FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Holiday obsession?

Holiday obsession?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ebjonnson OP   Man  over a year ago

Maldon

Don’t get me wrong, I love a holiday as much as anyone but why are so many people obsessed as to when and where they can go this year?

There is a global pandemic raging, the likes of which none of us have ever experienced. People are still dying , our NHS is severely stretched. Not to mention the financial hardship of millions. Yet some are expressing their concerns on when to book, where to book, will they be able to get away?

Park it until next year fingers crossed?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

The media have got a new bone to get their teeth into ,expect them to whip up mass hysteria over this now.It will be all we hear for the next month or so now.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Because I suspect people are sick to death of the situation and want a bit of relief. Most of us are well and truly aware of the stress the NHS is under, death rate, infection rate etc but my god a holiday would be lovely. It doesn't mean they're any less sympathetic.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"The media have got a new bone to get their teeth into ,expect them to whip up mass hysteria over this now.It will be all we hear for the next month or so now."
this they are being lead by the press much like the clamour to reopen pubs last year al lead by the press braying for them to reopen

By *uriouslatexTV/TS  over a year ago

Norfolk

Theres many places in the UK you can holiday, alright it will probably be more expensive then jumping on a plane abroad, but possibly safer and controllable.

Jump on a plane abroad may just put us behind the virus again, especially with another winter. I've managed UK breaks for years, try it for once.

The MSM can go f*CK itself now!

By *ann SummersMan  over a year ago

Dartford

So we can’t hope, pray, discuss or look forward to a holiday?

It’s a ray of light at the end of a very dim tunnel.

Yes people are still dying, but not in the numbers that they were.

Yes the NHS is under pressure but this is reducing daily.

Yes people are facing financial hardship because of the impact of the virus on the economy.

I’ve both had the virus and lost my job over the course of the year.

Rather than performing self flagellation, sitting in sack cloth robes and mourning for the society lost, let us have something to look forward to without trying to say we should be feeling guilty about wanting an end to this.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I will be happy with meeting friends for a coffee and cake sat outside a cafe

A real treat would be a holiday in the UK, but i enjoy holidaying in the UK anyway.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"I will be happy with meeting friends for a coffee and cake sat outside a cafe

A real treat would be a holiday in the UK, but i enjoy holidaying in the UK anyway."

Agreed, a walk on a beach would be lovely

"Theres many places in the UK you can holiday, alright it will probably be more expensive then jumping on a plane abroad, but possibly safer and controllable.

Jump on a plane abroad may just put us behind the virus again, especially with another winter. I've managed UK breaks for years, try it for once.

The MSM can go f*CK itself now! "

With the shitty weather we get in the summer, it’s just not the same thing tho...

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

I can’t wait to go abroad one of the only ways I can justify working away from home and working long shifts is that I can have a couple of decent holidays a year but I don’t see how that makes me or others obsessed

A lot of people are just desperate for a break after a year we have all had.

Many who were fearful of the virus are feeling calmer now the vaccine has been roled out.

Also many are probably looking around and seeing just how few people they know actually got sick or if they did recovered quickly, so have lost their fear for that reason.

The general attitude of people I know or come into contact with has changed greatly since the start.

Most were break/bending the rules for months now, and only wear masks or social distance for the sake of it.

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

"Don’t get me wrong, I love a holiday as much as anyone but why are so many people obsessed as to when and where they can go this year?

There is a global pandemic raging, the likes of which none of us have ever experienced. People are still dying , our NHS is severely stretched. Not to mention the financial hardship of millions. Yet some are expressing their concerns on when to book, where to book, will they be able to get away?

Park it until next year fingers crossed? "

I love time off work but can never understand why a lot of people obsess over two weeks abroad for the other fifty weeks of the year.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"Don’t get me wrong, I love a holiday as much as anyone "

I doubt it , some of us holiday many many times a year, it’s part of life and being global. I can’t wait to start spending airmiles and Marriot rewards again

Il be taking a week off work and spending it my local pubs

Not helping with government guidelines why they just don't say all over seas travel business or holidays are banned till at least next year we all want a holiday but at what cost I just stay home and look what's on your doorstep

A real treat would be a holiday in the UK, but i enjoy holidaying in the UK anyway.

