or WhatsApp groups.

He had a chat with another friend who was quite knowledgeable and was able to intelligently and knowledgeably explain the pros and cons to him and he felt more enabled to make an informed choice.

I think this is all any of us want is for people to make an informed choice and not be put off through false or fake information or simply because they don't understand it or are scared.

"

For sure.

I have plenty of discussions with people (mostly not on here) about good sources of information, etc.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

This ..

The views I express on the forum are my own and have nothing to do with the site as long as they're are permitted within site rules.

You said peer pressure works wonders, how is that not encouraging it?"

Ok, let me rephrase my comment.

I expect that some of those who are reluctant to take the vaccine will change their minds when they see how their friends and people they admire react.

I admit that when a former friend said she wasn't allowing her children to have the usual childhood vaccinations I made a face and said "why on earth not?"

Tin town

This might be Utopian but I think it should be the first and predominant strategy."

100% agree. In fact. It would also go hand in glove with rebuilding our country after this episode. A cohesive team all facing in the same direction trying to achieve common goals is a powerful tool.

Manchester (she/her)

100% agree. In fact. It would also go hand in glove with rebuilding our country after this episode. A cohesive team all facing in the same direction trying to achieve common goals is a powerful tool. "

Qualified agree, depends on what the goals are. Robust debate and evaluation of what's best for the country is always required.

Grangemouth

Read today's report in the Lancet, it's encouraging for those who have also had queries about efficacy etc.."

onshall donthat, but it will take a hell of a lot for me to trust Pfizer. anyone who had looked into this company know about their greed, corruption and false statements regarding many of their products.

Give them to shop workers and when anyone reaches over and gets too close... Jab them. "

Tin town

"Israel is also introducing a 'Green Pass', which will allow the vaccinated to visit bars, clubs etc. Since news was made of this, vaccination rates have picked up, after dwindling. This is a carrot, which will benefit those who get it and a stick to those who refuse. I know the UK government has resisted calls for passes etc but private organisations could still use them but need an official scheme to validate who has had the jab. "

Good for Israel, they have history, culture and behaviour to be able to implement such a system and do it well. Im not sure it would have a cat in hells chance in this country. Before the powers that be started getting called, ironically enough.. Nazis and comparisons to pink triangles and yellow stars..

Out of interest what's happening with the indigenous Palestinian community.?

Grangemouth

Efficacy of 66.7% but doesnt appear to state in what, stooping you catching, spreading, dying of?

I jumped to efficacy as I am at work.

I may try and give this s more thorough read later.

Grangemouth

"Israel is also introducing a 'Green Pass', which will allow the vaccinated to visit bars, clubs etc. Since news was made of this, vaccination rates have picked up, after dwindling. This is a carrot, which will benefit those who get it and a stick to those who refuse. I know the UK government has resisted calls for passes etc but private organisations could still use them but need an official scheme to validate who has had the jab.

Good for Israel, they have history, culture and behaviour to be able to implement such a system and do it well. Im not sure it would have a cat in hells chance in this country. Before the powers that be started getting called, ironically enough.. Nazis and comparisons to pink triangles and yellow stars..

Out of interest what's happening with the indigenous Palestinian community.? "

According to google maps Palastine doesnt exist. this is an entirely different discussion

Brighton

"Israel is also introducing a 'Green Pass', which will allow the vaccinated to visit bars, clubs etc. Since news was made of this, vaccination rates have picked up, after dwindling. This is a carrot, which will benefit those who get it and a stick to those who refuse. I know the UK government has resisted calls for passes etc but private organisations could still use them but need an official scheme to validate who has had the jab.

Careful! Even mentioning things like that can get you accused of making direct comparisons even when anyone remotely intelligent can see that isn’t the case!

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Last time I saw they were not getting the jab

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Last time I saw they were not getting the jab"

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/55800921

This is quite detailed.

in Lancashire

Read today's report in the Lancet, it's encouraging for those who have also had queries about efficacy etc..

onshall donthat, but it will take a hell of a lot for me to trust Pfizer. anyone who had looked into this company know about their greed, corruption and false statements regarding many of their products."

