FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Covid related - sort of

Covid related - sort of

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

With the sad passing of Prince Philip this morning, I found myself wondering how they will approach the funeral in these covid times?

His status in life befits a full state funeral, but with current restrictions can such a funeral with all its entourage really be justified when so many others haven't been allowed to attend loved ones funerals?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

I think he requested a not to have a state funeral.

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

Press are saying funeral will be in Windsor.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"I think he requested a not to have a state funeral. "

Yes he asked for a small, quiet funeral.

I wonder if Harry will attend

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Not even a ceremonial funeral either it seems.

"I think he requested a not to have a state funeral.

I wonder if Harry will attend"

Depends if Meghan will let him

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

I wonder if Harry will attend"

I think that would be a step too far if he doesn't

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"With the sad passing of Prince Philip this morning, I found myself wondering how they will approach the funeral in these covid times?

His status in life befits a full state funeral, but with current restrictions can such a funeral with all its entourage really be justified when so many others haven't been allowed to attend loved ones funerals?"

No it can't

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"With the sad passing of Prince Philip this morning, I found myself wondering how they will approach the funeral in these covid times?

His status in life befits a full state funeral, but with current restrictions can such a funeral with all its entourage really be justified when so many others haven't been allowed to attend loved ones funerals?"

He is expected to have a royal ceremonial funeral. He should only have close family there the same as the rest of us, unfortunately.

By *irtyd468Man  over a year ago

North

At the end of the day Prince Philip was a husband father grandfather and great grandfather. The Queen had known him for over 80 years of which for 73 of those years they were married.

Im sure his loved ones will give him the no fuss funeral he wanted and hopefully all of his family will be left alone and allowed to grieve for him privately.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

His status in life befits a full state funeral, but with current restrictions can such a funeral with all its entourage really be justified when so many others haven't been allowed to attend loved ones funerals?

He is expected to have a royal ceremonial funeral. He should only have close family there the same as the rest of us, unfortunately."

No he is not he said he didn't want one.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

It will a quiet family affair I wonder if Harry will attend?

"It will a quiet family affair I wonder if Harry will attend?"

He'll have to ask Meghan's permission

I think that would be a step too far if he doesn't "

will it not depend on if he can leave and get back into america? its blocked to all travel from the UK at the moment is it not? although maybe i am being naive assuming that also includes private planes

Depends if Meghan will let him "

Yes I agree it depends if its good for her publicity wise.

He is expected to have a royal ceremonial funeral. He should only have close family there the same as the rest of us, unfortunately."

No he's not.

He wanted a quiet family funeral.

Leeds

will it not depend on if he can leave and get back into america? its blocked to all travel from the UK at the moment is it not? although maybe i am being naive assuming that also includes private planes "

Harry has diplomatic status. He can come here without needing to quarantine. Impressive that Covid can recognise a VIP

chelmsford

He is expected to have a royal ceremonial funeral. He should only have close family there the same as the rest of us, unfortunately.

No he's not.

He wanted a quiet family funeral. "

I worded that wrongly, sorry. When I first saw the broadcast, they said it would most likely be a royal ceremonial funeral, yes it looks likely it will only be family.

No he's not.

I worded that wrongly, sorry. When I first saw the broadcast, they said it would most likely be a royal ceremonial funeral, yes it looks likely it will only be family."

By *xploring_FunWoman  over a year ago

Coventry

He’s having a ceremonial funeral. He wanted a family funeral, but recognised there has to be a public element to it.

It’ll be very tight with just 30 people. He has a very big extended family on both his own side and his wife’s side.

None of his charities are likely to be represented at the funeral which is actually a shame because his DOE scheme and his work with playing fields have done a lot of good.

will it not depend on if he can leave and get back into america? its blocked to all travel from the UK at the moment is it not? although maybe i am being naive assuming that also includes private planes

Harry has diplomatic status. He can come here without needing to quarantine. Impressive that Covid can recognise a VIP"

dont you know harry doesnt have to play by the rules us mear mortals have to ffs

Harry has diplomatic status. He can come here without needing to quarantine. Impressive that Covid can recognise a VIP"

it was more the return to america i thought might be a problem, he isn’t a diplomat there, or a citizen - i thought that was why they moved from canada when they did before borders got closed

Coventry

The 30 people doesn’t include people working at the funeral so that will allow the military to carry the coffin and the likes.

They’ll have to be very very careful not to misjudge the mood of the country though.

I couldn’t attend my sister-in-law’s funeral in February and so many other people have been in that position. I think if people see the royals flouting rules too much their popularity would dive.

"He’s having a ceremonial funeral. He wanted a family funeral, but recognised there has to be a public element to it.

It’ll be very tight with just 30 people. He has a very big extended family on both his own side and his wife’s side.

