FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Fed up with the government

Fed up with the government

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

I'm fed up with the government one second they are getting everyone's hope's up saying the vaccine is working well and then today Whitty is saying it's a long way from being over its no wonder people are getting frustrated and people don't know who to believe.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"I'm fed up with the government one second they are getting everyone's hope's up saying the vaccine is working well and then today Whitty is saying it's a long way from being over its no wonder people are getting frustrated and people don't know who to believe. "

Just don't believe BoJo...

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

I think both statements sound correct. The vaccination roll out appears to be a success but there's still a long way to go.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think both statements sound correct. The vaccination roll out appears to be a success but there's still a long way to go."

The two statements are in no way contradictory

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

Morons the lot of them.

chesterfield

It just gets me down

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The Tory government main tactic is to keep the fear going.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

So far the numbers seem to be going down and schools reopening this week, so it seems to be heading in the right direction and on schedule for reopening everthing

"The Tory government main tactic is to keep the fear going."

What fear ?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

A complex, huge problem will typically not just have 1 outcome, nor 1 that a chronic problem will have a very definite timescale for.

Think what's part of this complexity - over 60 million people who manage each of their day to day lives. Plus a brand new virus that we just have a few months experience of. Just those 2 basic factors should stop anyone thinking that there's cut glass clarity over how this problem becomes magically cleared in a few weeks.

The vaccines are new too. We think we know how they'll affect things, ie tens of millions of people but those people are a bit random.

The experts inform government, aided by data. The government may or may not follow their lead - they didn't last year!!

It would have been foolish to have pretended to know precisely how things will progress, with so many factors at play.

More so when we are about to start doing some of the things we did last year that made numbers increase not fall.

We've just had 1 relaxation and a few more will follow after a MINIMUM 5 weeks gap between them. It's driven by data, not dates.

We're near the end of what should be the last lockdown. All the more reason to get it right. Thinking it's all certain is facile. If we don't do things based on the real world facts as they become known, we are stupid. Hang in there. Yes it's tough but it looks like we can more fully relax in just a few weeks. There's no certainty, there can't be.

By *idsguy4funMan  over a year ago

Lingfield

When you look at the state the rest or Europe is in and consider the complexity of the issue, I think they scientific advisors and the government are doing a bloody good job! Well done!

By *perfectpair5050Couple  over a year ago

marlbourgh

You explain it then not some bullshit YouTube video personally think the government have done a good job

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

A long way from over doesn't mean us finding ways to Iive with this, the data from the infection trials need to be finished and analysed so we have a better understanding of how it transmits and infects people, if we overwhelm the nhs again we roll the mutations dice more frequently, this is the time to be patient. Not something we are great at unfortunately

By *hropmMan  over a year ago

shrewsbury

"I'm fed up with the government one second they are getting everyone's hope's up saying the vaccine is working well and then today Whitty is saying it's a long way from being over its no wonder people are getting frustrated and people don't know who to believe.

Just don't believe BoJo..."

At the end of the day bo jo is just relaying what his advisers tell him not what think personally thinks there's a lot of people telling him what to do . Haveing said that now schools are back watch it all start to rise again

"I think both statements sound correct. The vaccination roll out appears to be a success but there's still a long way to go."

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

We got a "Government" ..when that happen ?? ..

I am not a political person, I have no affiliation with any party, but right now around the globe leaders are making very tough choices, and not one of us would be in any of the four nations as leaders, we talk about the NHS, but the politicians, scientists, biologists, police, have had incredibly hard jobs to deal with this past year, other workers have also kept the country ticking over, we are a petulant, self entitled country that needs to take a long hard look at our self's, and stop the complaining, the winging and be thankful we are not in Syria or other some god awful country now that is a nightmare.. Start appreciating the little things in life, if you think you could do better then stand up and run for parliament if not then just work with people to make it work..

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

"I am not a political person, I have no affiliation with any party, but right now around the globe leaders are making very tough choices, and not one of us would be in any of the four nations as leaders, we talk about the NHS, but the politicians, scientists, biologists, police, have had incredibly hard jobs to deal with this past year, other workers have also kept the country ticking over, we are a petulant, self entitled country that needs to take a long hard look at our self's, and stop the complaining, the winging and be thankful we are not in Syria or other some god awful country now that is a nightmare.. Start appreciating the little things in life, if you think you could do better then stand up and run for parliament if not then just work with people to make it work.. "

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"I am not a political person, I have no affiliation with any party, but right now around the globe leaders are making very tough choices, and not one of us would be in any of the four nations as leaders, we talk about the NHS, but the politicians, scientists, biologists, police, have had incredibly hard jobs to deal with this past year, other workers have also kept the country ticking over, we are a petulant, self entitled country that needs to take a long hard look at our self's, and stop the complaining, the winging and be thankful we are not in Syria or other some god awful country now that is a nightmare.. Start appreciating the little things in life, if you think you could do better then stand up and run for parliament if not then just work with people to make it work.. "
Well said.

"I'm fed up with the government one second they are getting everyone's hope's up saying the vaccine is working well and then today Whitty is saying it's a long way from being over its no wonder people are getting frustrated and people don't know who to believe. "

What Whitty said was that:

1) The pandemic is far from over - He's correct, the clue is in the word 'pandemic' it's worldwide and we've got little or no control of how other countries are doing with it. So even 'if' we got it down to zero levels here it wouldn't mean it's over.

2) It is likely there will be another surge in the virus. "As things are opening up, what all the modelling suggests is that at some point we will get a surge in virus." - Again, it's common sense. You ease restrictions at a cost, the huge difference this time is the vaccination program and it's phenomenal success. Plus science already working on boosters to better deal with variants.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"I'm fed up with the government one second they are getting everyone's hope's up saying the vaccine is working well and then today Whitty is saying it's a long way from being over its no wonder people are getting frustrated and people don't know who to believe.

Just don't believe BoJo...

At the end of the day bo jo is just relaying what his advisers tell him not what think personally thinks there's a lot of people telling him what to do . Haveing said that now schools are back watch it all start to rise again "

Schools aren't fully back in Scotland until 22nd April so let's see what impact English figures are compared to Scottish.

What was noticeable from last year is that Scottish and English cases started to rise at the same time despite the Scottish schools going back after summer 3 weeks earlier. Also, after the initial rise, cases dropped mid nov into early Dec. Schools were all open as usual.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

the weakest government and weakest leader in living memory

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

Uhh, so to summarise, shut up because it could be worse.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

Perhaps all the negative doom and gloom moaners and whiners, might like to form their own political party

As some have said, the two statements are true.

The vaccination programme is working, however people still need to be mindful when restrictions continue to be lifted. It's not over yet, and we need to remember this.

He's just trying to reinforce this I feel.

The government is going a grand job of managing this unknown crisis.

If the wingers think they can do better crack on and sort it

Perfect.

Many thanks.

By *aekaeWoman  over a year ago

Between a cock and a soft place

Whitty isn't the government, he's an expert advisor.

I don't see a contradiction in the 2 statements.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

"I am not a political person, I have no affiliation with any party, but right now around the globe leaders are making very tough choices, and not one of us would be in any of the four nations as leaders, we talk about the NHS, but the politicians, scientists, biologists, police, have had incredibly hard jobs to deal with this past year, other workers have also kept the country ticking over, we are a petulant, self entitled country that needs to take a long hard look at our self's, and stop the complaining, the winging and be thankful we are not in Syria or other some god awful country now that is a nightmare.. Start appreciating the little things in life, if you think you could do better then stand up and run for parliament if not then just work with people to make it work..

Uhh, so to summarise, shut up because it could be worse."