We live in an age where a person could with some simplicity say that about the vast majority of corporations, government's and institutions etc..

Recognising such things is fine but if a person allows such mistrusts to determine how they live, what they use or take, even where they go that's a lot of overthinking..

Grangemouth

onshall donthat, but it will take a hell of a lot for me to trust Pfizer. anyone who had looked into this company know about their greed, corruption and false statements regarding many of their products.

We live in an age where a person could with some simplicity say that about the vast majority of corporations, government's and institutions etc..

Recognising such things is fine but if a person allows such mistrusts to determine how they live, what they use or take, even where they go that's a lot of overthinking.."

You say overthinking, i say using my brain and freedom of choice, for as long as I have it (apparently)

pfizer are proven liars, fraudsters and worse. i dont trust them, end of story.

the fact the Tories jumped onttheir vaccone so fast makes me think one thing, backhanders. simple as that.

Central

Why does someone who is reluctant to have a dodgy pharma company inject them with a not very well tested vaccinex make them a consirapcy theorist?"

The way you have worded your question sums it up

Brighton

Recognising such things is fine but if a person allows such mistrusts to determine how they live, what they use or take, even where they go that's a lot of overthinking.."

Hmmm I agree if we are talking about things that are not being put inside our bodies but would argue it is just being sensible to do due diligence and research when it comes to “medicines” and wouldn’t call that overthinking?

60 years ago the marketing men were telling people smoking was good for you! People ate food loaded with saturated fat, salt and sugar. Now most of us know that isn’t sensible for our health. That mindshift has taken time though.

Central

Last I heard, a small shipment at the Gaza strip had been held up earlier in the week, whilst arrangements were finalised. A small shipment, small number of thousands I think, has been allowed through.

Grangemouth

The way you have worded your question sums it up "

ok, so you think it has been well tested and pfizer are trustworthy and reputable?

Grangemouth

Recognising such things is fine but if a person allows such mistrusts to determine how they live, what they use or take, even where they go that's a lot of overthinking..

Hmmm I agree if we are talking about things that are not being put inside our bodies but would argue it is just being sensible to do due diligence and research when it comes to “medicines” and wouldn’t call that overthinking?

60 years ago the marketing men were telling people smoking was good for you! People ate food loaded with saturated fat, salt and sugar. Now most of us know that isn’t sensible for our health. That mindshift has taken time though."

Tin town

Last time I saw they were not getting the jab"

But dont a large number, almost 2m of them live in Israel amongst israelis or that which has been annexed to Israel?

in Lancashire

You say overthinking, i say using my brain and freedom of choice, for as long as I have it (apparently)

the fact the Tories jumped onttheir vaccone so fast makes me think one thing, backhanders. simple as that."

Well that's fine, there are other options should you wish or again if you choose not to..

in Lancashire

60 years ago the marketing men were telling people smoking was good for you! People ate food loaded with saturated fat, salt and sugar. Now most of us know that isn’t sensible for our health. That mindshift has taken time though."

Agree on ethics of product use and marketing has-been about since year dot but it seems to be with some a cult like issue over this vaccine for this virus..

Respect that some won't be vaccinated, I have a couple of friends who haven't had vaccinations long before last year..

A lot of people are making a good living feeding off the fears they've propagated this last year..

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

Grangemouth

the fact the Tories jumped onttheir vaccone so fast makes me think one thing, backhanders. simple as that.

Well that's fine, there are other options should you wish or again if you choose not to.."

indeed there are, and as I have been working mostly all the way through, I believe i can wait a bit longer before deciding which if any vaccine i will take.

Brighton

@_ouple in lancashire

Without doubt there are people who are extreme anti-vaxxers that also correlate with believing in a variety of weird and wonderful conspiracy theories. Those people will not change.

There is also a substantial group of Vaccine Hesitants who have valid and justified concerns. I have seen a trend amongst people (not just on here) who have apparently total confidence and trust in the science, big pharma and our Govt(s), to at least sneer at through to outright hostility and calling them stupid, selfish for not sharing their positive opinion on the vaccine.