Agreed, a walk on a beach would be lovely "

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

It is the sunshine I go for. You can't get 30 degrees in England.

Why has it been decided it is OK for the Leeds and Reading _estivals to go ahead with 105,000 at each but not safe to sit on a plane wearing a mask ? I would holiday alone and maintain social distancing which I doubt will happen at the _estivals.

I won't be going anywhere but my job that I'm finally getting back to next week, relies on people going going abroad but at the same time I could end up being let go again. It's bittersweet for me x

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"It is the sunshine I go for. You can't get 30 degrees in England.

Why has it been decided it is OK for the Leeds and Reading _estivals to go ahead with 105,000 at each but not safe to sit on a plane wearing a mask ? I would holiday alone and maintain social distancing which I doubt will happen at the _estivals. "

I think its only the organisers saying leeds and reading are going ahead.pretty sure itsthe gov or local councis who will say if its happening or not.bit like holidays companys can say what they like doent meen it will happen

"So we can’t hope, pray, discuss or look forward to a holiday?

Yes people are facing financial hardship because of the impact of the virus on the economy.

Rather than performing self flagellation, sitting in sack cloth robes and mourning for the society lost, let us have something to look forward to without trying to say we should be feeling guilty about wanting an end to this.

"

I'm going on holiday abroad as soon as we get the go ahead can't wait.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Not helping with government guidelines why they just don't say all over seas travel business or holidays are banned till at least next year we all want a holiday but at what cost I just stay home and look what's on your doorstep"

I agree with this. Spend your money in the UK this year!

"Because I suspect people are sick to death of the situation and want a bit of relief. Most of us are well and truly aware of the stress the NHS is under, death rate, infection rate etc but my god a holiday would be lovely. It doesn't mean they're any less sympathetic. "

This.

Many of us work hard and look forward to the reward of a holiday for it. That's not a crime

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Don’t get me wrong, I love a holiday as much as anyone but why are so many people obsessed as to when and where they can go this year?

Sorry but I'm one of those people. I've got my refunds from last year raring to go... as soon as they say I can go I will be off on a short break.

I care for both a several disabled child and have responsibility for my younger sister... my short 3 to 5 day breaks away are normally my recharge time. Maybe 3 times a year. I did manage to get away last August...

For me its not so much a concern when but just that I really am waiting to be able to go.

By *ficouldMan  over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

The ray of hope / my time away from life / the four walls / the not being in some way restricted, is important to me, the decompressing, the not worrying about time.

I want something to look forward to. Now because of that I won't be booking a flight anywhere! Looking at what is still happening in the UK and worldwide, I don't want to have things cancelled on me.

I will be doing time away as and when I can.

"Because I suspect people are sick to death of the situation and want a bit of relief. Most of us are well and truly aware of the stress the NHS is under, death rate, infection rate etc but my god a holiday would be lovely. It doesn't mean they're any less sympathetic. "

this!

as someone who lives alone , works from home and has no bubble , i am desperately holding on to the dream of seeing a different 4 walls this year, and really hoping it wil be somewhere with a hot climate

in playing my part and following the rules but i still want something to look forward to

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Escapism.

This year has been awful.

I'm not going anywhere, but I get it.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Because I suspect people are sick to death of the situation and want a bit of relief. Most of us are well and truly aware of the stress the NHS is under, death rate, infection rate etc but my god a holiday would be lovely. It doesn't mean they're any less sympathetic.

This.

Many of us work hard and look forward to the reward of a holiday for it. That's not a crime "

Yes. We looked forward to retirement spent going out and about at home and abroad. We worked towards that and had just started to enjoy it. We're positive people when all our holidays were cancelled we shrugged and appreciated that we had food on the table and a roof over our heads BUT we're bloomin fed up with it

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Because I suspect people are sick to death of the situation and want a bit of relief. Most of us are well and truly aware of the stress the NHS is under, death rate, infection rate etc but my god a holiday would be lovely. It doesn't mean they're any less sympathetic.

This.