So to summarise, look positively on the many people who are helping the rest of us and doing the job we could not do ourselves .

I think the vaccine will work but it is still very early days in collating information as to its transmission and protection that it offers to everyone. Plus with new strains emerging that the vaccine may not be as effective with, this will make the scientists and politicians move forward with caution. All they can do is offer possible dates for holidays and such. But all people can do is iapply ozone common sense to their guidance and not take their forecast on when and if as gospel

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

Manchester (she/her)

"I am not a political person, I have no affiliation with any party, but right now around the globe leaders are making very tough choices, and not one of us would be in any of the four nations as leaders, we talk about the NHS, but the politicians, scientists, biologists, police, have had incredibly hard jobs to deal with this past year, other workers have also kept the country ticking over, we are a petulant, self entitled country that needs to take a long hard look at our self's, and stop the complaining, the winging and be thankful we are not in Syria or other some god awful country now that is a nightmare.. Start appreciating the little things in life, if you think you could do better then stand up and run for parliament if not then just work with people to make it work..

I think working to improve the situation you're in includes talking about what's wrong. And just because other people have it worse doesn't mean we can't improve our own situation.

Not everyone is cut out for politics, and we can all say and do different things to improve our situation. Some of us *are* working on it in our own ways.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

It is working well but it is far from over. There are over 5000 new cases a day at the moment. Therefore, far from a point of ‘normality’.

Yeah totally agree with that, there all clowns and never tell us the honest truth. There's been so many inconsistencies surrounding this pandemic. Is anyone going to be held accountable for the pandemic ie. China? They are actually denying that it originated from them now. And blaming it on someone from Europe coming into there country with it.

Manchester (she/her)

"Yeah totally agree with that, there all clowns and never tell us the honest truth. There's been so many inconsistencies surrounding this pandemic. Is anyone going to be held accountable for the pandemic ie. China? They are actually denying that it originated from them now. And blaming it on someone from Europe coming into there country with it."

The evidence points to the virus jumping from bats. Shit happens, as it were.

If a robin in Surrey set off a global pandemic, there's no way anyone in the UK would be saying it was England's fault

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

people wandering across the borders from brazil without being checked and then disappearing shows how the last year has made the government a well oiled machine .... good job they contacted the authorities to be fair as government would be doing the usual still be running around like headless chickens without a clue

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"It is working well but it is far from over. There are over 5000 new cases a day at the moment. Therefore, far from a point of ‘normality’. "

Considering the number of daily tests is rising considerably, the number of positive results is stabilising and in fact reducing. The next couple of weeks will be interesting.

Whitty is very wary since the government have been saying they were ‘following the science’ and has been trying to walk a very fine line of being as honest as he can be whilst having to cope with a government that has a record of over promising.

He has an unenviable job.

By *ungBlackTopMan  over a year ago

salford

If people behaved less selfishly and followed the rules instead of thinking they know best we wouldn't be in this rollercoaster mess. None of us general population can do the job of anyone in the government so it annoys the hell out of me when people criticise as if they know better.

By *ames_LondonMan  over a year ago

Deal

"Yeah totally agree with that, there all clowns and never tell us the honest truth. There's been so many inconsistencies surrounding this pandemic. Is anyone going to be held accountable for the pandemic ie. China? They are actually denying that it originated from them now. And blaming it on someone from Europe coming into there country with it.

If a robin in Surrey set off a global pandemic, there's no way anyone in the UK would be saying it was England's fault "

I am not sure eating Robins is typical in this country. Shit does happen but I might suggest encouraging China to improve its food safety standards might be appropriate

By *andelgriffinMan  over a year ago

Leics

We should try to adopt a balanced view of things, particularly one as complex as a pandemic and all the economic, social, diplomatic and other factors involved. Criticism is the easiest thing to do, anyone can do it. We should recognise the successes of the UK government along with its low points.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

I would say people need to stop taking what the government say literally.. It seems as soon as someone sets a provisional date for something everyone assumes its going to happen then.. What people Re choosing to ignore is that the govt have said that nothing is guaranteed.. So we won't get a magic ' everything is open date'.. It all depends on what happens in the review.. GS this morning again made it clear people need to be cautious and not book holidays.. Yet everyone is already planning ahead for them when they very easily will need to be postponed again..

I'm very sceptical of anything the govt have said regarding the great unlocking.. And I pretty much doubt we will all be out of lockdown when they say we will..at the very least I would be looking at April 12 th before I was sure things are going to start to open..

Generally I suggest everyone stops getting excited and takes a bit of a reality check on things for the next few months

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"When you look at the state the rest or Europe is in and consider the complexity of the issue, I think they scientific advisors and the government are doing a bloody good job! Well done! "

Manchester (she/her)

"Yeah totally agree with that, there all clowns and never tell us the honest truth. There's been so many inconsistencies surrounding this pandemic. Is anyone going to be held accountable for the pandemic ie. China? They are actually denying that it originated from them now. And blaming it on someone from Europe coming into there country with it.

If a robin in Surrey set off a global pandemic, there's no way anyone in the UK would be saying it was England's fault

I am not sure eating Robins is typical in this country. Shit does happen but I might suggest encouraging China to improve its food safety standards might be appropriate "

That sound was the point sailing over your head

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"Perhaps all the negative doom and gloom moaners and whiners, might like to form their own political party "

Deal

I am not sure eating Robins is typical in this country. Shit does happen but I might suggest encouraging China to improve its food safety standards might be appropriate

That sound was the point sailing over your head"

No it wasn’t. It is clearly nonsense to suggest that the UK would cover up the source of a virus when it is pretty obvious where it started.

Manchester (she/her)

No it wasn’t. It is clearly nonsense to suggest that the UK would cover up the source of a virus when it is pretty obvious where it started. "

Did I mention a cover-up?

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

It's all a matter of reading and educating yourself on the virus and vaccinations.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

So many people trying to blame Governments and countries for this.

The Covid virus is to blame.

Manchester (she/her)

"So many people trying to blame Governments and countries for this.

The Covid virus is to blame.

"

Within that we can look at various human responses, though.

Deal

No it wasn’t. It is clearly nonsense to suggest that the UK would cover up the source of a virus when it is pretty obvious where it started.

Did I mention a cover-up?"

You were suggesting that if a robin in surrey set off a global pandemic, no one in the UK would blame England. I suggested that they would if people in England had been eating robins and there would likely to be an admission that the poor food safety standards needed to be improved and the practice banned, particularly if the same food safety standards had given rise to previous new viruses. In China’s case they have said nothing to see here, no changes required and it probably didn’t start here anyway so in my view worthy of some criticism. I see you like to debate by mocking the person you are talking to then using semantics to claim you didn’t mean what you said in the first place.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

I am not sure eating Robins is typical in this country. Shit does happen but I might suggest encouraging China to improve its food safety standards might be appropriate "

Remember "mad cow" disease? I wouldn't call out other countries about their eating habits...

Deal

Remember "mad cow" disease? I wouldn't call out other countries about their eating habits..."

I’m fairly sure that was admitted and changes made to stop it happening again

Stop being annoyed at the government and start being annoyed at the media.

Chris Witty didn’t say it in a negative way and he was prompted and pushed into giving those answers by MP’s. He actually was very reassuring that things will never be as bad as they have been and he’s confident that life will be normal.

I’ve started watching debates and reading studies directly now, rather than relying on the news. It’s incredible how differently things are portrayed compared with what actually was said

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

"It just gets me down "

in what way?

the vaccine is not a cure it only lowers the symptoms you can still catch it and transmit it

Chris Witty didn’t say it in a negative way and he was prompted and pushed into giving those answers by MP’s. He actually was very reassuring that things will never be as bad as they have been and he’s confident that life will be normal.