The accusation of a “cult” could equally be applied to people like that.

One thing for sure is that, regardless of where you sit, the whole Covid crisis has brought out the worst in many people.

To those messaging me with anti virus stuff, allow me to answer you all in one go here.

I'm highly vulnerable to Covid, so I'll take my chances with a vaccine over hiding at home anytime.

Also Mum died of Covid last week.

Our family is suffering enough grief as it is.

Also I've already had my first dose of the Pfizer jab, so you are wasting your time.

Hope that clears it up for you all.

Manchester (she/her)

"To those messaging me with anti virus stuff, allow me to answer you all in one go here.

I'm highly vulnerable to Covid, so I'll take my chances with a vaccine over hiding at home anytime.

Also I've already had my first dose of the Pfizer jab, so you are wasting your time.

"

I'm sorry for your loss.

Brighton

"To those messaging me with anti virus stuff, allow me to answer you all in one go here.

"

Poor behaviour messaging people direct with anti vax stuff. We have had it too and blocked.

Also sorry for your loss.

Thanks guys

Very strange some are resorting to messaging this stuff here.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

High voltage cattle prods

in Lancashire

"@_ouple in lancashire

Without doubt there are people who are extreme anti-vaxxers that also correlate with believing in a variety of weird and wonderful conspiracy theories. Those people will not change.

There is also a substantial group of Vaccine Hesitants who have valid and justified concerns. I have seen a trend amongst people (not just on here) who have apparently total confidence and trust in the science, big pharma and our Govt(s), to at least sneer at through to outright hostility and calling them stupid, selfish for not sharing their positive opinion on the vaccine.

One thing for sure is that, regardless of where you sit, the whole Covid crisis has brought out the worst in many people."

I don't know anyone on here who has expressed total confidence and trust in any of the three you mention in this past year..

There's definitely been a cult like minority albeit less so since the site and social medias in general have clamped down on what was rampant, deliberate disinformation..

It's almost a bit pointless it seems saying once again that many and that includes several contributors who are now going with the vaccination option have openly expressed concerns previously about the speed of the vaccines being available etc..

What you seem to be doing is putting people in two camps with the association that those who may have been hostile and called others what you say applies to all, that's simply not the case..

Equally it's not the case that most people who understand others hesitancy etc view them as conspiracy theorists, in fact it was only used here by someone opposed to Pfizer and not anyone offering a different view..

It's brought out the worst in some, the good in many others but given the nature and the sheer scale of this that's not a surprise..

in Lancashire

"Thanks guys

Very strange some are resorting to messaging this stuff here. "

We've had it also, strangely enough from some who didn't contribute to the particular debate..

Condolences for your loss..

Manchester (she/her)

"Thanks guys

Very strange some are resorting to messaging this stuff here.

We've had it also, strangely enough from some who didn't contribute to the particular debate..

Condolences for your loss.."

I'm sure the only reason I haven't is that my filters are set so high that no one new can get through.

Tin town

"

support for you here. Be a bit better people

Brighton

"@_ouple in lancashire

One thing for sure is that, regardless of where you sit, the whole Covid crisis has brought out the worst in many people.

I don't know anyone on here who has expressed total confidence and trust in any of the three you mention in this past year..

There's definitely been a cult like minority albeit less so since the site and social medias in general have clamped down on what was rampant, deliberate disinformation..

It's almost a bit pointless it seems saying once again that many and that includes several contributors who are now going with the vaccination option have openly expressed concerns previously about the speed of the vaccines being available etc..

What you seem to be doing is putting people in two camps with the association that those who may have been hostile and called others what you say applies to all, that's simply not the case..

Equally it's not the case that most people who understand others hesitancy etc view them as conspiracy theorists, in fact it was only used here by someone opposed to Pfizer and not anyone offering a different view..

It's brought out the worst in some, the good in many others but given the nature and the sheer scale of this that's not a surprise.."

Yeah all good not sure my post quite said what I intended. Of course there are more than two camps and lots of grey/middle ground. My point was that there are extremes of thought on both sides. Most people are reasonable though.

