FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > For or Against masking in enclosed spaces?

For or Against masking in enclosed spaces?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

We've, IE me and the wife have and still are wearing masks in enclosed spaces. We rarely go to the shops, supermarket as everthing is done on line. Had a few hospital appts and detal as well as gp, wore masks and the majority were wearing them in these settings.

In the local supermarket its about 20% but we have only really been outside peak hours and often see elderly frail people about but recent days more people wearing masks.

We both feel it is prudent to order the mandatory wearing of masks in all enclosed settings especailly public transport and shops but possibly not pubs/etc as people go there 100% by choice. Going to the food shop, chemist etc is not always a choice

To avoid lockdown and worse still a lot more illnesss, serious illness, and death, we feel our government has been willfully incompenet. You would have thought they'd know better by now

Wearing of masks now and no lockdowms will ino reduce the risk of the spread of the virus and its outcomes inc sickness/death etc.

Are you for masks in all shops, public transport and public buildings and schools for those aged 11 and over we are

Btw, top medial experts representatives have been in the media telling the gov to put planB at least into motion

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

For. Reduce transmission, reduce the need for harsher intervention.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

I wore them throughout, despite having massive panic attacks when I have anything over my face. It got to stage where I just avoided anywhere I had to wear a mask. If its reintroduced I will be claiming exemption.

I'll keep my distance and shop at quieter times to reduce my risk.

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

I still use a mask when shopping and for work and will carry on through the winter. I think wearing a mask is a small price to pay to keep pressure off the NHS

By *eachcplCouple  over a year ago

blackpool/preston/normandy france

Here in France it is still compulsory to wear masks in all shops and places like cafes and bars until you are sat at a table. Although there is still covid about the numbers are nothing like the UK. The UK government are waiting like they did before and when they do eventually impose sanctions it will be too late and the virus will be prevelant in massive numbers. They just don't learn from previously and seem to think they know better than people in the medical profession.

Having said that whenever you see the British on tv in any scenario there is not a mask being worn by anyone. Just glad not to be in the UK.

Thank you likmeinded posters three i read so far.

Top tip but please do your own research and I wear these but Tej wears one of those showy black masks that are not as effective

I wear a PP3 mask they call it N75 or something like that in the usa i think these are the most effective in not just protecting those around you but you as well if worn correctly

Look it up, pp3 masks, the next best thing before the more expensive options and bulky options.

btw, one of our children has severe ashtma and she really can't wear a mask other than when feeling a lot better even then 10 mins depnding on the weather so she does no go out to shops etc or go very quiet periods if real needs to and wears a face shield.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

We've never stopped wearing them. In shops, moving around restaurants, on public transport, at work etc. Unless someone has a good reason (exemption), it seems to us to be a low effort way to minimise transmission of all manner of diseases.

"I still use a mask when shopping and for work and will carry on through the winter. I think wearing a mask is a small price to pay to keep pressure off the NHS "

100 our point put in more concisely, thank you

Manchester (she/her)

"We've never stopped wearing them. In shops, moving around restaurants, on public transport, at work etc. Unless someone has a good reason (exemption), it seems to us to be a low effort way to minimise transmission of all manner of diseases."

Less germs circulating is a win for me

"We've never stopped wearing them. In shops, moving around restaurants, on public transport, at work etc. Unless someone has a good reason (exemption), it seems to us to be a low effort way to minimise transmission of all manner of diseases.

Less germs circulating is a win for me "

On that point "germs" one would think it was common sense to wear masks in public spaces escially during winter.

Watching tv, C5 Jeremmy Vine show - i think they said mask wearing was stilling going on in scotland and the whole of the EU and people were shocked when they arrived in england to see how the rules had been relaxed.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

I'm not convinced masks will make much difference..have you seen the numbers? I also don't believe vax and just carry on is the answer yet. Have you seen anyone wearing a mask on TV? What examples are being set? Rees mogg... We are all friends so we don't need to wear masks and take precautions.

I think something needs to be done and soon but not sure masks are the answer on their own. It's predictable. It's being used to jab the last few percent of population. Javids jab or be locked down threats are disgusting.

For what it's worth... I wear worn one when shopping, I work outside so don't for that... And take reasonable hygiene precautions as always. I'll get a booster if offered one. I'd rather not, but choosing my risks and it seems the better of two evils for me. It won't be for everyone.

Id add we don't need a govt to tell us to take sensible precautions. We are free and able to do that for ourselves. But of course it would be a lot easier if they showed some leadership in these tricky times.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I found it very difficult to wear a mask during lockdown and couldn’t wait to get rid of it. I often found it quite overwhelming.

I am however very much for and would try to do it again.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Wear masks here and it really isn’t a problem for us and when we visited the UK last month we cut our six day visit short by three days as we felt unsafe by the complete lack of rules regarding covid.

When we landed back in France it was an absolute pleasure to show our covid passports to enter a cafe and nice to see 100% compliance.

We worry for our kids in England.

T

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Id add we don't need a govt to tell us to take sensible precautions. We are free and able to do that for ourselves. But of course it would be a lot easier if they showed some leadership in these tricky times.

"

It seems we do as hardly anyone is wearing one even though the guidance is to. However if the Government don't lead by example then some people will say sod that,they are not wearing one

Us personally for the things we used to do before the pandemic we won't be doing through this winter while the cases are so high as they were all inside ,but when we do go out for other things then we wear a mask yes.

To the people who will say just live your life...Yes I am still living my life, I am just living it a slightly different way and I can live it while wearing a mask and trying to stay away from strangers

"I'm not convinced masks will make much difference..have you seen the numbers? I also don't believe vax and just carry on is the answer yet. Have you seen anyone wearing a mask on TV? What examples are being set? Rees mogg... We are all friends so we don't need to wear masks and take precautions.

I think something needs to be done and soon but not sure masks are the answer on their own. It's predictable. It's being used to jab the last few percent of population. Javids jab or be locked down threats are disgusting.

For what it's worth... I wear worn one when shopping, I work outside so don't for that... And take reasonable hygiene precautions as always. I'll get a booster if offered one. I'd rather not, but choosing my risks and it seems the better of two evils for me. It won't be for everyone.

"

Thanks for the honest post.

You say you dont want our gov to tellus to take "sensible precatutions." Sadly too many brainless people around that are not "sensible."

If everyone was sensible they would not smoke nd the gov would not need to bring in laws

Set belts every tom/dick and harrys knows it reduces risk in a crash yet many donkeys still do not wear one and worse still, dangerous fools have children in cars etc and none are wearing seat belts.

"I found it very difficult to wear a mask during lockdown and couldn’t wait to get rid of it. I often found it quite overwhelming.

I am however very much for and would try to do it again. "

I take my hat off to you.

You are like many on this thread, IE

Protecting others around you in the hope they protect you and in turn protect the NHS and keep us free of lockdowns and illness and orher negatives of these virus.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Never stopped wearing masks in shops etc.

Never found it an issue.

Manchester (she/her)

"

It seems we do as hardly anyone is wearing one even though the guidance is to. However if the Government don't lead by example then some people will say sod that,they are not wearing one

Us personally for the things we used to do before the pandemic we won't be doing through this winter while the cases are so high as they were all inside ,but when we do go out for other things then we wear a mask yes.

To the people who will say just live your life...Yes I am still living my life, I am just living it a slightly different way and I can live it while wearing a mask and trying to stay away from strangers"

I think we need leadership, as you say, and we don't have it. Leading by example and talking about the community, not the individual.

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

"We've never stopped wearing them. In shops, moving around restaurants, on public transport, at work etc. Unless someone has a good reason (exemption), it seems to us to be a low effort way to minimise transmission of all manner of diseases.