I’ve started watching debates and reading studies directly now, rather than relying on the news. It’s incredible how differently things are portrayed compared with what actually was said "

Well it might be worth looking at the most recent study by the UK parliament committee on Test and trace. Basically only two people have been contacted ( and asked to isolate) for every person testing positive since test and trace began. A two to one ratio. In Vietnam it is 17:1. You cannot have an effective test and trace without tracing more than just two people per positive case. You need boots on the ground going door to door asking for contacts. Public health Authorities ( they should be funded to do so)are better trained to do this rather than a privately hired company ( Serco). It’s still there. It’s cost £37 Billion so far. £16 Billion budgeted next year. You and I are going to pay for this. Most importantly, it is not fit for purpose and I wonder if it’s ever going to be.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"It's all a matter of reading and educating yourself on the virus and vaccinations."

Doing something for ourselves? Fuck that....i demand one of the govt attend to my every need immediately.

By *urNaughtyHobbyCouple  over a year ago

Confidential Information

"The Tory government main tactic is to keep the fear going."

The Tory governments main tactic is to keep money falling into possession of themselves and their friends

Tin town

"The Tory government main tactic is to keep the fear going.

The Tory governments main tactic is to keep money falling into possession of themselves and their friends"

Yes and they do that best by keeping us all locked down and shrinking the economy... Its obvious

I’ve started watching debates and reading studies directly now, rather than relying on the news. It’s incredible how differently things are portrayed compared with what actually was said

Well it might be worth looking at the most recent study by the UK parliament committee on Test and trace. Basically only two people have been contacted ( and asked to isolate) for every person testing positive since test and trace began. A two to one ratio. In Vietnam it is 17:1. You cannot have an effective test and trace without tracing more than just two people per positive case. You need boots on the ground going door to door asking for contacts. Public health Authorities ( they should be funded to do so)are better trained to do this rather than a privately hired company ( Serco). It’s still there. It’s cost £37 Billion so far. £16 Billion budgeted next year. You and I are going to pay for this. Most importantly, it is not fit for purpose and I wonder if it’s ever going to be."

Not sure what that has to do with me but ok

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

"I'm fed up with the government one second they are getting everyone's hope's up saying the vaccine is working well and then today Whitty is saying it's a long way from being over its no wonder people are getting frustrated and people don't know who to believe. the vaccine is not a cure it only lowers the symptoms you can still catch it and transmit it "

Currently data shows 80-90% chance of immunity from catching it and if you are unlucky then the viral load will be significantly reduced to the point where transmission may not happen.

"When you look at the state the rest or Europe is in and consider the complexity of the issue, I think they scientific advisors and the government are doing a bloody good job! Well done! "

So giving £millions to mates companies for failed track and trace, non existant PPE, closing Nightingale hospitals because of no staff to man them and any more cock ups is a "good job" is it?

Tin town

Well it might be worth looking at the most recent study by the UK parliament committee on Test and trace. Basically only two people have been contacted ( and asked to isolate) for every person testing positive since test and trace began. A two to one ratio. In Vietnam it is 17:1. You cannot have an effective test and trace without tracing more than just two people per positive case. You need boots on the ground going door to door asking for contacts. Public health Authorities ( they should be funded to do so)are better trained to do this rather than a privately hired company ( Serco). It’s still there. It’s cost £37 Billion so far. £16 Billion budgeted next year. You and I are going to pay for this. Most importantly, it is not fit for purpose and I wonder if it’s ever going to be.

Not sure what that has to do with me but ok "

Just a thought.... But... See those 1m plus free tests a day? All the lab techs and labs and chemicals and swabs are all being provided free and they cost nothing right? I mean we all expect people to work for free no? All those 1000s of test centres around the country, well they are all staffed and run for free too...

And all those people who are not using the app to help track and trace.. Well they aren't in anyway part of the reason that we aren't able to track and trace more effectively.

Oh and let's not forget those folks who refuse to provide accurate contact details or isolate when told to.

Apart from that it's all someone else's fault.

The Tory governments main tactic is to keep money falling into possession of themselves and their friends

Yes and they do that best by keeping us all locked down and shrinking the economy... Its obvious "

Very true and it's totally working

KERCHIIING!! Loadsa money

Generally, they are a shower of bastards

Just a thought.... But... See those 1m plus free tests a day? All the lab techs and labs and chemicals and swabs are all being provided free and they cost nothing right? I mean we all expect people to work for free no? All those 1000s of test centres around the country, well they are all staffed and run for free too...

And all those people who are not using the app to help track and trace.. Well they aren't in anyway part of the reason that we aren't able to track and trace more effectively.

Oh and let's not forget those folks who refuse to provide accurate contact details or isolate when told to.

Apart from that it's all someone else's fault. "

I agree people are not coming forward for testing but the main reason for that is that they cannot afford to isolate for 10 days- more support needs to given for people to isolate without the threat of losing their job.

I have no doubt that all the testing costs money - my beef is with the 2,500 consultants be paid on average £1100 a day ( highest is £6 k a day).

It’s just not good value for money and not very transparent.

Stockport

I agree people are not coming forward for testing but the main reason for that is that they cannot afford to isolate for 10 days- more support needs to given for people to isolate without the threat of losing their job.

I have no doubt that all the testing costs money - my beef is with the 2,500 consultants be paid on average £1100 a day ( highest is £6 k a day).

It’s just not good value for money and not very transparent."

What the fuck does a consultant do to be worth £6k a day? What magic do they perform to be paid going on for 100 times more than some of the minimum wage people that are actually doing the grunt work of the testing? Fuck me, at that rate most people in this country would only have to work 5 days to get their entire annual income.

There is absolutely ZERO justification for any publicly paid employee to receive that amount of taxpayers money. Every single penny of that money should be retrieved, taken from the personal coffers of those that handed out contracts to their relatives and friends if necessary, and passed to people that have actually helped save lives this last twelve months.

[Before someone has a go at me, no I am not saying to take back money from low paid people that have worked their fannies off doing actual testing, and trying to do actual tracing. The money should be taken back from all the bogus consultants and "framework creators" and "paradigm shifters", all those who do bugger all for phenomenally inflated pay. Allow them to keep minimum wage rate for any hours they really did work - which I'm guessing would mean leaving zero for those taking the 6k daily and no doubt doing bugger all actual work.]

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

chin up britain, we have the blighter on the run.... guess we lost all that as a nation, now.... its not fair... lol

"I think both statements sound correct. The vaccination roll out appears to be a success but there's still a long way to go.

The two statements are in no way contradictory"

"It just gets me down "

it’s getting lots of people down but while there are plenty things the govt has to accept blame for i don’t think the things in your OP fall into that category

there isn’t one country in the world that doesn’t still have a long way to go - covid is not eliminated so until everyone is vaccinated that is just an unfortunate fact

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

He is reminding you to be carefull it is all good.Probably be restrictions for years and Boris does tell you this but you just interpret it as you want it to be then blame him.

The covid crisis will rule are lives for a very long time

upton wirral

"I think both statements sound correct. The vaccination roll out appears to be a success but there's still a long way to go.

The two statements are in no way contradictory

"

By *losernow69Man  over a year ago

Melksham

"I'm fed up with the government one second they are getting everyone's hope's up saying the vaccine is working well and then today Whitty is saying it's a long way from being over its no wonder people are getting frustrated and people don't know who to believe. the vaccine is not a cure it only lowers the symptoms you can still catch it and transmit it "

So what is the point in the jab?

Tin town

It’s just not good value for money and not very transparent."