Tin town

"@_ouple in lancashire

One thing for sure is that, regardless of where you sit, the whole Covid crisis has brought out the worst in many people."

I'm not sure very many people trust the Holy triumverate you mention. I certainly don't. But I do trust the motivations of my govt that they don't want this disaster to go along for any longer than necessary. I am sceptical about scientists as I understand a little of how they are funded and the naivite of some thinking science is absolute and has an answer. All 3 however need to work together to get us out of here and in my own case I trust the desire to not be here any longer than necessary rather than any altruistic caring for the people sentiment. It's just the better option of very limited options.

I somewhat agree that there is baiting from each side and in fact, but I think it has moderated slightly and I think the term vaccine hesitant is much more applicable. If I were 30 (I wish) I would be hesitant to have chemicals put in my body... That had very little benefit in terms of risk mitigation to me. And that's not because of the covid vaccine uniquely

.. Its any chemicals at all that aren't absolutely essential. There's a price to pay for everything.

So I think we do have to communicate much better with better content and in better ways. Firstly to equip people with accurate and appropriate facts in a timely way but also rather than hitting the people we need to do something with a big stick and calling them stupid (which never motivated me to do anything) be more mindful of their concerns and appreciative if and when they do it.

North West

*Facepalm*

"

The entire comment wanted to make me *facepalm* I'll stick with the higher level education in microbiology that I acquired from a very well regarded UK university and have employed professionally, but thank you all the same.

Brighton

"Thanks guys

Very strange some are resorting to messaging this stuff here. "

Ha ha just had someone private message and attack me for wanting to force them to take the vaccines! Clearly they haven’t read many of my posts across different threads!

Message to any other anti vaxxers - I am neither pro or anti I am openly Vaccine Hesitant. ie naturally cautious and not inclined to trust big pharma motives and ethics. Also have little trust in UK Govt but can see a vaccine supportive approach across all Govts around the world that provides some reassurance. Also perfectly capable of doing my own research thanks so stop messaging me please!

Brighton

"@_ouple in lancashire

I'm not sure very many people trust the Holy triumverate you mention. I certainly don't. But I do trust the motivations of my govt that they don't want this disaster to go along for any longer than necessary. I am sceptical about scientists as I understand a little of how they are funded and the naivite of some thinking science is absolute and has an answer. All 3 however need to work together to get us out of here and in my own case I trust the desire to not be here any longer than necessary rather than any altruistic caring for the people sentiment. It's just the better option of very limited options.

I somewhat agree that there is baiting from each side and in fact, but I think it has moderated slightly and I think the term vaccine hesitant is much more applicable. If I were 30 (I wish) I would be hesitant to have chemicals put in my body... That had very little benefit in terms of risk mitigation to me. And that's not because of the covid vaccine uniquely

.. Its any chemicals at all that aren't absolutely essential. There's a price to pay for everything.

So I think we do have to communicate much better with better content and in better ways. Firstly to equip people with accurate and appropriate facts in a timely way but also rather than hitting the people we need to do something with a big stick and calling them stupid (which never motivated me to do anything) be more mindful of their concerns and appreciative if and when they do it. "

yes I think Vaccine Hesitant is a very useful term that should illicit sympathy and understanding and perhaps more civil discourse!

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

The way you have worded your question sums it up

ok, so you think it has been well tested and pfizer are trustworthy and reputable?"

Yes & no, but I value my health & that of those around me. After researching as much as one can (please don’t say mainstream media, seems to be shorthand for ‘fool if you believe that’) vaccination seems the best way forward for me & my loved ones. No blind acceptance, no agenda.

North West

FYI those who are slinging mud at Pfizer. Pfizer did not develop the vaccine. BioNTech did. Pfizer came on board to provide money, clinical trials expertise, manufacturing sites and a global distribution network. The actual vaccine was developed solely by BioNTech, a small pharmaceutical company in Germany.