Less germs circulating is a win for me

On that point "germs" one would think it was common sense to wear masks in public spaces escially during winter.

Watching tv, C5 Jeremmy Vine show - i think they said mask wearing was stilling going on in scotland and the whole of the EU and people were shocked when they arrived in england to see how the rules had been relaxed.

"

We're still having to wear masks in shops and indoor public spaces in Wales too. Our new daily case rates have been between 2500 - 3000 for the past couple of months. Transmission in schools might account for a lot of this as they're not obliged to wear masks.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Against ever wearing a mask again , unless your wearing medical approved there useless , probley cause more infections after people stuff them in there pockets

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Against ever wearing a mask again , unless your wearing medical approved there useless , probley cause more infections after people stuff them in there pockets "

Why? do the pockets have covid?

Herne Bay

"Against ever wearing a mask again , unless your wearing medical approved there useless , probley cause more infections after people stuff them in there pockets

Why? do the pockets have covid?"

they might not have but got plenty of other germs ,

Manchester (she/her)

"Against ever wearing a mask again , unless your wearing medical approved there useless , probley cause more infections after people stuff them in there pockets "

So don't stuff it in your pocket

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

We needed leadership in late Feb/early Mar of last year but what we had was dithering which cost lives and throughout its been the case..

Sadly I think any such firming up of recommendations etc to come will be largely ignored and the corresponding rise in deaths over the average will reflect this..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Against ever wearing a mask again , unless your wearing medical approved there useless , probley cause more infections after people stuff them in there pockets

Why? do the pockets have covid? they might not have but got plenty of other germs , "

I don't want to take from the OP but In which case, people seem to have lived for years with germs that you say are in pockets every time they stick their keys etc in there

Obviously it is up to you whether you want to wear a mask or not and don't have to give a reason why, but that seems a lame one.

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

Judging by the images from the recent Labour Party shindig, they're not too sure. No sign of masks or distancing at their boozy karaoke party but all distanced and masked up in nicely Parliament.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Judging by the images from the recent Labour Party shindig, they're not too sure. No sign of masks or distancing at their boozy karaoke party but all distanced and masked up in nicely Parliament."

No examples set at all, but then they said yesterday they agree with plan A so they are doing the same as the Government, pretending you should while not doing it when it suits

Herne Bay

Why? do the pockets have covid? they might not have but got plenty of other germs ,

I don't want to take from the OP but In which case, people seem to have lived for years with germs that you say are in pockets every time they stick their keys etc in there

Obviously it is up to you whether you want to wear a mask or not and don't have to give a reason why, but that seems a lame one.

"

we said the reason unless your wearing the approved BS ones they are useless

Manchester (she/her)

Why? do the pockets have covid? they might not have but got plenty of other germs ,

we said the reason unless your wearing the approved BS ones they are useless "

That's funny, because all the studies I've seen that study the mechanisms of source control show that even cloth masks reduce spread.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

we said the reason unless your wearing the approved BS ones they are useless "

Why are you against wearing a mask if asked or if it became law?

For. It’s such a small thing to do, and if it helps protect people, then why not?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"I'm not convinced masks will make much difference..have you seen the numbers? I also don't believe vax and just carry on is the answer yet. Have you seen anyone wearing a mask on TV? What examples are being set? Rees mogg... We are all friends so we don't need to wear masks and take precautions.

You say you dont want our gov to tellus to take "sensible precatutions." Sadly too many brainless people around that are not "sensible."

If everyone was sensible they would not smoke nd the gov would not need to bring in laws

Set belts every tom/dick and harrys knows it reduces risk in a crash yet many donkeys still do not wear one and worse still, dangerous fools have children in cars etc and none are wearing seat belts."

You quoted me as saying I didn't WANT the govt to tell us to wear masks.

I didn't say that.

What I said was that we don't NEED the govt to tell us to take sensible precautions because we are all very capable of wearing masks right now.

The trouble is it seems we are not educated enough to be trusted with some things.

I (Jake) don't wear a mask and I don't want to.

I was very compliant for the first lockdown and wore it everywhere. Then all vulnerable groups were vaccinated and I began hearing conflicting info about the efficacy of the typical masks we were wearing in preventing transmission.

Got my jabs along with the other over 35s and yet still couldn't go hug my family. Gave up after that. Just totally burned out.

Now, or back when they were mandated, if someone refuses me entry based on me not wearing a mask, I weigh up how much I need/want the product or service before complying. Most of the time I just leave if asked to wear a mask.

You might think this is a selfish approach, but I honestly don't care. I don't believe you or your granny are going to die if I don't wear a mask in Tesco.

Have your jabs and stay away from me if you're scared. I'm not wearing a mask to make you feel safe.

Manchester (she/her)

Set belts every tom/dick and harrys knows it reduces risk in a crash yet many donkeys still do not wear one and worse still, dangerous fools have children in cars etc and none are wearing seat belts.

You quoted me as saying I didn't WANT the govt to tell us to wear masks.

I didn't say that.

What I said was that we don't NEED the govt to tell us to take sensible precautions because we are all very capable of wearing masks right now.

The trouble is it seems we are not educated enough to be trusted with some things. "

It seems like we shouldn't need it, but evidently we do.

By *scobar67Man  over a year ago

glasgow

I dont wear masks at all... Personal choice to what other people do

The reality is fighting infection rates is a bit like Team GB’s approach to Olympic Cycling, Marginal gains.

It’s very easy to cite mists masks have a limited affect, vaccinations only provide a level of protection yet no guarantee etc but the only route to a success outcome is the widespread up keep of all these small acts.

In the same way as a few gms saved, a slightly improved position or technique when amassed has resulted in unparalleled a wide ranging Olympic success in successive events the same can be done with these covid precautions.

Better hand hygiene, masks, space, ventilation when practiced by millions would make a huge difference.

There’s no reason why we shouldn’t all be able to contribute to a better outcome, l’ve heard all the reasoning why you shouldn’t and the blunt truth is they are ridiculous excuses. If you’re worried about ‘pocket germs’, store your mask in a little ziplock bag.

Terra Firma

"You might think this is a selfish approach, but I honestly don't care. I don't believe you or your granny are going to die if I don't wear a mask in Tesco.

Have your jabs and stay away from me if you're scared. I'm not wearing a mask to make you feel safe. "

You say you don't care, of course I don't think it is selfish.....

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

Like the vaccine the mask should be a personal choice.

Personal autonomy!

Manchester (she/her)

"The reality is fighting infection rates is a bit like Team GB’s approach to Olympic Cycling, Marginal gains.

It’s very easy to cite mists masks have a limited affect, vaccinations only provide a level of protection yet no guarantee etc but the only route to a success outcome is the widespread up keep of all these small acts.

In the same way as a few gms saved, a slightly improved position or technique when amassed has resulted in unparalleled a wide ranging Olympic success in successive events the same can be done with these covid precautions.

Better hand hygiene, masks, space, ventilation when practiced by millions would make a huge difference.

There’s no reason why we shouldn’t all be able to contribute to a better outcome, l’ve heard all the reasoning why you shouldn’t and the blunt truth is they are ridiculous excuses. If you’re worried about ‘pocket germs’, store your mask in a little ziplock bag."

Exactly that. I'm doing what's in my power to chip away at this virus. The same way I do "things that might help a bit" for my health, like vitamin D supplementation or making sure there's a variety of vegetables in my diet.

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan  over a year ago

City

I honestly think the masks did more for the numbers than the vaccine did. As soon as the removed numbers spike, as soon as back on they fall.