Many of us work hard and look forward to the reward of a holiday for it. That's not a crime "

It's not a crime to want things at all. What's silly from a country that has spent 12 months making huge sacrifices, is to risk it all by travelling to countries that have a 3rd wave out of control.. And low vaccination rates... And then bring it all back to this country... Only to kick off our own outbreaks... Sometimes we want something and just have to be grown up and wait for the right time.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

Why has it been decided it is OK for the Leeds and Reading _estivals to go ahead with 105,000 at each but not safe to sit on a plane wearing a mask ? I would holiday alone and maintain social distancing which I doubt will happen at the _estivals. "

You are not going to bring a foreign varient of the virus home with you from Leeds!

Some parts of Europe are just heading back into lockdown.

I wouldn't even consider a holiday abroad this year but each to their own.

This.

Many of us work hard and look forward to the reward of a holiday for it. That's not a crime

It's not a crime to want things at all. What's silly from a country that has spent 12 months making huge sacrifices, is to risk it all by travelling to countries that have a 3rd wave out of control.. And low vaccination rates... And then bring it all back to this country... Only to kick off our own outbreaks... Sometimes we want something and just have to be grown up and wait for the right time. "

who is travelling to a country with an out of control 3rd wave and bringing it back? we can’t say thats what people are doing because we eon’t have crystal balls

we have no idea what the rules are going to be yet, when we will be allowed to go, where we will be allowed to go, what the terms of travel will be, what the terms of return will be

Why has it been decided it is OK for the Leeds and Reading _estivals to go ahead with 105,000 at each but not safe to sit on a plane wearing a mask ? I would holiday alone and maintain social distancing which I doubt will happen at the _estivals.

You are not going to bring a foreign varient of the virus home with you from Leeds!

Some parts of Europe are just heading back into lockdown.

I wouldn't even consider a holiday abroad this year but each to their own. "

do you really thinking people are booking holidays away from one lockdown and into another? and if thats the point other countries are at do you think the country will even be accepting tourists?

By *oojCouple  over a year ago

exeter

Both worked right through one in the nhs and think a holiday in the sun will be such a great thing, something to look forward to and enjoyed as soon as possible.

I'm quite curious when I can get off this rock. If they say next year then that's fine.

People just want to know. See that light at the end of tunnel kind of thing.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

By all means, go on holiday .. but I say keep it within the borders of the country you live in ..

that way you

reduce the chance of any more big lockdowns and arguably more important put money into the local tourist trade, not the continental ones. If people still insist of going abroad it might possibly be the death knell for the traditional uk holiday areas and seaside venues etc

There is no need to go somewhere foreign this year unless you just cant do without it? which I would argue most people can ..

Of course, there might not be sun but then you just book in at the nearest tanning studio to cover that!

Plan a big overseas holiday for 2022 and stay local this year

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

I'm keeping everything crossed that we can actually get to either of our pre booked and pre paid holidays.

We were encouraged last year not to get refunds but support the travel industry, so now people are wondering if this year they can go, on last year's holidays.

I can't keep bumping these destinations back, paying more and watching the kids grow up without the experiences we dreamed about, researched, saved up for and paid for.

I'm not forking out thousands of pounds to stay in the UK. We specifically choose our holidays to be a holiday for all of us, me included. No cooking, no driving, sun sun and heat, beaches and swim up pool access rooms. Culture and different aspects of Africa and Asia.

If I'm stuck in the UK I'm not paying for a 'holiday' in this country, it doesn't provide anything from our 'to do' list. We spent years already exploring from Lockness, the Giants causeway, IOM, and everything all the way down to Brecon Beacons and even Dorset when the kids were too little to do long haul flights.

If holidays abroad are going to be cancelled again then just cancel them. Refund the families their thousands and watch the entire industry collapse, meaning huge job losses...

I've nothing booked in Europe this year. Africa and Asia for us, simply can not get those experiences in this country. How many years are families supposed to leave thousands of pounds sat with companies like Tui?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think that for a long time, an annual getaway to look forward to and enjoy, made the drudge of working for ever more insecure jobs, with decreased real-terms spending power, was much of what held spirits higher, through some escapism. For many, decreased housing security, falling income and malaise through lifestyle, isn't an especially uplifting existence. When people have had cancellations, travel companies not honouring legal commitments to refund as they should, the deferred potential to escape and to finally realise the potential of their large financial investment, must be like the distant bright light at the end of the tunnel, potentially not so reachable. It's been a tough year for so many, especially those who are less well-off financially, who are more likely to have been in situations with poorer health outcomes and likely associations with people who have died or been severely unwell. I don't begrudge them some relief

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I went to Gran Canaria for 10 days just before Christmas when we still could.