100% agree on the "consultants"... Wonder how many will be hit with ir35 liabilities... Suspect not many

Manchester (she/her)

"I'm fed up with the government one second they are getting everyone's hope's up saying the vaccine is working well and then today Whitty is saying it's a long way from being over its no wonder people are getting frustrated and people don't know who to believe. the vaccine is not a cure it only lowers the symptoms you can still catch it and transmit it

So what is the point in the jab?"

Proven to reduce severe disease, hospitalisation and death.

May also prevent infection and transmission, studies pending.

So, you know, getting our society back, stopping people dying horrifically, reducing PTSD in the NHS...

Don't believe any of the lying bastards

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"When you look at the state the rest or Europe is in and consider the complexity of the issue, I think they scientific advisors and the government are doing a bloody good job! Well done!

So giving £millions to mates companies for failed track and trace, non existant PPE, closing Nightingale hospitals because of no staff to man them and any more cock ups is a "good job" is it? "

Track and trace has not failed, they are tracing people but not the numbers they thought they would, which could be for several reasons, 1 not enough have downloaded the app 2 most people are social distancing and therefore dont trigger the system to make a tracking request.

As for ppe no country had enough at the beginning and as has been said many times the government do not order ppe for the NHS, the buyers do that, the government only got involved when the shortage evolved, I agree that they could have got involved earlier but hindsight is wonderful, I dont recall anyone from the media, opposition or fab experts saying this in early jan.

There was enough staff for the nightingale hospitals, K is nhs but not in direct nursing, she and all her colleagues were allocated to which one they would have worked in and whether they would travel daily or stay in hotels etc, they werent ever called on as very few beds in the nightingales were needed, but hey why let facts get in the way of the truth.

Tin town

"When you look at the state the rest or Europe is in and consider the complexity of the issue, I think they scientific advisors and the government are doing a bloody good job! Well done!

So giving £millions to mates companies for failed track and trace, non existant PPE, closing Nightingale hospitals because of no staff to man them and any more cock ups is a "good job" is it?

Track and trace has not failed, they are tracing people but not the numbers they thought they would, which could be for several reasons, 1 not enough have downloaded the app 2 most people are social distancing and therefore dont trigger the system to make a tracking request.

As for ppe no country had enough at the beginning and as has been said many times the government do not order ppe for the NHS, the buyers do that, the government only got involved when the shortage evolved, I agree that they could have got involved earlier but hindsight is wonderful, I dont recall anyone from the media, opposition or fab experts saying this in early jan.

There was enough staff for the nightingale hospitals, K is nhs but not in direct nursing, she and all her colleagues were allocated to which one they would have worked in and whether they would travel daily or stay in hotels etc, they werent ever called on as very few beds in the nightingales were needed, but hey why let facts get in the way of the truth."

But but but...

You're pushing water uphill there i fear. If you shout stuff loudly and often enough it becomes the truth.

Apart from that it's all someone else's fault. "

Still failing to see how that relates to my point but get it off your chest babe x

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Yes and they do that best by keeping us all locked down and shrinking the economy... Its obvious

KERCHIIING!! Loadsa money"

Speaking of contradictory statements...what benefit would short term money gains be, if the economy is being shrunk by the government...who would therefore be eroding their tax base at the same time..

Tin town

Speaking of contradictory statements...what benefit would short term money gains be, if the economy is being shrunk by the government...who would therefore be eroding their tax base at the same time.."

It would seem that shrinking the economy and making less money is in the tory govts and all its minions interests... It is a time of change indeed.

upton wirral

Speaking of contradictory statements...what benefit would short term money gains be, if the economy is being shrunk by the government...who would therefore be eroding their tax base at the same time..

It would seem that shrinking the economy and making less money is in the tory govts and all its minions interests... It is a time of change indeed. "

Unbelievable no government want to shrink an economy that is otal garbage

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

They're managing expectations because since they announced the road map a lot of people have started relaxing things already!

The amount of guys who repeatedly act surprised when I say I'm not meeting until lockdown is over is astounding.

Tin town

It would seem that shrinking the economy and making less money is in the tory govts and all its minions interests... It is a time of change indeed. Unbelievable no government want to shrink an economy that is otal garbage"

Well... You'd think so wouldn't you but clearly others have an inside track

It would seem that shrinking the economy and making less money is in the tory govts and all its minions interests... It is a time of change indeed. "

To kill off the middle class for a two tier system of the ruling elite controlling the lower class.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

It would seem that shrinking the economy and making less money is in the tory govts and all its minions interests... It is a time of change indeed.

To kill off the middle class for a two tier system of the ruling elite controlling the lower class."

Oh now I see, Bozo is actually Corbin...someone should tell the Daily Heil..

By *ick_and_BickerCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

Yes and they do that best by keeping us all locked down and shrinking the economy... Its obvious "

It does make me chuckle when people make statements like that.

How do some people have so little grasp of economics?

M

Manchester (she/her)

M"

It fits their current agenda. (They, the people with no notion of economics)

Tin town

M"

Just letting this one run on a bit...

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

"Perhaps all the negative doom and gloom moaners and whiners, might like to form their own political party "
well said, we need something to look forward to, I read they are closing down the Nightingale hospitals

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

If this is what a good job looks like, its terrifying to think what some people consider a"handling it badly' situation would look like.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"If this is what a good job looks like, its terrifying to think what some people consider a"handling it badly' situation would look like."

Some set the bar way too low, when they award their praise

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

To kill off the middle class for a two tier system of the ruling elite controlling the lower class."

The cunning plan of trying to achieve what you reckon sort of falls on its arse when you look at the demographics of whom has been effected to a much higher degree in this pandemic..

Clue, it ain't the middle class..

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

No, shut up or stand up

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"If this is what a good job looks like, its terrifying to think what some people consider a"handling it badly' situation would look like.

Some set the bar way too low, when they award their praise"

It would seem that for some people you cannot criticise the Govt - so for them the bar is on the floor!

"If this is what a good job looks like, its terrifying to think what some people consider a"handling it badly' situation would look like.

It would seem that for some people you cannot criticise the Govt - so for them the bar is on the floor! "

There is the common misconception that no government could have prepared its self for this pandemic.

However the truth is that the Cygnyus report from 2016( a mock trial pandemic- across all departments including the NHS) showed that we were hopelessly under prepared for Covid-19. The only think we can be grateful for is that the case fatality rate for Covid is relatively low compared to other respiratory viruses( eg Nipah)..

We actually had time to get ready for this and wasted it.

By *eekendsCouple  over a year ago

Darlington

if their lips are moving they are lying, never known a government like this tory lot, they lie so much even they forget their lies, and when a lie is coming out they put up a week back bencher up as cannon fodder,

They cannot afford a pay rise for NHS but they can afford some whimsical idea they have thought up overnight

Darlington

Anyone who clapped for the NHS stand up and be counted if you really meant it or was it just to show the neighbours what nice people you are ?????

I personally didnt because I work for nhs but just didnt believe in the idea , knew it was a political sham, disgusting

Tin town

It would seem that for some people you cannot criticise the Govt - so for them the bar is on the floor! "

There's not very many (or any) who are saying you cannot criticise the govt. I don't think you should confuse people advocate for understanding the consequences of their actions, taking responsibility for their own decisions, with saying the govt have been faultless. They most definitely have not been faultless, at times they have been dreadful. At others they've done well...but at the end of the day, we are the ones choosing to spread it, to carry on working when we know we are infected and so on... We are the ones running and managing the companies insisting on office working... Or attending work when I'll... And you can't blame anyone else for that. We all have a part to play. What is frustrating is those that think 6k new infections as day and 200 horrible deaths a day are acceptable.