Masks have been proved not to work! Unless you renew your mask every 15 minutes you are creating problems for yourself! Breathing fresh air is healthier and safer if you think not then unfortunately YOU are the problem

Terra Firma

"Masks have been proved not to work! Unless you renew your mask every 15 minutes you are creating problems for yourself! Breathing fresh air is healthier and safer if you think not then unfortunately YOU are the problem"

I'm not sure if the forums have a fact check process but I would like to offer this up if it does.

There are a number of videos online that prove that wearing, even the most robust face covering, is a waste of effort.

If anything they are guaranteed to soak up germs.

Terra Firma

"There are a number of videos online that prove that wearing, even the most robust face covering, is a waste of effort.

"

Maybe a face mask would be better?

"I honestly think the masks did more for the numbers than the vaccine did. As soon as the removed numbers spike, as soon as back on they fall."

I’m a firm believer in masks but… absolutely not, the vaccines impact is critical in comparison

"There are a number of videos online that prove that wearing, even the most robust face covering, is a waste of effort.

"

Prove?

Strange as the medical community and particularly those specialising in virology completely disagree.

I guess you and your YouTube video know better though.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

We always do

There are some that can't and that's absolutely fine but we won't be getting close to them.

There are some deluded people that make up stupid excuses not to wear one or believe what we consider to be rubbish on facetube and the likes and we certainly don't want anything to do with them, and it's not because they don't wear a mask it's that they are incompatible with us full stop

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

"For. Reduce transmission, reduce the need for harsher intervention."

This. The jury is not out. There's decades of evidence showing face masks help prevent transmission of respiratory viruses when people are indoors.

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

For

You still have to, here in Wales, unless it’s a hospitality business.

No problem with it.

Manchester (she/her)

"

I suspect you mean something very different to me when you use the word "prove".

Because I can't even imagine the mechanism via which a video online would "prove" anything definitively. Argue? Sure (good argument, maybe not). Present evidence? Sure (good or accurate evidence, maybe not). Prove? Way higher bar. Impossible.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I don't like masks but have gone back to wearing them in all indoor situations unless I'm eating or drinking.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Definitely for..we haven't stopped wearing ours

"Masks have been proved not to work! Unless you renew your mask every 15 minutes you are creating problems for yourself! Breathing fresh air is healthier and safer if you think not then unfortunately YOU are the problem"

Please qualify that from a credible source backed up by a couple of other sources.

Are you telling us that hosptial staff etc that are often well protected wearing masks change them every 15 mins - i thought not

By *AURA6969TV/TS  over a year ago

RUGBY

For we wear ours whenever we go any public buildings supermarkets chemist takeaways

Manchester (she/her)

"Masks have been proved not to work! Unless you renew your mask every 15 minutes you are creating problems for yourself! Breathing fresh air is healthier and safer if you think not then unfortunately YOU are the problem

Please qualify that from a credible source backed up by a couple of other sources.

Are you telling us that hosptial staff etc that are often well protected wearing masks change them every 15 mins - i thought not"

And even if we're wrong, why am I a problem if I put cloth on my face? Let alone "the" problem. I thought the problem was a virus

Luton

This is the thing....if masks don't help, what's the worst that can happen? You look a little silly?

If they do, and you choose not to wear one when you can, the worst is tens of thousands more deaths, more serious illness, more long covid, more suffering.

I stopped wearing them (when not at work) when everything was relaxed.

I’m now going back to them as I’ve had so many colds and lurgy since stopping. I bloody hate the things but that’s what I’m going to do. I do most of my shopping online but I do venture out occasionally

By *isspurplechesterWoman  over a year ago

Chester

Here in my part of Wales, masks still have to be worn in public places and on transport, they also have to be worn by kids in high school! Yet we can cross the border and don’t have to wear them! I’ve been mask exempt throughout, so have never worn one! But it is quite confusing tbh when your time is split between England and Wales, what the current guidance is! Yes going to a pub is choice, unless you work in hospitality, although we don’t have to wear masks in pubs here, I would say over 50% still do when not seated! I personally think it should be a choice!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The wording of the message is all wrong in England…. Rather than saying “you don’t have to wear them but we prefer that you did as we are all in this together!”

If they said “you have to wear them in indoor settings unless the shop says you don’t have to” that would be so much simpler…

So let pubs and nightclubs have their “you don’t have to wear a mask here” signs… at least you know.. you can then make the call….

There….. how simple is that messaging!!!!!!!!

Reading through the messages and doing a bit of research i was not aware that the whole of the eu is still wearing masks in many settings. Importantly our brothers and sisters in Scotland and wlaes appear to be on the whole wearing them in far greater numbers than our lot in England

I put it down to the incompetent, hypocritical government recommeding people wear them but they think they are too good to wear them and put others at risk as mask wearing reduces risk in enclosed spaces especially

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

We have to wear them but we are seeing a very high increase in the amount of people that are now exempt from wearing them .

Went shopping other week about 30 people in the shop not a very big shop 3 people in masks myself and my husband included and the rest were apparently exempt.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

In the shops I use, it's rare to see people without masks.

With most complex issues, a thorough, integrated approach tends to be better than just 1 solitary action. With the lockdown periods, we likely did better with social distancing, mask wearing, home working than any 1 alone. We have few restrictions now and it's clear that some people need to have enforced rules before they do the right thing. Most people are poor judges of risks, nor do statistical analysis. Keeping it simple for them is helpful and may save their lives.

Thev43,000 people who were given false negative test results are likely to have led to 500 to 1,000 deaths. Some of these infected people would not have worn masks. Those who they infected will still be infecting others, so the total who die from that lab error will continue to grow . This is the case too, with anyone who is not masked and infects others - their trail of casualties will never stop

Even if not called Plan B, we should reintroduce masks and social distancing immediately.

We're not planning to eradicate it but should reduce its spread as much as possible through winter.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

You might think this is a selfish approach, but I honestly don't care. I don't believe you or your granny are going to die if I don't wear a mask in Tesco.

"

They may do

Sadly there seems a lot of people who say they don't care about others, just like you have said. I find comments like that really alien

North West

"

Have your jabs and stay away from me if you're scared. I'm not wearing a mask to make you feel safe. "

I don't think. I know. My Grandad died of COVID in January this year. He had not left his (isolated rural) house/garden since before Christmas. He was infected with COVID by people who probably caught it in somewhere like Tesco, because they didn't believe in COVID and prided themselves on not wearing masks. Those people lived with my Grandad - his daughter (my mother) and her husband.

Not only did my Grandad die, so did my stepfather, my mother's husband. That's two deaths in one household caused by people who decided they did not need to wear masks in Tesco/ASDA. At the point my Grandad and stepfather became ill, we'd been in lockdown 3 for nearly two weeks and so apart from the shops, there were few places for my mother and her husband to have caught COVID.

I am not fear mongering or scaremongering. I have reported the facts of my family's experience only. I've had my vaccines - sadly my Grandad didn't get his in time. He was due his first one on the day he was admitted to hospital with COVID. I'm working FT alongside others (with my mask wearing), I'm going to carefully selected social activities (with my mask wearing). I'm taking 3 LFTs a week and doing my level best to protect not only me and my family, but the other people around me too.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

For. I stopped wearing one for a while but started again a couple of weeks ago when the numbers started to go up again. I also wear one at work, in a shop that is regularly rammed. Not many of our customers do unfortunately.

I'm really hoping they put 'plan b' into action soon!

glasgow

Wearing a mask.

Getting The vaccine

Getting a booster after the vaccine

But you can still catch and pass covid on... So really what I think we have to do is socialise again to build up the immune system up

The annoying thing about this all is that the British public have been asked to show common sense and be considerate of others.. yet again 99% of the British public have shown they are selfish pricks, refuse to wear masks, refuse to follow rules, however they were first i line to get the vaccine when they realised can't go on holiday etc.

