FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Hospital - BBC 2

Hospital - BBC 2

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *inky_couple2020 OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

If you haven't watched this tonight, it'll be on iPlayer. It followed staff and patients at a hospital in Coventry in March this year, 2021.

Perhaps those among us who think it's some sort of conspiracy, or who say "I'm 50, fit and healthy, I don't need a vaccine" (or similar words), might find it enlightening to watch the story of David.

David was 50, no pre-existing health conditions and seemed to have an active job in home improvements. He recently became a Grandfather for the first time. He tested positive for Covid, ends up in hospital, initially on a regular ward on an oxygen mask, then he needed more and more oxygen.

You can probably guess how it ended. With the death of a clearly much-loved husband, father and grandfather.

He was "only" 50

He had no pre existing conditions

He was active

He died.

I hope his wife, children and wider family are able to come to terms with what has happened

And I hope people recognise this IS a serious illness, it hasn't gone away (it's getting worse where we are) and it will be resurgent if its able to continue to infect people. Take the vaccine when offered, because you don't know if you might be the next David.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

We intend to catch it on I player..

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Have followed the news everyday and will not watch as I am sure will learn nothing new and to depressing right now

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

We watched the first 1/2 hour, too close to home for one of us. Unfortunately the disbelievers will not have watched

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

I've watched this last night and thought the same. I wish people would stop saying it doesn't exist. It was heartbreaking. A relatively young man with an amazing family taken by this bloody virus

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The new series started last night…. But if you have sky q you can also still watch the last series which was heartbreaking at times…

But this thread is only going to preach to the already converted… the ney sayers will come up with reasons to never watch it

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"The new series started last night…. But if you have sky q you can also still watch the last series which was heartbreaking at times…

But this thread is only going to preach to the already converted… the ney sayers will come up with reasons to never watch it "

Your correct Fabio, in fact they will probably completely ignore this thread as it doesn't suit their agenda.

Like a previous poster I won't be watching it anytime soon,I am starting to realise how lucky I was when I had covid and dodged a bullet big time.

So for me the feeling is still very raw and emotional.

North West

"The new series started last night…. But if you have sky q you can also still watch the last series which was heartbreaking at times…

But this thread is only going to preach to the already converted… the ney sayers will come up with reasons to never watch it

Your correct Fabio, in fact they will probably completely ignore this thread as it doesn't suit their agenda.

Like a previous poster I won't be watching it anytime soon,I am starting to realise how lucky I was when I had covid and dodged a bullet big time.

So for me the feeling is still very raw and emotional."

I totally understand why you wouldn't want to watch it. It was just incredibly sad to see how a previously healthy man, aged 50, declined so quickly and how young his family were. His wife was incredibly strong but she must be devastated.

Too many people are blasé and don't think it could happen to them. How many posts have we seen about "I'm not having the vaccine because I'm X years old, fit and healthy" etc. Complacency is not the answer!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

But this thread is only going to preach to the already converted… the ney sayers will come up with reasons to never watch it "

Yet another assumption on Fab. I'm not a ney sayer as you call them yet I have no need to watch a program about a situation we've all been living through.

Personally I'm more a look forward type of person.

By *orkshire_roses999Couple  over a year ago

yorkshire

Working in the medical field has been quite tricky over that past 18months and I’ll be honest….it’s been gruelling!we’ve seen an increase of patients under 50 with CoVID who,despite our best efforts, have eventually passed away.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Just watched it.

Hard hitting isn't it. Very sobering.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury

The NHS and the government are trying hard to address the massive backlog of patients caused by the pandemic.

People that don't get vaccinated and end up in hospital with COVID, unnecessarily take up a hospital bed and vital NHS resource and preventing others from getting care.

And even if the people that opt not to get vaccinated don't catch COVID (or catch it and don't need care), they may need NHS care for another reason and could find their treatment being delayed as the NHS is unnecessarily (because if patients had been vaccinated theres a high probability that they wouldn't need hospitalization) treating people with COVID that have followed their no vaccination stance.

Vaccination is a choice but so is crossing a busy road away from the crossing or using the crossing - choose wisely, protect yourself, protect others.

F

By * New YorkieMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Fully vaccinated here... Feeling achy, but its one of those good hurts...

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

If you wish to see poorly people then go to a hospital.... it’s full of them . Most of us don’t end up in there, some of us do but most don’t.

Yes the programme put things in perspective... it was very sobering watching the family lose a husband, father and grandfather.

North West

"If you wish to see poorly people then go to a hospital.... it’s full of them . Most of us don’t end up in there, some of us do but most don’t. "

The point was that a previously healthy guy, aged 50, died of Covid on the programme. We have plenty of naysayers on here who think it's only a serious issue in the elderly or people who have pre existing problems and people have justified certain choices by saying "but I'm only 50 and perfectly fit." Covid is a serious illness for potentially anyone, any age. That was the point.

"If you wish to see poorly people then go to a hospital.... it’s full of them . Most of us don’t end up in there, some of us do but most don’t.

The point was that a previously healthy guy, aged 50, died of Covid on the programme. We have plenty of naysayers on here who think it's only a serious issue in the elderly or people who have pre existing problems and people have justified certain choices by saying "but I'm only 50 and perfectly fit." Covid is a serious illness for potentially anyone, any age. That was the point."

It's a terrible shame for his friends and family, and I'm not an unbeliever and have been vaccinated.

BUT, his story is still uncommon. Like athletes who have a heart attack while doing a marathon. Like young kids with cancer. Like the 9 year old struck by lightning while playing football.

