FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > British and Irish Lions Thread Part 2

British and Irish Lions Thread Part 2

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *heBirminghamWeekend OP   Man  over a year ago

here

Last post - Fabio: “ Lions conditioning is way better than the boks… wasn’t pretty but they basically ran them off the pitch!”

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Harris has to start next week imo

Courtney Lawes was fucking mental

By *ervous69Man  over a year ago

Galashiels

Agree Harris is a clever player, organising defence really well. Not a great fan of his but I though AWJ was impressive coming back from injury like that. Ali Price had a good game as well. We need Finn in the team or Marcus Smith, as good a player Biggar is he can’t play the game required to really put the Boks under pressure. Can’t wait for next week!

He won't not start Biggar unless he's injured

By *irtyd468Man  over a year ago

North

"Agree Harris is a clever player, organising defence really well. Not a great fan of his but I though AWJ was impressive coming back from injury like that. Ali Price had a good game as well. We need Finn in the team or Marcus Smith, as good a player Biggar is he can’t play the game required to really put the Boks under pressure. Can’t wait for next week! "

Heresy I hear people shouting. AWJ is a God in Wales mun

By *en5ual KissesMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

Liam Williams should start at 15 next week, much safer than Hogg under the high ball, ditto Josh Adams instead of VDM.

Agreed, AWJ is immense, exciting game

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

With the physicality that is going to be coming in the backlash next weekend I think he goes aki at 12, henshaw at 13, and Williams comes in on the wing for VDM,

I think the forwards will stay the same

By *affygt61Man  over a year ago

rhondda

"Agree Harris is a clever player, organising defence really well. Not a great fan of his but I though AWJ was impressive coming back from injury like that. Ali Price had a good game as well. We need Finn in the team or Marcus Smith, as good a player Biggar is he can’t play the game required to really put the Boks under pressure. Can’t wait for next week! "

If the forwards are not dominating, you can't expect the outside half to put the opposition under pressure. It was a game of 2 halves.

Don’t think I’ll start with the same front row think the front row came on will start What about Josh Adam

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"Don’t think I’ll start with the same front row think the front row came on will start What about Josh Adam"

Great player. May struggle in the scrums .

I haven’t seen much of the game. Great to get the win though. Watson looked lucky to me. I’d like to see Josh Adams in.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Don’t think I’ll start with the same front row think the front row came on will start What about Josh Adam

I haven’t seen much of the game. Great to get the win though. Watson looked lucky to me. I’d like to see Josh Adams in. "

Watson always makes metres when he gets the ball.

Galashiels

"Agree Harris is a clever player, organising defence really well. Not a great fan of his but I though AWJ was impressive coming back from injury like that. Ali Price had a good game as well. We need Finn in the team or Marcus Smith, as good a player Biggar is he can’t play the game required to really put the Boks under pressure. Can’t wait for next week!

If the forwards are not dominating, you can't expect the outside half to put the opposition under pressure. It was a game of 2 halves."

That’s why you need players like Finn and Marcus to have a wee chip over the top, a wee grubbed through. If a rush defence has a fly half doing that they wouldn’t be able to commit themselves as much.

"Don’t think I’ll start with the same front row think the front row came on will start What about Josh Adam

I haven’t seen much of the game. Great to get the win though. Watson looked lucky to me. I’d like to see Josh Adams in. Watson always makes metres when he gets the ball."

He definitely looked the most dangerous of the back in attack

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I haven’t seen much of the game. Great to get the win though. Watson looked lucky to me. I’d like to see Josh Adams in. Watson always makes metres when he gets the ball."

I meant the tackle. Could easily have been a card. I like him as a player.

Sorry, I assumed in my reply it was Anthony Watson being referred to, not Hamish

By *anter and baguetteCouple  over a year ago

BRIDGEND

Still no Josh and Sanjay left out this time too. Gone with Daly on the bench(he must have photos of Gats in the nude). Nice to see Toby on the bench tho.

Laws was motm for me

Nice to see Chris Harris get the nod. Hogg and DVDM worry me under the high ball

BRIDGEND

And no Sanjay to dig them out xx

here

Hamish and Liam Williams not in the 23.

Gatland thinking ahead to Test 3?

By *ookiemonster84Man  over a year ago

Swansea

anyone out Saturday to watch the game?

Let's see if Rassie's outburst has any bearing on today then

Would make for a shiter of a game but would understand if the referees decided “You know what fuck it, I’m going to whistle every single incident at a tackle/ruck/maul, if he wants to be that pedantic”

You would not get past a single phase of play.

Will he post another review this week regardless of the result?

