FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > Sick

Sick

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I know its not about swinging but the new advert about the Myra Hindley documentaries really makes me feel sick the fact they are using children's hands to make up her face in a picture .i think is oh so wrong on so many levels and very disturbing .i know its art and they want to provoke extremes but surely its very bad taste given what she's done .just wanted to say that . Poppyxx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i agree there its digusting x

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

The painting is about 20 years old. I remember the controversy at the time.

Personally, I didn't find it exploitative - I did think it was a worthwhile albeit controversial, piece of art. It did make me think a lot.

However, that's just me and I can quite see and accept that others would take a very different viewpoint.

"The painting is about 20 years old. I remember the controversy at the time.

Personally, I didn't find it exploitative - I did think it was a worthwhile albeit controversial, piece of art. It did make me think a lot.

However, that's just me and I can quite see and accept that others would take a very different viewpoint. "

i understand your view point .i didn't know it was that old .naive i suppose but i just think did they think how the victims parents would ave felt when they done it ? I know art is about pushing boundaries and being controversial at times . Its just i watched it again tonight and it still fills me full of emotion for those poor victims and their families but perhaps thats the point they doing it for? Poppyxx

" I know art is about pushing boundaries and being controversial at times . Its just i watched it again tonight and it still fills me full of emotion for those poor victims and their families but perhaps thats the point they doing it for? Poppyxx "

West Wales and Cardiff

I think some art is done purely for exploitation. I didn't feel this was at the time. I remember thinking it was really powerful, but i did question whether i should be thinking like that. However,'I couldnt stop myself thinking it was an incredibly powerful statement about the innocence of childhood/loss of that innocence.

I think art should challenge, provoke, stimulate debate. Otherwise we end up with a sea of blandness. For me, this is the "right side of the line" because of the debate it spawned in my head. I can see it the other way though.

Having said that, I know I'd feel different if my child had been killed. In a similar vein, I also know that I'm anti-capital punishment, but I'd happily kill someone who murdered my child.

"I think some art is done purely for exploitation. I didn't feel this was at the time. I remember thinking it was really powerful, but i did question whether i should be thinking like that. However,'I couldnt stop myself thinking it was an incredibly powerful statement about the innocence of childhood/loss of that innocence.

I think art should challenge, provoke, stimulate debate. Otherwise we end up with a sea of

blandness. For me, this is the "right side of the line" because of the debate it spawned in my head. I can see it the other way though.

Having said that, I know I'd feel different if my

child had been killed. In a similar vein, I also know that I'm anti-capital punishment, but I'd happily kill someone who murdered my child.

"

i understand your statement totally and can see the points you raise about art and portrayal of that .however if i was one of these victims family though i not i would take offence to

it. Perhaps its meant to be powerful but how more powerful do you have to be be in life than to take several children's lifes away ? Thats too powerful any way and to pay homage to it is sick i feel.i understand they still want to keep the fact they did raw . But I think they don't have to do it that way. I think empathy is there all the way in the very public eye towards the victims and their families .i got asked the other day by some one who is Myra Hindley ? When I mentioned it. So i suppose therefore goes the reason .xx

West Wales and Cardiff

[Removed by poster at 20/07/13 07:41:39]

West Wales and Cardiff

I honestly don't see it as a homage. i don't think it sets out to glorify Hindley and if it did I'd run a mile from it. It's definitely controversial though.

Maybe I'm naive - I'll have to read up about the artist and the fuss at the time.

I completely take your point about the feelings of the families. That's why I questioned my own feelings towards it - "I shouldn't like this, but....".

It's a tricky one, I guess. So much of what is generally considered great art could be offensive to people. I love the photography of Don McCullin - I think he's a brave genius and his photos of injured/dying soldiers and starving African kids (some who died as he took pics) are amazing. If I had a personal connection to them I'd probably feel very different though. I think it's good they exist despite that, though.

Interesting all this - I feel differently, but I respect those that share your view on this.

Blimey, my brain hurts now. I come on Fab to gaze forlornly at stunning women and end up debating stuff like this! Great really!

Oooh so deep for a sunny Saturday morning, but it did make me feel tearful seeing it x

» Add a new message to this topic