Yes, they happen but sensible people can differentiate between what is possible and what is probable and the FACTS are that the vast majority of young, healthy people will be absolutely fine.

Some won't. That's terrible for those concerned, but life.

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

"If you wish to see poorly people then go to a hospital.... it’s full of them . Most of us don’t end up in there, some of us do but most don’t.

The point was that a previously healthy guy, aged 50, died of Covid on the programme. We have plenty of naysayers on here who think it's only a serious issue in the elderly or people who have pre existing problems and people have justified certain choices by saying "but I'm only 50 and perfectly fit." Covid is a serious illness for potentially anyone, any age. That was the point.

It's a terrible shame for his friends and family, and I'm not an unbeliever and have been vaccinated.

BUT, his story is still uncommon. Like athletes who have a heart attack while doing a marathon. Like young kids with cancer. Like the 9 year old struck by lightning while playing football.

Yes, they happen but sensible people can differentiate between what is possible and what is probable and the FACTS are that the vast majority of young, healthy people will be absolutely fine.

Some won't. That's terrible for those concerned, but life."

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS  over a year ago

doncaster

I watched it and was heartbroken by David's story , so so sad and it's happened to lots of families all over the world , the Ney Sayers make me so angry

I didn't see it.

I'm sure there are many people that end up in hospital from things that normally don't affect others so badly.

It's scare mongering and coercion.

I'm sad for anyone who has lost anyone due to any illness.

"I didn't see it.

I'm sure there are many people that end up in hospital from things that normally don't affect others so badly.

I'm sad for anyone who has lost anyone due to any illness."

What's scare mongering and coercion ?

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

It's like the saying goes you can't reason with stupidity regardless if have any antibodies having the vaccine is just further protection for oneself and another, I couldn't live with myself if I infected another person and caused their death or made them unwell to need medical treatment and I'm looking forward to next few days to receive my jab

"I didn't see it.

What's scare mongering and coercion ?"

One man of 50yrs old out of how many that died.

I don't know any statistics and I'm sad for his family - but he's not in the majority.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"It's like the saying goes you can't reason with stupidity regardless if have any antibodies having the vaccine is just further protection for oneself and another, I couldn't live with myself if I infected another person and caused their death or made them unwell to need medical treatment and I'm looking forward to next few days to receive my jab"

This ^

I am a full time carer for a family member and the thought of them catching covid because of me turns my stomach, yes I may survive if I am lucky, I may end up like my "fit healthy" brother that now has heart palpitations and breathing issues since catching it, but my mum who I care for stands a high chance of not surviving it after having a third of her lung removed due to cancer this is and the fact I understand and trust science is the reason I have taken every precaution possible since the start of the pandemic and will continue to do so even though it hasn't done my mental health much good it's still better than losing someone I care about.

"I didn't see it.

I don't know any statistics and I'm sad for his family - but he's not in the majority.

"

Ok

"It's like the saying goes you can't reason with stupidity regardless if have any antibodies having the vaccine is just further protection for oneself and another, I couldn't live with myself if I infected another person and caused their death or made them unwell to need medical treatment and I'm looking forward to next few days to receive my jab"

The reason most people don't post in this forum is because it is so aggressive.

Happy Fabbing

By *AABMan  over a year ago

Not far

"I didn't see it.

"

True for his demographic he’s very much an outlier case and young or even middle aged fit and healthy people have a very low statistical chance of dying from Covid. When the media keeps presenting us with these outlier cases I do wonder why, what are they trying to say? The result I think is cynicism from a significant number of people who then say they don’t need the vaccine. However I’ve had my first vaccine dose even though I think I must have contracted Covid asymptotically last year. I’m happy that I’m not likely to be passing Covid on in the future. I’d say to anyone to get the vaccine, it’s not a big deal, and you are helping this country develop herd immunity.

By *lueDressWoman  over a year ago

Bath

I know only too well this Virus IS REAL.I have Long Covid and some days I just want to die.14 Months in I sometimes cant dress or bathe Myself.Pain and stiffness, no taste or smell,migraines,insomnia,heart issues,coughing still, and sometimes bad enough to have the paramedics in.

North West

If anyone wants to check out the demographics of deaths overall, and from Covid in 2021 so far, the ONS website has them in an Excel file. One tab is specifically for Covid deaths:

Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales, provisional

This is an accredited National Statistic.

Click for information about types of official statistics.

Sarah Caul

Release date:

11 May 2021

Next release:

18 May 2021

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"It's like the saying goes you can't reason with stupidity regardless if have any antibodies having the vaccine is just further protection for oneself and another, I couldn't live with myself if I infected another person and caused their death or made them unwell to need medical treatment and I'm looking forward to next few days to receive my jab

This ^

I am a full time carer for a family member and the thought of them catching covid because of me turns my stomach, yes I may survive if I am lucky, I may end up like my "fit healthy" brother that now has heart palpitations and breathing issues since catching it, but my mum who I care for stands a high chance of not surviving it after having a third of her lung removed due to cancer this is and the fact I understand and trust science is the reason I have taken every precaution possible since the start of the pandemic and will continue to do so even though it hasn't done my mental health much good it's still better than losing someone I care about."

I totally understand your position and deep down must feel compassion and for others to wanting to receive the vaccine nothing else would matter to not wanting it giving the number of deaths globally taking that into consideration.

"The reason most people don't post in this forum is because it is so aggressive.

Happy Fabbing "

Some people are aggressive on some threads but most aren't.

» Add a new message to this topic