France, you have to show double vaxxed to go in restaurant. Euro Disney take mask off noses for 2 seconds someone is there telling you to put it back on... no moaning, no arguing. They are doing what is required..

By *Just meMan  over a year ago

basingstoke

I have asthma too... I prefer wearing a mask rather than risking covid which would severely effect my chest and hospitalise me and risk of death... Simple choice.

Face shields are utterly worthless for use. They will only stop direct large droplets - they wont stop any level of viral load that is airbourne. Think about it this way... Did soldiers in WW1 wear helmets or gas masks when they got gas attacked? Why did they choose gas masks? Only answer - gas masks work. So do face mask. Face shields are the equivalent of using a baseball cap for protection against the virus. Sorry to be blunt but face shields place people at a much higher risk of contracting it...

Additionally almost ALL the children who have died have had comorbidities that increased their risk such as Asthma. Sorry to be blunt - just providing the truth.

By *Just meMan  over a year ago

basingstoke

Totally agree

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"The annoying thing about this all is that the British public have been asked to show common sense and be considerate of others.. yet again 99% of the British public have shown they are selfish pricks, refuse to wear masks, refuse to follow rules, however they were first i line to get the vaccine when they realised can't go on holiday etc.

France, you have to show double vaxxed to go in restaurant. Euro Disney take mask off noses for 2 seconds someone is there telling you to put it back on... no moaning, no arguing. They are doing what is required.."

Masks are not to protect you they are to help protect others. They help to catch YOUR breath (unless you wear them as a chin diaper).

It works on the same principle as surgical staff wearing masks in an operating theatre (to stop THEM spreading germs to patient).

If you are the only person wearing a mask on a crowded train/tube carriage then it is indeed pretty pointless. If everyone is it helps reduce airborne particles, not eradicate, reduce!

Every little helps!

By *enuineguy76Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Be aware that your typical mask is made out of polypropylene; therefore there’s a risk of polypropylene fibres entering your lungs especially for those who have to wear them all day in the hospitality sector. But your own choice as long as you have done your own assessment on the risk benefit of wearing them.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"Be aware that your typical mask is made out of polypropylene; therefore there’s a risk of polypropylene fibres entering your lungs especially for those who have to wear them all day in the hospitality sector. But your own choice as long as you have done your own assessment on the risk benefit of wearing them. "

And any risk assessment of it would say wear a bloody mask.

"Like the vaccine the mask should be a personal choice.

Personal autonomy! "

I will be seeing you in the A&E

By *estriancdtopTV/TS  over a year ago

chester

Unfortunately this isn’t going away ever it like flu so every one ultimately going to get it unless you stay at home never leave the house and don’t have any visitors, anything less than a fpp3 mask is a waste of time and what you’ve had it your 7 times better protected than protection your vaccine offers on average so this is why the government is making minimal attempts to stop you getting it as ultimately it a futile exercise.

Durham

"Unfortunately this isn’t going away ever it like flu so every one ultimately going to get it unless you stay at home never leave the house and don’t have any visitors, anything less than a fpp3 mask is a waste of time and what you’ve had it your 7 times better protected than protection your vaccine offers on average so this is why the government is making minimal attempts to stop you getting it as ultimately it a futile exercise."

Where are you getting your numbers for natural immunity from. The numbers I have seen natural immunity is no where near as effective. Natural immunity unfortunately comes with nasty side effects such as death, organ damage, long covid and also an unchecked natural immunity strategy would overwhelm the nhs very quickly.

Glasgow

"Be aware that your typical mask is made out of polypropylene; therefore there’s a risk of polypropylene fibres entering your lungs especially for those who have to wear them all day in the hospitality sector. But your own choice as long as you have done your own assessment on the risk benefit of wearing them.

And any risk assessment of it would say wear a bloody mask."

your typical mask are only suitable for short term one off use and then to be discarded - not scrumpled up in and out of someone’s back pocket for a few weeks; this causes friction and abrasion of the polypropylene fibres making it more likely to breath in micro plastics into your lungs , not to mention all the bacteria they pick up during that period.

By *VEJOEMan  over a year ago

Middridge

The debate about mask is a pointless waste of time. You only have to look at how long surgeons have been wearing them in theater and why they limit the chances of passing infection to the patient. We should all be responsible and wear a mask in to appropriate locations.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Be aware that your typical mask is made out of polypropylene; therefore there’s a risk of polypropylene fibres entering your lungs especially for those who have to wear them all day in the hospitality sector. But your own choice as long as you have done your own assessment on the risk benefit of wearing them.

And any risk assessment of it would say wear a bloody mask. your typical mask are only suitable for short term one off use and then to be discarded - not scrumpled up in and out of someone’s back pocket for a few weeks; this causes friction and abrasion of the polypropylene fibres making it more likely to breath in micro plastics into your lungs , not to mention all the bacteria they pick up during that period. "

Are a yes or no to a mask?

As ever in these debates there’s a split between those who are empathic, socially conscious, have suffered bereavement through covid (like us) etc and those who claim their personal freedom and ‘rights’…

Which is why we have laws for the greater good: speed limits, seat belts, smoking restrictions etc.

The most important freedom and right is to live and be as healthy as possible…it’s temporary anyway and not the worst thing…make it law… FOR

Manchester (she/her)

"As ever in these debates there’s a split between those who are empathic, socially conscious, have suffered bereavement through covid (like us) etc and those who claim their personal freedom and ‘rights’…

Which is why we have laws for the greater good: speed limits, seat belts, smoking restrictions etc.

The most important freedom and right is to live and be as healthy as possible…it’s temporary anyway and not the worst thing…make it law… FOR "

I'm sorry for your loss

Just back from Gran C, and masks shopping and inside the hotels and indoor places.. but most locals wear them outside too. Xx mixed signals

Glasgow

And any risk assessment of it would say wear a bloody mask. your typical mask are only suitable for short term one off use and then to be discarded - not scrumpled up in and out of someone’s back pocket for a few weeks; this causes friction and abrasion of the polypropylene fibres making it more likely to breath in micro plastics into your lungs , not to mention all the bacteria they pick up during that period. "

if surgeons are sick they do not attend the theatre. the purpose of wearing a surgical mask in operating theatre is to protect the surgeon from potential blood splatter whilst operating.

Thank you

Durham

And any risk assessment of it would say wear a bloody mask. your typical mask are only suitable for short term one off use and then to be discarded - not scrumpled up in and out of someone’s back pocket for a few weeks; this causes friction and abrasion of the polypropylene fibres making it more likely to breath in micro plastics into your lungs , not to mention all the bacteria they pick up during that period. if surgeons are sick they do not attend the theatre. the purpose of wearing a surgical mask in operating theatre is to protect the surgeon from potential blood splatter whilst operating. "

Correct Plus the spread of sputum from the surgeon and operating staff to the patient.

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

And any risk assessment of it would say wear a bloody mask. your typical mask are only suitable for short term one off use and then to be discarded - not scrumpled up in and out of someone’s back pocket for a few weeks; this causes friction and abrasion of the polypropylene fibres making it more likely to breath in micro plastics into your lungs , not to mention all the bacteria they pick up during that period. if surgeons are sick they do not attend the theatre. the purpose of wearing a surgical mask in operating theatre is to protect the surgeon from potential blood splatter whilst operating. "

This is not the main purpose of a face mask for a surgeon- it’s to protect the surgical site that she/he maybe operating on from infection.

Face shields are more useful to prevent spatter.