Chudleigh

It would seem that for some people you cannot criticise the Govt - so for them the bar is on the floor!

There's not very many (or any) who are saying you cannot criticise the govt. I don't think you should confuse people advocate for understanding the consequences of their actions, taking responsibility for their own decisions, with saying the govt have been faultless. They most definitely have not been faultless, at times they have been dreadful. At others they've done well...but at the end of the day, we are the ones choosing to spread it, to carry on working when we know we are infected and so on... We are the ones running and managing the companies insisting on office working... Or attending work when I'll... And you can't blame anyone else for that. We all have a part to play. What is frustrating is those that think 6k new infections as day and 200 horrible deaths a day are acceptable. "

Agreed that we all have a part to play, however in a crisis we depend on our Leadership. Our Leaders have denied, confused, downplayed and ignored many of the problems. Apart from Trump & Bolsonaro our Govt is up there as the worst in the world at responding to Covid - the only redeeming thing has been ordering vaccines early.

There's not very many (or any) who are saying you cannot criticise the govt. I don't think you should confuse people advocate for understanding the consequences of their actions, taking responsibility for their own decisions, with saying the govt have been faultless. They most definitely have not been faultless, at times they have been dreadful. At others they've done well...but at the end of the day, we are the ones choosing to spread it, to carry on working when we know we are infected and so on... We are the ones running and managing the companies insisting on office working... Or attending work when I'll... And you can't blame anyone else for that. We all have a part to play. What is frustrating is those that think 6k new infections as day and 200 horrible deaths a day are acceptable. "

Tin town

There's not very many (or any) who are saying you cannot criticise the govt. I don't think you should confuse people advocate for understanding the consequences of their actions, taking responsibility for their own decisions, with saying the govt have been faultless. They most definitely have not been faultless, at times they have been dreadful. At others they've done well...but at the end of the day, we are the ones choosing to spread it, to carry on working when we know we are infected and so on... We are the ones running and managing the companies insisting on office working... Or attending work when I'll... And you can't blame anyone else for that. We all have a part to play. What is frustrating is those that think 6k new infections as day and 200 horrible deaths a day are acceptable.

Agreed that we all have a part to play, however in a crisis we depend on our Leadership. Our Leaders have denied, confused, downplayed and ignored many of the problems. Apart from Trump & Bolsonaro our Govt is up there as the worst in the world at responding to Covid - the only redeeming thing has been ordering vaccines early."

This has a long way to go yet. Many have already chosen to assume its over because we have a plan with some wish list dates on it. I'm not sure we are the worst in the world. I would agree we have been at time slow, directionless, poor communication, (the whole corruption / nepotism thing as well)... But I will also say I'm not sure many countries are as fragmented, fat, unhealthy, selfish, ill disciplined as ours is..

The irony is that at the start of this, they were rabbits caught in headlights.. We have amateurs voted into positions of power, and clearly didn't have a clue... We have scientists promoted to be decision makers...

Now 12 months on... I would imagine they have learned much and are in a better position to dig us out of this hole, the irony being... We the public can't wait to kick them out on their arses when they are now (emphasise now) probably the best equipped to do it.

There are two issues there

1. A lack of decent financial support for those who need to self isolate- sick pay is not enough.

2. As already been pointed out in Sage- Employers need to be audited more that they are being Covid safe in the workplace-

with PHE involvement, again this should have been sorted ages ago.

Agreed that we all have a part to play, however in a crisis we depend on our Leadership. Our Leaders have denied, confused, downplayed and ignored many of the problems. Apart from Trump & Bolsonaro our Govt is up there as the worst in the world at responding to Covid - the only redeeming thing has been ordering vaccines early."

in a crisis we have to look to our leadership to lead absolutely and on some of that they have failed, but in a crisis we also have to pull together

a couple of hundred people sat in westminister can only influence the rest of the country through a combination if legislation, guidelines and setting a good example, they cannot personally stop our bodies being vehicles to spread the virus - only we can do that ourselves

1. A lack of decent financial support for those who need to self isolate- sick pay is not enough.

2. As already been pointed out in Sage- Employers need to be audited more that they are being Covid safe in the workplace-

with PHE involvement, again this should have been sorted ages ago."

i would be interested to see statistics on just how many people with the virus are currently entitled to only ssp

between furlough, public sector contracts and some private sector who pay full sick pay, people working from home and the number of people self employed who are meant to price anticipating covering their own sick and holidays anyway, how high is the percentage that this ssp issue really affects?

Tin town

with PHE involvement, again this should have been sorted ages ago."

Re 2...yes and no... We have a culture of greed and selfishness. Make the right decision not the selfish decision. So yes we can police them...or better still, those Companies are being run by people... Like us.. Blame the people who are breaking the law rather than other people who haven't peeped behind their curtains.

And yes I agree... When breaches are found, take the directors to the cleaners.

i would be interested to see statistics on just how many people with the virus are currently entitled to only ssp

between furlough, public sector contracts and some private sector who pay full sick pay, people working from home and the number of people self employed who are meant to price anticipating covering their own sick and holidays anyway, how high is the percentage that this ssp issue really affects? "

oh snd students and the unemployed and full time carers

just to clarify - i know there are people who are genuinely impacted by this - and for them personally i dont want to downplay it

but realistically i think the scale of that issue is not large enough to he attributed to the main cause of cases still so high

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I think the roadmap for opening things up, is not one that is set in stone. It all depends on the infection rate, if it goes up lockdown could be extended.

Re 2...yes and no... We have a culture of greed and selfishness. Make the right decision not the selfish decision. So yes we can police them...or better still, those Companies are being run by people... Like us.. Blame the people who are breaking the law rather than other people who haven't peeped behind their curtains.

And yes I agree... When breaches are found, take the directors to the cleaners. "

Re 2:

Although you are right : employers/ directors should make the right decisions ( morally) however legally there is not a punitive enough punishment structure present yet- it needs urgent legislation.

By *idsguy4funMan  over a year ago

Lingfield

"I think the roadmap for opening things up, is not one that is set in stone. It all depends on the infection rate, if it goes up lockdown could be extended. "

It will be extended, the decline in daily cases has already levelled out because people are already thinking and acting like it’s over!!

Chudleigh

Agreed that we all have a part to play, however in a crisis we depend on our Leadership. Our Leaders have denied, confused, downplayed and ignored many of the problems. Apart from Trump & Bolsonaro our Govt is up there as the worst in the world at responding to Covid - the only redeeming thing has been ordering vaccines early.

in a crisis we have to look to our leadership to lead absolutely and on some of that they have failed, but in a crisis we also have to pull together

a couple of hundred people sat in westminister can only influence the rest of the country through a combination if legislation, guidelines and setting a good example, they cannot personally stop our bodies being vehicles to spread the virus - only we can do that ourselves "

I have to disagree on the couple of hundred in Westminster can only influence & whilst they’ve made mistakes they’ve learnt & are now in a good position to get it right.

The Cabinet and Junior Ministers run the show and the Tory Party just follow along, so it is only really about 50 people who lead the Govt. Mostly it is only the Cabinet who decide on Policy. The Govt problem is they had no policy to start with - they ignored the Cygnus results, assumed it would be a light flu, allowed Cheltenham and other super spreader events to go ahead, Boriscwent around shaking peoples hands, they talked up herd immunity, they had no PPE stock, etc. The Govt created the environment for Covid to take hold early - sorry, I forgot, they never bothered to test the millions going through our airports! The Govt set the tone, got it wildly wrong and continues to do so.

All they have got right is ordering the vacvines (any vaccine!) early. This does not bring back the dead.

