FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > Crippling social anxiety

Crippling social anxiety

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ongue-master OP   Man  over a year ago

Morriston

I'm trying to gather some advice/guidance from any source available to me and thought a forum was the way to go.

I have been battling a crippling social anxiety issue for the last few years I have tried antidepressants(sertraline, citalopram) calm tablets, lavender, I have lorazopam as a rescue medicine when I get really bad.

So to cut a long story short anybody have any hints/tips or products I can buy to stop this frustrating and exhausting issue

Thank you

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I suffer more generalised anxiety rather than social

The only thing that has ever helped and keeps me able to function is regular, structured exercise

Antidepressants are fucking useless for anxiety

I don't do medication, never helped just turned me into a zombie

Hope you feel better soon

Morriston

"I suffer more generalised anxiety rather than social

The only thing that has ever helped and keeps me able to function is regular, structured exercise

Hope you feel better soon "

Thank you for your support.

I agree AD'S are horrible they seem to take away all human feeling but I use them for the depression side effect of my anxiety (fml )

What sort of exercise you find works best for you?

"I suffer more generalised anxiety rather than social

Hope you feel better soon

Thank you for your support.

I agree AD'S are horrible they seem to take away all human feeling but I use them for the depression side effect of my anxiety (fml )

What sort of exercise you find works best for you? "

I go to the gym 5/6 days a week

Mainly circuit type training, weight training and occasional cardio works for me

I wasn't criticising you for taking meds btw

Each to their own

You have to do what works for you

By *eafetyWoman  over a year ago

penarth

Have you tried talking therepy/ counselling. Some are opening up face to face now or can do online.

Hope whatever you do works for you

By *iss MaverickWoman  over a year ago

Porthcawl

I also suffer with social anxiety, and have done for years and years. The only thing I have tried which has alleviated some of that feeling, other than the usual meds, are beta blockers. I find I don't get that surge of heart pounding, sweating and hyper awareness if I take one about an hour prior to an event. X

Cold/wet weather walks help me. No music, no company, no distractions. Just myself, the outdoors and the sounds, about a thirty minute walk is all it takes for me

By *reeneyes72Man  over a year ago

aberdare

"I'm trying to gather some advice/guidance from any source available to me and thought a forum was the way to go.

I have been battling a crippling social anxiety issue for the last few years I have tried antidepressants(sertraline, citalopram) calm tablets, lavender, I have lorazopam as a rescue medicine when I get really bad.

So to cut a long story short anybody have any hints/tips or products I can buy to stop this frustrating and exhausting issue

Thank you "

There are a number of organisations that could help, MIND is one such organisation.

I suffer bad with SAD (Severe Anxiety Disorder), and am currently prescribed Pregabalin in 300mg doses, daily... It works a treat for me, and am able to deal face to face with the public as part of my job... Lorazepam is good, but you'll only ever get prescribed that on short amounts as it's highly addictive.... Pregabalin is the way forward I'd say, your GP may prescribe you on smaller doses, but it does work....

Morriston

I would like to thank you all for your support and advice.

I have sourced online councilling sessions and have now been referred to CBT so hoping this will help.

I've decided to take time away from work and to try to put myself first for a change rather than trying to please others if that makes sense.

I will be using all your replies and kind messages to look back on when I'm feeling alone to remind myself that there are other people out there that are fighting the same battle as myself

Thank you all

Much loves

Hope to meet some of you soon when I'm better

Xx

"I would like to thank you all for your support and advice.

I have sourced online councilling sessions and have now been referred to CBT so hoping this will help.

I've decided to take time away from work and to try to put myself first for a change rather than trying to please others if that makes sense.

I will be using all your replies and kind messages to look back on when I'm feeling alone to remind myself that there are other people out there that are fighting the same battle as myself

Thank you all

Much loves

Xx "

I just want to say a huge Well Done! You sought help when you needed it and is a great example for others to follow.

It's also fantastic to see that you are taking time away, to focus on your mental health. It's really overlooked yet so deterimental to our well being. Good Luck and I hope your anxiety eases for you. x

All the best OP

By *ax-BangingMan  over a year ago

town

"I would like to thank you all for your support and advice.

Thank you all

Much loves

Xx

I just want to say a huge Well Done! You sought help when you needed it and is a great example for others to follow.

It's also fantastic to see that you are taking time away, to focus on your mental health. It's really overlooked yet so deterimental to our well being. Good Luck and I hope your anxiety eases for you. x"

Currently going though similar issues myself.

Get well soon OP

I just wanted to say well done! I don't know you but you should be proud of the steps you've taken, the journey will get easier! You've done the hardest part! I always used to think talking to somebody helped but I understand that sometimes it's not easy to talk! So use this post to chat if you ever feel like getting something off your chest! If you've got an understanding friend who will help you with your struggles! Just remember little by little, step by step, brick by brick

Good luck and stay strong

You're doing all the right things op, I'm crippled by anxiety a lot of the time when I'm my clothes or at social events but making close friends who allow me to sit in the corner & watch, or do my own thing has helped. We stopped attending socials because I don't cope well, but the pay off is that I'm able to go to clubs alone if I'm allowed to do my own thing & leave when I'm over whelmed. Here's hoping you find what works for you you're approaching things the right way X

By *lantrisantblue1Man  over a year ago

Pontyclun

Have suffered for years with this myself. Christ the times I have gone away on lads trips, and just suddenly got up and disappeared for hours on end, sometimes even jumping on a train and going home without saying a word to anyone, have been to numerous to mention. God knows what they must have thought, have only just talking about it, one good friend in particular he said he always wondered why I would just disappear for no reason, now he understands. I find Sertraline helps, but don’t put myself in those situations as much now as I used to, and keep making excuses not to bother going.

Hi all, I’ve been listening to a podcast called the ”Huberman Lab”. Specifically, episode 10 is about stress and anxiety.

This is undoubtedly the most comprehensive and up to date information I have heard, backed by quality data. There are some really practical tools in there, and also great information to help understand anxiety and stress.

My first introduction to Andrew Huberman was through this podcast:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6weYFY29tqtMbcnIowwMr9?si=ua5gU_n4Qw-8m_gVXEq4EA&dl_branch=1

(If you have spotify?)  Otherwise it's on youtube too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQhKFMxmDY&t=639s

It's a really great introduction to Andrew Huberman as a person, and it really added weight to his other lectures.

Andrew Huberman's own podcast, called the “Huberman Lab” is super in depth, and he has multiple episodes for individual topics on health and well-being.  It takes a lot of focus to absorb the information, but I really appreciate his delivery. It’s worth the effort, I’ve learned a lot of practical knowledge through it.

This podcast has changed my life for the better, and I’d encourage anyone and everyone to listen to it.

I hope it helps.

Was suffering anxiety as a result of long covid and found reishi mushrooms you can get powder or capsules and I am a different person! I sleep I am more alert and I feel more confident but definitely more myself!

I got them from amazon, but as with everything read the instructions,,,,

» Add a new message to this topic