More on the op’s subject- masks are essential and should be made mandatory indoors if we are to avoid another lockdown

North West

No, it's not. Surgeons were masks over their nose and mouth to stop droplets of sputum from them dropping into the open wound they're working on. They wear goggles or face shields to protect THEM from splatters, which is why face shields are utterly useless as a "stop COVID" mechanism.

To quote from this BBC article:

"In a hospital, doctors and nurses wear these kinds of masks during surgery, to stop any bacteria or infection they might have from coming into contact with their patient."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51243881

If you search engine "why do surgeons wear masks?" there are also lots of other articles which explain it.

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

I'm strongly in favour. Huge payoffs for such minimum effort. It's embarrassing that it's even a question.

Glasgow

And any risk assessment of it would say wear a bloody mask. your typical mask are only suitable for short term one off use and then to be discarded - not scrumpled up in and out of someone’s back pocket for a few weeks; this causes friction and abrasion of the polypropylene fibres making it more likely to breath in micro plastics into your lungs , not to mention all the bacteria they pick up during that period. if surgeons are sick they do not attend the theatre. the purpose of wearing a surgical mask in operating theatre is to protect the surgeon from potential blood splatter whilst operating.

No, it's not. Surgeons were masks over their nose and mouth to stop droplets of sputum from them dropping into the open wound they're working on. They wear goggles or face shields to protect THEM from splatters, which is why face shields are utterly useless as a "stop COVID" mechanism.

"In a hospital, doctors and nurses wear these kinds of masks during surgery, to stop any bacteria or infection they might have from coming into contact with their patient."

If you search engine "why do surgeons wear masks?" there are also lots of other articles which explain it.

"

where would we be without google and the bbc. Many thanks for sharing that.

North West

And any risk assessment of it would say wear a bloody mask. your typical mask are only suitable for short term one off use and then to be discarded - not scrumpled up in and out of someone’s back pocket for a few weeks; this causes friction and abrasion of the polypropylene fibres making it more likely to breath in micro plastics into your lungs , not to mention all the bacteria they pick up during that period. if surgeons are sick they do not attend the theatre. the purpose of wearing a surgical mask in operating theatre is to protect the surgeon from potential blood splatter whilst operating.

where would we be without google and the bbc. Many thanks for sharing that. "

It's called providing evidence. There's numerous articles in things like the British Medical Journal or on the Royal College of Surgeons website, but Fab does not allow links to such resources.

By *anddXXXCouple  over a year ago

London

Don't even own one now, but was happy to wear one when it was mandatory.

This thread is interesting, prob 99% of people on this site have never ventured into the forum and the virus section, so I would assume that the people who do and it does appear to be the same 30 or so profiles that dominate every thread are more interested than the general populous is. Reading this thread prob 80% of the contributors have stated they still wear a mask and have never stopped. In the last 3 months, I've been to 7 events with between 20 and 60 thousand people, travelled on airplanes, trains up North and countless Tube journeys. Eaten out at least twice a week and had the odd venture or two into a pub and I can honestly say, except on the airplanes the percentage of people I see wearing a mask is less than 5% and probably not even that high.

Which says to me that these threads, just like Political ones attract only the interested people and it becomes easy to think that everyone has the very similar views to you as they are the only people speaking back to you and mostly agreeing. It's unfortunate to those who still aren't going out, but this Covid isnt going anywhere for years if not ever. So it appears that most people have looked in the mirror wobbled their heads and just got on with life again. It's harsh, but sitting at home worrying about what they are doing in New Zealand or how many people are vaccinated in Peru or searching google to find the latest doom and gloom figures is pointless. We can't stay off work for an indeterminate time, same for the lock downs, eventually everyone needs to do their own risk assessment and get on with it.

Glasgow

"Don't even own one now, but was happy to wear one when it was mandatory.

This thread is interesting, prob 99% of people on this site have never ventured into the forum and the virus section, so I would assume that the people who do and it does appear to be the same 30 or so profiles that dominate every thread are more interested than the general populous is. Reading this thread prob 80% of the contributors have stated they still wear a mask and have never stopped. In the last 3 months, I've been to 7 events with between 20 and 60 thousand people, travelled on airplanes, trains up North and countless Tube journeys. Eaten out at least twice a week and had the odd venture or two into a pub and I can honestly say, except on the airplanes the percentage of people I see wearing a mask is less than 5% and probably not even that high.

Which says to me that these threads, just like Political ones attract only the interested people and it becomes easy to think that everyone has the very similar views to you as they are the only people speaking back to you and mostly agreeing. It's unfortunate to those who still aren't going out, but this Covid isnt going anywhere for years if not ever. So it appears that most people have looked in the mirror wobbled their heads and just got on with life again. It's harsh, but sitting at home worrying about what they are doing in New Zealand or how many people are vaccinated in Peru or searching google to find the latest doom and gloom figures is pointless. We can't stay off work for an indeterminate time, same for the lock downs, eventually everyone needs to do their own risk assessment and get on with it. "

great big picture overview I must say and a very interesting perspective especially providing real life experience of what you have seen. Excellent and it gives me hope that people can think for themselves after all and understand what life and living is all about . Bravo !

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Thank you likmeinded posters three i read so far.

Top tip but please do your own research and I wear these but Tej wears one of those showy black masks that are not as effective

I wear a PP3 mask they call it N75 or something like that in the usa i think these are the most effective in not just protecting those around you but you as well if worn correctly

Look it up, pp3 masks, the next best thing before the more expensive options and bulky options.

btw, one of our children has severe ashtma and she really can't wear a mask other than when feeling a lot better even then 10 mins depnding on the weather so she does no go out to shops etc or go very quiet periods if real needs to and wears a face shield."

The N75 mask protects you. But not others as it has an exhaust port in the mask somewhere.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Id add we don't need a govt to tell us to take sensible precautions. We are free and able to do that for ourselves. But of course it would be a lot easier if they showed some leadership in these tricky times.

"

That worked so well in the past, leaving it to people to be sensible.

We wouldn't have an increase in reported cases, if people are being sensible.

As for the government putting things in place, they have handled this whole pandemic is a very bad way. Why do you expect them to change now.

Manchester (she/her)

"Id add we don't need a govt to tell us to take sensible precautions. We are free and able to do that for ourselves. But of course it would be a lot easier if they showed some leadership in these tricky times.

That worked so well in the past, leaving it to people to be sensible.

We wouldn't have an increase in reported cases, if people are being sensible.

As for the government putting things in place, they have handled this whole pandemic is a very bad way. Why do you expect them to change now.

"

I wish we didn't need the government to tell us what to do but *shrug*

(Maybe the government do too because... Well)

Herne Bay

Which says to me that these threads, just like Political ones attract only the interested people and it becomes easy to think that everyone has the very similar views to you as they are the only people speaking back to you and mostly agreeing. It's unfortunate to those who still aren't going out, but this Covid isnt going anywhere for years if not ever. So it appears that most people have looked in the mirror wobbled their heads and just got on with life again. It's harsh, but sitting at home worrying about what they are doing in New Zealand or how many people are vaccinated in Peru or searching google to find the latest doom and gloom figures is pointless. We can't stay off work for an indeterminate time, same for the lock downs, eventually everyone needs to do their own risk assessment and get on with it. "

Very we’ll put , in real life mask wearing has stopped for the vast majority of the population

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Just back from food shopping and only 2 people that I saw weren't wearing masks and we both continue to wear them...just seems like common sense.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

I would have no problem in mask wearing in public spaces being mandatory again. Even a small reduction in rate of transmission can make a significant reduction in infections.

I'd be okay if there were studies and data to show effectiveness... This is why we should have had a big bang freedom day ... We could ahve measured the effects of we had done it is stages ...