It was the best thing I'd done and I can't believe the difference its made to my outlook. I came back with a totally clear mind, refreshed and ready to attack anything life threw at me.

I still feel the same way and I was really fed up before I went, lacking motivation and lots of procrastination going on. I'm not sure how I would have handled this lockdown if I'd hadn't had that holiday.

If you get the chance to find the sea and sun safely, I would jump at it.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

By all means, go on holiday .. but I say keep it within the borders of the country you live in ..

that way you

reduce the chance of any more big lockdowns and arguably more important put money into the local tourist trade, not the continental ones. If people still insist of going abroad it might possibly be the death knell for the traditional uk holiday areas and seaside venues etc

There is no need to go somewhere foreign this year unless you just cant do without it? which I would argue most people can ..

Of course, there might not be sun but then you just book in at the nearest tanning studio to cover that!

Plan a big overseas holiday for 2022 and stay local this year

"

thing is...I priced up a week in a caravan in the uk... and a week in a self contained apartment in Sicily ... even factoring in the price of a test for the adults... sicily was cheaper and if tests wont be needed... it was significantly cheaper.

So If I can go abroad I will be doing so. Xx

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Holiday cottages in Cornwall were £1500 at Easter last year. Same one this Easter £3000. Supply and Demand.

kinky land

"Holiday cottages in Cornwall were £1500 at Easter last year. Same one this Easter £3000. Supply and Demand. "

2 weeks all inclusive, sea view room, in Tunisia in August, with flights, transfers, 15kg luggage each and select your seats..... £2300 for a family.

Just ran it through first choice. For £3000 you can upgrade to a 5* hotel, private taxi transfers and a kilo of sun cream.

I know where I'd spend that £3000.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

We can't wait for a holiday. We have been working extremely hard since January, 7 days a week relentlessly so we need and deserve a holiday. It's the only time Mr gets a rest. We need a holiday for our physical and mental health and for quality family time.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Holiday cottages in Cornwall were £1500 at Easter last year. Same one this Easter £3000. Supply and Demand.

2 weeks all inclusive, sea view room, in Tunisia in August, with flights, transfers, 15kg luggage each and select your seats..... £2300 for a family.

Just ran it through first choice. For £3000 you can upgrade to a 5* hotel, private taxi transfers and a kilo of sun cream.

I know where I'd spend that £3000. "

^^^This

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"Holiday cottages in Cornwall were £1500 at Easter last year. Same one this Easter £3000. Supply and Demand. "

Forget Cornwall Steve, loads of good holiday cottages on the south Dorset coast for under £1000 a week.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"Holiday cottages in Cornwall were £1500 at Easter last year. Same one this Easter £3000. Supply and Demand.

I know where I'd spend that £3000. "

Well would you though? I very much doubt if Tunisia will have a robust system of anti covid measures in place.. Even if you go all inclusive even then I wouldn't trust things to be safe over there not for a long while.

So you arrive back and get tested positive and get quarantined for 10 days before you can go home..get back to Work or whatever its going to start costing money .That's even if hotel fees are paid by the government.. Although I believe there are moves to make that the travellers responsibility in the future

That Tunisian break looks a bit less attractive now doesn't it?

By *ny1localMan  over a year ago

READING

This time last year was meant to go to corralejo, was postponed to this year..that's also cancelled!! I need a break,..can't even get a UK holiday apparently.

kinky land

Well would you though? I very much doubt if Tunisia will have a robust system of anti covid measures in place.. Even if you go all inclusive even then I wouldn't trust things to be safe over there not for a long while.

So you arrive back and get tested positive and get quarantined for 10 days before you can go home..get back to Work or whatever its going to start costing money .That's even if hotel fees are paid by the government.. Although I believe there are moves to make that the travellers responsibility in the future

That Tunisian break looks a bit less attractive now doesn't it? "

If I manage to test positive even after having covid, and the vaccines I'd be shocked but I book in summer holidays so I can add 10 days on, after our holiday, without issue personally. If I catch covid on a Tui or first choice holiday theyve stuck on their covid insurance. I'm guessing that'll cover covid quarantine.