In terms of now they are best placed to get it right as they have learnt from their mistakes - how about £37bn for Test & Trace and 1% pay rise for the NHS? They are collectively idiots, led by a buffoon.

By *odgerMan  over a year ago

Coventry(ish)/London

Err...worst death rate in Europe..very well done.

a couple of hundred people sat in westminister can only influence the rest of the country through a combination if legislation, guidelines and setting a good example, they cannot personally stop our bodies being vehicles to spread the virus - only we can do that ourselves

I have to disagree on the couple of hundred in Westminster can only influence & whilst they’ve made mistakes they’ve learnt & are now in a good position to get it right.

The Cabinet and Junior Ministers run the show and the Tory Party just follow along, so it is only really about 50 people who lead the Govt. Mostly it is only the Cabinet who decide on Policy. The Govt problem is they had no policy to start with - they ignored the Cygnus results, assumed it would be a light flu, allowed Cheltenham and other super spreader events to go ahead, Boriscwent around shaking peoples hands, they talked up herd immunity, they had no PPE stock, etc. The Govt created the environment for Covid to take hold early - sorry, I forgot, they never bothered to test the millions going through our airports! The Govt set the tone, got it wildly wrong and continues to do so.

All they have got right is ordering the vacvines (any vaccine!) early. This does not bring back the dead.

In terms of now they are best placed to get it right as they have learnt from their mistakes - how about £37bn for Test & Trace and 1% pay rise for the NHS? They are collectively idiots, led by a buffoon."

cool story, but the statement you disagreed with i never actually said - read back and show me where i said they learned and are now making it right?

i said the govt have to lead and on some of that they failed - you listed their failures

i said a couple of hundred people in westminister can only influence through legislation, guidelines and setting a good example - you’ve decided its 50 (maybe we should just get rid of all the other MPs and civil servants then seems like they get paid for nothing) but 50 or a couple hundred the point remains the same - short of implementing martial law they cannot physically control peoples movements- we gotta do that ourselves

liverpool

Been loads of stuff locally about the lpool athletico match last year.

A fella went to the game,walked through the away fans and a little while later he was dead.

Quite why that game was allowed to go ahead is quite astonishing, seeing as what was happening in Spain at the time.

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

"Been loads of stuff locally about the lpool athletico match last year.

A fella went to the game,walked through the away fans and a little while later he was dead.

Quite why that game was allowed to go ahead is quite astonishing, seeing as what was happening in Spain at the time."

From catching Covid to dieing that has to be the quickest death.

liverpool

Quite why that game was allowed to go ahead is quite astonishing, seeing as what was happening in Spain at the time.

From catching Covid to dieing that has to be the quickest death. "

It was a few weeks later.

But glad you find it amusing.

oldham

Quite why that game was allowed to go ahead is quite astonishing, seeing as what was happening in Spain at the time."

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time Boris was still going round shaking everyone's hand.

But yes unbelievable they allowed those fans over

But glad you find it amusing."

its not amusing its very sad but no sadder than anyone else that died - the football community seem to have a deeper connection to one of their own dying, and yet the club did nothing to protect their fans either

i also know its different in different cities but in glasgow its completely pathetic football above all - the celtic fans last year down at the grounds attacking the players and the police and the rangers fans last weekend with another 2 street parties planned for the next few weeks - never think there was a pandemic going on

liverpool

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time Boris was still going round shaking everyone's hand.

But yes unbelievable they allowed those fans over"

I'm not sure it takes hindsight to see what was happening in Italy and Spain and then decide 3000 walking around a city wasmt a great idea tbf.

I think cheltentham was a few days later aswell.

I think there is definitely a case to answer for acting to late there if I'm honest

liverpool

its not amusing its very sad but no sadder than anyone else that died - the football community seem to have a deeper connection to one of their own dying, and yet the club did nothing to protect their fans either

i also know its different in different cities but in glasgow its completely pathetic football above all - the celtic fans last year down at the grounds attacking the players and the police and the rangers fans last weekend with another 2 street parties planned for the next few weeks - never think there was a pandemic going on "

I think they are looking at cancelling the old firm game.

By *HaRiFMan  over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

I'm no fan of the way the government have handled things. But the thing is soon as you start to tell people your nearly out of the woods, a lot will just throw caution to the wind and cock it all up again. That's why Chris Whitty's saying saying this.

By *immf-guyMan  over a year ago

Bath

What a great post, I couldn't agree more. Living in a country like Syria really would be a nightmare.

oldham

But yes unbelievable they allowed those fans over

I'm not sure it takes hindsight to see what was happening in Italy and Spain and then decide 3000 walking around a city wasmt a great idea tbf.

I think cheltentham was a few days later aswell.

I think there is definitely a case to answer for acting to late there if I'm honest

"

Half a million at Cheltenham I believe....

Darlington

I have never understood the british backing of the conservatives,

They are and have always been for the wealthy, if it suits their needs they will do it , if it suits the general public they cannot afford it

Given what the goverment has had to deal with this last year i think they have done the best they could with the knowledge they have had at any given time, have to remember that decisions that were made at the beginning may seem stupid now but nobody including the goverment new how to deal with what they were facing so had to make tough decisions based on what they thought was right wouldn't have mattered which party was in charge the outcome would have been the same lots of deaths lots of dept and lots of misery, only in a few years time will we know which decisions were correct and may possibly know what they should have done instead which will hopefully help during the next global pandemic

oldham

"I have never understood the british backing of the conservatives,

They are and have always been for the wealthy, if it suits their needs they will do it , if it suits the general public they cannot afford it"

And the alternative at the last election was?

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"I have never understood the british backing of the conservatives,

They are and have always been for the wealthy, if it suits their needs they will do it , if it suits the general public they cannot afford it"

Thats easy to answer we live in a mainly conservitive country thats why they keep getting voted in.look at last time labour won an election it was labour in name only it wasnt exactly a labour goverment.fact of the matter is there are more haves than have nots and the haves wont do anything that drops there standard of living

i also know its different in different cities but in glasgow its completely pathetic football above all - the celtic fans last year down at the grounds attacking the players and the police and the rangers fans last weekend with another 2 street parties planned for the next few weeks - never think there was a pandemic going on

I think they are looking at cancelling the old firm game."

honestly knowing fans on both sides it wont make a blind bit of difference - they will still be on the streets and this on a smaller scale is what i was saying about govt making rules - wether the govt cancel the game or the clubs come out and ask people not to gather - we still need the idiot fans to actually pay attention and do what they are told (and yes i know #notallfans)

Chudleigh

"Given what the goverment has had to deal with this last year i think they have done the best they could with the knowledge they have had at any given time, have to remember that decisions that were made at the beginning may seem stupid now but nobody including the goverment new how to deal with what they were facing so had to make tough decisions based on what they thought was right wouldn't have mattered which party was in charge the outcome would have been the same lots of deaths lots of dept and lots of misery, only in a few years time will we know which decisions were correct and may possibly know what they should have done instead which will hopefully help during the next global pandemic "

We have not done well by any measure, other than vaccinations (run by theNHS) we have more deaths per population than the EU, we have been late to adopt the right policies and we had idiots like Cummings drivingbthe agenda. This Govt does not learn, it is divorced from reality andvtoo remote from ordinary people.