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

For, as it should help keep the cold and flu infection rates dow. As nobody has the right to spread cold or flu.

By *ustamanMan  over a year ago

weymouth

For, absolutely

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple  over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

Undecided here.

John still wears one everyday.

I started but eventually stopped as time went on, if they reintroduce masks I will just stay home more so it’s a win win for them.

Lily

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Just back from food shopping and only 2 people that I saw weren't wearing masks and we both continue to wear them...just seems like common sense."

Totally different story here, you're in the minority if you wear one

glasgow

I hope to see all these fkn idiots attending cop26 adhering to these rules

Just like when the health Secretary told us to stay away from ppl then shagged his secretary... Dbl standards!!!

1 rule for us another for them!!!

No mask.. No vaccine.. No caring

By *iskmanMan  over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 23/10/21 16:16:53]

By *itzimadCouple  over a year ago

harwich

wales have the masks inside rule but are the worst in uk for cases evidence today seems to say masks dont work

By *tooveMan  over a year ago

belfast

Against

To be your honest id rather people wash their hands and practice good hygiene. If people are wearing masks correctly and not just taking them out of their pockets that they haven't washed for about week then I think they have their place but seeing as most don't wear or store them properly I think they are pretty pointless.

"For, as it should help keep the cold and flu infection rates dow. As nobody has the right to spread cold or flu."

What do you mean nobody has the right to spread it?

Wearing a mask does not make you none infectious.

Durham

"For, as it should help keep the cold and flu infection rates dow. As nobody has the right to spread cold or flu.

"

Correct but you are quite a bit less likely to spread and slightly less likely to catch covid or any other airborne disease.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"To be your honest id rather people wash their hands and practice good hygiene. If people are wearing masks correctly and not just taking them out of their pockets that they haven't washed for about week then I think they have their place but seeing as most don't wear or store them properly I think they are pretty pointless. "

Washing hands won't stop an airborne virus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/14/qa-does-handwashing-stem-the-transmission-of-covid-19

Forum Mod

O o O oo

For curiosity, does anyone actually put their mask in their pocket?

"For curiosity, does anyone actually put their mask in their pocket? "

They certainly do on the tube I see them pulled out of pockets all the time. All out of handbags. I don't see them taken out of closed containers very often.

"To be your honest id rather people wash their hands and practice good hygiene. If people are wearing masks correctly and not just taking them out of their pockets that they haven't washed for about week then I think they have their place but seeing as most don't wear or store them properly I think they are pretty pointless.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/14/qa-does-handwashing-stem-the-transmission-of-covid-19"

It will certainly help with spread of many virus's

"For, as it should help keep the cold and flu infection rates dow. As nobody has the right to spread cold or flu.

Correct but you are quite a bit less likely to spread and slightly less likely to catch covid or any other airborne disease. "

Well then why was infection rates at its highest just before the last lockdown when mask wearing was mandatory?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"To be your honest id rather people wash their hands and practice good hygiene. If people are wearing masks correctly and not just taking them out of their pockets that they haven't washed for about week then I think they have their place but seeing as most don't wear or store them properly I think they are pretty pointless.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/14/qa-does-handwashing-stem-the-transmission-of-covid-19

"

But you were talking about this one, the thread is about Covid after all

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"For curiosity, does anyone actually put their mask in their pocket?

They certainly do on the tube I see them pulled out of pockets all the time. All out of handbags. I don't see them taken out of closed containers very often. "

With respect as you don't wear one I was asking the people who do

What the issue is I have no idea, if people want to use their pockets surely they have decide the risk is worth it

But you were talking about this one, the thread is about Covid after all"

And I was giving my opinion. Like I said I think masks have a place when worn correctly but on the whole I would rather people generally practiced better hygiene.

Manchester (she/her)

Me? No. I have a zip lock labelled D (and another one labelled C) in a little pencil case type thing with some hand sanitiser.

They certainly do on the tube I see them pulled out of pockets all the time. All out of handbags. I don't see them taken out of closed containers very often.

What the issue is I have no idea, if people want to use their pockets surely they have decide the risk is worth it"

This is now the 3ed time you have told me I don't wear a face covering. I will repeat the answer I gave the last 2 times.

I have never said I don't wear face coverings, I have said I struggle to wear one and don't always. And also you didn't ask only people who always wear one so my answer is valid.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

And I was giving my opinion. Like I said I think masks have a place when worn correctly but on the whole I would rather people generally practiced better hygiene. "

Again, with respect, that wasn't what I was picking up on, it was the handwashing

If people think handwashing alone will stop this virus we will be in a bigger mess than we thought

Yes, it is your opinion, no nobody said you can't have one. It doesn't mean it is right though

And I was giving my opinion. Like I said I think masks have a place when worn correctly but on the whole I would rather people generally practiced better hygiene.

Again, with respect, that wasn't what I was picking up on, it was the handwashing

If people think handwashing alone will stop this virus we will be in a bigger mess than we thought

Yes, it is your opinion, no nobody said you can't have one. It doesn't mean it is right though"

I have never said hand washing alone will stop the virus, I just said it's part of it and is that not government advice currently?

I have never once said my opinion was right and I'm not sure why my comments are being picked apart.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

What the issue is I have no idea, if people want to use their pockets surely they have decide the risk is worth it

This is now the 3ed time you have told me I don't wear a face covering. I will repeat the answer I gave the last 2 times.

I have never said I don't wear face coverings, I have said I struggle to wear one and don't always. And also you didn't ask only people who always wear one so my answer is valid. "

I have never seen you say that, only that you were exempt. So , do you put your mask that you wear in a closed container when you take it off?

I have never said I don't wear face coverings, I have said I struggle to wear one and don't always. And also you didn't ask only people who always wear one so my answer is valid.

I have never seen you say that, only that you were exempt. So , do you put your mask that you wear in a closed container when you take it off?"

You have said it because both times you apologised I'm not gonna continue this conversation because I'm not sure what your trying to get at.

I have never seen you say that, only that you were exempt. So , do you put your mask that you wear in a closed container when you take it off?

You have said it because both times you apologised I'm not gonna continue this conversation because I'm not sure what your trying to get at. "

I will just add you have also never seen me say I do not and have not ever worn a face covering I feel these comments of a coming personal now so let's leave it here.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Yes, it is your opinion, no nobody said you can't have one. It doesn't mean it is right though

I have never said hand washing alone will stop the virus, I just said it's part of it and is that not government advice currently?

I have never once said my opinion was right and I'm not sure why my comments are being picked apart."

Ok a bit of advice, if you don't want people to question or challenge what you say, maybe don't post

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Me? No. I have a zip lock labelled D (and another one labelled C) in a little pencil case type thing with some hand sanitiser."

So is this for your benefit more than anyone else's? No trick question, but did you see advice about where to keep a mask or decided yourself?

I have never once said my opinion was right and I'm not sure why my comments are being picked apart.

Ok a bit of advice, if you don't want people to question or challenge what you say, maybe don't post"

OK! I have no problem with people challenging things I have said. I am simply saying what the current government advices

Is which is masks have their place along with upped hygiene and hand washing.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Then please don't complain people are being personal or picking on your posts, it just sends the thread a different way.

Back to the OP

Manchester (she/her)

Me? No. I have a zip lock labelled D (and another one labelled C) in a little pencil case type thing with some hand sanitiser.

So is this for your benefit more than anyone else's? No trick question, but did you see advice about where to keep a mask or decided yourself? "

I mask primarily to benefit others.

I developed a process for masks by asking around (people scientifically trained) in the first couple of months of the pandemic.

