FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > It's a numbers game

It's a numbers game

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

From public health England... Via the BBC.

"A separate analysis from PHE found the vaccines were highly effective against preventing hospitalisations from the same variant, with two doses of the Pfizer jab 96% effective and the AstraZeneca jab 92%"

So if my layman's brain understands it... Its saying for every 100 infections having a double dose will keep 92 or 96 percent out.or 8 or 4 percent will be hospitalised. Take an average 6 per cent.

Currently double jabbed adults are nearly 70 percent. Meaning 30 per cent of adults have not been double jabbed.

Today's infections 54k. So let's give it a favourable number and say all of those have been double jabbed even though we know that it's only 70 per cent of adults who have been double jabbed.

Any way... 6 per cent hospital admissions of infections. So 6 per cent of 54k infections... If you follow PHE argument would mean... 3240 hospitalisations a day... Everyday.. As infections go up (they have doubled in about a week) so will be over 100k in a few weeks... That's over 6500 hospitalisations a day... Everyday...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

vaccinated or not vaccinated, an infection has not always lead to a hospitalisation. Using the assumption all infections lead to hospitalisations may be why your calculated daily numbers are extraordinarily high.

By *F65Man  over a year ago

Ventnor

"vaccinated or not vaccinated, an infection has not always lead to a hospitalisation. Using the assumption all infections lead to hospitalisations may be why your calculated daily numbers are extraordinarily high.

"

Perfectly answered!

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"vaccinated or not vaccinated, an infection has not always lead to a hospitalisation. Using the assumption all infections lead to hospitalisations may be why your calculated daily numbers are extraordinarily high.

"

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

If 1 of the jabs had 95% efficacy in the trials and in the real world it had exactly the same results, it's easy to think of it in terms of how much extra protected you are.

You would be 20 times less likely to get infected than someone like you who's not vaccinated.

The vaccines also substantially reduce the potential for serious illness and death. Those types of serious illness would be more likely to need hospitalisation than the vaccinated people, who have just a tiny chance of getting a mild infection.

By *rufinWoman  over a year ago

notts

good job it's summer then, when other illnesses are not causing hospitals to be clogged up

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

Yes. If you want a simplistic view of the effects of vaccine on hospitalisations, then it would be: As 66% of the adult population are fully vaccinated and the vaccines are 94% effective, then we could reasonably expect that the number of cases being hospitalized should be around 62% lower than it was before vaccinations.

What that doesn't consider though is improvements in treatments, or the reduction in severity linked to the newer variants.

Cal

By *F65Man  over a year ago

Ventnor

Talking of numbers, the UK currently tests between 1.2 -1.5 million people per day. According to various media/news sites the EU as a whole do not match this number with a population of 300 million plus and that’s just the main countries. Is it no wonder our rates look so high, it’s skewed data.

By *ohnj21Man  over a year ago

Leeds

Yes. If you want a simplistic view of the effects of vaccine on hospitalisations, then it would be: As 66% of the adult population are fully vaccinated and the vaccines are 94% effective, then we could reasonably expect that the number of cases being hospitalized should be around 62% lower than it was before vaccinations.

What that doesn't consider though is improvements in treatments, or the reduction in severity linked to the newer variants.

Cal"

We're does it say new variant less servere

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"

"A separate analysis from PHE found the vaccines were highly effective against preventing hospitalisations from the same variant, with two doses of the Pfizer jab 96% effective and the AstraZeneca jab 92%"

So if my layman's brain understands it... Its saying for every 100 infections having a double dose will keep 92 or 96 percent out.or 8 or 4 percent will be hospitalised. Take an average 6 per cent.

Currently double jabbed adults are nearly 70 percent. Meaning 30 per cent of adults have not been double jabbed.

Today's infections 54k. So let's give it a favourable number and say all of those have been double jabbed even though we know that it's only 70 per cent of adults who have been double jabbed.

Any way... 6 per cent hospital admissions of infections. So 6 per cent of 54k infections... If you follow PHE argument would mean... 3240 hospitalisations a day... Everyday.. As infections go up (they have doubled in about a week) so will be over 100k in a few weeks... That's over 6500 hospitalisations a day... Everyday...

"

Let’s just hope we see the top of this wave before we reach 6500 hospitalisations per day else we will go back into lockdown.

here

The highest number of hospitalisations was January this year - over 4,100 in a day

As we now have 67.8% of the population (over age of 18) double vaccinated I think it highly highly unlikely the daily hospitalisations would exceed the highest hospitalisation day back in January when there was very little vaccine coverage.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Cal

We're does it say new variant less servere"

I presume it's shown by the change in symptoms. The new top 3 symptoms are headache, runny nose, sore throat.