This vaccine (and the Oxford-AZ one) has gone through all the same studies as every other vaccine in clinical use in the UK. The reason it happened more rapidly than others is purely down to the fact Governments globally put shed loads of money into it and scientists didn't have to crawl around with the begging bucket (aka write hundreds of funding applications) to get the funds. Governments also committed to making upfront purchases so manufacturing could start before approval was confirmed, meaning millions of doses were sitting in freezers waiting to go pretty much straight to the clinics. Normally Governments would not bet like that and would wait to purchase until approval was confirmed. Then manufacturing would start, with a lag period of many months.

Manufacturing capability was constructed at the same time as the trials were ongoing, which is unheard of (that little thing called money again). We could bring far more drugs and vaccines to market in the same sort of timeframe if infinite resources were thrown at them. The lengthy periods for previous medication wasn't because they were tested for years and years, but because it took years and years to scrounge funding and scale up production.

But that doesn't fit the message, eh?

in Lancashire

"@_ouple in lancashire

It's brought out the worst in some, the good in many others but given the nature and the sheer scale of this that's not a surprise..

Yeah all good not sure my post quite said what I intended. Of course there are more than two camps and lots of grey/middle ground. My point was that there are extremes of thought on both sides. Most people are reasonable though."

I would agree, even taking brexit into consideration which was also an inevitable division this has brought some very interesting views to the fore..

Similarities being both sides with brexit want what they see as the best way and ditto the majority just want to put this behind us although both will have long term implications and changes etc .

Manchester (she/her)

"FYI those who are slinging mud at Pfizer. Pfizer did not develop the vaccine. BioNTech did. Pfizer came on board to provide money, clinical trials expertise, manufacturing sites and a global distribution network. The actual vaccine was developed solely by BioNTech, a small pharmaceutical company in Germany.

This vaccine (and the Oxford-AZ one) has gone through all the same studies as every other vaccine in clinical use in the UK. The reason it happened more rapidly than others is purely down to the fact Governments globally put shed loads of money into it and scientists didn't have to crawl around with the begging bucket (aka write hundreds of funding applications) to get the funds. Governments also committed to making upfront purchases so manufacturing could start before approval was confirmed, meaning millions of doses were sitting in freezers waiting to go pretty much straight to the clinics. Normally Governments would not bet like that and would wait to purchase until approval was confirmed. Then manufacturing would start, with a lag period of many months.

Manufacturing capability was constructed at the same time as the trials were ongoing, which is unheard of (that little thing called money again). We could bring far more drugs and vaccines to market in the same sort of timeframe if infinite resources were thrown at them. The lengthy periods for previous medication wasn't because they were tested for years and years, but because it took years and years to scrounge funding and scale up production.

But that doesn't fit the message, eh?"

Paul Offit - a vaccine expert, on the panel deciding approval of Covid vaccines in the US - was on a recent episode of This Week in Virology. He said that the vaccines approved in the US so far have met all the standards the FDA ask for for any other vaccine except one. (I can't remember what it was, maybe real world effectiveness versus trial efficacy?) But they've certainly met trial size standards, safety standards, and are past the point where any expert worries about long term side effects.

(In case anyone feels like fact checking me - https://youtu.be/54WDQYvvcCs )

Tin town

"FYI those who are slinging mud at Pfizer. Pfizer did not develop the vaccine. BioNTech did. Pfizer came on board to provide money, clinical trials expertise, manufacturing sites and a global distribution network. The actual vaccine was developed solely by BioNTech, a small pharmaceutical company in Germany.

But that doesn't fit the message, eh?"

Don't come in here waving your facts around...

North West

The FDA is obviously the US regulator. The vaccines have passed all the same requirements of the MHRA, the UK regulator, as any other drug. The key difference has been the parallel trialling at different stages and rolling approval, which helped speed things up.

The article entitled "How vaccines are tested, licensed and monitored" on the University of Oxford Vaccine Knowledge Project website explains it all (link to Uni of Oxford sadly not allowed).

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

However you shouldn't drink for a couple of days before or after having the jab as alcohol damages the the vaccine and makes it less effective.