I'm not sure if my actions are overkill - fomite transmission is now known to be fairly minimal - but it's not a big deal to me.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 23/10/21 17:27:58]

Manchester (she/her)

So is this for your benefit more than anyone else's? No trick question, but did you see advice about where to keep a mask or decided yourself?

I developed a process for masks by asking around (people scientifically trained) in the first couple of months of the pandemic.

I'm not sure if my actions are overkill - fomite transmission is now known to be fairly minimal - but it's not a big deal to me.

Yeah I know why you say you wear your mask, I meant does were we put the mask after as to who it benefits

It seems a good idea, to put it in a bag if it is reusable, I am struggling to figure out if I hade ever seen any advice on where to put it so why I asked ....but a couple of people have mentioned being in pockets etc saying there are germs there and I wondered would that affect the user or other people and is that why they thought it a bad idea.

If it affects the user then I suppose they take the chance, I can't see it affecting anyone else

"

I don't know, but I suspect it would primarily or exclusively be about me (or someone who did my laundry? But that's also me)

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I'm not sure if my actions are overkill - fomite transmission is now known to be fairly minimal - but it's not a big deal to me."

Yeah I know why you wear your mask, I do too.... I meant does were we put the mask after we use it affect anyone else.

It seems a good idea, to put it in a bag if it is reusable, I am struggling to figure out if I have ever seen any advice on where to put it so why I asked A couple of people have mentioned being in pockets etc saying there are germs there and I wondered would that affect the user or other people

If it affects the user then I suppose they take the chance, I can't see it affecting anyone else

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Now people think you are psychic

Yeah I agree, so our risk really

Manchester (she/her)

"Now people think you are psychic

Yeah I agree, so our risk really"

Haha

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Now the weather is changing and it’s getting colder, this week I unpacked my winter coat.

In the pocket I found a blue mask!

If mask wearing is enforced again I won’t need to buy a new one.

For. I still wear a mask in public and at work. I don't care if people stare.

I'm wearing it for me. In the hope that if someone coughs near me the mask might prevent too much cough fog getting in my nose and mouth.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"I'd be okay if there were studies and data to show effectiveness..."

There's this website, google.com

You can go on it and type in 'studies on mask effectiveness' or a similar phrase of your choosing.

And find what you're asking about.

Enjoy.

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I have no issue people using them if that makes them feel "safer".

The issue I have is mandates; especially ones based on flimsy or uncompelling evidence.

Manchester (she/her)

"I'd be okay if there were studies and data to show effectiveness...

You can go on it and type in 'studies on mask effectiveness' or a similar phrase of your choosing.

Enjoy. "

Enjoy. "

i actually go one better ... And use scholar.google ...

But while there are papers involving aresols, I'm intrigued if anyone has looked at more real life data outside of a lab.

And plenty have asked the anti maskers for proof... I just wonder how any have some their own literature review ... Or simply accosted it because it feels right ...

Manchester (she/her)

Enjoy. i actually go one better ... And use scholar.google ...

But while there are papers involving aresols, I'm intrigued if anyone has looked at more real life data outside of a lab.

And plenty have asked the anti maskers for proof... I just wonder how any have some their own literature review ... Or simply accosted it because it feels right ... "

Mmm. It's definitely important to understand how to search, how to interpret the literature, etc. An outlier paper doesn't mean much. (also important to recognise what you don't know and can't understand, therefore work out how to compensate for that)

By *ceofthebaseMan  over a year ago

Ruislip

The mask wearing social experiment has been in place since late July in the UK. Scotland and Wales are mandated to wear them and now need to provide passports. England has non of this. And guess who has the lowest cases per 100,000? Clue: it’s not Scotland or Wales

Manchester (she/her)

"The mask wearing social experiment has been in place since late July in the UK. Scotland and Wales are mandated to wear them and now need to provide passports. England has non of this. And guess who has the lowest cases per 100,000? Clue: it’s not Scotland or Wales"

Per ONS, it's Scotland, by quite some way.

Trouble with countries is there are a load of other confounding factors.

The BBC map I saw had London being quite low which suprised me.

I hoped they'd use the schools to trial different things ...

Manchester (she/her)

"Trouble with countries is there are a load of other confounding factors.

"

Yes.

And that seems odd.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

I like the mask, doesn`t bother me.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I'm still unconvinced that face coverings offer any protection in most real world scenarios, provided an individual takes sensible precautions (eg social distancing)

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Hopefully they not make them mandatory again x

By *weetandHungMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Been though I’m classes as vulnerable I don’t wear a mask anymore to me there pointless and don’t do a thing.

A flimsy mask won’t stop you from getting it I’m afraid

By *um2quickMan  over a year ago

Grays

I am all for the wearing of masks inside public places where social distances can't be maintained. I would make it compulsory on Public transport as it is on the airlines, also in shops and supermarkets. I returned from Spain, where it is compulsory inside and found it very uncomfortable in Supermarkets and shops where they were not being worn. A VERY small price to pay to help the NHS cope. It is endemic

"

Its the BbC what do you expect. They manipulated the figures to be higher than they actually are and lied to the public through their teeth. They created about 40 made up variants. They created the fuel shortage lie. BBC - Antibritish Biased Corporation.

Against masks in enclosed spaces.

Freedom of choice for the individual

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Against masks in enclosed spaces.

Freedom of choice for the individual "

Given free choice humans choose foolishly....

Nottingham

It is embarrassing, nineteen months into this, that there are still people who think masks are intended to protect *the wearer*.

And then they use this as an excuse for not wearing them.

It would make for more sense, and be far more effective, if the vulnerable and the elderly were provided proper filtered FFP3 masks to protect themselves.

Then each person's could make their own decision on mask wearing.

These forums are I'm no way reflective of society - most people simply do not want to wear masks anymore as can be seen out and about.

We have the technology, with proper masks, to protect the wearer instead of cheap crap to provide a little protection to others. This is the correct way so people are responsible for themselves.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Its the BbC what do you expect. They manipulated the figures to be higher than they actually are and lied to the public through their teeth. They created about 40 made up variants. They created the fuel shortage lie. BBC - Antibritish Biased Corporation. "

There are literally "thousands" of variants, every few times the virus replicates it mutates slightly. Most if these are irrelevant and the only ones given a name are the ones deemed "significant" because they have been detected in large groups of new infections.

Cal

North West

"It is embarrassing, nineteen months into this, that there are still people who think masks are intended to protect *the wearer*.

And then they use this as an excuse for not wearing them. "

^^^This. This is why public health measures have to be imposed on us, rather than "recommended", because most people seem unable to "recommend" the most appropriate thing/action.

"It is embarrassing, nineteen months into this, that there are still people who think masks are intended to protect *the wearer*.

^^^This. This is why public health measures have to be imposed on us, rather than "recommended", because most people seem unable to "recommend" the most appropriate thing/action. "

No, people should take responsibility for THEMSELVES now.

Buy proper filtered masks that do protect the wearer / or stay at home and stop bleating about those that want to live their lives normally.

North West

^^^This. This is why public health measures have to be imposed on us, rather than "recommended", because most people seem unable to "recommend" the most appropriate thing/action.

No, people should take responsibility for THEMSELVES now.

Buy proper filtered masks that do protect the wearer / or stay at home and stop bleating about those that want to live their lives normally."

Too many people are clearly incapable of taking responsibility for themselves though. This is why it's like groundhog Day and we're still talking about cases above 40-odd thousand every day. Other European countries (with mask mandates) seem to be doing better but with similar circumstances.

When people excuse not wearing masks because THEY don't think THEY need one, it's clear they have no understanding of how mask wearing helps. It's not to protect THEM, it's to protect people around them and if the majority of people wear them, we reduce circulating virus in the air in enclosed spaces.