Tin town

"

No that's not an assumption I am making. I'm using the numbers supplied by PHE. That two jabs of a vaccine are 92 or 96 percent effective at preventing hospitalisations. By definition then 8 or 4 percent are hospitalised.

No that's not an assumption I am making. I'm using the numbers supplied by PHE. That two jabs of a vaccine are 92 or 96 percent effective at preventing hospitalisations. By definition then 8 or 4 percent are hospitalised. "

For god’s sake don’t look up the efficacy of the flu vaccine, that’s when you realise we’re all doomed, doomed .

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

No that's not an assumption I am making. I'm using the numbers supplied by PHE. That two jabs of a vaccine are 92 or 96 percent effective at preventing hospitalisations. By definition then 8 or 4 percent are hospitalised. "

No its 8 or 4 percent of the people who would have been hospitalised not the total people vaccinated this is where you are getting confused.

By *Marvel-Man  over a year ago

In The Gym

"

"

I'm going to be honest. You've worked that out incorrectly. The data is correct but your method of calculation isn't.

Tin town

No that's not an assumption I am making. I'm using the numbers supplied by PHE. That two jabs of a vaccine are 92 or 96 percent effective at preventing hospitalisations. By definition then 8 or 4 percent are hospitalised. No its 8 or 4 percent of the people who would have been hospitalised not the total people vaccinated this is where you are getting confused."

OK... Well PHE numbers do not say that but let's assume for one moment that you are correct.

How do you measure something that doesn't actually happen? Ie how does one measure a percentage of people who would have been hospitalised?

And then having measured something that doesn't happen.. How does it make any sense to derive a percentage from that?

here

No that's not an assumption I am making. I'm using the numbers supplied by PHE. That two jabs of a vaccine are 92 or 96 percent effective at preventing hospitalisations. By definition then 8 or 4 percent are hospitalised. No its 8 or 4 percent of the people who would have been hospitalised not the total people vaccinated this is where you are getting confused.

OK... Well PHE numbers do not say that but let's assume for one moment that you are correct.

How do you measure something that doesn't actually happen? Ie how does one measure a percentage of people who would have been hospitalised?

And then having measured something that doesn't happen.. How does it make any sense to derive a percentage from that? "

You are saying that 6% of 56k would definitely end up in hospital.

That wouldn’t be the case as not everyone who is infected has required hospital treatment.

By *urreyloverMan  over a year ago

Guildford

No! That is 92/96 percent of those who would otherwise have been hospitalised.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

We're does it say new variant less servere"

Currently, the newer variants have been shown to be more infectious, but less severe.

Cal

here

Announced today that 60% of hospitalisations are those who are double vaccinated.

The vaccine dramatically reduces hospitalisations.

I would have expected a higher percentage from those not vaccinated …

What’s the maths on this?

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

"Announced today that 60% of hospitalisations are those who are double vaccinated.

What’s the maths on this?"

68% of the adult population are double vaccinated..

32% are single vaccinated or not at all (unvaccinated adults is around 12%)

So 68% are 60% of hospitalisations.

32% are 40% of hospitalisations.

here

"Announced today that 60% of hospitalisations are those who are double vaccinated.

What’s the maths on this?"

Just corrected by Vallance

Now the statistic makes sense

60% of hospitalisations are from unvaccinated

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

What’s the maths on this?

Just corrected by Vallance

Now the statistic makes sense

60% of hospitalisations are from unvaccinated

"

I’ve just read that as well

By *lirtyfun!!Woman  over a year ago

London

"

"

No - you've misunderstood the stat completely I'm afraid. The jabs are ~95% effective at preventing hospitalisations. This means that of 100 people who've had both jabs and would have previously ended up in hospital if they'd caught covid before being jabbed, 4-8 of them will still end up there. Of the other 92-96, some won't catch covid at all and some will catch it but with less severe symptoms.

"

Any way... 6 per cent hospital admissions of infections. So 6 per cent of 54k infections... If you follow PHE argument would mean... 3240 hospitalisations a day... Everyday.. As infections go up (they have doubled in about a week) so will be over 100k in a few weeks... That's over 6500 hospitalisations a day... Everyday... Just shows how a total lack of understanding of the subject can lead one to such ridiculous conclusions. To start with about 99% of infected people never even feel particularly ill even without a vaccination. Therefore your starting figure is approximately 1% of infected people who would ordinarily need hospitalisation. Then adjust for the benefit of vaccination !!!!!

"

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

Trouble is there is a massive backlog of operations need doing, Covid cases are adding to the load.

» Add a new message to this topic