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Let's see if Rassie's outburst has any bearing on today then "

I certainly don’t think he should be allowed to be the water carrier…. If you want to be pedantic you can penalise the boks every time they clear out and the way they stop the line out maul

Galashiels

[Removed by poster at 31/07/21 17:02:51]

Galashiels

Fingers crossed for a win!

Newcastle and Gateshead

One out big boy rugby tonight…. 65 minutes to play 40 is going to suit the boks…

Also.. the no arm tackle is becoming my bugbear…

Ans Kobe should be off for 2 yellows

Galashiels

Time for Price and Farrell to come on!

here

Sorry, but the Biggar high ball isn’t working.

Such a disappointing 2nd half

Sanjay and Adams have to come in next week for Hogg and Duhan

Disastrous under the high ball and in defence

Galashiels

He can’t start next week. If he does the series is lost. Need Price for sharper service and Finn or even Marcus to get speed into the ball.

By *evan247Man  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Got to start Williams next week

Galashiels

I agree Williams needs to start. I’d put Zammit on the wing with Duhan ahead of Adam’s. If the pack can get the front foot a speedy service from Price to Finn/Marcus then the wingers will have a chance to get the ball.

Newcastle and Gateshead

The absolutely targeted VDM … I think Williams comes in on the wing… also.. the centre partnerships are not working and it’s not the fault of henshaw… the blitz defence is throwing off the lions timings…

So the question is do you play Farrell at 12 and henshaw at 13… that way you give the boks another kicker to have to think about…

I still think the key to beating this boks side is to basically run them off the park and make them run out of stream…

Galashiels

"The absolutely targeted VDM … I think Williams comes in on the wing… also.. the centre partnerships are not working and it’s not the fault of henshaw… the blitz defence is throwing off the lions timings…

So the question is do you play Farrell at 12 and henshaw at 13… that way you give the boks another kicker to have to think about…

I still think the key to beating this boks side is to basically run them off the park and make them run out of stream… "

The only way to beat them is to run them off the pitch, get the big guys having to turn with an array of chips etc. Farrell and Harris at centres for me. Vdm and Zammit wings , Williams fill back to secure ball. Must contain the forwards, they won’t be out muscled. Watson in for Curry as well

Tbh, I'd go Sanjay, Adams, Zammit in the backline for next week.

Watson wasn't too clever today either, not just the 2 Scots

Controversial but Navidi would add grit in back row. Curry over rated

Big questions over our so called man gatts.. Wrong choices over back line

"Big questions over our so called man gatts.. Wrong choices over back line "

I agree duan not up to it, Chris Harris not up to it, Connor Murray not up to it, hogg way off the pace

BRIDGEND

What an absolute shower of shit. Pull your finger out guys. Your playing the world champions in their back garden. If you play like school children, im afraid your gonna get your arse kicked.

Roll the changes Gats, some of them guys dont deserve the shirt on yesterday's display.

Rany over. Cmon the Lions!!!

BRIDGEND

Rant not Rany

Think Biggar needs to be dropped!

"Think Biggar needs to be dropped!"

I don't think he will drop him

Farrell maybe to start at 12 with Smith on the bench is a shout though

New the games would be tight and scrappy but the lions ain’t created much at all going forward

Snickler being cited for allegedly biting

I have to say the quality is shocking. Its not a great advert for rugby

"Snickler being cited for allegedly biting "

I have heard, is there any footage??

I only saw some still of Hogg apparently biting Le Rouxs arm despite his mouth not actually touching it

Not sure, must be some footage I’m assuming he’s a loose cannon ain’t he.

here

If Russell is fit - he’s your number 10. Put some spark in - create the opportunities.

Price starts at 9.

I'm with you on that. Russell is hit and miss but he's got to roll the dice. we ain't strong arming those springboks.

My worry is that he has no rugby for ages but saying that hats has kept him out there for a reason

That should say Gats has kept him out there for a reason

Rassie and SA Rugby to face a misconduct hearing for breaching World Rugby Regulation 18

By *ercman50Man  over a year ago

blackwood

"The absolutely targeted VDM … I think Williams comes in on the wing… also.. the centre partnerships are not working and it’s not the fault of henshaw… the blitz defence is throwing off the lions timings…

I still think the key to beating this boks side is to basically run them off the park and make them run out of stream…

The only way to beat them is to run them off the pitch, get the big guys having to turn with an array of chips etc. Farrell and Harris at centres for me. Vdm and Zammit wings , Williams fill back to secure ball. Must contain the forwards, they won’t be out muscled. Watson in for Curry as well"

your right you gotto play the game at pace keep them turning and running around

By *strokeC100Couple  over a year ago

chester

There’s very little point in swapping Bigger for Russell if the game plan stays the same. Bigger didn’t kick everything , even when in attacking positions despite instructions but because of them. And he actually kicked those well - with good height and placement- he can hardly be blamed if others can’t compete! And he himself, along with Williams is our best catcher of a ball. With Russell you get maybe a 50/50 chance of something brilliant or a complete fuck up. I’d have him on the bench for if it gets desperate.