Unfortunately the "common sense" approach does not work. That's been shown over and over since March 2020.

Nottingham

"It would make for more sense, and be far more effective, if the vulnerable and the elderly were provided proper filtered FFP3 masks to protect themselves.

Then each person's could make their own decision on mask wearing.

These forums are I'm no way reflective of society - most people simply do not want to wear masks anymore as can be seen out and about.

We have the technology, with proper masks, to protect the wearer instead of cheap crap to provide a little protection to others. This is the correct way so people are responsible for themselves."

Thereby singling out the vulnerable even further, and making them easier to target for even more exclusion and discrimination, right? Great.

Or, you know, everyone could just do a near-zero-effort thing and share the "burden", like civilized people.

Mask wearing will return as per my OP. Sadly it will come late and those in nuber 10 will blame everyone but themselves and cite they were "following the ..." BS.

Like anything a law/rule only works if it is enforced. There will be many more fools around this time when its law that feel they are say as the majoirty are waring masking so keeping them safer and they dont need to wear one and smirk at you as they walk past.

I know of several people that have severe asthma and yet they wore masks with diffuclty and only wnet out on their good days outside rush hours and kept it to a minum or wear a shield. There are a few that can't wear a shield but other than that 99% can wear a mask or a shiled.

Wearing a mask you are keepin others safe an in return they keep you safer

As I said in my OP

the pp3 or ffpp3 whater is called not only protects those arond you but you as well to an extent if worn propery - used in hospitals

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

It’s not the acute infection that most of us need to worry about it’s the long term effects of having been infected- this is not really discussed at all.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-021-00926-1

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Which says to me that these threads, just like Political ones attract only the interested people and it becomes easy to think that everyone has the very similar views to you as they are the only people speaking back to you and mostly agreeing. It's unfortunate to those who still aren't going out, but this Covid isnt going anywhere for years if not ever. So it appears that most people have looked in the mirror wobbled their heads and just got on with life again. It's harsh, but sitting at home worrying about what they are doing in New Zealand or how many people are vaccinated in Peru or searching google to find the latest doom and gloom figures is pointless. We can't stay off work for an indeterminate time, same for the lock downs, eventually everyone needs to do their own risk assessment and get on with it.

It’s not the acute infection that most of us need to worry about it’s the long term effects of having been infected- this is not really discussed at all.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-021-00926-1"

And we don't yet know how much people may be affected, after they have had multiple infections, which could deliver sustained, worse damage than the severe issues from just 1 attack.

Mask wearing is a very tiny effort for most of us and could be a life saver for many of us. It's certainly better to have more than 1 active control measure in place at any time.

By *rauntonbananaMan  over a year ago

Braunton

We were told that if we complied with government advice and had the jabs we’d get back to some kind of normality… we’ve been lied to

Manchester (she/her)

^^^This. This is why public health measures have to be imposed on us, rather than "recommended", because most people seem unable to "recommend" the most appropriate thing/action. "

By *traight_no_iceMan  over a year ago

Stoke

Definitely for.

I had to travel abroad last week. Although I was wearing a mask most of the time, I picked a cold from a friend of mine (we are both covid vaccinated). On the day of my departure she had a slight cold (she picked it from her kids).

I spent a few hours at her place (with open windows, wearing my mask most of the time) and she put a mask too at some point when she started coughing). We also kept some distance but it was not always 2 meters. She also drove me to the airport. Windows open and both wearing masks.

I am actually annoyed by how easily I got a bad cold but I am thankful it was just that. And the post travel day 2 PCR came negative.

However, the 5 hour coughing fit I had on Thursday evening left me exhausted.

I keep thinking how easy it is for the delta variant covid to spread. Even among vaccinated, even among asymptomatic it can spread in seconds.

And I kept thinking how unlucky are the people who end up chocking and with shortness of breath.

At this point in time I would rather wear a mask in enclosed spaces even if I am double vaccinated and I have no covid symptoms. Because I do not want due to my negligence to be the cause of someone end up chocking and with shortness of breath.

This is the least I can do towards others.

Herne Bay

"We were told that if we complied with government advice and had the jabs we’d get back to some kind of normality… we’ve been lied to "
That’s so true we would not have bothered to have the Jabs , still stupid us fancy believing anything a Government tell the Plebs

Nottingham

"We were told that if we complied with government advice and had the jabs we’d get back to some kind of normality… we’ve been lied to "

The shitness of the government advice is a major factor here. What measures were even taken have been too little and too late since the very start.

"Against masks in enclosed spaces.

Freedom of choice for the individual

Given free choice humans choose foolishly...."

cheers

Luton

We are almost back to normality

This is a new virus, constantly mutating as we learn more about it and how to treat people who get sick.

Every country in the world has altered it's advice and rules as we've learned more about it. That is the nature of new viruses, and was always inevitable.

Manchester (she/her)

"We were told that if we complied with government advice and had the jabs we’d get back to some kind of normality… we’ve been lied to

The shitness of the government advice is a major factor here. What measures were even taken have been too little and too late since the very start. "

Viruses get through high vaccination rates in pockets of lower vaccination rates. I think it was in 2016 in California where they saw a big measles outbreak?

The lack of mitigation in schools, where vaccination is extremely low (because children) is nothing short of criminal. And our vaccination rates fall well short of any estimate of what herd immunity might be - I think in Manchester it's low 60s in over 12s, and we need it to be way higher (70s, 80s, I think) as a percentage of the *entire population*.

Hopefully the (almost certainly) upcoming EUA of Pfizer in the US - for 5-11 year olds - will trickle through to us eventually.

"We were told that if we complied with government advice and had the jabs we’d get back to some kind of normality… we’ve been lied to

That’s so true we would not have bothered to have the Jabs , still stupid us fancy believing anything a Government tell the Plebs "

Why did you get the jabs?

"We were told that if we complied with government advice and had the jabs we’d get back to some kind of normality… we’ve been lied to That’s so true we would not have bothered to have the Jabs , still stupid us fancy believing anything a Government tell the Plebs "
I'm not sure such a strong promise was ever made ... However if the option is Jab plus masks versus full lockdown ... I know which I would take ... Regardless of what was "promised"

Manchester (she/her)

"We were told that if we complied with government advice and had the jabs we’d get back to some kind of normality… we’ve been lied to That’s so true we would not have bothered to have the Jabs , still stupid us fancy believing anything a Government tell the Plebs I'm not sure such a strong promise was ever made ... However if the option is Jab plus masks versus full lockdown ... I know which I would take ... Regardless of what was "promised""

Yes. Masks and a bit more caution rather than lockdown and further economic destruction.

A rare event for me as I'm going to defend the incompetent wankers. Thry never said that.

Even with the flu, you need yearl top ups. With this virus, it may mean 6 montly jabs

Wearing a mask and you do not have to be a rocket scienetist, you protect others and yourself to an extent depends on type of mask you are wearing. By wearing one, on the whole you are looking out for others around you more than yourself and this is why we do it.

Manchester (she/her)

A rare event for me as I'm going to defend the incompetent wankers. Thry never said that.

Even with the flu, you need yearl top ups. With this virus, it may mean 6 montly jabs

Wearing a mask and you do not have to be a rocket scienetist, you protect others and yourself to an extent depends on type of mask you are wearing. By wearing one, on the whole you are looking out for others around you more than yourself and this is why we do it."

I don't doubt they implied something like it. Reality is never that straightforward though, and this virus gives zero fucks about anyone's promises, preferences, or ideology.

Lordy, some people are truly ridiculous.

I don’t know if you’re just blind to how a pandemic works or so angry with the last few years that you just need to blame everyone and everything.