FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > Welsh History

Welsh History

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After posting on the vandalism on the memorial in Cardiff, it got me thinking about education and the lack of awareness that was taught to me in the 80's and even worse the lack of our information about our own Welsh culture. When I was in school (a very long time ago). We were taught all about the war of the roses, The black death and a pile of other useless crap about the spinning jenny that was meaningless to us. The industrial revolution was barely touched upon except to mention how brilliant the English were. So, Were you taught any Welsh history in school? or was it English propaganda?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ayandellenCouple  over a year ago

Newport, South Wales.

I learned about the "Russian steps" at school ( done me no good what so ever) have gained lots of knowledge since leaving school by getting out and seeing things, Industrial museums and NT houses.

Another source of knowledge is the internet and telly programs.

I've learnt more since leaving school than while in school, well I've had 45 years to do it. 60 and still learning.

By *utty and bustyCouple  over a year ago

port talbot / swindon

still learning here but then i did school in england

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

None at all . . it was an "English Education system" then and I even remember an older cousin who was once awarded "the Welsh knot" in class too!

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

As far as I'm aware, it's only since the Assembly was established that Welsh and Welsh history was considered culturally important again in the south. Before then it was almost seen as backwards to speak Welsh. We're always surprised at how little the language is spoken when we visit Cardiff.

Welsh lessons have always been compulsory up north (from what I remember) and the history lessons have featured local history themes as well as wider popular culture and the usual gubbins. I remember being taught about Lord Penrhyn, the slate industry, as well as the Rebecca Riots.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"As far as I'm aware, it's only since the Assembly was established that Welsh and Welsh history was considered culturally important again in the south. Before then it was almost seen as backwards to speak Welsh. We're always surprised at how little the language is spoken when we visit Cardiff.

Welsh lessons have always been compulsory up north (from what I remember) and the history lessons have featured local history themes as well as wider popular culture and the usual gubbins. I remember being taught about Lord Penrhyn, the slate industry, as well as the Rebecca Riots. "

it's astonishing isn't it, almost abhorrent that generations have lost the truth about the Welsh past. i'm glad they taught you Welsh history though, not sure if they teach it down this way.

I learn't about the chartists in school

I was schooled in England and if I'm honest I've learnt more about England, Wales and the world since I left.

We were taught local history of the county we lived in but only because the head master was very big on it

Everywhere has local history that is lost due to the system

By *lanelliguy92Man  over a year ago

Llanelli

I didn't learn much history at all really in school, we learned about crusades and stuff but very little else.

Should also state I went to a catholic school so they tried drilling religion in to you in every subject haha

By *astmeetswest77Couple  over a year ago

monmouth

"I learn't about the chartists in school"

Me too but that was about it.

I may be wrong (and please tell me if I am) but I think everything below the heads of the valley road ie. The industrial south, lost its identity a lot more through schooling in the past.

Glad to say my kids learn the Welsh language in school now. Even if it is just a small amount.

I'm 49 and all I learnt was the national anthem. My father is in his 70s and he didn't even learn that.

By *elsh and welsherCouple  over a year ago

cardiff

I (Jules) grew up in cardiff.i wasn't taught Welsh until I went to high school, 1 lesson a week as well as French and German.

I went to 3 different junior schools and in one of them I did lean about mining and went to the big pit !! And did go to St Fagons ( Welsh folk museum )

I also was never taught the national anthem in school!!

» Add a new message to this topic