It is pretty clear already what was not correct, we can compare against very similar countries and see we did badly - who led this, Boris. Get rid

"Given what the goverment has had to deal with this last year i think they have done the best they could with the knowledge they have had at any given time, have to remember that decisions that were made at the beginning may seem stupid now but nobody including the goverment new how to deal with what they were facing so had to make tough decisions based on what they thought was right wouldn't have mattered which party was in charge the outcome would have been the same lots of deaths lots of dept and lots of misery, only in a few years time will we know which decisions were correct and may possibly know what they should have done instead which will hopefully help during the next global pandemic

We have not done well by any measure, other than vaccinations (run by theNHS) we have more deaths per population than the EU, we have been late to adopt the right policies and we had idiots like Cummings drivingbthe agenda. This Govt does not learn, it is divorced from reality andvtoo remote from ordinary people.

It is pretty clear already what was not correct, we can compare against very similar countries and see we did badly - who led this, Boris. Get rid "

that's all very easy to say in hindsight

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

"Yeah totally agree with that, there all clowns and never tell us the honest truth. There's been so many inconsistencies surrounding this pandemic. Is anyone going to be held accountable for the pandemic ie. China? They are actually denying that it originated from them now. And blaming it on someone from Europe coming into there country with it."

Apparently they don't have a covid problem now, but this week in their vote on Hong Kong, they all had face masks on. Total lies as ever, so nothing new.

As for the future, yes we are doing well now, but still don't understand how it transmits, not sure if we will see another variant that is worse, how well the vaccine will last, etc.

Manchester (she/her)

Apparently they don't have a covid problem now, but this week in their vote on Hong Kong, they all had face masks on. Total lies as ever, so nothing new.

As for the future, yes we are doing well now, but still don't understand how it transmits, not sure if we will see another variant that is worse, how well the vaccine will last, etc. "

Imagine, in a situation where some people spread without symptoms, being cautious during a global pandemic. Outrageous. Obviously a conspiracy

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

As for the future, yes we are doing well now, but still don't understand how it transmits, not sure if we will see another variant that is worse, how well the vaccine will last, etc. "

We know how it spreads

People mixing with other people

You could have a total lockdown and it still would not work 100% because there is always a git who just does not care about anyone else but them and they will see it as their right to do exactly what they want.

Human nature

Tin town

As for the future, yes we are doing well now, but still don't understand how it transmits, not sure if we will see another variant that is worse, how well the vaccine will last, etc.

We know how it spreads

People mixing with other people

You could have a total lockdown and it still would not work 100% because there is always a git who just does not care about anyone else but them and they will see it as their right to do exactly what they want.

Human nature "

Not sure it is easily passed off as human nature... Some humans seem to be pretty good at caring for others as well as themselves.

Coventry(ish)/London

"Given what the goverment has had to deal with this last year i think they have done the best they could with the knowledge they have had at any given time, have to remember that decisions that were made at the beginning may seem stupid now but nobody including the goverment new how to deal with what they were facing so had to make tough decisions based on what they thought was right wouldn't have mattered which party was in charge the outcome would have been the same lots of deaths lots of dept and lots of misery, only in a few years time will we know which decisions were correct and may possibly know what they should have done instead which will hopefully help during the next global pandemic "

Every government has had to deal with the same thing, why do you think ours performed worse than nearly every country world?

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"Given what the goverment has had to deal with this last year i think they have done the best they could with the knowledge they have had at any given time, have to remember that decisions that were made at the beginning may seem stupid now but nobody including the goverment new how to deal with what they were facing so had to make tough decisions based on what they thought was right wouldn't have mattered which party was in charge the outcome would have been the same lots of deaths lots of dept and lots of misery, only in a few years time will we know which decisions were correct and may possibly know what they should have done instead which will hopefully help during the next global pandemic

Every government has had to deal with the same thing, why do you think ours performed worse than nearly every country world?"

Maybe the fact that they were handing out £ multi-bn contracts to their mates, with no scrutiny, and also adopting a 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude hasn't helped.

By *allguynowMan  over a year ago

durham

Covid 19 is here forever . Spanish flu from 1917 to 1919 is still around so just be patient everyone ????????

Bristol

Trouble is everyone says it’s their mates who get the big contracts but by the same argument you’re not going to give a big contract to John smith who runs a small distribution company.

I know that some have made a shite load of money out of this pandemic but that was always going to happen.

It’s the way of the world, the biggest companies are going to get the biggest interacts

Bristol

"Covid 19 is here forever . Spanish flu from 1917 to 1919 is still around so just be patient everyone ????????"

Yup same as the plague that pops up every so often

Coventry(ish)/London

"Trouble is everyone says it’s their mates who get the big contracts but by the same argument you’re not going to give a big contract to John smith who runs a small distribution company.

I know that some have made a shite load of money out of this pandemic but that was always going to happen.

It’s the way of the world, the biggest companies are going to get the biggest interacts "

Doesn't make it ok.

By *uited staffs guyMan  over a year ago

staffordshire

"Trouble is everyone says it’s their mates who get the big contracts but by the same argument you’re not going to give a big contract to John smith who runs a small distribution company.

It’s the way of the world, the biggest companies are going to get the biggest interacts "

The problem isn’t contracts being given to companies for work that needs doing, that was always going to happen, and needed to happen

The problem has been lucrative contracts being given to party donors or personal friends with absolutely no oversight and frequently where they have no experience or knowledge in that area

If that was happening in another country many here would be shouting about how corrupt they were

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

Companies that actually have expertise in the required product of service, and quote competitively, should get the contracts, unlike the rigged system that benefits Bozo and mates first, and others peripherally.

Bristol

Trouble is the biggest companies are the biggest donators in a lot of cases

liverpool

People running the country making money out of a pandemic =the way of the world.

I'm not sure it is

And I'm quite sure a lot of the companies had no history in making ppe.

Oh course you can be fed up with the government but just google what is happening deaths wise and roll out of vaccine wise in other countries. I am no fan of Boris but we are just one of many countries eating a shit sandwich at this point and I cannot see anything else on the menu. We are cautiously heading out of the restrictions but I for one accept that if if we have a serious spike again then we will have to backtrack.

Bristol

It’s the way of the world, the biggest companies are going to get the biggest interacts

People running the country making money out of a pandemic =the way of the world.

I'm not sure it is

And I'm quite sure a lot of the companies had no history in making ppe."

This is true but they were importers not manufacturers.

I’m not defending them just pointing out that some companies are more set up for mass importations than other smaller ones.

Chudleigh

It is pretty clear already what was not correct, we can compare against very similar countries and see we did badly - who led this, Boris. Get rid that's all very easy to say in hindsight "

Pretty sure I’ve been saying this for a year now. Foresight is what we pay these idiots to have, voting in idiots who only have hindsight is pretty stupid

liverpool

I'm not sure it is

I’m not defending them just pointing out that some companies are more set up for mass importations than other smaller ones.

"

Was it just a coincidence so many of these companies had links to the gmnt?

By *manaWoman  over a year ago

Basingstoke

People aren't psychic. It's best guess.

They are doing the best they can while some people ignore the rules. It's their fault this has become so drawn out

By *inky_slut_kellyTV/TS  over a year ago

BLANFORD POOLE BMTH

almost everything they say is bullshit...if you think things will go back to how they used to be i think youll be very disappointed..the lack of any mass protest ...due to most people showing their compliance by mask

wearing, being too scared to leave the house or break the rules has given given them carte Blanche to do whatever the fuck they want...

Stockport

"almost everything they say is bullshit...if you think things will go back to how they used to be i think youll be very disappointed..the lack of any mass protest ...due to most people showing their compliance by mask

wearing, being too scared to leave the house or break the rules has given given them carte Blanche to do whatever the fuck they want..."