Williams and Adams will surely come in for Hogg and VDM. Hogg is a fine player but horribly out of form . VDM has been shown up and targeted. Maybe Farrell at twelve, to improve the passing and provide another kicker if Bigger is subbed, shifting Henshaw to 13.

I’d stick with Murray , but without much confidence. Selection at SH and Centre was poor in my view- better players left behind.

I’d bring in George at hooker to start. LCD to the bench. And I think Beirne for Lawes, whose had one excellent half in each match and one anonymous one! Wyn Jones will come in if fit. Not sure I’d change any more. Possibly Faletau , though I think Conans been ok. That’s quite a lot of changes And more than Gatland would probably want. But that’s the price for getting a few things badly wrong to start with.

Galashiels

I genuinely think if they keep Murray and Biggar partnership the series is lost. Biggar is a great player and nothing against him but he plays a style of game not suited to a rush defence. We need someone who will turn them. Once they have to turn a few times with little chips, grubbers etc rush defences normally slow or start to splinter allowing the Russell “wonder” pass and the Ali Price break etc. Adam’s on the wing, SA will nullify him as much as they did VDM. ?? for a Williams, Zammit and VDM back 3! I’d love to see Ali and Finn and Marcus to cover. I’d rather watch us try and play some exciting open running rugby and get beat than a boring up and under kicking game and get beat!

chester

Bigger is just as adept at a variety of kicks as Russell. The difference mainly is that he lies that bit deeper - Russell will take the ball flatter and potentially open up the defence with a flat and fast pass to put a centre or winger into space. Or see it intercepted for a gift try to the opposition. He’s exciting no doubt. Have the Lions practiced a plan B game I wonder? We’ve not seen anything of it and I can’t see Gatland throwing caution to the winds.

Adams is in a different class to VDM as a winger. Most importantly he can catch the ball! In defence and attack. VDM reminded me of Cuthbert doing his bewildered giraffe impression every time they targeted him with a high ball. Like him he can run powerfully in a straight line and Gatland likes that sort. But Adams is the better finisher and just a far more skilful rugby player.

Too early for LRZ I think. I’d stick with Watson’s knowhow. When the squad was chosen they expected to be playing two tests on the high veld and I did have visions of JJ Williams all those years ago scorching the Saffas with pure pace But it’s Capetown.

Some big changes as expected

15:Sanjay

14:Adams

13:Henshaw

12:Aki

11:DVDM

10:Biggar

9:Price

1:W.Jones

2:Ken

3:Furlong

4:Itoje

5:AWJ (C)

6:Lawes

7:Curry

8:Conan

16:LCD

17:Mako

18:Sinckler

19:Beard

20:Simmonds

21:Murray

22:Russell

23:Daley

Duw duw

here

Sticking with Curry...

Massive shout for Simmonds on the bench

I feel a bit for Hamish but I think getting that yellow (that he was lucky not to be red) a few weeks back scuppered his chances altogether by the looks

By *orns11Man  over a year ago

wythall

Gutted for Hamish Watson, no quick ball again

here

"Massive shout for Simmonds on the bench

I feel a bit for Hamish but I think getting that yellow (that he was lucky not to be red) a few weeks back scuppered his chances altogether by the looks"

Was considering that earlier... I think you may be right.

chester

It’s a better team than last week in my opinion , but still some puzzling choices. Of course we don’t see them in training, but still.

I love Ken , but he’s on the downslope . I’m very surprised not to see George in at hooker.I like LCD as an impact player. A big risk in the back row. If Curry goes down we’re left with just locks and 2 number 8s .

With Bigger and Aki we’re not planning anything flashy in the backs! Farrell hasn’t been particularly impressive but I’d have preferred him at 12. But Gatland has always liked one big bruiser in the centre and another on the wing. If only Tuilagi was there it would make more sense to me. Aki isn’t Tuilagi or Jamie Roberts . VDM for Watson is to me the same reasoning -; he’d rather a second class power player since there isn’t a first class one available ,rather than trust to rugby skills.

But altogether I think it’s an improvement. And Faff and SDT are big losses for them.

Chuffed to see Beard on the bench. He’s been excellent recently and is the best maul stopper we have.

Galashiels

looks like the series is lost! Can’t see a win coming with that team. Can’t beat the Boks by up and unders and boring rugby. Can see the lions trying to win via Biggars boot. Unless Finn comes on early.

chester

We’ll see. The way I suspect Gats sees it is that we have won 3/4 halves with kick and clap , and lost the fourth because we dropped six high balls in defence.