Manchester (she/her)

"The FDA is obviously the US regulator. The vaccines have passed all the same requirements of the MHRA, the UK regulator, as any other drug. The key difference has been the parallel trialling at different stages and rolling approval, which helped speed things up.

The article entitled "How vaccines are tested, licensed and monitored" on the University of Oxford Vaccine Knowledge Project website explains it all (link to Uni of Oxford sadly not allowed)."

Oh definitely. I found the explanation really clear (although obviously it's long form) and a number of common concerns are discussed. (I don't know if my view is common, but I'm sort of the view - if certain countries like the US, UK, Australia, etc approve a drug, it's of high standard. Even if the standards aren't identical, which I know they're not)

Grangemouth

"The FDA is obviously the US regulator. The vaccines have passed all the same requirements of the MHRA, the UK regulator, as any other drug. The key difference has been the parallel trialling at different stages and rolling approval, which helped speed things up.

The article entitled "How vaccines are tested, licensed and monitored" on the University of Oxford Vaccine Knowledge Project website explains it all (link to Uni of Oxford sadly not allowed)."

I personally would still rather some time had passed to see if there are any negative side effects from the vaccine.

Its a personal choice.

Tin town

The article entitled "How vaccines are tested, licensed and monitored" on the University of Oxford Vaccine Knowledge Project website explains it all (link to Uni of Oxford sadly not allowed).

I personally would still rather some time had passed to see if there are any negative side effects from the vaccine.

Its a personal choice."

Presumably. You're free to exercise your personal choice. As are others you choose differently.

It is truly astonishing the amount of "thoughtful" people who are so worried about these consequences but don't give a seconds thought to recreational drugs or their other prescription or over the counter medications, or those untried and untested herbal remedies or throwing back a bottle of red or white wine or whatever other alcohol takes your fancy. Without googling the latest test statistics on what alcohol does to the body. We are a strange bunch.

I won't have a vaccine that has been scrutinised and tested but I'll go to lidl and throw handfuls of cheap untested vitamins or protein down my neck.

Brighton

Its a personal choice.

Presumably. You're free to exercise your personal choice. As are others you choose differently.

It is truly astonishing the amount of "thoughtful" people who are so worried about these consequences but don't give a seconds thought to recreational drugs or their other prescription or over the counter medications, or those untried and untested herbal remedies or throwing back a bottle of red or white wine or whatever other alcohol takes your fancy. Without googling the latest test statistics on what alcohol does to the body. We are a strange bunch.

I won't have a vaccine that has been scrutinised and tested but I'll go to lidl and throw handfuls of cheap untested vitamins or protein down my neck. "

You’re making a leap there though by characterising all hesitant people the same! Who says they all drink loads or take recreational drugs?

Tin town

Its a personal choice.

I won't have a vaccine that has been scrutinised and tested but I'll go to lidl and throw handfuls of cheap untested vitamins or protein down my neck.

You’re making a leap there though by characterising all hesitant people the same! Who says they all drink loads or take recreational drugs?"

Not really labelling all of anybody but yes I see how it can be interpreted that way. Including myself in that. I've never read so much on one topic before and yet still feel ignorant. And yet haven't ever looked up (for example)... The quality of the air we breathe everyday and the polutants in it or the tap water we drink and the additives and chemicals that are placed in it... And yet I drink it or breathe loads of it each and every day. Or the dangers of getting in my car and making a journey. Which I am more likely to suffer injury from than the vaccine but have never bothered to challenge govt, car manufacturers, petrol companies on the dangers they are putting into my life or the collosal lies and or incompetence they show in road traffic management as another example. Or the badly planned badly signposted badly lit contra flow that regularly kills and maims people but doesn't get a headline.

If nothing else this last year has got a few more people to wake up to what they've got and look at things a little differently. And yes politicians and corporations have increasingly got away with a lack of scrutiny and responsibility for way too long. Let's hope we can reverse that trend.

"politicians and corporations have increasingly got away with a lack of scrutiny and responsibility for way too long. Let's hope we can reverse that trend. "

there's little chance of that for the next 4 years

» Add a new message to this topic