None of his charities are likely to be represented at the funeral which is actually a shame because his DOE scheme and his work with playing fields have done a lot of good."

just because the charities can’t send someone along doesn’t mean they wont recognise the good work that has been done - i imagine there is going to be weeks of tribute programmes on the tv and radio and in the papers that will keep all of that high up the list

"The 30 people doesn’t include people working at the funeral so that will allow the military to carry the coffin and the likes.

They’ll have to be very very careful not to misjudge the mood of the country though.

I couldn’t attend my sister-in-law’s funeral in February and so many other people have been in that position. I think if people see the royals flouting rules too much their popularity would dive."

i agree, although even my grandads funeral was viewable online when it was happening because of covid so i imagine they will just televise this so people who want to pay their respects feel like they have some way of being involved

at my dads funerul reccently there were 12 imediate family and that was it, it was nice really very intimate better than hoards of people, and he knew alot of people

chelmsford

No he's not.

I worded that wrongly, sorry. When I first saw the broadcast, they said it would most likely be a royal ceremonial funeral, yes it looks likely it will only be family. "

Leeds

"It was more the return to america i thought might be a problem, he isn’t a diplomat there, or a citizen - i thought that was why they moved from canada when they did before borders got closed "

It will be interesting to see what he does. Meghan has her pregnancy as an excuse not to come

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"

"

Hopefully he will gain plenty of approval from setting a good example by not travelling at the moment. Well, from me at least!

chelmsford

"

Hopefully he will gain plenty of approval from setting a good example by not travelling at the moment. Well, from me at least!"

I suppose he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't

By *irtyd468Man  over a year ago

North

I think Harry could attend with testing and quarantine. Ultimately its up to him and his wife to decide what happens and if one none or both of them attend.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"

Hopefully he will gain plenty of approval from setting a good example by not travelling at the moment. Well, from me at least!

I suppose he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't "

Well summarised. One for his PR gurus to deal with.

chelmsford

"

I suppose he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't

Well summarised. One for his PR gurus to deal with."

Yes, I guess so! I think he would want to come, if possible.

"It was more the return to america i thought might be a problem, he isn’t a diplomat there, or a citizen - i thought that was why they moved from canada when they did before borders got closed

It will be interesting to see what he does. Meghan has her pregnancy as an excuse not to come"

they also live out of the country, its a pandemic and only 30 people can attend so some prioritising will have to be done even within the family - if she doesn’t go i wouldn’t see it as finding an excuse

funerals in any family are a sad time and with people hurt it can bring family rifts back together or drive the wedge further, add the fact that they aren’t open to all just now with number limits and it gets more complicated , i don’t think it would be unreasonable for Harry to either attend because its his grandad after all, or to stay away to make the day easier on the rest of the family as well as incredibly impractical travelling now - don’t expect it to be an easy decision either way but i wouldn’t judge for either outcome

By *exyMPCouple  over a year ago

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

He said that "he didn't want to be pulled through the streets on a cart" !! Typical comment - RIP

chelmsford

He said that "he didn't want to be pulled through the streets on a cart" !! Typical comment - RIP"

Aah..bless him..typical..great sense of humour

near ipswich

"

Hopefully he will gain plenty of approval from setting a good example by not travelling at the moment. Well, from me at least!"

The covid rules allow someone from overseas to come to the uk for a funeral. If its from a country where you need to isolate you must isolate for 10 days but are allowed under compassionate grounds to attend if it is a close family member then return to isolation.

By *yes146Man  over a year ago

London / Bournemouth

So sad. Prince Philip deserved to reach 100. A true gentleman; sacrificed so much to serve the Queen. Not many men that would have done that, much to learn !!!!

RESPECT.

Coventry

"He’s having a ceremonial funeral. He wanted a family funeral, but recognised there has to be a public element to it.

None of his charities are likely to be represented at the funeral which is actually a shame because his DOE scheme and his work with playing fields have done a lot of good.

just because the charities can’t send someone along doesn’t mean they wont recognise the good work that has been done - i imagine there is going to be weeks of tribute programmes on the tv and radio and in the papers that will keep all of that high up the list "

I didn’t say that wouldn’t. Just that it’s a shame they won’t be able to have representation at the funeral

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

TBH, I feel it would send a far better message to the people if Harry does not attend. There have been thousands of people all over the country that have suffered the loss of close relatives during the last twelve months, but have been unable to attend funerals. It really should not matter whether it's the royal family or someone earning minimum wage, the same rules should apply to everybody.

Really, the only ones that should attend are the very closest relatives, and then only if they do not need to travel any long distance.

This may sound harsh, but Philip is dead now, he doesn't know who is attending his funeral. It is perfectly okay for those at a distance to mourn at a distance, visit the grave later when it is safer to do so. Many many ordinary people have had to do this, the people have had to make sacrifices for the good of the country, it is about time that some of the elite showed that they are themselves prepared to make similar sacrifices.

near ipswich

"TBH, I feel it would send a far better message to the people if Harry does not attend. There have been thousands of people all over the country that have suffered the loss of close relatives during the last twelve months, but have been unable to attend funerals. It really should not matter whether it's the royal family or someone earning minimum wage, the same rules should apply to everybody.