He might be right too. It’s not easy putting together an international side in a few weeks , and the game plans inevitably have to be relatively unsophisticated. His record is pretty impressive at doing just this. If pushed I’d make the Boks favourite, but I’d not be surprised , and very happy, if I’m wrong! And as always the referee could be critical - and we have a French one this time.

There’s perhaps something of a plan B on the bench this time. Russell , Daly , Simmonds ,Beard and Sinckler could maybe change things. But I’m doubtful- it will probably be done and dusted before they are on. And Russell is a coin toss whether it’s a sublime pass making a try one way or a reckless one , (or a kick straight into Kolbe’s hands) , giving one away the other.

" looks like the series is lost! Can’t see a win coming with that team. Can’t beat the Boks by up and unders and boring rugby. Can see the lions trying to win via Biggars boot. Unless Finn comes on early."

This hard done by Scots attitude is getting boring

Hasn’t been a great advert for rugby so far.

Galashiels

Not at all, if you look at my above posts I say I’d have Williams in over Hogg for fullback so hardly “hard done by Scots attitude” It’s a fact apart from a kicking robot Biggar hasn’t set the games alight has he? It’s not worked so it’s time for a change. Or is it the Welsh blinkers you have on where you cant see past your own “home” team?

"

Not at all, if you look at my above posts I say I’d have Williams in over Hogg for fullback so hardly “hard done by Scots attitude” It’s a fact apart from a kicking robot Biggar hasn’t set the games alight has he? It’s not worked so it’s time for a change. Or is it the Welsh blinkers you have on where you cant see past your own “home” team? "

If there were 23 Scots I would be just as much behind them

Lions are Lions for me

I understand all the Scots want Fin to start etc because he's Scottish, but him being on the bench is part of the game plan for if we find ourselves well behind

Constant negativity from (some) Scottish supporters has become boring, not just here but across most social media

here

Everyone getting excited for the match on Saturday?

Really hope there is lots of rugby played

Yes looking forward

The tour has kind of been overshadowed by the Saffas off field bullshit, taken the shine off it a bit like

But I think we can win it

For the sake of rugby we need to win it playing with a bit of width. Enough of the arm wrestling and ping pong kicking ffs.

Galashiels

Looking forward and hoping to see a good game of rugby. Rassies games has spoilt it for me and have lost a wee bit respect for the man due to that, let the game flow and let the TMO find/report any issues as they see them. To many stops to check

Decider day is here

Lions by 4

Galashiels

Newcastle and Gateshead

Turn the boks round….run them off the park!

I like that it’s a french ref today…but it makes the forward play more key

Newcastle and Gateshead

Finn Russell time…. Well we are going to see how it goes..

here

Lions don’t look comfortable

Galashiels

Now open rugby is going to happen!

Newcastle and Gateshead

Everything is so much quicker going through Russell… it’s giving the blitz defence fits… shame the lions haven’t made the boks pay…

Galashiels

"Everything is so much quicker going through Russell… it’s giving the blitz defence fits… shame the lions haven’t made the boks pay…"

It certainly is. Should’ve been and other 14 points up, Curry silly mistake and Williams messing up a 2v1. Williams had a cracking few catches though.

Guttted to lose the series

Galashiels

They played a much more expansive open game and got to applaud them for that, couple silly penalties and some wrong decisions and it would’ve been slot different. Good game

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

Gatlands game is never going to be exiting but it was a bit late for making changes and not brave enough, to have the pick of the best players and go out there and play a defensive game a bit baffling.

Galashiels

It was odd, especially prior to the test saying the only way to beat them is by fast attacking rugby. Thankfully Townsend will be the next head coach so it will be an attacking game vs the wallabies

By *iglad500 XXXMan  over a year ago

mountain ash

Can't believe it myself

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

If the Lions wanted to play a defensive game they should have taken Johnny sexton who could control a game

"If the Lions wanted to play a defensive game they should have taken Johnny sexton who could control a game"

I assume you're taking the piss??

Galashiels

" "

You never know these days like

By *ingKyMan  over a year ago

Cross Hands

Well done Lions!

Some close results, worthy opponents.

Galashiels

Well everyone, enjoyed our lions time together, catch you at the 6 nations!

here

Autumn internationals up next

If today had been a draw (a possibility at one point ) then i think the first match the boks will play is Wales … ooooooh the series decider .

Anyway as it turns out …

Trouble with today was too many issues to fix late in the day. SA controlled the narrative from ko . Lions didn’t have the right players (particularly in the forwards ) to change that narrative.

» Add a new message to this topic