Let's be frank. It would need to be a month quarantine + and at a higher personal cost to make Tunisia less desirable than anywhere in England to me and if Tunisia is running at that price you know Greek islands, Turkey and other destinations are even cheaper.

That Tunisian break looks a bit less attractive now doesn't it? "

tunisia currently have a full curfew from 10pm to 5am ... so stricter than the UK

but yes of course your gut feel that Tunisia cant manage a robust set of anti covid measures must be correct

we have bojo at the helm and managed to put social distancing in place, why on earth would people assume other countries wouldn’t be as capable

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

My personal feeling is international travel will not be allowed till 21st June at the earliest. Even then most airlines are going to need vaccine passports and where do you go most of Europe are heading towards their third waves and have severe restrictions in place, how about a cruise vaccine required no actual ports of call just going along the coast and daily tests sounds great

To put it plainly to go away this year you must be crazy or idiotic

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

"I'm keeping everything crossed that we can actually get to either of our pre booked and pre paid holidays.

We were encouraged last year not to get refunds but support the travel industry, so now people are wondering if this year they can go, on last year's holidays.

I can't keep bumping these destinations back, paying more and watching the kids grow up without the experiences we dreamed about, researched, saved up for and paid for.

I'm not forking out thousands of pounds to stay in the UK. We specifically choose our holidays to be a holiday for all of us, me included. No cooking, no driving, sun sun and heat, beaches and swim up pool access rooms. Culture and different aspects of Africa and Asia.

If I'm stuck in the UK I'm not paying for a 'holiday' in this country, it doesn't provide anything from our 'to do' list. We spent years already exploring from Lockness, the Giants causeway, IOM, and everything all the way down to Brecon Beacons and even Dorset when the kids were too little to do long haul flights.

If holidays abroad are going to be cancelled again then just cancel them. Refund the families their thousands and watch the entire industry collapse, meaning huge job losses...

I've nothing booked in Europe this year. Africa and Asia for us, simply can not get those experiences in this country. How many years are families supposed to leave thousands of pounds sat with companies like Tui? "

Me and K went to South Africa for 2 weeks at the end of February beginning of March 2020 its was a trip of a life time from diving with Great White Sharks to seeing a baby Rhino just 2 weeks old running along side our safari jeep with his mum. There's no way those life experiences can be found in the UK or even Europe.

On the flip side though do you truly believe the African continent will be safe and good to travel to in 2021 genuine question? I think I'd feel safer in many places in Asia going by the covid data.

We were going to see family in America this year but have put it back to summer 2022.

KJ

kinky land

"Me and K went to South Africa for 2 weeks at the end of February beginning of March 2020 its was a trip of a life time from diving with Great White Sharks to seeing a baby Rhino just 2 weeks old running along side our safari jeep with his mum. There's no way those life experiences can be found in the UK or even Europe.

On the flip side though do you truly believe the African continent will be safe and good to travel to in 2021 genuine question? I think I'd feel safer in many places in Asia going by the covid data.

We were going to see family in America this year but have put it back to summer 2022.

KJ"

Sound bliss I was just thinking back to Avila beach on Curaçao

The whole African continent no but I'd say that about many things, not just covid.

I think for tourist spots that Tui and others fly too, either the virus is being managed well or they simply won't go. Letting your customers get ill isn't really a viable business model before you consider government restrictions on both sides.

I do think I agree with Tui in that they try and mitigate the risks.

If I went away, was drinking and getting up close and personal with strangers well yeah I stand a greater risk of more than covid. Same is true of a city centre pub.

If I holiday as I normally would. Premium / fast bag drop check in, fast track security, lounges, premium cabin (ranges from 25 seats to about 45 seats I think) Private transfers to hotel, (that also has the benefit of checking in before the coaches arrive and the lobby fills up), then a few weeks chilling on a pool lounger and or beach lounger with much more than 2m space around me and using masks indoors (buffet halls/airport/flights/taxis) then I actually feel safer doing all that then going near a Tesco on a weekend

Would I or have I booked to go to Europe this year, no. Am I hopeful we can get away this summer, absolutely

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

""Me and K went to South Africa for 2 weeks at the end of February beginning of March 2020 its was a trip of a life time from diving with Great White Sharks to seeing a baby Rhino just 2 weeks old running along side our safari jeep with his mum. There's no way those life experiences can be found in the UK or even Europe.