Really, the only ones that should attend are the very closest relatives, and then only if they do not need to travel any long distance.

This may sound harsh, but Philip is dead now, he doesn't know who is attending his funeral. It is perfectly okay for those at a distance to mourn at a distance, visit the grave later when it is safer to do so. Many many ordinary people have had to do this, the people have had to make sacrifices for the good of the country, it is about time that some of the elite showed that they are themselves prepared to make similar sacrifices."

Yes they did but they were the rules at the time,the rules have changed with the virus status. Its his grandfather ffs how close a family do you need to be?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"TBH, I feel it would send a far better message to the people if Harry does not attend. There have been thousands of people all over the country that have suffered the loss of close relatives during the last twelve months, but have been unable to attend funerals. It really should not matter whether it's the royal family or someone earning minimum wage, the same rules should apply to everybody.

This may sound harsh, but Philip is dead now, he doesn't know who is attending his funeral. It is perfectly okay for those at a distance to mourn at a distance, visit the grave later when it is safer to do so. Many many ordinary people have had to do this, the people have had to make sacrifices for the good of the country, it is about time that some of the elite showed that they are themselves prepared to make similar sacrifices.Yes they did but they were the rules at the time,the rules have changed with the virus status. Its his grandfather ffs how close a family do you need to be?"

I very much appreciate it is his grandfather. It is also transatlantic flights during a time of pandemic, when borders are closed for most ordinary people to travel, and those who do travel have to spend extended periods self quarantining. If the current rules do allow every ordinary person to undertake such a journey, then fine, provided that all testing, quarantining etc requirements are adhered to. If it is not possible for an ordinary person to do this, then show community with the ordinary people of the country by following the same rules as they do.

The Cummings trip last year blatantly broke his own rules, leading to the rules coming into disrepute and encouraging many people to ignore those rules. This set the trend for an attitude throughout the last twelve months that undoubtedly contributed to many many people becoming ill with covid. Now we are hopefully on the cusp of being able to remove most of the restrictions, but it is imperative that all those in privileged positions continue to work within the rules until the bitter end.

If there is even one citizen of the United Kingdom who would not be allowed to undertake a similar journey in order to bury their own grandfather, then members of the royal family should not either.

By *tockport 69Couple  over a year ago

Stockport

the British government say only 15 at a funeral.so let see if the law is broken. if so hope the police do there job

Coventry

" the British government say only 15 at a funeral.so let see if the law is broken. if so hope the police do there job "

It’s 30 in England. 20 in Scotland. Not sure about Wales and NI.

By *rank speakerMan  over a year ago

Worcester

I think the fact we're even having a debate over this shows the awful mess this virus has cased. The Chinese authorities have an awful lot to answer for? No doubt newspapers will jump on the bandwagon and criticise Harry whatever he does and as someone said earlier damned either way?

This may sound harsh, but Philip is dead now, he doesn't know who is attending his funeral. It is perfectly okay for those at a distance to mourn at a distance, visit the grave later when it is safer to do so. Many many ordinary people have had to do this, the people have had to make sacrifices for the good of the country, it is about time that some of the elite showed that they are themselves prepared to make similar sacrifices.Yes they did but they were the rules at the time,the rules have changed with the virus status. Its his grandfather ffs how close a family do you need to be?

I very much appreciate it is his grandfather. It is also transatlantic flights during a time of pandemic, when borders are closed for most ordinary people to travel, and those who do travel have to spend extended periods self quarantining. If the current rules do allow every ordinary person to undertake such a journey, then fine, provided that all testing, quarantining etc requirements are adhered to. If it is not possible for an ordinary person to do this, then show community with the ordinary people of the country by following the same rules as they do.

The Cummings trip last year blatantly broke his own rules, leading to the rules coming into disrepute and encouraging many people to ignore those rules. This set the trend for an attitude throughout the last twelve months that undoubtedly contributed to many many people becoming ill with covid. Now we are hopefully on the cusp of being able to remove most of the restrictions, but it is imperative that all those in privileged positions continue to work within the rules until the bitter end.

If there is even one citizen of the United Kingdom who would not be allowed to undertake a similar journey in order to bury their own grandfather, then members of the royal family should not either. "

the uk allow international travel for a funeral under current guidelines, there are no other citizens that would be banned from this and many countries are allowing compassionate exemptions all the way through , albeit i think you have to apply for it

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

When was this ?

Has it been on the news ?

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

" the British government say only 15 at a funeral.so let see if the law is broken. if so hope the police do there job "
its 30 now ..and thats what is apparently happening.

Harry is flying over but that would have been allowed no matter what.

chelmsford

" the British government say only 15 at a funeral.so let see if the law is broken. if so hope the police do there job its 30 now ..and thats what is apparently happening.

Harry is flying over but that would have been allowed no matter what."

» Add a new message to this topic