I think that you will find that they've had carte blanche to do whatever the fuck they want for years now. There's absolutely no secret about the lying, cronyism, embezzling, bullying - and it's just totally ignored by the vast majority. Boris is found to be lying basically every single time he opens his mouth, and it's just excused as "well of course he's lying, that's just how boris is". So why the fuck did you all vote for him? "Ah but Corbyn!".

Covid isn't any mind boggling plan to keep the public in their place, the majority have been licking tory boots for 20 years already.

Covid is actually the biggest upset in a century to the people that really run the planet, as a virus is the one thing they can't lie to, pay off, lock up, belittle, bl@ckmail or control by any of the usual methods. And if enough of the workers drop dead, there won't be anyone left for the elite to do their eliting over...

Bristol

I'm not sure it is

Was it just a coincidence so many of these companies had links to the gmnt?"

Maybe they were the go to people for mass importation of the relevant goods needed at the time.

And if they were linked to some in government then they should not have been used ?

Maybe we should have only asked people who had no experience of mass imports as long as they were not tori’s?

Like it or not there are a lot of successful people who happen to be tories

Sometimes it seems that just the fact that they are makes them a target, yes things were not perfect as in having time to tender and scrutinise every company that could provide PPE ect but it got the job done.

I suppose the U.K. could have done what the EU would have done but then it would have taken even longer to get things done.

Bristol

"almost everything they say is bullshit...if you think things will go back to how they used to be i think youll be very disappointed..the lack of any mass protest ...due to most people showing their compliance by mask

wearing, being too scared to leave the house or break the rules has given given them carte Blanche to do whatever the fuck they want..."

Yes ok

Basingstoke

It's not about tory or Labour, it's about a virus. I'd rather put my faith in the scientists...

By *oxesMan  over a year ago

Southend, Essex

That is called staying there bloody obvious. It sounds like you are looking at this far too simplistically if you are confused over the message we are starting to open but we are a long way from the end of the pandemic.

I personally have very little faith in this government the transmission rate seems far too high to even think about reopning before everyone has been vaccinated in my uneducated opinion.

liverpool

I'm not sure it is

Maybe they were the go to people for mass importation of the relevant goods needed at the time.

And if they were linked to some in government then they should not have been used ?

Maybe we should have only asked people who had no experience of mass imports as long as they were not tori’s?

Sometimes it seems that just the fact that they are makes them a target, yes things were not perfect as in having time to tender and scrutinise every company that could provide PPE ect but it got the job done.

I suppose the U.K. could have done what the EU would have done but then it would have taken even longer to get things done.

"

Its quite simple.

A gmnt shouldnt be using its influence to make money.

Especially during a pandemic.

I would have thought that was a given.

By *oxesMan  over a year ago

Southend, Essex

I'm not sure it is

Its quite simple.

A gmnt shouldnt be using its influence to make money.

Especially during a pandemic.

I would have thought that was a given."

When it came to the vax everyone places bets on who they thought would develop it quicker with the potential to buy more if they got it wrong. The EU gambled that smaller start ups at least 50% of their bids went to, would be she to manufacture it quicker. The UK gambled that larger companies and companies manufacturing in the predominantly would be able to test manufacture it quicker. Most corps who will attempt to make a vax will fail when it come to passing the 3phases of drug testing.

By *nked 22Man  over a year ago

stockport

I personally think the government is doing a good job... No one signed up for this including Boris. Crack on if you feel you could do better.

By *andj4fungamesCouple  over a year ago

Los Alcazares

Are you serious? The highest death rate in Europe and a complete fiasco of 'Track and Trace'. Bojo is completely incompetent and they will still claim 'world beating'.

Did I mention a cover-up?

You were suggesting that if a robin in surrey set off a global pandemic, no one in the UK would blame England. I suggested that they would if people in England had been eating robins and there would likely to be an admission that the poor food safety standards needed to be improved and the practice banned, particularly if the same food safety standards had given rise to previous new viruses. In China’s case they have said nothing to see here, no changes required and it probably didn’t start here anyway so in my view worthy of some criticism. I see you like to debate by mocking the person you are talking to then using semantics to claim you didn’t mean what you said in the first place. "

Well said! You certainly aren’t the only one who has seen this, its a shame Fab don’t warn these types of people, banning would be better imo, they like to try to put people down almost try to embarrass them.

liverpool

"I personally think the government is doing a good job... No one signed up for this including Boris. Crack on if you feel you could do better. "

You realise they didnt just pull anyone of the street to run the country?

Chudleigh

"I personally think the government is doing a good job... No one signed up for this including Boris. Crack on if you feel you could do better.

You realise they didnt just pull anyone of the street to run the country?"

It is truly bizarre how compliant people are. Boris has been a shambles throughout, not even attending the first 6 Cobra meetings. Of course anyone else could have done a better job, the man is a blustering fool - with the deaths of many 10’s of ‘000’s on his hands. He doesn’t care about ordinary people, he just cares about his £200,000 redecoration of No 11!?

liverpool

"I personally think the government is doing a good job... No one signed up for this including Boris. Crack on if you feel you could do better.

It is truly bizarre how compliant people are. Boris has been a shambles throughout, not even attending the first 6 Cobra meetings. Of course anyone else could have done a better job, the man is a blustering fool - with the deaths of many 10’s of ‘000’s on his hands. He doesn’t care about ordinary people, he just cares about his £200,000 redecoration of No 11!? "

Its another utterly absurd argument

"Oh poor boris..how do you expect him to cope?

Well for a start it's his fucking job..he was elected to run the country..he is a professional politician (allegedly)and he is surrounded by experts and advisors.

It's not like they have asked the pizza delivery guy to run the country.

Chudleigh

It is truly bizarre how compliant people are. Boris has been a shambles throughout, not even attending the first 6 Cobra meetings. Of course anyone else could have done a better job, the man is a blustering fool - with the deaths of many 10’s of ‘000’s on his hands. He doesn’t care about ordinary people, he just cares about his £200,000 redecoration of No 11!?

Well for a start it's his fucking job..he was elected to run the country..he is a professional politician (allegedly)and he is surrounded by experts and advisors.

It's not like they have asked the pizza delivery guy to run the country."

As Michael Gove infamously said “I think the people of this country have had enough of experts” - well we have seen what happens now when we let the idiots loose

Please could we have the experts back...

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

It's not like they have asked the pizza delivery guy to run the country."

Would love to see how any other person would handle this any differently.

Did any politician come into power and expect this to happen?

So all the online experts could do so much better.

Not!

Chudleigh

Not! "

See my point above, if you ignore experts you get disaster

Coventry(ish)/London

"People aren't psychic. It's best guess.

They are doing the best they can while some people ignore the rules. It's their fault this has become so drawn out "

Now if I'm not mistaken this is a Brexit voting,tory voting apologist trying to pretend we've done a good job. Truth is...sadly...its been a shambles. Xx

liverpool

Not! "

Spectacularly missing the point

Basingstoke

Maybe just maybe the SCIENTISTS know best

Chudleigh

"Maybe just maybe the SCIENTISTS know best "

So agree with you, shame Cummings and the Govt have forgotten this - we would all have been safer & fewer lives would have been lost

chesterfield

"Maybe just maybe the SCIENTISTS know best "

Yes but they are only there to give advice they don't make the laws the government do

Basingstoke

"Maybe just maybe the SCIENTISTS know best

Yes but they are only there to give advice they don't make the laws the government do "

Yes. BASED on what the scientists say

Yes but they are only there to give advice they don't make the laws the government do

Yes. BASED on what the scientists say "

probably based on a mixture of what scientists and economists were telling them

By *losernow69Man  over a year ago

Melksham

Yes. BASED on what the scientists say "

And who is telling the 'scientists' what to say?

Basingstoke

Must be a conspiracy....