KJ"

The whole African continent no but I'd say that about many things, not just covid.

I think for tourist spots that Tui and others fly too, either the virus is being managed well or they simply won't go. Letting your customers get ill isn't really a viable business model before you consider government restrictions on both sides.

If I went away, was drinking and getting up close and personal with strangers well yeah I stand a greater risk of more than covid. Same is true of a city centre pub.

If I holiday as I normally would. Premium / fast bag drop check in, fast track security, lounges, premium cabin (ranges from 25 seats to about 45 seats I think) Private transfers to hotel, (that also has the benefit of checking in before the coaches arrive and the lobby fills up), then a few weeks chilling on a pool lounger and or beach lounger with much more than 2m space around me and using masks indoors (buffet halls/airport/flights/taxis) then I actually feel safer doing all that then going near a Tesco on a weekend

Would I or have I booked to go to Europe this year, no. Am I hopeful we can get away this summer, absolutely "

You don't have to get on a metal tube and sit next to others and share their air for 4 hours to get to tescoes though... Well at least not the one I go to.

Though I do share your thought sod rather be in the sun next to a pool than in a supermarket for sure.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I need a holiday and will not hesitate to go. I have had both jabs and refuse to put my life on hold.

Maldon

"I need a holiday and will not hesitate to go. I have had both jabs and refuse to put my life on hold."

But there’s a global health crisis going on!

I went to Cornwall for 2 weeks early September last year....busy, busy. Bar popping a mask on to go in shops was no difference. Even enjoyed a good pub quiz in Looe. Got out for a few fishing trips. Already booked for this year (at same place, same price. Booked a long weekend in Paignton with a lady friend in July.

Just take what you can get.....

""Me and K went to South Africa for 2 weeks at the end of February beginning of March 2020 its was a trip of a life time from diving with Great White Sharks to seeing a baby Rhino just 2 weeks old running along side our safari jeep with his mum. There's no way those life experiences can be found in the UK or even Europe.

KJ"

Would I or have I booked to go to Europe this year, no. Am I hopeful we can get away this summer, absolutely

You don't have to get on a metal tube and sit next to others and share their air for 4 hours to get to tescoes though... Well at least not the one I go to.

Though I do share your thought sod rather be in the sun next to a pool than in a supermarket for sure.

"

just pick somewhere to go to where there is a negative test requirement on arrival, it means everyone in that metal tube tested negative in the last 72hours - voila your risk is lowered hugely

not to mention you are not allowed to walk about on the plane anymore, have to request permission even to get up to use the bathroom so there is no mingling except for the people you are sat beside and you wear a mask your entire flight

and before anyone starts on the “recycled air” which goes through filters anyway - if people are expected to return to offices and shops and gyms and hotels and trains and busses with air conditioning by summer why should a plane be any different

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple  over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

We won’t be traveling abroad this year but that is mainly down to finances and masks. I (Mrs) struggle with masks (before anyone starts the abuse I wear one at all times when I am meant to). I don’t think I could sit on a plane with a mask on for hours, my current limit has been about an hour (food shopping) before I start to get panicked and hyperventilate. We have said if we are able to we might drive to Scotland in September to see family but nothing has been booked yet.

To those who feel the need to tell others where they can go on holiday I have one thought and that thought has the same initials as foreign office.

Maldon

"To those who feel the need to tell others where they can go on holiday I have one thought and that thought has the same initials as foreign office."

Excellent!

I agree! F O

"To those who feel the need to tell others where they can go on holiday I have one thought and that thought has the same initials as foreign office."

This!

"We won’t be traveling abroad this year but that is mainly down to finances and masks. I (Mrs) struggle with masks (before anyone starts the abuse I wear one at all times when I am meant to). I don’t think I could sit on a plane with a mask on for hours, my current limit has been about an hour (food shopping) before I start to get panicked and hyperventilate. We have said if we are able to we might drive to Scotland in September to see family but nothing has been booked yet."

Have you tried different types of masks? I find I can't breathe in some types.

I wore a mask while at home watching tv to get used to it. I can now manage 12 hours with a mask on. (Removing for eating.)

I can't breathe in a mask if I'm rushing about though so it's a good excuse to take it easy.

By *andR510Couple  over a year ago

St Neots/Wisbech

And what if next year is just another repeat of last year and this year ?

Is it really so wrong for people to want to get back to a degree of normality, especially given that the road map indicates that we can ?

People moaning that " you can't do that because Boris said no" and then saying " oh it's too early to lift restrictions" when Boris says we can, are the biggest problem. If you want to stay at home, wear a mask, wash your hands every 5 minutes etc.. then go for it. Its your prerogative to decide what you think is best for your own peace of mind, but wagging your finger at those that have a different opinion is hypocritical and arrogant.

You do you, we'll do us and we'll accept responsibility for our own choices.

Is it really so wrong for people to want to get back to a degree of normality, especially given that the road map indicates that we can ?

People moaning that " you can't do that because Boris said no" and then saying " oh it's too early to lift restrictions" when Boris says we can, are the biggest problem. If you want to stay at home, wear a mask, wash your hands every 5 minutes etc.. then go for it. Its your prerogative to decide what you think is best for your own peace of mind, but wagging your finger at those that have a different opinion is hypocritical and arrogant.

You do you, we'll do us and we'll accept responsibility for our own choices. "

Your choices could affect others though, vulnerable people.

" Your choices could affect others though, vulnerable people. "

the government will make the decisions on what steps we need to take as a collective to protect the vulnerable

unless i am mistaken nobody on the thread is suggesting breaking the law and sneaking across the border - we can only book and go holidays in line with whatever regulations are in place

so if what you are suggesting is people going over and above the regulations to give people extra protection can i assume that you haven’t left the house in the last year and wont be visiting any shops/ salons/ restaurants/ bars when they reopen , or visiting any members of your family

because if you are then why is it we are ok to make use of some rules easing but you have decided a holiday is a step too far?

if its too far for you thats fine , others think differently and as long as they still keep to the guidelines there is no problem

By *andR510Couple  over a year ago

St Neots/Wisbech

You do you, we'll do us and we'll accept responsibility for our own choices.

Your choices could affect others though, vulnerable people. "

2.2% of the population were classed as vulnerable by the NHS,these were the critical people to protect. We are at 3.4% of the population having both jabs and over 51% with their first jab which offers 80% efficacy.

So given those figures, who are we at risk of infecting ?

I love a good holiday. Iv already booked 2 U.K. breaks for this year and a couple of overnight stays near the coast.

Saving abroad til next year though to be on the safe side.

By *elnkazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

We work hard all year for our 2 week holiday abroad every yr. A good few holidays and breaks cancelled last yr. We have both worked everyday throughout this pandemic as frontline keyworkers and will continue to do so.

So as soon as we can we are booking our 2 week holiday abroad and will enjoy every bloody minute of it

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

A real treat would be a holiday in the UK, but i enjoy holidaying in the UK anyway."

Good company having a coffee and a cake, doing a bit of people watching, nice way to pass a few hours.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Has anybody mentioned yet or considered those who depend on foreign travel for their livelihoods?

Or are these another group of people we are happy to throw under the bus in the name of covid?

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I get what the op means.

A group of us go away every year. We didn't last year and every time we zoom holidays come up. I get it, but at the moment, whilst I can't hug and kiss my children, sit in my local coffee shop etc, I'm not interested in talking holidays.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"Has anybody mentioned yet or considered those who depend on foreign travel for their livelihoods?

Or are these another group of people we are happy to throw under the bus in the name of covid? "

Exactally my job relys on people flying our firm just about keeping afloat 25 lost there jobs in september 15 of us left.if there no travel this summer the rest of us are gone this year.but hey ho sure i can join the hundreds of thousands other scrabbling around for a jobwith amazon

"I get what the op means.

A group of us go away every year. We didn't last year and every time we zoom holidays come up. I get it, but at the moment, whilst I can't hug and kiss my children, sit in my local coffee shop etc, I'm not interested in talking holidays. "

"So we can’t hope, pray, discuss or look forward to a holiday?

"

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

I very rarely have a holiday last one was 2012 ! But have booked one for isle of wight in august ! Hopefully it can go ahead! X

Possible £5000 fine by Thursday for those found taking a holiday abroad

» Add a new message to this topic